PDA

View Full Version : Burress Expected to Plead Guilty in Weapons Case

NY+Giants=NYG
08-20-2009, 08:50 AM
http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/burress-expected-to-plead-guilty-in-weapons-case/

tjsunstein
08-20-2009, 08:52 AM
If the case were to go to trial and Mr. Burress were convicted of all charges — two counts of second-degree criminal possession of a weapon and one count of second-degree reckless endangerment — he could face 3 to 15 years in prison. The plea agreement still needs the approval of a State Supreme Court justice.

So what is best case scenario as to when he gets back to the football field?

NY+Giants=NYG
08-20-2009, 08:55 AM
So what is best case scenario as to when he gets back to the football field?

His career is probably done.. He gets 2 years for this since he is pleading guilty. If i am not mistaken the fool could have taken 3 months in jail and be out by now. Instead he chose to fought it, and now in the end, ended up pleading. So he is going to be out of football for 2 years, and that's 2 years more on his shelf life. I doubt he plays again, and if he does, he may be too old.

JRTPlaya21
08-20-2009, 09:27 AM
See you later Plaxico. Athletes sure can mess up a good thing.

no bare feet
08-20-2009, 09:38 AM
Will he make it out of prison alive.

cvv84
08-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Former Giants receiver Plaxico Burress pleaded guilty to felony weapons charges in a Manhattan court Thursday and received a two-year prison sentence.

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/08/20/burress-expected-to-plead-guilty-in-weapons-case/?partner=rss&emc=rss

He couldn't 'Stallworth' his way outta this one.

Brent
08-20-2009, 10:02 AM
when you have money, you dont go to the dangerous part of prison.

Seamus2602
08-20-2009, 10:16 AM

He's a 6'5", 235 man. He'll be one of the big boys in prison.

That is Plaxico's career done. He's gonna be an out of shape 34 year old when he gets out of gaol.

Gay Ork Wang
08-20-2009, 10:53 AM
Pay himself?

NY+Giants=NYG
08-20-2009, 10:57 AM

He could have and taken 3 months I think if i remember correctly. But he wanted to fight it all, and now look what happened.. 2 years.

bigbluedefense
08-20-2009, 10:58 AM
I feel bad for the guy. But he did it to himself.

The only consolation I get out of this (and its definitely wrong for me to feel this way) is he won't hurt us by signing with a competitor.

By the time he gets out, he won't be the Plax we know today.

Geo
08-20-2009, 11:00 AM
He could have and taken 3 months I think if i remember correctly. But he wanted to fight it all, and now look what happened.. 2 years.
I know, unbelievable right?

Couldn't happen to a better dumbass.

bigbluedefense
08-20-2009, 11:03 AM

Thats all speculation though. PFT reported that plea, but the DA said it was never on the table. We'll probably never know if that plea deal was real, or just fabrication leaked by Burress's attorney to put pressure on the DA's office.

S T R I N G
08-20-2009, 11:03 AM

I never heard about this. Do you have a link?

Bloomberg jumped on Burress as soon as this happened. They're trying to make an example out of him.

Giantsfan1080
08-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Doesn't NY gun law still have 3 years as the minimum for this type of incident? If that's the case then he still got off easy.

S T R I N G
08-20-2009, 11:08 AM
Doesn't NY gun law still have 3 years as the minimum for this type of incident? If that's the case then he still got off easy.

It's 3.5 years I think. He plead down to attempted criminal possession of a weapon which is why he received a lighter sentence.

bigbluedefense
08-20-2009, 11:08 AM
If I remember correctly Bob Papa said that Burress was willing to do 1 year in jail, but the DA's office wanted a minimum of 2 (this was awhile back).

So if that were the case, the supposed 3 month plea was most likely a fabrication.

Geo
08-20-2009, 11:10 AM
More like it was 6 months or 8 months or thereabouts, but I remember reading about it myself. Burress' lawyer got him a deal of a couple months of jailtime but Burress refused, with the inane idea of getting out of this with no jailtime.

