PDA

View Full Version : Head Spin: Brandon Marshall in the NFC East

D-Unit
08-18-2009, 06:01 PM
Concept: This "Head Spin" idea is just that... I'm going to bring up a topic of discussion that is intended to get your head spinning! It could be fantasmic in nature, or hypothetical with no real answer, but fun enough to debate about.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question: Which NFC East Team should or would most likely be the one to trade for Brandon Marshall?

Philadelphia Eagles - Is the receiving corps too inexperienced? Too similar? Marshall could help them win now and in the future.

NY Giants - There are a lot of spare parts, but is there a real playmaker? There would be no question marks about replacing Plaxico if they had Marshall.

...and to quote a certain Giants fan after the first preseason game... "I thought Nicks had hands of glue?"

Washington Redskins - We all know Snyder's taste in men. Marshall would more than tickle his fancy. Zorn would also be thrilled as Marshall is a proven commodity as a WCO WR. Who cares about draft picks anyways? ;)

Dallas Cowboys - Jerry Jones has probably already asked the gang at Valley Ranch whether he should pursue Marshall if I know him the way I think I know him. Much more into quick fixes than developing, Jerry loves star power more than any GM I know.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Brandon-Marshall-tells-Broncos-again-to-trade-hi;_ylt=Aovqj9N5Lw4OPqeqogb2xqhDubYF?urn=nfl,18353 0

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:38 am EDT

Brandon Marshall tells Broncos again to trade him

He should be a happy man, right? He was acquitted last week of the misdemeanor battery charge (he supposedly had beaten up on his girlfriend in Atlanta last year). And his hip and hamstring are apparently feeling OK enough for him to suit up and practice on Sunday But there's one thing that is just burning this poor fella up. He's only going to make about $450,000 this year, according to FOXSports.

Marshall and his agent apparently got together with Denver Broncos head coach Josh McDaniels yesterday to let him know that the wide receiver still wants a new contract extension or to be traded. The team reportedly has no plans to change his contract or trade him.

So Marshall didn't practice yesterday and may just hold out till something better comes along. Of course, that means a daily $15,888 fine, which could eat into his $450,000 pretty quickly.

Thumper
08-18-2009, 06:06 PM
The Cowboys. The Eagles and Giants now have a bunch of young receiver so they don't really need one. But, I believe the Cowboys need a receiver. I have no faith in Roy Williams at all, he has topped 1000 yards once in his career and that was thanks to Mike Martz's pass heavy system. I think one could safely call him a bust because he is not what a top 10 draft pick should be. Plus, he did awful last year in Dallas. Plus, on top of all the troubles he is having on the field with chemistry and route running, he is now injured. Roy Williams is ALWAYS injured. Who better to replace TO than Baby TO? No one. He is a big star who seems to fit the mold of Jerry Jones' players. Not to mention I think it would be a safe bet to say that Mike Shannahan will be coaching in BIg D next year IMO and Marshall really shined under Shanny.

But NEVER count Dan Snyder out...

scottyboy
08-18-2009, 06:52 PM
i'd love him on the giants if he wasn't bat **** crazy. That being said, I see the Cowboys being the most likely spot. Redskins, Giants and Eagles all have young talent that they seem on being intent on throwing out there and developing.

DMWSackMachine
08-18-2009, 07:09 PM
Easily the Giants. I think they have a freight train coming their way in the guise of their WR core. If they are really relying on third bananas like Steve Smith and Domenik Hixon or young unprovens like Barden and Nicks to be the guy for them, they are sorely mistaken.

Not only do they have no #1, they don't have a solid #2 guy on the roster.

Marshall would be a godsend for them. If they were able to maneuver into getting him I could see them winning it all.

D-Unit
08-18-2009, 07:40 PM
Easily the Giants. I think they have a freight train coming their way in the guise of their WR core. If they are really relying on third bananas like Steve Smith and Domenik Hixon or young unprovens like Barden and Nicks to be the guy for them, they are sorely mistaken.

Marshall would be a godsend for them. If they were able to maneuver into getting him I could see them winning it all.
I think he would be so sick on any team in the East, but if he were on the Giants, I agree. Their SB rings would be signed, sealed, delivered.

