PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best RB selected out of the 05 draft?

Brown Leader
07-23-2009, 01:56 PM
Was having this debate the other day and I'm curious what folks on here think.

Gay Ork Wang
07-23-2009, 02:01 PM
id prolly say Frank Gore.

terribletowel39
07-23-2009, 02:03 PM
I voted Brandon Jacobs.

But when on the field, its Ronnie Brown. But because he hasn't had near the playing time. I voted for the big guy.

CashmoneyDrew
07-23-2009, 02:07 PM
The Barbarian in my opinion.

princefielder28
07-23-2009, 02:09 PM
Frank Gore is the most accomplished out of any of those choices

Bengalsrocket
07-23-2009, 02:12 PM
idk, words like "best" are hard to use. I voted Frank Gore because his consistency makes him the "best" candidate for a team. But Ronnie Brown and The Barbarian both are pretty good when they actually see the field.

tjsunstein
07-23-2009, 02:39 PM
Ryan Grant wasn't drafted. :)
Jacobs, Barber, and Gore. Can't exactly go wrong with any of them.

ChezPower4
07-23-2009, 02:44 PM
I went with Ronnie Brown but Gore is a close second

LonghornsLegend
07-23-2009, 03:18 PM
I think Gore and Ronnie are the best 2, if were not just going off of stats.

I have Barber right behind in 3rd, barely in front of Jacobs because of Barber's ability to catch out of the backfield and I actually think he's a better more complete back then Jacobs, but still when you weigh 260 and gain some momentum your hard to stop.

Caddy could of been at least in the argument but injuries got him off track before he got started.

superman8456
07-23-2009, 03:24 PM
I voted Ronnie Brown just for his versatility and all the fact he can do everything. He is an absolute stud when he isnt hurt.

Gay Ork Wang
07-23-2009, 03:26 PM
Cedric Benson is clearly the best

Vikes99ej
07-23-2009, 03:29 PM
I went with Barber, but Gore and Jacobs are close.

Hurricanes25
07-23-2009, 03:30 PM
Frank Gore but Barber, Brown and Jacobs are a close second.

awfullyquiet
07-23-2009, 04:06 PM
Ronnie Brown is the most talented.

But does that define 'best'.

Ryan Grant statistically has the best value per draft position.
Frank Gore has the best statistical value.
Brandon Jacobs is the 'best fit'.
Marion Barber is the best pure runner.

So, which one makes it the best? Given the same opportunity with consideration to injury and team strength, i'd pick ronnie brown.

Paranoidmoonduck
07-23-2009, 04:21 PM
I'm a big Gore fan. If all were assured to be healthy for me for a season, Ronnie Brown is still the most impressive back from that class, but Gore has definitely earned his placement atop the group for the time being.

Brent
07-23-2009, 04:24 PM
http://prod.static.49ers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/photos/2008_game_photos/49ers_vs_seattle_/frank-gore--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

<3333

YAYareaRB
07-23-2009, 04:30 PM
Frank Gore for two reasons..

1) I think he's been the most consistent running back despite being on teams with shotty QB play from the start. He's been hurt, played through being hurt, and done it with class. He's just about the last of the 1 back system RBs but that's supposed to change this year. He's a tank and when everything is failing we could always count on him.

and

2) I'm a homer!

ChezPower4
07-23-2009, 04:33 PM
http://prod.static.49ers.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/photos/2008_game_photos/49ers_vs_seattle_/frank-gore--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg

<3333

Your such a homer brent lol

CashmoneyDrew
07-23-2009, 04:34 PM
It's too bad for all of Cadillac's injuries. I feel like we all could be making a legit case for him right now if he wasn't so unlucky.

TitleTown088
07-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Ryan Grant statistically has the best value per draft position.

Because he wasn't drafted. :)

trkaline
07-23-2009, 05:54 PM
I went with Brandon Jacobs because of what he can do to any player, team, brick wall with a full head of steam.

jballa838
07-23-2009, 06:24 PM
People are under the impression that Ronnie Brown is good? If you remove his one big game vs NE, he had 803 yards and 6 Td's. I doubt he torches anyone for 4 TD's anytime soon without being the QB in a gimmick formation, since they now have Pat White for that.

