View Full Version : Chiefs Matt Cassell agree to a 6 year 63 millon deal

KCJ58
07-14-2009, 01:43 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4327067

keeping him for the long term, hopefully he's not a one year wonder

bigbluedefense
07-14-2009, 01:47 PM
6 years 63 million bucks.

remember that guys, when you all throw a hissy fit when Eli makes over 100 million with his contract.

the going rate for qbs in FA is what it is. its just the economics of it.

49ersfan_87
07-14-2009, 01:52 PM
Solid contract. Cassel's numbers aren't too far off from the numbers Rodgers put up and they're both getting similar deals.

LonghornsLegend
07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Well it's no worse then a top round rookie QB coming in, and those guys have yet to plan an NFL snap, at least they saw Cassel perform in live action already and that's more then you can say for Sanchez and Stafford.

Go_Eagles77
07-14-2009, 01:53 PM
Couldn't they wait until after this year to make sure he wasn't a fluke?

Sveen
07-14-2009, 01:55 PM
It'll be interesting to see how he does this year without New England's high powered offense to help him out.

ChezPower4
07-14-2009, 01:57 PM
hahahahahahahahaha

KC just wasted a lot of money

bigbluedefense
07-14-2009, 01:58 PM
At first I thought Cassell was a fluke, but if you study his progress throughout the season, he really did do a 180 with his game. He was looking pretty damn good later in the season.

But arm strength would still be a concern of mine. Dude cannot throw the deepball...

Giantsfan1080
07-14-2009, 02:03 PM
$28 million guaranteed is the big number. Also, looks the contract is really front loaded.

PoopSandwich
07-14-2009, 02:07 PM
Quite a large contract to give someone who has had one good year and that was with Randy Moss Welker and a loaded Patriots team.

The Browns are a year removed from giving Anderson a 3 year 21 million dollar contract, hopefully the Chiefs don't regret this.

Strawdog
07-14-2009, 02:15 PM
I expected the team to wait until after the year on a long term contract, but the numbers are actually not that bad I don't think. $28 million guaranteed is less than twice what they would have had to pay him this year under the franchise tag. Even if he played poorly under the franchise tag, I still saw the the team keeping him a little longer to hold the fort down for a rookie, so he probably could have gotten at least $20 out of the team (franchise 2009, signing bonus+starting salary 2010). In my mind, Pioli is only making about an $8 million dollar gamble on a player that he is very familiar with.

terribletowel39
07-14-2009, 02:29 PM
Blah.
Just FYI, there is a football movie being shot in Bossier City, LA and surrounding areas based on you. Just giving you a heads up.

Basileus777
07-14-2009, 02:48 PM
A front loaded contract is actually good for us because we don't have any big free agents to resign on this roster in the near future and we have a ridiculous amount of cap space that we will never spend.

Basileus777
07-14-2009, 02:52 PM

When you factor that any extension you give him at that point would be on top of the 14 mil he'd get this year, Cassel would likely only be more expensive. And you'd also take the risk of losing him or having to pay him even more if he breaks out.

Strawdog
07-14-2009, 04:01 PM
Just FYI, there is a football movie being shot in Bossier City, LA and surrounding areas based on you. Just giving you a heads up.

A football movie? Straw Dogs is being changed a lot from the original. Oh well, the original is as timeless as the original The Day the Earth Stood Still.

TitleTown088
07-14-2009, 04:03 PM
Solid contract. Cassel's numbers aren't too far off from the numbers Rodgers put up and they're both getting similar deals.

Except Cassel got 8 mil more guaranteed. The Packers got a excellent deal with Rodgers.

Chiefs should have tried to wait until mid season to extend im like the Packers did with Rodgers too.

bored of education
07-14-2009, 04:51 PM
I don't mind this contract. The front office and coaching staff has beeen enamored (sp.) with what he has been doing in the off season and with the progress he made each start. I'd rather give this money to hm than Sanchez. I am not worried about arm strength. Brady's arm was weak sauce 6 years ago. So I am not worried.

It gives Cassel the mental stability rather than thinking am I one and done? Am I an experiment? Etc. Yet it does lock up some cap space for the next few years. But this could either prove amazingly cheap for the price they got hi at (less than a 2nd round pick) or the worst decision ever.

Ness
07-14-2009, 05:13 PM
At first I thought Cassell was a fluke, but if you study his progress throughout the season, he really did do a 180 with his game. He was looking pretty damn good later in the season.

