PDA

View Full Version : Football Advice

Malaka
08-19-2009, 04:40 PM
I made a thread like this last year... I couldn't find it so I'll make a new one. I am 14 years old going to be a sophomore at my high school, if you remember from last time I was 6'0 145 I believe, now I am 6'1 172 and I ran a 4.9... now I am playing OLB in a 3-4 defense, this is JV because unfortunately I have been moved to a new school district where they just made a new school so there are only freshman and sophomores.

I'd really like some advice on how to play the OLB position, I seem to cut in too much while containing, but I am a very good pass rusher. I'm a wrap-up tackler, very fluid, and is always around the ball, so I guess I have good instincts. My problems stem from containment, when I go head-up vs the tackle, or even the fullback I seem to cut in too much and I also seem to be a finesse type backer and try to avoid the lineman altogether instead of going head up and pushing him back. I am the favorite to win the position but I'd like to be the best I possibly can be.

Dr. Gonzo
08-19-2009, 04:42 PM
Stop being a guido...

Malaka
08-19-2009, 04:43 PM
Stop being a guido...

I am trying my best!

Sniper
08-19-2009, 04:47 PM
Eat a sandwich.

Also, get aggressive and stop being a cooter. ;)

Jakey
08-19-2009, 04:48 PM
Nice thread. Im looking to start playing over here in the u.k.

Im like 5'9" 150 and pretty fast, so that retty much narrows it down to CB or WR. I know that sounds small, but teams are generally smaller over here, so it shouldnt be a problem.

Any info on techniques to learn, training regiments etc? That would be cool. And rep would be given.

Thanks peeps.

Brent
08-19-2009, 04:49 PM
Get faster.

Malaka
08-19-2009, 04:56 PM
Well, I am not afraid of contact... I might be playing FB as well as OLB, I just seem to just find it easier to go around him, but then usually I cut in too much, it really doesn't hurt me unless they run a reverse, I am faster than most on the team... yes with a 4.9... I think the fastest was a 4.69, then 4.8, then some 4.9ss, and then 5s, and then just a lot of slow people.

Obviously I am trying to get faster.... as you saw with my guidoness I have not been working out just drinking, but I am going to stop that and dedicate myself, but I think its pretty good that I just woke-up and ran a 4.9 without any training at all.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 05:03 PM
Did you start doing squats like I told you to last year?

Malaka
08-19-2009, 05:15 PM
Did you start doing squats like I told you to last year?

I have been but not consistently enough... I do not know exactly how much I squat because the gym in my house has a balanced thing so its not really exact and I don't have a spotter so I can't exactly push myself too hard.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 05:20 PM
I have been but not consistently enough... I do not know exactly how much I squat because the gym in my house has a balanced thing so its not really exact and I don't have a spotter so I can't exactly push myself too hard.

Go to your school weight room. Put weight on the bar. Squat. Squat. Squat. When you're done squatting, deadlift. Do power cleans. Lunges. Step-ups.

wicket
08-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Well, I am not afraid of contact... I might be playing FB as well as OLB, I just seem to just find it easier to go around him, but then usually I cut in too much, it really doesn't hurt me unless they run a reverse, I am faster than most on the team... yes with a 4.9... I think the fastest was a 4.69, then 4.8, then some 4.9ss, and then 5s, and then just a lot of slow people.

Obviously I am trying to get faster.... as you saw with my guidoness I have not been working out just drinking, but I am going to stop that and dedicate myself, but I think its pretty good that I just woke-up and ran a 4.9 without any training at all.

were you timed at your own start or did you get a start signal when timing the 40 cuz if its proper 40 dashes than you have one slow team hombre.
But seriously I can help you a bit in being a good athlete, not specifically football.
Couple of advices for your overall athletisism:
- watch your diet, you are what you eat
- work on your balance, to put it simple, if you trip over something you shouldnt fall.
- there is not a time you cant working on stretches and stuff making you more nimble and stuff

Malaka
08-19-2009, 05:22 PM
Go to your school weight room. Put weight on the bar. Squat. Squat. Squat. When you're done squatting, deadlift. Do power cleans. Lunges. Step-ups.

