PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Outlook

Geo
08-10-2009, 10:34 AM
No ten predictions this year, plus no one wants to read a book. I've been sitting on these picks for over a month actually, but bouts of busyness and laziness prevented me from posting this sooner.

Want to do this out before getting the new Football Outsiders book (still haven't got it yet) and the preseason (oh well). Anyways, here goes, new teams from last year are denoted with an asterisk.

AFC

North - Pittsburgh Steelers
East - New England Patriots*
South - Indianapolis Colts
West - San Diego Chargers

Wild card - Baltimore Ravens
Wild card - Houston Texans*

Tennessee could very well be one of those wild card teams instead, but my basis for not having them is Kerry Collins has shown multiple times/years in his career to not play as well after a good year, and the defense wasn't as good last year as it was the previous year per some metrics, so that's a trend I won't go against now that they don't have Haynesworth. Not the only #1 seed from last year I piss off, keep reading.

One ballsy pick I like is Cincinnati, actually. Baltimore should take advantage of an easy schedule but Cincy is in the same division and if the ball breaks their way, it could be them instead. The Bengals have built what could be a good-looking defense under Mike Zimmer, although they still might not be as potent against the pass as versus the run. They have those two corners in Jonathan Joseph and Leon Hall though. A healthy Carson Palmer has them competing against anyone, look a the game last year at Giants stadium (granted the absurd winds helped). But they need the OL to be strong again, if they had signed Andre Smith in time I probably would have picked them.

Houston, I think their defense continues to improve even if it's only marginally, and maybe this year Schaub might actually stay healthy. Interesting tidbit: Schaub has only played the Colts one time in his two previous years in Houston. The other three times had Sage Rosenfels, who didn't do such a bad job.

NFC

North - Green Bay Packers*
East - Dallas Cowboys*
South - New Orleans Saints*
West - Seattle Seahawks*

Wild card - Philadelphia Eagles
Wild card - Minnesota Vikings

Here's where the fun really starts, I guess. All new division winners from last year. In order:

The Packers, for as much as the drastic change in defense would leave me leery, they often struggled between big plays (usually in the form of interceptions) last year so there could nonetheless be slight/significant improvement. Which, with their very potent offense, they will win most of the games they should have won last year, and thus return to the playoffs.

The Eagles/Cowboys is the one pick I've changed from then to now. Because of the loss of Jim Johnson and Stewart Bradley, but Donovan McNabb should still lead the team to a wild card spot. I think the Cowboys are going back to the playoffs on the two things: (1) a strong running game with Barber and Felix; and (2) good defense all under the control of Wade Phillips. Romo will occassionally make a play through the air or with his feet, but it's the running game and defense that lead them back imo. And watch out for them in the Tournament.

Obviously didn't like Carolina's chances and they've suffered some notable injuries since then. But if their OL stays healthy (we'll see how things go at this point), their dynamic power game could keep them in the thick of the hunt.

Atlanta though, I don't like going back to the playoffs, because I foresee their defense (with all of the new starters) struggling a great deal. The offense will have to win blowouts, and there is the chance of that with all of the talent they have. Don't believe Burner Turner will be as productive as last year however, they have a much tougher schedule this year. Matt Ryan reminds me of a young Peyton Manning though, which is so promising for the Falcons and their fans.

Hey, keep picking New Orleans every year, one year I'll be right. Guilty as charged I suppose. Brees is the best pure passer in the game right now and I think we see Colston have a big year and Shockey have his best season in the last few years too, plus all the great complementary weapons in Bush/Moore/Meachem/Henderson. Moving on from Duece to Pierre Thomas was overdue. They've added serious talent at corner the last 16 months: Tracy Porter, Jabari Greer, Malcolm Jenkins, and Randall ***.

Actually I wanted to pick St. Louis for the West, but couldn't pull the trigger. Do not overlook them, they have pieces in place and just needs things to go right for them. And I'm not bullish about Seattle because Walter Jones is too much of a critical concern, he still has yet to practice - for all of their other talent, that could be the breaking point. Maybe Locklear gets the job done though, so I bench the brass balls and pick Seattle.

Last wild card spot comes down to Minnesota and the Giants, I think. And they play each other in Week 17, wow! In Minnesota though. Although Eli might be better off passing indoors than Giants Stadium that time of year, the Vikes play better defense at home. I expect the shitstorm for not picking the Giants, but here's my thinking: Their offensive line has been very healthy the last two years, and as it's cyclical, expect the likelihood of injuries now. I saw this firsthand as a Colts fan the last two years. And the Giants don't have anything close to high quality depth at OL.
They have talent at wide receiver, but they are so green. Inexperienced. Plus teams won't have to double anyone at all, not even consider it in the least. (Watch out though after this year.)
No respect for the passing game + potential injuries to the OL that has played together for so many games = decreased effectiveness of the running game. Many more 8-man boxes. More chances for Jacobs to get hurt, even.
The Giants can easily replace Derrick Ward the runner, but I don't think they will replace Derrick Ward the third down back as well. They need someone to step up in a big way and pass protect and run routes as well as he did. I doubt they will fully.
So the offense will be one major struggle. Can the defense pick up all of the slack? The DL (if healthy) is stacked, which is big. But they lost their mastemind in Steve Spagnuolo, and I think that ultimately hurts. Even if it means that carry only part of the slack.

Six new teams in the playoffs. Okay, blast away.

I guess I'll add some predictions:

Super Bowl XLIV - Colts over Cowboys in Miami, just like Super Bowl V

MVP & Offensive Player of the Year - Drew Brees
Defensive Player of the Year - Jared Allen
Comeback Player of the Year - Tom Brady (not Matt Hasselbeck you idiot)

PS. Sorry for the book.

the dude
08-10-2009, 10:43 AM
great writeup on the pack. also: jordy nelson

Geo
08-10-2009, 10:44 AM
I'm surprised more people aren't picking the Packers.

the dude
08-10-2009, 10:48 AM
what excites me the most is that we now have a defensive coordinator who is actually capable of his job. bob sanders was totally unable of running a to-minute drill, make in-game adjustments etc

cvv84
08-10-2009, 10:48 AM
I'm surprised more people aren't picking the Packers.

I like it that way. Last time = NFC Championship game

tjsunstein
08-10-2009, 11:19 AM
The Packers lost seven games by an average of 3 points last year, something like that. If we turn one touchdown into a field goal in those games, we would have won 5 and sent 2 to overtime. I'm pretty optimistic our luck will be much better this year with Capers running the defense.

AntoinCD
08-10-2009, 11:29 AM
I feel that unless he gets hurt again or doesn't bring the Patriots to the playoffs then no matter how well he plays Brady will be comeback player of the year.

Pretty ballsy to leave out the Giants and to include the Cowboys. Plus to have them going to the Superbowl, however if they get there and can somehow get over the hump and win a playoff game they could very well get there.

SuperMcGee
08-10-2009, 11:29 AM
Homer.

Even if it's a pack of average, I don't see the Rams emerging in the NFC West. I know you didn't ultimately have them doing it either, but I'll look to Seattle and Arizona before them.

I pretty much agree with your AFC ideas. There's not too many other ways I'd like to go, even if I'd like to find a different team to take that last wild card. I lean to Tennessee, though. Disgusting lack of turnover on my part.

NFC East is so fun to think about. I like all four teams this year. when I started writing this post I was ready to agree with you, but now I'm fighting myself on it. I certainly like Dallas a lot, I can agree there. I buy them as a good bet for January.

Geo
08-10-2009, 11:45 AM
I feel that unless he gets hurt again or doesn't bring the Patriots to the playoffs then no matter how well he plays Brady will be comeback player of the year.

Pretty ballsy to leave out the Giants and to include the Cowboys. Plus to have them going to the Superbowl, however if they get there and can somehow get over the hump and win a playoff game they could very well get there.
Wow, a serious D'oh moment if there ever was one. No, more like

D'oh

I'll edit the pick to Brady. I was thinking off the top of my head, and somehow forgot the Golden Boy.

As for the Cowboys, I kind of think they match up well in that scenario. Even moreso if they can avoid Philly, but the Giants match-up better because of their pass rush. New Orleans gets in but probably with a slightly worse record, which means that potential game would be played in Dallas.

thenewfeature06
08-10-2009, 11:53 AM
I do like the pack out of the nfc

Geo
08-10-2009, 11:53 AM
Homer.

Even if it's a pack of average, I don't see the Rams emerging in the NFC West. I know you didn't ultimately have them doing it either, but I'll look to Seattle and Arizona before them.

I pretty much agree with your AFC ideas. There's not too many other ways I'd like to go, even if I'd like to find a different team to take that last wild card. I lean to Tennessee, though. Disgusting lack of turnover on my part.

NFC East is so fun to think about. I like all four teams this year. when I started writing this post I was ready to agree with you, but now I'm fighting myself on it. I certainly like Dallas a lot, I can agree there. I buy them as a good bet for January.
Yeah, I can't argue against the homer accusation. Although I think we see a much better Colts defense this year thanks to Larry Coyer. Tony Dungy did a great job in building the Colts into a consistent regular season winner, he put the train on the tracks so to speak, but he took them as far as he could imo.

