PDA

View Full Version : Ed Reed Last Year?

The Legend
08-09-2009, 03:43 PM
http://weblogs.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/blog/2009/07/ed_reed_admits_to_thinking_about_the_rword.html

Ed Reed admits to thinking about the R-word
With offensive tackles Jonathan Ogden and Willie Anderson, wide receivers Derrick Mason and Drew Bennett and quarterback Steve McNair retiring in the last 15 months, perhaps it’s no surprise that Ed Reed has considered doing the same.

"Just to hit on Mason, I feel him," the five-time Pro Bowl free safety said after today's morning practice. "He had two surgeries and just with going through other things emotion-wise, it’s hard. I’ve been contemplating sitting out for the last two years and hanging up the cleats and stuff. When you start to think about those things, you start to put things in perspective. You start looking for other things to do outside of football."

So, Reed was asked, what has kept him coming back?

"I love this game," he said. "And at the end of the day, I say, 'You know what, let’s see how this one goes and look up next year and we’ll debate from there.'

So tell me if he retires next year is he a hall of famer?

thenewfeature06
08-09-2009, 03:44 PM
most likely

ChezPower4
08-09-2009, 03:45 PM
He would get in IMO

Paul
08-09-2009, 03:47 PM
I say yes. 5 Pro Bowls, 5 All-Pros, DPOY to his name and he was the best to play his position for a stretch of time, so I think he gets in for sure. But it will be surprising if he does retire, he's still only 30 years old and in his prime.

Hawk
08-09-2009, 03:47 PM
I think he is HoF worthy. Arguably one of the best safeties to ever play, and he was a complete game changer.

The Legend
08-09-2009, 03:54 PM
I think if Ray Lewis retires he is going to retire the same year.

djp
08-09-2009, 04:13 PM
Oh yeah, he's definitely a HOFer

703SKINS202
08-09-2009, 04:15 PM
I think if Ray Lewis retires he is going to retire the same year.
I could see that happening or maybe sticking around 1 more year after Ray leaves. As far as a HOFer, he is easily the best and most complete FS of our generation IMO so he has to get in.

Boston
08-09-2009, 04:22 PM
My No counts as a yes...

CC.SD
08-09-2009, 04:25 PM
Wow that was a lot of yes votes for what I think is a pretty iffy subject. I won't dispute Reed's greatness on the field but longevity is a serious factor, and in all of NFL history there are what, 7 safeties in Canton?

I don't think Ed makes it if he retired today, or even over the next few years. If he keeps it up, obviously yes. But you gots to stick around mayne. and it sounds like he's already having doubts.

d34ng3l021
08-09-2009, 04:32 PM
Wow that was a lot of yes votes for what I think is a pretty iffy subject. I won't dispute Reed's greatness on the field but longevity is a serious factor, and in all of NFL history there are what, 7 safeties in Canton?

I don't think Ed makes it if he retired today, or even over the next few years. If he keeps it up, obviously yes. But you gots to stick around mayne. and it sounds like he's already having doubts.

Yeah. I am a huge fan of Ed Reed and he is easily on the right track, but if he only plays for 1 or 2 more years, then I think there might be an issue if he is HoF worthy. Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson were both playing past the age of 35 and Reed is thinking about retirement at the age of 30? I think he needs to play another 4-5 years to be a shoe in for the HoF, which he deserves to be.

CashmoneyDrew
08-09-2009, 04:37 PM
If he retired within a year or two, would he get into the hall of fame? Not first ballot IMO. If he plays 3 or 4 more years at least and still produces, then he'll be a first ballot IMO.

Ravens1991
08-09-2009, 04:41 PM
I think he sticks around w/ Ray so they can win a superbowl together. Once Ray leaves he leaves.

He was a monster in run support back in the day and you can really see it that he shys away from contact. His Neck Injury is serious.

I think he should be in the HOF. He was the 2nd best defensive player on probably the best defense of the decade. He is a true game changer

YAYareaRB
08-09-2009, 04:44 PM
I dunno man.. There's isn't many players that come around that can play as good as Ed Reed. You can't say it enough that he's a game changer from a position that doesn't call for that sort of play, but he does it.

Smooth Criminal
08-09-2009, 05:42 PM
I say yes. He was the most dominant safety in the NFL for a long period. His careers a little short, but he was great during it.

I don't think hes gonna retire after this season tho.

falloutboy14
08-09-2009, 06:02 PM
If they allow safeties into the HoF, then he's in. Might not be the best ever, but he'd be in the discussion.

