PDA

View Full Version : Source: If no deal is made, Crabtree will re-enter draft

49ersfan_87
08-06-2009, 11:35 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/06/source-parker-tells-niners-that-crabtree-will-re-enter-draft/

Per a league source, agent Eugene Parker is telling the 49ers that Crabtree will sit out the season re-enter the draft in 2010, unless the team gives Crabtree what he wants.My thoughts: big time bluff. If he sits out and re-enters in 2010, he's going to lose a TON of money.

Edit- There is conflict on whether the agent made this demand or not

Eugene Parker denies this

http://nfl.fanhouse.com/2009/08/06/michael-crabtrees-agent-denies-potential-draft-re-entry-in-2010/

Parker said that wasn't true and that information is not coming from him.

"No comments have been made to ESPN or anyone else," Parker told FanHouse Thursday via text message.

A source in the 49ers organization said San Francisco didn't know anything about the ESPN report.Local beat writer Matt Maiocco

Plus, a 49ers source tells me his agent, Eugene Parker, has never made any such threat to the team.http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/08/lots-going-on-this-morning.html

PFT still claims it was the agent who made the request

Three sources have now said that Parker made the threat.

One source says that Parker specifically tied a season-long holdout to a contract that exceeds the package that the Raiders gave to Darrius Heyward-Bey with the seventh overall pick in round one.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/06/multiple-sources-say-parker-threatened-year-long-holdout/

MetSox17
08-06-2009, 11:38 AM
Lol yeah, no way in hell this happens.

LonghornsLegend
08-06-2009, 11:42 AM
And then he does what for this year? Just works out on his own? Yea right. Besides I've never understood the whole "I was picked 10th but want to be paid like the 3rd pick".

You weren't picked 3rd though, you were drafted where you went, which was 10th so that's how you should be paid. I think this is pre-mature though, Maybin has been holding out longer, and there are still quite a bit of guys unsigned in the top 15.

Crickett
08-06-2009, 11:43 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/06/source-parker-tells-niners-that-crabtree-will-re-enter-draft/

My thoughts: big time bluff. If he sits out and re-enters in 2010, he's going to lose a TON of money.

I hope he does that, as an example to other what happens when you re-enter the NFL draft.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-06-2009, 11:47 AM
Let him sit out from football. He is stuck then, can't play competitively in college, and not playing the NFL. If he plans to go that route, he better bust his butt, so that he can excel in everything come the offseason.

MetSox17
08-06-2009, 11:49 AM
The last two guys that spent time away from football then entered the draft, didn't fare very well.

Mo Clarett and Mike Williams.

Brent
08-06-2009, 11:49 AM
Desperation is a stinky cologne.

senormysterioso
08-06-2009, 11:50 AM
Ridiculous hardball posturing here. If he reenters next year, he'll get taken late mid/late first round most likely and he'll get somewhere in the neighborhood of $10 million guaranteed instead of instead of $20-$22 million guaranteed that he would get this year. It would be pretty stupid to give up $10-12 million in the bank for some sense of foolish pride, holding out for an extra $2-$3 million from the 49ers. He has no leverage whatsoever and his agent is trying to convince the 49ers otherwise. Stupid, sign the contract and go to work Michael.

His other option is to sign with a UFL team and destroy that league for a spell then go to the NFL, a la Herschel Walker. If I was Crabtree or his agent I would be flirting with that possibility, seeing what UFL owners would be willing to pay for a recognizable college superstar for a year or two rather than just sitting out.

The Unseen
08-06-2009, 12:00 PM
Not gonna happen, but that's a terrible attitude.

crites09
08-06-2009, 12:03 PM
It would be pretty funny though if he does go through with it.

superman8456
08-06-2009, 12:04 PM
He already has a Subway deal so he probably doesnt have to worry about going hungry.

drowe
08-06-2009, 12:08 PM
well. this is the definition of a lose-lose situation. 9ers would lose a first round pick. and Crabby would lose millions.

