PDA

View Full Version : 4 WR's to come in on Friday

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-20-2009, 08:24 PM
The Ravens are bringing in 4 wideouts to workout on Friday. D.J. Hackett and Drew Bennett are two of the four. The other two are not known yet, but Amani Toomer has already said he isn't attending :( Whether Mason returns or not, I would like to see the Ravens sign one of these guys. Either Bennett or Hackett, I loved Bennett back in 04-05.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-ravens720,0,2614606.story

- random question -
does anyone know what Paul Kruger will be playing for the Ravens next year? Is he gonna be a 3-4 OLB? and rush the passer, or are they using him as a DE?

SuperKevin
07-20-2009, 08:27 PM
I was really confused when they drafted Kruger. I really like the guy but he's without a real position in Baltimore

coordinator0
07-20-2009, 08:30 PM
I'm pretty sure he's going to be used mainly on the line, at least that's what the front office said earlier. I don't think it would be wise to see him as a LB too much.

America
07-20-2009, 10:21 PM
Out of the two aforementioned, I can't say which I'd rather have. Bennett brings that size and production. But Hackett has the youth and speed. I think Hackett could be the choice, cause it's not like he's getting other offers and he could be a good investment for the future.

diabsoule
07-20-2009, 10:54 PM
Why not sign Bennett and Hackett even if it is for 1 year deals?

Ravens1991
07-20-2009, 10:59 PM
About Kruger I think we will be seeing a lot of 4-3 sets in the future. Put him in to replace Pryce at 4-3 DE. Gooden is a perfect fit for 4-3 OLB, he can play 3-4 ILB but is better suited for 4-3. I could see us having Kruger bulking up to 280 so he can play either 4-3 DE or 3-4 DE.

and I agree I hope we sign someone, either Bennett Hackett Toomer IDC to a 1-2 year deal

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-21-2009, 09:03 AM
Why not sign Bennett and Hackett even if it is for 1 year deals?

That's what I was hoping they'd do. But I think Harbaugh is fine with what they got so I guess they'll definetly sign 1 of the 4, but 2 is unlikely.

lordquas
07-21-2009, 12:58 PM
bennett would be a horrible pickup.
dj hackett wouldn't be bad,
but i want marvin harrison the most.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-22-2009, 06:54 AM
bennett would be a horrible pickup.
dj hackett wouldn't be bad,
but i want marvin harrison the most.

Harrison? He's not physical enough to play in the AFC North. Toomer is my favorite.

ChefMike
07-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Marvin would be a great veteran to bring in and help be a set of reliable hands and take some pressure off Clayton since he HAS to step up and be the 90 - 1100 - 8 to 11 TD guy for us....

EdReedUnstoppable
07-22-2009, 05:19 PM
Amani Toomer would be my first choice, however I don't want any of these retread clowns like Bennett/Hackett/Washington let the young guns get the job done!!

Btw pft is reporting that Joe Horn wants to be a Raven.......thanks but no thanks Joe.

trkaline
07-22-2009, 05:25 PM
Pftt Joe Horn can go **** himself, maybe 3 years ago...maybe...

America
07-22-2009, 08:41 PM
Harbaugh thinks Mason will be back

Ravens1991
07-22-2009, 08:47 PM
I heard he was optimistic that he is back. I didnt hear that he thinks he will be back

EdReedUnstoppable
07-22-2009, 09:09 PM
I hope he's not back! .......... EVER!

Ravens1991
07-22-2009, 11:58 PM
Pftt Joe Horn can go **** himself, maybe 3 years ago...maybe...

I will take Flacco favorite WR from college(yea he probably isnt in the NFL and no one on this board would recognize his name) over Horn

diabsoule
07-23-2009, 02:27 AM
I will take Flacco favorite WR from college(yea he probably isnt in the NFL and no one on this board would recognize his name) over Horn

I'd take Marvin Harrison and his walker over Joe Horn and his hoveround.

lordquas
07-23-2009, 09:46 AM
so does everyone else agree we need dez bryant or arelious benn?

coordinator0
07-23-2009, 11:34 AM
I do, but we probably won't be in a position to get them.

SuperKevin
07-23-2009, 11:36 AM
I'd say the need for a CB is probably just as high as a WR. The Ravens are and always will be a run oriented offense that only uses short safe passes when it needs to. There is no real reason to get stud WRs in Baltimore.

