PDA

View Full Version : Better 2nd year... Steve Slaton or Chris Johnson?

katnip
07-17-2009, 10:30 PM
I liked him at WVU and he has a better surrounding cast too me with Schaub and Andre Johnson. I'm guessing Slaton will have the better year.

CashmoneyDrew
07-17-2009, 10:32 PM
Chris Johnson in my biased opinion. :D
Better O-Line, healthier team, better backups, better defense to take off pressure. Blah blah blah, homer, homer, blah, homer. Or am I?!?!?!?!

ChezPower4
07-17-2009, 10:34 PM
[http://i2.cdn.turner.com/si/2008/writers/ross_tucker/12/10/tucks-takes/steve-slaton.jpg

One could make a case that he was the best rookie RB last season.

the decider13
07-17-2009, 10:41 PM
If I was putting money on it, I would definately be putting it on Slaton. He is a beastly runner.

MidwayMonster31
07-18-2009, 12:08 AM
Both guys have a lot of promise. I think Chris Johnson will be the focal point of the Titans offense. The Titans will look to run the ball. The Texans have an explosive passing game, so Slaton could benefit from it. I think Johnson will have a better season with more touches.

Gay Ork Wang
07-18-2009, 04:23 AM
I think Slaton is gonna be better but Forte wins it all!!!!!

OzTitan
07-18-2009, 04:53 AM
Slaton has a major advantage - he won't likely be the focal point of opposing defenses. Andre is the #1 weapon. Chris Johnson on the other hand is the #1 skill player on the Titans. While the Titans offense may be better running the ball, when it comes to an individual back's performance, I suspect many would prefer being the #1 RB on a pass first team than on a run first team. Slaton's speed and the Texans offense should compliment each other well as he's faced with few loaded fronts.

Slaton is also not in a carry share situation. I think that the load will shift towards CJ more than it was last year, but he'll still suffer from rhythm interupting spells and slim pickings when it comes to goalline carries.

So, all in all, I think Slaton has the better chance.

Gay Ork Wang
07-18-2009, 05:20 AM
Slaton has a major advantage - he won't likely be the focal point of opposing defenses. Andre is the #1 weapon. Chris Johnson on the other hand is the #1 skill player on the Titans. While the Titans offense may be better running the ball, when it comes to an individual back's performance, I suspect many would prefer being the #1 RB on a pass first team than on a run first team. Slaton's speed and the Texans offense should compliment each other well as he's faced with few loaded fronts.

Slaton is also not in a carry share situation. I think that the load will shift towards CJ more than it was last year, but he'll still suffer from rhythm interupting spells and slim pickings when it comes to goalline carries.

So, all in all, I think Slaton has the better chance.
liar, the #1 weapon is kerry collins!

TitanHope
07-18-2009, 05:37 AM
This man. :cool:

V7sAp58uIk0

am7JQ5P0Es8

MetSox17
07-18-2009, 07:53 AM
OzTitan summed it up pretty well with his post. I'm thinking it'll be Slaton as well, barring injury.

Shane P. Hallam
07-18-2009, 09:06 AM
I think both have another amazing year. Tennesspeed is more talented, faster, but I think he could have some issues to contend with on the Titans roster this year. He'll catch more passes than Slaton, and get much much more press, but I think Slaton has the better year.

Why? One reason, ZBS. Slaton is not up there in terms of talent, but he has good vision and speed, so he can see the holes and pick up some nice yardage. I think he has a better year statistically.

Brent
07-18-2009, 10:18 AM
I love Slaton. I think he's getting discounted for being on a team not getting as much publicity. I thought he had a more consistent year, where as Johnson would have games with a lot of yards and then follow those with down games.

Dam8610
07-18-2009, 10:32 AM
I hope Steve Slaton based purely on the fact that I just traded for him in my keeper league and he's a phenomenal value keeper.

trkaline
07-18-2009, 10:35 AM
I believe Slaton will have the better stats just based on the fact that hes going to be the workhorse, while Johnson will still be sharing snaps with Lenwhale.

M.O.T.H.
07-18-2009, 10:50 AM
Felix Jones. :D

Nah, I agree w/ the Slaton guys. It's not like either is looking at a sophomore slump or anything like that, though imo.