Yeah I have really not been an athlete, and I regret that I am turning over a new leaf and maybe I'll rid my guidoness in the process.. I really want to be the best I possibly can be hopefully I can stick with that, I will definitely hit the weight room.

Malaka
08-19-2009, 05:25 PM
were you timed at your own start or did you get a start signal when timing the 40 cuz if its proper 40 dashes than you have one slow team hombre.
But seriously I can help you a bit in being a good athlete, not specifically football.
Couple of advices for your overall athletisism:
- watch your diet, you are what you eat
- work on your balance, to put it simple, if you trip over something you shouldnt fall.
- there is not a time you cant working on stretches and stuff making you more nimble and stuff

We are slow... its just freshmen and sophomores, thats the whole school.

I have been tripped once or twice in game, I manage to stay on my feet when I truck someone or try to get crack-backed, but a couple of times I have tripped on someone, but I also have played the last two days with a slightly pulled hamstring.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 05:25 PM
Yeah I have really not been an athlete, and I regret that I am turning over a new leaf and maybe I'll rid my guidoness in the process.. I really want to be the best I possibly can be hopefully I can stick with that, I will definitely hit the weight room.

Get someone who knows their **** to teach you things like squats, deads and cleans. You'll kill yourself with bad technique.

Malaka
08-19-2009, 05:27 PM
Get someone who knows their **** to teach you things like squats, deads and cleans. You'll kill yourself with bad technique.

I am going to get my coach to help me out once the weight room opens, the school is brand new and actually under construction still... I have also asked around if anyone new any trainers that would be willing to come to my house's gym for pay obviously and just train me.

TACKLE
08-19-2009, 05:32 PM
I know you want to rush the passer and get after the quarterback but contain is your number 1 responsibility. You have to stay disciplined and play run first. In highschool, most teams are run orientated. A lot of teams try to run sweeps with best athlete and try to get him around the corner. As a DE or OLB who has contain responsibilities, it is not necessarily going to be a glorified position but it is vital to the defense. It's more important to stop the play from happening by keeping contain than it is to try to make the play by yourself and end up getting beat around the corner.

From a technical standpoint, don't take the OT or the FB head on. You take him on with your inside shoulder always keeping your outside hand free while still keeping your hips square to the line. That way, if they try to bounce it outside, you'll be in a postition where you can get off the block and make the play. If they try to cut it up inside of you, you drive your man inside and squeeze down but make sure you keep the same relationship with your outside hand free. If you take on the block square, the ball carrier can cut either way off you. When you play it the other way, you force him to make a decision. You want him to cut inside of you because that's where your help will be but if he tries to cut it out, you'll be able to make a big play.

I hope that helps. It's kind of tough to explain without actually showing you. Remember, always play run first, pass second. I know you want to get after the QB but keeping contain is your number one responsibility.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 05:33 PM
I am going to get my coach to help me out once the weight room opens, the school is brand new and actually under construction still... I have also asked around if anyone new any trainers that would be willing to come to my house's gym for pay obviously and just train me.

How developed is your home gym?

FatJJ44
08-19-2009, 05:34 PM
Just work your hardest in practice, and ask your coaches after practice what you need to workon and what drills you can do for to help

wicket
08-19-2009, 05:36 PM
We are slow... its just freshmen and sophomores, thats the whole school.

I have been tripped once or twice in game, I manage to stay on my feet when I truck someone or try to get crack-backed, but a couple of times I have tripped on someone, but I also have played the last two days with a slightly pulled hamstring.

We'll i know my measurables at that age pretty well and if you wanna get recruited you need to get those up but thats quite easy to do with better technique. When i first had a decent running coach (not for track but just as part of the training) he managed to get almost a half second of my 100m sprint at the same age you are now. This translates to .2 on a 40 yard dash and maybe even more since most i learned was starting better.
But you can work on that starting speed (also same tech you need for cuts and stuff like that) pretty easy if you have a stopwatch and a parent willing to help you a lot.
Main advices in that part:
- Look that you keep your legs under your body, people tend to bounce their knees out a bit when taking off, it'll make sure you lose some of your power and kicking your knees out makes them more injury prone as well.
- Start with small enough strides in a sprint and start low enough.

awfullyquiet
08-19-2009, 05:37 PM
as you saw with my guidoness I have not been working out just drinking, but I am going to stop that and dedicate myself,

you're not a man yet... you can't dedicate yourself.

grow up.

