PDA

View Full Version : Current Starting QBs With SB Ring

jag
07-12-2009, 12:03 PM
I was bored recently and decided to try and name all the starting QBs in the league today with a Superbowl ring to call their own.

The list reads as follows:

Eli Manning
Peyton Manning
Ben Roethlisberger
Tom Brady
Kurt Warner

That's it, a whopping 5 different QBs. I guess it surprised me, and really went to show how big of an accomplishment winning the ring truly is.

These 5 men represent 8 rings that have been won over the past 10 years (the other two rings were won by Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson--WHAT??).

Now, the point of this thread is to argue which modern day QBs will add their name to this incredibly elite list. And please, supply some back story to your argument, no one word responses.

Addict
07-12-2009, 12:13 PM
I'd say either McNabb or Brees. Brees because he's just awesome and the Saints D is improving (and their offense is, well, the Saints offense)

McNabb because the eagles look primed to do something big this year.

jag
07-12-2009, 12:18 PM
I'd say either McNabb or Brees. Brees because he's just awesome and the Saints D is improving (and their offense is, well, the Saints offense)

McNabb because the eagles look primed to do something big this year.

I don't know about Brees. He is definitely a top notch QB, however, his defense is just abysmal.

As for McNabb, if he doesn't get his ring this year I don't like his chances moving on.

SuperKevin
07-12-2009, 12:19 PM
I'd say if LaDainian Tomlinson avoids the 30+ decline for RBs and Merriman comes back 100% then Phillip Rivers has an excellent chance to join them. He's become one of the leagues most efficient QBs in my opinion and they definately have the talent to make a run

BeerBaron
07-12-2009, 12:21 PM
Aye, Rivers I think would be next on my list. The Chargers are an amazingly talented team who could contend with any other on any given day, they just need to put it all together.

Addict
07-12-2009, 12:27 PM
ah yes I forgot about the Chargers

jag
07-12-2009, 12:32 PM
Agreed on Rivers, I do love what San Diego has going on.

What do you guys think of Jay Cutler? I think if the Bears can add a solid WR they can contend.

BeerBaron
07-12-2009, 12:36 PM
Agreed on Rivers, I do love what San Diego has going on.

What do you guys think of Jay Cutler? I think if the Bears can add a solid WR they can contend.

It looks bad, but Hester and Olsen are going to break out this year barring injuries. Cutler loved Sheffler in Denver and Olsen has twice the ability, and Hester is entering his 3rd season as a WR, which is the one were breakouts typically occur, and word is he's been looking decent.

I just didn't want to mention Cutler because I didn't want to put the homer jinx on him, but since you brought him up, well, theres my $0.02

jag
07-12-2009, 12:39 PM
It looks bad, but Hester and Olsen are going to break out this year barring injuries. Cutler loved Sheffler in Denver and Olsen has twice the ability, and Hester is entering his 3rd season as a WR, which is the one were breakouts typically occur, and word is he's been looking decent.

I just didn't want to mention Cutler because I didn't want to put the homer jinx on him, but since you brought him up, well, theres my $0.02

Would you even bother with Plaxico?

Brent
07-12-2009, 12:45 PM
Bears said they arent interested in Plax.

It looks bad, but Hester and Olsen are going to break out this year barring injuries. Cutler loved Sheffler in Denver and Olsen has twice the ability, and Hester is entering his 3rd season as a WR, which is the one were breakouts typically occur, and word is he's been looking decent
No love for Earl Bennett? I would like to see him and Cutler pick up where they left off in college.

BeerBaron
07-12-2009, 12:51 PM
Would you even bother with Plaxico?

I personally would bother, but the Bears claim not to be interested. For a one year rental, even if he's suspended a few games of it, I'd chance it.

No love for Earl Bennett? I would like to see him and Cutler pick up where they left off in college.

Bennett had some issues as a rookie and barely got to see the field...I'd love for he and Cutler to be dynamic, but he has to actually see the field first...

diabsoule
07-12-2009, 12:57 PM
I think it goes like this:

Philip Rivers

Jay Cutler

Drew Brees

Donovan McNabb

Matty Ryan

Tony Romo

Joe Flacco

CC.SD
07-12-2009, 01:29 PM
Wow I didn't even have to get out my homer hammer to get Rivers some love.

Last year the Chargers offense was seriously explosive, and that's much more impressive in my opinion when you consider that the D never got off the field, ever. Horrific on 3rd down last year. With the return of Merriman (maybe even Cromartie...who the hell knows) to full health and the addition of English, I think odds are great that the Chargers will play some defense.

