PDA

View Full Version : Running Back issue

ricky bobby
03-09-2007, 10:18 AM
We need a back to split time with Jacobs. The FA class was alright, but most players have been signed.

Willis McGahee - off market
Jamal Lewis - off market
Dom Rhodes - off market (thankfully)
Thomas Jones - off market

some free agents still available
Corell Buckhalter - not what we need
TJ Duckett - not what we need
Mike Turner (RFA 1st, 3rd)
.. that's about it.

A couple of trade or release rumors
Clinton Portis / Betts - probably would cost a second rounder
Julius Jones - 3rd rounder most likely. Intruiging option.
Tatum Bell - Lions want a 2nd rounder, not happening
Lamont Jordan - may be released, not our type

We don't have much options left, other than to draft a RB.

Jughead10
03-09-2007, 10:24 AM
Darius Walker!

ricky bobby
03-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Antonio Pittman! (2nd round)
Lorenzo Booker!

Forenci
03-09-2007, 10:31 AM
We need a back to split time with Jacobs. The FA class was alright, but most players have been signed.

Willis McGahee - off market
Jamal Lewis - off market
Dom Rhodes - off market (thankfully)
Thomas Jones - off market

some free agents still available
Corell Buckhalter - not what we need
TJ Duckett - not what we need
Mike Turner (RFA 1st, 3rd)
.. that's about it.

A couple of trade or release rumors
Clinton Portis / Betts - probably would cost a second rounder
Julius Jones - 3rd rounder most likely. Intruiging option.
Tatum Bell - Lions want a 2nd rounder, not happening
Lamont Jordan - may be released, not our type

We don't have much options left, other than to draft a RB.

Interesting trade options. Jones might be interesting, but I'm not certain he'd be willing to take on the 'spell Jacobs' role. Our best bet would to be to draft one of the following backs:

- Brandon Jackson,

- Lorenzo Booker,

- Antonio Pittman,

- Darius Walker,

- Chris Henry,

- Garrett Wolfe.

That's just to list a few, but I think those might be the most reasonable options for us. I'm interested in Chris Henry and what round he may go in after that nice run at the combine. Would love if we could get him in the third. Need to see some more of his game tape..

eacantdraft
03-09-2007, 11:53 AM
Brendan Jackson from Nebraska may be another possibility.

moc182
03-09-2007, 11:58 AM
I would have liked to have gone the free agent route here with Travis Henry or Dominic Rhodes to get an experienced guy to team with Jacobs. It's not a huge deal to have to address the issue in the draft since the learning curve for tailbacks isn't terribly large, so a player like Lorenzo Booker, Brandon Jackson, or Darius Walker would be a nice addition.

GiantRutgersFan
03-09-2007, 12:04 PM
BRIAN LEONARD!!!!!

or Darius Walker.

although Reese should have just signed a F/A while we had the chance....

Forenci
03-09-2007, 12:11 PM
BRIAN LEONARD!!!!!

or Darius Walker.

although Reese should have just signed a F/A while we had the chance....

Argh, stop suggesting we draft Leonard. It's unrealistic unless we move up in the second round, which is also unrealistic.

joepas171
03-09-2007, 12:26 PM
If we can get Leonard in the 2nd cool....if not, theres plenty to go around, even in the later rounds...

I'm banking on Jacobs....1450 yds 16 tds. 40 catches too..

Crazy huh?

ricky bobby
03-09-2007, 12:41 PM
If we can get Leonard in the 2nd cool....if not, theres plenty to go around, even in the later rounds...

I'm banking on Jacobs....1450 yds 16 tds. 40 catches too..

Crazy huh?
Extremely.

Damix
03-09-2007, 12:57 PM
Booker is my favorite choice

GiantRutgersFan
03-09-2007, 01:06 PM
Argh, stop suggesting we draft Leonard. It's unrealistic unless we move up in the second round, which is also unrealistic.

I think he has a good chance of being available for our second rounder

hugepunch
03-09-2007, 01:40 PM
i really like kenny irons i caught a few games this year then i saw him on espn sr challege. hes like chad johnson as far as his attitude. hes funny.

hugegmenfan
03-09-2007, 02:07 PM
o wow- i think if we could get a 3rd rounder for julius jones we should do that truthfully- i meam im opposed to takin a hb 1st round but booker, irons, hunt and brandon jackson should def b on our list

toonsterwu
03-09-2007, 02:11 PM
I'll be surprised if Leonard is at your pick in the 2nd round. He should be gone before then, and I honestly wouldn't rule out a team going for him in the first.

I think a slashing/cutting style runner to pair with Jacobs makes the most sense. No clue on how Reese drafts. Booker, Jackson, Pittman make the most sense. Grade wise, my guess right now is that it is Pittman, Booker, Jackson, with Pittman perhaps available at your 2nd round pick, Booker's value perhaps lying between your 2nd/3rd round pick, and Jackson, for now, probably as a mid-late 3rd round value, so potentially there.