And then by the time Burress finally understood that wasn't going to happen, that deal was gone.

S T R I N G
08-20-2009, 11:10 AM
If I remember correctly Bob Papa said that Burress was willing to do 1 year in jail, but the DA's office wanted a minimum of 2 (this was awhile back).

So if that were the case, the supposed 3 month plea was most likely a fabrication.

That's the story I heard. DAs wouldn't settle for anything less than 2 years. Plus you've got the political clout of Bloomberg saying minimum 3.5 years.

S T R I N G
08-20-2009, 11:11 AM
Maybe it wasn't 3 months, it might have been 6, but I remember reading about it myself. Burress' lawyer got him a deal of a couple months of jailtime but Burress refused, with the inane idea of getting out of this with no jailtime.

This sounds completely fabricated.

Geo
08-20-2009, 11:19 AM
As I said in the edited post, it might not have been 3 months.

The situation with Plax not wanting to do more than one year and the DA wanting no less than 2 years, that came out three or four months afterwards. That was the latter situation referred to, when he pissed off the DA's office not wanting to do anytime and realized he would have to.

S T R I N G
08-20-2009, 11:22 AM
As I said in the edited post, it might not have been 3 months.

The situation with Plax not wanting to do more than one year and the DA wanting no less than 2 years, that came out three or four months afterwards. That was the latter situation referred to, when he pissed off the DA's office not wanting to do anytime and realized he would have to.

Is there a source for this? Like I said, sounds fabricated.

Geo
08-20-2009, 11:23 AM
Yeah this is what PFT said: (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/04/08/tension-between-burress-brafman/)

Tension Between Burress, Brafman

Posted by Mike Florio on April 8, 2009 10:56 AM ET
Free-agent receiver Plaxico Burress and his criminal defense lawyer, Benjamin Brafman, currently aren't seeing eye to eye regarding the reluctance of Burress to accept the various plea deals that Brafman has negotiated.

In fact, we're told that Burress has rejected as many as three offers from prosecutors. Each one would have involved jail time -- with Burress released by the start of training camp.

But Burress continues to decline any offer that requires him to go to prison.

Six weeks later though and Papa is saying this to the media: (http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/backpage/archives/2009/05/papa_burress_de.html)

May 28, 2009
Bob Papa: Burress afraid of jail
By JUSTIN TERRANOVA

Giants play-by-play man Bob Papa shed some light on Plaxico Burress' legal situation on his Sirius radio show today, and it appears Burress thinks he is above the law.

"This is what I've been told and what I've heard," Papa said on the air. "They worked out something where they had it down to about a three-month jail term with actually only two months served and about 1,500 hours of community service. And I think his lawyers felt that they had a pretty good deal. He doesn't want to go to jail at all. He shot down the deal."

So if this is true -- and I cannot think of one, single reason Papa would make this up or bring it up without direct knowledge -- then Burress, who was cut by the Giants last month, would already be out of prison.

"He does not want to go to jail at all," Papa said on the air. "So now coming up in another couple of weeks we're gonna find out what's gonna happen. But my guess is that the city of New York is not gonna back off any kind of jail time."
Confirms the aforementioned 3 months right there.

Fabricate this.

bigbluedefense
08-20-2009, 11:25 AM
Wow.

So Burress really is a complete dumbass.

NY+Giants=NYG
I never heard about this. Do you have a link?

Bloomberg jumped on Burress as soon as this happened. They're trying to make an example out of him.

I tried finding it, but the beat writers make it hard because the stuff isn't archived. I remember bloomberg wanted jail time no matter what. He just didn't want Plax getting off. I could have sworn it was 3 months, and he'd be back by training camp. This was back when it happened and then got processed in the spring. But he thought he could win and said no.

I posted it on our giants BBI board so someone should respond.

