PDA

View Full Version : Derrick Mason retired

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 04:45 PM
http://www.jocklife.com/news/nfl/baltimore-ravens-wide-receiver-derrick-mason-officially-announces-his-retirement-nfl-27464

reported on local news stations as well.

God we really need to go after Marshall hard now

49ersfan_87
07-13-2009, 04:47 PM
http://www.jocklife.com/news/nfl/baltimore-ravens-wide-receiver-derrick-mason-officially-announces-his-retirement-nfl-27464

reported on local news stations as well.

God we really need to go after Marshall hard now

Yikes, the WR depth chart isn't very pretty. Giving Flacco some weapons in the early stages is key. I imagine they will probably get in trade talks for Marshall and Boldin.

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 04:48 PM
well I think Clayton can replace mason decently he did so when Mason went down this year. But Dwill is a injury waiting to happen, Marcus Smith hasnt proved anything on the field.

OMG this sucks!!!!!!!

Mr. Stiller
07-13-2009, 04:53 PM
There goes the season.

I hated that Mason was on the ravens. one of the few I can list as a true steeler killer.

Him gone.. I have yet to see Clayton step up.. Williams be more than a 3 and I don't even know what they have for depth.

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 04:55 PM
I wouldnt say our season is over yet its not like we were a team built around the pass.

I think Clayton can step up fairly well. I am still just so shocked.

Go_Eagles77
07-13-2009, 05:03 PM
I wonder if Steve McNair's death had any influence with this.

Bengalsrocket
07-13-2009, 05:11 PM

It's possible I suppose, but it's not like this is an usual retirement. The guy is 35 and he had a great career.

Ness
07-13-2009, 05:12 PM
I was wondering the same thing as well.

In any case, he was a very good wide receiver and had a very good career. Very underrated.

niel89
07-13-2009, 05:14 PM
McNairs death really must have him shook up right now. I hope that he is just in mourning and will reconsider playing after he gets better. Without Mason the Ravens have no real consistent reciving threat. Clayton is good but he hasnt proved anything, Dwill is all potential but only injuries so far. The rest of the Wrs are blah.

I think that mason was a really underrated Wr. He wasnt some crazy gamebreaker, but he was always moving the chains and hauling in passes. He was a really craft Wr and always found a way to get open. I fear this will really set back Flacco. Mason was really in tune with him

EdReedUnstoppable
07-13-2009, 05:29 PM
He's a piece of ****.....**** him!!

Gay Ork Wang
07-13-2009, 05:31 PM
He's a piece of ****.....**** him!!
i think someone is already missing him

tjsunstein
07-13-2009, 05:36 PM
Don't they have Yamon Figurs still? Championship!

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 05:38 PM
OMG dont get me started on Yamon Figurs. He sucks so bad.

WMD
07-13-2009, 05:40 PM
Damn early fantasy drafts. I'm ruined, ruined!!

EdReedUnstoppable
07-13-2009, 05:42 PM
i think someone is already missing him

Not at all! Just wish he would have done it right after the season so we could have gotten Kenny Britt!

Sniper
07-13-2009, 05:43 PM
Brandon Marshall, Baltimore Ravens, have you guys been introduced?

Odd timing unless it's post-McNair fallout.

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 05:43 PM
If Clayton can be more consistent and Dwill stays healthy I dont think we will miss him that much.

Anybody know any WR still out there in free agency? I know Marvin Harrison is

EdReedUnstoppable
07-13-2009, 05:44 PM

The problem is that we have been introduced, if we didnt know him we might trade for him.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-13-2009, 05:45 PM
If Clayton can be more consistent and Dwill stays healthy I dont think we will miss him that much.

Anybody know any WR still out there in free agency? I know Marvin Harrison is

If D Will stays healthy, then we are better this year then we were last!