They could probably put together a damn nice package too.

I don't think the new Jerry would do it though. They went out of their way to get rid of the bad eggs.

SeanTaylorRIP
08-18-2009, 08:11 PM
I think the Giants should trade for him but I think the Eagles are the most likely to trade for him. I don't think Snyder is a big Marshall fan. Also with the investments on Devin Thomas and Malcolm Kelly, the team is taking a wait and see approach on the wideouts, even though Santana is still the only real receiver on the team. It's sad to think how great Santana would be as a slot receiver, but will never get the chance as he'll always be our #1 as I never will see Devin or Malcolm become starting receivers.

Thumper
08-18-2009, 08:33 PM
The Eagles don't want him. They have DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin to develop.

D-Unit
08-18-2009, 08:36 PM
The Eagles don't want him. They have DeSean Jackson and Jeremy Maclin to develop.
Yeah, I don't really think Maclin will be a bust. ... Hakeem Nicks might be though. That's why I voted Giants.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-18-2009, 08:36 PM
I don't understand why this is a NFC East thing and not just a NFL thing

SeanTaylorRIP
08-18-2009, 09:09 PM

Still though you can't rule them out, the Eagles are serious about winning a championship now. Also I don't see Jackson and Maclin being the long term starters. I can see Maclin as the #2 with the deadly Jackson in the slot or vice versa but either way in the future I can easily see the Eagles considering bringing in a true #1.

D-Unit
08-18-2009, 09:30 PM
It could be, but this is the NFC East Forum Thread. Is that confusing?

Sniper
08-18-2009, 09:33 PM

Because our division is better than yours.

scottyboy
08-18-2009, 11:15 PM
see what you're all missing is that we could have had Braylon Edwards. Who, in my mind, is a better WR and MUCH less of a head case. The Giants won't bring this nutjob in here, but Dallas would. When they start to falter early with no TO, ****'s gonna hit the fan, and they'd wanna make a move ala Roy Williams last year. There's ZERO chance Marshall ends up in NYG or Philly. Dallas needs him (as do NYG and philly) but Philly just took a PR and cap hit with Vick and the Giants, under Reese, won't make a move like that. Dallas however would.

scottyboy
08-18-2009, 11:16 PM

yep, we don't even have a good number 2 guy. Just like Dallas has a top 10 secondary right? mhm. Neither Hixon or Smith would be solid #2's. Yea, that makes tons of sense.

D-Unit
08-18-2009, 11:30 PM
see what you're all missing is that we could have had Braylon Edwards. Who, in my mind, is a better WR and MUCH less of a head case. The Giants won't bring this nutjob in here, but Dallas would. When they start to falter early with no TO, ****'s gonna hit the fan, and they'd wanna make a move ala Roy Williams last year. There's ZERO chance Marshall ends up in NYG or Philly. Dallas needs him (as do NYG and philly) but Philly just took a PR and cap hit with Vick and the Giants, under Reese, won't make a move like that. Dallas however would.
Brandon Marshall is so much better than Braylon Edwards, it ain't funny.

D-Unit
08-18-2009, 11:31 PM
yep, we don't even have a good number 2 guy. Just like Dallas has a top 10 secondary right? mhm. Neither Hixon or Smith would be solid #2's. Yea, that makes tons of sense.
Haha yeah. DWM can get carried away. To say you don't have a guy who can be a #2 in this league is not true. You guys have #2s like a lot of teams in the NFL.

scottyboy
08-18-2009, 11:38 PM
Brandon Marshall is so much better than Braylon Edwards, it ain't funny.

well, we'll agree to disagree. People forget how much of a freak Braylon is and how good he was before he caught the dropsies from Tim Carter after the Rueben Droughns trade. I love his combo of height and speed. It's much closer than you say D.

