PDA

View Full Version : Vikes Pre Season game #1 @ Indy

General Zod
08-14-2009, 04:12 PM
I'll go ahead and make a thread for the game tonight. Even if I just yammer at myself. lol

Im anxious to see if Havin gets the ball any tonight.

the_legend_killer
08-14-2009, 05:18 PM
Alas, the major downfall of living in the heart of Packer country, I will not be able to see the game, that is unless someone has some sort of magical way.....anyone......? Eh, it was worth a shot. I'll prolly put NFL Gameday (Not the game, the tracker) on and see how it goes.

yo123
08-14-2009, 05:37 PM
Damn good thing I double checked the game time, I was thinking it was at 7 not 6:30.

I'll probably just watch the first half or so.

The_Dude
08-14-2009, 05:59 PM
It doesn't really matter that it is a practice game tonight... we are very excited about watching Vikings football tonight at The_Dude's house. :D

yo123
08-14-2009, 06:35 PM
There's the kickoff!

Damn I missed football.

General Zod
08-14-2009, 06:45 PM
Great first drive. Rosenfel looked sharp in that series. Couple nice 4th and short conversions.

yo123
08-14-2009, 06:46 PM
Very impressive. That drive right there is why I think Sage is our best choice. He made a couple throws and decisions on that drive that I don't think T-Jack makes.

General Zod
08-14-2009, 06:48 PM
Shank had some nice catches too.

yo123
08-14-2009, 06:49 PM
Shank had some nice catches too.

I love that he doesn't suck anymore.

General Zod
08-14-2009, 06:53 PM
lol, that ref sounded like darth vader!

and we are killing manning, 3 sacks in the first series!

yo123
08-14-2009, 06:54 PM
Damn, the D-line is getting some great pressure on Manning. Evans is looking real good.

General Zod
08-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Shank keeps making these nice tough catches. Im impressed.

yo123
08-14-2009, 07:10 PM
I hope this is the special teams we'll be seeing during the regular season.

Our special teams was downright embarrassing last year.

General Zod
08-14-2009, 07:16 PM
That rookie punter for the Colts is crushing that ball! lol

64 yarder followed by a 62 yarder.

Sadly for the Colts its been there highlight so far. There offense really looks out of sync. Manning is already done for the day at the start of the 2nd quarter.

Looks like defensivly a lot of our back ups are in also.

The_Dude
08-14-2009, 07:17 PM
T-Jack looks great! :D

General Zod
08-14-2009, 07:19 PM
yeah, very nice

got sacked twice, and threw the ball behind Rice.

General Zod
08-14-2009, 07:24 PM
wow! Donald Brown is tearing us up! lol

Seriously the guy has some moves!

General Zod
08-14-2009, 07:35 PM
Jackson looks terrible.

So far, Harvin hasnt seen the field yet in the first half.

yo123
08-14-2009, 07:41 PM
I don't know who #92 is for the Colts but he's tearing Loadholt a new one right now.

And Harvin hasn't been on the field yet because he's hurt.

General Zod
08-14-2009, 08:11 PM
Ryan Cook is getting man handled by the Colts 2nd team defense.

Jasper Brinkly looks really good so far. Almost had a pick also.

DHVF
08-14-2009, 08:16 PM
Damn, I'm really likin our depth on defense. These linebackers are just flyin and the guys up front are just workin Indy's oline.

General Zod
08-14-2009, 08:21 PM
Who is #68 at center for us right now? That snap would have landed in Muncie! lol

General Zod
08-14-2009, 08:49 PM
ahhh, its just not a Vikings game without a false start from Ryan Cook! lol

Edit: Make that 2 false starts in the same drive!

The_Dude
08-14-2009, 08:51 PM
i hope that we have many games without a mention of cook in them

General Zod
08-14-2009, 09:47 PM
Overall I thought the first team offense looked good tonight. Rosenfel looked much better then Jackson. Jackson got more playing time, but a lot of his throws were off target. Took a couple sacks, had that "deer in headlights" look on his face.

The first team O line looked good. Sullivan looked solid. Loadholt looked good for the most part. Had trouble with some of the smaller quicker DLs.

Defense looked great, EJ is back! Lotsa pressure on the QBs tonight.

I think we had great LB play tonight as well. Jasper Brinkly only had 2 tackles, but he was everywhere tonight, he impressed me.

