PDA

View Full Version : Corey Williams to the Panthers?

RaiderNation
08-16-2009, 01:09 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/16/panthers-looking-at-corey-williams/

Under G.M. Phil Savage, the Browns acquired defensive tackle Corey Williams from the Packers for a second-round pick, and promptly gave him a big deal with over $16 million in guarantees.

Just a year later, another team may be trying to take him from the Browns.

Panthers G.M. Marty Hurney was in Green Bay Bay Saturday night, reportedly to look at Williams. (Hopefully he enjoyed the game more than Eric Mangini, who was "fuming" after a lackluster 17-0 loss.)

Williams has struggled to adapt to a 3-4 defense, rarely showing the skills that made him a quality starter as a defensive tackle in Green Bay.

In Carolina, Williams would be asked to move back to tackle, where even Pro Bowl linebacker Jon Beason said the team "definitely" needs to sign a veteran after losing Ma'aake Kemoeatu for the season during training camp.

Makes sense for any team that needs a DT to try to get this guy. Had 7 sacks each season before last year. He seems like a good fit for Carolina. Would love the raiders to try to get him next to Kelly.

TACKLE
08-16-2009, 01:13 PM
Good signing by the Panthers. They needed DT help before Kemoeatu went down. Williams was kind of place playing the 3-4 DE anyway.

Gay Ork Wang
08-16-2009, 01:13 PM
havent signed him yet

RaiderNation
08-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Theres a question mark after the name of the thread. Probably should of made it a different title.

cvv84
08-16-2009, 02:52 PM
I always thought to myself that Williams wouldn't work out when we traded him to Cleveland. He was never a full time starter for us and he was at his best when he was playing in a rotation. He's a good run stopper but he's more effective at penetrating the pocket.

Vikes99ej
08-16-2009, 03:11 PM
This is a rumor. Do we really need a thread regarding some mediocre defensive tackle?

RaiderNation
08-16-2009, 03:34 PM
14 sacks in 2 years is mediocre? Didnt play in the right system last year so he didnt have good #'s but I believe he can be a good DT in a4-3

MidwayMonster31
08-16-2009, 04:48 PM
He looked like he didn't fit at all in the 3-4 and Cleveland didn't realize this until well after they gave him that gargantuan contract. I also think that he can get it done in an aggressive 4-3 defense.

ChezPower4
08-16-2009, 04:50 PM
He was a pretty good player for us two years in our 4-3. I really didn't think Corey would perform well in the 3-4, which turned out to be true. I think he'll have a much better year now that he's back in a 4-3 system.

BlindSite
08-16-2009, 05:10 PM
It would be a great move for the Panthers as realistically, anyone is better than the guys they have. The issue is, I doubt Carolina would be able to afford his cap hit, or absorb the cap hit or whomever we traded either.

The cap all coming due from trading a player would but the Panthers over. Absorbing Williams salary would likely do the same thing.

Geo
08-16-2009, 05:38 PM
Not necessarily. Getting specific numbers/details from Rotoworld ...

Assuming the Browns have already paid the $6M roster bonus (and the $100K workout bonus if applicable), which is very likely, then the Panthers would only be on the hook for $1.7M this year.

(Next year is when the base salary begins to jump, at $4.2M in '10, $4.9M in '11, $4.9M in '12, and $5.4M in '13. And there is one remaining roster bonus, $1.7M for next season, as well a $100K workout bonus for each of the remaining seasons.)

Although the Panthers could cut him at any time without penalty other than that 2010 roster bonus if parties reach that point. Especially helpful if there is a lockout.

Cleveland would immediately be on the hook for the remaining amount of the $6.5M signing bonus given last year, in addition to the aforementioned $6M roster bonus for this year.

Unless the Panthers can't afford $1.7M or restructure $1.7M available for Williams this season, I suppose.

BlindSite
08-16-2009, 08:47 PM
Not necessarily. Getting specific numbers/details from Rotoworld ...

Assuming the Browns have already paid the $6M roster bonus (and the $100K workout bonus if applicable), which is very likely, then the Panthers would only be on the hook for $1.7M this year.

(Next year is when the base salary begins to jump, at $4.2M in '10, $4.9M in '11, $4.9M in '12, and $5.4M in '13. And there is one remaining roster bonus, $1.7M for next season, as well a $100K workout bonus for each of the remaining seasons.)

