PDA

View Full Version : Head Spin: Donovan vs Eli

D-Unit
08-18-2009, 04:25 PM
OK, here's me again... trying to get something interesting going on with another out of the blue off the wall idea. :P

This "Head Spin" idea is just that... I'm going to bring up a topic of discussion that is intended to get your head spinning! It could be fantasmic in nature, or hypothetical with no real answer, but fun enough to debate about.

So with that in mind.... Here is the first of many more to come.... Take it away!!!

Question: Which Quarterback would you rather have "Right Now"? An aging Donovan McNabb or Eli Manning in his prime? Throw out the money factor. Disregard familiarity with the team, coaches, scheme and supporting cast. Who is the QB you want leading your team this season?

Thumper
08-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Well, I think we all know your awnser, an aging Donovan McNabb? He is only 32 hardly the downside of a career for a QB.

And if we're throwing out teams, coaches and schemes, that makes things even easier. People forget how much of a great athlete Donovan McNabb is. He has a fantastic arm top 5 in the NFL in all liklihood, he ran a 4.6 at the combine and he can throw the ball extremely hard. The only real weakness of McNabb's is accuracy and Eli has the same problem.

McNabb's arm > Eli's arm
McNabb's deep ball > Eli's deep ball
McNabb's scrambling ability > Eli's scrambling ability
McNabb's decision making > Eli's decision making
McNabb's talent > Eli's talent
McNabb's touch < Eli's touch
McNabb's accuracy = Eli's accuracy.

The way I see it is that Eli is a game manager who is the product of a great defense, a strong running game and Plaxico Burress. While McNabb is a franchise QB who has succeeded with little wide receiver help, little running game (yeah, there is Westbrook but please tell me the last time the Eagles had a top 10 rushing game) and a good defense (not great because they were pretty awful in the run defense before Bunkley).

Give me McNabb over Eli every single day of the week a twice on Sundays.

D-Unit
08-18-2009, 05:03 PM
I honestly don't have a clear cut side in this like you're assuming. But let's not lie here. McNabb ain't a spring chicken anymore, so I don't think I was out of line saying he's aging. He doesn't move anything like he used to when he was in his prime.

scottyboy
08-18-2009, 05:05 PM
Well, Eli didn't throw up or choke in the big games, so I'm gonna go with him.

but don't get me wrong, I respect McNabb a lot, despite him being a rival to me since college.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-18-2009, 05:07 PM
I honestly don't have a clear cut side in this like you're assuming. But let's not lie here. McNabb ain't a spring chicken anymore, so I don't think I was out of line saying he's aging. He doesn't move anything like he used to when he was in his prime.

He can still move just enough to get rid of the ball. Mobility isn't Eli's strong suit. He tends to throw up floaters like he's playing 500 when pressured or if he see's he's about to get sacked he closes his eyes in preparation for the hit. He shows some flashes of mobility but not nearly enough. Eli is just so confusing. Mentally I think he's just too inconsistent.

scottyboy
08-18-2009, 05:10 PM
He can still move just enough to get rid of the ball. Mobility isn't Eli's strong suit. He tends to throw up floaters like he's playing 500 when pressured or if he see's he's about to get sacked he closes his eyes in preparation for the hit. He shows some flashes of mobility but not nearly enough. Eli is just so confusing. Mentally I think he's just too inconsistent.

I agree a million percent. well, except for "the play", but yes, at times he's brilliant and handles the rush and others he's like a little baby. HOWEVER, the way he's talking at camp, on interviews and handling himself, I think he's matured throughout this offseason. He's got the big bucks showing we're saying he's the man now, and he's without his 2 big time safety blankets in Plax and Amani. I HOPE he mans up and takes control of this team, when things may go rough in the passing game. The flip side, he could crumble and fall, but he's got a certain swagger to him. He wasn't like this even after being named Super Bowl MVP. I like this new found confidence he's presenting early. We'll see if it lasts.