TitanHope
07-18-2009, 11:15 AM
To echo what others may have said, Slaton has the better chance of having the better statistical season. He's not splitting carries like Johnson will be. Nevertheless, I think CJ will be the more impressive RB.

I love Slaton. I think he's getting discounted for being on a team not getting as much publicity. I thought he had a more consistent year, where as Johnson would have games with a lot of yards and then follow those with down games.

Slaton was just as streaky as Johnson was. Especially during the first half of the season. Not to mention Slaton was allotted more carries per game. I think CJ only had one game all season where he had over 20 carries, and that was an OverTime game against Green Bay. During regulation time, he only had 19 carries.

Why? One reason, ZBS. Slaton is not up there in terms of talent, but he has good vision and speed, so he can see the holes and pick up some nice yardage. I think he has a better year statistically.

The Titans run a ZBS as well. ;)

Staubach12
07-18-2009, 01:42 PM
Chris Johnson. Both have good supporting casts, but the Titans are going to be doing pretty much anything they can to get the ball in his hands. While Slaton is very good and I expect a good year out of him, Chris Johnson's ability is incredible. As a defender, it's nearly impossible to take any kind of angle on him, and if he gets behind you, it's over.

Mr. Stiller
07-18-2009, 02:23 PM
Steve Slaton...

Andre Johnson will keep teams from stacking 8 in the box.

Who do the Titans have to do that... Is Collins still the QB?

TitanHope
07-18-2009, 03:39 PM
Steve Slaton...

Andre Johnson will keep teams from stacking 8 in the box.

Who do the Titans have to do that... Is Collins still the QB?

http://static.flickr.com/3145/2674859384_88933b3071.jpg

...FACE!!! :cool:

Smokey Joe
07-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Matt Forte says hi!!!!

CashmoneyDrew
07-18-2009, 03:58 PM

...FACE!!! :cool:

That face is so beautiful. So...........majestic.

d34ng3l021
07-18-2009, 04:06 PM
It will be close, but I think Steve Slaton will take it.

1JFqO4mYjSc

And you have to love how he dominates on division opponents (most of his highlights are against them). In 6 division games, he has averaged:

17.1 carries for 104.6 yards (6.1 YPC) and 1.2 TDs with 4 100 yard games (wasn't he the only rusher to eclipse 100 against the Titans...twice?) and a TD in 5 games.

d34ng3l021
07-18-2009, 04:13 PM
Matt Forte says hi!!!!

In a comparison between Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton, Forte has no reason to be saying hi. If we were talking about best 2nd year RB, then definitely. If Cutler can get defenses to be more honest and worry about the deep ball, it could really help Forte pick apart defenses up the middle. Hopefully Cutler can utilize him as a receiver as well.

Smokey Joe
07-18-2009, 04:35 PM
Considering Forte was practically the entire Chicago Bears offense and faced nothing but 8 or more in the box, he deserves some more respect than this. He had more total yards than both Slaton and Johnson as well as more TD's and is a better receiver.

Sure, he had more opportunities, but he had a ****** line, no WR's, and a mediocre at best QB... don't forget about the fact our D sucked ass as well.

TitansCJftw
07-18-2009, 05:26 PM
I think my name says it all ;)

Shane P. Hallam
07-18-2009, 05:31 PM
To echo what others may have said, Slaton has the better chance of having the better statistical season. He's not splitting carries like Johnson will be. Nevertheless, I think CJ will be the more impressive RB.

Slaton was just as streaky as Johnson was. Especially during the first half of the season. Not to mention Slaton was allotted more carries per game. I think CJ only had one game all season where he had over 20 carries, and that was an OverTime game against Green Bay. During regulation time, he only had 19 carries.

The Titans run a ZBS as well. ;)

Not exactly the same system ;)

the decider13
07-18-2009, 05:40 PM
Considering Forte was practically the entire Chicago Bears offense and faced nothing but 8 or more in the box, he deserves some more respect than this. He had more total yards than both Slaton and Johnson as well as more TD's and is a better receiver.

Sure, he had more opportunities, but he had a ****** line, no WR's, and a mediocre at best QB... don't forget about the fact our D sucked ass as well.

