PDA

View Full Version : AFC South Division Champions

S T R I N G
08-19-2009, 08:08 PM
Who do you think is going to win the AFC South?

Respond to the poll and post your explanation here.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-19-2009, 09:59 PM
Tennessee because they don't really lack anything. The only other team that I think has are the Colts but I think the loss of Dungy will have a bigger impact than a lot of people think.

Smooth Criminal
08-19-2009, 10:01 PM
I'm taking the Colts. I don't think the changes in coaching matter too much. As long as Manning is there theyll be good. If they can beat Tennessee head to head I think they take the division.

Job
08-19-2009, 10:42 PM
Went Colts here. I've been predicting the Titans not making the playoffs for the last 3 years, I'm bound to be right one day or another. + Dungy and Harrison are gone.

aNYtitan
08-19-2009, 11:21 PM
Went Colts here. I've been predicting the Titans not making the playoffs for the last 3 years, I'm bound to be right one day or another. + Dungy and Harrison are gone.

How is losing the head coach going to propel the creatures of habit that are the Colts into the playoffs.

Called the Titans on this one of course. They brought in a number 1 receiver in the draft, held onto their game manager QB, CJ is back after a year of seasoning, LenDale has frickin lost weight and kept it off, O-line is one of the best in the league. D-Line got hurt with the loss of Fat Al, but a lot of people feel that Jason Jones will fill in nicely. LB core and secondary remain the same, and I predict Griffin and Hope will be one of the best safety duos, if not the best in the league

yourfavestoner
08-20-2009, 01:03 AM
I'm calling for the Texans to put it all together and win it. This division is much weaker than people think.

Hines
08-20-2009, 01:30 AM
Colts. I think Donald Brown will be a huge asset for that offense, Anthony Gonzalez will put up big numbers, and well, Peyton is Peyton. Only thing lacking IMO is a rush defense which should get better.

DoughBoy
08-20-2009, 01:32 AM
The Texans IMO are not a playoff team yet. They have one of the worst secondaries in the NFL (the worst saftey tandem hands down), an injury prone QB that even when healthy is inconsistant, a very mediocre D-line (outside of Mario) ,and a unproven linebacker core. Also throw in the fact that depth is an issue on pretty much every level on that team and you have major potential for disaster.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-20-2009, 01:44 AM
I just think the Colts are flawed on defense and have NO running game(I think Addia was a fluke). I think the Texans are a long way from a division title. The Jaguars could surprise some people this year but I wouldn't bet on it. The Titans are a very good team. They have a monster secondary that is very stingy and an offensive line that don't give up many sacks. With a 1-2 punch like Cj and White their running game will be insane. They are a scary team and losing Fat Al will hurt them but I don't see it hurting them that much.

Brent
08-20-2009, 01:54 AM
Collins still got it!

wogitalia
08-20-2009, 01:57 AM
Cant go against the Colts here.

All 3 teams will give them a hell of a challenge though, very strong division.

yodabear
08-20-2009, 01:59 AM
Gimme the Titans here, giving the Texans a wild card cuz they will drink ur milkshake.

Job
08-20-2009, 06:51 AM
How is losing the head coach going to propel the creatures of habit that are the Colts into the playoffs.

Called the Titans on this one of course. They brought in a number 1 receiver in the draft, held onto their game manager QB, CJ is back after a year of seasoning, LenDale has frickin lost weight and kept it off, O-line is one of the best in the league. D-Line got hurt with the loss of Fat Al, but a lot of people feel that Jason Jones will fill in nicely. LB core and secondary remain the same, and I predict Griffin and Hope will be one of the best safety duos, if not the best in the league

I've thought for years that Dungy was actually hindering the defense and that his departure would mean an upgrade over there. Caldwell already did put a little more emphasis on the DT position, getting Ed Johnson back and drafting Fili Moala, which is sure to help at least a bit their horrendous run D, which is the biggest flaw this team has had for years.

JFLO
08-20-2009, 07:15 AM
I took the Titans, even though I think it will be a down year for them and the Colts.

I have the Texans winning a wildcard spot.

tjsunstein
08-20-2009, 08:45 AM
Hm, a lot of people like the Texans chances here but I don't think their defense can be playoff team quality. I like their front seven but they need help bad in that secondary. Give me the Colts with Tennessee going 8-8.

Brent
08-20-2009, 10:08 AM
Hm, a lot of people like the Texans chances here but I don't think their defense can be playoff team quality. I like their front seven but they need help bad in that secondary. Give me the Colts with Tennessee going 8-8.
every one thought the Texans were going ot be in the playoffs last year.

drowe
08-20-2009, 11:58 AM
gah. i legitimatly think the texans are the best team in the division right now....ish. titans and colts have glaring weaknesses that may or may not have been addressed. i like the texans as a complete team...if healthy. and that's about the biggest "if" you'll ever see.

falloutboy14
08-20-2009, 12:12 PM
every one thought the Texans were going ot be in the playoffs last year.