The key for the Colts is not having to play in Foxboro in January, good luck to anyone trying to beat Belichick at home then. San Diego looks loaded, but playing in San Diego isn't as tough because the Colts always keep it close against them and there should be much better weather in that scenario.

Dallas, again, a strong running game and the Wade Phillips-run defense is what I think gets it all done. I am not a believer in Roy Williams as a #1 receiver, I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick Crayton turns out to be their best wide receiver. But Romo will hit those guys occassionally as well as the talented RBs and TEs, who will be the real key in their passing game. Romo to his BFF Witten.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
* Their offensive line has been very healthy the last two years, and as it's cyclical, expect the likelihood of injuries now. I saw this firsthand as a Colts fan the last two years. And the Giants don't have anything close to high quality depth at OL.
* They have talent at wide receiver, but they are so green. Inexperienced. Plus teams won't have to double anyone at all, not even consider it in the least. (Watch out though after this year.)
* No respect for the passing game + potential injuries to the OL that has played together for so many games = decreased effectiveness of the running game. Many more 8-man boxes. More chances for Jacobs to get hurt, even.
* The Giants can easily replace Derrick Ward the runner, but I don't think they will replace Derrick Ward the third down back as well. They need someone to step up in a big way and pass protect and run routes as well as he did. I doubt they will fully.
* So the offense will be one major struggle. Can the defense pick up all of the slack? The DL (if healthy) is stacked, which is big. But they lost their mastemind in Steve Spagnuolo, and I think that ultimately hurts. Even if it means that carry only part of the slack.

We have our young guys who been in the system and need to step up. I wouldn't call it veteran quality, but we have guys that we groomed. But with the salary cap system in place, we can't get depth at every position. I'd rather win games with defense, and stack that depth then OL, especially since we drafted that depth and groomed them. But I can see the point, non the less.

WRs: Yeah we have a lot of different guys right now. Hixon, Smith, Moss, Nicks, Barden, and Manningham. We also drafted Beckum who will be our H back player. So while we don't have experienced WRs, we will probably do what we normally do. Run the football, rack up a huge TOP, and throw short and intermediate routes. Now, the X factor is how we readjusted our passing attack. I think it will be totally revamped to fit the existing WRs. Hence the drafting of Beckum. So the passing scheme will be interesting for us giants fans as well. I expect a lot of different concepts this year.

As for the 8 man boxes.. let them.. Teams only bring 8 men in the box only on certain down and distances. Not's more of a big deal for fans than it is for people in the game. You can easily vertically and horizontally stretch the 8th guy. Not to mention if you do that it means you are giving me a single high safety. So you better pray to god your blitz gets there OR your FS is a stud. If not, he is going to get High/lowed and owned. One example of this is the NCAA concept used for a single high safety coverage.

RBs.. Our Backs as of now are Jacobs, Bradshaw, Ware, and Brown.. I am happy with these guys. Ward was a plug and play guy, and I think Bradshaw has a much better skill set than Ward. Plus now Bradshaw has been in the system, so I expect a lot from him.

Defense:

We lost Spags, but we don't have to hire someone from the outside. We promoted within this system, and Bill S. is going to keep the same system, but add wrinkles to it. For instance, we won't fire zone as much as we did with spags. Bill S. is a creative guy and has implemented a 5-1-5 look which will use once and while.

OSI-Alford-Tuck-Cofield-Kiwi

Plus if you are going to say that, then be fair and consider the same for the Eagles.. They lost Dawkins, who was a pillar in that system, they lost a legend, and they lost their Mike backer. Can they over come it? Sure.. but if the same stuff is going to be said for our team, then it's only fair to consider these issues with others as well.

Overall good job with the overview. Just wanted to provide some counter points to some of the things you mentioned. You mention valid concerns, but upon further analysis there is more going on. I guess it's a wait and see for our team.

Geo
08-10-2009, 12:20 PM
For instance, we won't fire zone as much as we did with spags. Bill S. is a creative guy and has implemented a 5-1-5 look which will use once and while.

OSI-Alford-Tuck-Cofield-Kiwi

Plus if you are going to say that, then be fair and consider the same for the Eagles.. They lost Dawkins, who was a pillar in that system, they lost a legend, and they lost their Mike backer. Can they over come it? Sure.. but if the same stuff is going to be said for our team, then it's only fair to consider these issues with others as well.

Overall good job with the overview. Just wanted to provide some counter points to some of the things you mentioned. You mention valid concerns, but upon further analysis there is more going on. I guess it's a wait and see for our team.
My argument against the Giants is definitely riddled with speculation, I would readily admit. Also I admit that I went back and forth on picking the Giants to make the playoffs anyways, but kind of went with the ballsy pick there. Saying both #1 seeds don't make the playoff next year, what the hey.

(Plus I do think Sage Rosenfels is an upgrade at QB for the Vikes, just not one to win a SB.)

The likelihood of injury to the OL is just that, chance/probability. If they continue to stay healthy like they have for the 40 or so games previous, the Giants offense should do well. I could be easily underestimating both the wide receivers and Sheridan. Re: the latter, a lot of the defensive stuff you mentioned there sounds very cool, in fact.

I like the Giants, so I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong. But that's kind of the conclusion I reached, thinking about it over the summer. But also, as I touched on, I think the Giants could afterwards be scary good as their receivers develop with Eli.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-10-2009, 12:28 PM
My argument against the Giants is definitely riddled with speculation, I would readily admit. Also I admit that I went back and forth on picking the Giants to make the playoffs anyways, but kind of went with the ballsy pick there. Saying both #1 seeds don't make the playoff next year, what the hey.

(Plus I do think Sage Rosenfels is an upgrade at QB for the Vikes, just not one to win a SB.)

The likelihood of injury to the OL is just that, chance/probability. If they continue to stay healthy like they have for the 40 or so games previous, the Giants offense should do well. I could be easily underestimating both the wide receivers and Sheridan. Re: the latter, a lot of the defensive stuff you mentioned there sounds very cool, in fact.

I like the Giants, so I certainly wouldn't mind being wrong. But that's kind of the conclusion I reached, thinking about it over the summer. But also, as I touched on, I think the Giants could afterwards be scary good as their receivers develop with Eli.

True, but on the other hand, they are valid opinions. We very well can kick the bucket this year. But I think our GM and Coughlin proved that this is not the Accorsi-Fassel years, where it was like a roller coaster ride, in terms of overall season record. So I tend to side and welcome our stability as a franchise. But non the less, this is the NFL, so we could fall apart too.

Yeah we have been working on getting 3 DEs, Osi, Tuck, and Kiwi on the DL. So instead of going 3 DEs. We have a 5-1-5. I am guessing Cofield and Canty will switch too.. Basically have Tuck and Canty obliterate the inside pocket, and Kiwi and Osi meet at the QB. Coughlin and Sheridan were quoted to say, there is a lot more in the works, but obviously didn't specify.

But we will see, That's where you trust your coaching staff and GM to provide you with depth and stability to a franchise. Hopefully we can continue to make the playoffs yet again,and win our division. Just like other teams we have question marks too though.

Giantsfan1080
08-10-2009, 01:35 PM
I don't mind anyone picking against the Giants but to do so in such a speculative manner makes me wonder why. When you make predicitons you have to do so based on the players you know are going to be on the field.

no bare feet
08-10-2009, 01:49 PM
The Giants fans on this board seem very testy. The 5-1-5 rumor is crazy, it may or may not work but gimmicky offenses don't have staying power and gimmicky defenses well they are for Pop Warner leagues.

Giantsfan1080
08-10-2009, 02:00 PM
The Giants fans on this board seem very testy. The 5-1-5 rumor is crazy, it may or may not work but gimmicky offenses don't have staying power and gimmicky defenses well they are for Pop Warner leagues.

It's not like this will be our base defense. It will just be something we throw out there on 2nd or 3rd and long to keep offenses honest. If an offense has to gameplan around something like that it helps. I don't think any Giants fans really think this is going to be the next big craze in the NFL. If we even use it during the regular season we'll see it up to 5 times tops per game and maybe even less.

Geo
08-10-2009, 02:17 PM
I don't mind anyone picking against the Giants but to do so in such a speculative manner makes me wonder why. When you make predicitons you have to do so based on the players you know are going to be on the field.
Well ...

We know that proven #1 receiver and playmaker Plaxico Burress won't be on the field, and the passing offense struggled mightily without him last season. He and Eli connected for the most TDs of any QB-WR duo from 2005 to mid-2008.

We know that Derrick Ward won't be on the field, and although not a special runner he did good work as a back involved in the passing game.

We know that Brandon Jacobs has yet to start for more than 13 games or rush more than 219 attempts in a season.

We know the Giants had very talented players before Steve Spagnuolo but weren't as effective in using them to play great defense as a unit.

