PDA

View Full Version : R.I.P Jim Johnson

T-RICH49
07-28-2009, 04:56 PM
just broke on NFLN he passed away. :(

Giantsfan1080
07-28-2009, 04:57 PM
One of the best defensive minds ever. RIP Jim Johnson.

BmoreBlackByrdz
07-28-2009, 04:57 PM
Just saw it on NFLN as well. What a loss, he was an amazing coordinator and my condolences go out to the Johnson family. Terrible news.

WMD
07-28-2009, 05:00 PM
Damn. RIP.

Go_Eagles77
07-28-2009, 05:01 PM
Was just about to post this, here's a link: http://csnphilly.com/pages/landing_09?Breaking-News-Eagles-coach-Jim-Johnson-p=1&blockID=66170&feedID=706

This is probably the saddest death of the year for me, I'm gonna miss seeing his face on the sideline during eagles games. R.I.P.

fondoffilm
07-28-2009, 05:02 PM
Sad, sad news. May he RIP.

Geo
07-28-2009, 05:04 PM
Wow, sad.

What an exceptional defensive coordinator.

DLionALL
07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Wow, this sucks. RIP Jim Johnson. Sad to see him go.

LonghornsLegend
07-28-2009, 05:05 PM
I just read some news that he was fighting for his life, didn't think this would happen so soon.

RIP, sad to hear.

TACKLE
07-28-2009, 05:06 PM
RIP Jim Johnson. This is very sad to here. One of the great defensive minds in the history of the league.

TitleTown088
07-28-2009, 05:06 PM
Jim Johnson just got Farrah Fawcett-ed.

RIP.

703SKINS202
07-28-2009, 05:12 PM
A defensive genius who always had his guys ready to play. I always knew he was going to bring it against the Skins. RIP.

JRTPlaya21
07-28-2009, 05:19 PM
R.I.P. You will be missed greatly. Didn't see a mention of it on ESPN's site. How sad.

Todd Bertuzzi
07-28-2009, 05:19 PM
RIP terrible loss for the Eagles and also for football.

tjsunstein
07-28-2009, 05:24 PM
RIP. He was a great mind in the game.

Turtlepower
07-28-2009, 05:38 PM
Even as a Giants fan, you had to respect someone as good as Jim Johnson. Arguably the greatest defensive mind of the past 15 years. RIP.

Gay Ork Wang
07-28-2009, 05:41 PM
Holy crap, i loved seeing his defense play. A great great mind

Don Vito
07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
Wow that is terrible RIP.

ChezPower4
07-28-2009, 05:42 PM
This is terrible news, a great defensive mind and a coach I thought very highly of. Sad to see him go. RIP

The Dynasty
07-28-2009, 05:47 PM
Sad news. He was one of the best Defensive Coordinators. His blitz schemes where just great. RIP.

MidwayMonster31
07-28-2009, 05:49 PM
Johnson knew how to design and use well placed blitzes. He was one of the great defensive coordinators in the league. RIP Jim Johnson.

eaglesalltheway
07-28-2009, 06:05 PM
I am choked up about this. I was at Eagles training camp today, and one of the staff members had told me he was there inside the campus. I went from thinking he was in good condition to finding out about his death in a matter of 4 hours. So to an extent, it is a bit of an emotional roller coaster for me, and I hate using words like that, but I can't describe it any other way right now.

Not only was this man a great coach, but looking at all the coaches around the league that have come from under him, as well as all the players that have been so deeply touched, this is not only a brilliant football mind, but a person who was well loved by everyone around him. He may have been known for his expressionless look on the sideline, but especially now, we are finding out about how this man has touched so many people's lives.

I didn't realize it while I was at training camp, but Andy Reid, and presumably the rest of the team found out during the afternoon practice. The guys came out in a mood that I would say is uncharacteristicly relaxed, with lots of joking and laid back. Usually the team will have a few players walking around talking to fans after practice is over. That was not the case today, they brought it in, but their hands together, and we didn't hear a thing, there was no loud chant of "hard work" or anything like that. The team came together and then went back to the locker room. I thought nothing of it at the time, but I can only assume what they were talking about had something to do with Jim's passing. This is one of my saddest days as an Eagles fan, and I will truly miss him, as I'm sure many others will as well.

YoJoeBucsFan
07-28-2009, 06:15 PM
R.I.P. Coach Johnson. You kept my Bucs outta the superbowl more than once.