Also, if the 49ers tell this diva and his useless agent to f off and re-enter the draft, i will count them as one of my favorite teams. Then we can all watch the dude sit out a year, and when he's drafted next year in the 2nd or 3rd round we can do the math of how much money he lost.

and, really. i almost feel sorry for Crabtree here. ya know he is likely just a pawn in this game. the agent needs to be drawn and quartered though. Crap like this could kill Crabtree's career before it starts. even if things get resolved.

Brent
08-06-2009, 12:16 PM
I am thinking that Parker promised him top 5 money when he signed with him to be his agent, but then rumors said that Crabs was a "diva." Rather than try to prove those rumors wrong, Parker did nothing. Crabtree was probably convinced by what Parker and others had been telling him, about how awesome he is and etc., and now feels that he deserves more than the 10th pick is usually slotted.

Parker ****** up in not trying to put down the "diva" rumors, and Crabtree let himself be convinced he's worth more than what he's going to get. The Niners have all the leverage in this situation, and I'm sure he'll sign sooner than what the situation projects. I do like that the team, and coach Singletary, have said they are not concerned with Crabtree's absence, and instead talk about Josh Morgan's progresion.

senormysterioso
08-06-2009, 12:28 PM
If I was Crabtree right now, I would beg the 49ers to put there best offer on the table right now, sign it and move on. How unaware of the climate in the league is this guy? The day of the me first diva is over! He's got to realize that right now, Pac Man Jones is out of the league, a new team says the don't want Vick every day, nobody wants to trade for Brandon Marshall or Braylon Edwards, T.O. is on his fourth team now on a one year deal. Teams are fed up with these kinds of attitudes and they are not willing to pander to egos any more. They are delusional if they think they're going to get the 49ers to blink on this.

Brent
08-06-2009, 12:32 PM
If I was Crabtree right now, I would beg the 49ers to put there best offer on the table right now, sign it and move on.
They already made an offer but Parker hasnt made his demands known to the team, all he's said is that he wants more than they are offering. So, who ******* knows, at this point.

MidwayMonster31
08-06-2009, 12:33 PM
This better be a bluff. Crabtree is really putting his career in danger by holding out and if he sits out the entire season, that could really screw up his career. Giving him 36 million would be reasonable, but his party won't go for it.
An old classic:
WARNING: language
http://www.bangcartoon.com/2004/poston.htm

abaddon41_80
08-06-2009, 12:35 PM
I honestly would not be surprised if Crabtree has no idea what is going in the negotiations and this is all Parker's doing.

Geo
08-06-2009, 12:42 PM
I hope the 49ers don't cave in to the ridiculous demands. That could screw up the rookie salary structure (which isn't perfect anyways but guys drafted later shouldn't be paid more, period).

Thankfully the Darrelle Revis contract, which was bad for the Jets, hasn't set a precedent. (Unless that is what is holding up the Malcolm Jenkins contract?)

princefielder28
08-06-2009, 12:49 PM
49ers need to play hardball. If Crabtree thinks waiting til next year is going to be the best option then he's a complete idiot and the 49ers will be better off without a player like that.

TitleTown088
08-06-2009, 01:01 PM
Call the bluff 9ers.

I'm starting to see Crabtree as a bit of a headcase. Glad the Packers passed on him as of now.

08-06-2009, 01:02 PM
Josh Morgan is a future stud. The Niners can continue to play hardball, and have all the leverage here. Crabtree is just an idiot. I wonder if Al would've caved into his demands after seeing what kinda dough DHB got had he been the selection.

PalmerToCJ
08-06-2009, 01:04 PM
If I'm the 49ers I don't talk to his representatives for another week at least. What a dumb thing to say at this point.

locseti
08-06-2009, 01:19 PM
His 'adviser' should be fired and excommunicated from the family.