S T R I N G
Yeah this is what PFT said: (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/04/08/tension-between-burress-brafman/)

Six weeks later though and Papa is saying this to the media: (http://blogs.nypost.com/sports/backpage/archives/2009/05/papa_burress_de.html)

Fabricate this.

So PFT and Bob Papa are now reliable sources? They just heard rumours and repeated them.

No, I think I'll stick with my original thought that the plea-bargain has always been 2 years.

The guilty plea ends months of haggling between Burress' attorney and the Manhattan district attorney's office. The case went to a grand jury earlier this month after negotiations broke down, apparently because District Attorney Robert Morgenthau was insistent on Burress serving at least two years in prison.

Assistant District Attorney Mark Dwyer said it is standard policy to request a two-year sentence as part of a plea bargain on such serious charges. Sentencing was set for Sept. 22.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4411373

NY+Giants=NYG
08-20-2009, 11:26 AM

Fabricate this.

That;s it! GOOD FIND! Plus rep for you for saving me the loooong process of digging it up.

Former New York Giants receiver Plaxico Burress turned down plea bargain to three-month sentence for gun possession, says report

http://www.nj.com/giants/index.ssf/2009/05/report_new_york_giants_burress_2.html

Geo
08-20-2009, 11:32 AM
No prob, bud.

Plaxico, like Vick, made it worse for himself by getting deeper into the legal situation. Although I doubt Vick's lawyer(s) were able to get as good a plea deal as Burress' did, which Plaxico turned down.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-20-2009, 11:37 AM
No prob, bud.

Plaxico, like Vick, made it worse for himself by getting deeper into the legal situation. Although I doubt Vick's lawyer(s) were able to get as good a plea deal as Burress' did, which Plaxico turned down.

I found the original blog update or report by Mike Garafolo who is one of our many beat writers.

S T R I N G
08-20-2009, 11:37 AM
No prob, bud.

So you believe PFT and some rumour Bob heard over the DA's own words?

Negotiations in the gun-possession case against ex-Giants wide receiver Plaxico Burress -- who accidentally shot himself in the leg at a Midtown nightclub last November -- fell apart earlier this year after prosecutors insisted he do two years' state time on a plea to a lesser gun charge, the DA told The Post.

http://www.nypost.com/seven/07272009/news/regionalnews/manhattan/morgy_out_to_tackle_plax_181537.htm

S T R I N G
08-20-2009, 11:40 AM
Or how about Plaxico's lawyer?

Ben Brafman, attorney for Plaxico Burress, is quoted in the Star-Ledger piece as saying "I told (Morgenthau) if they offered one year, I would discuss with Plax. They never offered it and Plax never authorized it."

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1992894/burress_attorney_plaxico_never_offered.html

NY+Giants=NYG
08-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Either way if the report is true or false, he is screwed one way or another. That's pretty much the bottom line. Plus when he gets out, he may get suspended, if Roger G. goes that route.

tjsunstein
08-20-2009, 11:45 AM
Why do they even make a minimum jail sentence if it can just be negotiated down? Stupid. I don't care what plea bargin was or wasn't on the table, if Bloomberg wanted to make an example out of him then make him serve the minimum atleast.

S T R I N G
08-20-2009, 11:47 AM
Why do they even make a minimum jail sentence if it can just be negotiated down? Stupid. I don't care what plea bargin was or wasn't on the table, if Bloomberg wanted to make an example out of him then make him serve the minimum atleast.

He plead to a different charge than what he was originally charged with. That's why he could serve less time. He can actually get out in about 20 months I believe.

It is extremely costly and time consuming to go through the whole court process which is why most cases are plea bargained. There isn't enough time/money to prosecute every criminal plus there is no guarantee of a conviction.

tjsunstein
08-20-2009, 11:51 AM
He plead to a different charge than what he was originally charged with. That's why he could serve less time. He can actually get out in about 20 months I believe.

It is extremely costly and time consuming to go through the whole court process which is why most cases are plea bargained. There isn't enough time/money to prosecute every criminal plus there is no guarantee of a conviction.

