PDA

View Full Version : The scoreboard in Dallas

cvv84
08-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Is going to be an issue all season long. The Titans punter just hit the scoreboard and they were showing pregame footage earlier of them hitting it while warming up before the start of the game. Ruling was a re-punt.

Punting is going to be an issue big time there because punters can't get the hangtime without hitting the scoreboard. There is going is going to be more line drive punts leading to bigger returns, I can see it now.

Paul
08-21-2009, 09:14 PM
Homefield advantage since Mcbriar will just punt it over the screen.

Strongside
08-21-2009, 09:16 PM
I have one thing to say about this. LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLL.

Ness
08-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Can't they just raise it like they did with the Louisiana Superdome? I'd be really surprised if the architects made this obvious of an error.

Splat
08-21-2009, 09:18 PM
Dustin Colquitt would break it.

TitansCJftw
08-21-2009, 09:27 PM
I have one thing to say about this. LOLOLOLOLLOLOLOLL.

X2!!!!! AHAHAHAHAH:eek:

ThePudge
08-21-2009, 09:34 PM
hahahaha Nice job Dallas. Maybe this will lead to a unique stadium experience in which 4th Down conversions are both more crucial and more commonly attempted.

scottyboy
08-21-2009, 09:35 PM
Jeff Feagles' punts will curve around it and continue to hit the exact blade of grass/turf he was aiming for.

or his punt will turn ghost like and just pass through the score board to said piece of turf Feagles was aiming for. So I'm not worried.

but it is incredibly stupid though

DeepThreat
08-21-2009, 10:00 PM
If and when the Browns play there, we won't have to punt, so I'm not worried.

Brent
08-21-2009, 10:47 PM
Can't they just raise it like they did with the Louisiana Superdome? I'd be really surprised if the architects made this obvious of an error.
there is not a mechanism to raise it and lower it.

CashmoneyDrew
08-22-2009, 12:12 AM
I'd be scared to play under that thing.

themaninblack
08-22-2009, 12:21 AM
So we now have two recently built high profile stadiums(Cowboys and Yankees) with design problems? Seems like something that should have been considered in both cases.

Smooth Criminal
08-22-2009, 12:24 AM
If I was a coach I'd have my punter hit it 10 or so times in a row. That would embarass Jones enough.

aNYtitan
08-22-2009, 12:31 AM

I love it, they spend $1.2 billion on this stadium, yet like the 31 other teams, they have a screen that impedes the play of the game. Great job HKS!
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pub/images/epic_fail.jpg

General Zod
08-22-2009, 01:13 AM
Jerry Jones will find some way to make money off this flaw.

RaiderNation
08-22-2009, 03:02 AM
Can see it now... Thanksgiving day.... Lechler punts it and puts a fat crack in the screen. Id love it

WMD
08-22-2009, 03:32 AM
Looks like the NFL is turning towards an MLB style for their stadiums. Dallas' place is apparently not a "Punters Stadium".

Ness
08-22-2009, 05:00 AM
I heard the screen has been lowered due to a concert by U2 in October? Can they not raise it back up now and then lower it again later?

wicket
08-22-2009, 06:13 AM
If I was a coach I'd have my punter hit it 10 or so times in a row. That would embarass Jones enough.

yeah this!!

JFLO
08-22-2009, 07:50 AM
I would have loved to hear the conversation between the building planners on this issue.

"How about we put a massive scoreboard right in the middle of the dome, that way everyone can get a good look at the game!"

"What about punts?"

"...what the hell is a punt?"---Jerry Jones

Calvin & Kevin
08-22-2009, 08:37 AM
That thing's a damn eyesore. Imagine sitting anywhere but the lowest level of that stadium - the thing's like six stories tall for God's sake, it totally draws the eye away from the action and makes the game seem like an afterthought. I go to football games to see guys play football, not to watch the world's biggest HDTV. Jones is an egomaniac dummy.

wicket
08-22-2009, 08:56 AM
I would have loved to hear the conversation between the building planners on this issue.

"How about we put a massive scoreboard right in the middle of the dome, that way everyone can get a good look at the game!"

"What about punts?"

"my cowboys don't punt!"---Jerry Jones

slight variation

Beans
08-22-2009, 09:49 AM
I'd be scared to play under that thing.

this this this

Go_Eagles77
08-22-2009, 10:03 AM
Is there a video of this somewhere?