Although the Panthers could cut him at any time without penalty other than that 2010 roster bonus if parties reach that point. Especially helpful if there is a lockout.

Cleveland would immediately be on the hook for the remaining amount of the $6.5M signing bonus given last year, in addition to the aforementioned $6M roster bonus for this year.

Unless the Panthers can't afford $1.7M or restructure $1.7M available for Williams this season, I suppose.

I haven't seen an updated figure, nor had the time to try and estimate what the current cap situation is, but this might very really be an issue.

Depends on who we have that's worth extending and restructuring.

Next years salaries for him aren't that big of a deal since next year there figures to be a 17million dollar free up.

ShutDwn
08-16-2009, 09:14 PM
I haven't seen an updated figure, nor had the time to try and estimate what the current cap situation is, but this might very really be an issue.

Depends on who we have that's worth extending and restructuring.

Next years salaries for him aren't that big of a deal since next year there figures to be a 17million dollar free up.

Mart Hurney would definitely be able to restructure someone to free up that much money, it's basically what he does.

PACKmanN
08-17-2009, 01:22 AM
14 sacks in 2 years is mediocre? Didnt play in the right system last year so he didnt have good #'s but I believe he can be a good DT in a4-3

He isn't a full time starter, he needs to rotate with someone, but his contract will never allow anyone to do that.

drowe
08-17-2009, 09:37 AM
question for blindsite:

why is your sig a blatent late hit on a defenseless QB?

is that really the best play you could find, or do you just hate aaron rodgers?

ShutDwn
08-17-2009, 09:52 AM
question for blindsite:

why is your sig a blatent late hit on a defenseless QB?

is that really the best play you could find, or do you just hate aaron rodgers?

Ewww seems like his signature struck a chord? I think this post completely dedicated to his signature makes it completely worth it, other than it being a sweet hit, regardless if it was late.

tjsunstein
08-17-2009, 10:29 AM
Ewww seems like his signature struck a chord? I think this post completely dedicated to his signature makes it completely worth it, other than it being a sweet hit, regardless if it was late.

I was actually looking at the sig for a minute just wondering how someone can put that as a representation of themselves or their team then I saw drowe's post. It really isn't a sweet hit if it was late. That's like calling a sucker punch a good knockout. I'm sure there's a better play out there from that game. How about the Steve Smith catch that sealed it?

Komp
08-17-2009, 01:27 PM
The deal should go down like this, although Williams' salary may upend any deals -

Oakland trades - Justin Fargas and a pick (3rd rd??? 4th rd????)
Browns trade - Corey Williams, DT

Oakland gets a decent player at their weakest position and the Browns get a good hard-nosed backup for Lewis and a mid round pick....

IndyColtScout
08-17-2009, 03:10 PM
BlindSite's Sig definitely rules

BlindSite
08-17-2009, 05:17 PM
Everyone likes seeing someone getting decimated. I liked seeing rogers get decimated and I found this gif. No need to be sad face.

Nitschke-Hawk
08-17-2009, 09:22 PM
What that sig doesn't show is Rodgers popped right back up.

tjsunstein
08-17-2009, 11:29 PM
What that sig doesn't show is Rodgers popped right back up.

Or the yellow flag. And for the record Blindsite, it's Rodgers with a 'd' in there.

BlindSite
08-18-2009, 12:41 AM
Or the yellow flag. And for the record Blindsite, it's Rodgers with a 'd' in there.

For the record, on the same drive a few plays earlier Rodgers took a run and feigned going out of bounds, so the LBs backed off and he picked up a yard or two and a first down by the defense not wanting to give up a penalty.

Peppers hit wasn't that late, he leaves his feet before Rodgers is actually out of bounds, the impact is while he's out of bounds, but you can understand him going to finish the play after the last run Rodgers got a first down because of the Panthers' defender's wanting not wanting to give away penalties.

Yeah it was an illegal hit, but it's understandable why Pep hit him.

RaiderNation
08-18-2009, 12:44 AM
The deal should go down like this, although Williams' salary may upend any deals -

Oakland gets a decent player at their weakest position and the Browns get a good hard-nosed backup for Lewis and a mid round pick....