Ravens1991
07-23-2009, 12:36 PM
I think we may need a nickelback soon, Washington and Foxworth are both solid CB. I wouldnt spend a 1st on a CB unless its a major steal or it is a big physical CB that we desperately need. I could see us looking at Dline,TE,WR,maybe a elite C prospect as well.

Granted it is before the season starts so it is all speculation and we will see.

trkaline
07-23-2009, 12:40 PM
I think we may need a nickelback soon, Washington and Foxworth are both solid CB. I wouldnt spend a 1st on a CB unless its a major steal or it is a big physical CB that we desperately need. I could see us looking at Dline,TE,WR,maybe a elite C prospect as well.

Granted it is before the season starts so it is all speculation and we will see.

I think Carr would be a good Nickleback..anyones better than Corey Ivy...good riddence..

Ravens1991
07-23-2009, 12:41 PM
that is true, I mean hopefully we dont have freaking Nakamura as our damn nickel back like he was in the Pittsburgh playoff game

trkaline
07-23-2009, 12:44 PM
Wouldn't it just be dandy if Webb were to develop in the next few years?

Ravens1991
07-23-2009, 12:47 PM
O damn I totally forgot about him. Well IDK where he will be, are we going to develop him as a S or CB. But I think he can, Reed is his hero so hopefully he works out w/ him and he will do just fine

lordquas
07-23-2009, 09:33 PM
lets just hope Mason comes back and stop denying that our offense wouldn't love him back.
toomer seems just as old as harrison?

Marvin Harrison has the veteran swagger and if he's not asked to do too much he could be a great pickup.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-24-2009, 08:00 AM
It's looking more and more like Mason will be a Raven for atleast one more year. If he does retire, he'll be forfeiting around 3-4 million dollars. Which makes no sense whatsoever. I pray that Ozzie doesn't give him more money, cause after screw the Ravens over like he did, he doesn't deserve it. I say they leave it all up to him, let him make the choice, does he want 4.4 million dollars? or does he not? And come one guys, he still hasn't filled his retirement papers, so its obviously, him trying to get a bigger contract. Also, the team said that Drew Bennett is the leading candidate to replace Mason, and I for one, feel confortable with him. He's huge (6'5) and was a reliable WR before he broke his foot last year. With his size, he compliments Claytons speed very nicely. I could see him be a monster in the endzone for the Ravens.

trkaline
07-24-2009, 10:11 AM
While I would like to have Mason back I have adjusted to the fact that he might not be back, so I could care less either way. He was a Warrior last year, but dont **** with my team. douche.

coordinator0
07-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Looks like Bennett has been sent to take a physical and will ear a contract if he passes. The others were sent home. I don't mind Bennett.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-drew-bennett-ravens-723,0,837369.story

EdReedUnstoppable
07-24-2009, 05:05 PM
Not excited about Bennett at all. We know what Drew Bennett is, he is a guy who is never gonna be a go to guy for us, and a injury prone guy. He's been through the league for 8 years and never been a top guy. I know why they've done this but to me its keeping a young WR who could maybe progress into something of good quality down. Just when I get optimistic about the Ravens they do something like this and make me believe its the same ol same ol on the offensive side of the ball. By that I mean look at the Bart Scott situation, a veteran leaves and we let an unproven guy in Gooden takeover and we have full confidence. On the offensive side of the ball when somethin happens we panic and we go out and get these retreads and any one you can put the term "veteran" on instead of letting young guys takeover and see what we have.

lordquas
07-24-2009, 05:10 PM
we should be excited about Drew Bennett..
its only a 1 year contract,
he's our best red-zone target as of now,
and he has great character and can teach the young guys.

ChewyRaven318
07-24-2009, 08:03 PM
Not excited about Bennett at all. We know what Drew Bennett is, he is a guy who is never gonna be a go to guy for us, and a injury prone guy. He's been through the league for 8 years and never been a top guy. I know why they've done this but to me its keeping a young WR who could maybe progress into something of good quality down. Just when I get optimistic about the Ravens they do something like this and make me believe its the same ol same ol on the offensive side of the ball. By that I mean look at the Bart Scott situation, a veteran leaves and we let an unproven guy in Gooden takeover and we have full confidence. On the offensive side of the ball when somethin happens we panic and we go out and get these retreads and any one you can put the term "veteran" on instead of letting young guys takeover and see what we have.