D-Unit
08-18-2009, 05:27 PM
Fair enough. Though I believe Eli is deceptively sneaky at escaping the pass rush.

Back to my point about Donovan "aging", I still call it like I see it and won't blind myself to the obvious. That doesn't mean he's bad, it just means he's nearing the bottom of the downhill part of his career.

D-Unit
08-18-2009, 05:29 PM
I agree a million percent. well, except for "the play", but yes, at times he's brilliant and handles the rush and others he's like a little baby. HOWEVER, the way he's talking at camp, on interviews and handling himself, I think he's matured throughout this offseason. He's got the big bucks showing we're saying he's the man now, and he's without his 2 big time safety blankets in Plax and Amani. I HOPE he mans up and takes control of this team, when things may go rough in the passing game. The flip side, he could crumble and fall, but he's got a certain swagger to him. He wasn't like this even after being named Super Bowl MVP. I like this new found confidence he's presenting early. We'll see if it lasts.
You can't agree "a million" percent and then say "well, except"... LMAO Scotty.

Todd Bertuzzi
08-18-2009, 05:42 PM
We've discussed this in IRC before and the consensus is that McNabb>Eli as it should be.

scottyboy
08-18-2009, 06:43 PM
You can't agree "a million" percent and then say "well, except"... LMAO Scotty.

i can do whatever I want!

the exception's only one play in what STRIP was referring to however.

Donovan's on the downswing of career and Eli the upswing.

oh, and Eli wasn't benched last season either :D

SeanTaylorRIP
08-18-2009, 08:09 PM
The question though is who do I want right now. Right now I want Donovan. It's highly likely Donovan starts to take that greater fall towards the wrong side of his career and Eli starts to put everything together, but if I take one QB right now I give the slight edge to Donovan still although it isn't a big margin.

D-Unit
08-18-2009, 08:13 PM
Decided who to vote on. I'm going to go with Donovan because he's still a playmaker and not just a bus driver. Eli has more to perform before I start to call him anything but the most glorified bus driver in the league.

Big Ben was once a Bus Driver, but he has since transformed. Eli... not yet. But if he shows it this year, then this decision now looks bad.

TACKLE
08-18-2009, 08:29 PM
Donovan for sure. I'm not a big McNabb guy but I'll definitely give him the edge over Eli. I've never seen Eli really take over a game. Everyone is freaking out over the Giants WR's but their WR core now is better than the one McNabb has had for most of his career. It's not Eli's fault, but the Giants are a run first team with a great O-Line. McNabb has had to carry the Eagles offense for years and only recently has he had the help of Westbrook. Philly's offense lived and died by how McNabb played. With that being the case, McNabb has lead his team to 5 NFC Championships.

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 01:31 PM
Wow, Eli has closed the gap!

But I'm still waiting for the more prominent Giants posters have to say. ;)

scottyboy
08-19-2009, 01:33 PM
Wow, Eli has closed the gap!

But I'm still waiting for the more prominent Giants posters have to say. ;)

I'm not a prominent Giants poster? :(

ouch

Giantsfan1080
08-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Donovan has had a great defense, a great O-line and average RB's most of the time he's been the starter. His WR's were always below average but every other year he's had a good nucleus around him. Let's not make Donovan the sole reason the Eagles made the playoffs every year in the past.

Brothgar
08-19-2009, 01:41 PM
Are we just considering one season or like if I were some expansion team and both guys were available (somehow) which would I take.

Giantsfan1080
08-19-2009, 01:46 PM
Are we just considering one season or like if I were some expansion team and both guys were available (somehow) which would I take.

This season alone according to the question D-Unit asked.

TACKLE
08-19-2009, 01:47 PM
Donovan has had a great defense, a great O-line and average RB's most of the time he's been the starter. His WR's were always below average but every other year he's had a good nucleus around him. Let's not make Donovan the sole reason the Eagles made the playoffs every year in the past.

I know their defenses were great and their O-Lines always been solid. They've had some pretty good RB's but Reid is has a pass first philosophy and because of that, McNabb has always played the most prominent role in their offense.