Addict
07-13-2009, 05:50 PM

maybe he found out he lost a few steps during mini-camp, was considering his future and now retired. I find it strange to think that McNair getting murdered pushed Mason into retirement. I really don't see the correlation between the two events.

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 05:54 PM
Addict I agree w/ your statement about McNair.

But I just find it odd how he was begging for a new contract then he gets up and retires.

Addict
07-13-2009, 05:55 PM
Addict I agree w/ your statement about McNair.

But I just find it odd how he was begging for a new contract then he gets up and retires.

maybe the Ravens didn't want to give one and he just thought to himself "screw you guys, I'm going home"

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 05:58 PM
yea I thought that also, and he timed it so it would be horrible for us. IDK he hasnt filed the exact papers needed for retirement yet but I still think he is done

smittyjs
07-13-2009, 06:03 PM
he might have finished his career as a raven i still have mad props for what Mason did for the Titans

ChezPower4
07-13-2009, 06:05 PM
I think Mason did the Ravens no favors by retiring now right before training camp. A very unprofessional move by a man i consider classy.

Geo
07-13-2009, 06:15 PM
I think Mason did the Ravens no favors by retiring now right before training camp. A very unprofessional move by a man i consider classy.
I think this is overreaction. What's wrong with now? There's still some free agents available (ex. Amani Toomer), and the Ravens could go ahead and trade a 2010 pick for a player (ex. Josh Morgan, as San Fran signed Brandon Jones in the offseason and drafted Crabtree) if they so choose.

The worst thing to do would actually be right before the season. At least now there's still some time to work with a new addition.

And honestly, there's no timetable for this sort of thing. The man finally discovered he didn't have it in him anymore to give the game everything he has. This is an accomplished veteran who played well for many years. It happens, have some consideration for crying out loud.

PS. I am so going to draft Mark Clayton in fantasy.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-13-2009, 06:22 PM
Wow retiring now. I guarantee you if Mason retired after the end of the season the Raven's wouldn't have drafted Oher. They probably would have used their first two picks at WR. I mean last year they made the AFC championship by only being 2 deep at WR. Mason+Clayton, and Clayton wasn't there half the time. It doesn't help that Heap is a pile of Heap now. I am so sorry for Joe Flacco. The Ravens easily have the worst receiving group in the NFL right now. This is their depth chart right now:

WR 1: Mark Clayton(Inconsistent)/Justin Harper(Never had a catch in the NFL)
WR 2: Demetrius Williams(Missed all of last year with injury and has never produced on the NFL level, a great "almost catcher")/Erron Riley(Undrafted rookie from Duke)
WR 3: Marcus Smith(Can Block, that's it)/Issiah Williams(Undrafted rookie, 4th stringer at University of Maryland who had one of the most terrible passing offenses in college football)

Honestly I can't make a case for any of them being consistent enough to be a starter, including Clayton.

Definitely look for the Ravens to push a trade hard or at the very least flank Heap out wide.

BTW this is no slight on Derrick Mason. He is one of my favorite players this decade and is a warrior. Last year he was still a pro bowl level WR. I just think the timing of the retirement is sucky, but I understand the potential reasons.

Joe Flacco is guaranteed for a sophomore slump now. Say hello to 20 carries each for Mcgahee, Ray Rice, and McClain.

bored of education
07-13-2009, 06:28 PM
this sucks for the Ravens. They can have Mark Bradley for a 3rd round pick :)

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 06:35 PM
Say hello to 20 carries each for Mcgahee, Ray Rice, and McClain.

What sucks is we also let go Neal who kicked ass as a lead blocker next year, I bet you if we knew we were going to have the worst recieving corp in football we would have kept him around and let had 80% running plays

BlindSite
07-13-2009, 06:38 PM
This sucks for the Ravens, but it's hard to be angry at Mason, if your heart isn't in it 17+ weeks of pounding and pain ahead of you just isn't worth it, and better to pull out now than later.