We know that the Cowboys, suffering some injuries and a disappointing offense, went from winning the division with a 13-3 record in 2007 to missing the playoffs at 9-7 in 2008. The Giants were 12-4 in 08.

Giantsfan1080
08-10-2009, 02:20 PM
That's all perfectly fine Geo. I was just talking about how you predicted injuries to the Giants O-Line simply because they didn't really get hurt last year. Besides that those are all valid concerns that you have right now though. We'll get a better understanding of how everything looks 2 or 3 weeks from now.

Geo
08-10-2009, 02:23 PM
That's all perfectly fine Geo. I was just talking about how you predicted injuries to the Giants O-Line simply because they didn't really get hurt last year.
I don't know the exact number, wish I did, but the Giants' offensive line has started for 40 or so consecutive games. That might be including playoff games, I don't know.

Anyway that is fantastic because of the familiarity and synergy it builds, the same guys playing together as a unit.

Because the odds are that luck will eventually swing the opposite way.

Like I said, I saw it myself as a Colts fan, after 2005 and 2006, the Colts' offensive line was hit hard by injury in 2007 and especially in 2008. Now I'm hoping it can swing back the other way.

You remember how it used to be when Petitgout and other guys would get injured and miss time. The current Giants group has gotten a little older and injury could creep in.

HawkeyeFan
08-10-2009, 02:28 PM
Nice report! As I was questioning Seattle over St. Louis, San Fran and Arizona, I seen the St. Louis spec of information, and I'm with you. We're going to turn a lot of heads!

Great report!

Geo
08-10-2009, 02:30 PM
Steven Jackson is going to beast this year, please believe.

HawkeyeFan
08-10-2009, 02:33 PM
Oh definitely. What people need to remember is that back in '06, behind a BAD offensive line, he almost broke the record for most total yards in a season with something like 2,350yds.

This year, we have added a young Pro Bowl calibur Center (Jason Brown, an All Pro Fullback (Mike Karney), a great blocking specialist tight end (Billy Bajema), drafted a young, great and potential filled Tackle, who excels in run blocking (Jason Smith). Also, reports are that Richie Incognito is playing at an ALL PRO level in training camp, and he's always been very good at run blocking. Alex Barron, more of a run blocker is moved to the Left Side, and we have Jacob Bell, who once was very good, and just needs to play that way.

Jackson could have a HUGE year, possibly record breaking.

Either way, I'm very excited!

Geo
08-10-2009, 02:49 PM
There's actually a lot of pieces in place on defense for Spagnuolo to use.

The ballhawk in Otogwe. Cover corner in Bartell, the bigger outside corner in Fletcher, and some speedier corners in Hill and the kid from Tennessee they drafted two years ago to play the slot. Justin King.

Linebackers are good, they've got a experienced veteran in Witherspoon back at WLB. Laurinaitis will likely start at MLB, obviously they like a lot of what he brings to their defense to draft him at the top of Round 2. He'll give Spags MLB coverage he never had in NY.

Obviously they need at least one more pass rusher. They've got a young price already in Chris Long though.

Sniper
08-10-2009, 02:56 PM
-I don't agree with your Cowboys prediction, but I'll give you credit. It's ballsy.

-For the Eagles, it does suck that they lost Stewart Bradley, but Omar Gaither was statistically equal or even a smidge better the year before at MLB. In Philly's scheme, the linebackers only need to be adequate. The superstars are the DL and DBs.

- For the Giants, I'm on the fence. Their defense and running game should both be excellent, yet again. However, as everyone knows, I'm an Eli doubter/hater. I want to see him produce without Plaxico before I crown the Giants as the kings of the NFC East.

My NFC East picks.

1. Philadelphia
1A. New York (Flip a coin between these two. I change my mind daily.)
3. Dallas (Potential to be great, potential to suck big wangs)
4. Washington

- I also agree with the Packers winning the division.

tjsunstein
08-10-2009, 03:08 PM
This year, we have added a young Pro Bowl calibur Center (Jason Brown, an All Pro Fullback (Mike Karney), a great blocking specialist tight end (Billy Bajema), drafted a young, great and potential filled Tackle, who excels in run blocking (Jason Smith).

The Rams had their first altercation in camp when safety James Butler threw a loose ball at tight end Billy Bajema, who then went after Butler. Some coaches like that sort of thing, but not Spagnuolo. "I'd rather not have it, but I understand it," he said.

no bare feet
08-10-2009, 03:28 PM
Steven Jackson is going to beast this year, please believe.

If I was a betting man I'd put a few months pay on Steven Jackson to lead the NFL in total yards from scrimmage this year.

bearsfan_51
08-10-2009, 04:05 PM
The Bears are going to win the Superbowl. Holler.

DeathbyStat
08-10-2009, 04:29 PM
I agree with the majority especially the texans and the Bengals as surprise teams.

The thing I can't see is the Giants missing the playoffs in the NFC.

I think the Chargers are making the super bowl because their division is so bad that they can get home field advantage by 2 or three games

Saints 4 Lyfe
08-10-2009, 05:14 PM
Saints Indeed

OzTitan
08-10-2009, 05:47 PM
Good to see the Houston > Tennessee tradition alive and well for another offseason!

Borat
08-10-2009, 05:55 PM
Billy Bajema.

Awesome.

BlindSite
08-10-2009, 06:18 PM
Good to see the Houston > Tennessee tradition alive and well for another offseason!

I know the feelin'

bigbluedefense
08-10-2009, 07:41 PM
I got it like this

AFC North: Cincinnati Bengals
AFC South: Jacksonville Jaguars
AFC West: San Diego Chargers
AFC East: New England Patriots

Wildcards: Pittsburgh Steelers
Indianapolis Colts

NFC North: Chicago Bears
NFC South: NO Saints
NFC West: Seattle Seahawks
NFC East: New York Giants

Wildcards: Philadelphia Eagles
Washington Redskins

I expect the NFC East to put 3 in the playoffs again this year. I think Chicago takes the North, I don't think GB has enough of a run game or defense to win it, and I just can't see Minny winning it without a qb 2 years in a row, especially with Cutler now in Chicago.

Seattle has plenty of talent and will regain the division, the NFC south is a crapshoot but I think NO comes out on top this year with improvements on defense.

For the AFC, I think Cinncy takes that next step, along with injuries and a SB letdown for Pittsburgh will get them the wildcard. SD is winning the West by default, NE will win the East, and I think a ton of ppl are sleeping on Jacksonville. I think Jacksonville is gonna win that division. Theyre gonna have a very good oline, a rejuvenated Garrard, Torry Holt was a major sleeper FA steal, and their defense will improve with the growth of their 2 pass rushers in Groves and Harvey.

Peyton wills his team to the wild card.

bigbluedefense
08-10-2009, 07:44 PM
The Bears are going to win the Superbowl. Holler.

this might sound crazy, but I think they will be MAJOR players this year. The offense will be better than its ever been with a beefed up oline and Matt Forte doing what he does. Cutler by default improves the pass game, even with a lack of WRs, you still have Olsen, Forte out of the backfield, and I think Hester can provide an inconsistent but somewhat effective deep threat.

The defense will improve. Pass rush will get healthier with some additions to depth, especially with the acquisition of Gilbert. I think that was huge.

Secondary still sucks, but the LB core is still nice. Briggs will carry that back 7 once again.

I like the Bears. I think they have a legitimate shot to represent the NFC in the SB.

bearsfan_51
08-10-2009, 08:05 PM
Well I'm convinced.

Here's what I've got.

NFC North- Chicago Bears*
NFC East- New York Giants
NFC South- New Orleans Saints*
NFC West- Seattle Seahawks*
Wildcard- Minnesota Vikings
Wildcard- Washington Redskins*

AFC North- Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC East- New York Jets*
AFC South- Jacksonville Jaguars*
AFC West- San Diego Chargers
Wildcard- New England Patriots*
Wildcard- Buffalo Bills*

8 out of 12 new teams. I like it.

For the Superbowl, lets take the Jets all the way against the Bears. Superbowl Da Bears.

bigbluedefense
08-10-2009, 08:08 PM
Well I'm convinced.

Here's what I've got.

NFC North- Chicago Bears
NFC South- New Orleans Saints
NFC West- Seattle Seahawks
Wildcard- Washington Redskins

AFC East- New York Jets
AFC South- Jacksonville Jaguars
Wildcard- New England Patriots
Wildcard- Buffalo Bills

For the Superbowl, lets take the Jets all the way against the Bears. Superbowl Da Bears.

wow, youre that high on the Jets?

I like em, but I just don't see it. Rookie qb, no weapons at WR, questionable pass rushers, I just don't see them out dueling NE.

I like the rest of it though. You have a lot of the same sleepers I have.

JFLO
08-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Pulling the rabbit out of the hat on this one...

