PDA

View Full Version : The New Vikings and the questions facing the team.

Ozzy
08-04-2009, 12:02 PM
A few of the main question marks for the team this year.

*Who will replace Birk? Can Cook play center or not?

*Who will play the other safety position opposite Williams. Can Tyrell Johnson make plays?

Starting offensive line potentially:
McKinnie, Herrera, Cook, Hutchinson, Loadholt

Backups
Hicks, Kemp, Radovich

Ideally I hope Cook can still play center, that would be the best way because I flat out do not trust guys like Jon Cooper or John Sullivan. Sure they could maybe be plays but there is a reason they were not drafted.

A few of the new players and how they could potentially fill in.

Jasper Brinkley- would be an upgrade at backup ILB, should make the roster.

Percy Harvin- Obvious weapon and in a way his play making ability is more important than the success of our quarterbacks. Because if he is that great of a playmaker, the quarterback situation will not be as important.

Ian Johnson- A nice change of pace back, runs hard, shifty and can catch out of the backfield, is ahead of Albert Young at this point I would assume.

Termaine Johnson- Could make the team as a backup DT, did not play much at LSU but was a real player last year and could be more productive than some of the current backup DTs for the team.

Phil Loadholt- Should start, would really help the offensive line.

Karl Paymah- A really nice addition, especially since we cut Gordon, good experienced corner and is an improvement over the likes of McCauley.

Sage Rosenfels- Should be just fine, if Gus was successful, Sage can be as well, he is athletic, stands in the pocket and has experience.

Jamarca Sanford- Real sleeper, with the Vikings weak safeties he should be able to make the team. Tough hitter, if he can also cover in the passing game he could see action fast. However did play some LB at Ole Miss so clearly not the best in pass coverage.

Andy Kemp- Could be a fine backup that they need at guard.

Asher Allen- Should easily make the roster with Gordon being cut, good solid cover man.

Glenn Holt- I wish he would an exciting player, but I would be surprised if he is that productive with the team.

Other notable Vikings that could really help out this season.
Eric Frampton- I like him as a safety, big hitter, hopefully he improved and can make the roster as a backup.

Jimmy Kennedy- did not make many plays but is a nice experienced backup if anything happens to the Pat or Kevin Williams.

Darius Reynaud- is a very interesting player, good strong receiver who is hard to tackle.

It is too bad Udeze could not make his return, he would have been a fine backup for the defensive line.

marshallb
08-04-2009, 01:51 PM
A few of the main question marks for the team this year.

Sullivan will be the starting C. He has been working with the first team the whole time. Cook had been working with the 3rd team at C.

*Who will play the other safety position opposite Williams. Can Tyrell Johnson make plays?

Johnson will be the other starting safety. There is really no one else who would, and I think he can make plays.

Starting offensive line potentially:
McKinnie, Herrera, Cook, Hutchinson, Loadholt

Backups
Hicks, Kemp, Radovich

Ideally I hope Cook can still play center, that would be the best way because I flat out do not trust guys like Jon Cooper or John Sullivan. Sure they could maybe be plays but there is a reason they were not drafted.

Again, it'll be Sullivan and he was drafted in the 6th round.

A few of the new players and how they could potentially fill in.

Jasper Brinkley- would be an upgrade at backup ILB, should make the roster.

He obviously should make the roster, and has been looking good in camp, could be a good ST.

Percy Harvin- Obvious weapon and in a way his play making ability is more important than the success of our quarterbacks. Because if he is that great of a playmaker, the quarterback situation will not be as important.

Ian Johnson- A nice change of pace back, runs hard, shifty and can catch out of the backfield, is ahead of Albert Young at this point I would assume.

I think he will make the roster as the 3rd RB, and could be a good ST.

Termaine Johnson- Could make the team as a backup DT, did not play much at LSU but was a real player last year and could be more productive than some of the current backup DTs for the team.

I don't think he'll make the team.

Phil Loadholt- Should start, would really help the offensive line.

He should really help out as he will be a huge improvement over Cook.

Karl Paymah- A really nice addition, especially since we cut Gordon, good experienced corner and is an improvement over the likes of McCauley.

I don't know about him. I think he will be a good ST, but I'm not sure if he will be the nickel back with some of the other CBs have a good camp.

