PDA

View Full Version : Edwin Mulitalo Visits

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-09-2007, 02:07 PM
http://www.detroitlions.com/document_display.cfm?document_id=455877

It looks like Multalo is visiting Detroit today. Depending on his health and his price, he would be a decent stopgap solution at Left Guard. He's a better run blocker than pass blocker, but he's better than what we have right now at Left Guard, which is nobody. I would still want to draft a good guard in Round 2 for the future if Grubbs or Blalock fell.

Any thoughts on Mulitalo?

Microphon200
03-09-2007, 02:09 PM

It looks like Multalo is visiting Detroit today. Depending on his health and his price, he would be a decent stopgap solution at Left Guard. He's a better run blocker than pass blocker, but he's better than what we have right now at Left Guard, which is nobody. I would still want to draft a good guard in Round 2 for the future if Grubbs or Blalock fell.

Any thoughts on Mulitalo?

He should play right guard if he's a better run blocker.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-09-2007, 02:10 PM
He played left guard all the time in Baltimore I think though.

Xiomera
03-09-2007, 02:23 PM
Would be a great signing. If we sign him, I think it might indicate that George Foster will indeed play RT, rather than shifting inside to guard . . . and therefore, no Joe Thomas . . .

Or I suppose it could mark the end of the Damien Woody era as well . . .

Hmm . . .

Pocket
03-09-2007, 02:25 PM
Depending on the price, I'd be happy with the signing.

toonsterwu
03-09-2007, 02:25 PM
I think it would mark the end of the Damien Woody era. Fairly surprised that Mulitalo didn't make his first visit with Washington. He reportedly wants to stay in the DC area and the Skins are looking for a guard. That said, if he's healthy, Edwin would help you guys out inside. Add another OL piece in the draft, and the whole line looks much better.

Xiomera
03-09-2007, 02:32 PM
I think it would mark the end of the Damien Woody era. Fairly surprised that Mulitalo didn't make his first visit with Washington. He reportedly wants to stay in the DC area and the Skins are looking for a guard. That said, if he's healthy, Edwin would help you guys out inside. Add another OL piece in the draft, and the whole line looks much better.

Toonster, what do you think of George Foster? Is he best suited to play OG or RT for us? Or is he essentially a "throw in" from that trade that will have little effect on whether we draft Thomas or not . . .

TacticaLion
03-09-2007, 02:53 PM

Any thoughts on Mulitalo?I was hoping that he'd visit... adding Multalo and Foster can only help us. I guess we could get rid of Woody and still draft JThomas... have a line of Backus-Multalo-Raiola-Foster-JThomas (or something)... or either JScott/Foster can play RT and we could spend the pick differently.

I'm glad they're getting players for the Oline. Now I just hope they pan out.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-09-2007, 02:54 PM
I think Foster is our Right Tackle with Tucker providing some depth there right now. I think Woody will stay depending on the draft and Saipia will back him up at Right Guard. However, if Justin Blalock drops to us Woody could be gone.
Backus,Mulitalo,Raiola,Woody,Foster doesn't seem too bad to me.
Hope we sign him. Foster is making 2.3 million this year.
http://www.thenetrat.com/lionscap2007.html

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-11-2007, 09:52 AM
I just realized why Mulitalo visited. Our O-line coach Collello coached him in Baltimore. Good connection there. Hopefully, that is enough to sway him away from Washington.

Addict
03-11-2007, 10:25 AM
I think Foster is our Right Tackle with Tucker providing some depth there right now. I think Woody will stay depending on the draft and Saipia will back him up at Right Guard. However, if Justin Blalock drops to us Woody could be gone.
Backus,Mulitalo,Raiola,Woody,Foster doesn't seem too bad to me.
Hope we sign him. Foster is making 2.3 million this year.
http://www.thenetrat.com/lionscap2007.html

Getting Blalock would really be great. He's vastly underrated on this forum IMO.

TacticaLion
03-11-2007, 12:16 PM
Getting Blalock would really be great. He's vastly underrated on this forum IMO.Which is great.

