PDA

View Full Version : What to do with Derrick Mason after this season ??

ChefMike
03-09-2007, 12:35 PM
Mason has helped to bring our passing game back but we have to think, is he someone that we should keep long term with Clayton and Williams coming into their own ? He is a great possesion reciever but an aging, expensive, possesion reciever is something we can't hold on to long term. Do we release him after next season or just restructure him ? Look at Joe Horn... he is similar in situation to Mason production is dropping and he is getting older and more expensive.

go_ravens94
03-09-2007, 12:38 PM
Mason has helped to bring our passing game back but we have to think, is he someone that we should keep long term with Clayton and Williams coming into their own ? He is a great possesion reciever but an aging, expensive, possesion reciever is something we can't hold on to long term. Do we release him after next season or just restructure him ? Look at Joe Horn... he is similar in situation to Mason production is dropping and he is getting older and more expensive.

Good question, Chef.

Mason is a good player, we restructure,

mikedoobie
03-09-2007, 01:00 PM
it will all depend on how mason reacts to what the front office will want to do which will obviously be restructure and give him less, if he feels its a better move for him as he has a shot at the SB then he will prolly restructure but im not sure that will be the case as at the end of last season he was disgruntled with how little balls he was getting and not being utilized when he thinks he has the talent to, i expect him to be cut but you have to look at his contract and check if its even worth cutting him or will there be a huge cap hit..but IMO i dont see him back with Williams emerging this year *crosses fingers**

BigDawg819
03-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Derrick Mason is still a valuable asset to this team and only time will tell what is role will be past this year. It looks as though Darling and Moore will be back and who knows who will be available in the late rounds and as free agents from the draft. As of right now Mason is still a top guy in this organization and rightfully so, he has proven himself over and over again. I think any decision about him won't come until after this season and I expect him to have another solid year and should stick around as a mentor and leader to these young receivers.

niel89
03-11-2007, 11:23 PM
i think that he will hang around and restructure.

all this wont matter after moore breaks out. he will be the #1 reciever and all others will be inferior

ccB
03-12-2007, 07:43 AM
I think hes gone after next year. Thats why I was an advocate of selecting either Jarrett, Meachem, or Ginn Jr in this draft. We could solidify one of the best young WR Trios in the league.

toonsterwu
03-12-2007, 08:05 AM
There's enough depth in this draft to allow for you guys, IMO, to draft a WR later on as a number 3 to pair with Demetrius and Mark. That being said, if there's an overwhelming value in Ozzie's opinion at 29, then yeah, it makes a lot of sense. As for Mason, I'd look for his role to be slowly taken over by Demetrius this year, and then he'd be let go this offseason.

jkpigskin
03-12-2007, 09:39 AM
There's enough depth in this draft to allow for you guys, IMO, to draft a WR later on as a number 3 to pair with Demetrius and Mark. That being said, if there's an overwhelming value in Ozzie's opinion at 29, then yeah, it makes a lot of sense. As for Mason, I'd look for his role to be slowly taken over by Demetrius this year, and then he'd be let go this offseason.

totally agree

IMO mason will either have to restructure next year or be let go... but before that happens i want to see williams become a better route runner, so we know for a fact that he can start