Does the thread title say best 2nd year RB? Nope? That's because it was a discussion about Slaton and Chris Johnson. Not Matt Forte.

TitanHope
07-18-2009, 06:24 PM
Not exactly the same system ;)

You're right...

Ours is bettah! :cool:

Yeah, yeah, I know. Rawr, rawr, Denver system, rawr, rawr. :(

BlindSite
07-18-2009, 07:39 PM
As good as slaton is and as good as lenwhale is becoming, I think Johnson will have the better year.

I can see Collins maintaining the starting position for quite a while which means a lot of runs, the Tennessee defense is also a lot better than Houston's so they'll be more likely to be running late in the game.

Smokey Joe
07-18-2009, 10:04 PM
Does the thread title say best 2nd year RB? Nope? That's because it was a discussion about Slaton and Chris Johnson. Not Matt Forte.
My bads ya'll.

TitanHope
07-19-2009, 01:27 AM
My bads ya'll.

It's all good our brotha'! Actually, the RB class last season was so outstanding, it'd be an insult to pick a singular best RB from the group right now. I mean there's Forte, Slaton, and CJ, plus Jonathan Stewart, Felix Jones, Darren McFadden, Rashard Mendenhall, Kevin Smith, and then tack on guys like Jamaal Charles, Ray Rice, Tim Hightower, and Benjarvus Green-Ellis.

It's nuckin' futts is what it is!

This poll isn't close enough...

Smokey Joe
07-19-2009, 09:53 AM
Well, I voted for Slaton... mainly because I can understand him when he talks and he doesn't, at least that I've seen, dress like some gangsta raper.

Plus, I think he's got a better attitude than Chris Johnson.

Iamcanadian
07-19-2009, 12:14 PM
Slaton has a much better shot at duplicating his performance than Johnson. Teams will stack the box against Tennessee and force Collins into beating them through the air. Until he shows he can win a lot of games through his passing, teams will defend the run 1st which could negatively affect Johnson.
Houston has a dual offense, dangerous both passing and running so Slaton won't face defenses which will concentrate solely on him. He'll have plenty of running lanes.

TitanHope
07-19-2009, 01:04 PM
Well, I voted for Slaton... mainly because I can understand him when he talks and he doesn't, at least that I've seen, dress like some gangsta raper.

Call me a homer, but I'm 99% positive that CJ doesn't rape gangsters. ;)

Slaton has a much better shot at duplicating his performance than Johnson. Teams will stack the box against Tennessee and force Collins into beating them through the air. Until he shows he can win a lot of games through his passing, teams will defend the run 1st which could negatively affect Johnson.
Houston has a dual offense, dangerous both passing and running so Slaton won't face defenses which will concentrate solely on him. He'll have plenty of running lanes.

I scoff at your baseless accusations good sir!

Did you not think that teams would've done that last season? The most blatant example was against Chicago. They sold out to stop the run, and they did so by causing CJ to average 0.6 YPC and LenWhale to average 1.4 YPC.

Collins then went on to pass for 289-yards, 2 TD's, a completion percentage of 73.2% at 7.0 YPA, and ended the day at Soldier Field with a QB rating of 108.7.

The Titans went 13-3 last year with the passing of Collins and the running of CJ and LenWhale. How is that not a pattern of success?

Gay Ork Wang
07-19-2009, 01:52 PM
thats because the bears suck at defending slants. they allowed a **** load of slants

TitanHope
07-19-2009, 02:10 PM
thats because the bears suck at defending slants. they allowed a **** load of slants

Yeah. Brandon Jones had a good day on those, but only because that's the only route Jones has success at.

awfullyquiet
07-20-2009, 08:34 AM

Statistically.

Thats the key.

I mean, also going 60/40 with lenwhale won't help.

JT Jag
07-20-2009, 08:45 AM
I can't shake this feeling that the Titans are in for a disappointing year. That said, both Slaton and Johnson will have big seasons. I pick Slaton, because the Titans are one inevitable slump from Kerry Collins away from facing nine in the box every play.

