PDA

View Full Version : Blocking TE's?

Xonraider
08-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Who are the best blocking tight ends in the league?

Brent
08-15-2009, 09:45 PM
Vernon Davis is one of them.

Thumper
08-15-2009, 09:46 PM
Jason Witten is pretty good at run blocking.

The Dynasty
08-15-2009, 09:47 PM
Jim Kleinsasser.

http://img2.allposters.com/images/PHO/fb_AAHK061_8x10.jpg

brat316
08-15-2009, 09:50 PM
Heath Miller

Thumper
08-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Jim Kleinsasser.

Winner. Kleinsasser is a great blocker.

A Perfect Score
08-15-2009, 10:12 PM
Todd Heap.

Wait, what?

Bengalsrocket
08-15-2009, 10:22 PM
Probably not the best, but a highly underrated blocker (because of his catching ability) is Tony G. He helped the chiefs a lot on running plays, and if you watch the film of the last 2-3 years his technique seems to be perfect.

WMD
08-15-2009, 10:23 PM
Brandon Pettigrew!

TACKLE
08-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Vernon Davis is one of them.

QFT. VD is a great blocker.

Brent
08-15-2009, 11:05 PM
QFT. VD is a great blocker.
Seriously. In our game against the Dolphins last year, he completely shut down Joey Porter. Supposedly, he's looking amazing in camp, so maybe this is the year that he FINALLY realizes his potential.

Thumper
08-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Seriously. In our game against the Dolphins last year, he completely shut down Joey Porter. Supposedly, he's looking amazing in camp, so maybe this is the year that he FINALLY realizes his potential.

He did look really good in the pre-season game yesterday as well so... I might just be picking him up as my back-up TE in my fantasy drafts.

jimmylishis
08-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Jim Kleinsasser.

yep the Kleinsausage is definitely the best blocking TE in the league

BlindSite
08-16-2009, 01:19 AM
Forgive me for sounding cynical but I'll be really surprised if VD ever becomes the weapon he was hyped to be coming out.

Throw in Algae Crumpler as one of the better blockers too.

Jeff King gets a minor mention, he's not top 5 but he's in the upper half at least, bigger part than people realise in Carolina's offense.

RaiderNation
08-16-2009, 01:33 AM
Zach Miller is a alright blocker

themaninblack
08-16-2009, 02:39 AM
Reggie Kelly is a hell of a blocker. He's basically like an extra tackle out there. It's really unfortunate that he is going to be out for the season.

Timbathia
08-16-2009, 02:41 AM
Why has no one mentioned Daniel Graham? The dude is essentially a third tackle.

D-Unit
08-16-2009, 03:07 AM
Martellus Bennett is a friggen ROAD GRADER. Better recognize.

yourfavestoner
08-16-2009, 03:11 AM
Jeremy Shockey.

eaglesalltheway
08-16-2009, 10:06 AM
Martellus Bennett is a friggen ROAD GRADER. Better recognize.

Wait... what? lol.

Kleinsausage (LMAO at that), VD, Witten are all great blockers. I can't really add anything else that hasn't already been said.

Splat
08-16-2009, 10:30 AM
I miss Jason Dunn he was like the 6th man for the OL. :(

aNYtitan
08-16-2009, 10:47 AM
What happened with him, he sort of just got lost out in San Fran, and he was drafted and people thought he had Pro Bowl written all over him, with his physicality and athleticism. That he shows great blocking is icing

NY+Giants=NYG
08-16-2009, 10:50 AM
That's probably one of the most hardest questions to answer. What someone has to do, is get cut ups of every single play from every single TE blocking, and go over each play 1 by 1 and then make an evaluation over technique, effort, and assignment.

That's how I graded my TE corps after each game. Long process but you go over every single play and block and grade the player based on each of the 3 variables I listed above. That would be the most accurate way to evaluate this.

xxxxxxxx
08-16-2009, 11:03 AM
Wait... what? lol.

Kleinsausage (LMAO at that), VD, Witten are all great blockers. I can't really add anything else that hasn't already been said.

martellus bennett played at A&M. he is an animal blocker

Brent
08-16-2009, 11:27 AM
What happened with him, he sort of just got lost out in San Fran, and he was drafted and people thought he had Pro Bowl written all over him, with his physicality and athleticism. That he shows great blocking is icing
poor QB play, and bad hands

martellus bennett played at A&M. he is an animal blocker
That joke sucks.

xxxxxxxx
08-16-2009, 11:32 AM
poor QB play, and bad hands

That joke sucks.