703SKINS202
08-09-2009, 06:09 PM
If they allow safeties into the HoF, then he's in. Might not be the best ever, but he'd be in the discussion.
Ken Houston, Ronnie Lott, Count Chocula?

keylime_5
08-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Best centerfielder safeties I've ever seen are him and Rod Woodson, who really wasn't fair since he could've gotten into the hall of fame if he played his whole career at just one of any of the four DB positions instead of playing all four throughout his career.

America
08-09-2009, 06:17 PM
Ken Houston, Ronnie Lott, Count Chocula?

Count Chocula redefined the position.

jth1331
08-09-2009, 06:25 PM
No, longevity has to factor in at some point.
Terrell Davis suffers from not playing long enough and he was arguably the most dominant back behind Barry Sanders n the NFL when he played.
And I know Davis' career was shorter, but RB's careers are shorter in comparison.

I say he needs more years to get a lock. It helps he is in the East Coast with the bias in that area.

Bucs_Rule
08-09-2009, 06:26 PM
He can't retire, he's still so awesome.

JFLO
08-09-2009, 06:34 PM
The Hall of Fame should get into Ed Reed...

The Legend
08-09-2009, 06:37 PM
Ray Lewis is going to be around like Favre so I think Ed Reed will be here a bit longer lol.
But if he wins the DPOY award this year I think he will retire and with 2 DPOY he'd deserves it.

Paul
08-09-2009, 06:40 PM
Ray Lewis is going to be around like Favre so I think Ed Reed will be here a bit longer lol.
But if he wins the DPOY award this year I think he will retire and with 2 DPOY he'd deserves it.

To bad the man in my sig is still young and vibrant. :P

The Legend
08-09-2009, 06:41 PM
To bad the man in my sig is still young and vibrant. :P

If he didn't win it last year how could he win it this year no offense lol

Bengalsrocket
08-09-2009, 07:16 PM
If he didn't win it last year how could he win it this year no offense lol

Why even wait till the end of the year to give the award out right? No one else is going to make progression as a player.

EricCartmann
08-09-2009, 08:18 PM
For me getting in the Hall has more to do how your peers compare to you at that place in time. During the past 5 years or so who has been better? I say no one... so he easily gets in.

GB12
08-09-2009, 08:28 PM
He definitely has the accomplishments to get him in. The only thing that I'd have a problem with is his time in the league. I think players should have to play at least 10 years in the league to make the hall of fame.

The Hall of Fame should get into Ed Reed...

That sounds gross.

Xonraider
08-09-2009, 08:46 PM
How old is he? I think it harms his chances of getting in if he retires early when he has gas in the tank...

Ravens1991
08-09-2009, 08:57 PM
He is 30 now, will be 31 in september

PalmerToCJ
08-09-2009, 10:25 PM
That would be fine with me. The Bengals would get to stop playing him twice a year and I could get over my dirty obsession with watching him play. He's definitely one of my all time favorites.

Xonraider
08-09-2009, 10:39 PM
He is 30 now, will be 31 in september

Yeah too young. He has only played 7 seasons in the NFL and has amounted 43 interceptions and 65 defended passes. Yes, I do know stats are not everything when considering if a player is good but stats should be important when considering if a player was one of the best all time. He should play at least three more seasons with success for me to be able to consider him as a hall of famer.

bam bam
08-10-2009, 12:47 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f4Bmjh7mXvU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sl6UW-r4Pjw

vikes_28
08-10-2009, 01:25 AM
How could you say no? I don't think he will make first ballot, but he will def. make it in eventually imo.

GhostDeini
08-10-2009, 04:01 AM
Ed Reed is one of the smartest football players ever. Not to mention he is best playing making DB ever. First ballot HOF whenever he decides to hang em up.

JFLO
08-10-2009, 07:49 AM
If you were limited to one vote per position, who would your vote go to, Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu?

As much as I love Ed Reed, it would be tough for me to decline Polamalu's two Super Bowl trophies along with his defensive presence on the field.

Gay Ork Wang
08-10-2009, 08:41 AM
i gotta say, for that matter id value DPoY more than SBs

Bucs_Rule
08-10-2009, 08:58 AM
If you were limited to one vote per position, who would your vote go to, Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu?

As much as I love Ed Reed, it would be tough for me to decline Polamalu's two Super Bowl trophies along with his defensive presence on the field.

Polamalu played like **** in the last Superbowl. If he played great than it would boost him.

You can't say one safety is better than the other because of how much better his offense is.

Paul
08-10-2009, 09:21 AM
i gotta say, for that matter id value DPoY more than SBs

Agreed. Especially for a position like Saftey. Give me Reed all day.

