PDA

View Full Version : Browns trade RB Reuben Droughns to NY Giants for WR Tim Carter

NGSeiler
03-09-2007, 02:14 PM
Being reported by Adam Caplan via Sirius NFL Radio right now.

Non_Sequitur
03-09-2007, 02:15 PM
Being reported by Adam Caplan via Sirius NFL Radio right now.

Nooo.... I wanted them to waste their picks/time trading for Tatum Bell out of Detroit!

Windy
03-09-2007, 02:16 PM
jerry reese made a move. a good one too.

GiantRutgersFan
03-09-2007, 02:16 PM
Awesome!

Tim Carter is a horrible WR. we definitly got the better of this one

toonsterwu
03-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Bleh ... sort of eh, whatever. Droughns was on the way out anyways, so the Browns getting something was better than cutting him. Tim Carter isn't much anyways, so it's not as if the Giants really lose. Sinorice Moss was going to take a bigger role next year anyways. I don't think Droughns addresses their RB need, although it may allow them to pass on making a move for a veteran RB, and wait to draft a RB a bit later, perhaps in day 2, instead. I'm not sure where Carter fits in for the Browns, but they got something instead of cutting Droughns, so that's a plus, I guess.

TNewFan41
03-09-2007, 02:18 PM
Wow, what a horrible trade for the Browns.

The Giants are still gonna suck though, so it doesn't matter.

princefielder28
03-09-2007, 02:19 PM
Good move by both teams!!!

hugegmenfan
03-09-2007, 02:19 PM
confirmed??

Non_Sequitur
03-09-2007, 02:20 PM
Awesome!

Tim Carter is a horrible WR. we definitly got the better of this one

They were going to cut him if they couldn't trade him anyhow.

This is like when the Jets traded Sam Cowart for a 7th rounder. His value was higher, but everyone knew he was going to be cut if he wasn't traded for.

Jughead10
I'm not a fan of Droughns. But Carter is garbage. And that was when he is on the field, which is basically never. We traded our crap for slightly better smelling crap in my opinion.

lod01
LMAO. Tim Carter....unreal. Is there a worse WR they could find on the planet?

It would have been better for the Browns to trade Droughns for air. At least that way they wouldn't have to pay for nothing. How can a team have such incompetant management? Oh yeah, they are consistently drafting top 10. I guess it's possible.

Tim Carter...BRAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHA!!!!!!!!

jetsfan3
This doesn't help the Giants significantly, but Tim Carter was atrocious and the Giants definitely got the better end.

lod01
03-09-2007, 02:21 PM
Good move by both teams!!!

LMAO. How so for the Browns? They got LESS that nothing. I didn't think you get get LESS than nothing in a trade but Cleveland pulled it off.

toonsterwu
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
The thing is, they were going to cut Droughns if they couldn't get a deal, so getting something is better than cutting Droughns and having to eat the money. That said, Carter is bleh. Albeit, with Northcutt gone, Carter might be able to be the 4th receiver, but personally, I'd go with Travis Wilson and Joshua Cribbs and let those guys develop.

art vandelay
03-09-2007, 02:24 PM
Wow, interesting trade. The Browns were supposed to cut Droughns and I guess the Giants wanted to make sure that they were going to get him. However, I would not be suprised if Carter does not make the Browns team, so they could get nothing out of this trade.

hugegmenfan
03-09-2007, 02:25 PM
LMAO. How so for the Browns? They got LESS that nothing. I didn't think you get get LESS than nothing in a trade but Cleveland pulled it off.

haha yea trust me as a giants fan- tim carter is the worst player in the league- he cant catch for SH1T and constantly has penalty flags- he drops balls even when he is wide open
for thr value the giants got the better end of this deal by far

hugegmenfan
03-09-2007, 02:26 PM
also can u give us a link? im starting to think this is not real

Jughead10
03-09-2007, 02:26 PM
Droughns makes basically nothing too. Which is good. If he was cut and signed he would have probably gotten more money because he would have wanted a signing bonus and this market is ridiculous. Right now he is schedule to make:

2007: $1.25 million (+ $1.75 million roster bonus), 2008: $1.75 million, 2009: $2.75 million

Not sure if we have to pick up that roster bonus or not.

NGSeiler
03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
also can u give us a link? im starting to think this is not real

It broke on Sirius NFL Radio literally like 15 minutes ago. If I find a link I'll post it, but unless someone tapped into my satellite feed and is doing one hell of an impression of Adam Schein and Solomon Wilcots, then I'm hearing the real deal.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-09-2007, 02:36 PM
This doesn't help the Giants significantly, but Tim Carter was atrocious and the Giants definitely got the better end.