M.O.T.H.
08-22-2009, 10:30 AM
this this this

For a while, my biggest fear was that thing falling for one reason or another. The thought would be in the back of my mind while I was playing under it...atleast the first few times.

General Zod
08-22-2009, 10:42 AM
Jerry Jones is blaming the punter for aiming at the scoreboard. lol

Hilarious.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/08/jerry-jones-the-scoreboard-isnt-budging.html

Go_Eagles77
08-22-2009, 10:45 AM
I like how it's the same punter that had the huge play in the HOF game, he's the star of the preseason lol.

CC.SD
08-22-2009, 10:55 AM
A ball is going to get stuck. This is the stupidest thing I've ever read.

wicket
08-22-2009, 10:58 AM
I like how it's the same punter that had the huge play in the HOF game, he's the star of the preseason lol.

who would have thought that

LizardState
08-22-2009, 11:00 AM
So we now have two recently built high profile stadiums(Cowboys and Yankees) with design problems? Seems like something that should have been considered in both cases.

They're called specifications. They are put in place for a reason. Should that be investigated? I think so.

And remember, some inspector signed off on the design too.

cvv84
08-22-2009, 11:13 AM
They're called specifications. They are put in place for a reason. Should that be investigated? I think so.

And remember, some inspector signed off on the design too.

Inspections have nothing to do with this. I work in construction and this is just another case of aesthetics. Some architect somewhere designed this screen so that it would be in line with the upper tiers of the stadium. The screen is roughly 90 feet so that eliminates kickoffs and passing. But nobody took into effect the hangtime that punters try to acheive.

And as far as I know this is the only current stadium with a mega-screen over the playing field. I doubt the NFL has any specifications for such an object when teams are building a new stadium.

Edit: I stant semi-corrected:

Also, Jones will point out that the league approved the stadium design, and that the league knew all along the 240-foot board would be hanging 90 feet over the playing surface.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/22/source-do-over-not-a-realistic-solution-in-dallas-2/

GB12
08-22-2009, 12:08 PM
I think it'd be great if it becomes a continuous problem and the league makes them remove the screen.

aNYtitan
08-22-2009, 12:16 PM

There really is no design problem at Yankee Stadium, its a replica of the old one. The only issue that has occurred is that wind currents cause a jet stream to blow out into right field, thus giving us an exorbitant amount of HR's.

Bucs_Rule
08-22-2009, 12:18 PM
Cowboys should get a delayed of game penalty every time the opponent hits it. When they hit it they get the penalty.

cvv84
08-22-2009, 12:57 PM
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones sounded defiant, and a little defensive, when asked if he would need to move the team's 160-foot long scoreboard after Titans punter A.J. Trapasso hit it during Friday night's game.

Time will tell if Jones needs to move the scoreboard, but ESPN's Chris Mortensen reported Saturday that the league's competition committee is concerned enough to discuss the issue. Immediately.

The group, co-chaired by Titans coach Jeff Fisher, will get on a conference call this week to talk about the particulars involving the scoreboard. Right now, for instance, hitting the scoreboard isn't subject to replay review. (Fisher threw his challenge flag to get referee Walt Anderson's attention Friday because the officials didn't see the ball hit the scoreboard.)

Mort says the issue was on the committee's radar before Friday, as they spoke about it a few weeks ago. Mortensen expects some clarification about the issue early in the week.

Meanwhile, Jones can't be in a good mood. It's the morning after he debuted his $1.2 billion football cathedral, and all anyone is talking about is what goes wrong when you look up towards its ceiling.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/22/competition-committee-will-discuss-cowboys-scoreboard/

Xonraider
08-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Is there a video of this somewhere?

Anyone? I'd love to see this.

Go_Eagles77
08-22-2009, 01:34 PM
Anyone? I'd love to see this.
I found it on youtube.

EIRhw9qAoRo

Xonraider
08-22-2009, 02:03 PM
I found it on youtube.

EIRhw9qAoRo

this is awesome

YAYareaRB
08-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Andy Lee will bring that **** down.

themaninblack
08-22-2009, 02:32 PM
There really is no design problem at Yankee Stadium, its a replica of the old one. The only issue that has occurred is that wind currents cause a jet stream to blow out into right field, thus giving us an exorbitant amount of HR's.

True, but it still seems like something that should have been taken into consideration.

JFLO
08-22-2009, 02:49 PM

And a former Buckeye, just thought I would add that tidbit...

Shane P. Hallam
08-23-2009, 08:19 AM
If and when the Browns play there, we won't have to punt, so I'm not worried.