Brothgar
07-20-2009, 09:20 AM

That is false CJ rapes everybody.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-20-2009, 10:00 AM
No doubt Slaton. He's the main guy who is playing in the perfect scheme. He's on the field on every down and has one of the top passing games in the NFL supporting him. With Chris Johnson he plays one of the most lop sided offenses in the NFL. Teams know they want to run the ball. With Collins inability to stretch the field vertically teams just stack the box on CJ. That and Lendale will still get just as many carries.

Iamcanadian
07-20-2009, 11:34 AM

I scoff at your baseless accusations good sir!

Did you not think that teams would've done that last season? The most blatant example was against Chicago. They sold out to stop the run, and they did so by causing CJ to average 0.6 YPC and LenWhale to average 1.4 YPC.

Collins then went on to pass for 289-yards, 2 TD's, a completion percentage of 73.2% at 7.0 YPA, and ended the day at Soldier Field with a QB rating of 108.7.

The Titans went 13-3 last year with the passing of Collins and the running of CJ and LenWhale. How is that not a pattern of success?

You need to look carefully at Tennessee's schedule my friend. Their SOS was the weakest in the NFL last year and they won't be facing that cakewalk schedule this coming season. The schedule in the NFL allows for 6 to 8 new teams to reach the playoffs every year but those teams without franchise QB's almost never repeat their playoff run and are prime candidates to fall by the wayside. That is the pattern of the NFL and I fully expect Tennessee to follow this pattern into oblivion for the coming year.

killxswitch
07-20-2009, 11:55 AM
Slayton, because Houston's offense is based on passing which will open things up for him. And because teams have film on Johnson now and will be better prepared for him. And because Chris Johnson is obnoxious.

no bare feet
07-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Steven Slaton. Several factors: the amount of touches proportional to total offensive plays will be in favor of Slaton, the offensive line's year of growing together, the health of Schaub in association with the passing game that will be opened up allowing for a more dynamic offense in Houston. More pluses for Houston's offense compared to where will the drastic improvements in the Titan's offense come from?

TitanHope
07-20-2009, 03:23 PM
More pluses for Houston's offense compared to where will the drastic improvements in the Titan's offense come from?

You guys really need to keep up. ;)

...I'm sorry. I just wanted to use that picture again. <3

CashmoneyDrew
07-20-2009, 03:55 PM

You guys really need to keep up. ;)

...I'm sorry. I just wanted to use that picture again. <3

Don't forget Jared Cook and Nate Washington!

OzTitan
07-20-2009, 05:50 PM
Slayton, because Houston's offense is based on passing which will open things up for him. And because teams have film on Johnson now and will be better prepared for him. And because Chris Johnson is obnoxious.

Sorry, couldn't help but chuckle a bit there.

"Ok guys, the film clearly shows how we stop Chris Johnson - we just gotta run a crap load faster!"

In all seriousness though, is this even a legit approach to containing a RB? So much of what a RB does is in real time, adjusting to what he sees in front of him develop, not to mention D's are facing a total running attack, not just a single running back. There is no magic formation to stop a RB derived from film study.

Oh and I'm pretty sure Slaton has been caught on film too - I mean if the frame rate can capture Chris Johnson, it can nab Slaton ;)

Shane P. Hallam
07-20-2009, 06:00 PM

"Ok guys, the film clearly shows how we stop Chris Johnson - we just gotta run a crap load faster!"

In all seriousness though, is this even a legit approach to containing a RB? So much of what a RB does is in real time, adjusting to what he sees in front of him develop, not to mention D's are facing a total running attack, not just a single running back. There is no magic formation to stop a RB derived from film study.

Oh and I'm pretty sure Slaton has been caught on film too - I mean if the frame rate can capture Chris Johnson, it can nab Slaton ;)

That's why LT will be bad this year man. Finally have tape on him.

Sniper
07-20-2009, 06:02 PM
That's why LT will be bad this year man. Finally have tape on him.

For Brian Westbrook, being injured all the time is all part of the plan. Less time on the field = less tape of him. Genius.

BlindSite
07-20-2009, 06:22 PM
It's difficult to stop a running back by watching tape when you've got michael roos mauling your ass too.

It's not just back we should be looking at but the lines as well and Tenn is FAR superior to Houston.

LonghornsLegend
07-20-2009, 06:50 PM

Oh please, everyone has to turn everything into a freaking homer fest, it's between Slaton and CJ, two smaller speed backs who had similiar stats.