No it doesnt but we save our picks, give him a new place to play with a better oline, so he can do some stuff with that. Plus as a RB he probably will caught more balls than Carter ever did, HAHA.

hugegmenfan
03-09-2007, 02:38 PM
No it doesnt but we save our picks, give him a new place to play with a better oline, so he can do some stuff with that. Plus as a RB he probably will caught more balls than Carter ever did, HAHA.

i still think we draft a HB in day 2 like a brandon jackson but this helps out the giants tremendously- this would guarentee we dont pick a HB 1st round and ANYONE is better than tim carter

hugepunch
03-09-2007, 02:45 PM
http://mvn.com/nfl-giants/

Number 10
03-09-2007, 02:53 PM
Great deal for the Giants.

Not because Droughns is anything special, but because Carter is not worth more than a blade of grass.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-09-2007, 02:54 PM
i still think we draft a HB in day 2 like a brandon jackson but this helps out the giants tremendously- this would guarentee we dont pick a HB 1st round and ANYONE is better than tim carter

Yeah day 2, perhaps even we can sign a bunch of undrafted FAs and let them fight for a 3rd spot. Now our balls arent cramped because Jacobs gets the most, than Droughns, so it makes the last spot irrelevant really, unless someone goes down. But I would use that pick on a defensive player, and fill the 3rd RB spot with an undrafted guy. Unless we get GB's luck where alot of RBs went down, i think we are set now.

BigDawg819
03-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Tim Carter is still in the NFL?

eaglesalltheway
03-09-2007, 02:58 PM
Now that there is some confirmation, I can say that even though this trade favors the Giants, it is not by much. They could have waited a week or two (Whenever Droughns was going to be released) and still kept their WR. I know he is horrible, but if the Giants have a lot of injuries at WR this year, they are going to wish they had one more.

hugepunch
03-09-2007, 03:02 PM
carter is a bum we can sign Vince Papale to replace him.

NGSeiler
03-09-2007, 03:04 PM
Droughns is being interviewed on Sirius as we speak, for those that still doubt.

bennybee38
03-09-2007, 03:06 PM
the browns have to be the biggest idiots on the face of the earth

hugegmenfan
03-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Now that there is some confirmation, I can say that even though this trade favors the Giants, it is not by much. They could have waited a week or two (Whenever Droughns was going to be released) and still kept their WR. I know he is horrible, but if the Giants have a lot of injuries at WR this year, they are going to wish they had one more.

yes the giants could hav waited but then they would have had to pay him a signing bonus and b.c of the contracts hb r gettin this offseason had to pay him a lot more than they will b now
the giants were most likely goin to release carter anyway so it worked out def better than them

toonsterwu
03-09-2007, 03:13 PM
A lot of bashing of the Browns ... which I don't get. I'm not saying it's a good deal ... but no one was going to fork over much for Droughns at all, so getting something for someone they might've cut, that sounds alright to me. As noted, I think this is a bleh trade for both sides, and doesn't really address anything, except perhaps allow the Giants to have some false confidence and wait until day 2 to address RB. I say false confidence as I'm not sold Droughns has much left to be anything more than a backup, and ideally, you'd like a guy that might be able to step in if Jacobs struggles.

JMiah
03-09-2007, 03:13 PM
Reub doesn't seem to go well with Jacobs, as they are both power backs, but hey... they didn't give much for him

BehrenMan007
03-09-2007, 03:18 PM
giants definetley win.... since j-lew only signed a 1 yr deal, AD has to be the pick for cleve

Vikes99ej
03-09-2007, 03:19 PM
What is the Giants RB situation now? That's poor if it's Jacobs and Droughns. They need to get a speed or burst back up in there.

keylime_5
I'm glad that we got a 5th WR so we don't have to sign/draft another one this offseason in exchange for a RB who was gonna get cut anyhow. It actually is a good move by the Browns fellas b/c they got something instead of nothing for Droughns, duh

lod01
Can't even imagine the conversation when this went down.

Maybe something like this:

NYG: Hey CLE, what about this Droughns guy?

CLE: Give us something for him.

NYG: Well.....um....I guess we can give you SUPERSTAR Tim Carter.

CLE: SOLD, we win, high fives all around.

keylime_5
03-09-2007, 03:21 PM

Regarding NY, by trading for Droughns they get him guaranteed by trading a #4 or #5 wide receiver for him rather than not trade one and risk losing out on him to Green Bay or Denver or somebody.

