PDA

View Full Version : Cleaning the crap off a new PC

nobodyinparticular
08-11-2009, 07:23 PM
I just bought a new laptop and just like any other laptop, it came with a bunch of crap on it--"shovelware" as I like to call it. I am fairly tech savvy when it comes to PCs, so I know all the easy ways to get rid of this stuff. The problem is that the easiest way--installing a clean version of Windows--doesn't seem to be an option as I was not given a Windows disk and I can't find any Vista torrents that I feel are fully trustworthy. I've uninstalled through "Add/Remove Programs" all that I can, but now there is the difficulty of dealing with all the crap buried in the registry.

Can you guys help me? Either walk me through dealing with the registry or point me to a trustworthy torrent for Vista Home Premium. The Windows license is for and OEM version of course, and I don't know if it matters that it's a Toshiba. When I DLed a torrent for my wife's version of Windows XP in order to reformat the HDD, I had to make sure that I got the Dell version of Windows XP OEM.

Oh yeah, it's x86 (32-bit).

Brent
08-11-2009, 07:55 PM
they didnt give you a recovery disk? if not, check manufacturer site for one.

Stash
08-11-2009, 08:16 PM
Theoretically they should send you one if you ask, that's what I did with my old Dell POS.

nobodyinparticular
08-11-2009, 08:19 PM
Theoretically they should send you one if you ask, that's what I did with my old Dell POS.

For real? Alright! I will do that. How did you contact Dell for the disk?

crites09
08-11-2009, 08:21 PM

Its a toshiba right? There should be a program called.. Toshiba Recovery CD or something in the program list

Also I have copy of vista thats good. The right version as well

djp
08-11-2009, 08:28 PM
ASUS did that to me on my laptop. They gave me a recovery disk but when I recovered, it just re-installed all the old software that came with it.

nobodyinparticular
08-11-2009, 08:31 PM
Its a toshiba right? There should be a program called.. Toshiba Recovery CD or something in the program list

Also I have copy of vista thats good. The right version as well

Yeah, I have that program, but that would copy everything--including the shovelware--onto the recovery disk. It would be running in place.

Stash
08-11-2009, 08:38 PM
I contacted customer service through their website. My PC didn't come with a disk either, it had some other recovery feature but I didn't want to use that. I actually wanted a disk so I could install it on another PC (I don't even know if that's possible with Dell stuff but that's beside the point), so I lied to them and told them I needed a disk to re-install the OS because they never gave me one. So they gave me the "replacement recovery media" and it came with notification that it I'm supposed to return it afterwards. I never did, that was 6-8 months ago.

ImBrotherCain
08-11-2009, 09:24 PM
I work for Best Buy in the computers.

Even if you remove everything and then create the recovery disk it will restore it to factory settings... Honestly the only way to do it is go though the Registry and remove it that way

I personally dont know how to do it but i know Geek Squad offers a service and will do it plus some other stuff for 40$

nobodyinparticular
08-11-2009, 09:33 PM

Even if you remove everything and then create the recovery disk it will restore it to factory settings... Honestly the only way to do it is go though the Registry and remove it that way

I personally dont know how to do it but i know Geek Squad offers a service and will do it plus some other stuff for 40$

Which is ridiculous. That's why I want a Windows Vista .iso file to just entirely re-format my HDD.

bwillie26
08-11-2009, 09:46 PM

Not true. My recovery disk will only restore basic and bare minimum settings. Mine is also a Dell.

ImBrotherCain
08-11-2009, 10:24 PM
Which is ridiculous. That's why I want a Windows Vista .iso file to just entirely re-format my HDD.

Well the other stuff they do is worth it... they also do about 300 little tweaks to make it quicker

Not true. My recovery disk will only restore basic and bare minimum settings. Mine is also a Dell.

Idk what to tell you... thats what ours does. Not everything is the same

crites09
08-11-2009, 10:45 PM

You have home basic right?

NVM sh*tty.. I have a ISO for Home Basic

Saints 4 Lyfe
08-11-2009, 10:47 PM
mine came with a image already. all i had to do was go to F10 and reformat from there.

thefalconer
08-12-2009, 12:47 AM
i want windows 7. can anyone help me with this?

niel89
08-12-2009, 01:26 AM
This is what I use and it seems to do a good job of clearing things off

http://www.revouninstaller.com/revo_uninstaller_free_download.html

nrk
08-12-2009, 01:29 PM
I suggest giving Windows 7 a try. I'm really liking it better than Vista.

i want windows 7. can anyone help me with this?

I can probably help you.

yourfavestoner
08-12-2009, 04:26 PM
Install and run Mac Leopard on it.
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2008/10/20/macosx_on_a_pc/