I'll take Gore, then Barber. Gore is a better and more productive running back than anyone else on here.

Brent
07-23-2009, 06:33 PM
Your such a homer brent lol
it's not being a homer if, in this case, it's the truth. people are saying that so-and-so is best when healthy but this isnt a hypothetical of "when they are healthy" it's who is best and you have to account for how prone they are to injury.

E-Man
07-23-2009, 06:52 PM
Frank Gore has been the most productive, so I'll go with him. He's slipped since the big 06 season he had, but he hasn't slipped that bad when you consider the things that happened during that span. It's hard to deny that he's had the best season out of all, and he has the most rushing, receiving, and combined yards of them all.

The debate gets interesting after, because then it's a serious rundown between Brandon Jacobs and Marion Barber. Both are really good power runners that have given their teams some serious weapons in the past few years. You can make an argument for both being the better RB. I don't want to sound like a homer, but I'm going with Barber. Here's why. Barber has more rushing yards over his career than Brandon Jacobs has combined yards. Look at their numbers side by side.

Barber-
715 rushes; 3,052 rushing yards; 36 TDs
137 catches; 1,010 receiving yards, 6 TDs
4,062 combined yards; 42 total TDs

Jacobs-
555 rushes; 2,620 rushing yards; 35 TDs
40 catches, 359 receiving yards; 2 TDs
2,979 combined yards; 37 total TDs

Barber is clearly the more complete back, and while Jacobs has the power edge, Barber runs very well in that department. Didn't Barber get the most yards after contact one year? That might have been commentator hyperbole, but it might be worth looking into.

awfullyquiet
07-23-2009, 06:54 PM
that's a very fine reasonable assessment.

America
07-23-2009, 06:56 PM
If only Caddy didn't get hurt. He was awesome.

MasterShake
07-23-2009, 07:33 PM
If only Caddy didn't get hurt. He was awesome.

I was never that impressed with Caddy in the NFL....even that decent rookie season he wasn't impressive, just a solid NFL back.

Shane P. Hallam
07-23-2009, 08:14 PM
I say Gore over Jacobs and Ronnie.

jsagan77
07-23-2009, 08:36 PM
No team can stop Brandon Jacobs

/thread

umphrey
07-23-2009, 08:43 PM
I voted Ronnie Brown. Marion, Jacobs, Gore all have more impressive running styles but I'd take Brown on my team because he is the best all purpose and will probably be the most reliable health-wise.

nikkayeah
07-23-2009, 09:26 PM
No team can stop Brandon Jacobs

/thread

steelers and eagles can

Brent
07-23-2009, 09:35 PM
I'd take Brown on my team because he is the best all purpose and will probably be the most reliable health-wise.
Ronnie is not the best all-purpose. Gore has had more rushing yards, receptions and receiving yards in his career, with far less talent around him.

LonghornsLegend
07-23-2009, 09:54 PM
I put some of Caddy's injuries on Jon Gruden.

The guy was never that big to begin with, and he got his career started averaging 30 carries a game, one game he had 37, seriously, 37 carries for a 210 lb RB fresh out of College.

Nobody even does stuff like that anymore...He finished the year with 290 carries and he missed 2 games and was hurt in alot more, but the sad thing is last year he was starting to look like a shell of his former self at least vs Oakland before getting hurt towards the end.

No idea why he was in a meaningless game, I know he's not the franchise player or anything but considering how many injuries he's had, and how good he was looking, I would of been content with him going into another off-season finishing on a high note.

Had he started his career off in a platoon with another bruiser he could of been a very good RB, but he wasn't built like a 230lb workhorse who could get those types of carries every week.

katnip
07-23-2009, 10:32 PM
frank gore

A Perfect Score
07-23-2009, 10:36 PM
I went with MBIII. Love the running style, and if I was supposed to choose one of these guys tomorrow to be my starting RB, it would be him. That said, I love Frank Gore, and admire what he has done with 2 reconstructed knees. Ronnie Brown had all the talent in the world, and I loved Ceddie Benson at Texas, but neither ever really shot off in the pros.