D-Unit
I hope the Giants think they've solved their RB situation. For a moment there, I thought they were gonna play it smart through the draft with a guy like Tony Hunt, Kenny Irons, or Michael Bush.

etk
Both of these guys were going to get cut by their teams anyway. Droughns will need to fix up his contract.

lod01
giants definetley win.... since j-lew only signed a 1 yr deal, AD has to be the pick for cleve

No doubt. Tippy Toes Lewis won't last the year as the starter before he is pelted with a chorus of boos for taking 15 steps before getting to the LOS. Browns mgmt, unlike the Ravens, will not feel any loyalty to keep this has been in the lineup.

Peterson in 5.

ricky bobby
03-09-2007, 03:33 PM
Can't even imagine the conversation when this went down.

Maybe something like this:

NYG: Hey CLE, what about this Droughns guy?

CLE: Give us something for him.

NYG: Well.....um....I guess we can give you SUPERSTAR Tim Carter.

CLE: SOLD, we win, high fives all around.

LOL, pretty much.

Tim Carter is getting bashed in this thread, I kinda like it.

ricky bobby
03-09-2007, 03:34 PM
I hope the Giants think they've solved their RB situation. For a moment there, I thought they were gonna play it smart through the draft with a guy like Tony Hunt, Kenny Irons, or Michael Bush.

Tony Hunt? Michael Bush? Have you ever heard of Brandon Jacobs? We needed a veteran to help him along and be a reliable pass blocker for Eli. We got that in Droughns, and for what a price.

bearsfan_51
03-09-2007, 03:35 PM
Reuben would struggle to make the roster on most NFL teams. I'm with toony, most of you have no idea what you're talking about. Even if they cut Carter next week it's still the same equivalent of what they would get from anyone else.

Do you really want Jacobs/Droeghns as your runningback tandem? If not, you're putting Reuben as the #3 runningback, and #3 runningbacks that don't play special teams don't make the gameday roster so you essentially traded for a player that will never see the field.

*High fives all around*

Number 10
03-09-2007, 03:39 PM
Again, this is not a season changing deal but had the Browns cut him, we would likely have to pay for Droughns more so than we are right now because of the disgusting spending spree some teams are on right now. He is making less than $2 million the next 2 years and I doubt he will see the $2.7 million in 2009 unless he is better than we all think.

Number 10
03-09-2007, 03:40 PM

Brandon Jacobs.

He made you look silly last fall, don't let it happen again.

D-Unit
03-09-2007, 03:42 PM
Tony Hunt? Michael Bush? Have you ever heard of Brandon Jacobs? We needed a veteran to help him along and be a reliable pass blocker for Eli. We got that in Droughns, and for what a price.
Have you ever heard of a ritalin? Calm down. That's true, those guys wouldn't be ideal picks. But Irons and Pittman could've matched well. ...and Lynch could be there as well.

Jughead10
Droughns is at least a player that has succeeded in the past. He has been on a TERRIBLE Browns team the last few years. Both players were likely to get cut so why not swap them. The Browns have had a top 3 worst O-line in the league the last two years.

blkwdw13
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2793305

Just to add ESPN's word.

D-Unit
03-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Brandon Jacobs.

He made you look silly last fall, don't let it happen again.
Hey if you're happy with Jacobs and Droughns and the rest of us are happy that you have Jacobs and Droughns, that's all that matters right?

Seriously, you should move him back to FB where he came from.

Number 10
03-09-2007, 03:46 PM
Have you ever heard of a ritalin? Calm down. That's true, those guys wouldn't be ideal picks. But Irons and Pittman could've matched well. ...and Lynch could be there as well.

It would have been very dumb to spend a 1st on Lynch.

Number 10
03-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Hey if you're happy with Jacobs and Droughns and the rest of us are happy that you have Jacobs and Droughns, that's all that matters right?

Which is still an option.

Go look at your calender.

Forenci
03-09-2007, 03:49 PM
Reuben would struggle to make the roster on most NFL teams. I'm with toony, most of you have no idea what you're talking about. Even if they cut Carter next week it's still the same equivalent of what they would get from anyone else.

Do you really want Jacobs/Droeghns as your runningback tandem? If not, you're putting Reuben as the #3 runningback, and #3 runningbacks that don't play special teams don't make the gameday roster so you essentially traded for a player that will never see the field.

*High fives all around*

You're just mad that Thomas Jones is gone. I'm joking, but I don't think we as Giants fans are happy that we got a less than stellar running back. I think we're happy we got rid of that piece of junk Tim Carter after he cost us a game or two (the Colts vs Giants game to name one), and actually got something in return.