Btw ... if Jacobs gets those numbers ... well, I'm not sure what I would do ... but I'd be fairly stunned.

ricky bobby
03-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Even with Droughns, I think we need a scat back.

hugepunch
03-09-2007, 02:50 PM
i guarantee jacobs is going to stun people next year i predict 1350 13 td.

hugepunch
03-09-2007, 02:51 PM
actually maybe 1250 lol

Forenci
03-09-2007, 03:30 PM
I love Jacobs, as if the bright and blinded sig I made did not indicate such. I believe he'll be an excellent player, and once he has some more practice at being a starter, he might very well be one of the top five running backs in the league in a few years. That's just my personal opinion though. I also like his attitude. He has some fire in him..kind of the opposite of Tiki.

hugegmenfan
03-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Even with Droughns, I think we need a scat back.

with droughns we dont need to address HB day 1- i would still strongly consider a guy like brandon jackson in round 4 or 5 tho we still need a fast, shifty back and im pretty sure he ran an impressive 40

eacantdraft
03-10-2007, 10:24 AM
with droughns we dont need to address HB day 1- i would still strongly consider a guy like brandon jackson in round 4 or 5 tho we still need a fast, shifty back and im pretty sure he ran an impressive 40

Oh yes we do. Droghns is 28, averaged less than 4 yards per carry last year. He is not a breakaway back and is not very elusive. He is not a change of pace from Jacobs.

I never saw such excitement from a trade of one teams garbage for another teams garbage.

BigBlue58KiperIII
03-10-2007, 11:58 AM
How could u compare Droughns, w has rushed for over 1000 twice to Tim Carter? Droughns isnt the Giants savior but if u think this is trash for trash you're wrong. Drougns has done something in this league, Carter has sucked the big one. Carter made me want to kill myself everytime i watched him, he sucked so much. No Droughns doesnt have blazing speed but he is a good receiver out of the backfield and allows BJ to pace himself into the starting role. EACant draft are u even a Giants fan because, this is a good football move and i dont know how u could say this is crap for someone elses crap when he was their starter the last 2 years. If they didnt just sign Lewis he would still be their #1 back, until they drafted Peterson.

Slasher28
03-10-2007, 12:52 PM
Ok, if he wasn't going to be their starter next year than that means that he wasn't that great, he had two good seasons and now he is plummeting, he has eight seasons on his belt, plays like Brandon Jacobs, and he has a criminal record. Tim Carter wasn't good, but he helped us when Toomer was out and Moss was out, we are losing some of our key players, I predict the giants go 5-11. Its a rebuilding season.
Droughns is a little bit better than Carter

hugegmenfan
03-10-2007, 01:11 PM
Ok, if he wasn't going to be their starter next year than that means that he wasn't that great, he had two good seasons and now he is plummeting, he has eight seasons on his belt, plays like Brandon Jacobs, and he has a criminal record. Tim Carter wasn't good, but he helped us when Toomer was out and Moss was out, we are losing some of our key players, I predict the giants go 5-11. Its a rebuilding season.
Droughns is a little bit better than Carter

I dont think u could b more wrong- carter actually did not help us when toomer was out- he failed to help us. he dropped way too many balls and could not get open. I would hardly call carter a 'key player' hes very expendable and droughns is much better than carter- he will have a bigger impact on the team and id actually say he is a better reciever than carter is also
I predict a 7-9, 8-8 season...we have an easier schedule than last year
also he wasnt going to b their starter because they signed lewis and he was due a 2 million dollar roster bonus next week which they didnt want to pay, if not they would have kept him to team up with lewis
he has a criminal record?

Slasher28
03-10-2007, 01:13 PM
got arrested for assault and drunk driving, two different insidents, there might be one more

culloden1745
03-10-2007, 01:41 PM
Difference between Carter + Droughns
Carter was supposed to be a #1 or #2, hes at best a 4. Huge Bust. 22 catches in a season where he was the #2 wr for half the year.
Droughns should be a backup rb/ mentor to Jacobs, Hes a proven commodity. He did poorly last season in Cleveland, but who exactly has excelled there? So as much as he was a product of the system in Denver, he was the same in Cleveland.
As for the mileage on him, less then 1000 carries in 8 years. Thats alot less the OJ Anderson had when we picked him up. All Giants need Droughns to do is spell Jacobs and get some yds, and help Jacobs pick up what he doesnt get yet. Not carry the team. Carter was a 2nd rd pick. He was supposed to be a vital part of the offense, at least a 50-60 catch guy. If he turned out to be what Accorsi thought, we might not needed to sign Plaxico.