That in turn should set up the Rivers/LT/Gates/Chambers/Jackson offense. With pinch hitters like Sproles and young guys at WR like Floyd and Naanee (Buster Davis? Now or never.), Rivers is going to have a freaking ton of weapons. I am, as always, extremely hopeful that they can put together a 3 or 4 game winning streak in the playoffs.

Geo
07-12-2009, 01:46 PM
Could also add Favre, unofficially for now.

d34ng3l021
07-12-2009, 02:10 PM
In terms of likeliness:

1. Philip Rivers
With the drafting of AJ Smith and the already talent filled roster of the Chargers, the guy who put up 34 TDs to 11 interceptions at the age of 27 is going to get his ring sometime in his career.

2. Donovan McNabb
He already has 5 NFCCG and 1 SB appearance and the Eagles seem to be getting better. Their defense overacheived to the #3 spot last year, but that is not to say that they suck; they have talent everywhere. Hopefully they can do well without Jim Johnson at DC. The offense is adding playmakers for McNabb's disposal and he should do very well with them.

3. Drew Brees
It was hard for me to put a division rival here, but Brees is an amazing QB. He can make do on an offense with whatever type of running game (28th in rushing) and receivers (leading receiver was a guy named Lance Moore who came out of nowhere). If they can get a consistent kicking came and a defense that picks it up a little, I don't see why they can't be considered a Superbowl quality team.

4. Matt Ryan
He has shown a great football IQ in his rookie season and I expect his decision making (39.5 attempts per interception) and accuracy (61%) to only get better as he puts more and more work into his game. The main reason I think he is the 4th most likely QB to get his 1st ring is because of Tom Dmitroff and Mike Smith. Dmitroff has shown he will give Ryan the proper weapons (got Michael Turner. traded for Tony Gonzalez) and surround the offense and defense with talent. Mike Smith won CotY and really brought a desolated locker room together and the players love playing for him.

5. Jay Cutler
I personally like Aaron Rodgers over Jay Cutler, but I think Cutler may be in a better position to win a SB. I like their offense with Cutler and Forte and their defense is in a better shape right now (not the Chicago of old, but ranked 16th in points given up).

HM: Aaron Rodgers [how will the D be?], Joe Flacco [loss of Rex Ryan? weapons on offense?], Tony Romo [choke in playoffs?].

bored of education
07-12-2009, 02:13 PM
Matt Cassel will have one soon!

Malaka
07-12-2009, 02:26 PM
1. Philip Rivers: He's young, his team is very talented, and he should be able to lead this San Diego team to at least one Super Bowl victory in his tenure. He still has a long time to do it, but the clock is ticking.

2. Matt Ryan: He's the future QB of the NFL, if the Falcons can develop well, he will be able to lead this team to multiple Super Bowl victories, he is that type of player, in the Tom Brady mold, when its crunch time he shows up, and he is a great leader, at 25 years old by the end of his career I definitely see him with a SB Ring.

3. Drew Brees: There is no doubt Brees deserves to be a Super Bowl winner. As engineer of one of the best offenses in the NFL he is always one to put up eye popping numbers, but the Saints always disappoint on defense, if they can shore up the defense and make it respectable I can definitely see Brees winning a SB with NO.

4.Jay Cutler: As with Philip Rivers, he is young and has the tools to be successful. Now he is away from Broncos team, that pretty much imploded on itself this offseason, though the offense is not as high powered, he has some pieces that he can make work.

5. Donovan McNabb: Honestly I really don't think McNabb will ever win a SB, he's already 32, and has already blown his chances, especially in 05' when he had arguably his best Eagles team on his hands. Now over 32, his team is still a contender, but I just never see him getting over the hump, if he can get it done in the next 2 years, considered him finished, or at least I will.

Others: (6) Aaron Rodgers, (7) Joe Flacco, (8) Tony Romo,

TitleTown088
07-12-2009, 03:03 PM
You forgot Favre.

scottyboy
07-12-2009, 04:01 PM
Mike Teel. That's right, in the year 2015, Mike Teel will lead the Seahawks to a super bowl victory.

i had to, since I couldn't break out the Giants homer here...because Eli's already got one :)

jag
07-12-2009, 04:05 PM
You forgot Favre.

Last time I checked Tavaris Jackson was the Vikings starting QB.