Staubach12
08-19-2009, 05:37 PM

Power cleans are the ****.

And my advice to you, Malaka, is soak this in:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iOIqDixqV4

Seriously, nothing helped me play better than watching the best at work.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 05:41 PM
Power cleans are the ****.

And my advice to you, Malaka, is soak this in:

For hockey, I used to start my leg workout with squats, deadlifts, and power cleans. Then, I'd cry.

TACKLE
08-19-2009, 05:52 PM

I'm going to have to disagree with you a bit here. Although it can never hurt to watch great players at your position, remember, pass rushers in the NFL are paid to get sacks. They get big money for playing solid against the run and keeping contain. They are there to get sacks. Obviously try to take somethings from guys like Ware, but as a highschool player, you don't want to emulate your game after his.

Shahin
08-19-2009, 05:55 PM
I know you want to rush the passer and get after the quarterback but contain is your number 1 responsibility. You have to stay disciplined and play run first. In highschool, most teams are run orientated. A lot of teams try to run sweeps with best athlete and try to get him around the corner. As a DE or OLB who has contain responsibilities, it is not necessarily going to be a glorified position but it is vital to the defense. It's more important to stop the play from happening by keeping contain than it is to try to make the play by yourself and end up getting beat around the corner.

From a technical standpoint, don't take the OT or the FB head on. You take him on with your inside shoulder always keeping your outside hand free while still keeping your hips square to the line. That way, if they try to bounce it outside, you'll be in a postition where you can get off the block and make the play. If they try to cut it up inside of you, you drive your man inside and squeeze down but make sure you keep the same relationship with your outside hand free. If you take on the block square, the ball carrier can cut either way off you. When you play it the other way, you force him to make a decision. You want him to cut inside of you because that's where your help will be but if he tries to cut it out, you'll be able to make a big play.

I hope that helps. It's kind of tough to explain without actually showing you. Remember, always play run first, pass second. I know you want to get after the QB but keeping contain is your number one responsibility.

make sure you read this post more than any of the others.

awfullyquiet
08-19-2009, 06:04 PM
make sure you read this post more than any of the others.

because the most vital thing is... prevent them from breaking a big run.

if they get outside and turn the corner... there's not 7 boys trying to stop them... keep them inside... and get faster... it's easier to tackle someone by pushing them back inside than by letting them beat you on the outside and catching up to them. ESPECIALLY because you're not fast.

If you're faster than they are... Sure, it's less of an issue. But, you have to play technique and be in position at all times, don't over pursue. and stop drinking. it stunts your growth broski.

Jakey
08-19-2009, 06:14 PM
and stop drinking. it stunts your growth broski.

True that, hence my stature :p

Malaka
08-19-2009, 06:15 PM
Week 1 of not drinking has gone well I went out with friends but did no drinking.

Sniper my home gym is pretty good, the apartment's president's wife is near body builder status as a women, so she put all the stuff in their I am sure she has put together a solid but small gym over there.

Thanks a lot Tackle, that post really helped honestly. I guess I have been dying to make big plays, I have been nervous about not starting, I want to be noticed, the linebackers/d-line coach loves me and so does the d-coordinator. I think I over think, if I can just relax, be confident in my play, and most importantly have fun doing it... I think I can be great. Honestly, I think I am very raw I just need so get better mechanics and be more aware of my priorities.

sweetness34
08-19-2009, 06:19 PM
Plyometrics are your best friend if you are trying to increase explosion.

Malaka
08-19-2009, 06:24 PM
I could use help everywhere in general. My pros are pretty much my jump off the ball, nose for the ball, and I can bully most O-linemen. The negatives would be speed, and containment against the run.