NFC East---New York Giants
NFC North---Minnesota Vikings (don't hate)
NFC South---New Orleans Saints
NFC West---Arizona Cardinals
NFC Wildcard---Atlanta Falcons
NFC Wildcard---Philadelphia Eagles

AFC East---New England Patriots
AFC North---Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC South---Tennessee Titans
AFC West---San Diego Chargers
AFC Wildcard---Baltimore Ravens
AFC Wildcard---Houston Texans (that's right)

NFC Championship
New York Giants over Arizona Cardinals

AFC Championship
San Diego Chargers over New England Patriots

Eli vs. Philip

Philip Wins

bearsfan_51
08-10-2009, 08:14 PM
I think the AFC will royally suck this year. You could replace Jets with Raiders and I'd be fine with that too. It'll probably be the Steelers, Pats, or Chargers. Just thought I'd be original.

bigbluedefense
08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
I just noticed that nobody is respecting the Cardinals (outside of the last post I believe).

I wonder why. I really have no legitimate reason why Im counting them out. Im just not expecting the Arizona Cardinals to win the division 2 years in a row.

Especially with all the teams in the division improving. Seattle got better, the 49ers will be competitive, and I think the Rams could be sleepers, not to make the playoffs, but pull off a decent season.

bearsfan_51
08-10-2009, 08:16 PM
You only have 2 new playoff teams JFLO. Very unlikely.

bearsfan_51
08-10-2009, 08:17 PM
I just noticed that nobody is respecting the Cardinals (outside of the last post I believe).

I wonder why. I really have no legitimate reason why Im counting them out. Im just not expecting the Arizona Cardinals to win the division 2 years in a row.

Especially with all the teams in the division improving. Seattle got better, the 49ers will be competitive, and I think the Rams could be sleepers, not to make the playoffs, but pull off a decent season.
It could go either way. We'll see how Beanie Wells looks. If he can get off the blocks running they should be the favorite. They were a total fluke last year with teh lack of running game. Just got hot at the right time.

bigbluedefense
08-10-2009, 08:18 PM
I think the AFC will royally suck this year. You could replace Jets with Raiders and I'd be fine with that too. It'll probably be the Steelers, Pats, or Chargers. Just thought I'd be original.

I honestly like the Bengals. I want to give it to NE by default, but it just never works that way. It can't be that easy for them. At least I hope not.

I like Pittsburgh, but I just have a bad feeling about them this year. Its hard enough repeating as is, and I don't think they have the makeup to be repeating champions.

It could be the Chargers, but then...Norv Turner?

Its such a crap shoot.

bigbluedefense
08-10-2009, 08:20 PM
It could go either way. We'll see how Beanie Wells looks. If he can get off the blocks running they should be the favorite. They were a total fluke last year with teh lack of running game. Just got hot at the right time.

That oline isn't exactly dominant either. One good pop to Warner, and the season is over. He isn't exactly young, so they need to keep him upright. Which might be difficult the way he holds onto that ball.

The defense should be better too. Overall, they should have more talent, and I think the world of their coaching staff (Whistenhunt really).

I just don't see it for some reason. I mean...its the Cardinals. It can't happen again right? Its the friggin Cardinals...

Geo
08-10-2009, 08:34 PM

Most remember the great postseason run and the game effort against the Steelers, but they shouldn't overlook that Arizona was a 9-7 team last year. In, as you said, a division that was really battered last season.

And the postseason wasn't much of a glimpse to come, the offense hit its stride in 2008 and the defense gave it up like a ***** in every game except the game at Carolina where Delhommeboy **** the bed.

Flyboy
08-10-2009, 11:41 PM
Please stop picking the Saints, people.

kkthxbi

Brent
08-11-2009, 12:18 AM
I dont see why people are taking the Seahawks to win the division. Hasselbeck is a sack away from being out for weeks because his back is in such bad shape. Hell, the ESPN guy that blogs about the NFC West wrote about how Hasselbeck cant sit for too long before his back starts to get stiff, and even had a blurb from the ESPN injury doctor lady about how disk problems are unpredictable and can happen at any time. The Cards SHOULD be the favorites because they won it last year and to pick any one else in the NFC West is expecting a lot.

Shiver
08-11-2009, 01:38 AM
My 2009 Outlook:

It is that time of year again people. Recently it kinda clicked for me and I got that rush of anticipation for the next year. So I figure I might as well stop by and share with you all some of the things I think about the upcoming season.

AFC East - New England Patriots
AFC North - Pittsburgh Steelers
AFC South - Houston Texans
AFC West - San Diego Chargers
AFC Wildcard - Buffalo Bills
AFC Wildcard - Indianapolis Colts

NFC East - Philadelphia Eagles
NFC North - Chicago Bears
NFC South - Atlanta Falcons
NFC West - San Francisco 49ers
NFC Wildcard - New Orleans Saints
NFC Wildcard - Minnesota Vikings
Analysis will come tomorrow, I'm too tired to write it all up tonight (this morning?...). But a few things:

I really, really like the Bills this year. I think if Brady is slow coming back from injury they could push for division title. I think their offense will be one of the most improved units in the entire NFL and Trent Edwards one of the most improved QB. Terrell Owens flat out makes his team better, 'nuff said.

Houston needs two things to happen for them to win the division; Schaub stays healthy and the defense performs up to its talent. I think both things happen this year. Watch out for Steve Slaton, he's one of my favorite players going into the year.

The Bears are a team I like a lot. Jay Cutler is the best QB the Bears have had since... uh, ever? Either way I think he will make Greg Olson, Earl Bennett and Devin Hester look better than we would think. Combine that with Forte and the defense and look out! Sorry Minnesota, QB play means something in this league.

yodabear
08-11-2009, 02:03 AM
Since a lot of us are doing it, I will do it too, if I get bored I'll go through game by game and figure out all the records and where the teams will finish record wise. However, here is what I will end up with I am pretty sure.

AFC East: Pats
AFC North: Steelers
AFC South: Titans
AFC West: Chargers
AFC Wild Card 1: Ravens
AFC Wild Card 2: Texans
Um, the AFC East is 4 interesting teams. Pats get their QB back, Jets have Rex Ryan (he is ******* awesome), Dolphins are the defending champs, and the Bills got T.O., but I like the Pats with Brady back. The Ravens and Steelers I think will both make it out of the North, and I think one AFC South team will get a wild card because they get to play the NFC West, so I think the AFC East will only get one playoff team. I like the Texans over the Colts because I am not sure about Manning and the new coaching staff. Manning seems to be a guy of routine, and that routine has been thrown threw somewhat of a loop this offseason. The Chargers was the easiest team to pick of the 12, they are the Yodachu lock to make the playoffs.

NFC East: Eagles
NFC North: Vikings
NFC South: Saints
NFC West: Cardinals
NFC Wild Card 1: Giants
NFC Wild Card 2: Packers
I like the Eagles and Giants in an interesting race. I am kinda concerned about Eli with no Plaxico, but at the same time I would be concerned picking Tony Romo. And I think two teams will make it out of the NFC East. I like the Vikes and Pack to make it. AD is the best player in the game, Dom Capers will make a big difference, and Jay Cutler is a *****. Falcons were a nice story last season, but I am gonna jump the shark again, and go with the whole last place getting to the playoffs next season. I still like the Cardinals in the west. I would pick the Seahawks, but trust me once u have to say if we can stay healthy, we can do this......and that is what the Seahawks are saying, so I got to stay with the Seahawks. And yes, I would love to say the Rams, but I am a realist.

With that being said, playoff picks.....
STEELERS over Texans
RAVENS over Chargers
CARDINALS over Packers
GIANTS over Saints

PATRIOTS over Ravens
STEELERS over Titans
EAGLES over Giants
VIKINGS over Cardinals

PATRIOTS over Steelers
EAGLES over Vikings

PATRIOTS over Eagles

fondoffilm
08-11-2009, 02:46 AM
My 2009 Outlook:

It is that time of year again people. Recently it kinda clicked for me and I got that rush of anticipation for the next year. So I figure I might as well stop by and share with you all some of the things I think about the upcoming season.

Analysis will come tomorrow, I'm too tired to write it all up tonight (this morning?...). But a few things:

I really, really like the Bills this year. I think if Brady is slow coming back from injury they could push for division title. I think their offense will be one of the most improved units in the entire NFL and Trent Edwards one of the most improved QB. Terrell Owens flat out makes his team better, 'nuff said.

Houston needs two things to happen for them to win the division; Schaub stays healthy and the defense performs up to its talent. I think both things happen this year. Watch out for Steve Slaton, he's one of my favorite players going into the year.

The Bears are a team I like a lot. Jay Cutler is the best QB the Bears have had since... uh, ever? Either way I think he will make Greg Olson, Earl Bennett and Devin Hester look better than we would think. Combine that with Forte and the defense and look out! Sorry Minnesota, QB play means something in this league.

Buffalo, really?

I mean, I love the way the Bills play and I'm a softie for Jauron. But the offensive line is in shambles and there are question marks on defense. And Marshawn won't play until Week Four. What's to like about the Bills?

bigbluedefense
08-11-2009, 11:06 AM
My 2009 Outlook:

Buffalo isn't going anywhere. Their oline is shakey, their defense is nothing to brag about, and they have 3 teams in the division that are all arguably more talented and better coached than they are.