You are going to have that many turnovers?

Anyway, I'm sure there is a fix, but this is very funny.

Nalej
08-23-2009, 08:27 AM
ESPNEWS reported that JJ is not going to move his scoreboard. It cost him 25 million dollars.

WOW @ price

Shane P. Hallam
08-23-2009, 08:47 AM
Haha. AJ Trapasso is so awesome.

aNYtitan
08-23-2009, 12:51 PM
ESPNEWS reported that JJ is not going to move his scoreboard. It cost him 25 million dollars.

WOW @ price

The scoreboard is beautiful, a technological advancement for sporting venues. Its still horribly placed though

Burns336
08-23-2009, 12:59 PM
I still have to ask the question...

Why would anyone punt down the middle of the field?

Cowboys punter Mat McBriar said the only instance in which he would hit the screen would be a shank because he, and any other punter, are aiming towards one of the sidelines.

Traposo just sucks.

Gay Ork Wang
08-23-2009, 01:01 PM
I still have to ask the question...

Why would anyone punt down the middle of the field?

Cowboys punter Mat McBriar said the only instance in which he would hit the screen would be a shank because he, and any other punter, are aiming towards one of the sidelines.

Traposo just sucks.
if u try to hit it as far as u can u try to not worry about the sidelines

ShutDwn
08-23-2009, 01:01 PM
That isn't a homefield advantage, it is just a nuisance.

Burns336
08-23-2009, 01:04 PM
if u try to hit it as far as u can u try to not worry about the sidelines

No one just tries to punt as far as they can....

Plenty of punters can punt the ball much further than they actually do. The point is for them to not give the return man a running start and unlimited running space (which the returner would have if he received the ball in the middle of the field)

Instead, they try to give the coverage unit enough time to get to the return man, while pinning him near the sideline (effectively giving him only 1 direction to run; away from the sideline)

it's not just a case of "let me boot this thing as far as I can"

Gay Ork Wang
08-23-2009, 01:11 PM
No one just tries to punt as far as they can....

Plenty of punters can punt the ball much further than they actually do. The point is for them to not give the return man a running start and unlimited running space (which the returner would have if he received the ball in the middle of the field)

Instead, they try to give the coverage unit enough time to get to the return man, while pinning him near the sideline (effectively giving him only 1 direction to run; away from the sideline)

it's not just a case of "let me boot this thing as far as I can"
yea, idk where that brain fart came from, but they try to kick it as far as they can while giving it a great hangtime so that the coverage can get there. Great hangtime = high punt. I doensnt really matter though why they hit it, the fact that u can hit it is a travesty

iowatreat54
08-23-2009, 01:27 PM
Yes, this is much more of a problem with the scoreboard placement than it is that the punter hit it. It's not so much that the punter might not be great, but the fact that it can be hit. No punter is perfect, so even that one time a season that they do hit the scoreboard is enough to say it's a terrible layout.

u8pp
08-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Me thinks Jerra might be overcompensating for something else of his that isn't very big...

CJSchneider
08-23-2009, 04:35 PM
I love it. Anything that pisses Jerry Jones off is awesome.

dpl85
08-28-2009, 10:23 AM
Jerry's board isn't moving at least not until Bono comes to Arlington.

http://startelegramsports.typepad.com/cowboys/2009/08/nfl-dishes-out-new-rules-for-video-board.html

http://www.star-telegram.com/528/story/1566941.html

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/082909dnsponflcowboys.124a4f032.html

It seems to indicate this could be revisited after this season to possibly change the 85 foot league specification.

tjsunstein
08-28-2009, 10:24 AM
In all fairness to Jerry, he put it higher than the league asked him to and it still became an obstacle.

bigmac076
08-28-2009, 12:32 PM
I love how this is such a hot topic. If he isn't required to move it per NFL regulations, then he doesn't need to move it. Its as simple as that. People love to get on Jones' case whenever possible, but he has done nothing wrong, and everyone and their mom want to throw him under the bus becuase of this. Im not Jerry Jones' biggest fan at all, I think he is the embodiment of "stuck-up white-collar". Also Cowboys' play-by-play man Brad Sham (who has been doing his job for over 30 years) said AS SOON as the ball left Trapasso's foot that the punt looked like it would be quite short(because of how vertical it was) and speculated right on the spot that he was trying to hit the scoreboard. Now lets hear your thoughts on that, and don't tell me "Oh well Sham IS the COWBOYS play-by-play man so OF COURSE he would say that!" Give me a better reason than that.

