PDA

View Full Version : Desean Jackson

soybean
08-12-2009, 11:40 PM
My favorite player in the league so I decided to do a little research on how he's been doing.

per Philly.com
The best player in Eagles camp, through a week and change of full-squad workouts, has been No. 10.

per Lesean McCoy
He's by far the best wide receiver I've ever played with or against. I think it's his heart, man. He wants to be great, he wants to be the best. You can see it in the way he runs his routes, the way he comes out every day ready to work. He's one of the hardest-working guys on the team

per RotoWorld
Eagles coach Andy Reid says DeSean Jackson is "ready to take the next step."
Everyone else in the world has heaped praise on Jackson; Reid is just the latest. Few players have created as much buzz as Jackson in the preseason. While the Eagles are known for spreading the ball around, they didn't spread it when they had Terrell Owens and it's sounding like they may not this year with Jackson.

per RotoWorld
DeSean Jackson and Donovan McNabb have picked up right where they left off before Jackson's minor knee tweak.
"Can't emphasize it enough. McNabb and Jackson have looked completely in sync all camp," was the Inquirer's tweet. McNabb hasn't had this kind of chemistry with one receiver since the first Terrell Owens year. The hype-machine is in overdrive for Jackson so you'll likely have to reach for him if you want his upside on draft day.

per ESPN
Second-year receiver DeSean Jackson has been dominant in camp. The Eagles have a talented secondary, but not even All-Pro Asante Samuel has come close to covering Jackson.

per ESPN
Right now, though, it's Jackson who's drawing the most attention in camp. He's so quick off the line that no one can get a jam on him.

per ESPN
Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson has been unstoppable at training camp.

soybean
08-12-2009, 11:41 PM
You have no IDEA how good it's going to feel to be able to say "I told you so"

D-Unit
08-13-2009, 12:34 PM
Also, Eagles wide receiver DeSean Jackson suffered a hyperextended left knee Saturday when he got tangled up with cornerback Asante Samuel at practice at training camp. Jackson was carted off the field... Just sayin'. He's not built to last. haha.

If he's just a deep threat, then I really like him. But I don't think he's a complete WR. He's barely 85 pounds in a soaked shirt. ha. I have yet to see him take a route across the middle. ...and he's not the ideal red zone target. Does he, can he block? I think he can still be a very very good WR as a deep threat, but still just a 1 trick pony.

Maybe he will prove me wrong. Should be exciting to watch him develop.

Thumper
08-13-2009, 03:36 PM
Yeah, he did injure his knee but he was back out the next day doing more of the same.

He is just a deep threat? No, he didn't go deep often last year. He doesn't run routes over the middle? I saw him run routes over the middle every game. 85 pounds? Maybe closer to 185 pounds now. Yes, he can block but he's not the best but he does give his all.

You will be eating crow, and I'll call it now, he is and will be better than Roy Williams this season.

FlyingElvis
08-13-2009, 03:41 PM
I loved him coming into last year's draft and still think he'll prove all the doubters wrong. He runs all routes, tries to block (though at 185 is not likely to earhole many guys ala Hines Ward) and plays with a chip on his shoulder.

What's not to like?

I'm also quite happy with the prospect of keeping him for a 9th round pick in one of my $$$ leagues. Here's hoping those of us who expected good things are right. A WR2 in round 9 is a total steal. If he really does turn into DMac's true #1 WR that would be great for me.

D-Unit
08-13-2009, 05:37 PM
Yeah, he did injure his knee but he was back out the next day doing more of the same.

He is just a deep threat? No, he didn't go deep often last year. He doesn't run routes over the middle? I saw him run routes over the middle every game. 85 pounds? Maybe closer to 185 pounds now. Yes, he can block but he's not the best but he does give his all.

You will be eating crow, and I'll call it now, he is and will be better than Roy Williams this season.
Who cares about Roy Williams? Our offense w/out TO will see the ball distributed much better. Guys like Miles Austin, Sam Hurd, Martellus Bennett and even the RBs will catch a lot of passes from Romo. Roy can join the party, but he's far from a traditional #1 WR target.

I loved Desean leading up to the draft. I even like him now. But to call him a diamond when he's really a spade is just not acurate.

He's a burner, not a possession WR. It's nice to hype up guys, but I swear it sounds like he's the next Jerry Rice in here.

Flyboy
08-13-2009, 06:04 PM
Was easily BY FAR one of my favorite prospects in last year's draft. I'll be the first one to say "I told ya so".

Thumper
08-13-2009, 06:09 PM
Remember when everyone wanted Limas Sweed. Lol, look at it now, DeSean is the next Steve Smith and Limas had 6 catches...

D-Unit
08-13-2009, 06:17 PM
I'd still take Devin Thomas ahead of Desean, but it won't show up on the stat sheet with Campbell at QB. I'd take Desean over Donnie Avery though. ...and I like him more than Royal too.

eaglesalltheway
08-14-2009, 06:46 AM
Lets put it this way, the hype machine is in full swing, but DeSean has done more than enough to get it there. He is doing just about everything well. As far as him not going over the middle, D-Unit, (not trying to be offensive here, but it is what it is) you are talking out of your ass. Either that, or you simply haven't seen enough of him to comment on him. I can't tell you how many times he'd go over the middle and he'd get absolutely hammered, and I'd just hope he'd get back up. And every time he did, though sometimes slower than others. He was always right back in the action though.

As far as blocking goes, we know he'll never be a beast blocking WR, that's just the way it is. But it isn't due to a lack of effort, he is out there all the time downfield, doing whatever he can to get in the way or slow down defneders, and was crucial to a lot of big plays las tyear in extending them further, or just enough to get us a TD. An example of that is Brian Westbrook on the screen last year against the Vikings.

DeSean really does do it all, short, intermediate and deep routes on the outsides or through the middle of the defense, as well as running the ball. I expect big big things from him this season, and as long as he is healthy, I am almost certain I will not be let down...

DMWSackMachine
08-14-2009, 05:02 PM
He is the second coming of Steve Smith.

85/1200/8 this year. Book it.

And **** you guys for getting him.

camp_eagles
08-14-2009, 05:11 PM
how amazing was Desean's end around yesterday

Thumper
08-14-2009, 05:41 PM
how amazing was Desean's end around yesterday

He turned a 5 yard loss into a 9 yard gain, people say you can't do stuff in the NFL that you did in college but DeSean is so quick and fast that he still can. DeSean is great.

eaglesalltheway
08-15-2009, 09:24 AM
He is the second coming of Steve Smith.

85/1200/8 this year. Book it.

And **** you guys for getting him.

Wait a minute, back the **** up... We got a Cowboys fan in here declaring this...

'nuff said.

u8pp
08-22-2009, 10:40 PM
Dude's going to be a superstar. I remember being heckled and outcast on another site because I said they should take him instead of Sweed, Kelly or Thomas. Wow, talk about fail.

Caddy
08-24-2009, 05:12 AM
Was easily my favourite player of last years draft. I was so disappointed that the Buc's got Dexter instead of Desean. I wish we'd just taken him in the 1st round.

eaglesalltheway
08-24-2009, 04:49 PM
Dude's going to be a superstar. I remember being heckled and outcast on another site because I said they should take him instead of Sweed, Kelly or Thomas. Wow, talk about fail.

I too wanted Sweed, or even Kelly over DeSean, and man was I wrong...

D-Unit
08-24-2009, 05:54 PM
Lets put it this way, the hype machine is in full swing, but DeSean has done more than enough to get it there. He is doing just about everything well. As far as him not going over the middle, D-Unit, (not trying to be offensive here, but it is what it is) you are talking out of your ass. Either that, or you simply haven't seen enough of him to comment on him. I can't tell you how many times he'd go over the middle and he'd get absolutely hammered, and I'd just hope he'd get back up. And every time he did, though sometimes slower than others. He was always right back in the action though.

As far as blocking goes, we know he'll never be a beast blocking WR, that's just the way it is. But it isn't due to a lack of effort, he is out there all the time downfield, doing whatever he can to get in the way or slow down defneders, and was crucial to a lot of big plays las tyear in extending them further, or just enough to get us a TD. An example of that is Brian Westbrook on the screen last year against the Vikings.

DeSean really does do it all, short, intermediate and deep routes on the outsides or through the middle of the defense, as well as running the ball. I expect big big things from him this season, and as long as he is healthy, I am almost certain I will not be let down...
I wanted the Cowboys to draft him, but at least I was honest in what he can and can't do. He's not a physical receiver, he has problems if you jam him off the line, blocking sucks, and is not a great red zone target.

He's got great hands, is awesome in the open field, has speed to burn and is a real WR and not just a return man ala Ted Ginn.

If you keep running him across the middle, you'll break him. DO it.

D-Unit
08-24-2009, 05:57 PM
Yeah, I dunno why you would ever think that. Sweed and Kelly over Desean??? Devin Thomas I could see. Sweed and Kelly.. bleh.

Da-Phins
08-24-2009, 06:12 PM
I wanted the Cowboys to draft him, but at least I was honest in what he can and can't do. He's not a physical receiver, he has problems if you jam him off the line, blocking sucks, and is not a great red zone target.

He's got great hands, is awesome in the open field, has speed to burn and is a real WR and not just a return man ala Ted Ginn.