Right now if the Ravens need a veteran Marvin Harrison will still have juice for another year and will want to go to a contender, which he'll get with the Ravens. If Plax is able to go, he's there too, then there's the trade option.

They should pick one of the two rather than trading for a guy who's on the cusp.

Ness
07-13-2009, 06:43 PM
I think this is overreaction. What's wrong with now? There's still some free agents available (ex. Amani Toomer), and the Ravens could go ahead and trade a 2010 pick for a player (ex. Josh Morgan, as San Fran signed Brandon Jones in the offseason and drafted Crabtree) if they so choose.

That really wouldn't be a good example. Josh Morgan wouldn't be traded. Brandon Jones was signed in the offseason only because Bruce was still debating retirement and we didn't know that Crabtree would fall into our laps. The consensus among fans and reports are that while Jones has looked okay in camp, it was basically a wasted signing now. Morgan has showed great potential, Bruce is still decent, and Michael Crabtree is a highly touted rookie. Add that in the fact that Vernon Davis is most likely going to finally be used to a good degree (he's been catching a majority of the balls in OTA's) and there won't be that many mouths to feed so to speak. Jason Hill and Dominique Zeigler looked good as role players behind Morgan and Bruce last season as well. Jones was really not necessary. Of course we didn't know that then.

ChezPower4
07-13-2009, 08:46 PM

The worst thing to do would actually be right before the season. At least now there's still some time to work with a new addition.

And honestly, there's no timetable for this sort of thing. The man finally discovered he didn't have it in him anymore to give the game everything he has. This is an accomplished veteran who played well for many years. It happens, have some consideration for crying out loud.

PS. I am so going to draft Mark Clayton in fantasy.

I don't fully know his reasons for retiring, but I would have to assume that he's been mulling it over for some time now. You are right that there are still some WR options for the Ravens to pursue at this point and I'm sure that if Mason had informed the Ravens that he would not be playing anymore that the Ravens would have added some WR depth in the draft. Anyone they could bring in now is most likely not going to be someone they can develop for the future.

As it is there is no rule that says when a player can and can't retire but I think his timing is very poor and leaves his former employer in a tough spot. Hence me stating that the timing of his decision was unprofessional. Would you just up and leave your job? Mason was a good player for the Ravens for many seasons but that does not excuse his action.

Matthew Jones
07-13-2009, 08:49 PM
This is interesting because ESPN mentions that he had been asking for a new contract before this and was also in the last year of his deal. It'd have at least made sense to play the last year on his deal first, especially because he was still a quality wide receiver. I expect the Ravens to go for another wide receiver.

Thumper
07-13-2009, 08:56 PM
They can have Downtown Reggie Brown. :D

the decider13
07-13-2009, 08:58 PM
They can have Brandon for Terrell Suggs straight up.

Ravens1991
07-13-2009, 09:05 PM

I have considered that deal. IDK if it would happen

Thumper
07-13-2009, 09:06 PM

That wouldn't be half bad so there is no way it gets done. Josh McDaniels isn't smart enough to get a deal like that done.

CashmoneyDrew
07-13-2009, 09:14 PM
With the timing of this, I'm willing to bet McNair's death had something to do with it.

lordquas
07-13-2009, 09:52 PM
derrick mason was so nasty.
we need marshall more than ever now.
wtf though
mason was the man
d will can do work, as well as clayton
but we need marshall soooooo ******* bad

keylime_5
07-13-2009, 10:26 PM
This won't help the chances of Joe Flaccos ignoring a sophomore slump. Their running game and OLine will carry their offense anyways I guess.

coordinator0
07-13-2009, 10:29 PM
Hello Marvin Harrison?

LonghornsLegend
07-13-2009, 10:33 PM

You can disagree with it, but unprofessional was defiantely the wrong word of choice, nothing unprofessional at all about a veteran with his resume retiring before TC starts at this point in his career.