Forte has no reason to be in this duscussion so you guys can stop with the "deserves more respect" stuff.

RufusMcDaniel
07-20-2009, 10:38 PM
You need to look carefully at Tennessee's schedule my friend. Their SOS was the weakest in the NFL last year and they won't be facing that cakewalk schedule this coming season. The schedule in the NFL allows for 6 to 8 new teams to reach the playoffs every year but those teams without franchise QB's almost never repeat their playoff run and are prime candidates to fall by the wayside. That is the pattern of the NFL and I fully expect Tennessee to follow this pattern into oblivion for the coming year.

Can you prove that?

Whose to say the NFC West and AFC East don't blow this year.

Also Tennessee has made the playoffs two straight years, and the year before was just on the outside looking in, so don't count on them falling by the wayside. Now Jacksonville....they did that.

And Chris Johnson will have a better year, why? Cause I'm bias and that's all you need to know.

TitanHope
07-20-2009, 11:24 PM
Can you prove that?

Whose to say the NFC West and AFC East don't blow this year.

Also Tennessee has made the playoffs two straight years, and the year before was just on the outside looking in, so don't count on them falling by the wayside. Now Jacksonville....they did that.

I've had this argument with Iamcanadian before.

When the season was over and done, the Titans SOS was the 7th easiest in the NFL. It was not the easiest in the NFL like IAC stated. He's mistaken on that, or was blatantly exaggurating the facts in order to try and prove his point.

What IAC chooses to leave out is that the Titans SOS before the season started was the 10th most difficult in the NFL, and they posted victories against Playoff teams such as the Steelers, Colts, Ravens, and Vikings. He neglects the fact that the Titans having the best record in the NFL possibly had an affect on why their SOS is so low. The Lions ended with the 3rd toughest SOS in the NFL, so according to IAC's logic that must mean they weren't as bad as much as they played a one of the toughest schedules.

He makes the point about teams without franchise QB's almost never repeat Playoff births, yet the Titans made the Playoffs in '07 with Young and '08 with Collins. It's funny how this schedule pattern of his will be the reason the Titans will "fall into oblivion," yet the Titans contradicted this pattern just last season by improving their record.

Bengalsrocket
07-21-2009, 08:29 AM
Titans also have something that most organization without a franchise QB don't have: Jeff Fisher. People can rag on Jeff Fisher for various things, but the guy knows how to coach football. His team is built around a strong D and a Strong running game, and I don't think having a franchise QB is his biggest concern.

awfullyquiet
07-21-2009, 11:32 AM
What IAC chooses to leave out is that the Titans SOS before the season started was the 10th most difficult in the NFL, and they posted victories against Playoff teams such as the Steelers, Colts, Ravens, and Vikings. He neglects the fact that the Titans having the best record in the NFL possibly had an affect on why their SOS is so low.

and that is why SOS has absolutely no realistic bearing on an individual season in retrospect.

as you win games against teams, your SOS goes down. As you lose games, your SOS goes up.

Teams you win against get better records and thus, increase their 'ease' of schedule.

islandboy843
07-21-2009, 08:26 PM
Chris Johnson cuz im on his legs.

datchapin
07-21-2009, 09:59 PM
Chris Johnson cuz im on his legs.

Sounds like you just on the third one. I kid, I kid.

Honestly, I hope Slaton has a better season, but then again you never know. In my opinion Slaton is more balanced, he can run over you or around you. I looked at some of the highlights, (so yeah, I can admit I may have missed some of Johnsons better runs.) but based on what I saw, Slaton is harder to bring down.

Johnson has speed, but honestly, it's that dang line. They suck, I say they suck because my fav. team plays them twice a yr. and thus they suck to me, cuz I gotta see them 2 times a yr. Any team would want that line.

Better yr. who knows. Better RB... Slaton. Yeah, I'm biased, doesn't necessarily make me wrong.

killxswitch
07-22-2009, 07:34 AM

So teams aren't going to prepare for and pay attention to Johnson more this year than they did for at least the first half of last year? There were 4 RBs taken before him last year, it's not like everyone expected him to become arguably the most successful rookie RB. This year, teams will have a year's worth of game tape to try to understand how the Titans use Johnson. Are you seriously telling me you don't think teams will use what Johnson did last year to prepare? Do you think the runningback position is just ignored entirely when gameplanning? "Well this guy's just too fast, we'll do our best and hope it works." That's really the conversation you think professionals have?

