PDA

View Full Version : Justin Harrell's Career Possibly Over

S T R I N G
08-17-2009, 08:28 PM
Defensive end Harrell fears back problems will end his career.

Justin Harrell fears his NFL career is over.

ďMost definitely,Ē the Green Bay Packersí injury-plagued defensive end said Monday. ďAnytime you have back surgery, itís always a red flag, and then having two in one year. Itís one of those things, man ó youíre trying to fight through it and trying to fight through it, and ...

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/article/20090817/PKR01/90817161/1058&referrer=NEWSFRONTCAROUSEL

cvv84
08-17-2009, 08:33 PM
1) His career never started

2) He doesn't deserve a paycheck, let alone his own thread...

A Perfect Score
08-17-2009, 08:34 PM

Jeez man. Insensitive much?

You never want to hear this about any player, no matter the situation. These guys put their bodies on the line, and it takes a toll, no matter your age. This is really unfortunate, when you think about it, he never really got a chance to play in the league due to injuries. I hope it turns out that he is able to continue playing.

S T R I N G
08-17-2009, 08:35 PM

He was a 16th overall pick and this is an NFL Draft website. It seems like relevant news most people would want to know about it because I imagine nearly everybody here had an opinion on him when he was drafted.

Further, how was the fact that he was injury-plagued his fault? By all accounts he's done everything asked of him.

Why would he not deserve a paycheck?

cvv84
08-17-2009, 08:38 PM
Jeez man. Insensitive much?

You never want to hear this about any player, no matter the situation. These guys put their bodies on the line, and it takes a toll, no matter your age. This is really unfortunate, when you think about it, he never really got a chance to play in the league due to injuries. I hope it turns out that he is able to continue playing.

He got hurt lifting weights. I didn't mean to sound like I flipped out over the topic, just that he really hasn't done anything noteworthy if you ask me besides being a 1st round pick. My bad.

A Perfect Score
08-17-2009, 08:40 PM
He got hurt lifting weights.

So? If he hadnt been lifting the weights, you would of been bitching about how he was out of shape and undeserving of a paycheck because of that. No matter the situation, its unfortunate to see someone injured, especially someone with potential.

cvv84
08-17-2009, 08:43 PM
So? If he hadnt been lifting the weights, you would of been bitching about how he was out of shape and undeserving of a paycheck because of that. No matter the situation, its unfortunate to see someone injured, especially someone with potential.

Its a Packers fan in me thing I guess, we never should have drafted him and he's been a thorn in our side since we drafted him. Good guy but it never seemed like his heart was 100% in the game. I don't wish injury on any player, but I just wish either he'd A) become a contributor or B) move on from the Packers.

WMD
08-17-2009, 08:43 PM
That sucks, always sad to see someone's career possibly ended by injuries. Especially someone so young.

Nitschke-Hawk
08-17-2009, 09:27 PM
Its a Packers fan in me thing I guess, we never should have drafted him and he's been a thorn in our side since we drafted him. Good guy but it never seemed like his heart was 100% in the game. I don't wish injury on any player, but I just wish either he'd A) become a contributor or B) move on from the Packers.

Lets see how good of an athlete you are with a herniated disk and two lower back surgeries. I just did jury duty on a lawsuit where a guy has now become disabled because of chronic back issues. and yeah, it usually happens in a freak accident like Harrell had lifting weights, and its rarely ever back to normal. This is nothing to mess around with and it can make the biggest men look weak.

cvv84
08-17-2009, 09:45 PM
Lets see how good of an athlete you are with a herniated disk and two lower back surgeries. I just did jury duty on a lawsuit where a guy has now become disabled because of chronic back issues. and yeah, it usually happens in a freak accident like Harrell had lifting weights, and its rarely ever back to normal. This is nothing to mess around with and it can make the biggest men look weak.

Am I calling him a pansy? No.

bearsfan_51
08-17-2009, 09:48 PM
So this is just his opinion? And it's important because.....

JFLO
08-17-2009, 10:29 PM

That is downright rude...

AND ABSOLUTELY HILARIOUS!

VoteLynnSwan
08-17-2009, 10:36 PM
EVERYONE questioned that pick when they made it... The guy was never on the field in college either.

Nitschke-Hawk
08-17-2009, 10:55 PM
Am I calling him a pansy? No.

Basically.

Boston
08-17-2009, 10:57 PM
So this is just his opinion? And it's important because.....

Ha, you haven't been following his career then, have you?

The sad thing is, the guy's a beast, and he hasn't really gotten the oppurtunity to show it.

BlindSite
08-17-2009, 11:11 PM

The sad thing is, the guy's a beast, and he hasn't really gotten the oppurtunity to show it.

I've never bought into this kind of argument, beasts find ways to get on the field. There's always opportunity if someone can make big plays for them to be on the field, if they don't play it's because they can't deliver.

I'm sad to see this happen, because I agree, he had potential, but it's not like this is a huge loss for greenbay, other than losing someone who could have maybe become someone who might eventually contribute.

S T R I N G
08-17-2009, 11:16 PM
I've never bought into this kind of argument, beasts find ways to get on the field. There's always opportunity if someone can make big plays for them to be on the field, if they don't play it's because they can't deliver.