Giantsfan1080
08-19-2009, 01:49 PM
I know their defenses were great and their O-Lines always been solid. They've had some pretty good RB's but Reid is has a pass first philosophy and because of that, McNabb has always played the most prominent role in their offense.

He's been the focal point but the RB's have still opened up a lot for Donovan. It's not like the running game was so bad that McNabb had to put the whole offense on his back.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-19-2009, 01:53 PM
Why is everything with Eli? I read some fool's article comparing Vick to Eli. He really must be the most poplarized player in the NFL. He is talked about everywhere, good or bad. What about Romo vs McNabb? Damn everywhere I look Eli is in the conversation. It's starting to get old and irrating.. BBD is right, Eli is the most polarizing player in the NFL.

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 02:00 PM
Why is everything with Eli? I read some fool's article comparing Vick to Eli. He really must be the most poplarized player in the NFL. He is talked about everywhere, good or bad. What about Romo vs McNabb? Damn everywhere I look Eli is in the conversation. It's starting to get old and irrating.. BBD is right, Eli is the most polarizing player in the NFL.
Well, Eli just got paid like a mofo and he's a SB winning QB in his prime. To me, that should make him a very wanted man... yet, the poll still says McNabb. Ahh Head spin!!! :p

Romo and Campbell aren't even as close to interesting discussion topics.

BaLLiN
08-19-2009, 03:24 PM
McNabb's arm = Eli's arm
McNabb's deep ball = Eli's deep ball
McNabb's scrambling ability >>>> Eli's scrambling ability
McNabb's decision making = Eli's decision making
(there is a difference in giving yourself a good position to make an easy throw and decision making)

I dont want to hear that Eli had great recievers, good OL, and a good defense (may not have been mentioned but if it might be argued). Eli did not have great recievers, Amani was never really considered good until the last few years and even then he was reliable but not great. Plax was moody and sulked and inconsistent and complained up until two seasons ago. Shockey was an ass clown, he was eli's headache.

Donovan had TO, he had Donte Stallworth, he had guys who were already proven and were highly regarded in the league. Plax was not.

Im not saying Eli is better because i really dont think they are comparable, they are in two entirely different offensive schemed teams and are two entirely different quarterbacks, and are very good in their own way. Eli manages the game, Donovan makes plays. Eli is the better quarterback for the giants, Donovan is the better quarterback for the eagles. Eli tries to get the W by managing the clock and downs, Donovan tries to better his stats.

I would pick Donovan over Eli in fantasy football

NY+Giants=NYG
08-19-2009, 03:58 PM
Well, Eli just got paid like a mofo and he's a SB winning QB in his prime. To me, that should make him a very wanted man... yet, the poll still says McNabb. Ahh Head spin!!! :p

Romo and Campbell aren't even as close to interesting discussion topics.

O i know, I understand that. But still even before I saw comparisons everywhere, and just saw this now, and someone on our giants BBI board has a threads of Vick being compared to Eli. Makes me wonder if he is the most polarizing player, outside of Farve, in the NFL right now.

Romo & McNabb is an interesting one I think.

But to answer the question in a quick fashion.. I'd take McNabb during the regular season, and then switch to Eli for the big games when you need a clutch performance, and comebacks. Best of both worlds!

Thumper
08-19-2009, 04:11 PM
McNabb's arm = Eli's arm
McNabb's decision making = Eli's decision making
(there is a difference in giving yourself a good position to make an easy throw and decision making)
McNabb's scrambling ability >>>> Eli's scrambling ability

No way.

McNabb has one of the strongest arms in the NFL, top 5.
McNabb has one of the best if not the best deep ball in the NFL.
McNabb makes better decisions, there is a difference between throwing it up to Plax and decision making.

Sniper
McNabb's arm = Eli's arm

LOL.

I dont want to hear that Eli had great recievers, good OL, and a good defense (may not have been mentioned but if it might be argued).