But arm strength would still be a concern of mine. Dude cannot throw the deepball...

Yes he got better as the season went on. However, he's going to an all new team with different personnel. And this is a rebuilding team. I'm not saying he won't rise to the challenge, but I'd temper my expectations.

holt_bruce81
07-14-2009, 06:04 PM
For one good season? I hope he does well. I'm a Matt Cassell fan, hope this works out.

BlindSite
07-14-2009, 06:30 PM

The issues is, any good agent would be pushing to do a deal now as he'd be sure he could get decent value.

Any good organisation would consider two things, first if it is a fluke how bad will that be, and second, if he isn't a fluke and there's no deal in place, how bad would that be...

They probably spent a few weeks going over film and checking into how well he progressed in one year and realised that he's likely good enough to carry a team and likely good enough to garner a lot of interest next off season.

It's a smart move for both parties, but it's also one that could be in hindsight a bad idea for either party.

Bengalsrocket
07-14-2009, 06:40 PM
People panic about contracts, but both parties wanted this that's why it was done. And both sides know the possible repercussions of this signing. It's not like Pioli is oblivious to the fact that the Patriots had a better surrounding cast. I'm sure a man in his position has checked every possibly outcome and took a calculated risk based on all scenarios, not just the one where Cassel breaks out this year.

P.S. Cassel is the man, and KC is going to pull this offense back into shape.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-15-2009, 07:30 AM
"That guy warmed the bench at SC!" - Matt Leinart

Bucs_Rule
07-15-2009, 07:59 AM
"That guy warmed the bench at SC!" - Matt Leinart

Wouldn't that be funny if one day Leinart becomes Cassell's backup.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-15-2009, 08:04 AM
Wouldn't that be funny if one day Leinart becomes Cassell's backup.

Now that would be damn funny!

vidae
07-15-2009, 10:14 AM
I think this deal is a mistake personally. I love that we signed him long term but I would have preferred we did it in the middle of the season, so we can at least see how he performs.

Oh well. Everything out of the KC camp has been roses and sunshines about his performance and leadership already. Hopefully that continues. And for the record, even though we lost TG I still love the way our offense looks on paper. We're building our line back up and we have some decent playmakers at WR/RB. Hopefully they give him enough help this year.

Malaka
07-15-2009, 01:11 PM
Now that would be damn funny!

I don't know how hard I would laugh if that were to happen.

CC.SD
07-15-2009, 01:53 PM
I don't know how hard I would laugh if that were to happen.

Not as hard as Matty would cry.

If Cutler were still around, AFC West would be the QB division...how unfortunate. :) Good on Cassell I hope he does spectacularly against every team but the Chargers.

Smooth Criminal
07-16-2009, 12:55 PM
I think they overpaid. I'm not expecting Cassel to have near the season he had last year with that New England offense.

Rjspartan
07-17-2009, 04:25 PM
this isnt a very smart move as good as he did last year he is still a risk he only has 1 year of playing experience and played that year on the patriots so 63 million is way to much on a guy who has yet to play a down on your team

Malaka
07-17-2009, 04:59 PM
I've made a whole thread about how I really don't think Cassell is all that, him and Orton are very similar players, and Orton is considered a mediocre QB, while Cassell for some reason has potential, I really don't see Cassell being anything more than an average QB, at best.

Ness
07-17-2009, 05:18 PM
this isnt a very smart move as good as he did last year he is still a risk he only has 1 year of playing experience and played that year on the patriots so 63 million is way to much on a guy who has yet to play a down on your team
You might as well not draft any rookie quarterback in the first round ever again then. Especially within in the top ten selections. Unfortunately you have to go with guys by market value now and days and with the economics of the NFL, that is going to be a lot of money whether anyone likes it or not.

bored of education
07-17-2009, 05:33 PM
I don't care who or what Cassel had with him at NE but to pay someone with NFL experience this money comapred to a rookie who has moreeeee questions marks than a person with one year of experience is smart. It was market value, the Chiefs would not have been able ot sign him for 4 years 6 million a year or anything so that money part is not the issue. They are protecthign their investment. If Cassell has a good year this year and has only one year he would either get franchised or sign a 80 million dollar contract with 50 guaranteed or hit them market. It was a smart move logistically. He could bust but they have the right to hold on to him and groom an offense around him. Plus this shows the faith the FO and coachign staff has in him.