PDA

View Full Version : Should Ray Lewis been a co-mvp in 2000?

The Legend
07-11-2009, 02:26 PM
Marshall Faulk had a total of 2,189 yards and 26 which is amazing for a running back, but I always hear people say their won't be another year like the year Ray Lewis had. As unstoppable as he was. I really believe it was a very close race. So I wonder what you guys think.

His 187 tackles are really amazing. Stats don't tell the whole story, but I believe everyone has heard the story about how amazing he was.

yourfavestoner
07-11-2009, 02:46 PM
I think he more than made up for it with the Superbowl MVP he got. A defensive player hasn't won the MVP since LT.

bigbluedefense
07-11-2009, 05:15 PM
I think in general, defensive players continually get snubbed in the MVP conversation.

Unfortunately, the precedent has been set that unless you have a year like Alan Page or LT had, you won't get consideration.

As impressive as Ray was, he didn't have a year like the 2 mentioned above. I would say yes, his name definitely deserved mention, but realistically you won't win MVP as a defensive player unless you have a year that defies logic.

ChezPower4
07-11-2009, 07:35 PM
No doubt about it. I personally thought that he was the "most valuable player" in the NFL that year.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
07-11-2009, 09:11 PM
The MVP title is a hard one to define, but the way it goes now is biased to offensive players because they score the points, and points win games. I need to look back at that season closer to make a judgement on this, but in general, defense will always get overlooked.

Shane P. Hallam
07-11-2009, 11:43 PM
I still say no. I remember the year, and he was great, but to be MVP, I do think you have to be absolutely over the top. He's on record as only having 107 solo tackles (30 assisted,) only 2 picks, and three sacks. Sorry, as a defensive player, I need you to dominate in all categories to hand over an MVP trophy.

E-Man
07-12-2009, 12:46 AM
He was the most valuable player to the Super Bowl champs. I think he should have won it solo. I could care less about stats when he was as dominant as he was. You have to remember that the 2000 Ravens D set an all time record for fewest points scored. Lewis did more for that D than Marshall did for his team. Faulk had a great great year, but Ray was more valuable. The key word is valuable here.

The Legend
07-12-2009, 02:54 AM
I still say no. I remember the year, and he was great, but to be MVP, I do think you have to be absolutely over the top. He's on record as only having 107 solo tackles (30 assisted,) only 2 picks, and three sacks. Sorry, as a defensive player, I need you to dominate in all categories to hand over an MVP trophy.

ESPN is wrong on the 107 part come on I'm shocked you even believe that.
Ravens have him at 187 tackles and every report say it was the most tackles he ever had in a season.

Gay Ork Wang
07-12-2009, 03:54 AM
Ravens have him at 187 tackles and every report say it was the most tackles he ever had in a season.
tackles are really hard to judge, everyone has different stats

CC.SD
07-12-2009, 01:23 PM
I can see where there's an argument but you have to consider that Marshall was basically untouchable and the Rams were the most exciting offense the league had seen in a good long time. There's no way the MVP was going to a defensive player that year.

GhostDeini
07-12-2009, 05:35 PM
Tackle is not an official statistic, but I'll still go by what NFL.com goes by instead of ESPN. ESPN had like 120 tackles for some DT and I know for a fact that's b/s. Anyway, NFL MVP lost it's value when Shaun Alexander "won" it.

Shane P. Hallam
07-12-2009, 09:31 PM

I've confirmed the 107 tackles and 30 assisted from 4 separate reliable sources online. I can provide links if need be.

CashmoneyDrew
07-12-2009, 09:48 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna side with JBond on the tackles here. I've heard that the Ravens stat keepers have been generous with their tackles before. Especially towards Ray Lewis.

badgerbacker
07-12-2009, 10:15 PM
I'm not believing anybody's stats until I hear the numbers that Kickmikehass' dad came up with.

The Legend
07-12-2009, 10:52 PM
Yeah, I'm gonna side with JBond on the tackles here. I've heard that the Ravens stat keepers have been generous with their tackles before. Especially towards Ray Lewis.

107 thought come one! Ray Lewis back in the day did that in 11-12 games.

Shane P. Hallam
07-12-2009, 10:54 PM
I haven't found a reliable source saying Ray Lewis had 187 tackles.

107 + 30 Assisted (about):

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/LewiRa00.htm

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=964

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/3542/career

roscoesdad27
07-13-2009, 07:19 PM
he should have been mvp without question...the most dominate player on the stingiest defense of all times....theres no doubt in my mind that ray wouldve dominated marshall had they played that season, and i love me some marshall.

roscoesdad27
07-13-2009, 07:25 PM
As impressive as Ray was, he didn't have a year like the 2 mentioned above. I would say yes, his name definitely deserved mention, but realistically you won't win MVP as a defensive player unless you have a year that defies logic.

he was the most dominate player and inspirational leader on the stingiest defense ever!...what makes that feat even more amazing is the fact that they did it in an offensively dominated era...."defying logic" you could say.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-13-2009, 08:30 PM
There's two discussions to be had here. We can debate the merits of Lewis' season or we can discuss whether defensive players should be given more credence in MVP consideration. Without a doubt, the answer to the second question is a resounding yes. However, based on the way the MVP award has defined itself in the last two decades or so, Lewis shouldn't have won it.

It was a great season by Lewis, but let's be honest. First off, he didn't make that Ravens defense. He made it markedly better, but that was the best all-around defense I've ever seen take the field over a season. He put together a fantastic season as a middle linebacker, but I'm not even convinced it was so far and above a few other years by middle linebackers I can recall (Urlacher's 2006 comes to mind). Second off, his statistical production wasn't through the roof.

Faulk led his team in receptions, broke the single season touchdown record, and made everything about that St. Louis offense possible. Lewis had a great year, but Faulk had a truly spectacular year and definitely would have gotten my vote.

Chief49er
07-14-2009, 11:33 PM
Sorry, but who cares really?