PDA

View Full Version : Cowboy Truths/Predictions

thule
07-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Feel free to throw out some thoughts/predictions.

I have some predictions.

Jason Williams won't see the field on defense this year.

Ware will go down for an extended period of time this year...3-5 games.

We will make a Run at peppers in 2010...I love Spencer..but he is another put up or shut up player this year. I expect big things...but not sold either.

For the billionth year in a row dallas will be exposed in the middle. Our ILBers in the base defense will cost us first downs...and it will cost us atleast one game.

Offensively I'm not worried about Roy Williams at all...he will be a stud...Romo needs to spread the ball around to be successful.

Our biggest problem that went overlooked over the offseason was keeping Garrett around. I'm not drinking any coolaid...He will disappoint again i have a feeling. He doesn't put his players in position to exceed...it's his scheme you play to fit it. Where as Wade follows the "i'll put you in the best position possible. Conflicting philosophies will be our downfall if we fail in 2010.

9-11 wins is where we will end up. We WON'T be the worst team in the NFC east.

We won't fail because the other team is more talented...so all that talk about the rest of the division getting better is null imo.

Bye Bye Doug Free...I loved him and think he can play...but he isn't gonna make the cut right now imo. McQ/Brewster get the spots.

Sam Hurd will be better and more productive than Miles Austin.

Roy Williams will be better and more productive than Terrell Owens this year.

Most improved player = Terrence Newman - last year he was good...this year he stays on the field all year and is shutdown...best player on our defense outside of Ware.

Biggest failure = Marcus Spears...by the end of the year you will be 2nd string.

We will finish tied for 2nd in the division with the Giants imo.

Redskins 11-5
Cowboys/Giants 10-6
Eagles 8-8

I'm not drinking the Eagles juice with D...I don't think Maclin see's the field a ton this year...and McCoy will just be average...with Westbrook old and broken down for periods of time..and losing Dawkins...this team will disappoint. .500

OPOTY = Roy Williams/Tony Romo however you wanna look at it. I lean Williams just for the fact that their are so many doubters...and that Romo and Witten will do what they always do.

DPOTY = Newman/Ware - I lean Newman if Ware goes down

POTY = Tony Romo...he plays good in December

Surprise of the year = Bobby Carpenter...he becomes an impact player for us and proves to be an upgrade over Kevin Burnett in both aspects of the game.

Dallas will have a dominant defense this year. Teams will be lucky to score over 21 points on us. Not quite a ravens defense...but our team will be in every game.

FinChase
07-21-2009, 11:52 AM
Ok, here are mine:

Roy Williams will be an effective #1 WR in 2009

Crayton will end up as the 2nd receiver over both Austin and Hurd.

McQuistan will be gone after training camp.

At some point during the season Newman will be out for a number of games and Jenkins and Scandrick will be the starters.

Flozell Adams will struggle with injury again, which will have a ripple effect on the rest of the offense--a bad effect.

Our special teams will be our most improved unit this year.

My prediction for wins: Much as I'd like to predict 16-0, I'll have to go with 10-6. Maybe 11-5 if we aren't hit too badly by the injury bug.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-21-2009, 12:26 PM
Hah Thule don't drink the Skins juice too much, we are an 8-8 team again. We will have big ups and big downs. Lots of inconsistency. I think the division is between the Giants and Eagles with the Skins and Cowboys fighting for that 8-8 to 9-7 record.

ricowboy
07-22-2009, 08:08 PM
Giants: Best oline and dline in the conference if not the league. 11-13 wins.
Eagles: Most active offseason.....Jim Johnson and Dawkins gone will hurt more than people think. McNabb carries the team to second place.....best QB in the division. 10-12 wins.
Boys: Coaching and JJ kill the boys again. Shannahan or Holgrem come to town. 7-10 wins at best.
Skins: Coaching and injuries kill the Skins.....They are due for some veterans to miss time....not enough young bodies to fill the gaps. 7-10 wins.

ricowboy
07-22-2009, 08:09 PM
Hah Thule don't drink the Skins juice too much, we are an 8-8 team again. We will have big ups and big downs. Lots of inconsistency. I think the division is between the Giants and Eagles with the Skins and Cowboys fighting for that 8-8 to 9-7 record.

Realistic look at how things shake out. Good job!

D-Unit
07-22-2009, 08:30 PM
My 1 prediction for you guys.

- Colt Brennan will take over as the starting #1 QB and lead you to the playoffs.

D-Unit
07-22-2009, 09:03 PM
- Cowboys will finish last in the division.

- Wade Phillips will be demoted from HC duties.

- Jason Garrett will take over as interim HC. Could possibly get an extension to be the new HC.