To me the timing seems like a reaction to McNair's death, maybe he realizes he wants to start spending time with his family that he took for granted, which is perfectly fine.

kalbears13
07-13-2009, 10:44 PM
One of my favorite players. Probably my favorite player that wasn't on the Browns. Until he went to the Ravens.

Bengalsrocket
07-14-2009, 01:25 AM
why are we all assuming that he gave the organization zero notice? I can't find it in the article. He did say that he has been thinking about retirement since the end of the season, and I'd assume he ran it by the organization at that time.

I've had to watch Mason rip up the Bengals D for some time now, and I have nothing but respect for him anyways.

The Legend
07-14-2009, 01:38 AM

O'Come on. If the man wants to retire then he has the right to retire and unretire when ever he wants in my book. If the man believes he can't play the same anymore for any reason. Then its very professional of him to retire then staying with the Ravens and knowing he can't give his all. And anyone who is effected by death has the right to do what ever they want, and maybe McNair's death affected him. Thats my two cents.

Lord is right though we need Marshall so badly right now, and the Broncos know this.
Coordinator and Geo is right also we should bring Harrison & Toomer in and take a look at what they have left.
Me personally, I think we should take a look Burress. I don't think he's a team cancer. He's just a dumby with a gun.

I'm wondering who is going to play fullback when McCalin is in though. Cook is a rookie who's 230 pounds come on!

diabsoule
07-14-2009, 02:18 AM
If your looking for a veteran WR there is still some decent ones out there. No one as good as Mason but some that are decent.

Ness
07-14-2009, 03:57 AM
If Joe Flacco performs poorly this upcoming season it won't be solely because of 35 year old Derrick Mason retiring.

Thumper
07-14-2009, 04:03 AM
If Joe Flacco performs poorly this upcoming season it won't be solely because of 35 year old Derrick Mason retiring.

Well considering he was the only good receiver, yeah it kind of is.

They better run a TON this season and ride Ray Rice, Willis McGahee and McClain to victory. The best receiving options are Todd Heap and Clayton. :eek:

Ness
07-14-2009, 04:35 AM
Well considering he was the only good receiver, yeah it kind of is.

They better run a TON this season and ride Ray Rice, Willis McGahee and McClain to victory. The best receiving options are Todd Heap and Clayton. :eek:

If Flacco has to depend on Derrick Mason for his success as a future quarterback, then he isn't a very good quarterback to begin with. Regardless if his other receivers aren't as good as Mason, it will be evident who struggles more: Flacco or his targets his throwing the ball to. If it's the targets, then at least you know Flacco is doing his job well and it's his supporting cast that needs to be upgraded. If it's the other way around, then Flacco wasn't that good in the first place.

Hines
07-14-2009, 08:36 AM
Mason was one of the few Ravens I actually liked. Very tough blow for the Ravens.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-14-2009, 08:49 AM
I mean the guy was the only person willing to actually hold on and catch the ball in the playoffs and he was playing with a dislocated left shoulder and could only catch the ball by trapping it between his arm and his right shoulder pad, that is a warrior.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-14-2009, 08:51 AM
If Flacco has to depend on Derrick Mason for his success as a future quarterback, then he isn't a very good quarterback to begin with. Regardless if his other receivers aren't as good as Mason, it will be evident who struggles more: Flacco or his targets his throwing the ball to. If it's the targets, then at least you know Flacco is doing his job well and it's his supporting cast that needs to be upgraded. If it's the other way around, then Flacco wasn't that good in the first place.

You're absolutly correct. However, I do think Flacco will be fine, but it is going to take him a while to find a new go to guy. I think it is going to be Todd Heap, he still has the skills to be a top TE, he just wasn't utilized the right way last year.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Still Todd Heap can't stretch the field. If all you do is dink and dunk all day with no vertical threat eventually the DB's will guess on breaks and pick the ball off. Even if Heap returns to pro bowl form which is unlikely as he has lost a lot of explosion, this passing game is still in big time trouble with no consistent threat on the edges.

