PDA

View Full Version : Expect more Penalties in 2009

BeerBaron
08-21-2009, 01:42 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/21/pereira-says-offensive-holding-calls-will-rise/

Especially Holding calls says NFL VP of Officiating Mike Pereira.

There were the fewest penalties last year in over 15 seasons before that.

Not something you usually think about, penalty stats with officials...I thought it was interesting.

Brent
08-21-2009, 02:35 PM
Not something you usually think about, penalty stats with officials.
Mark Cuban used to keep track of officials in the NBA and then share their stats and etc on his blog, detailing who was going to be at that night's Mavs game.

Smooth Criminal
08-21-2009, 02:49 PM
Hopefully they call more holding. I couldn't believe how consitently teams got away with holding James Harrison.

TitanHope
08-21-2009, 03:04 PM
Hopefully they call more holding. I couldn't believe how consitently teams got away with holding James Harrison.

Yup, definitely benefits the teams with great pass-rushing defenses.

I'm expecting to see more Roughing the Passer/Unneccessary Roughness penalties called too. To the point that some calls will be so bogus, it'll become an issue.

marshallb
08-21-2009, 03:32 PM
Yup, definitely benefits the teams with great pass-rushing defenses.

I'm expecting to see more Roughing the Passer/Unneccessary Roughness penalties called too. To the point that some calls will be so bogus, it'll become an issue.

I do think they need to call more holding penalties. There were numerous times last year where Jared Allen would get held and nothing would get called, but I also saw numerous times where Ryan Cook should have gotten called for a hold but didn't.

I def. agree with you on the RtP and UR penalties, especially RtP.

nfrillman
08-21-2009, 05:52 PM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/21/pereira-says-offensive-holding-calls-will-rise/

Especially Holding calls says NFL VP of Officiating Mike Pereira.

There were the fewest penalties last year in over 15 seasons before that.

Not something you usually think about, penalty stats with officials...I thought it was interesting.

Thank God, I know last year I was getting mad watching games I had no rooting interest in. Just sitting there watching the game and seeing some lineman tackle their guy with no flag and saying, "What the hell are the officials watching!?! This is ridiculous." Then of course when it happened to the Rams it made me even more angry. Now I just hope they actually follow through on this.

themaninblack
08-21-2009, 08:18 PM
I hope they aren't going to be making calls for offensive pass interference like the one they made on Jerome Simpson last night. That was horrendous.

P-L
08-21-2009, 08:43 PM
I hope they do call more holding penalties because reading people cry on this board when their star pass-rusher was held got unbearable last year.

Brent
08-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I hope they do call more holding penalties because reading people cry on this board when their star pass-rusher was held got unbearable last year.
does Detroit have a star pass rusher? ;)

Vox Populi
08-23-2009, 07:02 PM
does Detroit have a star pass rusher? ;)

Cliff Avril will devour the quarterback within all of us.

General Zod
08-23-2009, 07:22 PM
but I also saw numerous times where Ryan Cook should have gotten called for a hold but didn't.

I agree completly, Ryan Cook blows.

BlindSite
08-23-2009, 07:32 PM

I'm sure you find complaints annoying but having a defense predicated on a four man rush isn't easy to watch when refs all but completely ignore holding.

Mr. Stiller
08-23-2009, 09:29 PM
It's times where they decide to call holding more often that I'll miss seeing Khalif Barnes.