Because that would sink your pro-Eli argument.

Amani was never really considered good until the last few years

He had 5 straight 1,000-yard seasons from 1999-2000 to 03-04. Try again.

Plax was moody and sulked and inconsistent and complained up until two seasons ago.

Right, so that means he isn't good. Would you rather have Plax or Freddie Mitchell?

Shockey was an ass clown, he was eli's headache.

Yet still much better than L.J Smith.

Donovan had TO

For one full season, and, shockingly, made the Super Bowl.

he had Donte Stallworth

For 12 games.

he had guys who were already proven and were highly regarded in the league. Plax was not.

Seriously, stop. How about we give Manning Fredex/Pinkston/Lewis/Thrash and see how he does?

Thumper
Eli against Romo always makes for a fantastic debate. :D

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 06:29 PM
Eli against Romo always makes for a fantastic debate. :D
Yeah, one was undrafted... the other was the #1 pick. Fantastic.

Thumper
08-19-2009, 06:48 PM
Yeah, one was undrafted... the other was the #1 pick. Fantastic.

Wait, we're debating draft position? In that case Eli wins this. :rolleyes:

But wait, we aren't debating draft position? We're debating who is the better QB?

The Eli v.s. Romo debate is always interesting, because they're similar QB's in terms of caliber but they have different play styles, one more success in crunch time and the other plays much better in the regular season. It is a good debate to see what QB is second best in the division.

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 07:24 PM
Wait, we're debating draft position? In that case Eli wins this. :rolleyes:

But wait, we aren't debating draft position? We're debating who is the better QB?

The Eli v.s. Romo debate is always interesting, because they're similar QB's in terms of caliber but they have different play styles, one more success in crunch time and the other plays much better in the regular season. It is a good debate to see what QB is second best in the division.
How can an Eagles fan even begin to talk about choking in the playoffs? :rolleyes:

Thumper
08-19-2009, 08:03 PM
Hey at least we've won a game...

Brothgar
08-19-2009, 08:27 PM
Hey at least we've won a game...

They don't give trophies for winning one playoff game.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 08:30 PM

Truth. That's why it bothers me when Eagles fans say, "Well, we've been to the NFC title game eleventy billion times". Who gives a ****?

Thumper
08-19-2009, 08:42 PM

10 playoff wins, that is 10 more than the Cowboys in the past 14 seasons. That is the point, that is how an Eagles fan can talk about choking in the playoffs.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 08:47 PM
10 playoff wins, that is 10 more than the Cowboys in the past 14 seasons. That is the point, that is how an Eagles fan can talk about choking in the playoffs.

We've still choked. There's no way we should have lost to teams like Arizona and Carolina, among others.

sweetness34
08-19-2009, 09:01 PM
With all due respect, anyone who would take Eli over McNabb as their franchise QB needs a head examination.

The one year McNabb had an elite WR, he made the SB and even then T.O. was recovering from a broken leg. It's surprising to me after all these years that the offensive genius known as Andy Reid has yet to give McNabb a consistent set of legitimate offensive targets to rely on.

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 09:27 PM
Cute. You sound so proud.

Let's not make this about a pissing match...

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d24/swirvinirvan/5-SuperbowlsCowboys1.jpg

Thumper
08-19-2009, 10:47 PM
^^^
And those are relevant because? Not one of those are even from this decade. Thanks for showing off your old trophies.

Brothgar
08-19-2009, 11:22 PM
Back to OT. The only question I have is how competent is my back up QB? We are already assuming similar teams that each fit the players scheme blah blah blah. But if I have someone like Jim Sorgi or Jared Lorenzen as my backup QB I have to take Eli. McNabb has not played every game three seasons in a row. Hasn't played two strait 16 game seasons since 2000 and 2001 seasons. Where as if I had a Dante Culpepper type backup. I'd take McNabb and lets all be honest it isn't even close.

When it comes to accuracy, and decision making Eli can't hold McNabb's jock.

Clutch ability, toughness and durability goes to Eli.