Many fans wanted a veteran running back, and while RD isn't amazing, he's better than nothing and could make an acceptable 3rd Down running back. I'm happy because now it's guaranteed we will not be drafting Marshawn Lynch (if he fell) or Brian Leonard as a few Giants fans want us to.

No matter who won or lost in this trade, I'm happy that he at the very least it lets us draft a running back a little lower. Hopefully a second day speedster whom we can get some value out of as a punt/kick returner.

I think no Giants fan believes RD to be our permanent solution nor short term solution. If Jacobs were to go down during the season, at least I know we'll have someone with experience instead of a late pick, unproven rookie.

Forenci
03-09-2007, 03:53 PM

Actually, I really like that idea. Would be nice to have a guy at fullback who isn't a dwarf compared to Jacobs blocking for him. Plus it may confuse defense thinking we're using to fullbacks. Haha. Put in Jared Lorenzen for a QB sneak and it'll be like having offensive linemen at every posistion.

Number 10
03-09-2007, 03:58 PM
Just to throw this in there as well.....

Had the Giants signed Rhodes people would be patting Reese on the back much more than they are now. Well, go compare their stats and get back to me.

Jughead10
03-09-2007, 03:59 PM
Just to throw this in there as well.....

Had the Giants signed Rhodes people would be patting Reese on the back much more than they are now. Well, go compare their stats and get back to me.

If Rhodes could have gotten those stats with the Brown's O-line and Charlie Frye under center. This still doesn't change the fact that I'd like Darius Walker in the 4th to play a Kevin Faulk type of role.

eacantdraft
03-09-2007, 04:00 PM
This trade is called "I will trade my garbage for your garbage." At least we got rid of Tim Carter.

Number 10
03-09-2007, 04:03 PM
If Rhodes could have gotten those stats with the Brown's O-line and Charlie Frye under center.

Exactly.

Rhodes matched Droughns stats but he had slightly better players around him, right?

Forenci
03-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Actually, it's more along the lines of,
"I'll trade you our garbage for your recycables."

Heh, I like your analogy though. I would've liked to seen Tim Carter get cut though, that would have been satisfying.

frogstomp
03-09-2007, 04:05 PM
Droughns is not that bad...

For the past two years, he has been about the same as Mcgahee statistically, despite having the weaker offense.

He doesn't have the upside of Mcgahee, but he has about the same amount of mileage. He's so much better than Carter it isn't even funny.

GiantRutgersFan
03-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Its a good trade for the Giants. We gave up nothing and got a backup running back.

We just gotta sign a WR like Kevin Curtis and we can then rebuild our defense through the draft by getting impact players in the first 2 rounds

bearsfan_51
03-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Stats don't tell the whole story. Rhodes is more versitile. He can play on special teams. He can catch the ball out of the backfield. He can pass block.

Reuben can run straight forward into things. Don't you already have that in Jacobs?

Damix
03-09-2007, 04:08 PM
Big bruisers make sense in old Gilbride offense, spread the field with recievers and then have a big RB pound it inside, what he did with the Oilers as well if I'm not mistaken.

Jughead10
03-09-2007, 04:11 PM
Stats don't tell the whole story. Rhodes is more versitile. He can play on special teams. He can catch the ball out of the backfield. He can pass block.

Reuben can run straight forward into things. Don't you already have that in Jacobs?

Since when can't Droughns block? We also don't need special teamers. We have plenty.

PoopSandwich
03-09-2007, 04:18 PM
Wow, what a horrible trade for the Browns.

The Giants are still gonna suck though, so it doesn't matter.

Are you insane? We were about to release him, how is that a HORRIBLE trade?

Number 10
03-09-2007, 04:19 PM

Droughns has better hands than Rhodes.

Droughns is a better pass blocker than Rhodes.

Droughns is a better special teamer than Rhodes.

If you disagree with thos statements please give me a counter argument with some back to it other than calling me a homer.

I like Rhodes running style to go along with Jacobs much more and I even would have liked to see him in here for the contract the Raiders gave him, but by no means is this a bad deal for the Giants. And if Gilbride implements the power, straight ahead run game that I think he will, Droughns makes even more sense.

Jughead10
03-09-2007, 04:27 PM
Are you insane? We were about to release him, how is that a HORRIBLE trade?

When was his roster bonus due? That is the main problem. If the roster bonus wasn't there I think the Browns would have held onto him until after the draft. To at least see how that pans ou t.