I just don't believe the Texans hype. We see it every year. Their secondary still sucks, and youre asking too many rookies to come through for them right away. And they also play in a tough division.

FlyingElvis
08-11-2009, 12:18 PM
Solid post, but I wonder what you have as a playoff tree. Commenting about the Colts playoff path needing to avoid Foxboro while picking the Colts to beat the Cowboys for the title has to mean . . . home field througout? or someone else knocks the Pats out in Foxboro? NE goes to Pitt for a loss?

marshallb
08-11-2009, 04:03 PM
2009 outlook approximate record prediction in ( )

It's a little long, but if you don't want to read it, then you don't have to.

AFC East: New England Patriots (13-3)
I think the Patriots will be the team to beat here. Brady will come back with a vengeance, and the defense will be good enough to win the division… The other 3 teams are real close to each other, but I see these teams all being around 8-8 or 9-7 team. The Dolphins will drop off from last year as teams have now had some time to figure out how to stop the Wildcat… The Jets should struggle early with Sanchez at QB and no real weapons for him at WR. The new coaching staff should keep them competitive and battling for a playoff spot though... The Bills could be a sleeper, but I don’t think they are there yet. Buffalo still needs a franchise LT and the defense still needs some parts and some time for the young players to develop.

AFC North: Pittsburgh Steelers (12-4)
Pittsburgh definitely has to be considered the team to beat here, after their Super Bowl last year, and what is returning, and has been improved. The defense will lead them again, and the offense will be good enough to win the division… Baltimore should be good again, but they didn’t add the weapons needed on offense to jump over Pittsburgh… Cincinnati will be improved, with Palmer coming back, Benson becoming more familiar with the offense, the addition of Andre Smith(if they can ever get him signed), and the improved defense. I just don’t see it being enough, yet anyways… Cleveland is stuck pretty much where they were. I don’t think they improved enough, but they didn’t go into full rebuilding mode either.

AFC South: Indianapolis Colts (11-5)
Indy has some question marks about some of the changes with coaching, but they still have the talent needed to overcome it… I think that Tennessee will see a drop off from last year, partially sustained from the loss of Schwartz, and also because I don’t trust Collins to perform like he did last year… Houston is a sleeper team and could surprise this year. They have improved the past few years, and have added some good young talent in the past few drafts… Jacksonville is a team that has been on the decline the past few years, and I think they will rebound, but just slightly. They still don’t have the weapons needed, and the defense isn’t good enough to carry them.

AFC West: San Diego Chargers (11-5)
San Diego had a disappointing regular season last year, where they were hurt by some injuries to key players. Those guys are healthy this year, and I expect the Chargers to win in a weak, but improving AFC West… Kansas City has an entirely new coaching staff and front office; the Chiefs are another team that could surprise as they have added several good pieces that should help them improve both in the short term and long term… Oakland still hasn’t given help to their lines, both offensive and defensive. They added another weapons for Russell, but they are still missing some pieces on the lines… Denver had a tumultuous off season and could very well be the worst team in the league.

AFC Wild Cards:
Baltimore Ravens (11-5)
Houston Texans (10-6)

NFC East: Philadelphia Eagles (13-3)
Philly was a good team last year, but improved this offseason, adding more weapons on offense and the defense should be good enough to hold up, despite the loss of Jim Johnson and Brian Dawkins... The Giants will battle Philly for the division, but I think Eli will struggle without Plaxico for a full season, and New York is also losing their D coordinator, so that could affect them… Dallas didn’t do anything to improve for this year, in fact I think they got worse in losing Owens. Everyone thinks of him as an asshole and a cancer in the locker room, but he is talented… Washington could struggle this year, as there are concerns about Portis holding up and Campbell becoming the franchise QB. I wouldn’t be surprised to see Brennan start at some point this year.

NFC North: Minnesota Vikings (11-5)
Minnesota is the team to beat again this year in the black and blue division. The Vikings didn’t get a QB to solve that problem, but they did get another weapon for whoever the QB is in Harvin, and added a big lineman in Loadholt to help protect him better and open up better holes for AD. The defense also will get EJ Henderson back after missing 13 games last year with a foot injury… Green Bay will be improved, but I think the defense will struggle with the switch to the 3-4, especially if they don’t get Raji signed soon… A lot of people are picking Chicago to win the North and go deep in the playoffs, but I don’t see it. Sure they added Cutler, and added some old lineman, but Cutler doesn’t have enough weapons, and the Bears did nothing to help out the aging defense which struggled last year… The Lions will be much improved over last year, but it will probably only mean a handful of wins as they didn’t improve up front.

NFC South: New Orleans Saints (11-5)
The Saints have one of if not the best offense in the league. The defense is the only question mark here, but I think it will hold up enough to win the South. There will be a lot of competition for that spot though… Atlanta shocked a lot of people last year, and Matt Ryan looks to be the next poster boy of the NFL. They added Tony G to help Ryan out, but I don’t know how good the D will be. I also expect a little bit of a dropoff… Carolina was able to run all over everyone last year, but then Delhomme fell apart in the playoffs. They traded a future first for Everette Brown to try and help out the pass rush. I just don’t see them being as good… Tampa Bay has gone into a bit of a rebuilding mode and don’t have the pieces needed on D or the weapons on offense either… I also see these teams beating up on each other which will hurt their records.

NFC West: Arizona Cardinals (9-7)
Arizona’s title run last year was a shocker. I don’t see that happening again, but I do think they are the best of the bunch in a weak NFC West… Seattle was decimated by injuries last year, and will contend, but I don’t see Hassellbeck being healthy the whole year with his back problems… San Francisco could surprise some people, and I wouldn’t be totally surprised to see them compete for the division title, but I’m not to thrilled about Shaun Hill or Alex Smith at QB… St. Louis will be better, but I don’t think Marc Bulger will do enough to help out Steven Jackson. The defense has some pieces, but isn’t quite there yet.

NFC Wild Cards:
New York Giants (12-4)
Atlanta Falcons (10-6)

Playoff Predictions:
AFC Wild Card Weekend:
Baltimore over Indy
San Diego over Houston

NFC Wild Card Weekend:
New York Giants over Arizona
Atlanta over New Orleans

AFC Divisional Round:
New England over Baltimore
Pittsburgh over San Diego

NFC Divisional Round:
Philadelphia over New York Giants
Minnesota over Atlanta

AFC Championship Game:
New England over Pittsburgh

NFC Championship Game:
Philadelphia over Minnesota

Super Bowl:
New England over Philadelphia

Sniper
08-11-2009, 04:17 PM
NFC East: Philadelphia Eagles (13-3)

Well, then. I'm down for this, but I don't see 13-3.

Geo
08-11-2009, 04:29 PM
Solid post, but I wonder what you have as a playoff tree. Commenting about the Colts playoff path needing to avoid Foxboro while picking the Colts to beat the Cowboys for the title has to mean . . . home field througout? or someone else knocks the Pats out in Foxboro? NE goes to Pitt for a loss?
I didn't really go through a playoff tree, but my thinking re: the Pats didn't go any farther than than Indy getting a higher seed than New England. Maybe they have the same record and it comes down to the regular season game as the tiebreaker.

I think the two bye week spots are between them and San Diego.

BlindSite
08-11-2009, 06:28 PM
NFC South: New Orleans Saints (11-5)
The Saints have one of if not the best offense in the league. The defense is the only question mark here, but I think it will hold up enough to win the South. There will be a lot of competition for that spot though… Atlanta shocked a lot of people last year, and Matt Ryan looks to be the next poster boy of the NFL. They added Tony G to help Ryan out, but I don’t know how good the D will be. I also expect a little bit of a dropoff… Carolina was able to run all over everyone last year, but then Delhomme fell apart in the playoffs. They traded a future first for Everette Brown to try and help out the pass rush. I just don’t see them being as good… Tampa Bay has gone into a bit of a rebuilding mode and don’t have the pieces needed on D or the weapons on offense either… I also see these teams beating up on each other which will hurt their records.

So Carolina does worse because they have a brilliant running game, got better on defense and matt ryan is popular.

Amazing analysis right there.

Sniper
08-11-2009, 06:32 PM
So Carolina does worse because they have a brilliant running game, got better on defense and matt ryan is popular.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_fw7iF68JR8k/R-c0FQn0wDI/AAAAAAAAMus/7np7otcVO5o/s400/dawson-crying.jpg

Stop throwing massive ******* tantrums every time someone doesn't pick Carolina to win the Super Bowl. ****, we get it. You love the Panthers. You do know it's possible to be a better team but have a worse record, right? Carolina's schedule is hellacious right now.

BlindSite
08-11-2009, 06:36 PM
Stop throwing massive ******* tantrums every time someone doesn't pick Carolina to win the Super Bowl. ****, we get it. You love the Panthers. You do know it's possible to be a better team but have a worse record, right? Carolina's schedule is hellacious right now.