Nalej
07-28-2009, 06:21 PM
Wow. RIP. He was one of the best ever.

bigbluedefense
07-28-2009, 06:22 PM
One of the most brilliant defensive minds the game has ever seen. RIP.

The NFL is not better without him.

Coordinators seriously need to get HOF consideration.

DoughBoy
07-28-2009, 06:25 PM
Wow, R.I.P Jim one of the greatest defensive minds ever.

Paul
07-28-2009, 06:32 PM
RIP Jim. One of the best, if not the best, defensive minds of the past decade.

JT Jag
07-28-2009, 06:57 PM
Wow, RIP. Sorta sudden... I know he was dealing with cancer, but it sounded like he was taking personal time to fight.

vikes_28
07-28-2009, 06:59 PM
This is sad. Why is everybody dying?

Sniper
07-28-2009, 07:04 PM
You've gotta ******* be ******** me.

vidae
07-28-2009, 07:20 PM
Wow. I knew he was sick but I hadn't heard anything about it in a while. I had no idea it was this bad.

RIP Jim. One of the greatest in NFL history.

Sniper
07-28-2009, 07:22 PM
Best 4-3 coordinator ever?

Cicero
07-28-2009, 07:25 PM
Sad to see him go. Rest in peace.

diabsoule
07-28-2009, 07:27 PM
A tremendous defensive coordinator. A great competitor and coach. I'm going to miss seeing him on the sidelines when the Saints or Steelers played against him. I loved his defenses. My condolences to the Johnson family.

NIN1984
07-28-2009, 07:48 PM
I loved his aggressive style, that's my kind of coach.

RIP Jim Johnson

you will be missed.

T-RICH49
07-28-2009, 07:55 PM
Best 4-3 coordinator ever?

not just a 4-3 but best DC overall in my mind.if he had to deal with injuries to key players he was able to make the backups excel in his system and that's the sign of a great DC IMO

E-Man
07-28-2009, 08:11 PM
Damn, this is sad to hear.

Sniper
07-28-2009, 08:21 PM
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/index.asp?mm_file_id=7375&play_clip=Y

ChezPower4
07-28-2009, 08:29 PM
The Eagles defense is going to be playing very inspired this season and TBH that is a pretty scary thought.

BoneKrusher
07-28-2009, 08:33 PM
wow... sad news indeed.

RIP

Sniper
07-28-2009, 08:35 PM
The Eagles defense is going to be playing very inspired this season and TBH that is a pretty scary thought.

You're all ****** now.

B-Dawk
07-28-2009, 08:46 PM
wow this is terrible

diabsoule
07-28-2009, 09:05 PM

Not only that but Sean McDermott, one of my favorite young assistant coaches, has taken over as DC. Philadelphia's is going to be hard to handle. I'm sure Brian Dawkins wish he wouldn't have left now.

Thumper
07-28-2009, 09:08 PM
Well this is quite shocking news. The NFL is worsened today, as they have lost one of the greatest defensive minds the game has ever seen. Jim Johnson personified Philadelphia with his mean and aggressive defenses, and he terrorized opposing quarterbacks for a decade. Jim Johnson, you're gone but not forgotten, though you're no longer here in body your spirit and ideals lives on in those you taught. You were more than an amazing coach, you were a teacher, Jim Johnson taught each and everyone of his players and coaches individually. Jim has had a profound impact on the NFL, just look at his coaching tree, he has taught Steve Spagnuolo, Ron Rivera, Leslie Frazier and John Harbaugh.

Harbuagh said this of Jim Johnson's passing: "I loved Jim Johnson. This is a sad day for so many people who were touched by this great man. Ingrid and I, the Harbaugh family, and the Ravens have Jim’s wife, Vicky, and the Johnson family in our thoughts and prayers. Jim was a tremendous teacher of football and life. He had a special ability to bring out the best in people while getting you to see the best in yourself. He saw potential and developed it. He made me believe I could coach at this level. In football, he was a pioneering and brilliant strategist, changing the way defense is played in the NFL. For me, he was a father-type mentor, and above all, a cherished friend. He belongs in the Hall of Fame. I will miss him so much."

That only goes to show you the type of person Jim Johnson was, he was more than just a coach.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/index.asp?mm_file_id=7375&play_clip=Y

May Jim Johnson rest in peace.