TitanHope
08-19-2009, 06:27 PM
If it's just freshman and sophomores on your team, Malaka, then take a leadership role. Find a gym that's close to the school, and orchestrate workout sessions after school/weekends/days when you have no practice. Start off small with you and a few others, and if ya'll like it, start inviting more team mates. They'll have guys there who are trained and know what they're doing, and soon enough, it'll become a ritual for you guys. When you figure out what to do and how to do it, then you guys can hold workouts and lifting sessions at your school's weight room.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 08:34 PM
Plyometrics are your best friend if you are trying to increase explosion.

Can I get an Amen from the congregation?

sweetness34
08-19-2009, 08:40 PM
Did them all the time in soccer, they suck ass but you will see results in a very short amount of time.

YAYareaRB
08-19-2009, 08:43 PM
Issues

Containment: One thing to remember is that as a OLB, you force plays inside. Outside contain guys usually don't make much plays but they open up opportunities for other guys to make the stop.

vs Blockers: Since you're on JV, you won't see much Zone blocking schemes. More often then not, your gonna be matched up one on one with most blockers. I'll tell you from experience, the people that gave ME the most trouble while I was trying to block are the low guys that took on the block head on. One thing to remember about being head on blocked is having your hands on the blocker for separation and KEEPING YOUR EYES IN THE BACKFIELD. More often than not you'll get a feel for the play just from the type of block you're facing. Shed the block.

Things to work on: Hand quickness, defensive lineman techniques, staying low, and keeping your eyes on the ball carrier.

The Lower man will win 9 times out of 10.

Brent
08-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Can I get an Amen from the congregation?
Amen, reverend!

also, malaka, when working on your upper body, use free weights. lower body: all the olympic lifts.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 08:46 PM
I almost forgot. Get a tire, tie it to a cord, tie said cord to yourself, run sprints. GREAT SUCCESS!

sweetness34
08-19-2009, 08:48 PM
I almost forgot. Get a tire, tie it to a cord, tie said cord to yourself, run sprints. GREAT SUCCESS!

http://h2dj.com/uclaradionews/files/borat-high-five.jpg

YAYareaRB
08-19-2009, 08:48 PM
Power Cleans and Squats.. Take 'em serious!

Xonraider
08-19-2009, 08:59 PM
I'm a 5'5'' 166 pound varsity tackle!!!!!!!!!

YAYareaRB
08-19-2009, 09:03 PM
I'm a 5'5'' 166 pound varsity tackle!!!!!!!!!

the Lower man will win! lol

Rob S
08-19-2009, 09:09 PM
Get strong, get fast......in HS strong and fast people can dominate even if they arent tremendous natural athletes. Squats, Deadlifts, Cleans, Sprints, and Plyo work will make you a beast.....especially at the JV level.

YAYareaRB
08-19-2009, 09:16 PM
I played ILB for my JV team, along with Mason Foster(Washington), at 6'1" 255 ahahah. I was just a glorified hole plugger because I couldnt man cover to save my life. But I dominated in JV because I was a more explosive than most of the kids out there.

wogitalia
08-19-2009, 10:19 PM
Tackle pretty much covered it.

Key to containment is engaging the blocker and keeping your outside shoulder and arm free so that you dont allow that blocker to go downfield but also dont get tied up and pushed inside or backwards, if you let a blocker get his hands inside you, you are beaten already.

The other thing that Tackle didnt mention is know your reads and make them quick. Generally at OLB your first read will be the tackle on your side, don't get caught looking in the backfield. If the tackle is firing out at you it is very important to engage and be prepared for a run in your direction, if his first step is back it is far more likely to be a pass play, in which case you can sell out on the blitz a little more.

Finally, when blitzing, always attack the outside shoulder of the QB, if you go hard inside or at the middle you make it far easier for him to step outside you, make him step up in the pocket into the pressure, don't let him step outside, same rules apply when blitzing on a run play, force him inside where the help is and you have done your job, worst thing you can do is over pursue inside and let a RB get outside you and get shots at your secondary.