Bengalsrocket
07-12-2009, 04:13 PM
Palmer is about to win a ring this year...

seriously though, I think McNabb has the next best shot

jballa838
07-12-2009, 04:23 PM
by the time Colt Brennan gets the reigns in Washington, the talent around him on offense will be developed nicely, with the exception of having an old CP in the backfield. Chances of them doing this really depends on how much they want to focus on developing a team, and not just trying to buy a championship. I think Seattle is a few WR's away from being a solid D oriented contender with their LB Core, and their playmakers in the defensive backfield (love Marcus Trufant). Give us two seasons and Denver's #1 overall pick next year which we already own on Taylor Mays and this team is built like the 2000 Ravens.

BeerBaron
07-12-2009, 04:27 PM
Give us two seasons and Denver's #1 overall pick next year which we already own on Eric Berry and this team is built like the 2000 Ravens.

While I may not totally agree with what you are saying, I did have to fix one part in there that was really bothering me......

TitleTown088
07-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Last time I checked Tavaris Jackson was the Vikings starting QB.

When was the last time you checked? 2007? :)

superman8456
07-12-2009, 04:33 PM
Just for arguments sake, I think Jake Delhomme has a chance at a ring.

BeerBaron
07-12-2009, 04:38 PM
Just for arguments sake, I think Jake Delhomme has a chance at a ring.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/beansdooma/delhomme.png

jballa838
07-12-2009, 04:43 PM
While I may not totally agree with what you are saying, I did have to fix one part in there that was really bothering me......
I Dont know what i was thinking. Thanks.

and lol. Jake Delhomme has had enough chances.

jag
07-12-2009, 04:45 PM
When was the last time you checked? 2007? :)

haha, very true. I have a horrid T-Jack bias. I've been living in Minneapolis the past 3 years, and mark my words. If TJ ever truly gets the reins, he will become a pro-bowl QB.

GB12
07-12-2009, 04:49 PM
haha, very true. I have a horrid T-Jack bias. I've been living in Minneapolis the past 3 years, and mark my words. If TJ ever truly gets the reins, he will become a pro-bowl QB.
Hahahahahaahhaahahaha

WTF, are you actually serious?

CC.SD
07-12-2009, 04:53 PM

hummus just came out my nose. Hummus!

iowatreat54
07-12-2009, 04:55 PM

You can't be serious....

I guess a season in which he played 12 games with a 70 passer rating wasn't good enough.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock
07-12-2009, 05:45 PM
1) Phillip Rivers- Has the pieces in place to win a championship. Will continue to develop into an All-pro quarterback
2) Aaron Rodgers- Plays for a great organization that will get him what he needs to win a championship.
3) Drew Brees- Best quarterback out of the group. Great QB's find a way to win a championship. Smart passer, would take any team with an average defense to the super bowl.
4) Matt Ryan- Impressive in rookie year. Has a young go to wide reciever and franchise runningback. Defense will need to improve
5) Matt Leinhart- Probably a bit of a shocker to see him over Jay Cutler. If he can't win a super bowl learning from Warner and throwing to boldin/fitzgerald combo will be an all time bust.

jag
07-12-2009, 08:38 PM
I'm actually serious. I thought he was excellent in the pre-season last year prior to his injury, and then when he came back he was phenomenal in the final two games. Unfortunately, he ran into Philly's D in the playoffs.

People rip on him, but he's been coping with having Brad Childress as a coach.

I'm fully aware of how foolish it sounds, but I actually really like the guy haha.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-13-2009, 12:33 AM
Kyle motherflippin' Orton.

The Legend
07-13-2009, 12:42 AM
McNabb or Rivers

superman8456
07-13-2009, 12:49 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/beansdooma/delhomme.png

DeAngello Williams, Jonathan Stewart, good oline play, Steve Smith, and good defensive play could definitely lead them to a SB victory.

BeerBaron
07-13-2009, 01:05 AM
DeAngello Williams, Jonathan Stewart, good oline play, Steve Smith, and good defensive play could definitely lead them to a SB victory.

That could have happened last year easily. Then....well, re-look at the cartoon.

Smokey Joe
07-13-2009, 01:37 AM
That is easily one of the greatest cartoons ever.

Sniper
07-13-2009, 08:22 AM
5. Donovan McNabb: Honestly I really don't think McNabb will ever win a SB, he's already 32, and has already blown his chances, especially in 05' when he had arguably his best Eagles team on his hands. Now over 32, his team is still a contender, but I just never see him getting over the hump, if he can get it done in the next 2 years, considered him finished, or at least I will

Not to nitpick, but his best chance was '04, not '05.

Sniper
07-13-2009, 08:23 AM
hummus just came out my nose. Hummus!

What's that like? I assume it doesn't burn like soda, but hummus out of the nose can't be a pleasant feeling.