Forenci
08-28-2009, 12:54 PM
I love how this is such a hot topic. If he isn't required to move it per NFL regulations, then he doesn't need to move it. Its as simple as that. People love to get on Jones' case whenever possible, but he has done nothing wrong, and everyone and their mom want to throw him under the bus becuase of this. Im not Jerry Jones' biggest fan at all, I think he is the embodiment of "stuck-up white-collar". Also Cowboys' play-by-play man Brad Sham (who has been doing his job for over 30 years) said AS SOON as the ball left Trapasso's foot that the punt looked like it would be quite short(because of how vertical it was) and speculated right on the spot that he was trying to hit the scoreboard. Now lets hear your thoughts on that, and don't tell me "Oh well Sham IS the COWBOYS play-by-play man so OF COURSE he would say that!" Give me a better reason than that.

Uh, if I remember correctly during the pre-game they said BOTH punters were hitting the scoreboard before the game with regularity on the Fox broadcast.

And yeah, it kind of is a sham to take anything the play by play man from the home team says seriously, regardless of who it is or what team he is broadcasting for. Pretty much all pre-season broadcasters are homers because thats what they're paid to do.

Paul
08-28-2009, 01:03 PM
Uh, if I remember correctly during the pre-game they said BOTH punters were hitting the scoreboard before the game with regularity on the Fox broadcast.

That's because they were aiming for it. It's not like they were taking real ingame punts during the warm ups. They were having a game of tag the video screen.

Forenci
08-28-2009, 01:05 PM
That's because they were aiming for it. It's not like they were taking real ingame punts during the warm ups. They were having a game of tag the video screen.

Were they? I don't remember if they showed them actually punting so I can't say. Nonetheless, if both punters can hit it with regularity in pre-game warm ups I would say that there are still going to be plenty of instances when a punter isn't trying to drill it and it does happen.

703SKINS202
08-28-2009, 02:02 PM
The NFL has ruled that the down will be replayed and clock will be reset if a football hits the massive video display board that hangs over the field at Cowboys Stadium.
Perhaps the key piece of the ruling, issued Friday morning, is that it is only for this season. The league can review it after the season.
By setting the video boards 90 feet above the field, the Cowboys cleared the current league standard by 5 feet. But this action indicates the 85-foot rule might be re-examined in the offseason, which could force the first major renovation to the $1.15 billion stadium.

This could work to some punters advantage. If I were a punter and I was getting rushed, I would just kick it straight at the screen if possible and then just replay the down and hope my blocking or snap is better the next time. Also couldn't a qb pretty much throw the ball at the screen and not get called for intentional grounding? I see more problems ahead with this, should be interesting.

LonghornsLegend
08-28-2009, 02:23 PM
This is the leagues fault, not Jerry's. I think they realized 85 feet, or even 90 isn't high enough. Personally I think if it can be raised it should, as long as people realize who is at fault here. Can't blame Jerry when he went over what they told him to place it at.

I don't think they have worked out little things like what if their was a penalty prior to it hitting the screen, holding, running into the punter etc etc, lots of minor details.

iowatreat54
08-28-2009, 03:33 PM
Caleb Hanie and Jay Cutler have discussed in practice whether or not Jay could hit the scoreboard throwing.

Unfortunately, Bears don't play @ Dallas this year, but there's always the playoffs.

Splat
08-28-2009, 03:36 PM
Caleb Hanie and Jay Cutler have discussed in practice whether or not Jay could hit the scoreboard throwing.

O didn't you know Jay Cutler can hit it the Dallas video screen form Chicago on his knees with the wind blowing.

iowatreat54
08-28-2009, 03:38 PM
O didn't you know Jay Cutler can hit it form Chicago on his knees with the wind blowing.

Wind is not necessary. In fact, he will wait until the wind is blowing in to attempt it.

Happy Jay Cutler Day all!

bigbluedefense
08-28-2009, 03:54 PM
the do over rule is so flawed.

what if its 4th down with 2 minutes left on the 50. and you have to convert to keep that drive going to win the game.

qb in shotgun hikes the ball, sees a ton of guys about to sack him so the play is about to end, and instead of throwing up a prayer, aims for the scoreboard and hits it for a do over.

Now they get a 2nd chance on 4th down.

I think this rule is very flawed.