:rolleyes:

Ginn is more then a return man. He doesnt even return kicks anymore. He's one of our starting WR's and is turning into a damn good one at that. Its nite and day compared to what he could do as a rookie to what he can do now. He's on the verge of a breakout season this season and the coaches has nothing but praise for him.

eaglesalltheway
08-24-2009, 06:14 PM

I'm not the one making decisions, so maybe you should send this to Reid...

You said he doesn't do these things, i.e. going across the middle, when there is plenty of proof that he has and does. Yeah he may not be the best blocker, but he does all he can do and has successfully gotten in the way enough to help break some plays for us. That is all we can hope for. DeSean can be a decent Red Zone target, though will never be a good one, I agree there, he just needs to be used better, implementing guick slants.

As for his inability to beat the jam, he's made tons of progress there, he won't overpower many CBs, but he uses his quickness in both his feet and hands to beat it. I want people to jam him, because he was beating the jam all camp and so far in the preseason.

The fact is, you said things that aren't true.
You said he doesn't go over the middle. He does.

He isn't physical, I agree, no one said he was.

Problems with the jam? Jam him, I dare you. (lol)

Blocking is not good, no one said it would be, but his effort has certainly helped us a lot

No one said he was a great red-zone target...

There are very few truly complete WRs in this league, but DeSean runs all the different routes asked of him, he is a complete WR in the fact that he can run any route asked of him, and contribute in many aspects of the game.

You will almost never find a receiver who is very good in these three aspects of play: Receiving, blocking, and special teams. Hell, even our best WRs can only do two of these things, and DeSean is very good as a receiver and a returner. He isn't a great blocker, no one will debate that, but he has helped us in some plays with his ability to get in the way, for lack of a better word. My point for bringing this up... The greatest receivers in the NFL still weren't great in all three of these areas, but were great in at least two. In no way am I saying DeSean is comparable to the greats at the position right now, but as it stands at this moment, he is both a great returner and a great receiver, not to the level of the great, but he has the talent to further improve in all these areas.

I personally would love to know how DeSean is a one trick pony...

eaglesalltheway
08-24-2009, 06:16 PM
:rolleyes:

Ginn is more then a return man. He doesnt even return kicks anymore. He's one of our starting WR's and is turning into a damn good one at that. Its nite and day compared to what he could do as a rookie to what he can do now. He's on the verge of a breakout season this season and the coaches has nothing but praise for him.

Believe it or not, I agree with you. Ginn has shown that he could break out this season. (Isn't it his third year...) Now I'm not saying he's going to have a huge huge year and fight Larry Fitgerald for best WR, but I think he will prove to be more of a WR this season, and not just a return man. I have noticed these things in the limitted time I've seen of him, and I was a big skeptic of his when he was new in the NFL, but he is showing he can be a potentially very good WR.

Da-Phins
08-24-2009, 06:25 PM
Believe it or not, I agree with you. Ginn has shown that he could break out this season. (Isn't it his third year...) Now I'm not saying he's going to have a huge huge year and fight Larry Fitgerald for best WR, but I think he will prove to be more of a WR this season, and not just a return man. I have noticed these things in the limitted time I've seen of him, and I was a big skeptic of his when he was new in the NFL, but he is showing he can be a potentially very good WR.

Yeah its his 3rd year. I was pissed when we drafted him esp with Quinn there. I fig he would be nothing more then a good returner and an below average-average WR. He proved me wrong on that. He has good hands, hes using that speed of his on a consistent bases while running routes, his route running is getting good and now he is making some catches across the middle. Something he didnt do much of before. I dont see him ever being a great WR, but a really good WR isnt out of the question.

eaglesalltheway
08-24-2009, 06:28 PM
Yeah its his 3rd year. I was pissed when we drafted him esp with Quinn there. I fig he would be nothing more then a good returner and an below average-average WR. He proved me wrong on that. He has good hands, hes using that speed of his on a consistent bases while running routes, his route running is getting good and now he is making some catches across the middle. Something he didnt do much of before. I dont see him ever being a great WR, but a really good WR isnt out of the question.

His route running is what made me switch my thoguht process. With his matural speed, both aspects (speed and route running) will seem better, the speed makes the route running a little better, and vice versa. He still needs to work a little bit yet, but he has shown great improvement on basically a complete lack of route running as a rookie. He will be the source of quite a few big plays for the Dolphins this year.

Da-Phins
08-24-2009, 06:33 PM
His route running is what made me switch my thoguht process. With his matural speed, both aspects (speed and route running) will seem better, the speed makes the route running a little better, and vice versa. He still needs to work a little bit yet, but he has shown great improvement on basically a complete lack of route running as a rookie. He will be the source of quite a few big plays for the Dolphins this year.

Alot of fans and local media think that Pennington is holding Ginn back from big plays due to Pennington's lack of arm strength.

Thumper
08-24-2009, 06:37 PM
Ginn's big plays will be limited as long as Chad Pennington is his QB. Now, if Chad Henne got in there... Ginn IMO would blow up just because he could use his incredible speed to make plays downfield instead of just getting throws underneath all the time and being forced to make plays.

EDIT: Wow, I swear I wrote this before you posted that, I promise!

eaglesalltheway
08-24-2009, 06:38 PM
Alot of fans and local media think that Pennington is holding Ginn back from big plays due to Pennington's lack of arm strength.

Though this is partially true, (Pennington has enoguh arm strength in my book, I've always thought his "lack of arm strength" was a little overblown, though there is some limitations with him, I do admit) I don't think this will truly hold Ginn back. It may limit his possibilities, but from a developmental standpoint, he may be able to do it, just not asked to because of Penningtons lack of elite arm strength.

Da-Phins
08-24-2009, 06:46 PM
Though this is partially true, (Pennington has enoguh arm strength in my book, I've always thought his "lack of arm strength" was a little overblown, though there is some limitations with him, I do admit) I don't think this will truly hold Ginn back. It may limit his possibilities, but from a developmental standpoint, he may be able to do it, just not asked to because of Penningtons lack of elite arm strength.

Im kinda iffy on the whole Pennington arm thing. He made one deep pass to Ginn against the Seahawks and it was perfect right on the money. Then there was a play against the bills that would of been a touchdown cause Ginn clearly got past his man but he had to slow down and jump catch the ball. Pennington couldnt hit him in stride on that play and it wasnt too far down field. Aslong as Pennington is under center, there wont be many deep plays called. Once its Henne's turn, I feel that is when Dan Henning will really open the playbook and go deep.

eaglesalltheway
08-24-2009, 06:50 PM
Im kinda iffy on the whole Pennington arm thing. He made one deep pass to Ginn against the Seahawks and it was perfect right on the money. Then there was a play against the bills that would of been a touchdown cause Ginn clearly got past his man but he had to slow down and jump catch the ball. Pennington couldnt hit him in stride on that play and it wasnt too far down field. Aslong as Pennington is under center, there wont be many deep plays called. Once its Henne's turn, I feel that is when Dan Henning will really open the playbook and go deep.

For sure, Henne doesn't have elite arm strength, but it is better than Pennington's, and for sure will allow more versatility with the passing options due to his arm strength, both in deep routes and as well as some routes to the sideline.

Da-Phins
08-24-2009, 06:53 PM
For sure, Henne doesn't have elite arm strength, but it is better than Pennington's, and for sure will allow more versatility with the passing options due to his arm strength, both in deep routes and as well as some routes to the sideline.

Yeah Henne arm is slightly above average but compared to Pennington, he has a cannon.

D-Unit
08-24-2009, 07:18 PM
With Ted Ginn, you guys are giving him the benefit of the doubt. For me, it's "Show Me" time. He hasn't proved he's a good WR in this league yet.

D-Unit
08-24-2009, 07:23 PM
I'm not the one making decisions, so maybe you should send this to Reid...

You said he doesn't do these things, i.e. going across the middle, when there is plenty of proof that he has and does. Yeah he may not be the best blocker, but he does all he can do and has successfully gotten in the way enough to help break some plays for us. That is all we can hope for. DeSean can be a decent Red Zone target, though will never be a good one, I agree there, he just needs to be used better, implementing guick slants.

As for his inability to beat the jam, he's made tons of progress there, he won't overpower many CBs, but he uses his quickness in both his feet and hands to beat it. I want people to jam him, because he was beating the jam all camp and so far in the preseason.

The fact is, you said things that aren't true.
You said he doesn't go over the middle. He does.

He isn't physical, I agree, no one said he was.

Problems with the jam? Jam him, I dare you. (lol)

Blocking is not good, no one said it would be, but his effort has certainly helped us a lot

No one said he was a great red-zone target...

There are very few truly complete WRs in this league, but DeSean runs all the different routes asked of him, he is a complete WR in the fact that he can run any route asked of him, and contribute in many aspects of the game.

You will almost never find a receiver who is very good in these three aspects of play: Receiving, blocking, and special teams. Hell, even our best WRs can only do two of these things, and DeSean is very good as a receiver and a returner. He isn't a great blocker, no one will debate that, but he has helped us in some plays with his ability to get in the way, for lack of a better word. My point for bringing this up... The greatest receivers in the NFL still weren't great in all three of these areas, but were great in at least two. In no way am I saying DeSean is comparable to the greats at the position right now, but as it stands at this moment, he is both a great returner and a great receiver, not to the level of the great, but he has the talent to further improve in all these areas.