Sage Rosenfels- Should be just fine, if Gus was successful, Sage can be as well, he is athletic, stands in the pocket and has experience.

He has been doing better, but I don't think he will beat out Jackson.

Jamarca Sanford- Real sleeper, with the Vikings weak safeties he should be able to make the team. Tough hitter, if he can also cover in the passing game he could see action fast. However did play some LB at Ole Miss so clearly not the best in pass coverage.

I think he will be on the practice squad.

Andy Kemp- Could be a fine backup that they need at guard.

Practice squad as well or cut.

Asher Allen- Should easily make the roster with Gordon being cut, good solid cover man.

He will def. make the roster. He has been making some plays, and could even be the nickel back if he keeps improving.

Glenn Holt- I wish he would an exciting player, but I would be surprised if he is that productive with the team.

I have a feeling that he will get cut.

Other notable Vikings that could really help out this season.
Eric Frampton- I like him as a safety, big hitter, hopefully he improved and can make the roster as a backup.

I would think he will be a backup at S.

Jimmy Kennedy- did not make many plays but is a nice experienced backup if anything happens to the Pat or Kevin Williams.

Another backup.

Darius Reynaud- is a very interesting player, good strong receiver who is hard to tackle.

I think he will make the roster, but I think he will be one of the last guys to make it.

It is too bad Udeze could not make his return, he would have been a fine backup for the defensive line.

Watch out for Jaymar Johnson. He is a 2nd year WR, and has been having one hell of a camp and offseason. He is reportedly as quick as Harvin in some drills. It sounds like he is ahead of Reynaud at this point, and with Allison being cut, I think he should make the team unless he gets injured.

Responses in bold.

General Zod
08-04-2009, 02:04 PM

I think we will be fine with Sullivan at center. I think he was a very good player on a bad Notre dame team is why he fell so far in the draft.
(He did in fact get drafted 6th round btw.)

I think that Ryan Cook is no better then a back up.

General Zod
08-04-2009, 02:09 PM

I think Asher Allen might be our nickel CB at the start of the season, I hear he has been impressive at camp.

Ozzy
08-04-2009, 02:16 PM
So Sullivan is the starter huh? And sorry I must have forgot he was drafted. Still the guy does not wow me and never did in college. We are replacing a Pro Bowl center, there is no way Sullivan goes in and we are just good to go, the kid is no where close to Birk.

Thus Cook he at least has NFL experience. Sure he did not do all that great at tackle, but he still has ability and did play center in college. That is why they picked Cook to start with, a potential starting center when Birk leaves.

He is playing that bad? Guess it would not take long to find out, still think Sullivan might not be as good as most think. And still say Cook, even average is better than Sullivan potentially as a starting center next year.

As for Tyrell, I still have very little faith in him as a playmaker, he made very few impact plays last season. Did not play the ball well in the air at all and made few if any big hits. Sure maybe he will improve but if he is not really good they will have problems on defense.

I say Jackson is the starter, he played better after injury last year and gives the team a bigger threat at QB. However I still say if Harvin is a huge offensive weapon, who plays quarterback will mean very little because the offense will be successful with three legit receiving weapons at WR and TE.

The_Dude
08-04-2009, 02:24 PM
I think that Tyrell will be fine. Rookies usually don't make impact plays as it is. Patience....

yo123
08-04-2009, 03:08 PM
Ryan Cook has already proven to not be a starting NFL caliber lineman. I'm not sure why we wouldn't give the young guy a chance.

Ozzy
08-04-2009, 03:30 PM
Sure give Sullivan a chance but this center question mark could have just as big of an impact on the team as who the starting quarterback is.

yo123
08-04-2009, 04:09 PM
Sure give Sullivan a chance but this center question mark could have just as big of an impact on the team as who the starting quarterback is.

No not at all. Quarterback is the most important position on the field by far. Center...well, isn't.

Ozzy
08-04-2009, 05:49 PM
No not at all. Quarterback is the most important position on the field by far. Center...well, isn't.In reality, that is correct, but for this team I am pretty sure of what to expect out of Jackson and or Rosenfels. What to expect out of Sullivan and or Cook, that is very up in the air at the moment. And based on the fact we are a running football team, the fact we are losing a pro bowl center, that is quite a big deal.

