PDA

View Full Version : Raiders waive Stryker Sulak

49ersfan_87
07-13-2009, 04:45 PM
I actually liked that pick for you guys, guess he wasn't impressing in OTA's?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/13/raiders-waive-sixth-round-pick/

A league source tells us that the Raiders have waived defensive end Stryker Sulak, a sixth-round pick in the 2009 draft.

The formal designation was "waived/unsigned."

So, basically, the Raiders have cut Sulak before his rookie training camp. Said the source, "I've never seen that happen before."

Paranoidmoonduck
07-13-2009, 04:48 PM
It will be interesting to see if they try and bring him back onto the practice squad.

BeerBaron
07-13-2009, 06:35 PM
It will be interesting to see if they try and bring him back onto the practice squad.

If he was cut now before they even have to start trimming rosters, the odds look really bad on that one.

I just read at PFT that he had just gotten a letter inviting him to camp and had been working out and everything....no explanation, the team didn't contact him or his agent.

Something seems very odd....

Stash
07-14-2009, 03:22 AM
Hopefully we get some more details on this, sounds a little odd.

49ersfan_87
07-14-2009, 02:01 PM
Some more info

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2009/07/14/no-need-to-panic-over-6th-round-strykeout/

They saw he wouldn’t be a factor at linebacker and was a slender rush end. They signed Greg Ellis, weren’t going to be able to trade Derrick Burgess and made a sixth-round score the previous year in Trevor Scott. Sulak would make four ends on the 53-man roster who have issues defending the run on a team which desperately needs to shore up in that area.
They looked at third-round pick Matt Shaughnessy, Derrick Gray, Greyson Gunheim and even undrafted rookie free agent Desmond Bryant and couldn’t see Sulak making the roster.
So they simply wrote off Sulak rather than pay him a bonus in the $80,000 to $90,000 range just to sign a contract when they knew he probably wouldn’t make the practice squad.

Apparently, he just really sucked. But i don't get the need to cut him now. It's a $90,000 signing bonus and a TC spot. There's literally no risk and if you suffer injuries he could become valuable. Not to mention he could have improved once the pads were on. But obviously the Raiders must have felt otherwise.

BeerBaron
07-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Some more info

http://www.ibabuzz.com/raidersblog/2009/07/14/no-need-to-panic-over-6th-round-strykeout/

Apparently, he just really sucked. But i don't get the need to cut him now. It's a $90,000 signing bonus and a TC spot. There's literally no risk and if you suffer injuries he could become valuable. Not to mention he could have improved once the pads were on. But obviously the Raiders must have felt otherwise.

Never underestimate the cheapness of Al Davis though....that 90k is chump change by NFL standards but he isn't one of those oil tycoon or wall street billionaires like other owners, so that money matters a little more there.

I think Sulak will catch on somewhere else

diabsoule
07-14-2009, 02:12 PM
Some more info

I think we can all agree that Al Davis knows what he's doing and that's futile to question any move that he makes since he will prove us all wrong.

thule
07-14-2009, 07:50 PM
So, basically, the Raiders have cut Sulak before his rookie training camp. Said the source, "I've never seen that happen before."

Dumb source....

Something similar to this happened seven years ago when the Philadelphia Eagles relinquished the rights to draftee Raheem Brock, who's gone on to have a good career with the Colts.

Komp
07-14-2009, 11:40 PM
I never liked the Sulak pick to begin with so I approve this message.....still odd tho....

07-16-2009, 05:48 PM
A bit late, but I just saw we cut Frantz Joseph, too. What a joke.

I really hope we still have a chance at signing him to our practice squad. There must be a limit on training camp invitees that I'm unaware of. Why else would these cuts be coming this early?

Paranoidmoonduck
07-16-2009, 06:23 PM
Joseph doesn't surprise me. Everything I had heard suggested that he had utterly failed to distinguish himself as of yet while guys like Ricky Brown were stepping up.

Stash
07-17-2009, 02:21 PM
We sure like to waste draft picks. I know it was just a 6th rounder, but the fact that he didn't even make it to TC shows we don't know what we're doing.