I personally would love to know how DeSean is a one trick pony...
OK, I really like Desean Jackson, but just because I'm saying he has weaknesses, you want to make it out to be that I think he's some kind of bust. Get off your high horses. The guy as I pointed out has issues that he'll have difficulty overcoming. He's great at a lot of things, but a complete WR, he is not. ...maybe someday, but he'll need to work on it.

eaglesalltheway
08-24-2009, 07:34 PM
With Ted Ginn, you guys are giving him the benefit of the doubt. For me, it's "Show Me" time. He hasn't proved he's a good WR in this league yet.

Just like what I'm talking about with DeSean, you can see changes in their game that show you they are making that next step. I'm not sure how much football you've played, but it is something I notice a lot because I played the game. Ginn has shown improvements in his route running, noticeable ones, and that will only help make him have a bigger impact with the Dolphins offense, just like DeSEan is doing with the Eagles.

eaglesalltheway
08-24-2009, 07:44 PM
OK, I really like Desean Jackson, but just because I'm saying he has weaknesses, you want to make it out to be that I think he's some kind of bust. Get off your high horses. The guy as I pointed out has issues that he'll have difficulty overcoming. He's great at a lot of things, but a complete WR, he is not. ...maybe someday, but he'll need to work on it.

So I'm on a high horse now? Glad you told me.

Listen this is serious, my mentality is more prone to make me seem more like a piece of garbage than on some high horse. Perhaps the internet is skewing how you are perceiving my posts, but in no way am I on a high horse or am I talking down to you. I am simply explaining things how I see and and why I feel you are wrong.

DeSean isn't a complete WR in the area that he is monster blocker, a great returner, and a great receiver, but name me one WR who excells in all three aspects of that game. There isn't, but the great ones excell in two of those areas, and DeSean is good at both. In terms of his responsibilities as a receiver, particualrly his routes and route running, combined with footwork and technique, he is a complete WR. You will see that this season, though admittedly I don't know why you don't see it now, or at least the potential.

Where we agree...

He is small, light, is nowhere near Hines Ward as a blocker, and isn't an ideal red zone threat.

That is the common ground, but without trying to sound like I'm on a high horse, you will be proven wrong when it comes to DeSean about many things, I have seen the things in him that you haven't had the opportunity to. I was at just about every training camp practice and have seen every snap he's played. You haven't, and maybe that's why you can't see it, but as someone who has been skeptical of him since he got here, and has seen as much of him as almost any fan, and almost as much as some coaches (lol), I can tell you he has taken the next step into becoming a better overall WR who can run any route asked of him against any coverage against any personnel.

D-Unit
08-25-2009, 01:49 PM
So I'm on a high horse now? Glad you told me.

Listen this is serious, my mentality is more prone to make me seem more like a piece of garbage than on some high horse. Perhaps the internet is skewing how you are perceiving my posts, but in no way am I on a high horse or am I talking down to you. I am simply explaining things how I see and and why I feel you are wrong.

DeSean isn't a complete WR in the area that he is monster blocker, a great returner, and a great receiver, but name me one WR who excells in all three aspects of that game. There isn't, but the great ones excell in two of those areas, and DeSean is good at both. In terms of his responsibilities as a receiver, particualrly his routes and route running, combined with footwork and technique, he is a complete WR. You will see that this season, though admittedly I don't know why you don't see it now, or at least the potential.

Where we agree...

He is small, light, is nowhere near Hines Ward as a blocker, and isn't an ideal red zone threat.

That is the common ground, but without trying to sound like I'm on a high horse, you will be proven wrong when it comes to DeSean about many things, I have seen the things in him that you haven't had the opportunity to. I was at just about every training camp practice and have seen every snap he's played. You haven't, and maybe that's why you can't see it, but as someone who has been skeptical of him since he got here, and has seen as much of him as almost any fan, and almost as much as some coaches (lol), I can tell you he has taken the next step into becoming a better overall WR who can run any route asked of him against any coverage against any personnel.
Whoa, let me clarify. I didn't mean to point you out as being on a high horse. Just the way everyone jumped on and started saying how they were high on Desean all along, he's my favorite guy in the draft, I knew he was going to be so good, blah blah blah... it was like they were propping themselves up. Which is perfectly fine with me, but I mean come on.... between the two of us, we agreed that he's got some things to overcome. The fact that I pointed those things out and got jumped on because of it.... it's why I said the things I said. I wanted the Cowboys to draft him. Anybody in the Cowboys forum knows how high many of us felt about him. I was sick that you guys got him at such a deal. We talked about him as a Top 5 pick! But anyways... we wanted him for specific reasons, his speed complimented TO. That was the thought. Him replacing TO was never a thought... for the reasons I noted before. I don't consider him a true #1 WR.
A great weapon yes, but we're not talking Calvin Johnson here. Jackson has some limitations. Doesn't make him a bad player by any means. Just means he has to focus on taking advantage of strengths and continuing to try to improve his weaknesses. ...and there are some despite what you read here in this thread. lol.

eaglesalltheway
08-25-2009, 07:44 PM
Whoa, let me clarify. I didn't mean to point you out as being on a high horse. Just the way everyone jumped on and started saying how they were high on Desean all along, he's my favorite guy in the draft, I knew he was going to be so good, blah blah blah... it was like they were propping themselves up. Which is perfectly fine with me, but I mean come on.... between the two of us, we agreed that he's got some things to overcome. The fact that I pointed those things out and got jumped on because of it.... it's why I said the things I said. I wanted the Cowboys to draft him. Anybody in the Cowboys forum knows how high many of us felt about him. I was sick that you guys got him at such a deal. We talked about him as a Top 5 pick! But anyways... we wanted him for specific reasons, his speed complimented TO. That was the thought. Him replacing TO was never a thought... for the reasons I noted before. I don't consider him a true #1 WR.
A great weapon yes, but we're not talking Calvin Johnson here. Jackson has some limitations. Doesn't make him a bad player by any means. Just means he has to focus on taking advantage of strengths and continuing to try to improve his weaknesses. ...and there are some despite what you read here in this thread. lol.

There are complete WRs in the NFL besides WRs like TO, and that is the point I am trying to make. My main disagreements are you saying he doesn't go over the middle and that he has trouble beating the jam. He has already shown in his games last season that he can and will go over the middle. He has shown in this preseason and TC (though you probably haven't had the opportunity to see it) that he can effectively beat the jam on a consistent basis. You may not have seen it to believe it yet, but I've seen it first hand, less than 20 feet from me, about 100 times (not exaggerating), and his hands are so quick, and he has just enough strength to take advantage of the man defending him and either avoid him or get him off balance or concerned, and beat him. I am not just pulling this out of thin air either, you can check my posts in the Training camp thread, I'm sure I posted these things somewhere.

D-Unit
08-25-2009, 07:47 PM
There are complete WRs in the NFL besides WRs like TO, and that is the point I am trying to make. My main disagreements are you saying he doesn't go over the middle and that he has trouble beating the jam. He has already shown in his games last season that he can and will go over the middle. He has shown in this preseason and TC (though you probably haven't had the opportunity to see it) that he can effectively beat the jam on a consistent basis. You may not have seen it to believe it yet, but I've seen it first hand, less than 20 feet from me, about 100 times (not exaggerating), and his hands are so quick, and he has just enough strength to take advantage of the man defending him and either avoid him or get him off balance or concerned, and beat him. I am not just pulling this out of thin air either, you can check my posts in the Training camp thread, I'm sure I posted these things somewhere.
Do you think he or Maclin will end up being the Eagles #1 WR?

Thumper
08-25-2009, 08:05 PM
Do you think he or Maclin will end up being the Eagles #1 WR?

there is no #1 in the Eagles offense, you have an X, Y and Z receiver.

DeSean Jackson is the Z, Jeremy Maclin is being trained as the X and Jason Avant is the Y but he will eventually be usurped by Curtis when he has to move to the Y when Maclin takes the X.

The Z is the playmaker, he goes deep more often and he is usually the faster guy. Ex- Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson

The X is the possession receiver ex- Reggie Wayne, Torry Holt

The Y is the slot receiver.

There is no #1 which is part of the reason why the production is so spread out amongst the receivers.

D-Unit
08-25-2009, 08:13 PM
there is no #1 in the Eagles offense, you have an X, Y and Z receiver.

DeSean Jackson is the Z, Jeremy Maclin is being trained as the X and Jason Avant is the Y but he will eventually be usurped by Curtis when he has to move to the Y when Maclin takes the X.

The Z is the playmaker, he goes deep more often and he is usually the faster guy. Ex- Marvin Harrison, Chad Johnson

The X is the possession receiver ex- Reggie Wayne, Torry Holt

The Y is the slot receiver.

There is no #1 which is part of the reason why the production is so spread out amongst the receivers.
I understand that. But who is Donovan's first read? For Peyton it was Marvin (Z), for Warner/Bulger it was Holt (X)... etc.

Thumper
08-25-2009, 08:20 PM
He really likes to throw to DeSean

D-Unit
08-25-2009, 08:25 PM
He really likes to throw to DeSean
Haha. Yeah, I bet he really disliked throwing to Maclin last year. :D

Nevermind. I can tell this is going nowhere. He's damn good at what he does, I'll leave it at that.