Everything else is pretty equal at this point in their careers.

McNabb throws too low, Eli throws too high, both need a special type of WR or else they will fail or at least not be as good as they could be.

Both QBs have to deal with an angry media and fan base.

McNabb has the second lowest interception percentage in LEAGUE history. Although many come at key moments.

If you are guaranteeing health then it has to be McNabb.

Thumper
08-19-2009, 11:24 PM
Arm strength? Eli can't touch McNabb's cannon of an arm.

Brothgar
08-19-2009, 11:26 PM
Arm strength? Eli can't touch McNabb's cannon of an arm.

When Donny was at the top of his game maybe the guys has lost a lil zip on his arm though.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 11:31 PM
When Donny was at the top of his game maybe the guys has lost a lil zip on his arm though.

I don't think so. He can really sling it.

sweetness34
08-19-2009, 11:42 PM
Donovan still has a big time arm. May not be what it used to be but I agree with Sniper, he can definitely still sling it.

D-Unit
08-20-2009, 12:10 AM
^^^
And those are relevant because? Not one of those are even from this decade. Thanks for showing off your old trophies.
Next post that's off topic will result in a trolling infraction. You drove this conversation so off topic it's sad. I even voted McNabb, but you're so sensitive about anything said about your team, that homerism blinds your sense of reason. You actually think your playoff wins mean something. I mean you really do, don't you? I thought Sniper was bad, but you take the cake buddy.

Thumper
08-20-2009, 01:13 AM
Well, would you care to tell me who brought up choking in the playoffs?
-We all know that playoff wins do mean something and the Eagles in the past 10 years have 10 more wins than the Cowboys, sorry that it is not pro-Cowboys.

But I don't doubt your threat, so I will make this post at least mostly on topic. I'm glad to see that McNabb has regained a healthy lead, because IMO it is fairly obvious that McNabb is the better player, and that is not the homer in me talking. Those are stats talking and physical abilities doing all the talking. I have little doubt that McNabb will have a better season than Eli Manning. That is not a criticism of Eli Manning however who IMO is a top 15 QB based on last season but I would like to see him continue to not a turnover machine before I crown him a top 10 QB. Both are good in their own respects, Manning is in a great situation for him and McNabb is in a situation that suits him, different types of QBs but if you are choosing a QB to be your difference maker I think that McNabb is the choice over Eli and if you're looking for a game manager I'll give a slight edge to Eli because in the past he has been so turnover prone and that is not what you want in a game manager, however he had a nice season last year.

D-Unit
08-20-2009, 01:58 AM
Well, would you care to tell me who brought up choking in the playoffs?
-We all know that playoff wins do mean something and the Eagles in the past 10 years have 10 more wins than the Cowboys, sorry that it is not pro-Cowboys.

But I don't doubt your threat, so I will make this post at least mostly on topic. I'm glad to see that McNabb has regained a healthy lead, because IMO it is fairly obvious that McNabb is the better player, and that is not the homer in me talking. Those are stats talking and physical abilities doing all the talking. I have little doubt that McNabb will have a better season than Eli Manning. That is not a criticism of Eli Manning however who IMO is a top 15 QB based on last season but I would like to see him continue to not a turnover machine before I crown him a top 10 QB. Both are good in their own respects, Manning is in a great situation for him and McNabb is in a situation that suits him, different types of QBs but if you are choosing a QB to be your difference maker I think that McNabb is the choice over Eli and if you're looking for a game manager I'll give a slight edge to Eli because in the past he has been so turnover prone and that is not what you want in a game manager, however he had a nice season last year.
Yeah and how did it get to that point? Someone named Thumper brought up Romo vs Eli. I always find it funny when guilty people act so naive and innocent.

Your playoff wins are nice, but that's not the goal in football. It proves that you've been competitive, but it doesn't prove that you are a champion. Something the Cowboys have done 5 times. It's great that you have selective memory on how far back you want to go. It must be a Pro-Eagles thing.

