PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Mason Retires

America
07-13-2009, 04:22 PM
Ravens | Mason announces retirement
Mon, 13 Jul 2009 14:11:38 -0700

JOCKlife.com reports Baltimore Ravens WR Derrick Mason has announced this retirement from professional football. "I have had a tremendous career and I played for two great teams, I had fun. In my career, I have been able to do everything but win a Super Bowl. I've had the opportunity to play on great teams and with great players. After 12 years, I have seen it all and done it all," Mason stated. "Right now, I am content with the decision I am making. All good things come to an end and I am ready to see what else life has to offer."

This sucks some D. Trade for Brandon Marshall...
A Clayton, D-Will starting lineup is just plain ugly.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-13-2009, 04:29 PM
**** DERRICK MASON!!!! I hate his guts!!! He showed he was a selfish player when he bitched about Clayton gettin the ball more than he did a couple years ago. This is ******* ridiculous he bent us over and ****** us good!!! He should have retired right after the season so we could have taken Kenny Britt or Nicks in the draft!!! **** YOU DERRICK MASON!!!!

The Great Jonathan Vilma
07-13-2009, 04:34 PM
That is a serious shock. He was freaking great last season...

Strongside
07-13-2009, 04:38 PM
That one hurts.

wicket
07-13-2009, 04:38 PM
well now you lot just have to trade for marshall

jkpigskin
07-13-2009, 04:40 PM
What In The World???
This Totally Came Out Of Nowhere?!?!?
Qui23hrj392ohr23no2i3n
23ruo32ro32hruo32

Wtf!!!??!

EdReedUnstoppable
07-13-2009, 04:45 PM
God please let D Will be healthy all year.......PLEASE!!!!!

49ersfan_87
07-13-2009, 05:01 PM
First Willie Anderson, now Derrick Mason. What's up with all the late retirements?

Boldin and Marshall can probably both be had for the right price so it's not the end of the world. I'd imagine WR would be a big need next year anyway.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-13-2009, 05:19 PM
First Willie Anderson, now Derrick Mason. What's up with all the late retirements?

Boldin and Marshall can probably both be had for the right price so it's not the end of the world. I'd imagine WR would be a big need next year anyway.

Willie Anderson retired right around the draft so that wasn't overly late or at least we knew he was gonna retire around the draft.

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 05:20 PM
well i want to know WTF is his problem acting pissed off about his contract situation asking for another one then retiring. Also 2 weeks before camp WTF Derrick. We can keep our fingers crossed and that it was out of emotion during the McNair saga then he comes back but I doubt that happens.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-13-2009, 05:23 PM
well i want to know WTF is his problem acting pissed off about his contract situation asking for another one then retiring. Also 2 weeks before camp WTF Derrick. We can keep our fingers crossed and that it was out of emotion during the McNair saga then he comes back but I doubt that happens.

**** him, I dont care if he wants to come back I dont want to have a ****** quitter on the team. Quitters dont win superbowls and mason is a prime example of that!!!

ChewyRaven318
07-13-2009, 06:10 PM
**** him, I dont care if he wants to come back I dont want to have a ****** quitter on the team. Quitters dont win superbowls and mason is a prime example of that!!!

I honestly agree with you..but we're not gonna do **** w/ Clayton/D-will, let's be honest here, we're not a super bowl team this year unless we pull Matt Jones out of his massive coke stash and onto the field. EVEN THEN..I dunno, but I agree with you. 3 weeks before training camp? Are you effing kidding me???

I understand that he lost someone extremely close to him, and maybe it had some detrimental effects on him, but COME ON! It's just messed up to do this at the end of the offseason and not the beginning. Christ we would have traded way further up for Maclin if he had retired in March or something. I hope they're doing whatever it takes to get Mason's mind out of the gutter. Even then, this offense might slowly disintegrate if Mason's heart isn't in it anymore..