General Zod
08-04-2009, 07:02 PM
Thus Cook he at least has NFL experience. Sure he did not do all that great at tackle, but he still has ability and did play center in college.

So your saying we should start Ryan Cook at center this season?

Dr. Gonzo
08-05-2009, 02:55 AM
Matt Birk isn't that great anymore. He is an slightly above average Center at best at this point.

Ozzy
08-05-2009, 07:06 AM
Matt Birk isn't that great anymore. He is an slightly above average Center at best at this point.Matt Birk was a Pro Bowl center in 2007, that was not that long ago. Ryan Cook should get a chance at center, clearly if it does not go well forget it, but Sullivan will have his growing pains as well at that position. Now if we had a guy like Mack, Wood, Unger or Caldwell I would not be as concerned even though they were rookies, but again we are talking John Sullivan. Good, not great and he has to replace great.

yo123
08-05-2009, 04:41 PM
I don't understand this at all. It's not like a 6th rounder has never succeeded at center. In case you forgot, Birk was a 6th rounder.

Ryan Cook is abysmal. He was horrible at RT and would be horrible at C. Sullivan is a young guy and while you don't know what you're getting with him you won't know unless you give him the chance. There is no sense sending Cook in there when he has already proven that he is useless.

B-rand
08-05-2009, 11:52 PM
I think Sanford makes the roster over one of: Abdullah or Frampton. Sanford is a hitting machine back there at Safety, and a guy like that should be able to make some plays on ST, plus I believe I saw him working with the 2nd team defense at camp.

I want Brinkley to make the team over David Herron right now, but Herron was ahead of him last I saw at Camp.

Training Camp cheers for: Nehemiah Broughton!!!! get Tahi the heck out of here!

marshallb
08-06-2009, 11:02 AM
I think Sanford makes the roster over one of: Abdullah or Frampton. Sanford is a hitting machine back there at Safety, and a guy like that should be able to make some plays on ST, plus I believe I saw him working with the 2nd team defense at camp.

I want Brinkley to make the team over David Herron right now, but Herron was ahead of him last I saw at Camp.

Training Camp cheers for: Nehemiah Broughton!!!! get Tahi the heck out of here!

Brinkley should def. make the team. He's been getting great reviews from Leslie Frazier and Childress, and I'm pretty sure that there is no way they could "sneak" him onto the practice squad, which is something that they've been able to do with Herron in the past.

Ozzy
08-10-2009, 04:48 PM
Herron has Brinkley on the special teams I imagine, but yeah ultimately I am not comfortable with Herron being a starting linebacker at all. Then again Brinkley is more of a run stopper, but so was EJ Henderson coming out of college and see how he turned out.

Training Camp cheers for: Nehemiah Broughton!!!! get Tahi the heck out of here!Yeah Childress sure likes his fullbacks, should have drafted one really. Too bad Tapeh had injury issues, would have been great to have him back there being actually from the state. Broughton was on a team in the NFL last year correct?

B-rand
08-10-2009, 10:17 PM
last year he was on Washington's practice squad. He was a Redskin since 2005, and in his time has only appeared in 6 games.

vikes_28
08-11-2009, 11:48 AM
Ozzzzzy! I was waiting to to hear your mindless banter! The Vikings fanbase, coaches, and team has faith in Sullivan starting at center. Matt Birk was good for a while. But now he is just old. And offensive linemen lose it when they get above the age of 34. Sullivan is going to be a star in a year. He will be average this year, as he is learning the new speed of the game, and learning how to be a starter. Then next year, he will be a beast just like Birk was. This is the same exact thing that happened when Birk was about to replace Jeff Christy (I think...?), everyone was so down on Birk because he wasn't "good," but then he came in and destroyed defensive linemen. Talent at the center position isn't hard to come by.

I believe Tyrell Johnson is going to turn into the stud he was in college. He should be a worth replacement for Sharper.

I'm excited to see what this receiving corps is capable of. I have a good feeling about them this year.

Ozzy
08-11-2009, 12:44 PM
I believe Tyrell Johnson is going to turn into the stud he was in college. He should be a worth replacement for Sharper.Johnson is going to become a pro bowl safety? I really doubt he ever makes a pro bowl. Seriously do not see what you all see in him.