Caddy
03-09-2007, 04:30 PM
Kind of a strange trade, but gives the G-Men a solid backfield duo

BMadison95
03-09-2007, 05:03 PM

PLEASE someone answer this....Why do people call Adrian Peterson AD? Shouldn't they call him AP????

bearsfan_51
03-09-2007, 05:04 PM
ADrian Peterson

bearsfan_51
03-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Droughns has better hands than Rhodes.

Droughns is a better pass blocker than Rhodes.

Droughns is a better special teamer than Rhodes.

If you disagree with thos statements please give me a counter argument with some back to it other than calling me a homer.
I don't need a counter argument. They are very very wrong. Again, stats do not tell the whole story.

Windy
03-09-2007, 05:07 PM
Rotoworld.com

Reuben Droughns-RB-Giants Mar. 9 - 6:03 pm et

Reuben Droughns' contract was restructured after coming to New York.
Specifics aren't given, but Droughns is not expected to see all, if any, of his originilly scheduled roster bonus. He had been due salaries of $1.25 million (2007), $1.75 million (2008), and $2.75 million (2009).
Source: Newark Star-Ledger

Jughead10
03-09-2007, 05:07 PM
I don't need a counter argument. They are very very wrong. Has Rueben ever even played special teams?

I think that point is irrelevant. Giants have enough guys who contribute on, and some time only on, special teams.

toonsterwu
03-09-2007, 05:08 PM
When was his roster bonus due? That is the main problem. If the roster bonus wasn't there I think the Browns would have held onto him until after the draft. To at least see how that pans ou t.

I believe the roster bonus was due next Wednesday, or two Wednesdays from now. Either way, it was, from what I remember, in the near future.

Bradentonian
03-09-2007, 05:31 PM
No great shakes as both were likely to be cut. At least now both teams will have a chance to get some kind of value for someone they were going to cut anyway. I imagine Droughns has a better chance of sticking than Carter. Droughns doesn't seem like the best compliment to Jacobs, though.

Thecollegedropout
03-09-2007, 06:00 PM
Exactly.

Rhodes matched Droughns stats but he had slightly better players around him, right?
Droughns was also an actual featured RB for the 2 years he was in Cleveland while Rhodes never got a fair shake, having to share the majority of carries with Edge and eventually Addai.

bigbluedefense
03-09-2007, 06:05 PM
Stated in the Giants team thread

Thank you. Don't get excited about this guys. We traded crap for crap. Its just resorted and packaged with a new label. But its still crap. We still need a day 2 RB.

We still come out slightly ahead considering Carter wouldve probably gotten cut. But by no means does this fill a "need". It was beneficial, but we still need a day 2 RB.

I still want Darius Walker in day 2.

dhoe20
03-09-2007, 06:27 PM
Wow, interesting trade. The Browns were supposed to cut Droughns and I guess the Giants wanted to make sure that they were going to get him. However, I would not be suprised if Carter does not make the Browns team, so they could get nothing out of this trade.

Nah, Tim will make the team. He always does spectacular in the camps, but that's usually the only time he plays well.

Spectre
03-09-2007, 08:09 PM
I can't believe Giants fans are playing this off like the Browns got ripped off.

Droughns was going to be cut.

Carter was going to be cut.

We exchanged players that neither team wanted. You don't think Carter is very good, we don't think Droughns is very good.

This trade is pretty darn insignificant other than it looks like it's setting the Browns up for a meeting with AD come April while the Giants are going to hope Reuben isn't as bad as he looked last year.

Number 10
03-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I can't believe Giants fans are playing this off like the Browns got ripped off.

We exchanged players that neither team wanted. You don't think Carter is very good, we don't think Droughns is very good.

This trade is pretty darn insignificant other than it looks like it's setting the Browns up for a meeting with AD come April while the Giants are going to hope Reuben isn't as bad as he looked last year.

Neither team got a steal. Neither team got ripped off.

It was a sensible trade for both teams and while I hate Tim Carter, a change of scenery and scheme can entirely change a player with the athleticism of Carter.

But Droughns will be very effective in NY, mostly because of his ability to catch the ball out of the backfield and this new running scheme Gilbride is apparantly going to be implementing.

Shiver
03-09-2007, 08:25 PM
I think Droughns is much better than Carter. Droughns played behind a horrific O-Line, and is only one year separated from two consecutive 1,200 yard, 4.0+ ypc, 30 catch seasons.

Number 10
03-09-2007, 08:26 PM
Giants will not be paying his roster bonus, not $1.75 million anyway. If anything, they might be giving him a 3rd of that price.