The Giants would take Braylon over Marshall any day of the week. His character and insanity would keep us away. And the talent isn't THAT large of a difference either. Plus, although I haven't seen looked at Marshall in this regard, I know Braylon is a pretty good blocker, which we LOVE in our system obviously.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 01:20 AM
Philly just took a PR and cap hit with Vick

Philly's annually $20 million under the cap.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-19-2009, 03:27 AM
I can't believe he actually thinks Edwards is better than Marshall. I mean if you take away the problems off the field and just focus on what they do on the field Marshall is def the better WR by far IMO. If you put Marshall on the Browns he doesn't drop those passes.

locseti
08-19-2009, 03:35 AM
The cowboys need a receiver so bad, I dont trust williams, austin, hurd, or crayton. they're all too...average.

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 03:36 AM
I must admit. The thought of Marshall on Dallas is so damn sexy. I refuse to believe it won't happen. :p

I think if it did, then my prediction for Dallas HC next season (Shanahan) might just happen midseason! haha.

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 03:42 AM
The cowboys need a receiver so bad, I dont trust williams, austin, hurd, or crayton. they're all too...average.
They are probably the most underrated group. A lot of people think they suck, but I think they will surprise. The whole is better than the individual. Especially since Dallas runs many 2 TE set formations (they've even practiced 3 TE sets in TC... when running mostly) and the RBs will be catching a lot of balls out of the backfield. I expect Romo to have his finest statistical season of his career because he'll have many options and a lot of balanced passing. The absence of TO opens up SOOOO much. We won't have a Pro Bowler, because I'm guessing the stats won't be there. But as far as getting the job done... I like their receiving ability.

locseti
08-19-2009, 03:53 AM
i dont think they suck, but i am just so skeptical of that team without a true # 1. You say its gonna open the field up, but he didn't throw to TO anyway, all he did was draw defenders. I think witten is still going to be his security blanket that gets the majority of targets, it will be interesting to see if the other recievers can make an inmpact.

scottyboy
08-19-2009, 10:42 AM
I can't believe he actually thinks Edwards is better than Marshall. I mean if you take away the problems off the field and just focus on what they do on the field Marshall is def the better WR by far IMO. If you put Marshall on the Browns he doesn't drop those passes.

I can't believe you're trolling in the NFC East thread.

I like Braylon a lot and people forget how good a talent he was before last year. One bad year and he's in the trash, it's funny how short memories people have. And there's NO WAY you can say that. IF you put this guy somewhere else he doesn't drop those passes. Thanks miss cleo. seriously, what the **** make you know that stuff?

The fact is, give the Giants to trade for Braylon or Marshall, and we take Braylon everytime. Given the fact we turned down deals for Braylon, that shows we're not gonna trade for Marshall.

and guess what! YOU CAN'T TAKE AWAY THEIR OFF THE FIELD PROBLEMS. thanks for playing though, it was fun.

scottyboy
08-19-2009, 10:44 AM
Philly's annually $20 million under the cap.

blah, ok, I was wrong. But we both agree Philly wouldn't bring in marshall though. the philly fans might riot bringing in another guy with a bad off the field image and legal problems.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 11:23 AM
blah, ok, I was wrong. But we both agree Philly wouldn't bring in marshall though. the philly fans might riot bringing in another guy with a bad off the field image and legal problems.

They won't bring him in for that, for the price he would cost to trade for, and because of the fact that I think they're really happy with the current guys.

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 12:55 PM
i dont think they suck, but i am just so skeptical of that team without a true # 1. You say its gonna open the field up, but he didn't throw to TO anyway, all he did was draw defenders. I think witten is still going to be his security blanket that gets the majority of targets, it will be interesting to see if the other recievers can make an inmpact.
Roy has tremendous ability. I don't understand why he's not considered a #1 WR. He's been one in the past. He's a proven commodity. We know that he's a legit NFL talent. Sure he's missed time in his career due to injury. Sure he's opened his mouth and looked bad too. He's big, fast, tough and has good hands. He's really got a great opportunity here this year. If people really consider him a marginal talent, then he might open up some eyes.

TO lead the team in targets. You can't justify your statement that Romo didn't throw to him. ...and I didn't say the loss of TO will open up the field (If I think I understand what you're saying - TO drew extra coverage his way, opening up the field for others). What I meant was that it'll open up more opportunities for others to get the ball more. There will be more spreading around.