Thumper
08-25-2009, 08:32 PM
I'm lost, McNabb likes to throw to DeSean more right now especially considering that Maclin doesn't start... what are you talking about? :/

D-Unit
08-26-2009, 12:36 AM
I'm lost, McNabb likes to throw to DeSean more right now especially considering that Maclin doesn't start... what are you talking about? :/
Nevermind. Apparently the question I asked is way over you head.

u8pp
08-26-2009, 02:30 PM
Kid's going to be a star. I pity Eagles fans who think he'll just be a #2/return man.

u8pp
08-26-2009, 02:34 PM

Well, as long as you weren't one of those who said they'd rather have Beanie Wells over Donald Brown or LeSean McCoy.

FlyingElvis
08-26-2009, 02:44 PM
I understand that. But who is Donovan's first read? For Peyton it was Marvin (Z), for Warner/Bulger it was Holt (X)... etc.

I assume that depends on the play calling, but maybe your question is over my head, too.

From the preseason games it certainly looks like the play calling is heavily favoring Desean w/end arounds on top of passing targets. In my book that makes him the #1 target.

eaglesalltheway
08-26-2009, 04:21 PM

It all depends on the play. I know this sounds redundant, and it is, but you have reads based off of your play call and what you see in the defense. As for first read, in many passing situations the reads are from the left hand side of the field to the right, and then back to the left, its the natural way for a right handed QB, so whoever is farthest to the left is technically the first read. Donovan is known for distribution, and doesn't single guys out, but for the forseeable, DeSean will be perceived as our #1 because he will have the most impact, (Receptions, yards, whatever you want it to entail) though he may not always be the target or first read.

eaglesalltheway
08-26-2009, 04:22 PM
Well, as long as you weren't one of those who said they'd rather have Beanie Wells over Donald Brown or LeSean McCoy.

Nope, for me it was Moreno, then Brown and McCoy (real close, liked them both a lot) and then Beanie...

mellojello
08-26-2009, 08:13 PM
eaglesalltheway, you're basically 100% correct about Desean. The only thing that was a fluke about last year was that he only got into the endzone like 3 times. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 2td's in game 1. Easily good for 10 td's next year. You simply cannot play him man-on-man. I don't think McNabb really realized how good or fast Desean was last year. Even at the end of the year, in the NFC championship game when Desean beat Cromartie, McNabb underthrew the ball. Fortunately, Desean bailed him out by coming up with the nice catch. Don't get me wrong, McNabb made a great read, but just a bit underthrown. Regarding going over the middle, obviously, anyone who actually watched the Eagles last year knows he's can run all of the routes and can effectively go over the middle. That's not even a topic up for debate, at least not a serious debate. What I don't think most realize is that Desean is MUCH smarter than people realize. After securing the ball, he's excellent at preparing for the hit. I'd bet an awful of money that's something he has practiced quite a bit (amonst many things I believe he has practiced). That's just one example of the many small things that Desean is very, very good at. As an Eagles fan, you probably know what I'm talking about. The idea that he's a naturally gifted athlete (or just relying on speed) is non-sense. Nobody, especially at his size, gets that good at all of those little things without lots and lots of practice.

Thumper
08-27-2009, 12:28 AM
^^
Wow, I like DeSean but wow... IDK about all of that.

eaglesalltheway
08-27-2009, 01:05 PM
eaglesalltheway, you're basically 100% correct about Desean. The only thing that was a fluke about last year was that he only got into the endzone like 3 times. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets 2td's in game 1. Easily good for 10 td's next year. You simply cannot play him man-on-man. I don't think McNabb really realized how good or fast Desean was last year. Even at the end of the year, in the NFC championship game when Desean beat Cromartie, McNabb underthrew the ball. Fortunately, Desean bailed him out by coming up with the nice catch. Don't get me wrong, McNabb made a great read, but just a bit underthrown. Regarding going over the middle, obviously, anyone who actually watched the Eagles last year knows he's can run all of the routes and can effectively go over the middle. That's not even a topic up for debate, at least not a serious debate. What I don't think most realize is that Desean is MUCH smarter than people realize. After securing the ball, he's excellent at preparing for the hit. I'd bet an awful of money that's something he has practiced quite a bit (amonst many things I believe he has practiced). That's just one example of the many small things that Desean is very, very good at. As an Eagles fan, you probably know what I'm talking about. The idea that he's a naturally gifted athlete (or just relying on speed) is non-sense. Nobody, especially at his size, gets that good at all of those little things without lots and lots of practice.

There are some things here that I agree with, and about him knowing how to take a hit is one of them. For the most part, he is able to absorb hits well or plain avoid them, much like Marvin Harrison has done throughout his career. He could improve in some areas there, as he will get lit up every once in a while, but it is something he will get with age. It is also obvious his work ethic is very good, and I don't think he gets the credit he deserves easier. He needed to work on route running during the draft process, so he worked with Jerry Rice and now route running is a strength of his. He had problems beating the jam at times last season, he has greatly improved that. He finds his weaknesses and works on them, that is one of the many things I like about DeSean.

mellojello
08-27-2009, 02:27 PM
There are some things here that I agree with, and about him knowing how to take a hit is one of them. For the most part, he is able to absorb hits well or plain avoid them, much like Marvin Harrison has done throughout his career. He could improve in some areas there, as he will get lit up every once in a while, but it is something he will get with age. It is also obvious his work ethic is very good, and I don't think he gets the credit he deserves easier. He needed to work on route running during the draft process, so he worked with Jerry Rice and now route running is a strength of his. He had problems beating the jam at times last season, he has greatly improved that. He finds his weaknesses and works on them, that is one of the many things I like about DeSean.I'm not there at the practices, so honestly, I'm more interested on what you don't agree with. Let me know your thoughts. Just one comment about the Jerry Rice comment: Desean worked with Jerry Rice for three weeks and at Desean's Pro Day workout, Jerry mentioned that Desean was an excellent route runner, an opinion of him I held prior to him ever getting together with Rice. While I don't think it hurt Desean working with Rice, Rice deserves little credit for Desean being the route runner he is. I've stated for well before the draft that he was easily the best/most polished WR in his class.

eaglesalltheway
08-30-2009, 02:36 PM
I'm not there at the practices, so honestly, I'm more interested on what you don't agree with. Let me know your thoughts. Just one comment about the Jerry Rice comment: Desean worked with Jerry Rice for three weeks and at Desean's Pro Day workout, Jerry mentioned that Desean was an excellent route runner, an opinion of him I held prior to him ever getting together with Rice. While I don't think it hurt Desean working with Rice, Rice deserves little credit for Desean being the route runner he is. I've stated for well before the draft that he was easily the best/most polished WR in his class.

Agreed for sure, he needed some improvement in his route running coming in, but it wasn't a weakness, but Rice certainly helped him in that area a lot. What I was disagreeing with was the confidence in 2 TDs week one (it can happen, I'm not as confident in that as you seem though) and 10+ TDs on the year. That may be tough for him due to his less than ideal height in the red zone, and due to the fact that we have so many weapons to turn to that can score for us.

mellojello
08-30-2009, 06:07 PM
Agreed for sure, he needed some improvement in his route running coming in, but it wasn't a weakness, but Rice certainly helped him in that area a lot. What I was disagreeing with was the confidence in 2 TDs week one (it can happen, I'm not as confident in that as you seem though) and 10+ TDs on the year. That may be tough for him due to his less than ideal height in the red zone, and due to the fact that we have so many weapons to turn to that can score for us.Ok, at least we're having a sensible conversation. Some of the misinformation you were responding to was like they weren't even talking about Desean or had really never seen him play. Obviously, I wouldn't bet the farm that he scores 2td's in game one, but I was trying to make the point that Desean really is that good and that I would not at all be shocked if it happened. Donavan is a great QB and he's going to take what the defense gives him and you're right, there are a lot of options on the Eagles. Unless he gets injured, I'll stand by my prediction that he gets into the endzone 10+ times this year, despite recognizing that he's not the ideal tall, WR red-zone target. Desean was just warming up last year...:) Good luck to your team this year.

mellojello
08-31-2009, 02:47 AM
^^
Wow, I like DeSean but wow... IDK about all of that.I'm confident time will prove me right, but since I'm a dipshit, so there's no way I could know what I'm talking about...

eaglesalltheway
08-31-2009, 06:10 AM
I'm confident time will prove me right, but since I'm a dipshit, so there's no way I could know what I'm talking about...

Why have I never responded with anything like this? It fits me perfectly and I can have a sense of humor like this...

mellojello
08-31-2009, 03:08 PM
Why have I never responded with anything like this? It fits me perfectly and I can have a sense of humor like this...Dude, you have wayyyyyyyy more patience for misinformation than I do. Desean Jackson is a one trick pony like Steve Smith or Santana Moss is a one trick pony.

eaglesalltheway
08-31-2009, 05:01 PM
Its prolly because I'm jsut relaxed about almost anything that happens, internet or elsewhere, but there are times where I just have enough, and I don't really get upset unless it is a special case or there are "personal attacks" involved, but I'm just a chill kind of person, so for the most part, It doesn't bother me.

Thumper
08-31-2009, 08:25 PM
mellojello, you push things to the brink, you're opinions aren't wrong but you're something of an internet extremist. But from what I can grasp from you, you're a Cal fan and it shows. You've homered DeSean Jackson out to the point where even I can't support you, and I'm an Eagles homer. To say that he is easily good for 10 touchdowns is ridiculous, I can't get behind that. 10 all purpose touchdowns would even be a huge stretch. I like the guy and I truly think he is the best receiver the Eagles have had in a long while but I don't know if he will ever top 10 receiving touchdowns in a season to be completely honest.