Just because martellus is the T.O. (personality wise) of tight ends doesn't mean he isn't a good blocker. He is a very good blocker. Please know what your talking about before you write him off. He is probably in the upper echelon of blocking tight ends in the NFL.

Brent
08-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Just because martellus is the T.O. (personality wise) of tight ends doesn't mean he isn't a good blocker. He is a very good blocker. Please know what your talking about before you write him off. He is probably in the upper echelon of blocking tight ends in the NFL.
No, your A&M joke sucks. That is what I am saying.

Don't talk trash about a school you know little about.

xxxxxxxx
08-16-2009, 11:41 AM
Well that's what pretty much every scouting report says. Obviously i meant before they installed the pro-style offense.

But anyway, Martellus is a surprisingly good blocker. Sorry for the confrontation.

ChezPower4
08-16-2009, 11:46 AM
Dustin Keller......

Sniper
08-16-2009, 11:47 AM
LJ Smith is basically a 7th, 8th, and 9th OL out there.

Brent
08-16-2009, 12:23 PM
Well that's what pretty much every scouting report says. Obviously i meant before they installed the pro-style offense.

But anyway, Martellus is a surprisingly good blocker. Sorry for the confrontation.
I thought you were saying he blocked animals because he went to A&M. If that was an intended joke, it was not funny. If you were saying he is an animal at blocking, my mistake.

yourfavestoner
08-16-2009, 12:58 PM
I thought you were saying he blocked animals because he went to A&M. If that was an intended joke, it was not funny. If you were saying he is an animal at blocking, my mistake.

Looks like someone got defensive a little early ;)

TACKLE
08-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Brandon Manumaleuna is probably the best. He's like 300lbs and he's basically like an extra offensive lineman. Though he does have better hands and speed than you might expect.

49ersfan_87
08-16-2009, 01:09 PM
Forgive me for sounding cynical but I'll be really surprised if VD ever becomes the weapon he was hyped to be coming out.

He may not live up to his immense hype, but i still expect him to have a breakout year.

He's had trash throwing him the rock like Alex Smith, Trent Dilfer, Chris Weinke, and J.T. O'Sullivan. And he was basically used as a deep threat WR instead of as a TE last year.

Our new OC is installing a TE-friendly system. Look for him to get an increase in all major statistical receiving categories.

Xonraider
08-16-2009, 02:40 PM
according to the answers every Tight End is the best blocking tight end in the NFL.. lol

KCJ58
08-16-2009, 02:41 PM
Craig Stevens is on his way to the top

phlysac
08-16-2009, 02:51 PM
Jerramy Stevens

/thread

:D

d34ng3l021
08-16-2009, 06:02 PM
Titans rookie TE Jared Cook revealed that Alge Crumpler is up to 300 pounds.
We're not surprised after seeing him in the Hall of Fame Game. Crump is very nimble for a 300-pounder, but his main role will be to block this year.

Yeah. I bet at 300 lbs, Crumpler does a fine job at blocking...

Brent
08-16-2009, 06:17 PM
Looks like someone got defensive a little early ;)
When people make fun of A&M it's incredibly annoying. I could rattle on and on about why it's annoying, but I wont unless it's necessary.

CJSchneider
08-16-2009, 06:41 PM
What is the difference between the Aggies and Rice Crispies?
Rice Crispies know what to do in a bowl.

:D

Jakey
08-16-2009, 06:53 PM
Some of the best imo...

- Brandon Manumaleuna
- Jim Klingonsasser
- Jason Witten
- Heath Miller
- That dude on the browns...cant remember his name.

ChezPower4
08-16-2009, 08:35 PM
according to the answers every Tight End is the best blocking tight end in the NFL.. lol

This thread has turned into a homerfest

BlindSite
08-16-2009, 08:43 PM
It always happens when you ask "who's the best at X" people are going to put forward names of players they support. That being said, no ones really making lists or saying "THIS DUDE IS THE BEST EVER" just listing guys who can legitimately get it done.

Timbathia
08-16-2009, 11:15 PM
I googled NFL best blocking TEs just then, and one of the first sites that came up was NFL gobbledegook who had Daniel Graham at number 1. At least there is someone else who agrees with me :)

7-11
08-16-2009, 11:37 PM
It always happens when you ask "who's the best at X" people are going to put forward names of players they support. That being said, no ones really making lists or saying "THIS DUDE IS THE BEST EVER" just listing guys who can legitimately get it done.