Brent
07-14-2009, 09:01 AM
Well this sucks. I loved watching Mason last year. It seemed like he was making ridiculous catches in every game.

tjsunstein
07-14-2009, 09:34 AM
Joe Flacco is a sad panda right now

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Still Todd Heap can't stretch the field. If all you do is dink and dunk all day with no vertical threat eventually the DB's will guess on breaks and pick the ball off. Even if Heap returns to pro bowl form which is unlikely as he has lost a lot of explosion, this passing game is still in big time trouble with no consistent threat on the edges.

yeah I agree, but Heap can atleast give the Ravens some help over the middle, Clayton could probably duplicate what Mason did on the sidelines, at a much lower level of production however, and Demetrius Williams, if healthy can be their deep threat. Hopefully, Mason's departure will get these younger WR's to step up. (i.e Clayton, Williams, Smith) and also get Ozzie Newsome to bring is Amani Toomer. I would love him.

Malaka
07-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Toomer still got it, he's a clutch receiver, probably move the chains on third down, would be a great #2 for Joe Flacco, hopefully Clayton would be able to take over the #1 successfully.

diabsoule
07-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Toomer still got it, he's a clutch receiver, probably move the chains on third down, would be a great #2 for Joe Flacco, hopefully Clayton would be able to take over the #1 successfully.

There's Amani Toomer, Ike Hilliard, Marvin Harrison (not a #1 or #2 but decent depth), Drew Carter, Koren Robinson, Ashley Lelie, Justin McCareins, Jerry Porter, Tab Perry, and Marty Booker.

Malaka
07-14-2009, 02:36 PM
There's Amani Toomer, Ike Hilliard, Marvin Harrison (not a #1 or #2 but decent depth), Drew Carter, Koren Robinson, Ashley Lelie, Justin McCareins, Jerry Porter, Tab Perry, and Marty Booker.

My favorites out of that bunch would have to be Toomer, Harrison, and Porter.

Hilliard I guess is a clutch 3rd down guy, he is one of the slowest receivers in the game right now. McCareins for me is a slot guy.

I really wouldn't want anyone else starting.

ChezPower4
07-14-2009, 03:11 PM

Toomer and Harrison are really the only "good" options moving forward. The Ravens should have tried to add some young depth in the draft seeing as of now their WR group is quited depleted.

aNYtitan
07-14-2009, 07:17 PM
Mason was a class act, wasn't a primadonna WR like some others, just went out and did his job, and was of the most underrated WR's in the league. 8 seasons as a Titan, and he never had an issue with the coaching staff or the QB. He just produced and stayed on the field. Sad to see him go

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 05:35 AM
Mason was a class act, wasn't a primadonna WR like some others, just went out and did his job, and was of the most underrated WR's in the league. 8 seasons as a Titan, and he never had an issue with the coaching staff or the QB. He just produced and stayed on the field. Sad to see him go

Yes he was a primadonna WR he just didn't do it to the extent of TO or Ocho. Clayton's second year he was taking over the #1 WR job and Mason went to the media and cried about he needed the ball more, and the offense would be better with him getting the ball more. Well once he started getting the ball more our Offense began to suck balls again, and it ruined the maturation of Mark Clayton.

CC.SD
07-15-2009, 02:01 PM
Yes he was a primadonna WR he just didn't do it to the extent of TO or Ocho. Clayton's second year he was taking over the #1 WR job and Mason went to the media and cried about he needed the ball more, and the offense would be better with him getting the ball more. Well once he started getting the ball more our Offense began to suck balls again, and it ruined the maturation of Mark Clayton.

Probably not the consensus opinion, although good to know. I have always waited for Clayton to break out, he doesn't have every tangible in the book but seems like a reliable wideout who should be doing better than he has so far.