And yes, Slaton has tape on him too, but unlike Johnson he isn't the focal point of his offense. The Texans will continue to use the pass to set up the run, which means teams won't be gameplanning as much against Slaton as they will Johnson. I alluded to this in my initial post.

The Legend
07-22-2009, 07:52 AM
Slaton will have more chances

OzTitan
07-22-2009, 08:41 AM
So teams aren't going to prepare for and pay attention to Johnson more this year than they did for at least the first half of last year? There were 4 RBs taken before him last year, it's not like everyone expected him to become arguably the most successful rookie RB. This year, teams will have a year's worth of game tape to try to understand how the Titans use Johnson. Are you seriously telling me you don't think teams will use what Johnson did last year to prepare? Do you think the runningback position is just ignored entirely when gameplanning? "Well this guy's just too fast, we'll do our best and hope it works." That's really the conversation you think professionals have?

And yes, Slaton has tape on him too, but unlike Johnson he isn't the focal point of his offense. The Texans will continue to use the pass to set up the run, which means teams won't be gameplanning as much against Slaton as they will Johnson. I alluded to this in my initial post.

My point was, how prepared can you really get for a particular running back? My quote about speed was obviously a joke/exaggeration. I'm sure they study how Johnson is used, but that can only do so much. It's still going to come down to blocking, Johnson's vision, speed, and the ability of the D to tackle. There are almost always going to be opportunities to get a good gain on a running play whether the D likes it or not. Good D's keep them to a minimum, but like the Ravens playoff game, even good D's sometimes can't contain a well oiled running attack. What footage and preperation did the Ravens not have on Johnson that the Titans 2009 opponents will have? Besides, it's not like the Titans offense won't try and adjust how they use Johnson, so 2008 could basically be useless.

It's not like Johnson is a gimmick back or a weapon used in some exotic way. In 2008, he was basically given the same runs White was given. How do you prepare to stop off tackle runs and inside counters? If the OL dominates up front and CJ has the vision to see the hole and the speed to hit it hard, he's getting 5+ yards likely regardless of what a D is going to do.

When it comes to the Titans, White and CJ, all footage is going to do is show the opposing defenses how important it is to win the battle up front - good luck.

CameronCropper
07-22-2009, 10:39 AM
Matt Forte's better than both of them.

Unlike Chris Johnson he didn't have LenDale White to pound defenses down and let him catch his breath, unlike Steve Slaton he didn't have people double covering Andre Johnson. People stacked the box against the Bears all year long because they knew we couldn't pass, Forte didn't have anyone to spell him and yet he still managed to put up great numbers.

Forte excels in an area that neither Chris Johnson nor Steve Slaton are very good at; blocking. Matt Forte was the third best blocking running back last year (behind MJD - who wasn't on the field as much, so take that with a pinch of salt, and Clinton Portis), as a rookie I think that's very, very impressive.

I believe that Forte contributes more to his respective team because he can do everything well. He'll only improve more this year with Jay Cutler under centre too, no more stacking the box now that the Bears have a QB that can throw the deep ball.

I don't doubt that Chris Johnson will make highlight reels with 50+ yard runs and that Slaton will continue to put up some good numbers, but I believe Matt Forte's a better football player than both of them.

Gay Ork Wang
07-22-2009, 10:50 AM
seriously though, Matt Forte's blocking was incredible

no bare feet
07-22-2009, 11:04 AM
Matt Forte's better than both of them.

Unlike Chris Johnson he didn't have LenDale White to pound defenses down and let him catch his breath, unlike Steve Slaton he didn't have people double covering Andre Johnson. People stacked the box against the Bears all year long because they knew we couldn't pass, Forte didn't have anyone to spell him and yet he still managed to put up great numbers.

Forte excels in an area that neither Chris Johnson nor Steve Slaton are very good at; blocking. Matt Forte was the third best blocking running back last year (behind MJD - who wasn't on the field as much, so take that with a pinch of salt, and Clinton Portis), as a rookie I think that's very, very impressive.