And you act as if he is perfect, DeSean is not perfect, not even close. Maybe you're still stuck watching Cal film, but this is the NFL. DeSean can be jammed at the line, he can be rattled, he is inconsistent and he has questionable hands. Just watch the Eagles games, he is still extremely exciting, but he caught only 55% of passes thrown in his direction, he was rattled by Carlos Rogers and Laron Landry big time. He dropped game winning touchdowns against the Redskins and he was absolutely jaw dropping one week and invisible the next. These things will become better as he grows as a player, but remember, we are still talking about a young player who still has a lot of room to improve.

I REALLY like DeSean and I truly think he will be the next Steve Smith/Santana Moss but I don't think he is there yet. DeSean is truly on another level, when he runs everyone else looks like they're in slow motion and he can juke any player in the game with ease. He is IMO one of the best young receivers in the game and he is better than Royal, Avery and the Dolphin's receiver and will be far and away the best receiver from the 2008 draft. I think he is already better than most speedy receivers like Ted Ginn Jr. and Devin Hester along with a few others that I missed. He is a future star and I am hoping for 75 receptions, 1000 yards and 6 touchdowns this year as a realistic goal for him. But please be realistic about it, he is not the best ever like you seem to think, he can be jammed, he can be played in man to man and he is not easily good for 10 touchdowns.

Plus, lets not jinx it just look at Michael Clayton.

camp_eagles
08-31-2009, 09:38 PM
On another Note I got Desean on my Fantasy Team along with the rest of the eagles!!! WOOOOO Homerism in fantasy never backfires.

Thumper
08-31-2009, 09:43 PM
On another Note I got Desean on my Fantasy Team along with the rest of the eagles!!! WOOOOO Homerism in fantasy never backfires.

Man, I tried to get him but I waited too long and was forced to choose Chad Ochocinco instead. Man, life sucks... :rolleyes:

camp_eagles
08-31-2009, 11:35 PM
I was able to grab him in the 6th Chad JOHNSON went in the 4th in what was the weirdest draft Ive ever been in: Brady Brees and Peterson 1 2 and 3 respectively

mellojello
09-01-2009, 08:45 PM
mellojello, you push things to the brink, you're opinions aren't wrong but you're something of an internet extremist. But from what I can grasp from you, you're a Cal fan and it shows. You've homered DeSean Jackson out to the point where even I can't support you, and I'm an Eagles homer. To say that he is easily good for 10 touchdowns is ridiculous, I can't get behind that. 10 all purpose touchdowns would even be a huge stretch. I like the guy and I truly think he is the best receiver the Eagles have had in a long while but I don't know if he will ever top 10 receiving touchdowns in a season to be completely honest.

And you act as if he is perfect, DeSean is not perfect, not even close. Maybe you're still stuck watching Cal film, but this is the NFL. DeSean can be jammed at the line, he can be rattled, he is inconsistent and he has questionable hands. Just watch the Eagles games, he is still extremely exciting, but he caught only 55% of passes thrown in his direction, he was rattled by Carlos Rogers and Laron Landry big time. He dropped game winning touchdowns against the Redskins and he was absolutely jaw dropping one week and invisible the next. These things will become better as he grows as a player, but remember, we are still talking about a young player who still has a lot of room to improve.

I REALLY like DeSean and I truly think he will be the next Steve Smith/Santana Moss but I don't think he is there yet. DeSean is truly on another level, when he runs everyone else looks like they're in slow motion and he can juke any player in the game with ease. He is IMO one of the best young receivers in the game and he is better than Royal, Avery and the Dolphin's receiver and will be far and away the best receiver from the 2008 draft. I think he is already better than most speedy receivers like Ted Ginn Jr. and Devin Hester along with a few others that I missed. He is a future star and I am hoping for 75 receptions, 1000 yards and 6 touchdowns this year as a realistic goal for him. But please be realistic about it, he is not the best ever like you seem to think, he can be jammed, he can be played in man to man and he is not easily good for 10 touchdowns.

Plus, lets not jinx it just look at Michael Clayton.I confess, I'm a big Cal fan, you got me! Take it from someone who has followed his college career closely, he is doing exactly the same things that he did in college, except I don't see him facing the constant double and triple teams anymore, which was the only way they could stop him in college. Don't even get me started about the painful QB play he had in college. He had a 3rd string walk-on throwing him the ball at one point. Pac 10 teams simply stopped punting to him by his junior year, so I'm thrilled if teams keep underestimating him on punts. Personally, I don't believe in luck and there's a reason why only one other player has gained 100 yards in their first two games or why only a couple dozen other players in history have gained as many yards as a rookie. He did it agaist every teams best corner. And, just to be perfectly clear, I never came close to suggesting that he is "the best ever." For the record, I've got him as a top 15 to 25 receiver, with legit upside potential of moving into a top 8 to 10 WR. For my upcoming fantasy draft, I'd feel great if he's my second receiver in my 14 team league. Your statement that he has "questionable hands" is simply wrong. And please, the Devin Hester/Ted Ginn Jr. comparisons...unless we're talking about a 40 yard dash race, I honestly don't even understand the comparisons. I hardly even consider those guys wide receivers. Talk to me about Santonio Holmes or something. I have always said that Desean Jackson is a Santana Moss clone (good call there), but even with the crummy QB's that tana played with, he had 10 receiving TD's. Tana had 7 td's last year, and that's with Jason Campbell! As much as I like DJax, what I really like is the system that he's in. If I'm an opposing defense, you're picking your poison because you aren't going stop everyone and McNabb is a GREAT QB imo. Also, since you've got it figured out that "he can be jammed, he can be played in man to man," please pass the word on to Asante Samuel. He's not an all pro/pro bowler by accident. I'm not at the practices, but I'm listening to what people are saying (here and in the press), taking information from people who seem to be knowlegdable, taking their word for it, and reconciling with what I know. I begin to question someone telling me he's a one-trick-pony and to a lesser extent, has questionable hands. We can argue projections until we're blue in the face (I say 10, you say 6), but the bottom line is that Desean is a baller. With someone like him, I don't put any limitations on what a guy can do. Whether it's as a receiver, special teams, on a hand off, a reverse, the guy is getting in the endzone. So, get ready for the Bird Dance...

eaglesalltheway
09-01-2009, 10:18 PM
I confess, I'm a big Cal fan, you got me! Take it from someone who has followed his college career closely, he is doing exactly the same things that he did in college, except I don't see him facing the constant double and triple teams anymore, which was the only way they could stop him in college. Don't even get me started about the painful QB play he had in college. He had a 3rd string walk-on throwing him the ball at one point. Pac 10 teams simply stopped punting to him by his junior year, so I'm thrilled if teams keep underestimating him on punts. Personally, I don't believe in luck and there's a reason why only one other player has gained 100 yards in their first two games or why only a couple dozen other players in history have gained as many yards as a rookie. He did it agaist every teams best corner. And, just to be perfectly clear, I never came close to suggesting that he is "the best ever." For the record, I've got him as a top 15 to 25 receiver, with legit upside potential of moving into a top 8 to 10 WR. For my upcoming fantasy draft, I'd feel great if he's my second receiver in my 14 team league. Your statement that he has "questionable hands" is simply wrong. And please, the Devin Hester/Ted Ginn Jr. comparisons...unless we're talking about a 40 yard dash race, I honestly don't even understand the comparisons. I hardly even consider those guys wide receivers. Talk to me about Santonio Holmes or something. I have always said that Desean Jackson is a Santana Moss clone (good call there), but even with the crummy QB's that tana played with, he had 10 receiving TD's. Tana had 7 td's last year, and that's with Jason Campbell! As much as I like DJax, what I really like is the system that he's in. If I'm an opposing defense, you're picking your poison because you aren't going stop everyone and McNabb is a GREAT QB imo. Also, since you've got it figured out that "he can be jammed, he can be played in man to man," please pass the word on to Asante Samuel. He's not an all pro/pro bowler by accident. I'm not at the practices, but I'm listening to what people are saying (here and in the press), taking information from people who seem to be knowlegdable, taking their word for it, and reconciling with what I know. I begin to question someone telling me he's a one-trick-pony and to a lesser extent, has questionable hands. We can argue projections until we're blue in the face (I say 10, you say 6), but the bottom line is that Desean is a baller. With someone like him, I don't put any limitations on what a guy can do. Whether it's as a receiver, special teams, on a hand off, a reverse, the guy is getting in the endzone. So, get ready for the Bird Dance...

I love this post simply for the fact that you say DeSean is a baller, lol.

I will say one thing, from what I've seen of Ted Ginn recently, don't be surprised if he jumps out there and makes some significant contributions for Miami this year, he has refined his game, especially route running, wuite a bit.

mellojello
09-02-2009, 12:03 AM
I love this post simply for the fact that you say DeSean is a baller, lol.

I will say one thing, from what I've seen of Ted Ginn recently, don't be surprised if he jumps out there and makes some significant contributions for Miami this year, he has refined his game, especially route running, wuite a bit.Thanks man. Hester and Ginn, they are playmakers, but in terms of being a WR, those guys are not very good comparisons. I have my eye on Ginn though. I'd take either late in my draft, but more like 3rd or 4th WR's, not a solid 2nd like Desean.

eaglesalltheway
09-02-2009, 06:14 AM
Thanks man. Hester and Ginn, they are playmakers, but in terms of being a WR, those guys are not very good comparisons. I have my eye on Ginn though. I'd take either late in my draft, but more like 3rd or 4th WR's, not a solid 2nd like Desean.