PalmerToCJ
08-06-2009, 01:22 PM
You gotta feel bad for the agent, I'm sure he's beyond PO'd right now. Just said he doesn't like his negotiations to go public and here it is plastered all over SportsCenter. The cousin needs to shut his mouth and let the agent take care of things.

KCJ58
08-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Mike Williams V.2???

fenikz
08-06-2009, 01:42 PM
49ers will cave

TACKLE
08-06-2009, 01:46 PM
C'mon Mike. You were one of my favorite players in the draft but you got to be realistic. You're not getting Top 5 money and your not getting more the DHB. Just because you think you're better than players above you doesn't mean you should get paid more. Get on the field and prove you should be paid like a Top 5 player.

no bare feet
08-06-2009, 01:48 PM
The niners developing a case of the Crabs.

wicket
08-06-2009, 01:49 PM
If you think you're that good sign a shorter contract and then earn all pro money when you've proven that you're that good

wicket
08-06-2009, 01:50 PM
The niners developing a case of the Crabs.

he shoots and its NO GOOD!!!!

(sorry bro but its really not funny)

Basileus777
08-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Parker is also representing Tyson Jackson, and is demanding Matt Ryan money.

Brothgar
08-06-2009, 01:57 PM
Mike Williams V.2???

I kinda saw the comparisons before and now it seems more evident.

ShutDwn
08-06-2009, 02:12 PM
Is there any compensation for a team that drafted a player refusing to sign and re-entering the draft?

Geo
08-06-2009, 02:26 PM
You gotta feel bad for the agent, I'm sure he's beyond PO'd right now. Just said he doesn't like his negotiations to go public and here it is plastered all over SportsCenter. The cousin needs to shut his mouth and let the agent take care of things.
Assuming it is the agent that is asking for Top 3 money, then screw him. You don't get Top 3 money when you're the 10th overall pick and you're not even a quarterback to ask for a premium. **** anyone that stupid.

But hey, maybe he's asking for a reasonable contract and the 49ers are lowballing him. I doubt it, but we don't truly know.

Part of me actually hopes that the Crabtree camp does hold out for next year's Draft, because he will lose so many millions if he does so as I doubt he would even be a Top 20 draft pick next year. Just to teach some of these players and agents a lesson they need to learn. It's bad enough the Top 15 draft picks are so overpaid.

And some of these kids need to understand that if the agent isn't working in the player's best interest, instead trying to get the best deal that he can show clients in the future, then the kid should get a different agent and not have a finite and always-tenuous pro career screwed with at the start.

PalmerToCJ
08-06-2009, 02:40 PM
I haven't heard what the agent is asking, however I think either way... He didn't want any of this to become public. It just puts more pressure on the situation and everyone sides with the 49ers on this one. It does seem like Crabtree and his entire camp lack any concept of slotting rookie picks. From the way things are looking, I'd say Maybin and Monroe have to sign first to see any movement. We all know he'll end up signing but it looks like Crabtree will be the early favorite for longest holdout.

The thing for agents though is like you said... Say the guy you're representing wants to just go ahead and sign for the same as the guy a slot below him to get things over with. Next Spring when the incoming draft class is trying to find representation, all the other agents are going to use when recruiting against this agent would be that he only got the guy a deal equal to the slot below him. They're going to assure the client they can get them the most money. While I have no doubt agents only act in their own interests, they have to really in order to survive. Otherwise their clients stop pouring in.

If a player wants to avoid the whole agent issue and just get signed, they really need to just get a lawyer to analyze the contract. If you want to sign for less than market value, there's no use in even signing an agent because for a rookie contract they simply MUST get top value.

Brent
08-06-2009, 02:47 PM
I haven't heard what the agent is asking, however I think either way... He didn't want any of this to become public
Eugene Parker has not made any offer.