I'm sorry everything I do, especially debating with people on the things they say, effects your life so grandly. Is there someone you can call?

Gay Ork Wang
08-11-2009, 06:44 PM
I'm sorry everything I do, especially debating with people on the things they say, effects your life so grandly. Is there someone you can call?
u just seem like a whiny kid if you do that though. #
"mommy mommy, some guy on the internet bashed my favourite team!"

BlindSite
08-11-2009, 06:55 PM
Dude I really don't care that much if someone writes a reasoned post about why Carolina won't win the division this year. Point to the fact there's little depth across the lines that already lost a key player and that the schedule is brutal which will probably lead to a few key losses that pushes them back into the pack with the rest of the improving division. Such a thing will likely lead to a struggle for the crown going to the team who's playing the best football in december, which means you need depth.

Don't post like a ****** saying the team traded a first round pick which has no impact on the current season, to pick up another pass rusher to an already talented front 7 and point out Delhomme threw a few picks almost 8 months ago, as if he's going to have that in his head in the huddle on opening day.

None of that changes anything and none of that will lead to Carolina losing the division.

I have no problem agreeing or putting out there that Carolina has a good chance of not winning the NFC South, I have a problem when people's reasoning is completely flawed, and last I checked every other fan who's team is talked **** about, not reasoned or dissected but blindly, stupidly bashed, will do the same thing, particularly titans and giants fans, so get off my jock about it just because I'm one of two or three Panthers fans who regularly frequent this board.

bigbluedefense
08-11-2009, 07:08 PM
2 things i like about Carolina which will make them respectable this season:

1. I think they might have one of the top 4 offensive lines in the league.
2. They have the best RBC in the league.

Thats gonna keep them in games by itself.

Flyboy
08-11-2009, 08:07 PM

And, good ol' Jakey can lose them games as well.

d34ng3l021
08-11-2009, 08:20 PM

3. Steve Smith.

Not only does he help Delhomme in the passing game, but just his presence gives the running game more room to operate. I think Carolina is getting severely underrated for this upcoming season. Yeah, Jake blew in his last game but was solid in 15 others. He isn't going to be asked to do much with a good defense, outstanding running game, and Steve Smith around him and only needs to focus on limiting his mistakes. The injuries aren't looking good right now, but they aren't enough to think that the Panthers won't make playoffs.

[I'll make a full 09 outlook later]

marshallb
08-11-2009, 09:49 PM

I said that I don't see them being as good as last year. As I think last year was partially a fluke. I wasn't giving full detailed analysis on each team, I was just putting out a few points. If you'd have read the last sentence, I said:
I also see these teams beating up on each other which will hurt their records.

bigbluedefense
08-12-2009, 12:34 PM
3. Steve Smith.

Not only does he help Delhomme in the passing game, but just his presence gives the running game more room to operate. I think Carolina is getting severely underrated for this upcoming season. Yeah, Jake blew in his last game but was solid in 15 others. He isn't going to be asked to do much with a good defense, outstanding running game, and Steve Smith around him and only needs to focus on limiting his mistakes. The injuries aren't looking good right now, but they aren't enough to think that the Panthers won't make playoffs.

[I'll make a full 09 outlook later]

Yeah, Smith is a beast.

I expect them to have a dropoff this season mainly bc they are just way too inconsistent of a team to put it together 2 years in a row.

But I love their oline, run game, and Smith.

YAYareaRB
08-12-2009, 12:36 PM
I think the NFC West is a 4 horse race.. or at least, a 3 horse race.

bigbluedefense
08-12-2009, 12:40 PM
I think the NFC West is a 4 horse race.. or at least, a 3 horse race.

I don't think it crazy to think the Rams can be decent this year.

They have 3 horses on the dline, they have a decent LB core in Laurenitis and Witherspoon, and they have potential in the secondary if Hill can wake up under Spags and Atogwe.

And their oline is fixed, they have a workhorse RB, a solid qb, and an easy schedule.

Its not out of this world if they bounce back. Im not saying playoffs, but its not out of this world to see 6-10, 7-9 out of them.

Staubach12
08-12-2009, 12:50 PM
I'll do a quick thing here.

AFC
East - New England
North - Pittsburgh Steelers
South - Tennessee Titans
West - San Diego Chargers
WC - Baltimore Ravens
WC - Indianapolis Colts

AFC Championship:

San Diego vs New England

NFC
East - New York Giants
North - Green Bay Packers
South - New Orleans Saints
West - Arizona Cardinals
WC - Chicago Bears
WC - Dallas Cowboys

NFC Championship:

New York vs Green Bay

San Diego wins it all over New York

Brent
08-12-2009, 06:31 PM
And their oline is fixed
Their o-line isn't bad (on paper) but there is NO depth on that line. If one starter goes down, it's going to be hard times for them.

JFLO
08-12-2009, 08:16 PM
Alright, this prediction is a little bit more serious than my last one...

I'm just doing the NFC now, b/c that's too much typing as it is

The records may be too much or too little, but I don't care...
*---Division winner
^---Wildcard Winner

NFC East
1. New York Giants* (12-4): The absence of Plaxico Burress shouldn't make for a huge mess for the team. Hakeem Nicks is bound for a good rookie season while Steve Smith should be another adequate starter. If healthy, Brandon Jacobs is bound for a humongous season. The defense doesn't need any explanation, as it should live up to standards.

2. Philadelphia Eagles^ (10-6): I have some questions regarding the defense, but the offense is going to be very dynamic once it gets rolling. Jeremy Maclin is my choice for the best rookie in this division and will be great opposite side of Jackson. The questions need to be answered on D though if they have any goals of winning this division.

3. Dallas Cowboys (8-8): I'm up in the air when it comes to Dallas. They have the potential to be the best team in the conference, let alone the division, yet they always seem to find a way to disappoint. IMO, the secondary will need some serious consistent play or else they will be chasing receivers all season long. However, Jay Ratliff will emerge as one of the best defensive lineman after this season.

3. Washington Redskins (8-8): The Redskins have talent, but not enough. Jason Campbell needs to prove to be consistent all season long instead of at the beginning or in short spurts. Will Albert Haynesworth live up to his contract in his first year? Can Clinton Portis stay healthy?

NFC North
1. Chicago Bears* (11-5): I honestly hate doing this, but I try to be as unbiased as possible when doing these things. The addition of Cutler is bound to push Matt Forte to a monster season. The defense, IMO, is overrated, but it will be enough to notch up ten wins, which should be enough for this division.

2. Minnesota Vikings^ (10-6): The Vikings have talent all around the team, but the most pivotal position on the field. Tavaris Jackson needs to answer more questions than just his health, while Rosenfels isn't going to wow anyone early or even all season long. If Brett Favre changes his mind once again, then the Vikings and Bears will switch places. Until then, it's the Vikings at second.

3. Green Bay Packers (7-9): Questions surrounding the defense and a first year implement of the 3-4 have me thinking twice about Green Bay. Ryan Grant was supposedly hampered all last season with injury, but whose to say he bounces back this season, not me. However, I've already registered the Pack as a team that wouldn't surprise me if they end up 10-6.

4. Detroit Lions (4-12): Four wins is four wins when you play in Detroit. I like what Jim Schwartz and company are doing to start rebuilding this team, but there is plenty more to do, namely on the offensive line. Matthew Stafford should have a nice statistical season, but the team surrounding him won't help lead to many wins.

NFC South
1. Carolina Panthers* (11-5): I went with experience over youth when it came to deciding this division. The Panthers possess the best one-two punch at running back and have a consistent game manager in Jake Delhomme, at least till playoff time. I have some questions surrounding the defense, but the team always manages to come through on that side of the ball.

2. Atlanta Falcons (9-7): I, not like everyone else, am not on the Falcons bandwagon for success. Last season, the Falcons surprised a lot of people, but they also played some bad teams. This season, they will be playing tougher talent, while still being very young. Still finishing with a winning season, but not as high as most people are expecting.

3. New Orleans Saints (6-10): Goodbye, Sean Payton! The Saints have been one of the most one sided teams the past couple seasons and it will show this year. The team has questions all over the team including running back, defensive line, linebacker and still questions in the secondary. Drew Brees might reach 5,000 yards this season, but that is only because they will be throwing like crazy late in games.

4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (4-12): The questionable moves that the team made during the off-season will be exploited this year. The team lacks leadership at quarterback while still having some questions on offense. The defensive line is awful while they will be implementing a new defensive scheme, which might take some time to adapt.

NFC West
1. Arizona Cardinals* (11-5): The Cardinals continue to roll, but surprise most with eleven wins. I'm somewhat skeptical about introducing a 3-4 defense, but the secondary is absolutely stacked, while still maintaining talent up front. Warner is still able to manage a game, while still having great talent around him. The X-fact will be Beanie Wells though, if he can stay healthy, then the Cards are bound for a division win.