- Tony Romo is the next Jake Delhomme in many ways. He will become the team's leader, and he'll be excellent some days, mediocre some days, and terrible some days. Ball control & turnovers will still be an issue. Nevertheless, he will be the Cowboys starting QB and not have to worry about job security.

- The running game will be the most effective means of attack on offense, but the Cowboys will ignore it and lean more on the pass.

- Inability on the OL and/or DL will be the root of the team's demise.

- Flozell Adams goes to the Pro Bowl.

- Roy Williams does not go to the Pro Bowl.

- Dallas Defense leads the league in sacks again.

- Dallas front 7 is soft against the run (LEFT, RIGHT or UP THE MIDDLE).

- Dallas secondary is DOMINANT.

- Bobby Carpenter is a bust.

- Anthony Spencer is an average OLB.

- Gerald Sensabaugh is inconsistent.

- Keith Brooking is a nice surprise.

- Igor Olshansky is just awesome.

E-Man
07-23-2009, 04:03 PM
My predictions are:

-Jason Garrett lets everyone down again. The offense will be productive, but by season's end it will be too predictable. I think this is his last year here.

-Jason Williams will be a decent surprise. I think he'll outplay Carp, and he'll show some nice things.

-Special teams won't be a problem anymore, and I expect it to keep from having one or two losses like last season.

-Roy Williams will get over a 1,000 yards, and might make the Pro Bowl if he gets the notoriety.

-Barber comes back with a vengeance. He won't be hobbled by nagging injuries, and with Felix and Tashard wrecking things he'll be deadlier than ever.

-Still problems in the middle with coverage, but not as bad as years past. Bradie and Brooking will hurt at times in that department, but Williams and Carp will make things a little easier with their quickness.

-Kyle Kosier continues to get hated on, but he'll still do a good job. The line will play like 2007 again, and his play will get overlooked.

-Ken Hamlin disappoints, and people will call for DeAngelo Smith too early in his career.

-The defense performs better than last year, and ends up somewhere between top 5-10. Ware and Spencer form a good tandem, Newman and the young guns make the coverage scary, and the D-line won't be a big problem unless injuries occur.

-The team goes 11-5, and finishes either second or first in the East. There's too much talent on the team to be negative, and the other teams in the East have more working against the Cowboys.

Sniper
07-23-2009, 04:09 PM
Dallas secondary is DOMINANT.

What makes you say this? What did you see last year that makes you think this will be the case?

D-Unit
07-23-2009, 04:24 PM
What makes you say this? What did you see last year that makes you think this will be the case?
Getting rid of Anthony Henry for starters. T-New has been more vocal of late stepping up as a leader and if he's healthy unlike last season, then that's another reason. Mike Jenkins and Orlando Scandrick will battle for the spot opposite of Newman and BOTH are really talented. That AND the coaching staff and players keep praising Alan Ball. DeAngelo Smith and Mike Mickens are just rookies, but they already understand most of the scheme as Campo (Dallas' secondary coach) was their coach at Cincy...add in the familiarity factor. Hamlin is the man. Speaking of the name Hamlin, we added Michael Hamlin in the draft. Roy Williams and Keith Davis are completely out of the picture and Gerald Sensabaugh (another Campo player) in his prime comes over from the Jags.

So just call it a hunch. I think the Cowboys secondary will be better than ever. Maybe even DOMINANT, but that's just a bold prediction.

Brent
07-23-2009, 04:29 PM
Prediction: Stephen McGee is a bad ass... I guess that's not really a prediction.

E-Man
07-23-2009, 04:39 PM
I've been really liking the Mickens pick more and more as I think about it, and I hope he becomes a solid contributor in the future. I've always liked his talent, and I like the fact that there isn't much pressure on him. That way he can play a little loose, and he can let his talent show. The good thing is that Newman, Jenkins, and Scandrick make a really sick threesome, so right now a good dime guy that can do some things athletically is what they're looking for. I'm liking the depth at CB.

D-Unit
07-23-2009, 04:39 PM
Prediction: Stephen McGee is a bad ass... I guess that's not really a prediction.
That was actually one of the picks I liked.

SeanTaylorRIP
07-23-2009, 05:09 PM
I've been really liking the Mickens pick more and more as I think about it, and I hope he becomes a solid contributor in the future. I've always liked his talent, and I like the fact that there isn't much pressure on him. That way he can play a little loose, and he can let his talent show. The good thing is that Newman, Jenkins, and Scandrick make a really sick threesome, so right now a good dime guy that can do some things athletically is what they're looking for. I'm liking the depth at CB.

Well how could you have ever not loved the pick? 7th round pick for a guy who was dubbed a 2nd rounder earlier in the year before injuries, workout issues, etc.

