PDA

View Full Version : McDaniels Can Turn It All Around With One Call

Jimmy
07-27-2009, 08:51 PM
***Before you read... keep in mind.. this is not a single team topic. This can be broadened to a discussion once the end is reached***

Josh McDaniels may not be completely to blame for the Broncos well renown off-season woes, but he sure deserves most of it.

He has run a Pro-Bowl Quarterback on the verge of NFL Icon status out of town. At the age of 25.

He has failed to sign an impact defensive lineman in Free Agency, for the league's worst pass rush over the last 5 years. (Robert Ayers)

McDaniels is the laughing stock of the league, message boards everywhere have shown no restraint in completely drowning him with insults.

I can't even remember everything he's done. It has been such a train wreck of unfortunate event after event that my memory has chosen to selectively block every news headline starting with "McD" out of my line of vision.

And he deserves, the man is truly responsible for one of the worst off-seasons in NFL History.

But what if he had an opportunity to take a chance, create some controversy, and completely turn it around with a single call?

Yes. If McDaniels was able to make a single phone call to turn things around, however controversial that person on the receiving end happens to be... However shocking... Would McDaniels make that call? And if he followed through, would he be willing to take the heat if it didn't work out?

What if that person on the recieving end of that call was Joel Segal?

Joel Segal is more widely known as Michael Vick's agent. Roll your eyes, call me a homer looking for a sign of hope. But nothing this McDaniels has done leads me to believe this Denver team will make an impact, the man needs to do something to stop the bleeding, and he needs to do it now.

I was once Vick's biggest... Well.. Whatever the opposite of fan is. I honestly think the man just can't throw the ball. But... I think the Denver Broncos need to give him a chance. At least get him on the roster to spark some interest. The city of Denver deserves it after all Josh Mickey D has done for the team. Kyle Orton won't cut it.

I don't want to turn this into a completely Broncos oriented thread, as there wil be many Vick suitors. So the two questions that follow.

1. Would this be a good move for the Broncos in your mind? Would it stop the bleeding, or make McD look more like his current self?

2. Who else is in the mix? Explain why.

Have at it, this could get interesting.

Xonraider
07-27-2009, 09:10 PM
I really don't see Michael Vick as the solution to anyone's problems.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-27-2009, 09:11 PM
I don't think McDaniels(or the Denver Broncos) should pursue Vick, it would come as too much of a distraction for a team with its own fair share of problems. Plus, they have enough offensive weapons with Royal, Marshall, and hopefully for them Knowshon Moreno, and they have a great offensive line. He should be more focused on that defense, Vick is not a player for the Denver Broncos IMO.

PACKmanN
07-27-2009, 09:12 PM
there is too much talent on that offense for Orton to fail as many except. He may not do the things that Culter did, but i don't except the offense to slow down too much. The defense is still the question mark on that team, a bigger one now.

Brent
07-27-2009, 09:36 PM
the call he should be making is to Moreno to practice even if the contract isnt signed yet

BuddyCHRIST
07-27-2009, 09:38 PM
No, I agree that Vick should not be looked at the solution to any problems. But just another asset you can add, he's been out of football for 2 years so I wouldn't count on him for anything. He needs to be back in the league for a year before people start putting expectations on him.

BlindSite
07-27-2009, 09:52 PM
Why do people continue to expect Vick to be in the same dominant form he was once in after 2 years out of football.

He played his last meaningful game in december of 2006 when he was at his height of production. He was fit, well into a regime and well into an offense.

He's now 29, hasn't played a down and hasn't been anywhere near a proper NFL conditioning program. Yeah he'd be a draw for a few fans and yeah he might help the offense pick up a few first downs every game, but the potential backlash and fall down he could cause in a team outweighs what could be brought about by putting as much as possible for Orton to succeed.

If any team is a fit, Denver is, but he's not the answer to any particular problem.

TitleTown088
07-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Orton will do just fine in that offense. No need.

The Unseen
07-27-2009, 11:08 PM
Why do people continue to expect Vick to be in the same dominant form he was once in after 2 years out of football.

He played his last meaningful game in december of 2006 when he was at his height of production. He was fit, well into a regime and well into an offense.

He's now 29, hasn't played a down and hasn't been anywhere near a proper NFL conditioning program. Yeah he'd be a draw for a few fans and yeah he might help the offense pick up a few first downs every game, but the potential backlash and fall down he could cause in a team outweighs what could be brought about by putting as much as possible for Orton to succeed.

If any team is a fit, Denver is, but he's not the answer to any particular problem.

bizzingo. Vick was a good player. Two years in jail plus a massive amount of controversy over his head equals a no-longer good player.

As if Denver didn't hate McDaniels enough...this would put them over the edge.

fenikz
07-27-2009, 11:16 PM
Broncos will go 10-6 this year and win the AFC West

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
07-27-2009, 11:36 PM
Maybe we should sign him, it's not like we can get worse.

07-27-2009, 11:42 PM
Vick would be pretty deadly in a spread, imo. Just think about it.

I don't feel that it's an awful idea, as long as he's never the focal point of the offense.

brat316
07-28-2009, 01:48 AM
If Vick can play defense then sign him.

Cicero
07-28-2009, 01:57 AM
If Vick can play defense then sign him.

He could have probably been a decent FS.