I thought Albert Young looked good tonight running the ball.

marshallb
08-14-2009, 10:37 PM
Overall I thought the first team offense looked good tonight. Rosenfel looked much better then Jackson. Jackson got more playing time, but a lot of his throws were off target. Took a couple sacks, had that "deer in headlights" look on his face.

The first team O line looked good. Sullivan looked solid. Loadholt looked good for the most part. Had trouble with some of the smaller quicker DLs.

Defense looked great, EJ is back! Lotsa pressure on the QBs tonight.

I think we had great LB play tonight as well. Jasper Brinkly only had 2 tackles, but he was everywhere tonight, he impressed me.

I thought Albert Young looked good tonight running the ball.

I also thought Young looked good, but Ian Johnson looked just as impressive. That should be a great battle for the #3 RB spot.

Onto some of the other battles:
Sage definitely won this one night. We'll see how T-Jack looks with the ones next game.
Nickel CB still looks to be up in the air to me. Asher Allen looked good from what I saw(I did miss the end of the 3rd and first 5 minutes of the 4th). McCauley made a nice play breaking a pass up, and I didn't see Sapp get burnt.
Brinkley looked very good as did all of the LBs, and I think he pulled ahead of Herron.
Loadholt didn't look great as he got beat upfield by a Colts DE(not sure who) a couple times, and had a false start penalty. Cook was brutal though. Several penalties, and he got beat on a couple plays as well.
The starting D looked great. Manning never had a chance. The rest of the D looked good, except when we got torched by Brown on a couple long runs.

All in all a good night, but there are definitely some things that still need to be worked on.

JFLO
08-15-2009, 10:40 AM
I wasn't able to watch the game but from what I've seen in the box score, I feel pretty good after one preseason game.

I'm glad both Ian Johnson and Jasper Brinkley got in some good time and production.

Also, very happy to see that no sacks were given up by the offensive line and from the looks of it a very good night running the ball. I don't think we'll have a serious threat from opposing defensive front sevens until possibly Dallas, when they may not even play there starters that much.

vikes_28
08-15-2009, 02:21 PM
Rosenfels 4 MVP

Crazy_Chris
08-15-2009, 08:36 PM
I love what I saw from Vistanthe Shiancoe, looks even more likely now that he will pick up right where he left off at the end of last season.

Also as no surprise the first team defense is looking very good.

Ozzy
08-17-2009, 06:35 AM
Very impressive first game for the Vikings. Mr. Sullivan, I have been bagging on a lot recently, but I will be honest I was not disappointed in him his first game. He is still not going to physically dominate anyone, but is a lot more athletic than I remember him at Notre Dame, has a little nasty to him and actually pulled quite well on a few running plays. Then again not like Indy has the best DTs in the world either. But he looked solid and so did Loadholt, very good looking front and with those two big offensive tackles, they will be able to physically control the line of scrimmage at times.

Clearly Sage is better than Tarvaris, or at least played better, then again Tarvaris came in and did not get the same pass protection Sage did. But he was just way more accurate and calm in the pocket and that is the entire point. See what Tarvaris does next week.

Really liked Johnson returning punts, looked very smooth, quick guy and made a nice catch playing offense as well. Should be a fine 4th or 5th WR.

Again loved the running backs, Young looked better than I thought and I really liked what Ian Johnson did. Thing is we already have thick power guys, so getting Young would be odd because Johnson has a little more quickness and agility to his game. Really wish they got more reps for Antone Smith though, see what he does next week.

On defense, Asher Allen looked outstanding, very good little corner and is a lot more physically tough than he was at Georgia. He could always cover but I liked him tackling. Tyrell Johnson made one big time hit in the open field, he did not do that all of last season. Still want to see more of him in pass coverage however against actual receivers and not backups. Sanford looked like a man out there, I would be quite pissed if we cut him.

Karl Paymah is as well as cut, why keep him? I would take Allen and Sapp over him any day and McCauley made some ok plays on the ball in pass coverage, Paymah did very little. He is going to have to pick it up.

Brinkley looked outstanding, what a fine group of linebackers, Erin Henderson was a flat out beast at times as well, played a lot more like he did in college, attacking the ball carrier. Brinkley moves so well on the field, those two should easily make the team.

And heck, even Glenn Holt got into the action and made some good special teams plays and had a decent grab.

Overall very talented roster top to bottom, one of the best the Vikings have had in possibly a decade if you look at every single position.