E-Man
07-23-2009, 06:58 PM
Well how could you have ever not loved the pick? 7th round pick for a guy who was dubbed a 2nd rounder earlier in the year before injuries, workout issues, etc.

I always liked the pick. I meant that I liked it then, and I'm in love with it now. I actually liked the Cowboys draft this season. I'm not screaming Super Bowl, but I liked the fact that there are plenty of options to add to things. The Mickens pick was exactly what I was hoping for at the time. A guy with talent that slipped. With the way the CB situation is, I'm glad that he won't have to do much early on.

Brent
07-23-2009, 07:52 PM
That was actually one of the picks I liked.
I won't be shocked if he takes that #2 job from Kitna

D-Unit
07-23-2009, 08:03 PM
I won't be shocked if he takes that #2 job from Kitna
If you mean this year, then I would be.

Macarthur
07-24-2009, 11:59 AM
Okay, I've been thinking about this and here's mine.

1. The offense will be fine. RW will have around 1100 yards and 10 TDs. Garrett will retrench himself as one of the bright young coaches in the league. I think the WR focus will be minimized due to my #3 and #4.

2. Tony will have a better year but not have huge numbers due to more emphasis on the running game.

3. Running game will be a handful. Felix will, early on, become the starter and MBIII will move back into the "closer" role.

4. Breakout player will be Tellus. This guy is going to explode. He won't have tons of catches because of Whitten, but he will be a big play guy. I could see him having 3-4 "impact" plays per game.

5. 3rd year in Wade's system will pay big dividends. Wade has finally gotten the types of guys (i.e., cover guys at safety) he likes in the secondary. I really think the defense is going to take another step forward, primarily turnovers.

6. On the negative side, If Flo struggles again with injury, we could be in trouble. I think the preseason will be very important to track the progress of Free. I think it's worth noting that there were guys there in the 2nd, namely Beatty, but they decided to pass. Could that possibly mean they think Free is progressing well?

7. Special teams were a disaster last year. Obviously, we have drafted some athletic kids, but they are young. I think if our ST are improved, that could amount to a 2 game swing. Remember last year, ST all but cost us the Arz game.

Lots of folks are focusing on the big stuff like Romo, RW, Garrett, etc. While those things are certainly a big part of the equation, I think something like special teams is flying under the radar, but could have a gigantic impact on the season. If the new kicker is as advertised, and McBriar comes back strong, we could actually have an above average ST group.

As far as record, I think the over under starts at 9.5. I think they have a good shot at 10 or 11 wins. However, if injuries hit key spots, they could easily end up with 7 or 8 wins. I predict 10-5 2nd place in East.

LizardState
08-07-2009, 08:07 PM
I predict 10-5 2nd place in East.

Could happen. Going to need a little luck though.

8-8 or worse could get Garrett fired.

xxxxxxxx
08-08-2009, 03:59 PM
Anywhere from 7-9 to 12-4. I really don't know.

One bold prediction, Sensabaugh is pro-bowl bound/ will lead the NFC in picks for safeties.

Brent
08-08-2009, 04:42 PM
If you mean this year, then I would be.
Well, I would hope that by the end of the season they see that Kitna isnt needed and go into 2010 with McGee at #2. A lot of my Cowboys-fan friends didnt like the pick, which shocked me since it seems like, since Romo was the #2, there hasnt been a trustworthy #2 QB.

M.O.T.H.
08-08-2009, 05:14 PM
We'll see what happens. He's a project and has been pretty damn awful thus far. Even being outplayed by Rudy Carpenter for stretches of time. He's already got a nice little nickname from his teammates, Captain Checkdown. I've seen different variations of the nickname as well but, it's the general consensus. No one expected him to light up camp but, he's coming around slowly. Gun shy, holding the ball too long, throwing into heavy coverages, tucking and running on 7 on 7's, which is laughable. I expected raw but, I was hoping he'd be a sharper than he has been. No worries, though...he's got plenty of time to develop. Hopefully he doesnt get himself killed in the preseason. lol. Just has to absorb as much as he can from Romo and Kitna, and he'll be fine in time.

Staubach12
08-08-2009, 10:13 PM
Okay, I just made **** up. Educated guesses here.