GB12
07-13-2009, 11:07 AM
That is easily one of the greatest cartoons ever.
He really should send it in to ESPN or something. That should be shared with the world.

LizardState
07-13-2009, 01:38 PM
1) Phillip Rivers- Has the pieces in place to win a championship. Will continue to develop into an All-pro quarterback...................

3) Drew Brees- Best quarterback out of the group. Great QB's find a way to win a championship. Smart passer, would take any team with an average defense to the super bowl.

3. Drew Brees
It was hard for me to put a division rival here, but Brees is an amazing QB. He can make do on an offense with whatever type of running game (28th in rushing) and receivers (leading receiver was a guy named Lance Moore who came out of nowhere). If they can get a consistent kicking came and a defense that picks it up a little, I don't see why they can't be considered a Superbowl quality team.

Rivers & Brees for me, the 2 Bolts QBs of yesteryear. Rivers b/c he has learned to be a field general, game mgr, & team leader & has overcome his weird-ass sidearm throwing motion that was the biggest knock on him in his draft. He has the best supporting cast roster of those listed to get a SB ring.

And Brees b/c he is beloved by his team mates wherever, especially his receivers, b/c he simply throws one of the most catchable balls in the NFL. He also has a comeback kid reputation, & inspires his offense with that capability when they get behind as the Saints often are with their Cry For My Mama & Hope He Drops It pass defense.

No, not Favre, although he does have a SB ring. He isn't back in the League is he? Pls. tell me Minnesota hasn't been dumb enough to sign him yet. If they did then the Vikes can add to their collection of ignominious NFL titles, the team that a lot of NFL rcds. were set against (e.g, 99 yds, longest run from scrimmage set by Tony Dorsett in the 70s) -- this time they can get in the rcd. books with their QB breaking his own rcds. by setting the career highest INT total:mad: The Kamikaze Vikes, the most self-destructive team in NFL history. If there's a single land mine on a huge fb field the Vikings will be the team to step on it.

BlindSite
07-13-2009, 06:46 PM
That could have happened last year easily. Then....well, re-look at the cartoon.

The defense tanked late in the year, if you remember Carolina had a great defense (best against the pass in the league) up until about week 10 when the defensive tackle position got beat up and lost it's depth. Trgovac failed to adjust heading into the playoffs and for some unknown god forsaken reason left a nickel or dime back on fitzgerald instead of putting Gamble on him.

Realistically we've got a great offensive unit, and if that unit is given anywhere near decent support from the defense opposing teams are going to find it difficult to get 6 turn overs out of Delhomme. He played well for 15 out of 17 weeks and before that was considered a great playoff QB.

That rep has been tarnished and rightly so, but when you break it down, of the mid to lower QBs in the NFL.

Once you get past guys like Brees, Cutler, Rivers, McNabb the guys who have the talent to win super bowls.

Delhomme is right at the top of the list of the scrappers who're likely to make everyone go WTF? How'd he do that?

That said, it's a long road ahead.

Rivers would be the top of the list to be the next one to get a ring, but realistically one has to ask just how far can the Bolts go with Turner at the helm? Yeah he's been a decent enough coach at times, but does he have the talent to out scheme some of the best that we see in the playoffs?

TitleTown088
07-13-2009, 07:36 PM
I'm actually serious. I thought he was excellent in the pre-season last year prior to his injury, and then when he came back he was phenomenal in the final two games. Unfortunately, he ran into Philly's D in the playoffs.

People rip on him, but he's been coping with having Brad Childress as a coach.

I'm fully aware of how foolish it sounds, but I actually really like the guy haha.
Ha, you may not get to see much more of him in Minny.

NFL Network's Mike Lombardi reports that he's "been hearing talk" that Tarvaris Jackson might request a trade if and when the Vikings sign Brett Favre.

haha, what the hell has Tjack done to deserve to demand a trade?

SuperKevin
07-13-2009, 07:50 PM
haha, what the hell has Tjack done to deserve to demand a trade?

It'll be the first and only time in history an NFL team trades with an UFL team

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-13-2009, 07:53 PM
Carson Palmer anyone?

GB12
07-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Who the hell would trade for Tarvaris Jackson?

yodabear
07-13-2009, 08:02 PM
Jamarcus Russell=Al Davis is gonna look like a genius some day.

Marc Bulger=Cuz I am a Rams fan.

Tavaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels=They will win it as backups to Brett Favre.

SuperKevin
07-13-2009, 08:21 PM
Carson Palmer anyone?

It really depends on if they can get someone to step up across from OchoCinco now.