This is from Matt Barrows, a Niners beat writer:
"Crabtree has NOT threatened to hold out the whole season, according to the team. Though his adviser, according to ESPN, says he is"

another beat writer, Matt Maiocco:
"Michael Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, has not verbally threatened 49ers with a holdout for the entire season, a well-placed source said."

Ness
08-06-2009, 02:59 PM
But hey, maybe he's asking for a reasonable contract and the 49ers are lowballing him. I doubt it, but we don't truly know.

I bet the agent wouldn't mind going public with the situation if that was truly the case.

Ness
08-06-2009, 03:00 PM
49ers will cave

How do you figure?

Crickett
08-06-2009, 03:01 PM
Eugene Parker has not made any offer.

This is from Matt Barrows, a Niners beat writer:
"Crabtree has NOT threatened to hold out the whole season, according to the team. Though his adviser, according to ESPN, says he is"

another beat writer, Matt Maiocco:
"Michael Crabtree's agent, Eugene Parker, has not verbally threatened 49ers with a holdout for the entire season, a well-placed source said."

If true, then the adviser is a flippin' idiot who has weakened the position of the person he is advising.

Beans
08-06-2009, 03:08 PM
anyone who holds out in the nfl can just **** off

'oh no im worth way more than $20 million, i need that extra $10 mil guaranteed so i can buy seven more cars'

Geo
08-06-2009, 03:08 PM
Well, no one wants the draft pick to hold out for a year. That's bad for both sides.

Menardo75
08-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Well lets remember that we haven't actually heard Crabtree say anything this is all his agent, and trainer. I would really like to hear how he feels about this.

bearsfan_51
08-06-2009, 03:18 PM
If I was Crabtree right now, I would beg the 49ers to put there best offer on the table right now, sign it and move on. How unaware of the climate in the league is this guy? The day of the me first diva is over! He's got to realize that right now, Pac Man Jones is out of the league, a new team says the don't want Vick every day, nobody wants to trade for Brandon Marshall or Braylon Edwards, T.O. is on his fourth team now on a one year deal. Teams are fed up with these kinds of attitudes and they are not willing to pander to egos any more. They are delusional if they think they're going to get the 49ers to blink on this.
T.O. actually made money by being cut, and I guarantee if Braylon Edwards was on the market he'd see lots of money too.

Teams don't want to give up draft picks for guys they can sign in a year. That's the way it's been for years. There has been nothing to indicate so far this year that owners are tightening their wallets for top 10 picks.

no bare feet
08-06-2009, 03:21 PM
he shoots and its NO GOOD!!!!

(sorry bro but its really not funny)

Sorry bro, I forgot to put sarcasm or drum noises.

awfullyquiet
08-06-2009, 03:23 PM
wow.

if the niners cave i'll smack them.

i bet samurai is gonna do the same.

D-Unit
08-06-2009, 03:24 PM
I hope he doesn't have one of those "My uncle is my agent" sort of deals.

This is a very stupid and inexperienced stance to take by the agent. You'd think he could explain the situation correctly to Michael before coming out like this...

Saints 4 Lyfe
08-06-2009, 04:03 PM
personally, i think it's the agent ******* up and not crabtree.

Brent
08-06-2009, 04:25 PM
also from Niners beat writer Matt Maiocco:

Crabtree's cousin and adviser, David Wells, told ESPN that the 49ers' first-round selection is prepared to sit out the entire season and re-enter next year's draft. Yeah . . . What did you expect anyone from the Crabtree camp to say? It would be the worst "holdout" ever if they stated publicly that they're not committed to making it a long holdout. Isn't the whole implied notion of a holdout to show no signs of reporting until you reach the deal for which you're holding out? Today's Crabtree story is really a non-story. Plus, a 49ers source tells me his agent, Eugene Parker, has never made any such threat to the team.

BuddyCHRIST
08-06-2009, 05:23 PM
The NFL really needs a rookie pay scale because this kind of stuff hurts everyone involved. I'm not going to jump all over Crabtree because you hire an agent to handle this kind of stuff, but even still he has to have some kind of say so in the matter. And even mentioning holding out for the season is a big red flag.

