PDA

View Full Version : Marvin Harrison Allegedly Hired A Gunman

kwilk103
07-24-2009, 01:19 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/07/23/report-shooting-victim-claims-marvin-harrison-hired-gunman/

Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2009 11:23 PM ET
So I'm sitting here, working on a SportingNews.com column and trying not to pass out due to the 4.5 hours or so of sleep I got last night after a late night at the Green Day show in Pittsburgh, and just as my eyes are in full droop mode I see an e-mail with the subject line "Scoop on Harrison."

I considered leaving it for the morning, but I waited too long to talk myself into procrastinating.

Within seconds, I was wide awake.

According to the Philadelphia Daily News, the man who was shot seven times earlier this week and who previously claimed he'd been shot by former Colts receiver Marvin Harrison told authorities before he slipped into a coma that he believes Harrison hired the gunman.

Wow.

But the law enforcement source who provided the information to the Daily News also said that Harrison is not yet considered a suspect, pointing out that police "won't know what made [the victim] say that until he wakes up."

As we pointed out the other night (carefully and professionally, in order to avoid getting sued . . . or shot), Harrison clearly had a motive. The victim, Dwight Dixon, has filed a civil lawsuit against Harrison arising from the April 2008 shooting. ESPN The Magazine, which published in January an excellent item on this (insert unnecessary emphasis on the next two words) civil case not accompanied by criminal charges (yeah, we're being smartasses indirectly), all but fingered Harrison as the shooter. And with Harrison unable to hide behind the Fifth Amendment protection against self-incrimination (he can still invoke it, but the jury is allowed to infer liability if he does it), Dixon's persistence could eventually trigger a prosecution, since Harrison will be forced to respond to the charges.

"I'm pretty comfortable I know who fired the gun," Philadelphia District Attorney Lynne Abraham said at the time. "But I'm not going to say because I don't have the evidence."

The bigger question for now is whether the person who fired the gun at Dixon this time around has any connection to the person who fired the gun 15 months ago.

BlindSite
07-24-2009, 01:26 AM
It's very, very thin. If this guy has had people shoot at him before chances are there's a reason and just because Harrison may have shot at him at some time, or has some grip, enough of one to want to ice him, doesn't mean he hired a gun man.

It's possible, unlikely and unusual but possible I suppose.

Staubach12
07-25-2009, 01:39 AM
I agree with Blind. Unlikely, but possible. I'll be surprised if it turns out to be a hired gun who did it, but I won't write it off, either.

Whistler6
01-14-2010, 10:42 PM
The real Marvin Harrison story? It's posted in GQ and all sources are quoted, so I guess choose what you want to believe...It's a really intense piece of writing.

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/20...arvin-harrison (http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201002/marvin-harrison)

...Followed up by this from ESPN -- http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...r_espn_4826851 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4826851&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_4826851)

Brent
01-14-2010, 11:05 PM
http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/20...arvin-harrison (http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201002/marvin-harrison)
Harrison keeps it real.

phlysac
01-14-2010, 11:15 PM
The real Marvin Harrison story? It's posted in GQ and all sources are quoted, so I guess choose what you want to believe...It's a really intense piece of writing.

...Followed up by this from ESPN -- http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/s...r_espn_4826851 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4826851&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_4826851)

This is the same story that Robert Nixon told last year when he sued Harrison. This isn't a new story, it's just packaged in nice magazine with decent writing.

I'm not judging validity of the story but there's a reason that Nixon's statements were considered "fabricated" by authorities. I don't know that reason... but it's been done.

Monomach
01-14-2010, 11:15 PM
http://img696.imageshack.us/img696/5128/efc8d50758b1e35498544c2.jpg

Snitches get stitches, dawg!

tjsunstein
01-14-2010, 11:19 PM
Harrison isn't from the nice part of Philly. Dude's straight hood.

Whistler6
01-14-2010, 11:36 PM
Sport's Guy Bill Simmons and Jason Whitlock are backing it, so I think it's pretty legit. There's no "proof" supposedly against Marvin Harrison, but where there's smoke there's usually fire. It's going to all come out in the end, and I'm not sure I wanna know.

yo123
01-14-2010, 11:37 PM
Harrison is str8 thuggin it

vikes_28
01-14-2010, 11:41 PM
i'm a thug ******.

Jvig43
01-15-2010, 12:05 AM
So there werent any charges filed against him the first time? I cant find anything about it, and I find it odd that so much of that case's evidence points to him as the one being the culprit but hes "not a suspect". So weird.

nepg
01-15-2010, 07:10 AM
Stopped reading at "Posted by Mike Florio on July 23, 2009 11:23 PM ET"

phlysac
01-15-2010, 10:57 AM
Sport's Guy Bill Simmons and Jason Whitlock are backing it, so I think it's pretty legit. There's no "proof" supposedly against Marvin Harrison, but where there's smoke there's usually fire. It's going to all come out in the end, and I'm not sure I wanna know.