Seems to me the attitude in reply to our position question marks this year kind of like this......

Scott Evil: Wait, aren't you even going to watch them? They could get away!
Dr. Evil: No no no, I'm going to leave them alone and not actually witness them dying, I'm just gonna assume it all went to plan. What?

Just for a moment, assume it does not go to plan and Johnson/Sullivan do not become pro bowl caliber talents. Kind of an issue in my book.

General Zod
08-11-2009, 01:40 PM
Johnson is going to become a pro bowl safety? I really doubt he ever makes a pro bowl. Seriously do not see what you all see in him.

Tyrell Johnson will do just fine this year. As will Sullivan. I really do believe that Sullivan will be a pro bowl calibur center in this league over time.

marshallb
08-11-2009, 02:19 PM
Johnson is going to become a pro bowl safety? I really doubt he ever makes a pro bowl. Seriously do not see what you all see in him.

Seems to me the attitude in reply to our position question marks this year kind of like this......

Scott Evil: Wait, aren't you even going to watch them? They could get away!
Dr. Evil: No no no, I'm going to leave them alone and not actually witness them dying, I'm just gonna assume it all went to plan. What?

Just for a moment, assume it does not go to plan and Johnson/Sullivan do not become pro bowl caliber talents. Kind of an issue in my book.

You seem like the pessimists on some of the other Vikings blogs I've been reading, where they expect all of the players with some sort of question marks behind them to struggle. I think that we should have some faith in these guys and their talent. They were drafted where they were and have been placed in these positions now, because the team thinks they can succeed. At this time last year, everyone wanted Shiancoe gone, but he's turned out alright.

I'm not saying that these guys will be guaranteed pro-bowlers or anything like that, but why not give them a chance before we bash them.

B-rand
08-11-2009, 07:24 PM
Ozzy- let's put it this way.....the year Birk was out with his hernia, how good of a job did Cory Withrow do filling in? He did a good enough job, right? So if Withrow could fill in just fine, why can't Sullivan do well? Also remember, when Withrow was the center, we had neither Peterson nor Chester, we were rolling with the RB by committee approach headed my Mewelde Moore.

The main thing I hear in the papers is how Sullivan's body-type is supposed to be a hinderance to his ability to block big bodies....but this makes no sense to me. Sullivan is short and stocky (well, ok, if you can consider 6'4" to be short) but they always talk about his short legs. The only thing that says to me is that he already starts at an advantage in the leverage game, and all blocking is about leverage. I'm not calling for him to be one of the best C's in the game, i just trust him to get the job done.

Ozzy
08-11-2009, 08:02 PM
They were drafted where they were and have been placed in these positions now, because the team thinks they can succeed. At this time last year, everyone wanted Shiancoe gone, but he's turned out alright.

I'm not saying that these guys will be guaranteed pro-bowlers or anything like that, but why not give them a chance before we bash them.Ok first off who would want Shiancoe gone? Guy is a beast physically and was just a matter of time for him to produce more on the field. Secondly I do not rip all the players, a lot of guys on here just destroy Cedric Griffin, I think he is good and still do. I follow more than my fair share of college prospects, thus when we get guys that I question, I will question them until I see them produce or play well. Does not take long, and sure players can improve and everything but from what I have seen from guys like Johnson, was more than unimpressed. Then again I would want an elite safety, then again some people are more than happy with average. Guess just like last year, Williams will pick up the slack, just hope he does not get injured.

Ozzy
08-11-2009, 08:08 PM
The main thing I hear in the papers is how Sullivan's body-type is supposed to be a hinderance to his ability to block big bodies....but this makes no sense to me. Sullivan is short and stocky (well, ok, if you can consider 6'4" to be short) but they always talk about his short legs. The only thing that says to me is that he already starts at an advantage in the leverage game, and all blocking is about leverage. I'm not calling for him to be one of the best C's in the game, i just trust him to get the job done.Well at least they seem to have a plan, but there were some damn good centers in this years draft I would rather have. Let us forget about Mack, Wood or Unger, that would have obviously been awesome. They could have easily got Caldwell with trading some picks later, or even Lugis later or way late with Shipley. Nice to have a taller center that is 6-4 I must say, but still plenty of good centers in this years draft I would rather have than Sullivan.

yo123
08-11-2009, 11:31 PM
Ok first off who would want Shiancoe gone? Guy is a beast physically and was just a matter of time for him to produce more on the field. Secondly I do not rip all the players, a lot of guys on here just destroy Cedric Griffin, I think he is good and still do. I follow more than my fair share of college prospects, thus when we get guys that I question, I will question them until I see them produce or play well. Does not take long, and sure players can improve and everything but from what I have seen from guys like Johnson, was more than unimpressed. Then again I would want an elite safety, then again some people are more than happy with average. Guess just like last year, Williams will pick up the slack, just hope he does not get injured.