I honestly think he can be a solid #2 this year, and getting near 1,000 yards out of him isn't out of the question IMO. It is the year primed for breakout years for WRs, and he has shown that he has improved greatly. I don't expect him to be a #1 ever, but I think this may be the year people start thinking of him as a true (er) WR than return man.

mellojello
09-02-2009, 04:06 PM
Man, I tried to get him but I waited too long and was forced to choose Chad Ochocinco instead. Man, life sucks... :rolleyes:I actually think Ochocinco is going to have a good year too. Chad should probably be drafted slightly higher than Desean imo, partly because I think they're going to be behind in a lot of games and throwing, but this is where I admit my homerism comes into play and I'd probaby just want to take Desean. Since chances are that my fantasy team doesn't win, I want to be rooting for guys I like.

Thumper
09-02-2009, 04:19 PM
Okay, DeSean was great in college but this is the pros and everything he did at Cal is thrown out the door.

And trust me, DeSean's hands can be questionable, did I already mention that he only caught 55% of passes thrown in his direction. Go back to the NFC Championship game, on the deep pass where he adjusted to the ball he bobbled it and nearly dropped it.

Also, Asante Samuel? You're saying that Asante Samuel should be able to cover and press him? No, Asante gets a ton of over the top help because he isn't great in man to man coverage and he has never pressed anyone in his life. Also training camp is a bit different than game situations and those one on ones with corners and receivers heavily favor receivers. Asante's strengths are his instincts, zone coverage and ability to break on the ball, not man coverage and press coverage.

Also I said he was better than Ginn and Hester so no arguments there. I think he is on equal footing with Santonio Holmes right now.

DeSean is great, but you make him sound like he could be a top 10 receiver in the game which he is not, he has a way to go and I have the upmost confidence he will get there but please, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

mellojello
09-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Okay, DeSean was great in college but this is the pros and everything he did at Cal is thrown out the door.

And trust me, DeSean's hands can be questionable, did I already mention that he only caught 55% of passes thrown in his direction. Go back to the NFC Championship game, on the deep pass where he adjusted to the ball he bobbled it and nearly dropped it.

Also, Asante Samuel? You're saying that Asante Samuel should be able to cover and press him? No, Asante gets a ton of over the top help because he isn't great in man to man coverage and he has never pressed anyone in his life. Also training camp is a bit different than game situations and those one on ones with corners and receivers heavily favor receivers. Asante's strengths are his instincts, zone coverage and ability to break on the ball, not man coverage and press coverage.

Also I said he was better than Ginn and Hester so no arguments there. I think he is on equal footing with Santonio Holmes right now.

DeSean is great, but you make him sound like he could be a top 10 receiver in the game which he is not, he has a way to go and I have the upmost confidence he will get there but please, lets not get ahead of ourselves.We'll have to agree to disagree on some things here, but at least we can both agree that we both like the guy.

Then only thing I will say is that when you throw out stats like "he only caught 55% of passes thrown in his direction," this is the stuff that gets recycled by people who don't watch much of him. Donavan's comp. % is 60.4%. Desean averaged a team high 14.7 yards/catch, so logically Desean's pass catching % should be lower than his QB's comp. %. Show me a WR who has as many yards/catch, plus has a higher catch percentage than his QB's comp. %, and I'll show you a great WR.

eaglesalltheway
09-03-2009, 06:23 AM

DeSean is great, but you make him sound like he could be a top 10 receiver in the game which he is not, he has a way to go and I have the upmost confidence he will get there but please, lets not get ahead of ourselves.

I have a slight problem with this argument. I know he has had some drops, but this stat doesn't take into account bad throws or passes interfered with by defenders. This is where actually going back and watching the games is important. This stat has almost no use at all if you don't know how many times total he was targetted, how many of those targets were complete, how many were dropped, (these just as important in this stat) how many "tough catch opportunities" there were, how many of those passes weren't catchable, how many were batted down at the line, and how many were batted away, caught by defenders.

What I'm saying is though he does have some problems with drops at times, this stat makes it seem like he drops 45% of the passes thrown his way, which is defintiely not the case. Many of the factors that contribute to him not completing the balls thrown his way have nothing to do with him at all, they can be due to QB play or affected by opponents. We will most likely find that this stat will not be much better than this throughout his career because of his lack of size, but as usual with stats, they leave out a lot when you want to get a good conclusion, and this stat leaves out a lot of other factors.

eaglesalltheway
09-03-2009, 06:26 AM
We'll have to agree to disagree on some things here, but at least we can both agree that we both like the guy.

Then only thing I will say is that when you throw out stats like "he only caught 55% of passes thrown in his direction," this is the stuff that gets recycled by people who don't watch much of him. Donavan's comp. % is 60.4%. Desean averaged a team high 14.7 yards/catch, so logically Desean's pass catching % should be lower than his QB's comp. %. Show me a WR who has as many yards/catch, plus has a higher catch percentage than his QB's comp. %, and I'll show you a great WR.

I probably shoudl've scrolled down a bit more to read yours before I posted mine lol. But together I think we got that base covered lol.

mellojello
09-09-2009, 07:39 PM
I probably shoudl've scrolled down a bit more to read yours before I posted mine lol. But together I think we got that base covered lol.No worries...missed out on Desean, he got taken relatively early in my fantasy draft, but ended up getting Santana Moss. Tana's a baller too. Took McNabb instead of Romo though. McNabb's really the guy driving the Philly bus, Desean's just the guy helping out, so needless to say, I'll be rooting for a prolific Philly offense.

eaglesalltheway
09-09-2009, 09:21 PM
No worries...missed out on Desean, he got taken relatively early in my fantasy draft, but ended up getting Santana Moss. Tana's a baller too. Took McNabb instead of Romo though. McNabb's really the guy driving the Philly bus, Desean's just the guy helping out, so needless to say, I'll be rooting for a prolific Philly offense.

You and me both, lol.

mellojello
09-13-2009, 10:29 PM
You and me both, lol.I knew the Eagles were going to be explosive, but with McNabb, the bus driver, injured, it changes EVERYTHING. Not sure Desean will be able to get those 9 more TD's with Kolb or Vick back there, but he may be able to take 1 or 2 more to the house on punt returns. At some point, NFL teams will realize it's not a good idea to punt to Desean, but as I said, I prefer when teams underestimate him. How did he look at the WR position today? Thanks.

Thumper
09-13-2009, 10:50 PM
I know you weren't talking to me but w/e. He didn't get open, he was smothered all day by Chris Gamble, they shaded safety help over and DeSean didn't do much at WR. Everywhere else? That is a different story, he had 148 all purpose yards.

EDIT: And if anything Jackon's stats will go up, Kolb force feeds him the ball.

mellojello
09-13-2009, 11:15 PM
I know you weren't talking to me but w/e. He didn't get open, he was smothered all day by Chris Gamble, they shaded safety help over and DeSean didn't do much at WR. Everywhere else? That is a different story, he had 148 all purpose yards.

EDIT: And if anything Jackon's stats will go up, Kolb force feeds him the ball.Thanks Thumper, I appreciate the feedback. From a team perspective, that's great when he's drawing defenders to his direction. I wouldn't expect McNabb to force feed him. Was anyone emerging as the second WR threat and beating defenders? That's what happened at Cal when Desean faced multiple defenders: Lavelle Hawkins and Robert Jordan saw lots of single coverage and Desean's production went down as a result. I'm not terribly worried about Desean's production, it'll be there over the course of the season, but I think he understands it's about winning games. He has a lot of experience in not getting force fed. Haven't seen Kolb, but it's natural for any untested QB to go to rely on his top playmaker and I have no doubt that Desean's in his ear to throw him the ball. :) He probably has his next three td's celebrations figured out.

That punt return was smooth and sweet though. One step to the right to draw the defenders, and it was almost all over. Regardless of whether he gets into the endzone, he chages the game by giving the Eagles good field position on special teams.

eaglesalltheway
09-14-2009, 06:45 AM
Not the best performance from him as a pure WR, but obvioulsy he was a key factor in the win yesterday. He will always get it done somehow, even if it isn't in the ways you would traditionally think...

mellojello
09-14-2009, 10:57 AM
Not the best performance from him as a pure WR, but obvioulsy he was a key factor in the win yesterday. He will always get it done somehow, even if it isn't in the ways you would traditionally think...Did he disappoint at the WR position? Curious what he could/should have done better.

eaglesalltheway
09-14-2009, 02:50 PM
Did he disappoint at the WR position? Curious what he could/should have done better.

He had 2 catches for 9 yards... He was double covered a lot, but for the most part, he was shut down.

Sniper
09-15-2009, 03:45 PM
68f7VIFhQGo

1:52...Pwned.

mellojello
09-20-2009, 06:57 PM
68f7VIFhQGo

1:52...Pwned.What does this mean?

mellojello
09-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Anyone smell pro bowl?

eaglesalltheway
09-28-2009, 03:06 PM
Anyone smell pro bowl?

Despite my almost total lack of smell, I am beginning to get a whiff of it.

He needs to keep it up though.

mellojello
09-28-2009, 03:37 PM
Despite my almost total lack of smell, I am beginning to get a whiff of it.

