PDA

View Full Version : Daniel Bullocks waived

Brodeur
08-19-2009, 06:25 PM
The Detroit Lions placed safety Daniel Bullocks on the waived/injured list today because of a lingering knee problem, making him a free agent.

Bullocks, a 2006 second-round draft pick, missed the ’07 season because of a torn anterior cruciate ligament suffered in an exhibition. He returned to play 16 games last year, starting 15, and was the Lions’ recipient of the Ed Block Courage Award in honor of his comeback.

But the knee sidelined him in training camp this year, and he visited the surgeon who repaired it.

“There’s nothing new with his knee,” coach Jim Schwartz said Aug. 11 after Bullocks visited the surgeon. “He had a significant knee injury that’s troublesome, and we’ve just got to find a way to push through that.”

Schwartz said then that the Lions would “shut him down for a little while, and then sort of take it slow again with an eye toward getting him back on the field.” He said it was too early to plan on being without him.

Asked Monday how long the Lions could wait before making a decision, general manager Martin Mayhew said: “I really can’t tell you that. We have to make them as we have to make them, and we haven’t had to make a decision on him just yet, so we haven’t.”

Well now there's even less safety depth and unless Henry moves to safety, Marquand Manuel will probably start. Awesome. Also, the 2006 draft sucks.

WMD
08-19-2009, 06:36 PM
I remember when we had too many safeties!

Anyways, what about Kalvin Pearson and Louis Delmas at Safety?

detknowitall
08-19-2009, 07:11 PM

Thats like saying what about a speed bumb and Louis Delmas.

Brodeur
08-19-2009, 07:15 PM

Well Pearson isn't a good starting safety so...

SINCE1978
08-19-2009, 07:44 PM
I know it's hind-sight, but we signed former MSU S Otis Wiley in April (after the draft) and then cut him. Wikipidia said he failed his Lion's physical and nothing more? Is this guy still in the league? He could help us now, assuming it was the knee that failed him ... 4 months ago ... maybe he is healthy now and could fill a void.
Eric Berry or Taylor Mays in 2010!!! (kidding ... gulp)

DoWnThEfiElD
08-19-2009, 08:30 PM
The lack of depth is scary...

Could you imagine if Marinelli was still coaching we would be signing John Lynch right now...

Brent
08-19-2009, 08:32 PM
Thats like saying what about a speed bumb and Louis Delmas.
Haha, +rep when I can.

Brothgar
08-19-2009, 08:33 PM
Yeah that Dennis Northcut deal just turned to ****.

Xiomera
08-21-2009, 10:55 AM
From Kowalski at MLive:

In five consecutive years of drafting, from 2002 to '06, the Lions selected a total of 39 players, and only two remain -- starting linebacker Ernie Sims ('06) and backup cornerback Keith Smith ('04).

Oh. my. God.

Geo
08-21-2009, 11:02 AM
They did get picks out of Roy Williams though, including Brandon Pettigrew.

Brodeur
08-21-2009, 11:03 AM
From Kowalski at MLive:

Oh. my. God.

The only impact player from the 2007 class is Calvin Johnson, so it's a string of suck.

D-Unit
08-21-2009, 12:38 PM
Anthony Henry really should move to Safety. His corner skills have diminished. He was our worst corner last year. He plays such soft zone coverage and gets beat in man. His best technique is bumping guys off of their routes to disrupt timing. He's physical, but he gets hurt a lot, so it's a double edged sword. If he's completely healthy and in shape though, I can see him being a decent safety.

Xiomera
08-21-2009, 01:55 PM
Anthony Henry really should move to Safety. His corner skills have diminished. He was our worst corner last year. He plays such soft zone coverage and gets beat in man. His best technique is bumping guys off of their routes to disrupt timing. He's physical, but he gets hurt a lot, so it's a double edged sword. If he's completely healthy and in shape though, I can see him being a decent safety.

Chances are, he will.

THe Lions have some depth at CB, albeit not top notch. We have a bunch of #3 CB's after Buchanon.

PACKmanN
08-21-2009, 02:07 PM
lmao @ Manuel starting...

TitanHope
08-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Chances are, he will.

THe Lions have some depth at CB, albeit not top notch. We have a bunch of #3 CB's after Buchanon.

You mean a few #3 CB's, Buchanon, and the demigod that is Eric King, right?

Xiomera
08-21-2009, 07:44 PM
You mean a few #3 CB's, Buchanon, and the demigod that is Eric King, right?

I'd call Buchanon a #2. Keith Smith is pretty good when healthy.

Brodeur
08-21-2009, 07:48 PM
I'd call Buchanon a #2. Keith Smith is pretty good when healthy.

Ehhhhhhhhhh Keith Smith.

Xiomera
08-21-2009, 08:01 PM
Ehhhhhhhhhh Keith Smith.

He's no Morgan Trent.

SINCE1978
08-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Bullocks cleared waivers so he will sit in the infirmary in 2009 with Devries. My guess is Jared retires and Daniel never makes it back in the league after 2 knee surgeries in as many years. (Very Zumaya-ish) That's unfortunate, both would have contributed in 09 in Detroit?
On to who CAN help us .... I was a little surprised we did not make a run at CB Jason David when the NO Saints cut him last week. Move Henry to safety with Delmas (Manuel, Pearson, Schweigert) would be serviceable for S. Let Buchannon & David start and King & K. Smith back-up. Jason David was scooped up right away ... Miami maybe?