There isn't much reason to think our passing game is a big question mark. I think Romo will have his best statistical season yet, if he stays healthy all year.

JFLO
08-19-2009, 01:03 PM
I typed up a whole answer, a couple of paragraphs and my computer wouldn't send it, so now here is the short and sweet version of it:

Washington because of two reasons...

1) Terrell Owens
2) Plaxico Burress

Not to mention the fact that Daniel Snyder isn't shy from handing out money and making trades for disgruntled talent.

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 01:11 PM
I typed up a whole answer, a couple of paragraphs and my computer wouldn't send it, so now here is the short and sweet version of it:

Washington because of two reasons...

1) Terrell Owens
2) Plaxico Burress

Not to mention the fact that Daniel Snyder isn't shy from handing out money and making trades for disgruntled talent.
It sounds interesting, but I don't get it. TO and Plax? What do they have to do with it?

scottyboy
08-19-2009, 01:13 PM
It sounds interesting, but I don't get it. TO and Plax? What do they have to do with it?

cowboys, eagles and giants have all had problematic, yet skilled WR's and wouldn't wanna go down that path again.

that's what I got from it.

JFLO
08-19-2009, 01:14 PM

Is that a serious question? lol

I'm not trying to be dumb, I'm just seeing if you are joking?

JFLO
08-19-2009, 01:18 PM
cowboys, eagles and giants have all had problematic, yet skilled WR's and wouldn't wanna go down that path again.

Correct

I don't think that Philly, New York or Dallas want to bring back those scenarios to there team because it either led to the media attention you do not want or it doesn't lead to Super Bowl victories. Obviously, with the situation that New York had, it led to a championship, but they to release Plax because he brought a bad name to there franchise.

Who would want to bring Brandon Marshall to their franchise after having to deal with Terrell Owens or Plaxico Burress in the past season(s).

The guy has his own issues, whether it is beating women or crying about money. He is going to be a havoc in the locker room and in the media...it's bound to happen.

Washington hasn't really dealt with that situation...plus, the previousy mentioned fact that Snyder likes to spend money.

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 01:18 PM

So Washington because they haven't had a chance to learn their lesson yet? LOL.

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 01:29 PM
Correct

I don't think that Philly, New York or Dallas want to bring back those scenarios to there team because it either led to the media attention you do not want or it doesn't lead to Super Bowl victories. Obviously, with the situation that New York had, it led to a championship, but they to release Plax because he brought a bad name to there franchise.

Who would want to bring Brandon Marshall to their franchise after having to deal with Terrell Owens or Plaxico Burress in the past season(s).

The guy has his own issues, whether it is beating women or crying about money. He is going to be a havoc in the locker room and in the media...it's bound to happen.

Washington hasn't really dealt with that situation...plus, the previousy mentioned fact that Snyder likes to spend money.
When it comes to character issues, people are so quick to assume the worst.

Character wise...
Tank Johnson was perfectly fine in Dallas.
Pacman was perfectly fine in Dallas.

Heck... even Randy Moss has been perfectly fine in New England.

...and I'll say this... Michael Vick will be perfectly fine in Philadelphia. Some fans may have a problem with him and his past and not be able to overlook it. But Vick won't blow up the team with his character problems.

Brandon Marshall should be rewarded by the Broncos. He's earned it. $450K for this upcoming season is ridiculous. ...and he was found not guilty of the beating charges.

I also don't believe Plax was released because he was a media distraction. I think he was released because he couldn't play for them in jail. Don't buy the hype.

scottyboy
08-19-2009, 01:35 PM
So Washington because they haven't had a chance to learn their lesson yet? LOL.

not my logic, just broke down what JFlo said, geez!

and I was right, as usual :D

JFLO
08-19-2009, 01:46 PM
I totally agree with you in the fact Brandon Marshall deserves to be paid...the guy is one of the best receivers in the game when he is "on".

The guy has a bad rep as it is though and if I'm Jerry Jones or Jerry Reese or whoever, I'm thinking..."I've been through this once before, do I really want to take a serious risk of doing it again?"

He still has some court dates though doesn't he?

On the thoughts of Randy Moss, I think his character is a result of two things:

1) the fact that he is actually winning
2) the fact that he has simply matured, it's obvious because he hasn't been talking whatsoever.