Hope this helps a bit, pretty much is the core of playing OLB, if you do all these things well, everything else should fall into place.

steelersfan43
08-19-2009, 10:29 PM
Be good at sports

superman8456
08-19-2009, 10:33 PM
OK, I know you want to be a sack artist and everything, but you're playing JV highschool football. That means teams do one thing, and that is run the ball. Its all about how you shed blocks and recognize plays/where the ball is going. Its not like highschool playbooks are real think either, so you will see the same play numerous times in a single game.

You say you want to be the best you can be and everything, and then you say that you ran a 4.9 without any training lately. You need to understand how much work top D1 recruits put in everyday. It is not easy and you have to make a ******** of sacrifices.

JFLO
08-19-2009, 10:44 PM
I played strongside end in high school and one thing that my HS coach taught me that I felt took me a long way was to learn how to use my hands the right way, especially when shedding blocks.

Also, I think another good drill if your playing either end or linebacker is the cone drill. Increasing your footwork and being light on your feet is a pretty good trait to have.

Caddy
08-19-2009, 11:03 PM
Guidos can't play football Malaka.

Sniper
08-19-2009, 11:05 PM
Guidos can't play football Malaka.

It's true. This is because guidos are not actually people.

Brent
08-20-2009, 01:52 AM
It's true. This is because guidos are not actually people.
they're ******* heathens, I say.

A Perfect Score
08-20-2009, 02:03 AM
I played LB (both inside and outside) for about 12 years, both rep and high school. And while I always enjoyed MLB more then OLB, most of the stuff thats been said already is the stuff you need to keep in mind. At OLB, my first advice is KEEP YOUR HEAD ON A SWIVEL! Dont get crack blocked, odds are in high school offenses, you may see some crack blocks coming from the WR position that can really blindside you, especially on sweeps. Dont get caught by those.

Another thing that I will advise you to do, that alot of people wont, is that as an OLB, you are faster then the guy trying to block you. Whether its an OT, TE, or FB, you should be faster then all of them. And people cant block what they cant touch. Use that to your advantage. Keep in mind not to overrun your responsibilites, and take a wide enough route so you dont have to worry about them breaking contain, but the odds are you should know whether you need to contain a half second into the play. At that point, just be faster, plain and simple.

As the others said, keep your outside shoulder outside, and never let your body get turned in. They teach you to engage the OT, but you seem like a fairly small kid so id focus on using speed/hands to your advantage rather then trying to bully around a much bigger OT/FB. Oh, watch out for FBs btw. Its my own personal experience that they are usually the meanest and dirtiest blockers on the offense. They arent above taking out your knees, so watch out for that.

Odds are, at 14, you want to be the Demarcus Ware or Shawn Merriman of your team, but the reality of it is OLB is actually a pretty boring position unless you are blitzing every play. I always preferred MLB, alot more freedom and playmaking chances. That said, I had alot of fun playing OLB as well, because you can lay alot of mean tackles on those sweeps, which are alot more common in high school ball then anything you see on TV.

You talk alot about the run, but what about pass coverage? Are you alright in that? It can be a big asset in high school ball, as alot of teams put their best player at RB and love to get those kids the ball in space, ie the flats, where you would be covering as an OLB.

Malaka
08-20-2009, 08:32 AM
I want to thank everyone for helping me out here, I'll try to use everything I learned at practice today, I realize that I need to stop the run not make the big play. I think I know what I have to do know, my linebacker coach has preached a similar thing about the run, I guess it just went past my head there but now I realize that I am not DeMarcus Ware and my position is pretty lackluster although very important.

Also on a sidenote... how big were you guys in JV lol... I am the 2nd biggest on my team (well tallest) on my team, the other guy is 6'2 215 and he is playing OT and NT, then every one else who weighs more than me is like 5'6-5-10 210-240.

I am great in pass coverage, I know where everyone needs to be and I know all the play calls, and everything, if there is one thing I know I am good at is blitzing and coverage. Sometimes I think I'd be better an ILB, just because I can tackle, just containment is a bit hard to grasp, where at ILB I do have my responsibilities in the gaps, but I really just need to have good instincts on where the ball is going.

Brent
08-20-2009, 09:57 AM
how big were you guys in JV
5'9" and about 160 for the first half of HS, and then about 170 for my last two years. But I haz teh speedz.