ChewyRaven318
07-13-2009, 06:12 PM

Boldin has a new agent who is frivolously working out a deal with the Cards, who have a TON more cap room than we do. Marshall's way too expensive. We can't afford to pay these guys. It's Cocaine Jones or bust..or both simultaneously.

I'm literally sick to my stomach.

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 06:31 PM
Marvin Harrison anyone? Granted he will be a 1 year quick fix but its something.

ChewyRaven318
07-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Marvin Harrison anyone? Granted he will be a 1 year quick fix but its something.

Absolutely not. You might as well keep Clayton/Williams in there.

ChewyRaven318
07-13-2009, 06:50 PM
I think a first and Mark Clayton(or Heap) to the Cards for Boldin might be a good move, that'd free up some cap room, maybe enough to sign Boldin to the deal he wants if McGahee gets cut next offseason.

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 06:51 PM
how about Plaxico or Toomer. I am just throwing names out here.

ChewyRaven318
07-13-2009, 06:55 PM
how about Plaxico or Toomer. I am just throwing names out here.

then I'm just gonna keep throwing no's out there :P.

I think it's ripe conditions to trade, there's still a window right before training camp. Ozzie better explore the options, THOUROUGHLY, before camp. This might not be such a bad thing after all, but only time will tell..

Geo
07-13-2009, 06:56 PM
Toomer is perfect.

Harrison is too soft to play at Baltimore/in the AFC North.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Wow, WTF Derrick Mason, I loved that guy, and for him to bail on the Ravens and their fans like this is real ****** up. We now have, NO PASSING GAME. WHATSOEVER. **** **** **** **** ****. WHAT THE **** DERRICK MASON! A couple weeks ago the guy was having fun at the OTA's and messin with Joe Flacco, in good shape, and now this? It's gotta be McNair's death, gotta be, cause I'm sure it wasn't a injury problem, cause the guy was tough as hell. I still don't believe this and I won't until he files the papers to the Ravens, its so hard to believe. Todd Heap better step it up BIG TIME and D-Will better stay hea or else we are screwed big time.

ChewyRaven318
07-13-2009, 07:09 PM
Wow..now Mason said he's not 100 percent sure, only 99 percent. Unbelievable. What are we, the effing Green Bay Packers? If you're gonna
retire, make a damn decision. I really don't feel like being Favred this offseason, and I know the rest of you feel the same way.

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 07:22 PM
I agree the last thing we need is a old attention *****.

America
07-13-2009, 07:25 PM
I like the idea of Toomer. I like Reggie Williams as an option. DJ Hackett is another name. Toomer is ideal in my opinion. Big threat, savvy. We need a solid veteran. And he's a good run blocker.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-13-2009, 07:38 PM
I would LOVE Toomer, we've got Clayton(Mason's carbon copy), who I think wll step up in Masons loss and play alot like him, Toomer gives up that veteran pressence, and his size is just icing on the cake.

**** you derrick mason.

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 07:41 PM
I agree Toomer is the best bet for us. But Mason still did a dick move.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-13-2009, 07:48 PM
I agree Toomer is the best bet for us. But Mason still did a dick move.

most definetly, I still can't understand why he'd do this NOW. It just isn't him.

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 07:49 PM
maybe the McNair situation just screwed up his emotions. Now he is changing it to saying he is 99% sure and he still hasnt filled out the paper work yet

trkaline
07-13-2009, 08:38 PM
Looks like its back to run run run mode, and chuck it down field again.

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 08:42 PM
Matt Cavanaugh isn't here, and it looks like Cameron knows what he is doing.

coordinator0
07-13-2009, 10:31 PM
I still don't think we would have taken a WR with our first pick if Mason retired before then... Oher is > any WR we could have gotten. I'm thinking a guy like Marvin Harrison could be in the future for the Ravens.