Dallas Clark is NOT the best blocking tight end in the game.

Someone has to buck the trend.

DoughBoy
08-16-2009, 11:40 PM
Does anyone actually know who the best blocking TE in the leauge is? I mean sure you can watch and tell who is good and who isnt but I doubt anyone at home looks at at every tight ends technique and compares them to the rest of the players in the NFL. When you ask a question like this you are going to get homer answers because I doubt any of us care how some other scrub teams TEs are at blocking.

Mr. Stiller
08-17-2009, 02:17 AM
Some of the best imo...

- Brandon Manumaleuna
- Jim Klingonsasser
- Jason Witten
- Heath Miller
- That dude on the browns...cant remember his name.

Darnell Dinkins?

7-11
08-17-2009, 02:49 AM
Darnell Dinkins?

Think he means Steve Heiden.

holt_bruce81
08-17-2009, 02:54 AM
Billy Bajema is supposed to be one of the better Blocking Tight Ends out there.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-17-2009, 07:24 AM
Does anyone actually know who the best blocking TE in the leauge is? I mean sure you can watch and tell who is good and who isnt but I doubt anyone at home looks at at every tight ends technique and compares them to the rest of the players in the NFL. When you ask a question like this you are going to get homer answers because I doubt any of us care how some other scrub teams TEs are at blocking.

Nope.. I am sure there a lot of good ones. But pretty much taking names out of the sky and listing them. This is one of those questions that is almost impossible for anyone to answer with accuracy.

bigbluedefense
08-17-2009, 08:56 AM
id say the best 2 way TE (guys who can block and catch) is probably Jason Witten.

pure blocking TEs....thats hard to say. there's a lot of em.

Jakey
08-17-2009, 09:15 AM
Think he means Steve Heiden.

Yep, thats the one! :p

xxxxxxxx
08-17-2009, 09:58 AM

WOW... I clearly meant he is animal at blocking. hahahaha. sorry for the confusion.

xxxxxxxx
08-17-2009, 10:01 AM
id say the best 2 way TE (guys who can block and catch) is probably Jason Witten.

pure blocking TEs....thats hard to say. there's a lot of em.

To be honest, I think Martellus may end up being greater. He will never take witten's starting spot for obvious reasons, and he may become great elsewhere, but he is gong to be special.

He is more of a freak than Vernon Davis. I promise i'm not being a homer. The kid is an absolute BEAST.

08-17-2009, 10:11 AM
Pettigrew could possibly be one of the top 10 best 2-way TEs from day one. I think he could be that good, especially if Stafford gets the starting nod early into the season. He's like a Witten clone.

superman8456
08-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Marttellus Bennett is gonna be a great two way tight end.

bigbluedefense
08-17-2009, 10:28 AM
To be honest, I think Martellus may end up being greater. He will never take witten's starting spot for obvious reasons, and he may become great elsewhere, but he is gong to be special.

He is more of a freak than Vernon Davis. I promise i'm not being a homer. The kid is an absolute BEAST.

I know. Bennett is a beast in the making. The only thing that could hold him back is his maturity. But if he keeps his head on straight, this guy is gonna be an absolute monster.

xxxxxxxx
08-17-2009, 12:03 PM
Thank you that some people agree and don't think im a dallas homer. Even a giants fan.

I just hope we can somehow keep him when his rookie contract is done. But that is 3 years away.

bigbluedefense
08-17-2009, 12:06 PM
Thank you that some people agree and don't think im a dallas homer. Even a giants fan.

I just hope we can somehow keep him when his rookie contract is done. But that is 3 years away.

its gonna be hard to keep him and Witten.

someone will offer him more money, unless you lose Witten in the future and keep Bennett. Either way, its gonna be a blow.

xxxxxxxx
08-17-2009, 12:08 PM
its gonna be hard to keep him and Witten.

someone will offer him more money, unless you lose Witten in the future and keep Bennett. Either way, its gonna be a blow.

To be honest, by then, unless Bennett completely flops, I'd rather keep martellus. He basically is witten just a physical freak. You would think he is a bad blocker because of his T.O.-esque attitude and being a good reciever, but he is an excellent blocker to top it off.