How is Griffin good? He's good in run support but gets toasted in coverage constantly.

vikes_28
08-12-2009, 12:30 AM
Seriously, Ozzy, you are about the only person on this forum that makes me want to break things. You argue just for the sake of arguing. And you think you are the only one that's right.

On a football note, the Vikings community has faith in Sullivan. If they didn't, then yes, they would have drafted somebody else. You're not the coach of the Vikings. You're a dumb fan who thinks they can run the Vikings organization. It's a shame that the Vikings posters have to deal with a prick like you.

Ozzy
08-12-2009, 06:54 AM
Well bubby, it is quite easy to block posters on this site and you will never even see a post of mine. If I piss you off so much, I suggest you use that.

Sorry I am a draft guy, I follow college football prospects into the NFL. Just so happens I am from Minnesota so clearly have interest in the Vikings. A little perspective is not a bad thing.

Vikes99ej
08-12-2009, 08:23 PM
I think Sullivan is going to be fine. Adding Loadholt and Sullivan and removing Cook and Birk definitely improves our offensive line, IMO.

Ozzy
08-12-2009, 08:30 PM
I think Sullivan is going to be fine. Adding Loadholt and Sullivan and removing Cook and Birk definitely improves our offensive line, IMO.Just for simple clarification, I stated in the training camp thread today why exactly I am not really a supporter of Sullivan and what exactly I do not like about him.

Hope it turns out, but I do have my reasons, even if some think they are wrong.

B-rand
08-12-2009, 08:52 PM
I think Sullivan is going to be fine. Adding Loadholt and Sullivan and removing Cook and Birk definitely improves our offensive line, IMO.

I have hopes for Loadholt....but I went into the draft calling for the Vikes to draft Jamon Meredith (who ended up going to the Packers in the 5th round) I guess this way we'll have a good view of how both of them turn out....

I liked Meredith for his knee bend and footwork as well as his strong initial punch, he could be part of the reason the Pack has not shown much interest in resigning Tauscher.

DHVF
08-13-2009, 12:02 AM
The funny thing with these questions about Tyrell Johnson and John Sullivan is that I don't think some people fully realize how far their predecessors had fallen. Birk had become virtually immobile and seemed to suffer with more concentration lapses than I had ever previously seen. Sharper on the other hand was just awful. He had lost about 3 steps in coverage, wasn't strong in run support and never really was able to come up with the type of big plays that he's made a staple of in his career. So essentially, as long as Johnson and Sullivan perform at an average level, we'll be more than fine.

Vikes99ej
08-13-2009, 12:10 AM
The funny thing with these questions about Tyrell Johnson and John Sullivan is that I don't think some people fully realize how far their predecessors had fallen. Birk had become virtually immobile and seemed to suffer with more concentration lapses than I had ever previously seen. Sharper on the other hand was just awful. He had lost about 3 steps in coverage, wasn't strong in run support and never really was able to come up with the type of big plays that he's made a staple of in his career. So essentially, as long as Johnson and Sullivan perform at an average level, we'll be more than fine.

Exactly. Both of them were getting by on their names.

yo123
08-13-2009, 12:14 AM
I think Birk is still a solid player, but yeah...Sharper was just brutal.

Ozzy
08-13-2009, 06:02 AM
That we agree on, Sharper last year was flat out horrible, slow to react and was just not productive at all on the field. That we all clearly agree on.

marshallb
08-13-2009, 12:12 PM
I think Birk is still a solid player, but yeah...Sharper was just brutal.

I agree with that. Birk was still solid, but I think that Sullivan can step in without losing much. I do think that Johnson will be an improvement over Sharper, but that won't take much.