America
07-13-2009, 10:35 PM
I'd be surprised if we went after Marvin. He's got injury problems and is frail to begin with.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-14-2009, 03:22 AM
I still don't think we would have taken a WR with our first pick if Mason retired before then... Oher is > any WR we could have gotten. I'm thinking a guy like Marvin Harrison could be in the future for the Ravens.

FALSE!!!

Kenny Britt is amazing as is Hakeem Nicks, I'd take either one over Oher, but Im still happy we have Oher.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-14-2009, 03:24 AM
I hope they try to bring him in during a game an have some kind of tribute thing, because I can't wait to watch him get booed out of the stadium!!!!

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-14-2009, 08:52 AM
I doubt they give him any tribute. Sure, he was there best WR, but after retiring like this, HELL NO.

Loggerhead
07-14-2009, 09:55 AM
You Raven fans weren't saying **** Derrick Mason when he was playing with a torn labrum.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-14-2009, 10:27 AM
You Raven fans weren't saying **** Derrick Mason when he was playing with a torn labrum.

what are you talking about? We cheered him on, we loved him, he was the greatest WR we've had for the past two years, he just left in a very un-classy manor IMO. He should have atleast told them much earlier so they could have atleast taken a WR later in the draft. Instead, he acts fine, attends many OTA's and then two weeks before TC, he retires.

Loggerhead
07-14-2009, 10:51 AM
While he did leave in a non-classy manner I think Mason deserves more respect than he has been given in this thread. Mason was one of the few players in the NFL to leave it all on the field. ERU stated earlier that Mason was selfish ********. Mason played through constant pain, played with ****** QB play for most of his stay in Baltimore, and did it all with out becoming a headcase.

coordinator0
07-14-2009, 05:33 PM
FALSE!!!

Kenny Britt is amazing as is Hakeem Nicks, I'd take either one over Oher, but Im still happy we have Oher.

Please, enlighten me on how you know Britt and Nicks are "amazing." I would take the OL over a WR any time, and especially when the OL is more talented than the WR(s). I liked Nicks, but not over Oher.

Rayray52
07-14-2009, 06:23 PM
ERU...classy as always really just very well thought out and enlightening set of posts...Derrick Mason retiring before training camp leaves a massive hole in our receiving corps however to attack the guy and ignore all his accomplishments and contributions to the Ravens is just ignorant and plain wrong. His friend and long-time teammate Steve McNair just died and even if they weren’t the closest of friends that still has a major impact on your life when a guy that you've spent so much time with passes. Mason has a litany of legitimate reasons to retire.

Maybe with McNair dying just a year into his retirement he realizes he'd rather spend time with his family now before its too late, the Ravens also refused to give him a contract extension and while i partially agree with the front office it could also contribute Mason was severely injured last year and without larger compensation in his eyes the constant grind of an NFL season isn’t worth it. There's a multitude of reasons for Mason’s decision to retire and we will likely never know the true reason and while the timing isn’t great its completely unfair to attack him, Mason was a great receiver in his time here and helped carry this team to within a score of the super bowl he should be remembered much in the same way as McNair for the great time spent with the Ravens, personally I’m sad to see him go and will remember his time here fondly.

skinzzfan25
07-14-2009, 06:26 PM
Toomer would be nice there, but Mason is cold for doing this so late

ChewyRaven318
07-14-2009, 07:58 PM
ERU...classy as always really just very well thought out and enlightening set of posts...Derrick Mason retiring before training camp leaves a massive hole in our receiving corps however to attack the guy and ignore all his accomplishments and contributions to the Ravens is just ignorant and plain wrong. His friend and long-time teammate Steve McNair just died and even if they werenít the closest of friends that still has a major impact on your life when a guy that you've spent so much time with passes. Mason has a litany of legitimate reasons to retire.