Flyboy
08-06-2009, 05:24 PM
Yawn.

A non-issue to me. He'll sign.

StackJaxx
08-06-2009, 05:28 PM
I hope he doesn't have one of those "My uncle is my agent" sort of deals.

This is a very stupid and inexperienced stance to take by the agent. You'd think he could explain the situation correctly to Michael before coming out like this...
its a variation of the classic, his cousin is the oft quoted advisor.
his agent is running like the plague from this rumor and it sounds like his cousin just made this whole thing up.

Kurve
08-06-2009, 05:33 PM
could this be a reason why teams passed up on him in the draft? this could be alot to due with his ego and how much he thinks he is worth and almost a TO type attitude.

j05son
08-06-2009, 05:38 PM
Apparently Eric Mangini, George Kokinis and Mike Leach have been calling San Fransisco laughing and dropping one liners such as "I told you so..." and asking to speak to "primadonna."

Brent
08-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Mike Leach have been calling San Fransisco laughing and dropping one liners such as "I told you so..." and asking to speak to "primadonna."
Mike Leach said he wasnt a "diva"

Nice joke attempt though.

YAYareaRB
08-06-2009, 05:53 PM
This message is not approved

http://www.midwestsportsfans.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/mike-singletary-eyes.jpg

YAYareaRB
08-06-2009, 05:54 PM
Mike Leach said he wasnt a "diva"

Nice joke attempt though.

No it was probably the lamest joke attempt on boards hahaha

PalmerToCJ
08-06-2009, 05:55 PM
The NFL really needs a rookie pay scale because this kind of stuff hurts everyone involved. I'm not going to jump all over Crabtree because you hire an agent to handle this kind of stuff, but even still he has to have some kind of say so in the matter. And even mentioning holding out for the season is a big red flag.

Seriously, it's beyond ridiculous the money these 1st overall guys get paid.

Create a rookie pay scale to keep the insane amount of money for the top picks down, this way agents don't have to try and make themselves look good. Then those players/agents can go out and get money in the 2nd contract.

There is still a problem with that though given how much shorter an NFL players career is in comparison to the NBA or MLB. They would certainly make the contract lengths shorter than they are now (for the top picks anyway).

Parker has some big money to be negotiated between Jackson and Crabtree.

bigbluedefense
08-06-2009, 06:18 PM
Already off to a bad start. I hope the 49ers haze the **** out of him when he gets to camp.

Rookie.

Get ready for a whole new ball game.

Vikes99ej
08-06-2009, 06:20 PM
What a *****.

vidae
08-06-2009, 06:28 PM
edit: nm, Jackson just signed!

Chief49er
08-06-2009, 08:04 PM

My thoughts: big time bluff. If he sits out and re-enters in 2010, he's going to lose a TON of money.

http://www.faniq.com/article/Michael-Crabtree-nor-his-agent-ever-said-hed-sit-out-the-2009-NFL-season-1760452

False report you got there, this thread needs to be locked down.

ChezPower4
08-06-2009, 08:07 PM
this is a obvious ploy to try and get money that Crabtree is not going to get.

Smooth Criminal
08-06-2009, 08:15 PM
Not a chance it happens. I really hope the 49ers hold their ground on this one. Don't let this guy bully you into breaking the slotting system. Just cause Kiper said he should be the first receiver to go doesn't mean he should get paid like it.

CC.SD
08-06-2009, 08:37 PM
I think that his foot has not healed up the way he'd like it, and that its affecting negotiations. Also his advisor is an idjit

EricCartmann
08-07-2009, 02:35 AM
See this is why the Raiders did not draft him.

awfullyquiet
08-07-2009, 09:56 AM
http://www.faniq.com/article/Michael-Crabtree-nor-his-agent-ever-said-hed-sit-out-the-2009-NFL-season-1760452

"Only problem is that ESPN didn't actually talk to Crabtree's agent. They talked to Crabtree's cousin."

