PDA

View Full Version : Source: Ravens, Suggs agree to deal

NY+Giants=NYG
07-15-2009, 09:15 AM
Source: Ravens, Suggs agree to deal

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4328590

Suggs will receive signing bonus and option bonus money that will total $33.1 million in 2009 and 2010, according to a source. That is believed to be second only to Peyton Manning, who received a $34 million signing bonus. Defensive end Dwight Freeney received $31.5 million in signing and option bonus money during the first two years of his contract with the Colts. Freeney and Suggs were both represented by Gary Wichard.

Brent
07-15-2009, 09:25 AM
"That is believed to be second only to Peyton Manning"

what. a. rip-off.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-15-2009, 09:29 AM
I bet DeMarcus Ware is very, very happy now that his contract will shatter this.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-15-2009, 09:31 AM
YES!!! FINALLY! They locked him up longterm!!! Don't really know if he deserves that big a contract, but the guy is tough, durable, and a complete player. Next up, Jared Gaither & Haloti Ngata :)

Rob S
07-15-2009, 09:34 AM
Suggs being so highly paid = fail

killxswitch
07-15-2009, 09:37 AM
I don't know the first thing about the Ravens' salary cap situation. What does this do for their chances of signing a big-time WR?

coordinator0
07-15-2009, 09:47 AM
I don't know the first thing about the Ravens' salary cap situation. What does this do for their chances of signing a big-time WR?

It actually improves it because he's getting less than what he would on the franchise-tag deal I believe. A little expensive, but Suggs is very important to our team and I'm glad to have him on it for years to come.

TitleTown088
07-15-2009, 09:50 AM
. A little expensive
A little? He got more Guranteed money ( more than 10 mil more then Rodgers) than two "franchise Quarteerbacks" who recently signed long term deals, Rodgers and Cassel. That's pretty damned expensive.

Contracts are gettin out of control.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-15-2009, 09:51 AM
That's because rookie contracts are too large, so proven players have to top that by a good margin. In order to get everything down, un proven rookies, need to be paid based on their experience level, and thus proven players contracts can come down as well.

TitleTown088
07-15-2009, 09:53 AM
That's because rookie contracts are too large, so proven players have to top that by a good margin. In order to get everything down, un proven rookies, need to be paid based on their experience level, and thus proven players contracts can come down as well.

What's it matter in the future though? Jurrah and Snyder are going to go ape **** on contracts when the salary cap goes bye bye. ;)

NY+Giants=NYG
07-15-2009, 10:03 AM
What's it matter in the future though? Jurrah and Snyder are going to go ape **** on contracts when the salary cap goes bye bye. ;)

The whole NFC East will be like baseball because all 4 teams are big market teams. It will be like baseball all over again!

Ravens1991
07-15-2009, 10:09 AM
http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/dd131/TheGoIsWin/FacePalm.jpg

I like Suggs but he is not that good.

Smokey Joe
07-15-2009, 10:49 AM
lol, good look keep Ngata as well Ravens... that's a **** load of money for a good, but not great player.

superman8456
07-15-2009, 11:52 AM
How much cap room would the Ravens have after that?

ChezPower4
07-15-2009, 11:53 AM
Suggs is not 34 Million guaranteed good. Two horrible contracts in two days.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-15-2009, 12:06 PM
Suggs's ability to stop the srun and drop into coverage is really underrated. He doesn't get many sacks, but the guy gets a ton of pressure on QB's, good in coverage and great against the run and never missed a game since like 2003? So he is very reliable. He might not be good "stat" wise since he doesn't put up James Harrison type sacks, but he is worth 63 million to the Ravens defense. He does the little things that make him so good for them.

CC.SD
07-15-2009, 01:50 PM
Hm I always thought he'd make it back out to AZ somehow, but good for him. Can't underrate (or underpay apparently) elite rushbackers and Suggs has earned that title.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Hm I always thought he'd make it back out to AZ somehow, but good for him. Can't underrate (or underpay apparently) elite rushbackers and Suggs has earned that title.

Well when the absurdly overpaid contract is over he'll only be 33 so he could make his way out to AZ then!!!

But anywho like him, glad to have him, but JESUS ******* CHRIST!!! I hope Ozzie hid some cap space somewhere because Ngata is gonna want Haynesworth money, and Gaither is gonna wanna be paid like a Top 5 LT which he will be considered after another dominant year. I feel like we're gonna lose one of those 2 guys and thats devastating.

Hurricanes25
07-15-2009, 02:44 PM
Suggs is now the highest paid LB in history and it just doesnt seem right to me. Like Shockey+Manning said, Ware will shatter that contract.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-15-2009, 02:49 PM
Well when the absurdly overpaid contract is over he'll only be 33 so he could make his way out to AZ then!!!