You really can't stop him.

bigbluedefense
08-17-2009, 12:15 PM
To be honest, by then, unless Bennett completely flops, I'd rather keep martellus. He basically is witten just a physical freak. You would think he is a bad blocker because of his T.O.-esque attitude and being a good reciever, but he is an excellent blocker to top it off.

You really can't stop him.

Witten is so clutch though. Sometimes its not always about measurables. Let's see Bennett prove his worth in the 4th quarter before we say he's better than Witten.

In my opinion, Witten is the best TE in the league.

xxxxxxxx
08-17-2009, 12:17 PM
You do have me there. I'm just getting over excited about bennett.

I love his hands the most. They are like foot long bear paws.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-17-2009, 12:18 PM
Yep, thats the one! :p

Witten is so clutch though. Sometimes its not always about measurables. Let's see Bennett prove his worth in the 4th quarter before we say he's better than Witten.

In my opinion, Witten is the best TE in the league.

I'd go with Tony G. That guy is a legend, and still is as sick as ever. Witten is a great TE, and M. B. is coming along according to Coach Garrett. I got the impression he is doing right things, but still has a ways to go.

bigbluedefense
08-17-2009, 12:21 PM
I'd go with Tony G. That guy is a legend, and still is as sick as ever. Witten is a great TE, and M. B. is coming along according to Coach Garrett. I got the impression he is doing right things, but still has a ways to go.

Tony G is probably the best ever, and still amazing, but right here right now, Witten is better.

Tony is still top 5 easy though even at his current age.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-17-2009, 12:24 PM
Tony G is probably the best ever, and still amazing, but right here right now, Witten is better.

Tony is still top 5 easy though even at his current age.

I'd still go with Tony G. Guy does everything virtually perfect. Barely, if ever, drops passes, is pretty fast, which I didn't notice until I saw him up close, and does a very good job run blocking too. Not only that he his personality is very good. Out going guy who will come up to you and talk to you, and say hello every time.

Witten is a damn good TE, great hands, and runs blocks very well. But I wouldn't say he is better than TG. Witten is a cool guy, but seems to be on the quiet side.

Both are great TEs, but I'd still take Tony G every time over any TE in the game. Good locker room player, and just a good player to have in your franchise.

xxxxxxxx
08-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Oh and let's not forget Marty B's 4th quarter game winner in washington on sunday night last year. 40 yards over landry.

The kid can perform.

thenewfeature06
08-17-2009, 12:27 PM
Cooley can block like a champion

America
08-17-2009, 12:37 PM
Anthony Becht used to be a great blocker back in the day.

Gay Ork Wang
08-17-2009, 12:40 PM
Oh and let's not forget Marty B's 4th quarter game winner in washington on sunday night last year. 40 yards over landry.

The kid can perform.
omg stop the man love. He had 20 Receptions so far. Even if he is that good, let him perform first. On the field in a game is a total different thing.

08-17-2009, 12:46 PM

The kid can perform.

It was 25 yards, but yeah, keep up the man love lol.

tjsunstein
08-17-2009, 12:52 PM
I remember Dunn from the Chiefs used to be top notch. Are we talking best two way guys or the guys who are sent out there strictly for the blocking?

DMWSackMachine
08-17-2009, 01:35 PM
In what world was Tony G ever a good blocker? I realize he's improved, but early on he was basically Antonio Gates. He was split out at least half of all downs, including running downs, and back in the day you would continually hear references to his shoddy blocking.

This is a case of severe revisionist history if you ask me.

As for the best blocking TEs right now, KC Joyner keeps track of this in his Scientific Football books. I don't know what last year's numbers say, but at this point I would say the top 5 would look something like this:

Graham
Manumaleuna
Witten
Kleinsasser
H. Miller

A few years ago Kyle Brady was easily the best in the league. He would regularly demolish LBs and safeties in the run game.

Keep an eye on Pettigrew and Bennett over the next few years. They could be moving into the conversation.

bigbluedefense
08-17-2009, 02:22 PM
Yeah I was gonna say Kyle Brady but he's like 50 now. But in his day, the man was like another OL on the field.

Speaking of 2 way TEs, Visante Shincaoe is an overlooked name. The guy can block with the best of em, and has really picked it up in the pass game lately.

I can make an argument that he always had the potential with the Vikings, but was held back by terrible qb play. But Im curious to see how he performs this year.

Keep an eye on my boy Zach Miller too. The guy is a beast who's handcuffed by a terrible offense.