Not only that but Sean McDermott, one of my favorite young assistant coaches, has taken over as DC. Philadelphia's is going to be hard to handle. I'm sure Brian Dawkins wish he wouldn't have left now.

This makes me wish Dawkins was still in Philly, could you imagine a Dawkins inspired by the death of a coach that he played 10 years for? He would come out with a reckless abandon, take no prisoners approach that would rub off on the defense. If only...

LonghornsLegend
07-28-2009, 09:42 PM
I know this is a bit off topic, and I don't wanna get this headed in another direction but does any Eagles fan, or anyone else know much about Sean McDermott?

Is he a JJ disciple? Will he basically be picking up and running with the same scheme that he learned from him, I imagine they were somewhat anticipating not having him around, but I don't know much about this guy.

Thumper
07-28-2009, 10:00 PM
I know this is a bit off topic, and I don't wanna get this headed in another direction but does any Eagles fan, or anyone else know much about Sean McDermott?

Is he a JJ disciple? Will he basically be picking up and running with the same scheme that he learned from him, I imagine they were somewhat anticipating not having him around, but I don't know much about this guy.

McDermott has worked under Jim Johnson for nearly a decade and knows the system, he is very well spoken and intelligent, he is very young and brings a youthful enthusiasm that Jim Johnson (RIP) lacked, he has stated that JJ taught him one thing "blitz and blitz again" and he is bringing new folds to the system. Should be fun to watch. He has coached both the secondary and the linebackers in the past. Very young at 35 and he has learned a ton from Jim Johnson and he stresses the importance of blitzing and teaching each player individually.

Here are some quotes from Sean:
http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/Story.asp?story_id=18025

On coaching training camp practices when a limited number of players are present: "That's the best teaching opportunities that you can have as a teacher -- a limited classroom and an opportunity to get one on one with the players. That's what these first three and four days are all about right here."

On whether he finds himself thinking about what former defensive coordinator Jim Johnson would do at this camp and whether he feels Johnson's presence at camp: "Not so much 'what would Jim do here' I ran through those situations already in my mind and if I hadn't by now it would have been a big mistake. But more so, missing him coming out of the locker room, missing him in the meetings this morning, just his presence. He had a way about him that you loved just being around the guy. Our offices were next to each other for a number of years and so, you miss that."

On whether his brother was accurate in describing a hallmark of McDermott's defense as being "nasty": "Yeah, we used to beat up on each other growing up and so nasty was a part of the family. And that's how this city is. It's a blue-collar town. The fans of this city love the great defenses and part of what comes with the great defenses is a toughness and a nastiness. So, that will be a part of it."

This guy right now can do no wrong and with the track record of former Jim Johnson disciples I have the upmost confidence in him.

Ward
07-28-2009, 11:05 PM
I'll echo BBD's sentiments that coordinators do in fact belong in the Hall, and I'll add that we should start with Jim Johnson. If the point of the Hall is preserve the most important figures in NFL history, we're leaving out a lot of brilliant names because they had marginal or no success as head coaches.

diabsoule
07-28-2009, 11:08 PM
McDermott has worked under Jim Johnson for nearly a decade and knows the system, he is very well spoken and intelligent, he is very young and brings a youthful enthusiasm that Jim Johnson (RIP) lacked, he has stated that JJ taught him one thing "blitz and blitz again" and he is bringing new folds to the system. Should be fun to watch. He has coached both the secondary and the linebackers in the past. Very young at 35 and he has learned a ton from Jim Johnson and he stresses the importance of blitzing and teaching each player individually.

He reminds me of a younger Spagnuolo but with a better understanding of coverage schemes. A Jim Johnson disciple that has learned the nuances of his blitz heavy scheme. He has risen through the rank on the Philly coaching staff since 1998. Andy Reid has commented on how integral he is to the Eagles scouting their opponents and he is a natural at breaking down film.

Hurricanes25
07-28-2009, 11:41 PM
RIP Jim Johnson

Vikes99ej
07-29-2009, 12:57 AM
Cancer is a terrible, terrible disease. Rest in Peace.

rockio42
07-29-2009, 01:19 AM
NOOOOO!!!!...man this sucks, Jim Johnson was THE **** as a DC and will be greatly missed...Rest In Peace Jim Johnson, you will be missed

Saints 4 Lyfe
07-29-2009, 01:24 AM
one of the greatest defensive minds ever. rip.