WMD
07-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Frank Gore!

the decider13
07-23-2009, 10:56 PM
Frank Gore for sure

YAYareaRB
07-23-2009, 11:32 PM
I went with MBIII. Love the running style, and if I was supposed to choose one of these guys tomorrow to be my starting RB, it would be him. That said, I love Frank Gore, and admire what he has done with 2 reconstructed knees. Ronnie Brown had all the talent in the world, and I loved Ceddie Benson at Texas, but neither ever really shot off in the pros.

Who didn't love Texas RBs?

Brent
07-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Who didn't love Texas RBs?
<-----This guy!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l227/jomarlucerio/stephen_colbert_thumbs_up.jpg

phlysac
07-24-2009, 06:35 PM
It is interesting to see how many posts mentioned injury history. If we're using "what-ifs" then you can include Frank Gore in that list as well.

He was the best back at "The U" as a true freshman. Clinton Portis and Willis McGahee were still around. Had Gore not torn his ACL in both knees during his college career he very likely coulld've been a top-5 draft pick just like Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams. If not for his injury red-shirt he would've been in the 2004 Draft which was stacked with talent but the first RB taken was Steven Jackson at #24.

yo123
07-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Frank Gore is a stud, Jacobs is great but a lot of his success is from the system/oline. Gore is producing without anything really to stop teams from stacking the box.

1. Gore
2. Jacobs
3. Barber
4. Brown
5. Grant
6. Sproles
7. Benson

Da-Phins
07-24-2009, 08:34 PM
People are under the impression that Ronnie Brown is good? If you remove his one big game vs NE, he had 803 yards and 6 Td's. I doubt he torches anyone for 4 TD's anytime soon without being the QB in a gimmick formation, since they now have Pat White for that.

I'll take Gore, then Barber. Gore is a better and more productive running back than anyone else on here.

He was dominating the league in 2007 before he tore his ACL. Dude was just a beast out there. If he gets back to what he was in 07, he will be the best. Right now I'd say Gore is the best.

scottyboy
07-24-2009, 08:56 PM
who the **** would vote for Barber? how does he have 13? geez. fail

ironman4579
07-24-2009, 09:14 PM

I'm not really sure how you figure this. Brown has more rushing yards, better yards per carry, more receiving yards, better yards per reception, and obviously more combined yards. The only thing Barber has on Brown is TD's, and he was getting the majority of the carries close to the goal line in '06 and '07. I brown hasn't really "shot off" then neither has Barber.

A Perfect Score
07-24-2009, 09:23 PM
I'm not really sure how you figure this. Brown has more rushing yards, better yards per carry, more receiving yards, better yards per reception, and obviously more combined yards. The only thing Barber has on Brown is TD's, and he was getting the majority of the carries close to the goal line in '06 and '07. I brown hasn't really "shot off" then neither has Barber.

Well, Brown also went #2, and Barber went #109...when i say that Brown never really "shot off" I say it in the sense that he never really proved worthy of his draft position, and has also had some mega health issues that have prevented him from taking off in the sense that he should of. Barber, I love his running style, and in my opinion, has done more to distinguish himself then Brown, as he is regarded as one of the most physical runners in football. Just my opinion of course.

VernonLawson89
07-24-2009, 09:59 PM
http://nfldotcom.files.wordpress.com/2009/05/f_gore_090519_blog.jpg

ironman4579
07-24-2009, 10:13 PM
Well, Brown also went #2, and Barber went #109...when i say that Brown never really "shot off" I say it in the sense that he never really proved worthy of his draft position, and has also had some mega health issues that have prevented him from taking off in the sense that he should of. Barber, I love his running style, and in my opinion, has done more to distinguish himself then Brown, as he is regarded as one of the most physical runners in football. Just my opinion of course.

I would say that has something to do with the fact he plays for the Cowboys as well. The question really isn't "who's the best for their draft position," but who's been the best RB? Personally, I'd say Gore has been the most productive, and I'd say he's been the "best." But I'd put Brown ahead of Barber.

smittyjs
07-28-2009, 08:17 PM
It's too bad for all of Cadillac's injuries. I feel like we all could be making a legit case for him right now if he wasn't so unlucky.
The same here, that is why i went with Frank Gore.