Number 10
03-09-2007, 08:27 PM
I don't need a counter argument. They are very very wrong. Again, stats do not tell the whole story.

Why do you think Rhodes is better in the receiving realm of the game? Special teams? Pass blocking? Should we mention the price tag?

Number 10
03-09-2007, 08:31 PM
To sum up Tim Carter-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY5POA4lp8Y

bored of education
03-09-2007, 08:37 PM
To sum up Tim Carter-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SY5POA4lp8Y

HAHAHHAHA wow

BMadison95
03-09-2007, 10:28 PM
PLEASE someone answer this....Why do people call Adrian Peterson AD? Shouldn't they call him AP????ADrian Peterson

That's just stupid. Should we give Reuben Droughns the nickname RE? Or Shouldn't Terrell Davis have been nicknamed TE with that logic? Whoever started calling adrian peterson ad and not AP should be shot

SuperMcGee
03-09-2007, 10:47 PM
AD stands for All Day

art vandelay
03-09-2007, 10:55 PM
AD stands for All Day

Yep...the nickname his father gave to him.

Billingsley26
03-09-2007, 10:57 PM
I like the way the Giants are going now. I like seeing Droughns and Jacobs in the backfield. They could just use both all the time, one could lead block and the other run...you could switch it up any time since both are big bruisers.

UTPATS
03-10-2007, 12:23 AM
Is Jacobs not going to be the man in NY?

mcdlaxbonz13
03-10-2007, 12:36 AM
i think the only time cleveland may use carter is as a punt returner since we don't have one at this time due to the departure of northcut, we tried cribbs their but he just couldn't seem to hold on to the ball when it was punted either way this is a very insignificant trade and i can't believe it has 4 pages

Forenci
03-10-2007, 12:46 AM
Is Jacobs not going to be the man in NY?

Oh no my friend, he will be the main guy. Everyone just wanted to have a veteran to back him up considering Tiki was our veteran running back and Jacobs was the Spell guy. Just need an insurance policy for Jacobs and a guy to spell him.

I expect us to take a running back like Darius Walker or Lorenzo Booker - two guys who can catch in the fourth round.

culloden1745
03-10-2007, 07:24 AM
Why on earth would you want to keep Tim Carter? Theres gotta be 300 unemployed Wide Recievers that could be signed if there are injuries that would catch more passes then him.

culloden1745
03-10-2007, 07:30 AM
Droughns is at least a player that has succeeded in the past. He has been on a TERRIBLE Browns team the last few years. Both players were likely to get cut so why not swap them. The Browns have had a top 3 worst O-line in the league the last two years.

Has there been a rb in the Browns organization thats done well?? They seem to spend a lot of picks/ fa money on them with little results.

culloden1745
03-10-2007, 07:48 AM
i think the only time cleveland may use carter is as a punt returner since we don't have one at this time due to the departure of northcut, we tried cribbs their but he just couldn't seem to hold on to the ball when it was punted either way this is a very insignificant trade and i can't believe it has 4 pages
Carter never returned punts, never did well k/os either to best of my knowledge...the reason this threads gone on 4 pages is the giants fans are venting over another dissapointing player, a bust of huge dimensions, after 5 years I'd be shocked if he had 100 total catches. Last year he was #2 wr for 1/2 the year and managed 20 catches. Droughns probably has more then that, hell our fb probably comes close as well.
Droughns got a little bit of mileage, but can is a known commodity, if giants need to rest Jacobs he can spell him effectively.

jkpigskin
03-10-2007, 07:56 AM
thats a big and slow backfield now, with jacobs and drougns....they could really use a change of pace back

hugepunch
03-10-2007, 08:55 AM
thats a big and slow backfield now, with jacobs and drougns....they could really use a change of pace back

Brandon Jacobs/RB/Southern Illinois.

6'4
262lbs.
4.44 -40yd

i guess thats slow

Forenci
03-10-2007, 09:02 AM

Well, Jacobs isn't terribly slow, though he's not terribly quick either. I think we're still planning on grabbing a Day 2 running back. I'm curious to know where Chris Henry will go in the draft. Would be nice to have a speedster like him or Booker who can catch also.

Would allow us to him eventually too.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-10-2007, 09:02 AM

RD is a decent back, but your team also played a part in it. I am sure RD had his faults, but you guys had injuries on your offensive unit. Fry is a young qb, and your oline is not that good. Factor in facing the Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers, and no wonder it would be tough for RD to be consistent.

