PDA

View Full Version : Just a Thought: College All-Star Game revival?

Zycho32
08-03-2009, 10:24 PM
For the record, I am perfectly sure nobody in the NFL or NCAA is even CONSIDERING the following, but let's run with this for a while.

Suppose it was decided to take the College All-Star Game, a relic of a contest that was discontinued over thirty years ago when the NFL Champs kept destroying the Amatuers, and revive it. Here's now I would go about it.

Change the competition. Instead of the NFL sending its defending champion during the preseason, they send their worst team in the week before the Superbowl as a publicity 'Salvage Your Pride/Prove Your Worth sort of spectacle.

If this came to be last year, you would have seen the All-Stars fight to avoid the indignity of losing to the 'Unwinnable' Detroit Lions at whatever venue would be chosen for the event.

And what if they decided to implement it this year? Who do you think would be chosen for the All-Stars? Could they put up a fight against a disorganized squad of professionals?

What would the uniforms for the All-Stars be like after all this time?

jth1331
08-03-2009, 10:41 PM
No offense, but this is a dumb idea simply because there is no point to it. Why have the game, the NFL players wouldn't really care at all, and the College All Stars team will probably be playing to not get hurt to salvage their NFL careers.

superman8456
08-03-2009, 10:42 PM
Its a good idea in theory, but the jump from college to the NFL is just so great. I know that these are the best in college football, but still. Also, a lot of the All-Stars would probably opt out thinking it would affect their draft status. NFL's worst teams would still run over a college All Star team.

Bengalsrocket
08-03-2009, 11:34 PM
What does the NFL gain from it? If your franchise wins, you beat a college team - so what? And if your franchises loses, then you're a joke.

Bad idea for the NFL teams. I doubt they make a whole lot of profit off it either.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf)
08-03-2009, 11:42 PM
Lions win.

GB12
08-03-2009, 11:56 PM
Lions win.
I wanted to say that the Lions would easily win, but if you take a look an offense of:

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Chris Johnson/Jonathan Stewart
FB: Peyton Hillis
WR: Eddie Royal/Donnie Avery
WR: Desean Jackson/Jordy Nelson
TE: John Carlson/Dustin Keller
LT: Ryan Clady
LG: Branden Albert
C: Jeremy Zuttah
RG: Jeff Otah
RT: Jake Long

would probably torch the Lions defense. The Lions would get no pass rush, Johnson and Stewart would run all over them, and Matt Ryan should be able to light up the Lions poor secondary with some good weapons.

I believe the best college team would always lose to the worst NFL team, but if you do an allstar team against the worst NFL team they'd stand a chance.

Vox Populi
08-04-2009, 12:30 AM
Pretty sure that McFadden would be there over Chris Johnson, but whatever. That team would still get spanked by the Lions. That team would have what, a week or two of practicing together? No NFL playing experience, whatever. Its just a coincidence all those guys turned in solid rookie seasons.

Paranoidmoonduck
08-04-2009, 12:38 AM
I wanted to say that the Lions would easily win, but if you take a look an offense of:

QB: Matt Ryan
RB: Chris Johnson/Jonathan Stewart
FB: Peyton Hillis
WR: Eddie Royal/Donnie Avery
WR: Desean Jackson/Jordy Nelson
TE: John Carlson/Dustin Keller
LT: Ryan Clady
LG: Branden Albert
C: Jeremy Zuttah
RG: Jeff Otah
RT: Jake Long

would probably torch the Lions defense. The Lions would get no pass rush, Johnson and Stewart would run all over them, and Matt Ryan should be able to light up the Lions poor secondary with some good weapons.

I believe the best college team would always lose to the worst NFL team, but if you do an allstar team against the worst NFL team they'd stand a chance.

There's isn't a chance in hell that team wins. Any college offense pieced together that fast wouldn't keep the Lions guessing for more than 2 or 3 drives. They would get creamed.

MetSox17
08-04-2009, 01:39 AM
There's isn't a chance in hell that team wins. Any college offense pieced together that fast wouldn't keep the Lions guessing for more than 2 or 3 drives. They would get creamed.

This, and
Pretty sure that McFadden would be there over Chris Johnson, but whatever. That team would still get spanked by the Lions. That team would have what, a week or two of practicing together? No NFL playing experience, whatever. Its just a coincidence all those guys turned in solid rookie seasons.
This.

There's no other way around it. The College All Stars would get **** on by the Lions, or any other team in the NFL. Calvin Johnson wrecks ass against NFL double teams. He'd embarrass any college player out there they could put on him.

awfullyquiet
08-04-2009, 11:40 AM

football is more than having the right players.

its perfect execution of scheme.

TACKLE
08-04-2009, 01:22 PM
I don't know if everybody knows this but they did this from 1935 to 1977. The record was 31-9-2 for the pros.