The thing is, it's EXCITING to see what Gooden is capable of, he's young, and obviously very talented. Bennett hasn't done a damn thing with any team, and this signing hopefully just means that Mason is talked into coming back and Bennett doesn't even make the final roster.

lordquas
07-24-2009, 08:43 PM
ps...

i have a feelin Jason Phillips is a lot better than everyone thinks

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-24-2009, 08:52 PM
I'm actually really excited about Bennett, he probably has the most experience out of all the WR's on the roster. He gives Flacco a massive target in the end zone and over the middle. I remember about two to three years ago, this guy tore up the Ravens secondary and he was a pretty good WR. I hope this opportunity rejuvenates his career and he gives the Ravens atleast 1 good year. Another plus to this, is that Mason is likely to return which means the WR corps is a lot better than it was before his "retirement" Looks like this -
WR1 - Mason
WR2 - Clayton
SLOT - Williams
WR4 - Bennett/Smith
WR5 - Kelley Washington/Smith/Bennett

They'd actually have some competition at WR!!! :) Plus Bennett and Mason used to play together in Tennessee, so that's probably just icing on the cake for the Ravens, in there attempt to try and get Mason to return.

America
07-26-2009, 07:47 PM
I feel like people are forgetting Bennett's 80 catch, 11 TD year just a few seasons ago. It's not like he's been a backup his whole career. He's been productive with average QBs. He made Billy Volek look like a pro bowler and was the only reliable receiver during Vince Young's rookie year.

EdReedUnstoppable
07-26-2009, 09:47 PM
we should be excited about Drew Bennett..
its only a 1 year contract,
he's our best red-zone target as of now,
and he has great character and can teach the young guys.

Really? Because he just retired because he injured his knee during the workout. Yeah man....get excited.

OZZIE ******* STOP BRINGING IN THESE CLOWNS!!!! GO WITH WHAT WE HAVE!!!!!

ChewyRaven318
07-26-2009, 10:43 PM
Really? Because he just retired because he injured his knee during the workout. Yeah man....get excited.

OZZIE ******* STOP BRINGING IN THESE CLOWNS!!!! GO WITH WHAT WE HAVE!!!!!

I agree with you, but you know what this means..

DJ Hackett, Baltimore Raven, OOOOO YEAAA!..how long before HE retires due to an old injury?

duckseason
07-27-2009, 02:29 AM
I'd say the need for a CB is probably just as high as a WR. The Ravens are and always will be a run oriented offense that only uses short safe passes when it needs to. There is no real reason to get stud WRs in Baltimore.
I think any team would open up the passing game if they were able to. It's the abilities of your players that dictates your scheme. Having Derrick Mason as the primary weapon in the passing game for the last several years explains a lot. As do key injuries. Just because a guy goes home every night to his 250 lb wife doesn't mean he's not dreaming about being with supermodels.

With Flacco as the future at QB and guys like D. Williams moving up the depth chart, I think we'll see more and more shots down field. They'd be foolish not to take advantage of that arm strength and bring in more talent at WR. I'd imagine that opening up the field would be a pretty big priority for any run oriented team. I think Mason's retirement is a blessing in disguise. Let's just all hope Williams can stay healthy for a change.

As for CB, I think they actually have a lot of young depth. I think a lot of those guys deserve a few more looks before we write them off and say it's a big need. They don't have that same depth at WR. I see what you're saying though. The CB play is a big key and needs improvement.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-27-2009, 07:08 AM
wow. I absolutely cannot believe this. ******* speechless. On the bright side, we've got some young talent at WR that should set up in preseason with all this open spots :)

I think any team would open up the passing game if they were able to. It's the abilities of your players that dictates your scheme. Having Derrick Mason as the primary weapon in the passing game for the last several years explains a lot. As do key injuries. Just because a guy goes home every night to his 250 lb wife doesn't mean he's not dreaming about being with supermodels.

With Flacco as the future at QB and guys like D. Williams moving up the depth chart, I think we'll see more and more shots down field. They'd be foolish not to take advantage of that arm strength and bring in more talent at WR. I'd imagine that opening up the field would be a pretty big priority for any run oriented team. I think Mason's retirement is a blessing in disguise. Let's just all hope Williams can stay healthy for a change.