I think he would do much better behind our line. Also, he wouldnt be the feature back, Jacobs, would be. So I personally think it was a good deal for us. Not saying it was a bad deal for you guys, because he may not be the proper fit. But in terms of our team, he is a good fit for our situation.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2007, 09:04 AM
We're making more of this than we should. Look, both teams got what they wanted in the trade, it was a good move by both teams.

Both teams basically gave up nothing for their guy, so whats the big deal? If it works, great, if it doesn't, its not like they gave the farm away for him. I think it was a good move for both teams. Id still like a change of pace guy via the draft, but I think we mightve gotten a very good deal out of this.

Hopefully for Tim Carter and Cleveland's sake, they can say the same. Carter has all the talent in the world, but can't catch a cold. Maybe a change of scenery can help him out. And again, if it doesn't work out, big deal, you didn't give up anything for him. This was a very smart move by both GMs.

hugepunch
03-10-2007, 09:05 AM
Well, Jacobs isn't terribly slow, though he's not terribly quick either. I think we're still planning on grabbing a Day 2 running back. I'm curious to know where Chris Henry will go in the draft. Would be nice to have a speedster like him or Booker who can catch also.

Would allow us to him eventually too.hes not the quickest but hes fast, and hes ridiculously fast for a guy his size.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-10-2007, 09:10 AM
We're making more of this than we should. Look, both teams got what they wanted in the trade, it was a good move by both teams.

Both teams basically gave up nothing for their guy, so whats the big deal? If it works, great, if it doesn't, its not like they gave the farm away for him. I think it was a good move for both teams. Id still like a change of pace guy via the draft, but I think we mightve gotten a very good deal out of this.

Hopefully for Tim Carter and Cleveland's sake, they can say the same. Carter has all the talent in the world, but can't catch a cold. Maybe a change of scenery can help him out. And again, if it doesn't work out, big deal, you didn't give up anything for him. This was a very smart move by both GMs.

Both Gms made good moves but perhaps giants fans are more excited because alot of them, used to EA's philosophy, were pissed at Reese for not doing anything, and so this deal, and the circumstances surrounding it made it sweeter. We get to keep our picks, fill a need with a player who could do well for us, and no we can focus on defense. Not only that, we didnt overpay, something EA wouldnt have a problem doing.

So yeah i would disagree and say it is a big deal, but in terms of the person, but factor in who we got, for who, and how patient we were leading up to this trade. Than factor in that this was his first major move, well second if you count the cuts, and I say it is a big deal and thats why Giants fans are happy.

Forenci
03-10-2007, 09:13 AM
RD is a decent back, but your team also played a part in it. I am sure RD had his faults, but you guys had injuries on your offensive unit. Fry is a young qb, and your oline is not that good. Factor in facing the Bengals, Ravens, and Steelers, and no wonder it would be tough for RD to be consistent.

I think he would do much better behind our line. Also, he wouldnt be the feature back, Jacobs, would be. So I personally think it was a good deal for us. Not saying it was a bad deal for you guys, because he may not be the proper fit. But in terms of our team, he is a good fit for our situation.

Indeed, I think he'll do pretty good with our offensive line. We've got an excellent run blocking O-Line with McKenzie, Snee, and various other members of the group.

..and Spectre, I think we're just over exaggerating how the Browns got "completely screwed". I think we're just happy to get rid of one of our most despised players on the Giants roster. One who I believe cost us not only the Cowboys vs Giants (Week 13) but the Colts vs Giants (Week 1). The only good thing he ever did I liked was when he was at the third string against the Eagles and recovered the Burress fumble for a touchdown. It gave me some much needed ammusement being down in that game for so long.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-10-2007, 09:16 AM
Indeed, I think he'll do pretty good with our offensive line. We've got an excellent run blocking O-Line with McKenzie, Snee, and various other members of the group.

..and Spectre, I think we're just over exaggerating how the Browns got "completely screwed". I think we're just happy to get rid of one of our most despised players on the Giants roster. One who I believe cost us not only the Cowboys vs Giants (Week 13) but the Colts vs Giants (Week 1). The only good thing he ever did I liked was when he was at the third string against the Eagles and recovered the Burress fumble for a touchdown. It gave me some much needed ammusement being down in that game for so long.

Yeah perfectly said! We are happy to add a quality player, and plus alot of people hate Carter, almost like the new Ron Dayne, so thats why we kid around and say you guys got screwed, lol.

bigbluedefense
03-10-2007, 09:20 AM
Both Gms made good moves but perhaps giants fans are more excited because alot of them, used to EA's philosophy, were pissed at Reese for not doing anything, and so this deal, and the circumstances surrounding it made it sweeter. We get to keep our picks, fill a need with a player who could do well for us, and no we can focus on defense. Not only that, we didnt overpay, something EA wouldnt have a problem doing.