With Pacman, his legal troubles are what caused him to be released by the team. After they found out that he was a suspect in the shooting in Las Vegas. Yea, he didn't have that many character issues, but once light came to his ever consistent legal problems, they had to let him go, because he was on a short leash as it was.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-19-2009, 02:11 PM
I can't believe you're trolling in the NFC East thread.

I like Braylon a lot and people forget how good a talent he was before last year. One bad year and he's in the trash, it's funny how short memories people have. And there's NO WAY you can say that. IF you put this guy somewhere else he doesn't drop those passes. Thanks miss cleo. seriously, what the **** make you know that stuff?

The fact is, give the Giants to trade for Braylon or Marshall, and we take Braylon everytime. Given the fact we turned down deals for Braylon, that shows we're not gonna trade for Marshall.

and guess what! YOU CAN'T TAKE AWAY THEIR OFF THE FIELD PROBLEMS. thanks for playing though, it was fun.

Trolling? No sorry I use the New Post button and I go into what topic I am interested in. I am not saying Edwards sucks I am just saying he isn't as good as Marshall. I mean it isn't like you said you would take Andre Johnson over Larry Fitz you said Edwards over Marshall. IMO there is a big difference in talent. You mentioned talent so when I said take away the off field problems I was saying it because I didn't want you to stray away from talent and use off field problems as a reason.

locseti
08-19-2009, 02:34 PM
Roy has tremendous ability. I don't understand why he's not considered a #1 WR. He's been one in the past. He's a proven commodity. We know that he's a legit NFL talent. Sure he's missed time in his career due to injury. Sure he's opened his mouth and looked bad too. He's big, fast, tough and has good hands. He's really got a great opportunity here this year. If people really consider him a marginal talent, then he might open up some eyes.

TO lead the team in targets. You can't justify your statement that Romo didn't throw to him. ...and I didn't say the loss of TO will open up the field (If I think I understand what you're saying - TO drew extra coverage his way, opening up the field for others). What I meant was that it'll open up more opportunities for others to get the ball more. There will be more spreading around.

There isn't much reason to think our passing game is a big question mark. I think Romo will have his best statistical season yet, if he stays healthy all year.

I just really didn't like what I saw from Roy last season, and his injury history, it makes me wonder about him as a #1 going forward, so I guess I'll have to reserve judgment until this season.

I know TO led the team in targets, but his number of targets had steadily declined from 2006 thru 2008, and there really wasn't a reason for that. In 2008, he only had 18 more targets than Witten, a TE, albeit one of the best, but TO is a gamebreaker. It was pretty obvious to me in a couple games I saw that he was forcing the ball to Witten, even players on other teams were saying they knew those throws were coming. I don't think Witten and Romo were conspiring against him like his dumb ass said, I just think that Romo trusts witten so much that he is most comfortable throwing to him, so my point is I am not sure how much that is going to change with the departure of TO and the emergence of the young guys. I know Cowboy fans like those receivers, but I really believe the absence of TO is going to be a problem for the cowboys at some point in the season. Im pretty sure the Cowboys are gonna run the ball like crazy, so maybe it wont be a big deal, but I still think the Boys are better with TO. We'll certainly see this season, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see them making the playoffs this year.

BaLLiN
08-19-2009, 03:47 PM
I also don't believe Plax was released because he was a media distraction. I think he was released because he couldn't play for them in jail. Don't buy the hype.

he requested to be released, im not sure where jerry was exactly on his plan because plax had been in the media alot at the time that this happened. Plax had also (around the same time) been talking to some teams apparently.

Brandon Marshall is a ridiculous reciever, but i feel that Scotty is right, we would always take Braylon over him. Braylon was easily a top 10 WR for 1 maybe 2 years before his suckage. BM is a much better open field runner, Braylon in that year carried his team, he was the better reciever especially considering his rush offense was pretty bad.