Sniper
08-20-2009, 10:02 AM
You're going into 10th grade? I think I was 6', 190 lbs then.

YAYareaRB
08-20-2009, 10:05 AM
Also on a sidenote... how big were you guys in JV lol...

6'2" 255-260

I played linebacker and fullback/runningback tho.

Malaka
08-20-2009, 10:08 AM
6'2" 255-260

So my school is tiny damn lol, I need to put on some weight.

wicket
08-20-2009, 10:11 AM
6'6 230ish

but im dutch so i never player jv, you are 15 right?
if 14 then 6'4 210ish

Malaka
08-20-2009, 10:24 AM
6'6 230ish

but im dutch so i never player jv, you are 15 right?
if 14 then 6'4 210ish

I am 14 I turn 15 next month.

YAYareaRB
08-20-2009, 10:38 AM
Enjoy your JV days. It's nothing but fun and games. Our team was so talented I think we're the first JV team around here to go 10-0.

Varsity is when things start getting serious. Championships need to be won, seats need to be filled, and recruiters need to be bated in. Or at least thats what they told us when I got up to Varsity.

Malaka
08-20-2009, 11:07 AM
Enjoy your JV days. It's nothing but fun and games. Our team was so talented I think we're the first JV team around here to go 10-0.

Varsity is when things start getting serious. Championships need to be won, seats need to be filled, and recruiters need to be bated in. Or at least thats what they told us when I got up to Varsity.

Same thing they told me at Krop, but at this new school the JV is the varsity.. the first football game ever for the school is september 9th, they're is no varsity until maybe next year if were good enough to have a juniors, sophomores, and freshmen varsity team, we'd either be a killer JV or ****** varsity next year.

A Perfect Score
08-20-2009, 11:35 AM
In JV? prolly about 6'0 200...I was about 6'2 220 at the end of high school though, and for most of my high level stuff I was that weight

YAYareaRB
08-20-2009, 11:38 AM
At the end of HS I was about 6'3" 300 lbs.

eaglesalltheway
08-20-2009, 11:42 AM

This is really good advice, the only thing I'd add is to keep your inside foot at your opponents outside foot, while keeping things square. That way it is nearly impossible for whoever isblocking you to get outside of you and seal off the edge. And if the paly goes inside, do just what TACKLE said, drive him inside and clog it up. Using this technique in the pass rush will help you power past some weaker blockers as well when you are required to rush the passer.

eaglesalltheway
08-20-2009, 11:54 AM
Issues

Containment: One thing to remember is that as a OLB, you force plays inside. Outside contain guys usually don't make much plays but they open up opportunities for other guys to make the stop.

vs Blockers: Since you're on JV, you won't see much Zone blocking schemes. More often then not, your gonna be matched up one on one with most blockers. I'll tell you from experience, the people that gave ME the most trouble while I was trying to block are the low guys that took on the block head on. One thing to remember about being head on blocked is having your hands on the blocker for separation and KEEPING YOUR EYES IN THE BACKFIELD. More often than not you'll get a feel for the play just from the type of block you're facing. Shed the block.

Things to work on: Hand quickness, defensive lineman techniques, staying low, and keeping your eyes on the ball carrier.

The Lower man will win 9 times out of 10.

That is the key right there, if you can stand your opponent up, they aren't getting the strength needed from the core and lower body to do their job, if you incorporate what Tackle said, with this, and the foot positioning I was telling you, it'll vastly imporve your abilities to seal the edge, as well as helping out in your overall game.

JFLO
08-20-2009, 11:59 AM
I played on both freshman and varsity because my school was pretty small, so we didn't have a lot of players.

I was like 5'10" 160 my freshman year...6'2" 190 my senior year

YAYareaRB
08-20-2009, 12:32 PM
I wish I could have played Varsity as a sophomore but there's about 60-70 something kids that come out for Varsity every year.

Shahin
08-20-2009, 03:44 PM
6'2" 255-260

in JV WTF!

YAYareaRB
08-20-2009, 04:01 PM
in JV WTF!

When your an islander.. you tend to grow faster hahaha