So yeah i would disagree and say it is a big deal, but in terms of the person, but factor in who we got, for who, and how patient we were leading up to this trade. Than factor in that this was his first major move, well second if you count the cuts, and I say it is a big deal and thats why Giants fans are happy.

Oh don't get me wrong, the more I hear about the trade, the more I like it.

Im saying people are making too much of a big deal out of it by knocking the trade. The people who are killing it don't understand that it was a great move because we both gave up nothing for something in return. Now if it doesn't work out, its not a big deal because there was a very small investment made, but if it does work out, its a steal. So for those who are completely ripping the move, theyre not understanding that its not that big of a move in terms of Winner vs Loser.

Neither team lost anything. If it works its great. If it doesn't, big deal, you didn't lose anything out of this move. There can only be winners out of this trade, neither team "lost" anything.

NY+Giants=NYG
03-10-2007, 09:38 AM
Oh don't get me wrong, the more I hear about the trade, the more I like it.

Im saying people are making too much of a big deal out of it by knocking the trade. The people who are killing it don't understand that it was a great move because we both gave up nothing for something in return. Now if it doesn't work out, its not a big deal because there was a very small investment made, but if it does work out, its a steal. So for those who are completely ripping the move, theyre not understanding that its not that big of a move in terms of Winner vs Loser.

Neither team lost anything. If it works its great. If it doesn't, big deal, you didn't lose anything out of this move. There can only be winners out of this trade, neither team "lost" anything.

I agree with that. I guess I misread the other. Well said, I agree with what you said.

Freddy G
03-10-2007, 10:19 AM
How in the world is thread getting so long.

Droughns is trash, Carter worse trash and i doubt either will be on their new team by the time the O8 draft rolls around.

The Giants act like they got something, albeit better than the Browns end of the deal, but that is merely relative as neither player really has any business being on the field for any extended amount of time.

PoopSandwich
03-10-2007, 10:39 AM
Droughns has some baggage as well, he was involved in a domestic violence case, a drunken driving case... So don't act like you are getting a steal here, Reuben is a decent player, I liked him here, but he isn't a 1,200 yard back anymore...

Tim Carter on the other hand sounds horrible lol.

Non_Sequitur
03-10-2007, 11:25 AM
Brandon Jacobs/RB/Southern Illinois.

6'4
262lbs.
4.44 -40yd

i guess thats slow

1.69 - 10yd
4.49 - SS
7.54 - 3-Cone

Yeah, that is slow.

jetsfan3
03-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Both of these players will have no impact on their team's performance. This player trade is equal to this draft trade:

Giants trade 2 7th rounders and recieve a late 6th rounder.

Jughead10
03-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Both of these players will have no impact on their team's performance. This player trade is equal to this draft trade:

Giants trade 2 7th rounders and recieve a late 6th rounder.

In 2005 Droughns had basically exactly the same amount of production as Thomas Jones did this past year. I find it hard to believe he fell that far off the map in one year. Either way he will be the second back in a 2 back attack. Jacobs will get more carries.

eacantdraft
03-10-2007, 01:49 PM
I never seen so many people get so excited over a 28 year old RB who is coming off a year with under 4.0 TPC, was on the verge of getting release, and is nothing more than a backup at this stage of his career.

Man_Of_Steel
03-10-2007, 02:50 PM
Browns got a bad deal.

Number 10
03-10-2007, 03:38 PM
I never seen so many people get so excited over a 28 year old RB who is coming off a year with under 4.0 TPC, was on the verge of getting release, and is nothing more than a backup at this stage of his career.

Noone is overly excited about Droughns, but getting him at a cheap price for arguably the worst football player on the Giants made this a good deal.

Damix
03-10-2007, 03:54 PM

Maybe because what the Giants needed was a veteran back up?

culloden1745
03-10-2007, 04:18 PM

Its not getting Droughns, its cutting loose the baggage. Droughns might only be the 2-3rd back, but he'll probably contribute more to the team then Carter would have. By getting him, Giants can wait until later and use a lower draft pick on a back, let Droughns, Ward, Cedric Humes, and whoever fight it out for the 3-4 spots. Backup rbs contribute whether on the field or in the locker room by mentoring the young backs
Then replace Carter with someone else, anyone. My7 y/o son caught 20 passes in pal football.......