I love players that are top 15 picks before the Combine and 2nd round picks after... the workout warriors jump and the great performers fall to your 2nd round pick.

Addict
03-11-2007, 12:28 PM
Which is great.

I love players that are top 15 picks before the Combine and 2nd round picks after... the workout warriors jump and the great performers fall to your 2nd round pick.

great for us, sucks for him though.

Is everyone this harsh on him everywhere or is it just a NFLDC thing?

JamminJonny
03-13-2007, 10:44 AM
Mulitalo didn't sign, which leads me to believe that perhaps he wanted too much cash.

If you look at the deals that some less-than-top-tier interior lineman have received this offseason, and the fact that he's 32 and may never see another big contract, it wouldn't surprise me if Edwin's demands were a touch out of Detroit's range.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-13-2007, 11:49 AM
Edwin is probably waiting to see on Washington's offer. He would prefer to stay in the DC/Baltimore area.

creamsicle
03-21-2007, 11:43 AM
Wife and I flew Oakland-to-Baltimore yesterday (SWA 1973) and Edwin Mulitalo was on the plane. Appeared to have his children with him. Very conspicuously, he also had his pads with him.

Anybody know if he had workouts in San Fran and/or Oakland ?

TacticaLion
03-21-2007, 06:26 PM
Wife and I flew Oakland-to-Baltimore yesterday (SWA 1973) and Edwin Mulitalo was on the plane. Appeared to have his children with him. Very conspicuously, he also had his pads with him.

Anybody know if he had workouts in San Fran and/or Oakland ?

Haha... are you serious?! Mulitalo? That's suprisingly badass.

Hmm... family... pads... grr. We probably missed out on him.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
03-21-2007, 07:34 PM
Hahaha that is rather random information. Good to know though

creamsicle
03-22-2007, 05:01 AM
Hahaha that is rather random information. Good to know though

Was just hoping someone might've heard something. I'm a Ravens fan, and although our O-line needs a youth movement I like EM and have been hoping we'd find a way to resign him for a low cap number somehow.

TacticaLion
03-22-2007, 11:37 AM
Was just hoping someone might've heard something. I'm a Ravens fan, and although our O-line needs a youth movement I like EM and have been hoping we'd find a way to resign him for a low cap number somehow.
As random as that information is, I'd rather hire you to give me random info than read the same projected, typical mocks over and over.

What else do you know about Mulitalo? Favorite movie? Favorite book? Favorite cereal?

I hope we sign him for a low cap number as well... but, considering he left Detroit, I think he wants something more.

creamsicle
03-23-2007, 11:39 AM
What else do you know about Mulitalo? Favorite movie? Favorite book? Favorite cereal?
Cute. No, really, I came here *looking for* information, not trying to drop trivia. But if you want a Ravens' fan's perspective on him, I can say that he is:
1) widely reported here to be an excellent locker-room guy.
2) also widely reported here to be an even better community guy. Lots of foundation work. Lives here with his family (at least for now they do).
3) probably (this is my speculation) critical to Jonathan Ogden's pending decision whether or not to retire. They played side-by-side for EM's entire career here, and it stands to reason that JO might have mixed feelings about breaking in a new LG in his 12th season.
4) sad to say, EM's production fell off a good bit in 2005 and didn't really improve much last year before his season-ending injury. My opinion.
5) in the pre-salary-cap era EM would be a very well paid backup on the 'Vens, sort of like Russ Grimm was in the last few years of his career. my opinion. Mulitalo's leadership and intangibles are very valuable in ways that can't be measured so easily. also my opinion.