McNabb has about 2 years left in him to win a SB in Philly. He better hope those young WRs develop fast or he'll forever regret not having something Eli already has on his finger.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-20-2009, 07:15 AM
Next post that's off topic will result in a trolling infraction. You drove this conversation so off topic it's sad. I even voted McNabb, but you're so sensitive about anything said about your team, that homerism blinds your sense of reason. You actually think your playoff wins mean something. I mean you really do, don't you? I thought Sniper was bad, but you take the cake buddy.

He reminds me of some our own Giants homers on here.. So blinded by the love his team he can't see anything else. And sniper is bad... : P Jk buddy

xxxxxxxx
08-20-2009, 08:55 AM
No way.

McNabb has one of the strongest arms in the NFL, top 5.
McNabb has one of the best if not the best deep ball in the NFL.
McNabb makes better decisions, there is a difference between throwing it up to Plax and decision making.

I agree. Even at McNabb's older age i think he is still better than Eli.

I just don't think Eli is good. I don't. I have no respect for him. I just look at him and think joke. Sometimes i wonder how he is a pro athlete. Im sorry and giants fans are going to get all pissy, but he's just so unathletic looking its terrible.

scottyboy
08-20-2009, 09:14 AM
I agree. Even at McNabb's older age i think he is still better than Eli.

I just don't think Eli is good. I don't. I have no respect for him. I just look at him and think joke. Sometimes i wonder how he is a pro athlete. Im sorry and giants fans are going to get all pissy, but he's just so unathletic looking its terrible.

see I can take people who knock on Eli for say his accuracy or never having to fully shoulder his team or he throws too many INTs...BUT

think "joke"? really? he's not good. Yea, I mean, he's awful if he's you know, in the NFL, has a ring, won Super Bowl MVP. Who gives a damn if he's athletic looking or not. I mean really, some of the best and most important players in this league are 300 lbs and considered obese by some standards. So they're not good either, right? Because they don't look athletic.

Eaglez.Fan
08-20-2009, 10:02 AM
Just something to add. Although McNabb has choked a couple times in the playoffs, he has a career QB rating of 76.7 in the playoffs, while Eli has a QB rating of 78.0. For a difference of 1.3.

Sniper
08-20-2009, 10:03 AM
QB rating is garbage. Let's refrain from using it.

Brothgar
08-20-2009, 10:05 AM
QB rating is garbage. Let's refrain from using it.

Quoted for truth QB rating is the worst stat ever.

scottyboy
08-20-2009, 10:23 AM
yea, QB rating for the loss. i'm not a fan of it.

But still, if you wanna talk clutch, Donovan's clutch, no doubt about it. But Eli's done some pretty clutch things. You can't possibly take away the last drive of the Super Bowl away from him.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-20-2009, 10:23 AM
Quoted for truth QB rating is the worst stat ever.

Yup Jason Campbell's QB rating through last year is perfect evidence to this.

Brothgar
08-20-2009, 10:32 AM
yea, QB rating for the loss. i'm not a fan of it.

But still, if you wanna talk clutch, Donovan's clutch, no doubt about it. But Eli's done some pretty clutch things. You can't possibly take away the last drive of the Super Bowl away from him.

Wait... wat?

scottyboy
08-20-2009, 10:36 AM
Wait... wat?

perhaps not in the postseason, but McNabb's come up clutch throughout his career. He's driven mediocre offenses down the field and scored. He was totez anti-clutch in the Super Bowl and the whole puking thing, but I would say McNabb's clutch.

He's not nearly as clutch as Eli, but McNabb's had his fair share of clutch moments.