Maybe with McNair dying just a year into his retirement he realizes he'd rather spend time with his family now before its too late, the Ravens also refused to give him a contract extension and while i partially agree with the front office it could also contribute Mason was severely injured last year and without larger compensation in his eyes the constant grind of an NFL season isnít worth it. There's a multitude of reasons for Masonís decision to retire and we will likely never know the true reason and while the timing isnít great its completely unfair to attack him, Mason was a great receiver in his time here and helped carry this team to within a score of the super bowl he should be remembered much in the same way as McNair for the great time spent with the Ravens, personally Iím sad to see him go and will remember his time here fondly.

I'm sorry, but while I agree with you, I also don't agree..if ANYTHING, McNair's death should have made Mason think the opposite, "I'm gonna have one more great year, Steve would have wanted me to continue my career"
Someone else's death is a stupid reason to hide in a shell and call it quits.

With the robustness of FAs available, we could have filled our reciever corps w/ Nate Washington or TJ Houshmanzadeh if Mason retired in March. Housh would have been a perfect fit in Mason's role.

However, Mason stuck with us, and we weren't gonna go after anyone who's a veteran wideout with the guys we have. The only option would have been the draft, but why give up the farm if you can win with the talent you have? Mason is a tough WR and prolly could have had another year as the #1.

So you'll hafta forgive Ravens fans if we find this a little upsetting. However, I'm not gonna call him a complete arse. He contributed a lot to this team..it's just a really bad way of doing it. And if this really is a way of trying to get more money and it just becomes a training camp holdout, then it's selfish and even worse.

One way or another, hopefully this isn't too detrimental to the team, but it might open up some possibilities. I'm in "stay tuned" mode right now.

Ravens1991
07-15-2009, 02:36 AM
Here is something I picked up.

In the 2006 season Clayton outproduced Mason here are the stats.

Clayton
67 catches
14 ypc
5 tds

Mason
68 catches
11 ypc
2 tds

That was when McNair had something left in the tank. In 2007 it was a cluster at the QB position w/ McNair being severly injured then BOller getting hurt but Mason out produced Clayton. and in 2008 Flacco always favored Clayton.

Maybe w/Clayton filling into the #1 role he can get as many catches as mason but get more yards for us.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 05:42 AM
Mason was a selfish guy, yes he played through injuries but so does TO so next time anyone attacks him just bring that up. Mason went to the media and cried about needing to get the ball more in McNair's second year when we were rollin and ever since then the offense was not the same and we got ousted. I blame him for slowing Mark Clayton's maturation down, and I blame him for ruining our best chance at a Super Bowl run since 2000.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 05:44 AM
While he did leave in a non-classy manner I think Mason deserves more respect than he has been given in this thread. Mason was one of the few players in the NFL to leave it all on the field. ERU stated earlier that Mason was selfish ********. Mason played through constant pain, played with ****** QB play for most of his stay in Baltimore, and did it all with out becoming a headcase.

HE WAS A ******* HEADCASE!!!!! He went to the media and bitched that he needed the ball more!!! What would you say about TO if he did that? or Ochco Cinco? Mason doesn't get a pass because he didn't do it more than once in the public eye.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 05:48 AM
ERU...classy as always really just very well thought out and enlightening set of posts...Derrick Mason retiring before training camp leaves a massive hole in our receiving corps however to attack the guy and ignore all his accomplishments and contributions to the Ravens is just ignorant and plain wrong. His friend and long-time teammate Steve McNair just died and even if they werenít the closest of friends that still has a major impact on your life when a guy that you've spent so much time with passes. Mason has a litany of legitimate reasons to retire.

Maybe with McNair dying just a year into his retirement he realizes he'd rather spend time with his family now before its too late, the Ravens also refused to give him a contract extension and while i partially agree with the front office it could also contribute Mason was severely injured last year and without larger compensation in his eyes the constant grind of an NFL season isnít worth it. There's a multitude of reasons for Masonís decision to retire and we will likely never know the true reason and while the timing isnít great its completely unfair to attack him, Mason was a great receiver in his time here and helped carry this team to within a score of the super bowl he should be remembered much in the same way as McNair for the great time spent with the Ravens, personally Iím sad to see him go and will remember his time here fondly.