Hakeem Nicks is now being shitted on, he had 2 opportunities to catch the ball and he caught one. Both times the ball wasnt thrown well and the defender had already touched the ball or gotten his hand in or on Nicks's. On the long ball he definitely was out of position and the one he caught he luckily clung to himself.

we had a chance at Britt, and Britt looked good, he also was completely uncovered for his TD, he had the ball thrown to him well and because of his large body it was easy for him to catch the balls and on the nice post he absorbed the hit. Britt looks better but he also was with VY and not Bomar who looked stupid.

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 03:55 PM
I just really didn't like what I saw from Roy last season, and his injury history, it makes me wonder about him as a #1 going forward, so I guess I'll have to reserve judgment until this season.

I know TO led the team in targets, but his number of targets had steadily declined from 2006 thru 2008, and there really wasn't a reason for that. In 2008, he only had 18 more targets than Witten, a TE, albeit one of the best, but TO is a gamebreaker. It was pretty obvious to me in a couple games I saw that he was forcing the ball to Witten, even players on other teams were saying they knew those throws were coming. I don't think Witten and Romo were conspiring against him like his dumb ass said, I just think that Romo trusts witten so much that he is most comfortable throwing to him, so my point is I am not sure how much that is going to change with the departure of TO and the emergence of the young guys. I know Cowboy fans like those receivers, but I really believe the absence of TO is going to be a problem for the cowboys at some point in the season. Im pretty sure the Cowboys are gonna run the ball like crazy, so maybe it wont be a big deal, but I still think the Boys are better with TO. We'll certainly see this season, maybe I'm wrong, but I don't see them making the playoffs this year.
Yeah, but we didn't make the playoffs last season either WITH Owens... can't put that on Roy's shoulders.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 04:15 PM
Yeah, but we didn't make the playoffs last season either WITH Owens... can't put that on Roy's shoulders.

I think part of it can be blamed on Williams. If he would have produced more, the Cowboys' offense would have been much more efficient. I remember being terrified when Williams came over and wishing that the Eagles had dealt for him, but he obviously didn't produce as expected.

DMWSackMachine
08-19-2009, 05:44 PM

Right now I think Steve Smith might be ready to take a step up and become a solid #2, but he hasn't been in the past. Look at the career best seasons for each guy you're relying on

Smith: 57/574/1
Hixon: 43/596/2
Moss: 21/225/0

Do those numbers scream "potential #1 guy?" No. Not just that, but each of those top two guys were generated during a season when Plaxico was out, so they were sort of sharing top dog status, no one to take away options like most #2s have. This is the real reason why NY fell apart down the stretch last season.

Going into last season Patrick Crayton was our #2. Remember all the hullabaloo about "Dallas' WRs are sooooo weak, they are screwed, blahaahahalhaha." Crayton's #s as a #2? 50/697/7. And that's ignoring the fact that he was really a #3 reciever, as Dallas had the league's top receving TE taking up a ton of the touches as well. Yet Crayton was chopped liver at the #2 WR spot, and his numbers blow both Hixon and Smith's numbers out of the water.

My point was that Smith and Hixon have not established themselves as legit, rock solid #2s at this point in their careers. They may be able to do that, or maybe not.

But one thing we know for sure is that neither is a #1, nor will they ever be. The Giants are going to trot out an anemic passing game this year and if their defense isn't dominant, its going to cost them a playoff spot.

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 06:14 PM
I think part of it can be blamed on Williams. If he would have produced more, the Cowboys' offense would have been much more efficient. I remember being terrified when Williams came over and wishing that the Eagles had dealt for him, but he obviously didn't produce as expected.
You obviously don't understand the situation he got thrown into. But I didn't expect you to. If you're expecting Roy to have the same impact this year that he had last year, you'll be in for an eye opener.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 08:33 PM
You obviously don't understand the situation he got thrown into. But I didn't expect you to. If you're expecting Roy to have the same impact this year that he had last year, you'll be in for an eye opener.

No, I do understand the situation. I also don't think he'll be as bad. However, he never topped three catches or 51 yards as a Cowboy. I think he could have done better.

D-Unit
08-19-2009, 09:30 PM
No, I do understand the situation. I also don't think he'll be as bad. However, he never topped three catches or 51 yards as a Cowboy. I think he could have done better.
I also don't think that defines him as a player either.