Gay Ork Wang
07-28-2009, 04:51 AM
He could have probably been a decent FS.
Or a passrusher. I mean, he knows what the QB is thinking

no bare feet
07-28-2009, 07:20 AM
From the stand point of McDaniels and his already tarnished image, I don't like it. He needs to save face more than lose it. This is not a risk worth taking for him unless McDaniels feels the reward greatly out weighs the risks and feels it is a guarantee that Vick will lead them to the playoffs. Would the front office back McDaniels if he wanted Vick and what would the front office think if McDaniels brought it to their attention. It's one of those decisions that could make or break McDaniel's career.

LizardState
07-28-2009, 10:22 AM
Maybe they should sign him & put his jersey no. & mug shot next to Maurice Clarett.....

Dam8610
07-28-2009, 10:36 AM
Vick doesn't fit the offense McDaniels wants to run at all. McDaniels needs a pocket passer who can be accurate and occasionally throw a deep ball. Orton fits that bill much more than Vick.

Xonraider
07-28-2009, 10:56 AM
Broncos will go 10-6 this year and win the AFC West

Maybe in Madden

Brothgar
07-28-2009, 10:58 AM
Vick doesn't fit the offense McDaniels wants to run at all. McDaniels needs a pocket passer who can be accurate and occasionally throw a deep ball. Orton fits that bill much more than Vick.

Took the words out of my mouth. If he came cheap enough I'd give it a shot but Vick doesn't really fit McDaniel's scheme assuming that he uses the same scheme he used in NE. He's not really that good of a passer.

07-28-2009, 11:33 AM

Not particularly referring to Vick throwing the ball. Playing in McDaniels’ version of the spread would give Vick multiple lanes to run the ball, if need be, as he continues to reacclimate himself as a passer. Let’s face it, at this stage in his career after such a long hiatus I’m not sure any team is going to pursue him for anything more than his athletic ability, and versatility on offense. Vick would probably be designated specific packages anyways to fit his distinct skill set. It would not be a terrible idea to team him with a player like Orton to give this offense another dynamic.

CC.SD
07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Not only is this a terrible, delusional idea, but I think despite protest it definitely belongs in the Bronco forum.

tjsunstein
07-28-2009, 11:56 AM
He's the last distraction that team needs.

Todd Bertuzzi
07-28-2009, 11:59 AM
The call McDaniels can make to turn this all around is one to the FO announcing his resignation.

Brothgar
07-28-2009, 12:01 PM
This is off topic but I think it would be funny if Vick signed with the Browns.

Bucs_Rule
07-28-2009, 12:14 PM
Took the words out of my mouth. If he came cheap enough I'd give it a shot but Vick doesn't really fit McDaniel's scheme assuming that he uses the same scheme he used in NE. He's not really that good of a passer.

He'd better use that scheme. It was the justification for trying to trade for Cassell.

D-Unit
07-28-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't think the Broncos go after Vick at all. They'll be drafting their spread offense QB next year in Bradford or McCoy.

CC.SD
07-28-2009, 12:31 PM
I don't think the Broncos go after Vick at all. They'll be drafting their spread offense QB next year in Bradford or McCoy.

Do you think McCoy drops to the late first, D? Don't forget they don't have their own first next year.

edited to include Bear neccessities.

Malaka
07-28-2009, 12:41 PM
Do you think McCoy drops to the late first, D? Don't forget they don't have their own first next year.

McCoy won't be anywhere near the first round late 2nd/early 3rd he's got nothing other than stats and intangibles that make him an NFL QB, I'd actually prefer Tebow over him, but I am probably the minority there, though I do no McCoy is not a 1st rounder

wicket
07-28-2009, 05:10 PM
brandon marshall and michael vick just shouldnt be together in one team

trkaline
07-28-2009, 05:17 PM
I've been telling people that's where he gonna land for awhile now. As a QB he's a meh, but as a weapon he is a wow! Now the Vikings may be in the mix as well.

BlindSite
07-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Vikings I can understand Vick spent a while in the WCO and it's a decent support act around him.

Brent
07-28-2009, 06:41 PM
Vikings I can understand Vick spent a while in the WCO and it's a decent support act around him.
but he sucked as a passer in the WCO. his best years were with Reeves in the Play-Action based system he ran.

vikes_28
07-28-2009, 07:15 PM
Like I said before, I think Vick would be better suited for New England.

07-28-2009, 07:26 PM

Nice pun.

**** Alphonso Smith.

the decider13
07-28-2009, 10:00 PM
I couldn't disagree with this more...Vick is not a fit in to the Broncos at all. Orton is a fine fit, I can't imagine Vick even being an option. Not a very Bellicheckian style of player.

Staubach12
07-28-2009, 11:28 PM
I think he should. Mike Vick deserves another chance, and he's going to be a good player, mark my words. Put me in your sig if you want. McDaniels has a crappy team and the only buzz is about how astronomically mismanaged his team is. He needs some positive buzz and Mike Vick will be better than the talk out there now. Plus, Vick is going to be THE MOST MOTIVATED player in the league. He has another chance to be a great NFL QB and I'd be shocked if he screws it up. This is not a Pacman situation. He is not going to be a problem. You have the chance to sign perhaps the player with the most potential in the NFL. If I were McDaniels, I would make that call ASAP.

07-28-2009, 11:34 PM
22J7X2vdjIE

Seriously though, Vick would have been sick under Shanahan.

Brent
07-29-2009, 12:51 AM
haha, nice one Chris