2. Seattle Seahawks (9-7): Now that Matt Hasselbeck is back for another full season, the team should be able to return to form as they were in 2007. However, a back injury is something that tends to be lingering, so if he can't stay healthy, they'll look like the 2008 version. Still questions at running back, but the addition of TJ Houshmandazh should be a good asset. Aaron Curry is the DROY and the return of Patrick Kerney will make for a big year defensively.

3. San Francisco 49ers (8-8): I'm being generous with that predicted record. The 49ers squad is a bit overrated and is getting too much love. There are obvious questions at quarterback, while I think the team still have some puzzles to work out on the offensive side of the ball. The defense still needs some work, especially on the line, while I'm not sure if Dre' Bly can do a good job replacing Walt Harris.

4. St. Louis Rams (3-13): Marc Bulger's best days are behind him, while he is lacking talent around him to make the best of this offense. Steven Jackson needs to stay healthy as well. On the defensive side of the ball....yikes! I like what they are doing, but it still needs some serious work, especially along side Atogwe in the secondary.

Gay Ork Wang
08-12-2009, 08:29 PM
u only have 1 new playoff contender in the NFC. unlikely

Smooth Criminal
08-12-2009, 08:43 PM
AFC East - New England
AFC North - Pittsburgh
AFC South - Indy
AFC West - San Diego
Wildcard - Tennessee
Wildcard - Cincinatti

NFC East - Philly
NFC North - Chicago
NFC West - Arizona
NFC South - New Orleans
Wildcard - New York
Wildcard - Atlanta

Seamus2602
08-12-2009, 09:17 PM
AFC South - Indianapolis Colts
AFC East - San Diego Chargers

Alright, there's no real surprises in my picks for the AFc Divisional Winners. They're the four teams that have dominated their divisions for years. New England get Brady back and have improved nearly every area of their team. Pittsburgh are the Superbowl Champs and until somone shows they can beat them they need to be favourites. Despite the declarations by certain commentators (cough Rod Woodson cough) the Colts have probably improved on last season, while the Titans have probably regressed. The biggest loss for the Colts was a Hall of Fame Wide Receiver who is unfortunately well past his prime. The biggest loss for the Titans is the highest paid Defensive Player in the league. The Colts may have lost Tony Dungy but they have improved the coaching staff by replacing the Defensive and Speical Teams Co-Ordinators. The last team is the Chargers who are some distance away from their Divisional rivals.

Wild Card - Houston Texans
Wild Card - New York Jets

The Texans need to win this year. If they don't then Gary Kubiak and possibly even Matt Schaub could see themselves sent packing. They have a good running game, Super Mario, an Elite Receiver, Super Mario, good Offensive Line, Super Mario, good Linebackers and Super Mario. The Jets will surprise people, in my opinion. They are going to be very similar to the Ravens. Let's just say that a lot of Jets games are going to be low scoring matches. That Defense is good and has the potential to be scary good. If the Offense can be efficient and run the ball well then they should do well.

NFC East - New York Giants
NFC North - Minnesota Vikings
NFC South - New Orleans Saints
NFC East - Arizona Cardinals

Again, not a lot of surprises. The Giants are, despite the absence of a certain soon to be convicted felon, the team to beat in the Division. They have a scary defense that added some really good players in the Offseason. If they can get over the loss of Spagnuolo then there is no reason the defense won't be as good. The Giants obviously rate Eli very highly and have given him some toys to play with. Ramses Barden and Mario Manningham could be two draft steals, while their O-Line is Elite, and their Running Backs are very good. The Vikings are also in a good position. With the exception of Quarterback, which is a pretty important position, they are strong in every area of the field. If they were to get a decent Quarterback then they would be unbeatable. As a Colts fan I cried the day I found out that Sage Rosenfels was leaving Houston. He was the Colts best player last year. I expect the Vikings to pound the ball all day. They will do well in the regular season but, in my opinion, could struggle in Playoffs. The Saints Offense is frightening and, on top of that, they've added pretty well to their Defense as well. It's the norm in the NFC South for a team to go from worst to first and I expect the Saints to do that next year. Similar to their AFC counterpart, the Cardinals aren't outstanding but are light years ahead of their Divisional rivals.

Wild Card - Philadelphia Eagles
Wild Card - Atlanta Falcons

A month ago I would have had Philly as the NFC East champions. But, for many reasons, and some not even completely Football reasons, it has been a bad month for Philly. If Rod Woodson thinks the sacking of Ron Meeks will screw over the Colts what will the loss of Jim Johnson do to the Eagles? The Eagles Offense though will be good and will have enough to take them to playoffs. The Falcons will, in my opinion, have a bit of a Sophmore slump next year. That being said I don't think it will be as pronounced as other teams (such as Miami) and I could see them taking the last NFC Wild Card spot.

Super Bowl XLIV - Pittsburgh Steelers defeat the New York Giants

If Drew Brees can maintain his stats from last season, while at the same time leading the Saints to the Playoffs, then they have to give him the MVP award.

Defensive Player of the Year - Demarcus Ware

This season is primed for D Ware. I, personally, though he played better this season that Harrison. He has better cover on the front 3, with Olshansky coming in, and he is in a contract year, so I could see him not only winning DPOY, but also breaking Strahan's record.

Thecollegedropout
08-13-2009, 03:18 AM
wow, youre that high on the Jets?

I like em, but I just don't see it. Rookie qb, no weapons at WR, questionable pass rushers, I just don't see them out dueling NE.

I like the rest of it though. You have a lot of the same sleepers I have.
Jerricho Cotchery isn't a weapon?

But yeah I do agree with the rest of your points and a rookie coach/rookie QB tandem usually means 6-7 wins this season.

BlindSite
08-13-2009, 03:55 AM
If you want a rookie QB to be successful you need a dominant, not competitive, not good, but down right dominant run game.

New York just doesn't have that.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-13-2009, 08:00 AM
If you want a rookie QB to be successful you need a dominant, not competitive, not good, but down right dominant run game.

New York just doesn't have that.

Yet to be determined. Oline and RB committee is in place. Anything can happen.

New England will win the division though.

Seamus2602
08-13-2009, 08:07 AM
I don't feel that the Jets can win the Division (barring obviously another significant injury for the Patriots), but they have all the tools to be a very competetive team this year. They have, despite thing problems that the holdouts cause, a good team of Running Backs behind a top quality Offensive Line. With a Rookie Quarterback, or a less than average Quarterback, they aren't going to pass the ball that much but do have some options, like the Running Backs out of the backfield and Dustin Keller is one of the top young Tight Ends in the NFL. Their D-Line is good, their Mikes are top notch, and they have great potential in Vernon Gholston. If they can get by the 1st 4 weeks, then they can have a solid Pass Rush when they get Pace back. Their Secondary is much improved on last year as well. In general, the Jets will be in the mix, in my opinion. There is probably a 3 or 4 team race for that last Wild Card spot and the Jets are definately one of those teams.

Rjspartan
08-13-2009, 09:44 AM
when are people going to understand that tony romo cant win in the playoffs

Job
08-13-2009, 09:54 AM
When will people understand that 2 games is quite a small sample to base such an argument on?

JFLO
08-13-2009, 01:51 PM
I don't feel like typing as much as I did for NFC, which was pathetic and way too much...so here is my entire predictions for the 2009 campaign.

*denotes division winner
^denotes wildcard winner

NFC East
1. New York Giants* #1 Seed
2. Philadelphia Eagles^ #5 Seed
3. Dallas Cowboys
3. Washington Redskins

NFC North
1. Chicago Bears* #4 Seed
2. Minnesota Vikings^ #6 Seed
3. Green Bay Packers
4. Detroit Lions

NFC West
1. Arizona Cardinals*#2 Seed
2. San Francisco 49ers
3. Seattle Seahawks
4. St. Louis Rams

NFC South
1. Carolina Panthers*#3 Seed
2. Atlanta Falcons
3. New Orleans Saints
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers

AFC East
1. New England Patriots* #1 Seed
2. Miami Dolphins^ #6 Seed
3. Buffalo Bills
4. New York Jets

AFC North
1. Pittsburgh Steelers* #3 Seed
2. Baltimore Ravens
3. Cincinnati Bengals
4. Cleveland Browns

AFC West
1. San Diego Chargers* #2 Seed
2. Oakland Raiders
3. Kansas City Chiefs
4. Denver Broncos

AFC South
1. Tennessee Titans* #4 Seed
2. Houston Texans^ #5 Seed
3. Indianapolis Colts
4. Jacksonville Jaguars

Get over the fact that there are only two new playoff teams...

Playoffs

Wildcard Weekend
Minnesota Vikings over Carolina Panthers
Philadelphia Eagles over Chicago Bears

Tennessee Titans over Houston Texans
Pittsburgh Steelers over Miami Dolphins

Divisional Round
New York Giants over Minnesota Vikings
Philadelphia Eagles over Arizona Cardinals

New England Patriots over Tennessee Titans
San Diego Chargers over Pittsburgh Steelers

Conference Championships
New York Giants over Philadelphia Eagles

New England Patriots over San Diego Chargers

Super Bowl XLIV in Miami, Florida

New England Patriots over New York Giants

Most Valuable Player Award---LaDainian Tomlinson RB San Diego Chargers

Defensive Player of the Year---John Abraham DE Atlanta Falcons

Offensive Rookie of the Year---Hakeem Nicks WR New York Giants

Defensive Rookie of the Year---Aaron Curry OLB Seattle Seahawks

Coach of the Year---Bill Belichick New England Patriots

I tried to go with some sleepers on the awards...