He needs to keep it up though.Don't tell it to Thumper. He'll beat the homer out of you.

As much as it cracks me up, he needs to do some less dangerous touchdown celebrations. That summersault flip into a baseball slide is as spectacular as I care to see. I need him healthy when McNabb returns.

eaglesalltheway
09-28-2009, 07:32 PM
Don't tell it to Thumper. He'll beat the homer out of you.

As much as it cracks me up, he needs to do some less dangerous touchdown celebrations. That summersault flip into a baseball slide is as spectacular as I care to see. I need him healthy when McNabb returns.

haha, me too, especially when he has a sore groin... supposedly.

Thumper
09-28-2009, 07:45 PM
Hey now, I am a huge DeSean fan, I was just being a realist.

But, now this season he looks much improved. So far he has 12 receptions, 259 yards, 21.6 YPC, 2 Touchdowns, 418 all purpose yards, 307 yards from scrimmage and 1 85 yard TD punt return.

DeSean Jackson is on his way to being a superstar, count on it. If he continues his rampant pace, he will have a 1300 yard season and 10 touchdowns. He is on such a roll it isn't funny. He is the best player on the Eagles offense, and is the Eagles best weapon.

eaglesalltheway
09-28-2009, 10:53 PM

But, now this season he looks much improved. So far he has 12 receptions, 259 yards, 21.6 YPC, 2 Touchdowns, 418 all purpose yards, 307 yards from scrimmage and 1 85 yard TD punt return.

DeSean Jackson is on his way to being a superstar, count on it. If he continues his rampant pace, he will have a 1300 yard season and 10 touchdowns. He is on such a roll it isn't funny. He is the best player on the Eagles offense, and is the Eagles best weapon.

I told you to watch him this season based off of what I saw at TC, and so far, he is doing just that. He isn't getting caught up at the line like last year, which is key. I honestly am not surprised with how he has performed thus far... Espect more of it.

Flyboy
09-28-2009, 10:56 PM
I don't know why so many people slept on the guy. He was pure beastly at Cal and was one of my favorite prospects in the draft. I actually was wanting to land him in the second round but I'll gladly take Tracy Porter instead.

mellojello
09-28-2009, 11:18 PM

DeSean Jackson is on his way to being a superstar, count on it. If he continues his rampant pace, he will have a 1300 yard season and 10 touchdowns. He is on such a roll it isn't funny. He is the best player on the Eagles offense, and is the Eagles best weapon.Haha...I was just messing around. Like I said, he's a baller though. McNabb/Kolb just needed some time to get comfortable with him. A pro qb like McNabb isn't going to start airing it out to a rookie, who's still learning the routes, plus it takes reps to get that timing down. Those things are coming into place now. Like I said, with a guy like that in an offense like the Eagles have, I don't put limitations on what he can do. Don't know about this year, but I will say I've never been impressed with his blocking though.

Ironically, you put him on the Skins, Cleveland, the Rams or a team like that and we're not even talking about how talented he is because he gets shut down, the QB can't get the ball to him, or he does get the ball to him, but he gets blown up by a defender b/c they're forcing to him. Going to the Eagles was just as perfect as a match as I could have imagined, although I've always thought his production would be even more absurd in the Patriots offense.

mellojello
09-28-2009, 11:27 PM
You have no IDEA how good it's going to feel to be able to say "I told you so"+1 for this post and Soybean's first post.

To the haters, just understand it's over for you.

eaglesalltheway
09-29-2009, 12:59 AM
mello, no one is ever going to expect DeSean to have a posterizing block, lol, and if he does, whoever is the recipient should just go into hiding. There are many things that DeSean is, but a devastating blocker he is not. As long as he keeps flying to get in between the ball carrier and defenders like he has shown, I will be happy that he is putting forth the effort, lol.

mellojello
09-29-2009, 01:49 AM
mello, no one is ever going to expect DeSean to have a posterizing block, lol, and if he does, whoever is the recipient should just go into hiding. There are many things that DeSean is, but a devastating blocker he is not. As long as he keeps flying to get in between the ball carrier and defenders like he has shown, I will be happy that he is putting forth the effort, lol.That's soooo Desean's blocking-style...he likes to protect his legs too.

It's kind of smart though, since he's not that big and his legs are one of his greatest assets.

eaglesalltheway
09-29-2009, 11:49 AM
That's soooo Desean's blocking-style...he likes to protect his legs too.

It's kind of smart though, since he's not that big and his legs are one of his greatest assets.

I know, its something I've seen since he got here, and it does help things out a lot. There were a couple screens and deeper passes last year where he came from 20 yards away, or the opposite side of the field and just slowed down the defender enough that we were either able to make a bigger play out of it, or gave the runner enough time to reach the end zone, and that is more than some of the WRs in the league, who just won't even try...

Flyboy
11-02-2009, 11:40 PM
DeSean Jackson owns my balls. Yeah, I said it.

Splat
11-11-2009, 12:10 PM
DeSean Jackson changes agents (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/11/11/desean-jackson-changes-agents/)

"ESPN 950 in Philadelphia reports that Jackson (http://twitter.com/BrianSeltzer/status/5619591795) has fired DeBartolo Sports (http://twitter.com/BrianSeltzer/status/5619591795) as his agent. He reportedly intends to sign with Drew Rosenhaus."

This pretty much always means the player wants a new deal.

I know the guy has been balling but he is only a season in a half in to his rookie deal.

mellojello
12-14-2009, 11:19 AM
He is on such a roll it isn't funny. He is the best player on the Eagles offense, and is the Eagles best weapon.The dude is not on a roll, he's just has mad skills - that's just Desean Jackson. McNabb is the best player on the Eagles offense though. There have been a lot of questions surrounding both NcNabb and Desean, but they will validate one another. Neither had the type of player on the other side of the ball they have now.

mellojello
12-15-2009, 06:48 PM
What I don't think most realize is that Desean is MUCH smarter than people realize. After securing the ball, he's excellent at preparing for the hit. I'd bet an awful of money that's something he has practiced quite a bit (amonst many things I believe he has practiced). That's just one example of the many small things that Desean is very, very good at.

"I've been fortunate to coach some of the greatest to ever play," Mornhinweg said. "This guy is special, and he's unique...He gets everything very quickly, and he's really smart. Think about his whole career, and how many hits has he taken? I know he took one a couple weeks ago, but he takes very few."

Thumper
12-29-2009, 10:52 PM
Superstar, he has crossed the threshold and is now a legitimate super-star. DeSean Jackson, first ever player to be both the starting returner and the starting punt returner on the pro-bowl team. Did I mention he is the starting WR in a pro-bowl game? Wow.

Just look at the games where he doesn't play 'well' (put up huge stats) like against the Buccaneers and the Broncos, they had to sell out to stop him and against the Bucs Maclin stepped up and burned them and against the Broncos Brent Celek and Jeremy Maclin burned the Broncos defense. Teams are selling out to stop him and they still can't do it, he still managed 4 catches, 33 yards and a touchdown against the Broncos. DeSean has 12 touchdowns on the season and has 1683 all purpose yards. Super star!

Now lets just hope he doesn't take the madden cover.

mellojello
12-30-2009, 10:29 PM
I don't know why so many people slept on the guy. He was pure beastly at Cal and was one of my favorite prospects in the draft. I actually was wanting to land him in the second round but I'll gladly take Tracy Porter instead.The draft is still an unsolved mystery imo, but even after an incredible rookie year, people were still sleeping on Desean as far as I'm concerned. Just look back at half of these original posts...

Sniper
12-30-2009, 10:46 PM
Easily good for 10 td's next year.

Preach on.

mellojello
12-31-2009, 12:15 AM
Preach on.Thanks...

For those of you who haven't seen it yet: http://www.deseanjackson10.com/home.html

Like the Snoop song...

mellojello
12-31-2009, 03:12 PM
In case anyone is interested:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8b5bUedRxc&NR=1

Look up on youtube: Audio Push - Teach Me How To Jerk - instructional video. Presented by RozWorld Tv

mellojello
07-20-2010, 10:18 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/football/nfl/07/19/titans.johnson.ap/index.html?eref=sihp

If management is smart, they should offer Desean a similar deal immediately. If they don't, that's disrespectful and I think the chances of him staying after his contract expires go down dramatically.

eaglesalltheway
07-20-2010, 12:19 PM
I think the Eagles want to lock him up long term, as in, longer than the next three years, so they are going to wait out the CBA. I think both sides realizethere isn't much you can do right now, and the way I see it, If the Eagles want him back long term, he will be, and if DeSean wants to get that long term cotract, he will get it. Its just a matter of time.

FlyingElvis
07-20-2010, 12:21 PM
I love DJax and all, but he has not shown the consistent, game breaking production that CJ2K has shown. Comparing CJ's raise to Jackson in any way is a major stretch.

eaglesalltheway
07-20-2010, 12:23 PM
I love DJax and all, but he has not shown the consistent, game breaking production that CJ2K has shown. Comparing CJ's raise to Jackson in any way is a major stretch.

But he's a top WR in Fantasyzzzzzzzzzz!!!!

FlyingElvis
07-20-2010, 02:49 PM
Which is why I drafted him in round 9 as a rookiezzzzzzzzzz

and then kept him last yearzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

in a league where I get 6 points if he scores on kick/punt returnzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

lol

mellojello
10-18-2010, 02:25 PM
I hate Kevin Kolb.

mellojello
11-19-2010, 12:08 PM
Vick to Desean, it's really a thing of beauty.