TacticaLion
03-23-2007, 02:56 PM
Cute. No, really, I came here *looking for* information, not trying to drop trivia. But if you want a Ravens' fan's perspective on him, I can say that he is:
1) widely reported here to be an excellent locker-room guy.
2) also widely reported here to be an even better community guy. Lots of foundation work. Lives here with his family (at least for now they do).
3) probably (this is my speculation) critical to Jonathan Ogden's pending decision whether or not to retire. They played side-by-side for EM's entire career here, and it stands to reason that JO might have mixed feelings about breaking in a new LG in his 12th season.
4) sad to say, EM's production fell off a good bit in 2005 and didn't really improve much last year before his season-ending injury. My opinion.
5) in the pre-salary-cap era EM would be a very well paid backup on the 'Vens, sort of like Russ Grimm was in the last few years of his career. my opinion. Mulitalo's leadership and intangibles are very valuable in ways that can't be measured so easily. also my opinion.

Great notes... they seem reasonable and unbiased.

I'd love him for the Lions... he fits what the coaches are looking for.

And his name is awesome.

Addict
03-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Great notes... they seem reasonable and unbiased.

I'd love him for the Lions... he fits what the coaches are looking for.

And his name is awesome.

Edwin "The Mutilator" Mulitalo...

TacticaLion
03-23-2007, 05:16 PM
Edwin "The Mutilator" Mulitalo...

Wow... I wouldn't try to bull rush him... no way, no how. I'd take the LOOONG way around... the "run completely around and try to get back onto the field before the play is over" way around.

He's scary in his own right... but... with a name like that... sheesh.

PooPooCakes
03-23-2007, 08:20 PM
Mulitalo agrees to terms on three-year deal with Lions

Posted by Tom Kowalski March 23, 2007 20:39PM

The Lions have reached an agreement with free agent guard Edwin Mulitalo on a three-year deal and an announcement will be made as soon as the documents are signed.

The addition of Mulitalo puts Damien Woody on even thinner ice. Woody, who lost more than 30 pounds and reported in good shape to the off-season workouts, has a cap number of $6 million for the 2007 season. The Lions could save $3 million in cap space this season if Woody is released after June 1.

The Lions are still hoping Woody will get his act togther and the combination of Mulitalo and a athletic and agile Woody would give the Lions some real strength on the interior of the offensive line. If the Lions like the way Woody is performing through the off-season workouts and training camp, don't be surprised if they go to him and try to restructure his deal to make his cap hit less brutal.

The Lions also signed free agent guard Zach Piller, who has starting experience in the league. The Lions now have a lot of depth at guard with Mulitalo, Woody, Piller, Barry Stokes and two young prospects Frank Davis and Stephen Peterman.

Mulitalo was a seven-year starter for the Baltimore Ravens before becoming a free agent in the off-season.

Ravens1991
03-23-2007, 08:24 PM
Mulitalo is a good guy, but a better person you guys will like him on your team and community.

Xiomera
03-23-2007, 08:28 PM
http://blog.mlive.com/lionsinsider/2007/03/mulitalo_agrees_to_terms_on_th.html

Break open the champaign boys. One less need for us to fill. We can now pretty much rule out Joe Thomas, IMO. Our line is solid enough to get by, though I would like to draft at least one lineman.

We also signed Zach Piller as stated in the article. We have tremendous depth at guard. Though I think Woody is gone.

Scotty D
03-23-2007, 09:21 PM
Yayayayayayyaya. I didn't think we were going to get him. And Zach Pillar! Our O-line shouldn't be that bad next year and I don't think a day 1 pick will be used on it.

TacticaLion
03-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Soooorrry... I just read the posts. I made a topic about it, though...

This is awesome.

Scotty D
03-23-2007, 09:47 PM
Soooorrry... I just read the posts. I made a topic about it, though...

This is awesome.

Its cool it deserved its own topic.

Mythos
03-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Yayayayayayyaya. I didn't think we were going to get him. And Zach Pillar! Our O-line shouldn't be that bad next year and I don't think a day 1 pick will be used on it.

Agreed, but I really wish we would have spent a 2nd on Blalock/Grubbs and locked that position down for awhile. I think lack of continuity has been as much of a problem as talent.

creamsicle
03-26-2007, 08:38 AM
Congrats, Lions fans. You got a good one.