It is "legit". Legitimately the story told by Robert Nixon. The same story he told authorities after being arrested for drugs in 2008. The same stroy he told when he sued Marvin Harrison. The same stroy he told when he was again arrested for drugs, recently... and the same story he told when authorities deemed it lacking credibility.

steelernation77
01-15-2010, 11:32 AM

Maybe you could read the GQ story.

Or you could just stay ignorant.

tylerb929
01-15-2010, 01:27 PM

It says at the bottom,"*Re-created from interviews, court filings, and police reports, and told through the eyes of Robert Nixon"

So basically its Nixon's word versus Harrison's. And if we're just going to believe everyone that sues celebrities for money, we might as well believe Roethlisberger is a rapist too.

I'm sure the real story is somewhere in between Harrison's and Nixon's.

TitleTown088
01-15-2010, 02:06 PM

http://www.gq.com/sports/profiles/201002/marvin-harrison?currentPage=1

Read this one then.

That Nixon guy in prison hold the bullet inside himself to prove Harrison guilty it sounds like.

Whistler6
01-15-2010, 04:04 PM
It is "legit". Legitimately the story told by Robert Nixon. The same story he told authorities after being arrested for drugs in 2008. The same stroy he told when he sued Marvin Harrison. The same stroy he told when he was again arrested for drugs, recently... and the same story he told when authorities deemed it lacking credibility.

There must be something to the story, since the case is being reopened, and reported on by ESPN and other sports sites.

FUNBUNCHER
01-15-2010, 04:54 PM
Dwight Dixon is dead, gunned down earlier this week in Philly in what has the makings of a hit for hire.
This is the same guy who was shot by bullets from Marvin Harrison's gun in a previous encounter, but that Harrison claims was locked in a safe and he never used in the prior shooting.

Just my gut, but I think former lock HOFer Marvin Harrison is in BIG TROUBLE, epsecially if the FBI can locate the shooter who killed Dwight Dixon earlier this week.

This has the makings of the biggest murder scandal in pro football since the O.J. trial.

WMD
01-15-2010, 05:03 PM
I would have never, ever, ever expected something like this to be associated with Marvin Harrison.

phlysac
01-15-2010, 06:14 PM
Dwight Dixon is dead, gunned down earlier this week in Philly in what has the makings of a hit for hire.

See... this is how stuff gets out of hand. The Robert Nixon story is from 2008. GQ publishes it in 2010 and people think it's new news.

You claim that Dwight Dixon was gunned down earlier this week... he was shot on July 21, 2009 and died from those wounds on September 4th.

FUNBUNCHER
01-15-2010, 09:05 PM
Whoops.....

I'll admit I haven't followed this story as closely as some, but I still think Harrison may be in some bad sh#t if and when the FBI concludes their investigation.

If someone can implicate him in both shootings, especially if there's a connection between Harrison and the gunman who killed Dwight Dixon, that's all she wrote.

Monomach
01-15-2010, 09:30 PM
I still can't believe that Marvin didn't get put away after the first shooting.

Ok, so...

1. Marvin kicks guy out of his bar
2. Marvin and guy scream at eachother
3. Guy gets shot
4. Gun is found in a bucket inside Marvin's car wash
5. Gun is traced, belongs to Marvin
6. Marvin says "whoops! how'd that get there? should've been in my safe at home!"
7. ?????
8. Marvin goes free

nepg
01-15-2010, 09:35 PM

"Stay ignorant"...? Ya, OK. Because I refuse to read and encourage others not to read things put up by someone who is a known fabricator of rumors?

I'm not saying one way or the other, and yes, GQ is a more reliable source of journalism... Just saying I'm not taking anything Florio says as fact or possible fact.

Monomach
01-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Just saying I'm not taking anything Florio says as fact or possible fact.

Florio's opinions are usually ********, but the man's site is the single most comprehensive collection of "must read" football information each day.

If you ignore his opinions, there's nothing but fact.

ig⋅no⋅rant [ig-ner-uhnt]
1. lacking in knowledge or training; unlearned
2. lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact
3. uninformed; unaware.
4. due to or showing lack of knowledge or training

So, yes. You are staying ignorant. You fall squarely within #2 there.

Jvig43
01-16-2010, 12:33 AM

Ok, so...

3. Guy gets shot
6. Marvin says "whoops! how'd that get there? should've been in my safe at home!"
7. ?????
8. Marvin goes free

Seriously this. I didnt get it when it happened, I still dont. To honestly state they dont believe he has ANYTHING to do with this is bs.

FUNBUNCHER
01-16-2010, 06:56 AM

Ok, so...