"Wow, that's pretty s***** journalism. "

espn, not naming their sources.

49ersfan_87
08-07-2009, 10:05 AM

Yeah, i've seen multiple sources refuting that Crabtree or his agent have said this, and the team denies it as well. The only source that says his agent made the demand is PFT.

Which makes sense, because any smart agent can see how holding out a year would be incredibly detrimental to their client both in the short and long term. It looks like its just his cousin shooting off at the mouth.

tjsunstein
08-07-2009, 10:13 AM
No way he holds out a year. Nice way to start out a career, though. Crabtree will be a bust.

ThePudge
08-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Crabtree's a piece of **** and he needs to lose this ego. It's clear he cares more about himself and money than football. I can't recall a receiver ever entering the league with this ego, this predisposed sense of accomplishment. You'd think the guy would come in with a different chip on his shoulder. He has been criticized for playing in a pass-happy system that game him single teams and more looks per game than he'd get anywhere, he also was criticized by some saying he may lack NFL speed. You'd think the way to combat that would be get your ass on the field and start proving people wrong. If, in three years, you are one of the league's top receivers... go ahead, hold out until you are paid like one. The thing is, all Crabtree proved in the post-draft process is that he can milk an injury and he will be a headache.

The problem is, he's a young, immature kid who was hit with enormous success and recognition in just two years of college ball (on the field.) Let's not forget in high school, he was a two star recruit. Now, like some before him, he has an entourage of family and friends following him around, telling him what's best, telling him he's a star, telling him he deserves to be paid more than a player that was picked higher than him.

Sorry San Fran, you didn't deserve this.

Brent
08-07-2009, 11:58 AM
This isnt directed at TJ, but made me think: I love how, before the draft, seemingly every one thought Crabtree was going to be awesome. Now, every one is calling him a bust, or saying he's not going to do well, this forum is too fickle.

MetSox17
08-07-2009, 12:04 PM
This isnt directed at TJ, but made me think: I love how, before the draft, seemingly every one thought Crabtree was going to be awesome. Now, every one is calling him a bust, or saying he's not going to do well, this forum is too fickle.

Get ready for all the posts saying "I never said Crabtree was going to be teh awesome!"

Brent
08-07-2009, 12:06 PM
Get ready for all the posts saying "I never said Crabtree was going to be teh awesome!"
Oh, I know. That is how it always is, when someone goes from anointed one, to social pariah.

bigbluedefense
08-07-2009, 12:07 PM
See this is why the Raiders did not draft him.

But they still passed on Eugene Monroe, so they had an epic fail regardless.

abaddon41_80
08-07-2009, 02:24 PM
More and more reports are making this seem like it was just some stupid family member, who wants to mooch off of Crabtree, shooting his mouth off.

RaiderNation
08-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Just wonder if the Raiders drafted him... he probably would have retired right after the draft

YAYareaRB
08-07-2009, 03:00 PM
Just wonder if the Raiders drafted him... he probably would have retired right after the draft

I lol'd.. haha

P-L
08-07-2009, 03:12 PM
This is absurd. I don't care how good you think you are or where you thought you should be picked. You were the #10 pick so you should be paid like the #10 pick.

Crickett
08-07-2009, 04:00 PM
This is absurd. I don't care how good you think you are or where you thought you should be picked. You were the #10 pick so you should be paid like the #10 pick.

But the Jet said if they had the #1 pick, they'd pick Kellen Winslow Jr., so he should be paid as though he was taken #1.

This is nothing we haven't seen before.

Although, why is ESPN STILL reporting this if it isn't true? Why hasn't the agent or Crabtree himself called a press conference to deny it? It has clearly become a big enough story in the sports world to warrant it.