I'm sad to see this happen, because I agree, he had potential, but it's not like this is a huge loss for greenbay, other than losing someone who could have maybe become someone who might eventually contribute.

It was never Harrell's talent that kept him on the sidelines. It was injuries. You can't tough it out and play through a torn biceps tendon or the back issues that Harrell had. Harrell already proved his toughness in college with the bicep thing and it's clear he wants nothing more to get on the field.

All that said, he was a top-tier athlete who projected to be a stud in the pros. We haven't got the chance to see him for any extended period so it would be unfair to make any judgments on his ability to play at the NFL-level.

It was a big loss for Green Bay because they spent the 16th overall pick on him a few years ago and he hasn't produced anything for them. Look at a guy like Charles Rogers with the Lions. They spent the 2nd overall pick on him and he didn't do much of anything for two seasons due to injury, then he just lost his motivation to play. That was a huge loss for the Lions even though Rogers really never produced for them.

BlindSite
08-17-2009, 11:18 PM
I'm not discounting the fact that his injuries hurt him, I'm just saying, outside of his injuries there's not a lot of evidence to support the claims that he is someone.

S T R I N G
08-17-2009, 11:21 PM
I'm not discounting the fact that his injuries hurt him, I'm just saying, outside of his injuries there's not a lot of evidence to support the claims that he is someone.

Perceived talent based on college career and athletic ability.

Matthew Stafford hasn't proven anything but if he goes down with a career-ender the Lions definitely lost a "somebody". Same goes for pretty much every high draft pick.

tjsunstein
08-17-2009, 11:27 PM
This is awful news. I had high hopes for the kid if he stayed healthy, and well, he didn't.

Vox Populi
08-17-2009, 11:59 PM
I was a big fan of his coming out of Tennessee. He was a little bit of a reach at 16, especially to the Packers who had a lot of talent at the position at the time with Williams, Pickett, Jolly, Cole and then Jenkins could get in there sometimes too. Its a shame he never got to do anything with his career, he definitely had some kind of potential. Hopefully he can at least live a healthy pain free life away from football if he does truly retire.

CC.SD
08-18-2009, 12:31 AM
He was still a reach. Branch should never have fallen as far as he did. Although he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire either...

PACKmanN
08-18-2009, 01:03 AM
I had such high hopes for him; he had so much talent. It's a shame, because you look at guys who waste their talent on dumb things, but this isn't the case.

fenikz
08-18-2009, 04:28 AM
He was still a reach. Branch should never have fallen as far as he did. Although he hasn't exactly lit the world on fire either...

its pretty clear in my mind that Branch should of fallen much further than he did

no bare feet
08-18-2009, 07:52 AM
its pretty clear in my mind that Branch should of fallen much further than he did

I agree. I wouldn't have touched Branch until the mid 3rd round.

cvv84
08-18-2009, 08:53 AM

I actually took a bet with a guy who said that Branch would have a more productive rookie year than Harrell. So far I've won 16-9 and 11-6!

Basically.

Way to make a prejudgement kiddo.

CashmoneyDrew
08-18-2009, 11:21 AM
Justin Harrell is a great guy and it's a shame he can't stay healthy cause he would be a monster if he could. He was a beast his junior year at Tennessee and almost came out early, but decided to stay for his senior year. He was on pace to be a high first rounder until his biceps injury. But like a true warrior he played one last game even after he tore his biceps and almost helped the Vols beat Florida the year they won their first title under Meyer. There's no question in my mind that if he could play through these injuries he would be. And he'd probably be the next great Tennessee defensive tackle.

PACKmanN
08-18-2009, 12:15 PM
could the amount of weight he carries be a factor? If he would drop to 280-285 would that help, or is it something that can't be corrected that way?

cvv84
08-18-2009, 12:33 PM
Ted Thompson today:

Is Justin Harrell's career in danger: "I donít think anybodyís talking in those terms. Thatís not what our guys say on the medical end. Our medical people arenít talking in those terms."

What are the doctors saying: "I donít know if I can get specific. In my conversations with the medical people, they donít believe itís over and done."

Harrell might just be getting down from being injured for the majority of his playing career. Hopefully he can get everything straightened out. Reports were that he looked good at DE in the 3-4 before this issue came up again.

CC.SD
08-18-2009, 02:32 PM
Ted Thompson today:

Harrell might just be getting down from being injured for the majority of his playing career. Hopefully he can get everything straightened out. Reports were that he looked good at DE in the 3-4 before this issue came up again.

Interesting quotes...I don't think Harrell had anything to gain from talking like this, which is why I think he might retire. If nothing else he could have gone on IR and collected NFL paychecks instead of screwing himself over like this. But Thompson seems like he might bully the kid into playing.

BlindSite
08-18-2009, 06:52 PM
At the end of the day Harrell will have people looking out for his best interests somewhere along the line and whether or not he feels pressured by the organisation, at the end of the day the decision lies with him.

I just hope he can make the right decision for him.

ChezPower4
08-18-2009, 07:01 PM

The way things are shaping up we probably never will.

Splat
08-25-2009, 08:21 PM
Packers' Harrell isn't done just yet (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/25/packers-harrell-isnt-done-just-yet/)