SuperMcGee
08-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Keep an eye on my boy Zach Miller too. The guy is a beast who's handcuffed by a terrible offense.

Miller is outstanding in Oakland, one of my favorite young players in the game.

I wish Buffalo had anyone that could be even considered good at blocking. You'd think we would at least have someone good at catching for this to be a problem. Come on, Nelson!

08-17-2009, 02:43 PM
I wish Buffalo had anyone that could be even considered good at blocking. You'd think we would at least have someone good at catching for this to be a problem. Come on, Nelson!

I'm afraid Nelson will be great at both phases, but exceptional in none. We'll have to see. Nice TD grab in the last game, though.

SuperMcGee
08-17-2009, 02:53 PM
I'm afraid Nelson will be great at both phases, but exceptional in none. We'll have to see. Nice TD grab in the last game, though.

That was a great thing to see. I love having actual redzone targets nowadays. I would've killed someone if I saw one more fade to Evans. I also liked seeing Nelson snag that real low pass on his other catch. I was in the 200's on the opposite side of the field, but it looked like a nice snare to me.

It really shouldn't be a problem for him to move up the depth chart. But he still hasn't had much time with our top 2 QBs. You'd like a great blocker to play with our shoddy line, but we don't have that anyway. Nelson needs to be the answer out of this group.

08-17-2009, 03:01 PM
That was a great thing to see. I love having actual redzone targets nowadays. I would've killed someone if I saw one more fade to Evans. I also liked seeing Nelson snag that real low pass on his other catch. I was in the 200's on the opposite side of the field, but it looked like a nice snare to me.

It really shouldn't be a problem for him to move up the depth chart. But he still hasn't had much time with our top 2 QBs. You'd like a great blocker to play with our shoddy line, but we don't have that anyway. Nelson needs to be the answer out of this group.

I wouldn't expect him to contribute very much in the passing game until your line is in better shape. He'll probably be a great situational guy in special packages like that redzone play where they lined him up wide. I hope they don't let another big, athletic target go to waste much like what happened with Hardy last year.

CC.SD
08-17-2009, 03:06 PM
umm...not Gates. Brandon Manumaleuna has some shining moments when it comes to blocking, plus he is huge, 300+. Not super consistent though.

xxxxxxxx
08-17-2009, 04:09 PM
It was 25 yards, but yeah, keep up the man love lol.

hahaha the man love.

His personality makes him great. He is kinda like T.O. but he isn't a team killer. He knows the time and place.

Jimmy
08-17-2009, 04:43 PM
The sad thing is I dont think Kwame Harris would be top 100 on this list if he was a TE

08-17-2009, 04:44 PM
The sad thing is I dont think Kwame Harris would be top 100 on this list if he was a TE

He doesn't deserve to be on the field in any capacity.

BlindSite
08-17-2009, 05:20 PM
umm...not Gates. Brandon Manumaleuna has some shining moments when it comes to blocking, plus he is huge, 300+. Not super consistent though.

Manumaleuna is a great blocking TE, not a terrible receiver either. Part of the reason why he's never been on the heap for long when his contracts run out.

Jimmy
08-17-2009, 05:29 PM
I guess Daniel Graham is a pretty good blocker. Not 30 Million good, but good.
Personally, I've always thought the best was this guy for the Cheifss a few years ago... I think his name was Dunn, he was pretty effective, at least against Denver.

Edit:
out of the afc west i'd say Kleinsasser

Thumper
08-17-2009, 05:35 PM
hahaha the man love.

His personality makes him great. He is kinda like T.O. but he isn't a team killer. He knows the time and place.

I think Bennett is closer to Chad Ochocinco personality wise

Vox Populi
08-18-2009, 12:05 AM
Is Breuner still playing for the Texans or has he retired? He's always been a great blocker throughout his career with the Steelers and Texans. He too was kind of like Kyle Brady but an even worse receiver. Not a very productive first rounder, but did a lot of big things in the running game.

If he retired, I think Daniel Graham would be the most commonly mentioned name for the spot. Also, for the Martellus Bennett love (I love it as an Aggie fan), he isn't the best in-line blocker, but he will knock some heads off down field and on tosses/reverses/bootlegs if you aren't paying attention and don't have your head on a swivel.

Brent
08-18-2009, 12:58 AM
I love it as an Aggie fan
Whoa, whoa, whoa. I'm not the only one on the site? *cue tears of joy*