As for CB, I think they actually have a lot of young depth. I think a lot of those guys deserve a few more looks before we write them off and say it's a big need. They don't have that same depth at WR. I see what you're saying though. The CB play is a big key and needs improvement.

I agree, if D-Will can stay healthy, he could finally be that dangerous deep threat the Ravens need, but D-Will isn't the only WR I can see blossoming under Flacco, I think Mark Clayton will have a breakout year. The guy never had a legit QB and last year with Flacco, he came along nicely as the season ended. I see him taking the role of Mason if he does not return and I see D-Will becoming a down field threat that will keep defenses honest. I think the biggest thing is that they've got Flacco, and if they have a good QB, then the rest should just be chemistry between the QB an WR's.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-27-2009, 08:03 AM
Still in major need of at least 1 veteran receiver. Clayton and D-will are the starters no doubt but behind them it's a bunch of trash. We need a vet receiver who's capable of stepping in if Clayton or D-Will get hurt.

lordquas
07-27-2009, 09:39 AM
yeah drew bennetts a fagboy for retiring. didnt see that coming

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-27-2009, 09:54 AM
Still in major need of at least 1 veteran receiver. Clayton and D-will are the starters no doubt but behind them it's a bunch of trash. We need a vet receiver who's capable of stepping in if Clayton or D-Will get hurt.

yeah, I've wanted Toomer from the start but the FO keeps bringing in these no names like Justin Brown in last Friday's tryout. They shoulda brought in Harrison or Toomer instead.

trkaline
07-27-2009, 10:38 AM
Claytons next to retire. He's going to decide that he'd rather Herd Llamas in Peru than be the go to guy on the Ravens.

America
07-27-2009, 11:04 AM
If only we had gone after Tory Holt when we had a chance. We would have been set even after Mason's retirement.

And I don't think D-Will is ready or deserving of a starting role. I don't even think he's a legit #3. All of our faith in him is on potential and he hasn't come close to fulfilling it in 3 seasons.

no bare feet
07-27-2009, 11:54 AM
I was going to lock up Drew Bennett as a #2 fantasy wideout. = (

America
07-27-2009, 02:15 PM
Quinn Sypniewski waived (KFFL). Guess he either wasn't recovering or Davon Drew is showing something more than expected.

lordquas
07-27-2009, 02:19 PM
na Amani Toomer is washed up, no thanks.
Marvin Harrison, maybe but I doubt it. Although he would help Flaccos progression.
what we need is explosiveness and speed.
DJ Hackett and Drew Carter are the only 2 guys that come to mind.
Clayton's now the #1 guy, and has a lot to prove.
I'm excited about #87 too. He needs to have a breakout year for our passing game to flourish.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-27-2009, 03:41 PM
Quinn Sypniewski waived (KFFL). Guess he either wasn't recovering or Davon Drew is showing something more than expected.

WHAT???? Quinn Sypnewski got cut?? Wow, that is a huge shock. He was easily our best blocker at TE and he was a decent pass catcher as well. Now who's gonna be there blocking TE? Sure hope it isn't Heap cause they need him more in the passing game. And I'm starting to agree with ERU on the Ravens WR situation, forget about all these old washed up FA's, let's let the younger guys step up and show what they can do!

TimD
07-27-2009, 03:49 PM
WHAT???? Quinn Sypnewski got cut?? Wow, that is a huge shock. He was easily our best blocker at TE and he was a decent pass catcher as well. Now who's gonna be there blocking TE? Sure hope it isn't Heap cause they need him more in the passing game. And I'm starting to agree with ERU on the Ravens WR situation, forget about all these old washed up FA's, let's let the younger guys step up and show what they can do!

please rex pick him up. we need a blocker. please rex please.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-27-2009, 04:51 PM
please rex pick him up. we need a blocker. please rex please.

Isn't Dustin Keller a solid all around TE?

EdReedUnstoppable
07-27-2009, 05:38 PM
Biren Ealy.........WHO?!!!!

ChewyRaven318
07-27-2009, 08:13 PM
Biren Ealy.........WHO?!!!!

Was arrested earlier this year(or last year..whatever) for public urination and disorderly conduct..sounds like a real winner. He's prolly just a camp body, any way you cut it.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-27-2009, 09:14 PM
yeah, just someone to take reps, HOPEFULLY nothing serious. I've been hearing that whether or not Mason returns, they are still looking to sign another vet at WR.