Brent
08-07-2009, 05:34 PM
why is ESPN STILL reporting this if it isn't true? Why hasn't the agent or Crabtree himself called a press conference to deny it? It has clearly become a big enough story in the sports world to warrant it.

what else are they going to fill 24 hours with, if not people giving their opinion on the matter after being briefed about it, 5 minutes before going on air?

Crickett
08-07-2009, 06:13 PM
what else are they going to fill 24 hours with?

Yankees/Sox, Michael Vick, Donte Stallworth, Florida's #1 pre-season BCS ranking, Lebron James returning to the Cavs, Michael Phelps, is Brett Favre going to un-retire and join the Lakers? Or the Yankees?

Its been 12 minutes since they talked about Brett Favre, they have to be going into withdrawal by now.

And again, why has this not been publicly denied?

Brent
08-07-2009, 06:22 PM
it was denied by the agent, when he said it to ESPN.com

they just need shiiiiiiiiiiiiiit to talk about

Bucs_Rule
08-07-2009, 06:41 PM
The agent likely knows its not in his own interest to have Crabtree miss the season. He will get a lot less and its a decent chance Crabtree will axe him once he sees its not working.

CC.SD
08-07-2009, 07:37 PM
The agent likely knows its not in his own interest to have Crabtree miss the season. He will get a lot less and its a decent chance Crabtree will axe him once he sees its not working.

It's not the agent that masterminded this, it was the nutso "advisor." Honestly Crabtree has a busted foot and didn't run a 40, and he's taking it personally that he was only the number 10 pick? That he's not getting paid mroe than the guys chosen before him? Unbelievable the lack of perspective some prospects have.

He will still be a great receiver though. Barring further ridiculousness.

phlysac
08-07-2009, 09:58 PM
It still hasn't been verified by ANYONE that David Wells is even an actual "advisor" to Michael Crabtree. To me it sounds alot like a family member spouting his opinion and claiming that he "advises" his cousin Michael Crabtree.

Alot of very interesting information regarding David Wells is coming out and making this situation even more laughable and Eugene Parker will now, more-than-likely have to settle for less than he'd originally liked in order to save face for his client.

Remember when we said Michael Crabtree shouldn't be listening to his cousin? He might not be the best guy to get advice from. When the local alt-weekly has done a 5000-word investigative piece on you, you're probably not squeaky clean.

Crabtree's cousin/advisor/miscellaneous hanger-on, David Wells, has been advising the 49ers draftee to hold out, all season if need be. Here's an article Crabtree needs to read.

The first thing you need to know about Wells is that he made his name as a bail bondsman. But if a man whose company's motto is "U Ring, We Spring," isn't enough to turn you off, back in 2002 the Dallas Observer did a story that makes you wonder why he isn't in jail, let alone advising a top young athlete.

A partial list of curious episodes before and during Wells's time as head of David's Bail Bonds:

•Arrested for stealing boxing gloves from the Dallas Police Athletic League.

•Banned for life by USA Boxing over allegations of misuse of funds.

•Served as the omnipresent bodyguard shoving reporters out of the way for Michael Irvin after his arrest for possession.

•Indicted for serving as a private investigator with a license that had lapsed four years earlier, but exonerated after a dubious receipt appeared showing he had renewed it.

•Let off the hook for $50,000 when one of his clients skipped town, after a dubious document appeared showing he had warned the county.

•Started a security company with a court bailiff, which is illegal due to conflict-of-interest rules.

So, Michael Crabtree, when this man tells you $23 million guaranteed isn't enough money for you, you really ought to get a second opinion.
http://deadspin.com/5331938/michael-crabtrees-adviser-has-quite-the-shady-history

YAYareaRB
08-07-2009, 10:08 PM
But the Jet said if they had the #1 pick, they'd pick Kellen Winslow Jr., so he should be paid as though he was taken #1.

This is nothing we haven't seen before.