And the year before I thought. Although the hurricane last year could have put a speed bump on them.

I went with the Colts. With the new DTs & coordinator, I anticipate them having the best D in the division. If the DTs get the job done, the Colts will have a very strong D-line. The secondary has 2 pro-bowlers and has been together for 3 years now. & with the new DTs Sanders shouldn't need to be the run-stuffer & can stay healthy. His two mostly injury free seasons have occurred when the DT position was most productive/efficient ('05 & '07). Add all of that with the offense and you have a pretty solid team.

CashmoneyDrew
08-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Falloutboy is right. People have been picking the Texans to make the playoffs like the past 3 seasons in a row. Remember when everyone always used to say the Cardinals were going to break out and finally win their division and make the playoffs? Yeah, the Texans are that new team. And I guess they'll eventually be right if they just keep choosing them.

Bucs_Rule
08-20-2009, 12:44 PM
Colts.

I just don't trust Kerry Collins.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-20-2009, 01:33 PM
I can't believe someone actually said that they choose the Texans because the Titans and Colts have "glaring weaknesses". The Texans have all kinds of weaknesses. The Titans are the best team in that division

Geo
08-20-2009, 01:45 PM
Falloutboy is right. People have been picking the Texans to make the playoffs like the past 3 seasons in a row. Remember when everyone always used to say the Cardinals were going to break out and finally win their division and make the playoffs? Yeah, the Texans are that new team. And I guess they'll eventually be right if they just keep choosing them.

The Texans quarterback is better than he's ever been.
The Texans runningback is better than he's ever been.
The Texans offensive line is better than it's ever been.
The Texans wide receivers are better than they've ever been.
The Texans tight ends are better than they've ever been.
The Texans offensive coordinator is better than he's ever been.

The Texans defensive line is better than it's ever been.
The Texans linebackers are better than they've ever been.
The Texans secondary ... well they still aren't that great, but the safety play is improved from where it used to be.

And the Texans kicker is decent enough.

But yeah, other than that, same old Texans.

CC.SD
08-20-2009, 02:02 PM
I am gonna go out on a limb here and say the Colts, although I think 3 playoff teams come from this division again. Sorry Jags.

Also, sorry Ravens.

CashmoneyDrew
08-20-2009, 02:47 PM

The Texans secondary ... well they still aren't that great, but the safety play is improved from where it used to be.

I'm still gonna be skeptical until they prove it on the field. I am rooting for Andre Johnson to stay fully healthy though since he's on my fantasy team. Matt Schaub's chances of staying healthy are greatly improved since Albert Haynesworth left the division. haha

Geo
08-20-2009, 03:09 PM
And he won't see Jared Allen this season either. That poor sap Schaub has taken some hits that had the defenders involved fined afterwards.

But you're right, he and Andre Johnson need to stay healthy. Johnson turned 28 last month, last year he entered the prime of his career. Schaub turned 28 two months ago, similar deal.

DoughBoy
08-20-2009, 04:32 PM

Lol better than they ever been? Thats kind of twisting it because they have never really been good. You can not sit here and tell me from what they showed last year that the QB play, D-line play, secondary play, or linebacker play was play-off caliber. Saftey play improved? Maybe, but its still one of if not the worst units in the NFL.

DoughBoy
08-20-2009, 04:40 PM
gah. i legitimatly think the texans are the best team in the division right now....ish. titans and colts have glaring weaknesses that may or may not have been addressed. i like the texans as a complete team...if healthy. and that's about the biggest "if" you'll ever see.

Glaring weaknesses? Please tell me the Titans glaring weakness? What is it Albert Haynesworth? We have 4 or 5 guys at DT that are good starters in the NFL. The WR group may or may not have a big time player of now but is much improved from last year (Kenny Britt, Nate Washington>>>>Justin Mccariens, Brandon Jones). If you name another position that we are bad at you are talking out of your ass. The Colts even have less issues than the texans. They have questions on defense but not nearly as much as the Texans when they are healthy.

datchapin
08-20-2009, 06:15 PM
Lol better than they ever been? Thats kind of twisting it because they have never really been good. You can not sit here and tell me from what they showed last year that the QB play, D-line play, secondary play, or linebacker play was play-off caliber. Saftey play improved? Maybe, but its still one of if not the worst units in the NFL.

They were good enough to beat you guys in the last game. Who was the team that put them 2 100 rush yard game on you guys? You question our defense from times past, but guess what that coach is now gone and with a new attitude our defense will be different. Also if our city hadn't been hit by a hurricane, things might have been a little different.

DoughBoy
08-20-2009, 06:28 PM
Okay let me break this down.

They were good enough to beat you guys in the last game.
Congrats, you have beat us three times since you came in the leauge. Did you honestly think you were the better team last year?
Who was the team that put them 2 100 rush yard game on you guys?
Never in my post did I question the O-line or steve slaton.
You question our defense from times past, but guess what that coach is now gone and with a new attitude our defense will be different.
Yeah, how do you know? Your linebacking crew has proved zilch outside of Demeco and the same can be said for the D-Line outside of Mario. I dont think you and I have to argue about the secondary because I think we both know it lacks talent and depth.