I believe that Forte contributes more to his respective team because he can do everything well. He'll only improve more this year with Jay Cutler under centre too, no more stacking the box now that the Bears have a QB that can throw the deep ball.

I don't doubt that Chris Johnson will make highlight reels with 50+ yard runs and that Slaton will continue to put up some good numbers, but I believe Matt Forte's a better football player than both of them.

I really can't argue with anything said here. Matt Forte is, what is often referred to as, a complete back

Malaka
07-22-2009, 11:55 AM
I still don't understand why Matt Forte keeps being brought up in a thread about Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton...

IMO Chris Johnson will have the better year, due to the fact that I believe he is just the better player than Slaton, and behind the Titans O-line he'll rack up a lot of yards, not to mention catches out of the backfield. In this day and age you almost always need a two back system in the NFL, and I think Slaton will be worn down if the Texans don't find a complement to him.

OzTitan
07-22-2009, 07:12 PM

He put up the numbers he did in part *because* of those conditions - who else was going to carry and catch the ball? Yeah, CJ was allowed breaks, but is that really a good thing from the perspective of a single season? the more you get the ball, the more you will produce. In the long term, maybe CJ was affored a luxury, but we're not evaluating the long term at the moment. I'm certain if CJ was pounded into the ground last season, or Slaton too, his stats would have been significantly better on what was already a great rookie season.

Forte's most impressive feat was his durability. Not wearing down under that work load, as a rookie, was very impressive. Maybe under the same conditions CJ and Slaton wouldn't have stayed so healthy, but who knows. They're all quality backs, and they all had very different situations.

TitansCJftw
07-23-2009, 01:09 AM
I love the jealous bear fans who cant help themselves, clearly the thread says... Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton... NOT MATT FORTE! LOL!

Gay Ork Wang
07-23-2009, 03:46 AM
I love the jealous bear fans who cant help themselves, clearly the thread says... Chris Johnson and Steve Slaton... NOT MATT FORTE! LOL!
The better question would be, why not?

BlindSite
07-23-2009, 04:29 AM
The better question would be, why not?

Because it took Forte 316 carries to do what Johnson did in 251.

I know the bottom line is what important, but how long it takes to get there is a big deal too imo.

Gay Ork Wang
07-23-2009, 04:43 AM
Because it took Forte 316 carries to do what Johnson did in 251.

I know the bottom line is what important, but how long it takes to get there is a big deal too imo.
thing is that the bears OL is worlds apart from the Titans OL. With no one actually being scared of the passing game at all and no one to take the carries from him, its kinda obvious why he didnt do that. beside the question right now is who has a better 2nd year and thinking about the acquisitions the bears made, he would definitely fit into the discussion.

Also consider the higher Yard per catch and more receiving tds, as well as the blocking.

Grizzlegom
07-23-2009, 08:35 AM
i voted for Slaton because i think his team is going to be better this year and i think the titans are going to regress so while i think they will have statistically similar years, i think slaton ends up doing it for a better team. (yes i just said that the texans will make the playoffs over the titans...)

LonghornsLegend
07-23-2009, 11:36 AM
thing is that the bears OL is worlds apart from the Titans OL. With no one actually being scared of the passing game at all and no one to take the carries from him, its kinda obvious why he didnt do that. beside the question right now is who has a better 2nd year and thinking about the acquisitions the bears made, he would definitely fit into the discussion.

Also consider the higher Yard per catch and more receiving tds, as well as the blocking.

What discussion would that be? Maybe if people were trying to figure out which 2nd year Rb would have the best year then yea, he'd fit into that discussion, but not this one. I don't know why it hurts Bears fans so much to not mention his name in every sentence about a RB, you guys have been doing this for over a year now.

And about your first point, the Titans don't have or didn't have anyone to be afraid of the passing game either...I get the whole "people will gameplan for CJ" but to be honest, people knew he was the Titans best play-maker by week 2 of the NFL season, nobody was that naive to have no clue who he was at that point.

I'm always more impressed when a RB can be the focal point of an offense, and the only legit play-maker, and can still put up pro bowl numbers, versus a back in Slaton who could find lanes due to attention to Andre Johnson, Daniels, Schab and Walters opening things up for him.