Although, why is ESPN STILL reporting this if it isn't true? Why hasn't the agent or Crabtree himself called a press conference to deny it? It has clearly become a big enough story in the sports world to warrant it.

Eugene Parker recently released a statement that no such threat was made.

Brent
08-08-2009, 12:57 AM
Alot of very interesting information regarding David Wells is coming out and making this situation even more laughable and Eugene Parker will now, more-than-likely have to settle for less than he'd originally liked in order to save face for his client
I read that Observer article! I wasnt aware it was the same guy. This is too hilarious.

abaddon41_80
08-08-2009, 10:33 AM
This thread can probably be closed down. It has been confirmed by the 49ers and Parker that no such threat was ever made and the source is just some idiot cousin with a big mouth.

Xonraider
08-08-2009, 01:20 PM
go raiders

VernonLawson89
08-08-2009, 01:50 PM
Well, here's some positive news...
http://www.csnbayarea.com/pages/landing?span-stylecolor-rgb255-0-0CSN-EXCLUSIVE-=1&blockID=68304&feedID=2539

cvv84
08-13-2009, 07:00 PM
BJ Raji is reportedly going to sign tomorrow. Crabtree's now got a guage for his contract.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/53167877.html

Brent
08-14-2009, 01:13 AM
BJ Raji is reportedly going to sign tomorrow. Crabtree's now got a guage for his contract.

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/53167877.html
no he's always had one. the standard for non-QBs is an 18% increase of the money of the previous year's slot position.

cvv84
08-14-2009, 08:42 AM
no he's always had one. the standard for non-QBs is an 18% increase of the money of the previous year's slot position.

Uh no he hasn't always had that one because Raji just signed a contract. Raji got about 15% more in guarantees and his overall contract is about 40% more in total value than last years.

Brent
08-14-2009, 10:24 AM
Uh no he hasn't always had that one because Raji just signed a contract. Raji got about 15% more in guarantees and his overall contract is about 40% more in total value than last years.
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/08/crabtree-discussion-continues.html

League sources said that another reason the signings have been slow is because the Raiders messed up the process by giving Heyward-Bey an incredibly generous 20-percent raise over what the No. 7 pick received last year.

But the sources with whom I've spoken believe the 49ers' offer is approximately an 18-percent raise from what the Patriots awarded linebacker Jerod Mayo, who was chosen in the same spot last year. That would mean Crabtree has balked at approximately $16.2 million in guaranteed money on a five-year deal or $19.5 million for six years.

Gay Ork Wang
08-14-2009, 10:31 AM
ha, Al Davis was being smart and trying to let everyone elses rookies hold out so that they have a disadvantage

cvv84
08-14-2009, 12:14 PM
http://blog.pressdemocrat.com/49ers/2009/08/crabtree-discussion-continues.html

Whats your point? You're posting something that everyone knows. :confused:

Ness
08-14-2009, 12:21 PM
Whats your point? You're posting something that everyone knows. :confused:

To prove what he already told you. Crabtree has always had a gauge for his contract. He's getting a 18% increase in value from last year's number 10 selection.

phlysac
08-14-2009, 03:08 PM
I guess Raji got permission from Crabtree to sign his contract. Seeing as though all the players that have been holding out aren't holding out for more money they're just holding out because Michael Crabtree is.

cvv84
08-14-2009, 03:36 PM
To prove what he already told you. Crabtree has always had a gauge for his contract. He's getting a 18% increase in value from last year's number 10 selection.

Yes, in theory every player has a guage on their contract - but not a ceiling. Just ask Mark Sanchez and Darrius Heyward-Bey. If Crabtree is getting an 18% increase over last years #10 pick then why hasn't he signed yet? Man the common sense on this board is really lacking. :rolleyes:

TACKLE
08-14-2009, 03:38 PM
If I would have guessed which three players would hold out the longest before the draft, I would of picked Andre Smith, Crabtree and Maybin. I know a lot of people probably felt the same way.