Splat
08-28-2009, 03:56 PM
I agree the rule is flawed but on paper Dallas didn't break any rules so it is what it is I'm sure the rule will be tweaked some.

bigbluedefense
08-28-2009, 03:57 PM
this isn't dallas's fault. the league dropped the ball on this one.

wicket
08-28-2009, 03:58 PM
the do over rule is so flawed.

what if its 4th down with 2 minutes left on the 50. and you have to convert to keep that drive going to win the game.

qb in shotgun hikes the ball, sees a ton of guys about to sack him so the play is about to end, and instead of throwing up a prayer, aims for the scoreboard and hits it for a do over.

Now they get a 2nd chance on 4th down.

I think this rule is very flawed.

no way that a qb can make that scoreboard, it does work with fake punts prolly.

bigbluedefense
08-28-2009, 03:59 PM

Jay Cutler would give it an extra asshole.

Then he'd flex his muscles, and all the women in the stadium would faint.

bigmac076
08-28-2009, 04:02 PM
This is the leagues fault, not Jerry's. I think they realized 85 feet, or even 90 isn't high enough. Personally I think if it can be raised it should, as long as people realize who is at fault here. Can't blame Jerry when he went over what they told him to place it at.

I don't think they have worked out little things like what if their was a penalty prior to it hitting the screen, holding, running into the punter etc etc, lots of minor details.

Im not sure if he talked with the league beforehand or not. I heard reports of Jerry using surveyors during last preseason at the Alamodome. Jones supposedly asked Mat McBriar to punt a bunch of balls for the surveyors so they could see how high the videoboard would need to be placed. Thats what I heard on one of the radio shows on the Cowboys' website.

CC.SD
08-28-2009, 04:03 PM
Jay Cutler would give it an extra asshole.

Then he'd flex his muscles, and all the women in the stadium would faint.

I'd like to see Cutler and Orton in a drinking contest a la Marianne's intro in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

dabears10
08-28-2009, 04:51 PM
I'd like to see Cutler and Orton in a drinking contest a la Marianne's intro in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Orton wins hands down. The man does not have the diabeetus so it is not a fair fight. However, Sexy Rexy vs Cutler in a wetting panties contest would be a different discussion.

wicket
08-28-2009, 04:56 PM
Orton wins hands down. The man does not have the diabeetus so it is not a fair fight. However, Sexy Rexy vs Cutler in a wetting panties contest would be a different discussion.

drinking game, alex boone is in

Splat
08-29-2009, 06:13 PM
49ers P Lee also hits Cowboys video boards (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cowboys-videoboards&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Malaka
08-29-2009, 06:15 PM
49ers P Lee also hits Cowboys video boards (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-cowboys-videoboards&prov=ap&type=lgns)

This is definitely gonna be a big problem for Jerry Jones, the NFL may have to forcibly make Jones elevate the video boards, twice in the preseason... this will happen many many more times in the regular season.

Saints-Tigers
08-29-2009, 06:19 PM
This is dumb, just move it, damn.

Do overs? Penalize them every time it gets hit, they'll get the picture and move it.

M.O.T.H.
08-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Andy Lee was hitting it while warming up.

edit...well he hit it once and the others werent close, apparently.

Brent
08-30-2009, 12:26 AM
"Only one of Andy Lee's pre-game punts hit Jerry Jones' video screen, but the ball was still rising fast when it struck ... Lee was at his 15"
-Matt Barrows, Niners beat writer

GB12
08-30-2009, 12:42 AM
90ft=30 yards. A good QB can definitely throw a ball up 30 yards.

bigmac076
08-30-2009, 12:47 AM
http://www.mercurynews.com/raiders/ci_13203986

49ers punter Andy Lee insisted Tuesday that he would not treat the Dallas Cowboys' video scoreboard like a 2,100-inch bull's-eye.
Really.
Honestly.
"Don't lie. You want to break it," kicker Joe Nedney yelled, eavesdropping on Lee's testimony. The 49ers play on Saturday at new Cowboys Stadium.

Lee said he saw Trapasso's bank shot last week. But he said the focus will be on the game rather than the implicit double-dare.

"It's something you can't worry about," Lee said. "You have to go out there and not change anything. Otherwise you might start messing things up. I'm trying to get ready for the regular season."

Lee, who made the Pro Bowl in 2007, has a career average of 44.4. He said the only time he ever hit anything was the low roof at the University of Pittsburgh practice facility.

So, really "... he's not tempted at all by the Dallas scoreboard? "Maybe in warm-ups," Lee said with a smile.