Did Jermaine Lewis retire when his SON was stillborn? Did Ed Reed and Willis McGahee retire when Sean Taylor was murdered? Not saying its universal and everyone should feel the same but I don't wanna hear that garbage that he retired because of McNair because he didnt. He retired because he wants a new deal and we didn't give it to him. He's a "me me me" guy and most of all he's a quitter!

And I love how some people on here just in their heads say "his opinion on this subject is different then mine.....he's ignorant!" that always makes me chuckle.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 05:53 AM
Please, enlighten me on how you know Britt and Nicks are "amazing." I would take the OL over a WR any time, and especially when the OL is more talented than the WR(s). I liked Nicks, but not over Oher.

I know that they are amazing just as much as you know Oher will be amazing. Neither of us KNOW anything about any of the 3 players named, sure Oher looks cant miss but he hasnt played a down yet. So at this point its all opinion based and not worth arguing over.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-15-2009, 09:33 AM
lets not get stressed over Mason leaving. This opens up an oportunity for Clayton to finally show what he can do, and frankly, I don't think he will dissapoint. D-Will, if healthy can stretch defenses, and they run the ball like 35+ times a game so I think they'll be fine.

ps. GOT SUGGS LOCK UP LONGETERM!!

Loggerhead
07-15-2009, 11:03 AM
HE WAS A ******* HEADCASE!!!!! He went to the media and bitched that he needed the ball more!!! What would you say about TO if he did that? or Ochco Cinco? Mason doesn't get a pass because he didn't do it more than once in the public eye.

Let me get this straight did you just compare Mason to a guy who changed his name to Ochocinco and who admitted that he didn't lift one weight during the 2008 offseason?:rolleyes: I also don't recall him calling his QB ***. Mason was A COMPETITOR of course he wanted the ball, who doesn't? Mason never divided a team over his selfishness like a TO or Johnson.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 02:26 PM
Let me get this straight did you just compare Mason to a guy who changed his name to Ochocinco and who admitted that he didn't lift one weight during the 2008 offseason?:rolleyes: I also don't recall him calling his QB ***. Mason was A COMPETITOR of course he wanted the ball, who doesn't? Mason never divided a team over his selfishness like a TO or Johnson.

After Mason's bitching the team took a nose dive offensively because we tried to force it to him, he ruined the team on the field, which TO never does! TO and Ocho are elite WRs I can deal with them bitching but a possesion WR who can't stretch the field has no right to ***** and complain!

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 02:29 PM
lets not get stressed over Mason leaving. This opens up an oportunity for Clayton to finally show what he can do, and frankly, I don't think he will dissapoint. D-Will, if healthy can stretch defenses, and they run the ball like 35+ times a game so I think they'll be fine.

ps. GOT SUGGS LOCK UP LONGETERM!!

I'm not stressed that he's gone, Clayton is a mirror image so thats no big deal, I'm just pissed off at the way he did it. It's a HUGE DICKHEAD MOVE! Retire before the draft so we could get quality depth replacement for you.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-15-2009, 02:53 PM
yeah, no doubt, very un-classy move, but who can blame him, he's got his own personal issues. I think Mark Clayton will fill in very nicely. I just have a feeling the guy is gonna explode since we finally got a legit QB. So, lets get over Mason and look forward to the 09 season!

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Harbaugh is now going to try to beg him to come back...... F DAT! I don't want him back, he obviously is not fully committed to the team so let him go and get someone else or go with the guys you have.

Ravens1991
07-15-2009, 04:41 PM
I really do think Clayton will be able to replace Mason well. Just look at the 2006 season.

The thing is we really dont have any WR depth now.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 05:47 PM
I really do think Clayton will be able to replace Mason well. Just look at the 2006 season.

The thing is we really dont have any WR depth now.