Ravens1991
07-15-2009, 04:45 PM
well like ERU said Clayton out produced Mason in 2006, then Mason complained and its been all mason ever since. I think Clayton can do well

BlindSite
07-15-2009, 05:11 PM
I know porter stunk in Jacksonville but you would think there's at least one team out there in need of a slot guy.

CC.SD
07-15-2009, 05:35 PM
I know porter stunk in Jacksonville but you would think there's at least one team out there in need of a slot guy.

There's gotta be some injury issues in play, plus he would never be a slot. For the Ravens, who knows now that they're in a bind but there are other guys floating around.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 05:42 PM
If we do sign anybody, which Im actually against right now, I hope its after D Will and Clayton and Marcus Smith are given a chance to prove they can do it. Personally I got faith in the young guys, plus we have guys like Justin Harper who we drafted last year that I still believe in, and guys like Isaiah Williams (UDFA from MD) and Eron Riley (UDFA from Duke) who I think could both have what it takes to develop into decent lower depth chart options. I know everyone will disagree with this, but we'll never know what these guys can do if we don't give them a chance to shine.

Ravens1991
07-15-2009, 05:56 PM
that is a good point ERU, also I am really high on that guy Eron Riley due to the fact he is a complete physical freak. But I would like a nice veteran prescence in the WR corps. Just because that WR corp is real young

TitanHope
07-15-2009, 06:33 PM

Saying that Mason contributed to Clayton not progressing would be inaccurate. Many other WR's in the NFL have developed as a #2 who played second fiddle next to a #1 WR. If anything, having a veteran WR across from him would benefit Clayton. Mason isn't exactly drawing double teams, but to an opposing Defense, Mason was the top receiving threat to try to stop. It's just wrong.

In Clayton's rookie season in '06, Steve McNair was the QB. With consistancy and experience at the QB position, Clayton led the Ravens WR's. In '07, McNair was injured and was inactive for 10 games. Kyle Boller had the most playing time at QB, and Clayton's numbers dropped while Mason's increased. In '08, Clayton had a rookie QB passing to him yet despite that his numbers increased.

He's basically had 3 different QB's passing to him over the past 3 years. If there's an excuse for him not building off of his rookie season, it's that.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 07:26 PM
Saying that Mason contributed to Clayton not progressing would be inaccurate. Many other WR's in the NFL have developed as a #2 who played second fiddle next to a #1 WR. If anything, having a veteran WR across from him would benefit Clayton. Mason isn't exactly drawing double teams, but to an opposing Defense, Mason was the top receiving threat to try to stop. It's just wrong.

In Clayton's rookie season in '06, Steve McNair was the QB. With consistancy and experience at the QB position, Clayton led the Ravens WR's. In '07, McNair was injured and was inactive for 10 games. Kyle Boller had the most playing time at QB, and Clayton's numbers dropped while Mason's increased. In '08, Clayton had a rookie QB passing to him yet despite that his numbers increased.

He's basically had 3 different QB's passing to him over the past 3 years. If there's an excuse for him not building off of his rookie season, it's that.

Clayton's rookie year McNair wasn't here, it was Clayton's second year that he started to become a #1 and then Mason complained and forced his hand to keep Clayton behind him.

TitanHope
07-15-2009, 10:27 PM
Clayton's rookie year McNair wasn't here, it was Clayton's second year that he started to become a #1 and then Mason complained and forced his hand to keep Clayton behind him.

I gotcha. Well, it went Boller/Anthony Wright, McNair, Boller/McNair, then Flacco. My mistake.

Nevertheless, I still don't see how Mason asking for more passes would stunt Clayton when they're both on the field at the same time. Besides, Mason has been the better WR. If Clayton were better, he would've been the #1 option despite Mason's complaining. Billick lost his job last offseason, so one would think that he'd place his own job above a player's ego.