Ravens1991
08-10-2009, 09:36 AM
I agree to, it seems the super bowl ring thing only counts for QB

GB12
08-10-2009, 09:39 AM

Ed Reed and it's not close at all.

Smooth Criminal
08-10-2009, 09:47 AM
At this point Reed would make the hall before Troy. Hes had a longer and more consistently dominant career.

But when Troy's time is done he'll likely get in. Hes such a talented and unique player that I don't think theres a chance in hell he misses the Hall.

They'll both get in.

Ravens1991
08-10-2009, 09:52 AM
I agree, I see both getting in the HOF when its all said and done. They are the 2 most dominating safetys this decade.

Who do you all think is better right now? I will be biased when I answer it, I guess it depends on what you want your S to do because they do completly different stuff

Smooth Criminal
08-10-2009, 09:56 AM
I think Troys better at this point. It was pretty clear Reed had given up trying to play run support. His neck injury probably had alot to do with it, but Reed wasn't the same player last year he has been. Played a great center field, however he wasn't the complete safety he had been before.

JFLO
08-10-2009, 11:12 AM
I would take Ed Reed all day every day for a single game because of his knack for being around the ball.

But if there was a limit to one position per year to who would get in, I think it would be tough to see Reed getting in before Polamalu. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I think the value of winning a Super Bowl or two while playing is a little bit more important than taking a couple INTs back to the house.

Paul
08-10-2009, 11:21 AM
I would take Ed Reed all day every day for a single game because of his knack for being around the ball.

But if there was a limit to one position per year to who would get in, I think it would be tough to see Reed getting in before Polamalu. I don't know, maybe it's just me but I think the value of winning a Super Bowl or two while playing is a little bit more important than taking a couple INTs back to the house.

Yes, because of the rest of us value INT over Super Bowls :rolleyes:. Quarterbacks and Coaches are the only position where SB rings are relevant for HOF consideration. Every other position would certainly be based on individual accomplishments.

JFLO
08-10-2009, 11:28 AM
Yes, because of the rest of us value INT over Super Bowls :rolleyes:. Quarterbacks and Coaches are the only position where SB rings are relevant for HOF consideration. Every other position would certainly be based on individual accomplishments.

Yea, but two Super Bowl victories added to your resume is going to make your chances even higher than they were if you were to go throughout your career without a championship.

I know that it's the common theme to correlate SB wins with QBs and coaches, but in the end, they relate to everyone that plays in the NFL, that is the purpose, right?

Crickett
08-10-2009, 12:03 PM
Yea, but two Super Bowl victories added to your resume is going to make your chances even higher than they were if you were to go throughout your career without a championship.

I know that it's the common theme to correlate SB wins with QBs and coaches, but in the end, they relate to everyone that plays in the NFL, that is the purpose, right?

I guess Kevin Faulk is a shoe-in for the HoF then. :p

JFLO
08-10-2009, 12:08 PM
I guess Kevin Faulk is a shoe-in for the HoF then. :p

You know what I mean...douche, haha

CC.SD
08-10-2009, 12:09 PM

When you're a safety and arguably the best player on multiple title winning defenses, you better believe its a factor where Canton is concerned.

Ravens1991
08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Polamalu would still be in the discussion even if he didnt have 2 rings, he is just a beast.

The Legend
08-10-2009, 10:23 PM
Why even wait till the end of the year to give the award out right? No one else is going to make progression as a player.

Improve on 20 sacks is not something that happens a lot. Actually no one has had back to back 20 sack years as I know of. So yeah its gonna be insane if he improves on this.

roscoesdad27
08-11-2009, 02:48 AM
Polamalu would still be in the discussion even if he didnt have 2 rings, he is just a beast.

exactly, superbowl rings is a tiebreaker only in case of a draw except for q.b's and coachees (ray lewis is better than brushchi, i dont care how many superbowl rings they have)....less you belive robert horry is one of the best basketball players ever....with that said the above quote is spot on.

Rjspartan
08-11-2009, 09:32 AM
if he has at least 2 more years like last season then he will get in eventually

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-11-2009, 03:24 PM
I was not mad that Harrison got the DPOY but I thought Ed Reeds 8picks and 2 FF and a TD(You can check those stats I am not 100%) in the last 9 games of the season should of got him DPOY.

Ravens1991
08-11-2009, 04:16 PM
I still would have voted for Ware. It was a close year

Addict
08-11-2009, 04:24 PM
if he does well again this season... he should get in. He's been the most dominant safety for some time now. I doubt it'll be on the first ballot because Canton seems to really dislike safeties, but he'll get in eventually.