General Zod
07-29-2009, 01:49 AM
RIP Jim Johnson

Seamus2602
07-29-2009, 04:03 AM
Very few people have changed the NFL like Jim Johnson has. I can't think of a more poignant a time for the Pro Football Hall of Fame to end their policy of not selecting Co-ordinators to the Hall of Fame.

Gay Ork Wang
07-29-2009, 06:34 AM
Dick LeBeau, Monte Kiffin and Jim Johnson are the three defensive minds of this era and all of them revolutionized defensive schemes

no bare feet
07-29-2009, 06:54 AM
This is sad news. One of the greatest defensive schemers of our time. During his tenure the Eagles were 2nd in the NFL in sacks. RIP JJ.

NY+Giants=NYG
07-29-2009, 07:09 AM
He will be missed! One of the 3 legend DC in the NFL. Jim J, Monte Kiffin, and Dick LeBeau are all the best and legends in my opinion. Now it would seem the only person left in the NFL is LeBeau. But Jim Johnson is one of the best DCs I had the honor of watching! Great system, and great, great coach! He will be missed!

Go_Eagles77
07-29-2009, 09:46 AM
Not that it's a surprise, but it kinda makes me sick how much NFL Network and ESPN are covering the Brett Favre situation compared to JJ's death. They were having phone calls with Vikings players asking them about not getting Brett Favre but they don't have any phone calls with anybody or even a decent segment to honor Jim Johnson.

Xonraider
07-29-2009, 09:49 AM
RIP JJ, a great coordinator, great defensive mind.

This is sad news. One of the greatest defensive schemers of our time. During his tenure the Eagles were 2nd in the NFL in sacks. RIP JJ.

Who was first?

no bare feet
07-29-2009, 09:54 AM
RIP JJ, a great coordinator, great defensive mind.

Who was first?

I would guess the Steelers or Ravens.

eaglesalltheway
07-29-2009, 10:11 AM
Not that it's a surprise, but it kinda makes me sick how much NFL Network and ESPN are covering the Brett Favre situation compared to JJ's death. They were having phone calls with Vikings players asking them about not getting Brett Favre but they don't have any phone calls with anybody or even a decent segment to honor Jim Johnson.

Its kind of expected, but they did have a call with one fo the radio guys about it on ESPNews last night that I saw, but that really is it...

Brothgar
07-29-2009, 10:23 AM
One of the most brilliant defensive minds the game has ever seen. RIP.

The NFL is not better without him.

Coordinators seriously need to get HOF consideration.

Quoted for truth. I would say that Johnson had more respect from me than any other DC and many head coaches.

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/j_johnson_eagles_D_cordinator_IA.jpg

RIP buddy RIP

NY+Giants=NYG
07-29-2009, 11:08 AM

You're not the first one to talk about that. Someone on our giants MB, BBI, had a thread started with the same topic. You would assume the BF lovefest would be done since he retired already, but Jim J is a legend! They should cover him!

2 Live Crew
07-29-2009, 11:20 AM
As a skins fan I have so much respect for this guy, I've always thought he was the best DC in the NFL. One of the all time great defensive coaches if you ask me.

RIP

FinChase
07-29-2009, 01:30 PM
I absolutely hated playing against him but that was because he was one of the best at his job. RIP, Jim Johnson.

flave1969
07-29-2009, 01:46 PM
I like most Skins fans hated facing this guy twice a year because he was so darn good. Putting all emnity aside today we sit with you in sorrow at the passing of a truly great coach.

My condolences to his family. RIP Jim Johnson you will be sorely missed.

MidwayMonster31
07-29-2009, 07:59 PM
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_2756_A_Troll_remembers_Jim_Johnson.html
Decent tribute to Johnson. He did lead a great defense for a long time and has a good list of proteges.

Go_Eagles77
07-29-2009, 09:04 PM
Some nice youtube tributes, brought tears to my eyes. (First one is from philadelplhiaeagles.com and is narrated by eagles play by play guy Merrill Reese and the second is the same vid but with music playing)

k6njmmxTZRY

xOZdERC747A

touchdownrams
07-30-2009, 11:28 AM
As a fan of football it's sad to see JJ's passing. I was always jealous of the Eagles defensive play..he was one of the best defensive minds probably ever. I hope Spags brings what his mentor taught him to the Rams. RIP Jimmy, you fought the good fight!