3. Guy gets shot
7. ?????
8. Marvin goes free

Yeah, if some guy was in alley shot by a bullet from a gun I owned, I'm certain most of us on this forum would have been in jail for attempted murder.

This case makes no sense, so far.

UKfan
01-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Man, Marvin was pretty much the reason I got into NFL, and definitely the reason I first watched the Colts. Loved the dudes amazing hands and route running. I'm really hoping that somehow this is all just a big coincidence, but I doubt it :(

J52
01-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Yeah, if some guy was in alley shot by a bullet from a gun I owned, I'm certain most of us on this forum would have been in jail for attempted murder.

This case makes no sense, so far.

Ownership of a gun isn't enough evidence to prove anything.

tjsunstein
01-16-2010, 09:36 AM
Seriously this. I didnt get it when it happened, I still dont. To honestly state they dont believe he has ANYTHING to do with this is bs.

They think he has something to do with it but they have to prove it in the court of law.

MetSox17
01-16-2010, 10:18 AM
Ownership of a gun isn't enough evidence to prove anything.

This. If he hasn't been charged with anything, it's because they don't have he proper evidence to say that it was actually Harrison that either pulled the trigger or got/hired someone to do it for him.

Monomach
01-16-2010, 02:01 PM
http://www.gq.com/blogs/the-q/2010/01/exclusive-new-philly-da-to-take-fresh-look-at-marvin-harrison-case.html

Philly's new DA looking to bag Marvin.

Jvig43
01-16-2010, 06:38 PM
They think he has something to do with it but they have to prove it in the court of law.

I understand that, I'm a law studnet, but where im confused about..... how they keep stating hes NOT a suspect. Their not treating him as a suspect is what gets me.

phlysac
01-16-2010, 11:28 PM
I understand that, I'm a law studnet, but where im confused about..... how they keep stating hes NOT a suspect. Their not treating him as a suspect is what gets me.

It's difficult and often impossible for a person to be officially considered a suspect when there isn't physical evidence implicating them. He's obviously a person of interest but they shy away from labeling someone a suspect without significant evidence.

Twiddler
06-18-2010, 07:51 PM
I know that this is an old thread, but there's an update, for anyone who had an interest in this case.

Apparently Marvin was stopped in a traffic stop a few days ago and they found a 9mm handgun in the car, which Harrison initially denied having. The police are apparently testing the gun to see whether or not it had to do with either of the two shootings that he was possibly involved in.

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2010/06/17/marvin-harrison-surrenders-gun-to-police-following-traffic-incid/

XLIV
06-18-2010, 08:27 PM
i really believe he did it and i hope he rots in jail.

Bengals78
06-18-2010, 09:08 PM
This is racist.
"Allegedly"
Bull crap.
When Ben was accused of rape it was a "sure thing" he did it.
Now its all alleged crap for Marvin?

/sarcasm

Philliez01
06-18-2010, 09:39 PM
O.G.

Honestly, this is kind of fascinating to me in so many ways. Just because Marvin was quiet nor flashy doesn't in any way mean he's a high-character guy. I loved him being a Colts fan though. It was fun when he was at his peak for so long and sad to see him struggle through injury.

Anyway, its an interesting case. So much evidence yet none at all. All circumstantial even though I think there were two witnesses who refused to speak right? Marvin has some seriously dangerous pull it seems. I'm sure we'll be hearing more in the coming days.

yourfavestoner
06-18-2010, 09:55 PM
O.G.

Honestly, this is kind of fascinating to me in so many ways. Just because Marvin was quiet nor flashy doesn't in any way mean he's a high-character guy. I loved him being a Colts fan though. It was fun when he was at his peak for so long and sad to see him struggle through injury.

Anyway, its an interesting case. So much evidence yet none at all. All circumstantial even though I think there were two witnesses who refused to speak right? Marvin has some seriously dangerous pull it seems. I'm sure we'll be hearing more in the coming days.

I know, I have been absolutely fascinated by this case since it first broke.

LonghornsLegend
06-19-2010, 04:49 PM
I too find this amusing. One of the most quiet guys on the field, not flashy at all, yet behind closed doors he's a real gangster lol. Pretty ironic seems like. Driving around with pistols that were used in murders you would of never thought was his forte.

Brodeur
06-19-2010, 05:08 PM
Peyton Manning's SNL skit with the children was a parody of Marvin off the field.

Brent
06-19-2010, 05:14 PM
I know, I have been absolutely fascinated by this case since it first broke.

I too find this amusing. One of the most quiet guys on the field, not flashy at all, yet behind closed doors he's a real gangster lol. Pretty ironic seems like. Driving around with pistols that were used in murders you would of never thought was his forte.
I have to agree with all of you, this story is so ******* awesome. It's like something off TV.