But anywho like him, glad to have him, but JESUS ******* CHRIST!!! I hope Ozzie hid some cap space somewhere because Ngata is gonna want Haynesworth money, and Gaither is gonna wanna be paid like a Top 5 LT which he will be considered after another dominant year. I feel like we're gonna lose one of those 2 guys and thats devastating.

and it's probably gonna be Gaither, seeing as how they easily let Jason Brown go. But, I think they'll find some way to keep em both. They know the true value of a pair of bookend franchise tackles and an elite massive DT, to keep blockers off there LB's. I just pray they won't lose 1.

TACKLE
07-15-2009, 02:54 PM
I'm very glad to have him locked up long-term. Although the price is a bit steep, you're going to have to expect to pay pass rushers a lot. Ware's deal is going to be ridiculous.

Thumper
07-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Soon to be 4th all time on the contact list to DeMarcus Ware and Eli Manning! YES!

niel89
07-15-2009, 02:56 PM
Suggs is now the highest paid LB in history and it just doesnt seem right to me. Like Shockey+Manning said, Ware will shatter that contract.

Its the highest paid today, but in 2 years it will be considered resonable. Ware is gonna cash ins soooooo much now.

Thumper
07-15-2009, 03:01 PM
Its the highest paid today, but in 2 years it will be considered resonable. Ware is gonna cash ins soooooo much now.

So is Shawne Merriman. Suggs just screwed the rush backer market up, every single one of their values just jumped a little bit and A TON if you're an impact guy like Ware, Merriman (2010) or Woodley in 2011.

Now James Harrison's deal seems weak who "only" made 20 million guaranteed

Paul
07-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Jerry Jones must ******** himself

Geo
07-15-2009, 03:36 PM
So is Shawne Merriman. Suggs just screwed the rush backer market up, every single one of their values just jumped a little bit and A TON if you're an impact guy like Ware, Merriman (2010) or Woodley in 2011.
I don't think it's very fair to say Suggs screwed things up. Consider Dwight Freeney and Jared Allen signed bigger deals, and as you say, Ware and Merriman will in all likelihood sign the biggest deals yet by the 2011 offseason (if there's no labor stopage).

Just the way the system and free agency proceeds, guys are getting bigger deals. Reggie Wayne signed a huge deal in 06 and now he's just about underpaid compared to some of the recent deals. It's how it is, a matter of escalation. The salary cap and floor increase, as does the revenue the league/teams make.

Now James Harrison's deal seems weak who "only" made 20 million guaranteed
I don't remember exactly, was Harrison really dealing from any position of strength? I want to say no, Pittsburgh did the unusual thing and rewarded him with some cash, when they normally let their outside rushers walk and just plug in the next guy.

Smooth Criminal
07-16-2009, 01:03 PM
Glad Harrison got locked up before Suggs. Thats way to much money to give him. Suggs is a great player, but that kind of money is ridiculous.

I can only hope it keeps them from signing some of their other young talent.

roscoesdad27
07-22-2009, 07:08 PM
Suggs's ability to stop the srun and drop into coverage is really underrated. He doesn't get many sacks, but the guy gets a ton of pressure on QB's, good in coverage and great against the run and never missed a game since like 2003? So he is very reliable. He might not be good "stat" wise since he doesn't put up James Harrison type sacks, but he is worth 63 million to the Ravens defense. He does the little things that make him so good for them.

spot on post

PACKmanN
07-22-2009, 11:06 PM
If Suggs is worth that much to their defense, I wonder how much Ngata will get. He must be pretty happy right now.

Ravens1991
07-22-2009, 11:20 PM
I hope we can afford Ngata. I know Ozzie had Ngata and Gaither in mind when he made this deal w/ Suggs, I just hope we can sign Gaither and Ngata

BlindSite
07-23-2009, 04:20 AM
He should've tried to extend gaither during last season. He may have done and we don't know but it should've been part of his strategy, believe me, it sucks to have two big tier stars on either side of the ball free agents at the same time.

LonghornsLegend
07-23-2009, 11:44 AM
I hope we can afford Ngata. I know Ozzie had Ngata and Gaither in mind when he made this deal w/ Suggs, I just hope we can sign Gaither and Ngata

When are both of their contracts up? The Ravens really had ALOT of decisions to make and you just can't keep anybody.

You guys had to lose Jason Brown who was a franchise Center and still very young who I'm sure Ozzie wanted to keep, Bart Scott got away, and you still have two more big contracts to dish out...When you draft well you have more contracts to hand out, but it would be a mistake to let either Ngata or Gaither come close to leaving.

Ravens1991
07-23-2009, 12:28 PM
well I really dont think losing Scott was that big of a deal, I am kind of glad he left so we can have more $. Ngata contract is up after next year I believe, and I think same w/ Gaither not 100% sure.