Eaglez.Fan
08-20-2009, 11:02 AM
I agree that the QB rating isn't the greatest but if we are judging their individual performances, you can't go by wins an losses because the game is determined by much more than one person. The QB rating just shows that individually, Eli and Donovan have not performed all that differently in the playoffs. Despite one of them having a ring.

scottyboy
08-20-2009, 11:07 AM
I agree that the QB rating isn't the greatest but if we are judging their individual performances, you can't go by wins an losses because the game is determined by much more than one person. The QB rating just shows that individually, Eli and Donovan have not performed all that differently in the playoffs. Despite one of them having a ring.

well, that and Eli was able to keep his lunch in his stomach :D

but no, they've preformed a lot differently, based on said ring and Eli's last drive of the Super Bowl. QB rating goes up a lot with TD passes, which Eli didn't have many of due to when we get inside the 10, we've got this guy who's the size of a linebacker who likes goal line touches.

xxxxxxxx
08-20-2009, 07:30 PM
Ha i love the neg rep from giants fans. Just my opinion.

scottyboy
08-20-2009, 10:05 PM
Ha i love the neg rep from giants fans. Just my opinion.

no, people hate on Eli all the time with their opinion. You gave no reason just said that he looked unathletic and was a joke. god forbid you actually give reason or anything and not be one of the stereotypical cowboys fan that's an ignorant fool.

FUNBUNCHER
08-30-2009, 02:20 AM
Eli IMO is a game manager par excellence who is capable of brief moments of brilliance( see Giants SB run), but he needs a big WR to catch those jump balls and an elite running game in order for him to be successful.

Without a QB with Donovan's skill set, there is no offense in Philly for the last 10 years. In most seasons, especially early in his career, McNabb WAS the offense. Except for T.O. and Stallworth, his WRs as a whole have been garbage, his RBs forgettable. It's just been him and Jim Johnson riding herd on the D, that's it.

If McNabb had the Giants running game and their current WRs, I think Donovan would have an inside track to winning his first SB.

Eli's value primarily is exclusive to the Giants because he's their starting QB, but I can't imagine too many situations in the NFL where Eli would dramatically improve an average to good team's standing with his presence alone.
Would he make the Cowboys a better team? Possibly.
He'd make the Skins a solid playoff contender because their WR corps is vastly underrated.

I'm still amazed by the amount of clutch plays Eli made in the Giants SB run, and for those who give him minimal credit for the upset of the Patriots weren't watching the game closely.

Eli is a good QB.
Donovan McNabb is, (or was for most of his career), a special QB.

Brothgar
08-30-2009, 08:23 AM
Eli IMO is a game manager par excellence who is capable of brief moments of brilliance( see Giants SB run), but he needs a big WR to catch those jump balls and an elite running game in order for him to be successful.

Without a QB with Donovan's skill set, there is no offense in Philly for the last 10 years. In most seasons, especially early in his career, McNabb WAS the offense. Except for T.O. and Stallworth, his WRs as a whole have been garbage, his RBs forgettable. It's just been him and Jim Johnson riding herd on the D, that's it.

If McNabb had the Giants running game and their current WRs, I think Donovan would have an inside track to winning his first SB.

Eli's value primarily is exclusive to the Giants because he's their starting QB, but I can't imagine too many situations in the NFL where Eli would dramatically improve an average to good team's standing with his presence alone.
Would he make the Cowboys a better team? Possibly.
He'd make the Skins a solid playoff contender because their WR corps is vastly underrated.

I'm still amazed by the amount of clutch plays Eli made in the Giants SB run, and for those who give him minimal credit for the upset of the Patriots weren't watching the game closely.

Westbrook is a better RB than McNabb is a QB IMHO problem comes when you don't use your RB at all. He was more talented than Edge in their prime.

Eli is a good QB.
Donovan McNabb is, (or was for most of his career), was an injured QB.

Fixed that for you.

superman8456
08-30-2009, 11:47 AM
Westbrook is a better RB than McNabb is a QB IMHO problem comes when you don't use your RB at all. He was more talented than Edge in their prime.

Fixed that for you.

We get it, you hate McNabb. Stop trying to discredit everything hes done in his career, which is a lot more than most QB's can say, based off of your hate.

Brothgar
08-30-2009, 12:04 PM
We get it, you hate McNabb. Stop trying to discredit everything hes done in his career, which is a lot more than most QB's can say, based off of your hate.