Id give up Fargas and a 4th in a part beat. We allready picked up 2 picks from NE and Fargas needs to go. We add a starting DT to pair with Kelly and Warren as a back up. Isnt great, but a hell of alot better than we we got

PACKmanN
08-18-2009, 12:57 AM

and have 2 overpaid DTs?

drowe
08-18-2009, 08:03 AM
Everyone likes seeing someone getting decimated. I liked seeing rogers get decimated and I found this gif. No need to be sad face.

hey, i think it's a cool hit. just wish there was someway you could photoshop a #4 on the packer jersey.

PoopSandwich
08-18-2009, 01:32 PM

Why the hell would the Browns want Fargas when we already have Harrison/Davis who are good enough back ups. I bet we trade him to the Jets for some more veteran back ups that wont do ****.

CC.SD
08-18-2009, 02:28 PM
I'm pretty sure Blindsite doesn't care about Rodgers being on the receiving end of that hit...it's a brutal hit from his team's franchise player, that's all.

xxxxxxxx
08-18-2009, 03:46 PM

Decimated? Is that a joke? No offense to Peppers, but for their size difference, that is a PU**Y hit.

DeepThreat
08-18-2009, 07:05 PM
Guys, Corey Williams actually did pretty well last year, and this year, he is looking great. By all accounts, he has been just a step below Shaun Rogers. He is not going anywhere.

PoopSandwich
08-18-2009, 07:37 PM
Decimated? Is that a joke? No offense to Peppers, but for their size difference, that is a PU**Y hit.

thats anything but a ***** hit, it's obviously a cheap shot, but i'd love to see you take that shot and get up.

PACKmanN
08-18-2009, 09:25 PM
Guys, Corey Williams actually did pretty well last year, and this year, he is looking great. By all accounts, he has been just a step below Shaun Rogers. He is not going anywhere.

Thats not what Browns fans had to say last year. Go on their forum and search up his name, it isnt good.

DeepThreat
08-18-2009, 10:17 PM
I am a Browns fan. I watched every game of his last year and focused on him.

cvv84
09-03-2009, 10:31 AM

He isn't going anywhere but the sidelines. He lost his starting job. (http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2009/09/final_preseason_game_has_plent.html)

keylime_5
09-03-2009, 11:01 AM
Did he ever have the starting job to begin with? Ever since Mangini got here it's been consistently Williams/Robaire Smith/Kenyon Coleman rotating a lot at DE with CJ Mosley seeing a lot of time as well, though mostly as a situational guy on the first team defense and a full time 2nd teamer. Williams is a lot more comfortable in the 3-4 this year, he'll play just as much as the other DEs.

Not been a lot of talk about this either, but there's probably gonna be a lot of Shaun Rogers at DE and Ahtyba Rubin at NT. Rubin has been fantastic at NT this preseason with Rogers sitting out. Just ask Kevin Mawae and basically everyone else he's faced.

BlindSite
09-03-2009, 04:39 PM
I hope he gets released, I don't know anything about the guy Hurney did trade for he only started 4 games and before that he was a nobody. I barely follow the browns other than to lol every now and then at the teams collective ineptitude, whats the story on louis Leonard?

Thumper
09-03-2009, 04:48 PM
Not needed. Obviously he would add some name value to the Panthers but they lost a huge run stuffer not a rotational pass rusher. Can he man NT for 3 downs every game and stuff the run? My bet is no so I would not see this as much of an upgrade to be honest. The Panthers need a run stuffer not a pass rusher.

wonderbredd24
09-03-2009, 04:53 PM
The Browns just sent the Panthers DT Louis Leonard for an undisclosed and I assume conditional draft pick.

I dunno if they would then come back to get another defensive tackle in Corey Williams from us. As for the Raiders, I'd rather have picks instead of Fargas, but if the Raiders were willing to deal Michael Bush, I'd be interested.

Corey Williams, if he stays on the Browns, will be a backup, which is not the end of the world. Kenyon Coleman and Robaire Smith have been extremely stout against the run and CJ Mosely has been a good pass rusher. Corey Williams may be well suited for this role, but obviously not for his contract. He has improved as a DE this offseason, but he's not as good as either of the starters.

The Browns have paid a $3 million roster bonus on Williams for this season.