Gay Ork Wang
08-13-2009, 02:00 PM
when was the last time a WR got the ORoY? Rnady Moss?

ShutDwn
08-13-2009, 02:16 PM
when was the last time a WR got the ORoY? Rnady Moss?

In 2003 Anquan Boldin won.

BlindSite
08-13-2009, 05:43 PM
when are people going to understand that tony romo cant win in the playoffs

People said the same thing about Peyton Manning for a long time.

BlindSite
08-13-2009, 05:44 PM
In 2003 Anquan Boldin won.

I thought Clayton did as well in 04?

iBoldin
08-13-2009, 05:51 PM
Jerricho Cotchery isn't a weapon?

But yeah I do agree with the rest of your points and a rookie coach/rookie QB tandem usually means 6-7 wins this season.

Not really, he's your standard possession, number two receiver. At least that's what I've seen from Cotchery. He's a bit overrated.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
08-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Hey Blindside, when trying to make a point you may want to check the numbers. Saying the Jets run game isn't good is not very accurate, given they were 9th in the league, while your Panthers were 3rd. Not that far apart. The 0.1 ypc the Panthers averaged better should say something also. Thanks for making a point with nothing behind it.

How is saying the Jets run game is a 'yet to be determined' something to be a little girl about. Haha.

Yes, Cotchery is a standard 2nd possession receiver.

BlindSite
08-13-2009, 09:16 PM
Hey Blindside, when trying to make a point you may want to check the numbers. Saying the Jets run game isn't good is not very accurate, given they were 9th in the league, while your Panthers were 3rd. Not that far apart. The 0.1 ypc the Panthers averaged better should say something also. Thanks for making a point with nothing behind it.

How is saying the Jets run game is a 'yet to be determined' something to be a little girl about. Haha.

Yes, Cotchery is a standard 2nd possession receiver.

Somehow I think your eye for detail isn't one to be trusted... Dominant is top 3, top 10 is competitive.

bearsfan_51
09-20-2009, 06:53 PM
Well I'm convinced.

Here's what I've got.

NFC North- Chicago Bears*
NFC South- New Orleans Saints*
NFC West- Seattle Seahawks*
Wildcard- Washington Redskins*

AFC East- New York Jets*
AFC South- Jacksonville Jaguars*
Wildcard- New England Patriots*
Wildcard- Buffalo Bills*

8 out of 12 new teams. I like it.

http://twistedsifter.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/guinness-brilliant.jpg

jballa838
09-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Defensive Player of the Year - Jared Allen
Comeback Player of the Year - Tom Brady (not Matt Hasselbeck you idiot)

Brilliant so far.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
12-30-2009, 12:45 PM
Somehow I think your eye for detail isn't one to be trusted... Dominant is top 3, top 10 is competitive.

Hey, hows the Jets run game doing this season? Your message to me about 'The Jets run game isn't good' sure looks stupid now. But that is just like pretty much everything you say...

BlindSite
12-30-2009, 04:14 PM
So I was off on an off season prediction? Who cares? I was wrong about Delhomme turning it around too and carolina making the playoffs again.

It happens, last year I predicted nearly everything right, people have off years, but the thing you should keep in mind.

NFL.com's stats are based of yardage alone, the Jets have more YPG than anyone because they've run over 60 times more than anyone in the league, their ability to put points on the board in the run game, is good enough for tied 7th in the NFL despite all those extra carries.

It still didn't help sanchez who's looked as much a rookie as anyone the past 10 years which was the argument anyway.

bigbluedefense
12-30-2009, 04:19 PM
Geo was pretty accurate.

Whatever happened to Geo btw?

Go_Eagles77
12-30-2009, 04:23 PM
Geo was pretty accurate.

Now that I think of it I haven't seen him in a couple of months.

kalbears13
12-30-2009, 04:57 PM
Bold = Divison Winners
Italic = Wild Card

AFC North
1. Cincinnati Bengals (10-6)
2. Pittsburgh Steelers (10-6)
3. Cleveland Browns (7-9)
4. Baltimore Ravens (6-10)

AFC South
1. Tennessee Titans (11-5)
2. Houston Texans (11-5)
3. Indianapolis Colts (10-6)
4. Jacksonville Jaguars (7-9)

AFC West
1. San Diego Chargers (11-5)
2. Denver Broncos (7-9)
3. Kansas City Chiefs (5-11)
4. Oakland Raiders (2-14)

AFC East
1. New England Patriots (12-4)
2. Miami Dolphins (10-6)
3. Buffalo Bills (7-9)
4. New York Jets (3-13)

NFC North
1. Green Bay Packers (13-3)
2. Chicago Bears (11-5)
3. Minnesota Vikings (6-10)
4. Detroit Lions (3-13)

NFC South
1. New Orleans Saints (11-5)
2. Atlanta Falcons (9-7)
3. Carolina Panthers (8-8)
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers (5-11)

NFC West
1. Arizona Cardinals (10-6)
2. San Francisco 49ers (9-7)
3. Seattle Seahawks (8-8)
4. St. Louis Rams (4-12)

NFC East
1. Philadelphia Eagles (12-4)
2. New York Giants (9-7)
3. Dallas Cowboys (5-11)
4. Washington Redskins (4-12)

Wild Card

3. Titans over 6. Steelers
5. Texans over 4. Bengals

3. Saints over 6. Falcons
4. Cardinals over 5. Bears

Divisional

1. Patriots over 5. Texans
3. Titans over 2. Chargers

1. Packers over 4. Cardinals
3. Saints over 2. Eagles

Conference

3. Titans over 1. Patriots
1. Packers over 3. Saints

Super Bowl

Packers over Titans

From the Week 1 Discussion thread...Switch the Bears and Vikings, Titans and Colts (1 game difference) and give the Cowboys a few more wins and it looks pretty good :P The NFC Divisional looks pretty realistic.

Flyboy
12-30-2009, 05:52 PM
Geo was pretty accurate.

No clue. But I miss my buddy. :(

tjsunstein
12-30-2009, 06:26 PM
The Packers lost seven games by an average of 3 points last year, something like that. If we turn one touchdown into a field goal in those games, we would have won 5 and sent 2 to overtime. I'm pretty optimistic our luck will be much better this year with Capers running the defense.

I like being right in this sense but I feel like any team that we face in the playoffs will have a legitimate shot at beating us if they use what the Steelers did on offense. Spread us out and play keep away from Woodson.

The Great Jonathan Vilma
01-02-2010, 03:30 PM
So I was off on an off season prediction? Who cares? I was wrong about Delhomme turning it around too and carolina making the playoffs again.

It happens, last year I predicted nearly everything right, people have off years, but the thing you should keep in mind.

NFL.com's stats are based of yardage alone, the Jets have more YPG than anyone because they've run over 60 times more than anyone in the league, their ability to put points on the board in the run game, is good enough for tied 7th in the NFL despite all those extra carries.

It still didn't help sanchez who's looked as much a rookie as anyone the past 10 years which was the argument anyway.

Yardage is yardage. The run game has done its thing. I'm sure u did predict everything right the year prior (i'll take your word for it....), but I post this becuase you were ass enough to send me a private message on the subject previously, and have now been proven wrong.

Your comment on Sanchez is laughable. I question who you have watched over the past "10 years"....

cvv84
01-02-2010, 03:47 PM
I like being right in this sense but I feel like any team that we face in the playoffs will have a legitimate shot at beating us if they use what the Steelers did on offense. Spread us out and play keep away from Woodson.

Really though thats the key to beating the 3-4. We also run our defense almost identical to the way the Steelers run their's so I wasn't really suprised by the big output from them. I think our lack of experience is going to hurt more than anything. We're the youngest team again for what, the 3rd year in a row? That and if McCarthy reverts to his homerun style offense that hurt us early in the season and started to show through again last week I think we'd be in trouble. I guess thats why we play the games though. Anyone is capable of winning.

Boston
01-02-2010, 10:59 PM

The Packers didn't blitz Roethlisberger at all during that game. Which, as we can see, probably wasn't the best game plan.

tjsunstein
01-03-2010, 11:43 AM
The Packers didn't blitz Roethlisberger at all during that game. Which, as we can see, probably wasn't the best game plan.

Very hard to blitz when the opposition has 5 wide. You have to trust your front three in that situation. Although they didn't do awful when calling the plays, hindsight is 20/20. It's hard for us to be creative with our blitzes when you have such liabilities in the secondary beyond our starters.

Hate to turn this into the Packers discussion thread so I'll take it elsewhere after this post.