Also if our city hadn't been hit by a hurricane, things might have been a little different.but give me a break that is no excuse.
Yeah, ever heard of the saints? I feel for you guys but give me a break, that is no excuse.

CC.SD
08-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Snap, there is some interdivisional drama up in this thread.

OzTitan
08-20-2009, 07:08 PM
"Glaring weakness" is an over used term that often isn't applied in context to the team's actual style of play.

Is a lack of dominant WR's for a run first team really a "glaring weakness"?

Most teams have some weaknesses. It's a reality of salary cap football. Success is about how you use your strengths and hide your weaknesses more than anything else, which the Titans have done well lately.

CashmoneyDrew
08-20-2009, 07:08 PM
Snap, there is some interdivisional drama up in this thread.

I think it would be intra instead of inter since it's in the same division. Could be wrong about that though. And yes, that is all I have to contribute at this moment.

CC.SD
08-20-2009, 07:16 PM
I think it would be intra instead of inter since it's in the same division. Could be wrong about that though. And yes, that is all I have to contribute at this moment.

I may have to concede this to you, but I will wait on Sniper or Conc for confirmation. I know Hawaii has an interstate though.

TitanHope
08-20-2009, 07:49 PM
I know Hawaii has an interstate though.

It's cause we own the Pacific Ocean. Totally won that beyatch in WWII.

CashmoneyDrew
08-20-2009, 08:53 PM
I may have to concede this to you, but I will wait on Sniper or Conc for confirmation. I know Hawaii has an interstate though.

I remember when I was visiting Hawaii they explained why that was to me, but I wasn't really paying attention.

Geo
08-20-2009, 09:02 PM
You would be correct.

datchapin
08-20-2009, 09:56 PM
Congrats, you have beat us three times since you came in the leauge. Did you honestly think you were the better team last year?

Did I say that? No, just that we were good enought to beat you last time we met.

Never in my post did I question the O-line or steve slaton.

In your reply to Geo you said we were never really good. Hence you question the team as a whole.

Yeah, how do you know? Your linebacking crew has proved zilch outside of Demeco and the same can be said for the D-Line outside of Mario. I dont think you and I have to argue about the secondary because I think we both know it lacks talent and depth.

Because I watch the Texans, that's my team. Over the last few seasons the worst part of our D was the lack of aggressiveness. Due to coaching, Smith our previous D-coordinator is gone, and our new coordinator is already showing his willingness to be more aggressive. How successful is any defense that's read then go. This season that's been changed. Our secondary may not be the best, but getting pressure on the QB helps.

Yeah, ever heard of the saints? I feel for you guys but give me a break, that is no excuse.

Yeah, 3-13 I remember that. I'm not comparing us to the Saints though. Who said it was an excuse, it's a fact. The hurricane occured during the regular season. You telling me a hurricane in your town wouldn't be a hindrance to your teams performance. Matter of fact your team whooped the sh!t out of us the week after the hurricane. You telling me you think we were ready for that game? I'm not saying we would have beat you. Really though, 3 division rivals after a Hurricane. Yeah, great atmosphere to get the performance back up.

Brent
08-20-2009, 11:51 PM

Inter would me crossing division lines. Intra would be within the division.

English degree at work.

aNYtitan
08-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Did I say that? No, just that we were good enought to beat you last time we met.

Ever heard of the term "Any Given Sunday"? I mean for one sunday your team did indeed beat the Titans, but in the context of your statement it made it seem like "Yes the Texans are the better team given this sample size". The Jets also beat us last season, ending out perfect streak and decisively, could you argue that they were better then the Titans last season. Perhaps, though it could be easily refuted. I once again am going to back the Titans until the Texans or Colts can prove otherwise. They got deeper at WR, better at RB (LenDale losing weight can only be positive), one of the best OL in the league, and a great overall defense.

TitanHope
08-21-2009, 03:34 PM
The Texans offense has the potential to be the best in the division. It rides on Matt Schaub, who can't seem to stay healthy. The OL has to keep him protected, but while their run-blocking was solid, their pass-blocking has room to improve. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Duane Brown give up the most Sacks out of starting LT's last year? (It may not have been the most, but it was up there) If Matt Schaub gets hurt, and history tells us that that's a good possibility, it's now Dan Orlovsky running that offense. Matt Schaub's health and Houston's success go hand-in-hand. Because that defense, despite the quality additions made this offseason, won't win them games.

CashmoneyDrew
08-21-2009, 04:42 PM
You sure it wouldn't be Sexy Rexy instead of Orlovsky?

TitanHope
08-21-2009, 11:04 PM
You sure it wouldn't be Sexy Rexy instead of Orlovsky?

Didn't know they signed Grossman...

Still! My point remains the same! :p

Brent
08-21-2009, 11:24 PM
sexy rexy got hurt, so it is danny-boy in Houston.