That was more props to Westbrook than hate on McNabb. Unless you were talking about the second part which is 100% true.

FUNBUNCHER
08-30-2009, 12:58 PM

Eli is a good QB.

Fixed that for you.

That's cute, but did I ask you to insert your opinion over mine??

If you think McNabb is more injury-prone than he is talented, then you post it.
Don't cannibalize mine.

And how bizarre is it to critique McNabb for his injury history but then to give Westbrook, one of the most brittle RBs in the pros, a pass on the same argument??

Westbrook is an all-purpose/3rd down RB, but his injuries have prevented the Eagles from having a consistent running game.

Mcnabb carries the Eagles on offense, not Westbrook.

Brothgar
08-30-2009, 01:26 PM
That's cute, but did I ask you to insert your opinion over mine??

If you think McNabb is more injury-prone than he is talented, then you post it.
Don't cannibalize mine.

WTF are you talking about?

And how bizarre is it to critique McNabb for his injury history but then to give Westbrook, one of the most brittle RBs in the pros, a pass on the same argument??

Because he is a RB by the nature of the game RBs get injured more often. This is a league that has multiple rules to keep QBs from getting injured.

Westbrook is an all-purpose/3rd down RB, but his injuries have prevented the Eagles from having a consistent running game.

Mcnabb carries the Eagles on offense, not Westbrook.

Yet when the Eagles give Westbrook touches they win games.

FUNBUNCHER
08-30-2009, 04:16 PM
broth223 'wrote'
Quote:Eli is a good QB.

Fixed that for you.

I wrote originally;

Eli is a good QB.

Dude, no one asked you to change special to injured, that's what I was talking about.

Don't put my words in your mouth.

Brothgar
08-30-2009, 04:20 PM
broth223 'wrote'

Fixed that for you.

I wrote originally;

Eli is a good QB.

Dude, no one asked you to change special to injured, that's what I was talking about.

LOL people do that all the time on these boards. Better get use to it.

FUNBUNCHER
08-30-2009, 04:27 PM
Yeah, and people rob little old women all the time too, doesn't make it right!!LOL

And who else besides you broth223 thinks Westbrook is a better RB than McNabb is a QB??

Based on what??

I'm from the DC Metro area and Westbrook couldn't even get a scholarship to play football from ANY school in the Big East or ACC when he graduated from DeMatha HS.

He's good, versatile WCO RB but he's not durable in the least.
I'm not saying he's overrated because few RBs in the pros can do what he does as well as he does, but he's far from more valuable than McNabb is as a QB.

The reason the Eagles offense suffers when he's not playing is because the Eagles have absolutely, (except for maybe this yer), minimal depth at RB.

2 Live Crew
08-30-2009, 06:54 PM
For this year? McNabb easy....

Crickett
08-30-2009, 07:40 PM
Choco party, good good.

I'm sorry, what were you saying?

Brothgar
08-30-2009, 10:55 PM
Yeah, and people rob little old women all the time too, doesn't make it right!!LOL

And who else besides you broth223 thinks Westbrook is a better RB than McNabb is a QB??

Based on what??

I'm from the DC Metro area and Westbrook couldn't even get a scholarship to play football from ANY school in the Big East or ACC when he graduated from DeMatha HS.

He's good, versatile WCO RB but he's not durable in the least.
I'm not saying he's overrated because few RBs in the pros can do what he does as well as he does, but he's far from more valuable than McNabb is as a QB.

The reason the Eagles offense suffers when he's not playing is because the Eagles have absolutely, (except for maybe this yer), minimal depth at RB.

I will get to that later. but right now life = ficked up

eaglesalltheway
08-31-2009, 06:25 AM
broth223 'wrote'

Fixed that for you.

I wrote originally;

Eli is a good QB.

Dude, don't worry about it. We all know what he did and that you didnt mean what he said. It really isn't a big deal. Stealing purses from old ladies however, is a big deal.