-11-5 and a wildcard.
-Jason Garrett comes back and has a good year, but still doesn't take full advantage of all the talent on the offense. He gets a HC job somewhere.
-The defense shoots out of the gate, but has some troubles down the road.
-Wade Phillips is replaced or demoted (PLEASE demoted, he's a great coordinator). There's too much talent on this team to waste it like he is.
-Tony Romo is more consistent this year. Pro Bowl.
-Barber and Jones are both fantastic, but Choice gets left out of the loop.
-Jason Witten is our leading reciever, and reinforces his place as the best TE in football.
-Martellus Bennett, Roy Williams, and Sam Hurd all put up good numbers and Hurd becomes the up-and-coming playmaker on our offense. He plays #1 when Roy goes down fr a few games.
-Austin and Crayton do very little this year.
-Flozell goes down. It's a little ugly for a few games.
-Igor Olshansky and Jay Ratliff play well, but no DE emerges as that third guy and it becomes apparent that Marcus Spears isn't coming along.
-Bradie James is inconsistent, Brooking is mediocre.
-DeMarcus Ware seriously gets in the MVP conversation.
-Opposite of Ware is a revolving door. No one really shows much.
-Newman is godly, and Jenkins/Scantric are awesome, but one of them goes down. Major up-and-comers.
-Ken Hamlin is very good, but not a game-changing force.
-Sensabaugh lets a lot of people down. Goes on and off. Mostly off.
-Mike Hamlin shows a lot of potential when he's in, but the coaches don't trust him enough to put him in too much. This pisses some fans off.

therock6000
08-09-2009, 11:50 AM
Projected finish: 10-6 with a wildcard
Eagles win division and giants get the other 'card
Will win 3 out 4 from AFC west
David Buehler Team ROY
Defensive Ends will be average at best
Secondary much improved (scandrick/newman top 6 CB duo)
Ware awesome...rest of LBs not so much
Offensive line dominant in run game, sketchy in pass pro
Witten usual self...Bennett much improved
RBs fantastic...Barber gets banged up, Choice steps in and very solid, Jones fantastic in screens and wheel routes
WRs unspectacular (including Roy Williams)
Romo...look, i'm still mad the boys didn't draft Brady Quinn so my evaluations of him will be forever skewed...but I do like the Kitna pick up...

Burns336
08-09-2009, 06:05 PM
Prediction: 8-8 record, but a lot of close games.

Worst case: 6-10, offense lost all explosion, Garrett refuses to tailor his calls to the personnel (more fit to be a power team)

Best case: 11-5, we win a few of those close game and come up with key plays. We assert ourselves as a power team that puts together methodical drives and plays sound defense.

D Ware -- DPOY, comes back with 19 sacks to follow up his 20 sack season.

Spencer only gives us 7-8 sacks, but looks to be a consistent piece opposite Ware

Our D-line continues to get abused by power running teams.

Flo misses a few games and Free fills on admirably. He has his ups and downs but shows potential to be the PASS blocker we need at LT. Leaves a lot to be desired in the run game which is even more reason to get a monster LG asap.

Newman has a career high in INT's -- finishes with 6 in 14 games.

Mike Jenkins looks like the 1st rounder we tabbed him as. He'll be the risk taker that turns in some huge plays. Scandrick remains consistent and good, but not flashy.

Roy Williams will piss everyone off. He wont be as bad as I make him out to be, but he'll fall short of expectations. 900 yards and 7 TD's -- Not worth what we gave up for him.

Marty B, Felix, and Barber end up being the 3 big play energy guys for the team on offense. Marty scores 9 TD's and Barber bounces back with 15 total TD's.

herniateddisc
08-09-2009, 07:57 PM
12-4
Romo has a great year and successful December
D leads the league in sacks and INT
The D Triangle breaks down at some point with Ratliff, Brooking and James and it will cost us games
Austin and Hurd have 40 catch seasons with Roy and Crayton around 60/60
Carpenter and Spencer prove their value -- just not first round value.
Spears is benched finally.
DE play well as a unit.
Wasted 2009 draft much like 2007.
Running game is much better
Passing game is much shorter
We lose in the NFC Championship Game but break the streak
Wade, unfortunately, keeps his job and Garrett finally bolts
Jones continues to ignore LT, OL, ILB and NT in the draft
Pray for few injuries as usual

pocketaces
08-09-2009, 08:41 PM
12-4
The D Triangle breaks down at some point with Ratliff, Brooking and James and it will cost us games
DE play well as a unit.

Wow, 12-4 with the 2nd worse G.M. in the league. Seems like you said last years draft was a waste also (except for Jenkins). Glad to see your so optimistic with all the bad talent our G.M. acquired. :rolleyes:

herniateddisc
08-09-2009, 08:44 PM
,,,,Glad to see your so optimistic with all the bad talent our G.M. acquired. :rolleyes:

All of Parcells talent is maturing at the same time. They are all in their prime and they got rid of Cancer Boy.

therock6000
08-10-2009, 12:53 PM
12-4
DE play well as a unit.

I thought i was being optimistic about 10-6...I hope your predictions come true instead of mine