I agree we don't have any proven depth on the roster but to me it would be insanely exciting to see these young guys get a chance to earn their keep. I will be beyond excited if we go into the season with our 1-3 as D Will #1/Clayton #2/Marcus Smiff #3 and then some arrangement of the follwing guys K Dub (Kelley Washington)/Justin Harper/Isaiah Williams/Eron Riley. I know this probably wont be a popular opinion but its just my personal feeling on things.

Ravens1991
07-15-2009, 05:55 PM
I think that can be a nasty WR corp if they develop as planned(big if I admit, Dwill is injury prone,Clayton inconsistent, and Smith has not proved a thing on the field)

Dwill can be the vertical threat and the big play WR

Clayton will be the Mr. Reliable guy

and Smith will be a great blocker and a physical WR. I think he can be a poor mans Boldin.

but I would like a veteran WR there for leadership

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 06:06 PM
I think that can be a nasty WR corp if they develop as planned(big if I admit, Dwill is injury prone,Clayton inconsistent, and Smith has not proved a thing on the field)

Dwill can be the vertical threat and the big play WR

Clayton will be the Mr. Reliable guy

and Smith will be a great blocker and a physical WR. I think he can be a poor mans Boldin.

but I would like a veteran WR there for leadership

Yeah personally I'd like to see us cut K Dub just because Ive never been very high on him, and sign Toomer. Then you're not losing a spot for a young guy, you're just upgrading your veteran mid depth chart WR. I hope even if we were to bring in a Toomer that D Will and Clayton start the season as 1-2. Man I'm gettin soft in my old age, in the old days I would be goin nuts about this Mason situation for the next couple months, but now Im moved on and OPTIMISTIC for the young players for once........Shocking!

Ravens1991
07-15-2009, 06:09 PM
yes it is shocking. Pessimism was to ERU what Crab cakes are to Baltimore. It is shocking.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 06:13 PM
yes it is shocking. Pessimism was to ERU what Crab cakes are to Baltimore. It is shocking.

It's true, but I've turned over a new leaf on and off the boards!

Ravens1991
07-15-2009, 06:17 PM
thats good everyone changes for the better in life! I am atcually excited for the WR corp now the more I think about it. We got 3 relatively young WR and they all are fairly talented. 2 go w/ a real young and talented QB.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 06:25 PM
thats good everyone changes for the better in life! I am atcually excited for the WR corp now the more I think about it. We got 3 relatively young WR and they all are fairly talented. 2 go w/ a real young and talented QB.

Not to mention a guy I think is gonna be the next great run/catch RBs in Ray Rice. To me he is gonna be a more powerful version of Brian Westbrook when he fully developes, hopefully towards the middle of this season. And also not to mention and insanely talented incredibly young Offensive line!!!

Ravens1991
07-15-2009, 06:30 PM
yes our young offensive line is orgasmic. Matt Birk is old but Chester was improving last season so hopefully he can take over C when Birk leaves!

That is a good comparison on RIce, IDK if he will be as good at catching as Westbrooke but he is a bad ass.

Another guy I am interested in watching develop is Davon Drew the TE we drafted. He is really athletic yet very raw I want to see how we develop him. Maybe we develop him into a nice pass catcher in the future. He was a QB in college for a bit so that is another trickster we have on offense.

ALso I think him and Quinn an be a nice TE set after Heap and LJ retire. Davon is a option to use him as a H-back and Quinn can be a nice blocker

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-20-2009, 12:03 PM
so? has Mason "officially" retired yet? or is it still just talk?

trkaline
07-20-2009, 12:31 PM
so? has Mason "officially" retired yet? or is it still just talk?

Nah, I think hes still stringing us along being an indecisive douchebag instead of letting us move on.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-20-2009, 08:20 PM
yeah, I think he is trying to get a bit more money. Some class huh?

Ravens1991
07-20-2009, 08:22 PM
apparentyl he is meeting w/ Ozzie and all this week. Also we brought in DJ Hackett and 3 other WR