If you put CJ on Houston I think his stats are much better.

Gay Ork Wang
07-23-2009, 11:46 AM
What discussion would that be? Maybe if people were trying to figure out which 2nd year Rb would have the best year then yea, he'd fit into that discussion, but not this one. I don't know why it hurts Bears fans so much to not mention his name in every sentence about a RB, you guys have been doing this for over a year now.

And about your first point, the Titans don't have or didn't have anyone to be afraid of the passing game either...I get the whole "people will gameplan for CJ" but to be honest, people knew he was the Titans best play-maker by week 2 of the NFL season, nobody was that naive to have no clue who he was at that point.

I'm always more impressed when a RB can be the focal point of an offense, and the only legit play-maker, and can still put up pro bowl numbers, versus a back in Slaton who could find lanes due to attention to Andre Johnson, Daniels, Schab and Walters opening things up for him.

If you put CJ on Houston I think his stats are much better.
it doesnt hurt. but when asking about who have the 2 promising 2nd year Running backs are gonna have a better year, why not talk about the 3? I mean a thread like that always carries such an undertone talking about the best running back out of the bunch.

Im not really sure, but there were games for the bears where there were only 4 catches made by WRs. I mean the titans werent good passing the ball, but were they that bad? I mean Forte was the leading receiver.

besides, i didnt bring him up, but looking at how people think he is inferior by just stating carries is bull

trkaline
07-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Forte is going to continue to pop up, might as well retitle better 2nd year runningback.

awfullyquiet
07-23-2009, 04:10 PM
agreed.

I think forte is a very valid choice for a third back in this conversation.

It really determines what your concept of 'success' is though... I think they'll be equally as successful, but in very different metrics...

fenikz
07-23-2009, 04:13 PM
I vote Tim Hightower

comahan
07-23-2009, 04:16 PM
Its a thread about 2 people, stop being annoying and bringing up people the thread isnt about.

awfullyquiet
07-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Its a thread about 2 people, stop being annoying and bringing up people the thread isnt about.

fine.

it's just poor judgement to believe that slaton or johnson will be the top 2 second year RB's without any other consideration.

and from the general consensus, people are under the impression that it's 'not a contest'. which. it is.

CashmoneyDrew
07-23-2009, 04:36 PM
fine.

it's just poor judgement to believe that slaton or johnson will be the top 2 second year RB's without any other consideration.

and from the general consensus, people are under the impression that it's 'not a contest'. which. it is.

I don't think the OP only put CJ and SS because he thought they'd be the two best for sure. I just think he wanted an opinion on two fairly similar rbs from the same division that also had similar first year stats.

OzTitan
07-23-2009, 05:03 PM
i voted for Slaton because i think his team is going to be better this year and i think the titans are going to regress so while i think they will have statistically similar years, i think slaton ends up doing it for a better team. (yes i just said that the texans will make the playoffs over the titans...)

Trust me, you're not as original a thinker as you may believe :)

(i.e. it's basically a yearly tradition)

Bengalsrocket
07-23-2009, 05:15 PM
Trust me, you're not as original a thinker as you may believe :)

(i.e. it's basically a yearly tradition)

Yes, everyone loves the Texans as a sleeper pick for the play offs, it's probably the worst prediction you can make, due to the history of it lol.

TitanHope
07-23-2009, 05:43 PM
From my comprehension, it's a comparison between Johnson and Slaton because of their similarities they share and not an assumption that they'll be the two most successful RB's next season.

Johnson had 1,228-yards, 4.9 YPC, 81.9 YPG, and 9 TD's.
Slaton had 1,282-yards, 4.8 YPC, 80.1 YPG, and 9 TD's.

I get why people would initially think that the question is insinuating that these two RB's will be the best next season, but in reality, there's a reason for the question being specific. They're two home-run threats coming off extremely similar rookie years.

Forte is awesome. I thought he was amazing in the Titans/Bears game. But, not being involved in this discussion is by no means a slight to him or any other RB's. He's just not a part of the specifics. It'd be like me going into a thread asking, "Who will have the better season: Darren McFadden or Felix Jones?" and going, "What about Chris Johnson?" Someone would no doubt post and go, "Uh, maybe because he didn't go to Arkansas?"