I just don't think he's to blame, and think this is just another example of passionate ERU trashing a player leaving the Ravens. ;)

Ravens1991
07-15-2009, 10:38 PM
good points, maybe his drop off is from lack of a experienced QB. But regardless I think Clayton can replace Mason well

TitanHope
07-15-2009, 10:51 PM
good points, maybe his drop off is from lack of a experienced QB. But regardless I think Clayton can replace Mason well

I think Mason will be missed on 3rd Down situations, but Mark Clayton is a veteran WR now and can make plays. You guys have a great OL, a stable of quality RB's, and a talented, young QB with a cannon for an arm. I don't see why Clayton wouldn't be able to replace Mason in such an advantageous situation. Although, someone would then have to step up as the #2 WR...

niel89
07-16-2009, 03:45 AM
I think Mason will be missed on 3rd Down situations, but Mark Clayton is a veteran WR now and can make plays. You guys have a great OL, a stable of quality RB's, and a talented, young QB with a cannon for an arm. I don't see why Clayton wouldn't be able to replace Mason in such an advantageous situation. Although, someone would then have to step up as the #2 WR...

I have to agree Mason was amazing at just moving the chains. He always knew how to get the first. Mason was even saying that Clayton reminds him of a younger version of himself. I think that him and Clayton are similar players and now that Mason is gone Clayton will slide into Masons role, albeit in a less productive fashion.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-16-2009, 05:32 AM
I just don't think he's to blame, and think this is just another example of passionate ERU trashing a player leaving the Ravens. ;)

You are entitled to your opinion, but Im really not that mad at Mason leaving its the way he did it. I was against giving him a contract extension because I lost all respect for him after goin to the media when he is nowhere near the level of TO, Randy Moss, Steve Smith or Ocho. Got a little respect back for him in the Dallas game, but deep down I always knew he was selfish and his actions here have just reaffirmed that.

RCAChainGang
07-17-2009, 12:05 AM
Derrick Mason your a beast! I loved watching you play with McNair when I was younger. Been a consistent receiver above all els!

My hat's off to you!

WMD
07-17-2009, 12:48 AM
Derrick Mason your a beast! I loved watching you play with McNair when I was younger. Been a consistent receiver above all els!

My hat's off to you!
Derrick Mason is not here.

trkaline
07-17-2009, 01:31 PM
He needs to send that damn letter in so the team can get some damn closure, I'm tired of arguing with ppl who are convinced he's coming back.

M.O.T.H.
08-01-2009, 12:38 PM
Mason showed up at camp. There are conflicting reports, one says he will be ending his retirement and the other says he hasnt made up his mind yet. ESPN News said his ending of retirement and a return, is likely.

T-RICH49
08-01-2009, 01:09 PM
I figured he was coming back.his decision of reitrement probably had a lot to do with the emotion of losing his best friend Steve McNair

Geo
08-01-2009, 01:20 PM
Hilarious after some classless Ravens fans completely trashed him.

WMD
08-01-2009, 01:45 PM
My fantasy team thanks him for coming back!

coordinator0
08-01-2009, 02:11 PM

I didn't like it either when my fellow Ravens fans pretty much put out a hit on Mason after he said he was retiring. Glad he's back.

trkaline
08-01-2009, 04:33 PM
I am surprised but it is good news for our receiving corps.

Ravens1991
08-01-2009, 04:34 PM

how is it hilarious? We were pissed he ditched us 2 weeks before pre-season.

trkaline
08-01-2009, 04:52 PM
how is it hilarious? We were pissed he ditched us 2 weeks before pre-season.

As a fan it hurt that our number 1 retired at that point. He was in a bad spot I just hope he came back for the love of the game otherwise, his play will suffer but I'm hoping for the warrior of last season.

GB12
08-01-2009, 05:03 PM
What, does he think he's Brett Favre?

Brent
08-01-2009, 05:51 PM
What, does he think he's Brett Favre?
No, obviously not or else he would have called three press conferences.