I wonder if the Birds will shell out the cash to keep both players, especially Desean. As you all know, I'm a big Desean fan, but the eagles offense can do without him. Can't say the same about Vick though. As much as I'd love for Desean to stay with the birds, the poor guy needs to finally get paid.

By the way, I love how Desean didn't let Laron Landry punk him pregame. Dude is a fighter, always has been, and it's what I've always respected about him. I also loved how the Eagles players had his back. That shows a lot of respect. It seems like every step along the way, people have doubted Desean (including some of you Eagles fans) and all he ever does is prove everyone wrong. After his touchdown against the Redskins, nothing cute or fancy, just a classic FU touchdown spike and staredown. It's honestly my favorite touchdown celebration of his ever.

eaglesalltheway
11-22-2010, 12:47 PM
Vick to Desean, it's really a thing of beauty.

I wonder if the Birds will shell out the cash to keep both players, especially Desean. As you all know, I'm a big Desean fan, but the eagles offense can do without him. Can't say the same about Vick though. As much as I'd love for Desean to stay with the birds, the poor guy needs to finally get paid.

By the way, I love how Desean didn't let Laron Landry punk him pregame. Dude is a fighter, always has been, and it's what I've always respected about him. I also loved how the Eagles players had his back. That shows a lot of respect. It seems like every step along the way, people have doubted Desean (including some of you Eagles fans) and all he ever does is prove everyone wrong. After his touchdown against the Redskins, nothing cute or fancy, just a classic FU touchdown spike and staredown. It's honestly my favorite touchdown celebration of his ever.

I realize I may be reading into things too much when I say this next thing, but take it however you want it. I saw a video in the locker room after the game last night and after Reid was done talking, he said everyone should listen up to what DeSean had to say, he mentioned how McCoy and the O-line won the game for us, then he told the entire team that dinner was on him, saying he was buying. Perhaps there is something in the works with DeSean, or maybe its just a case of me reading into it too much with a guy who already has enough money to but dinner (most likely at an expensive place) for 53 guys and the coaches...

mellojello
11-23-2010, 09:02 PM
I realize I may be reading into things too much when I say this next thing, but take it however you want it. I saw a video in the locker room after the game last night and after Reid was done talking, he said everyone should listen up to what DeSean had to say, he mentioned how McCoy and the O-line won the game for us, then he told the entire team that dinner was on him, saying he was buying. Perhaps there is something in the works with DeSean, or maybe its just a case of me reading into it too much with a guy who already has enough money to but dinner (most likely at an expensive place) for 53 guys and the coaches...Desean picked up the tab for the team? Can you post the link?

eaglesalltheway
11-24-2010, 09:43 AM
It was on the team's site, I'll see if I can find it...

Edit: Found it... http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/index.asp?mm_file_id=9819&play_clip=y

mellojello
11-24-2010, 01:58 PM
It was on the team's site, I'll see if I can find it...

Edit: Found it... http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/multimedia/index.asp?mm_file_id=9819&play_clip=yI don't know, football is a business and the realist in me says that management isn't in contract negotions yet. They can squeeze him for another season and a half.

I think that's just DJ being DJ, but you might be onto something.

Nike did a good job representing DJ with this commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvysrXFPm_Y

mellojello
11-24-2010, 02:12 PM
Freak of Nature: takes on to know one.

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/nov/20/sports/la-sp-nfl-sunday-spotlight-20101121

mellojello
12-03-2010, 05:09 PM
Desean gets killed by the media and by Eagles fans. The whole "Diva" lable is totally just wrong. I don't get it how more Eagles fans don't have his back.

eaglesalltheway
12-19-2010, 04:15 PM
PAY THIS MAN! hahaha

mellojello
05-23-2011, 07:48 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVtsICkwcG8

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/05/22/SP0A1JJBAC.DTL

mellojello
07-26-2011, 04:51 PM
So the rumors are that Desean may hold out. At this point, I think he would be crazy to play out his contract and not hold out.

mellojello
08-13-2011, 03:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sG3S-JSDVIo

I still don't think that people understand how much he works on his game. He will be even better this year because of the guys he's going up against in practice every day. I hope DJax will have someone on the other side that defenses will have to respect.

Any good/great athlete knows that you get better when you go against top competition, your "rivals," etc.

mellojello
12-02-2011, 02:04 PM
Anyone want to take a stab at where Djax is playing next year?

FlyingElvis
12-02-2011, 02:16 PM
I'm just hoping his dumbass decision to pout & give lackluster effort with poor concentration will dimish his value enough that NE can get in on the bidding.

Chicago - specifically the Martz offense - would be a great fit.
Minnesota, NE, Cleveland, St. Louis, San Fran seem like teams that could really use his skill set +/- any help they can get at WR.

mellojello
12-02-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm just hoping his dumbass decision to pout & give lackluster effort with poor concentration will dimish his value enough that NE can get in on the bidding.

Chicago - specifically the Martz offense - would be a great fit.
Minnesota, NE, Cleveland, St. Louis, San Fran seem like teams that could really use his skill set +/- any help they can get at WR.If he seeks happiness, he should go to NE because he's not the same player, from what I've observed in his career, when him team loses. I don't think I could take a significant pay cut, not so early in my career at least, to do something like that, but we'll see. He would be sick in NE.

He's so unhappy right now...it's just sad. The team is a mess, but he's taking so much of the blame and drawing a lot of attention away from so many other problems. There's a lot more to this drama that will eventually come out.

FlyingElvis
12-05-2011, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't expect him to take a paycut (and never get upset with any player for going for the big money) but I think the publicity he's getting will force him into a shorter, cheaper contract. He deserves some of the heat he's taking, but nowhere near the level he is getting.

superman8456
12-05-2011, 06:01 PM
I expect him to get franchised (and traded if we're lucky enough to get good value) next season.

FlyingElvis
12-06-2011, 10:17 AM
I expect him to get franchised (and traded if we're lucky enough to get good value) next season.

Interesting. I though McCoy was up this year and would be franchised but that's not the case. So much for Desean to NE.

mellojello
12-06-2011, 09:27 PM
Interesting. I though McCoy was up this year and would be franchised but that's not the case. So much for Desean to NE.You just never know...the way he is portrayed, you'd think that the Eagles just might let him walk. Like I said, I'm very curious how it all unfolds.

SickwithIt1010
12-06-2011, 09:39 PM
You just never know...the way he is portrayed, you'd think that the Eagles just might let him walk. Like I said, I'm very curious how it all unfolds.

I expect him to end up an eagle for a couple more years to be honest.

mellojello
12-06-2011, 09:47 PM
I expect him to end up an eagle for a couple more years to be honest.Can they franchise him for the next two years?

superman8456
12-06-2011, 09:53 PM
Can they franchise him for the next two years?

I'd say they franchise him and then either let him walk the following year or maybe trade him after franchising him.

SickwithIt1010
12-06-2011, 10:37 PM
Can they franchise him for the next two years?

For some reason I just see him extending in the long run. Dont know why, dont ask me why, just one of those things I have a feeling about.

FlyingElvis
12-07-2011, 09:21 AM
For some reason I just see him extending in the long run. Dont know why, dont ask me why, just one of those things I have a feeling about.

I think they'd be crazy to let him go. If Reid stays then there's a very good chance Desean stays, too. Both should be kept, but it's definitely going to be a top story after the season.

mellojello
12-07-2011, 12:17 PM
I think they'd be crazy to let him go. If Reid stays then there's a very good chance Desean stays, too. Both should be kept, but it's definitely going to be a top story after the season.Many in Philly think that Maclin is their #1 WR of the future, not Desean and they aren't going to be able to pay both, plus Shady.

I will say this...I give a lot of props to Shady. I always thought he was a perfect fit when the birds drafted him, but he's exceeding my expectations on the field. What impressed me about him is that he's been on record saying that Desean is a big part of the offense and anyone not admitting such is simply not being honest. That's a tough stance to take when you know that DJax is in the middle of a contract dispute with the FO, he get's killed in the media, & it's looking like he won't be back for the long haul.

FlyingElvis
12-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Nice to hear on Shady. I love a guy that will man up about another player like that. It's definitely true - Desean forces defenses to play deep / off coverage. While I agree that Maclin is the true #1, I think Desean would be missed a hell of a lot more than most fans can appreciate.

I've said before - I'm hoping he has hurt his value enough that NE can make a run at him. The though of safeties lining up 20 yards of the LOS makes me drool. Gronk & Welker would be even more dangerous, if that's possible.

mellojello
03-15-2012, 12:38 AM
So, if the Eagles were going to pay Jackson, why not just get it done earlier and avoid all of the unnecessary drama from last year?

eaglesalltheway
03-16-2012, 11:18 AM
So, if the Eagles were going to pay Jackson, why not just get it done earlier and avoid all of the unnecessary drama from last year?
Sometimes, it just takes more to reach an agreement. I think the Eagles realized that even though they wanted to be able to keep Jackson, Maclin and Shady, they would only be able to do it if they weren't too flexible with their offers. I'd imagine the Eagles made very few concessions during negotiations because they knew that if they pay either of these guys too much, it'll make it that much harder to bring the other pieces they need back. Glad to see he's back for the long term, his speed and deep threat ability really keeps defenses honest, even in our base offensive packages.