I get that part but Bloomberg made such a strong statement towards this type of crime when Burress was arrested. You would think with someone who talked so much about making a statement out of this case would actually follow through with the whole process. Burress wasn't made into the slightest example here. Just my take, though.

S T R I N G
08-20-2009, 11:52 AM
I get that part but Bloomberg made such a strong statement towards this type of crime when Burress was arrested. You would think with someone who talked so much about making a statement out of this case would actually follow through with the whole process. Burress wasn't made into the slightest example here. Just my take, though.

Well Bloomberg is the mayor, not the DA. He technically cannot tell the DAs what to do as far as I know. He was likely just saying what he did to score political points.

It sounds like the DAs did what was standard in cases like this. I see what you're saying, but it wouldn't be fair to make an example out of Burress just because he is a public figure.

Geo
08-20-2009, 11:59 AM
Either way if the report is true or false, he is screwed one way or another. That's pretty much the bottom line. Plus when he gets out, he may get suspended, if Roger G. goes that route.
Definitely agreed. Even if he's not suspended, 34 years old when he's out and two years in prison away from the game - this in all likelihood seals his pro career.

Bucs_Rule
08-20-2009, 12:50 PM
Bloomberg would have responded just as forcefully if he was asked about anyone committing that type of offense. He just happens to only get asked when its a very well-known person.

aNYtitan
08-20-2009, 12:51 PM
Damn 2 years for it, I like that his lawyer keeps saying that it was a legal firearm he had, yet he will go to jail for 2 years

the decider13
08-20-2009, 01:00 PM
Damn 2 years for it, I like that his lawyer keeps saying that it was a legal firearm he had, yet he will go to jail for 2 years

His permit was expired and NY has a law against any concealed firearm even if it is licensed.

Stash
08-20-2009, 01:28 PM
Kinda odd that Stallworth kills a guy and gets a few months while Plax shoots his own leg and gets 2 years.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-20-2009, 01:43 PM
Kinda odd that Stallworth kills a guy and gets a few months while Plax shoots his own leg and gets 2 years.

Can't compare the two things.. Different laws and different state.

S T R I N G
08-20-2009, 01:50 PM

The justice system isn't about justice. ;)

CC.SD
08-20-2009, 01:52 PM

Definitely my first thought. It's only odd if anything makes sense to begin with.

Hawk
08-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Vick kills dogs, received 19 months

Burress shoots him self in leg, receives 24 months

Leonard Little kills someone while driving drunk, receives 90 days

Stallworth also kills someone while driving drunk, receives 30 days

ah, the beauty of the justice system.

dabears10
08-20-2009, 03:13 PM
Vick kills dogs, received 19 months

Burress shoots him self in leg, receives 24 months

Leonard Little kills someone while driving drunk, receives 90 days

Stallworth also kills someone while driving drunk, receives 30 days

ah, the beauty of the justice system.

Just depends where you do it.

Geo
08-20-2009, 03:18 PM
Burress shoots him self in leg, receives 24 months.
There's more to it than that. He took a loaded weapon, not registered in New York, into a public setting. A club, full of innocent bystanders. Not only that, but then he fired that gun.

Thankfully the only one hurt is the one who deserved it.

CashmoneyDrew
08-20-2009, 03:18 PM
I didn't really follow the Vick situation as much as others but didn't his jail time stem more from tax evasion and gambling more so than the dog fighting itself?

skinzzfan25
08-20-2009, 03:20 PM
There's more to it than that. He took a loaded weapon, not registered in New York, into a public setting. A club, full of innocent bystanders. Not only that, but then he fired that gun.

Thankfully the only one hurt is the one who deserved it.

Very much so. I love him as a player but really the only person he can blame here is himself.

aNYtitan
08-21-2009, 12:04 AM
His permit was expired and NY has a law against any concealed firearm even if it is licensed.

I know, which is why I was amused and outraged that his lawyer kept calling it a legal firearm, cause if it was, he would have a defense in his case.