Bucs_Rule
07-15-2009, 08:09 AM
Rivers: A young great QB on a young, very talented team. He will have many years to win it. Dislike the coach, but Rivers is young and will still be in his prime once Turner is finally axed.

Gay Ork Wang
07-15-2009, 08:42 AM
David Carr was #1 overall and has a ring. Id say Boom

Geo
07-15-2009, 09:28 AM
I don't think Carr has a SB ring. Mr. White Gloves was on the Carolina Panthers in 07, he signed with the Giants the next year.

Gay Ork Wang
07-15-2009, 01:04 PM
yea i got that mixed up. So Bust.

But Byron Leftwich. Boom

bigbluedefense
07-16-2009, 12:28 PM
Phillip Rivers and Matt Ryan will add their names to this list.

Maybe Rodgers.

Maybe Cutler.

Xenos
07-16-2009, 01:20 PM
Rivers & Brees for me, the 2 Bolts QBs of yesteryear. Rivers b/c he has learned to be a field general, game mgr, & team leader & has overcome his weird-ass sidearm throwing motion that was the biggest knock on him in his draft. He has the best supporting cast roster of those listed to get a SB ring.

And Brees b/c he is beloved by his team mates wherever, especially his receivers, b/c he simply throws one of the most catchable balls in the NFL. He also has a comeback kid reputation, & inspires his offense with that capability when they get behind as the Saints often are with their Cry For My Mama & Hope He Drops It pass defense.

No, not Favre, although he does have a SB ring. He isn't back in the League is he? Pls. tell me Minnesota hasn't been dumb enough to sign him yet. If they did then the Vikes can add to their collection of ignominious NFL titles, the team that a lot of NFL rcds. were set against (e.g, 99 yds, longest run from scrimmage set by Tony Dorsett in the 70s) -- this time they can get in the rcd. books with their QB breaking his own rcds. by setting the career highest INT total:mad: The Kamikaze Vikes, the most self-destructive team in NFL history. If there's a single land mine on a huge fb field the Vikings will be the team to step on it.
How has Rivers overcome his throwing motion? It's one of his best traits since it allows him to have such a quick release. The downside is that there's more chance to get balls batted down, but considering the infrequency of it happening, it doesn't really matter.

If anything, Rivers has managed to overcome his cement legs when it comes to moving in the pocket. He's much better at moving in the pocket to make a play now than in the past, evidenced by his QB rating being one of the highest after being touched.

As for Brees comeback reputation, it's one of the things he needs to improve actually. Brees is one of the guys that doesn't do well when his rhythm is broken up. Once his perfect flow is disrupted, he has a hard time getting back in the game. He has had only two comebacks over the years if you combined his SD and NO careers. Some of it is on his defense, and the other is on him as well.

Xenos
07-16-2009, 01:23 PM
The defense tanked late in the year, if you remember Carolina had a great defense (best against the pass in the league) up until about week 10 when the defensive tackle position got beat up and lost it's depth. Trgovac failed to adjust heading into the playoffs and for some unknown god forsaken reason left a nickel or dime back on fitzgerald instead of putting Gamble on him.

Realistically we've got a great offensive unit, and if that unit is given anywhere near decent support from the defense opposing teams are going to find it difficult to get 6 turn overs out of Delhomme. He played well for 15 out of 17 weeks and before that was considered a great playoff QB.

That rep has been tarnished and rightly so, but when you break it down, of the mid to lower QBs in the NFL.

Once you get past guys like Brees, Cutler, Rivers, McNabb the guys who have the talent to win super bowls.

Delhomme is right at the top of the list of the scrappers who're likely to make everyone go WTF? How'd he do that?

That said, it's a long road ahead.

Rivers would be the top of the list to be the next one to get a ring, but realistically one has to ask just how far can the Bolts go with Turner at the helm? Yeah he's been a decent enough coach at times, but does he have the talent to out scheme some of the best that we see in the playoffs?
Turner is a better playoff coach than he is a regular season coach apparently. What SD needs to do is hire Marty back and have him coach during the regular season, and then have Turner coach in the playoffs. Hey, if SD had a healthy Rivers, LT, and Gates, they may have beaten NE in the 2007 AFC Championship game.

CC.SD
07-16-2009, 05:20 PM
Turner is a better playoff coach than he is a regular season coach apparently. What SD needs to do is hire Marty back and have him coach during the regular season, and then have Turner coach in the playoffs. Hey, if SD had a healthy Rivers, LT, and Gates, they may have beaten NE in the 2007 AFC Championship game.

Bygones, bygones.