PDA

View Full Version : Ravens to run 4-3 more then 3-4

The Legend
08-24-2009, 10:03 AM
http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/ravens/bal-sp.ravens24aug24,0,2968854.story

The Ravens played strictly a 4-3 defense (four down linemen and three linebackers) in the preseason opener, and linebacker Ray Lewis suggested this could be the base defensive alignment this season.

This would be a surprising change for the Ravens, who went with a 3-4 defense over the past seven seasons (including four with Ryan as coordinator). The last time the Ravens used a 4-3 as their primary alignment was 2001.

"It's going to be exciting," Lewis said. "It's not like the guys don't like it. All of the guys freakin' love it. That's what's so beautiful about it.

PACKmanN
08-24-2009, 10:06 AM
I think with the loses in the front 7 they need to switch it to the 4-3. Plus imagine a d-line of Suggs, Nagta, Gregg, and Pryce.

thenewfeature06
08-24-2009, 10:08 AM
I think with the loses in the front 7 they need to switch it to the 4-3. Plus imagine a d-line of Suggs, Nagta, Gregg, and Pryce.

Thats gotta be up there with the vikes d line

The Legend
08-24-2009, 10:11 AM
what do you think is going to happen to the rookie? or johnson and barnes will they stay at linebacker?

thenewfeature06
08-24-2009, 10:18 AM
i think kruger will stay at de and then johnson and barnes will play the olbs

coordinator0
08-24-2009, 11:16 AM
Barnes won't be a starter. I f we do in fact play more 4-3 fronts this year I expect Lewis to man the middle with Gooden and Johnson on the outside. Kruger will be molded into a LDE (which is better for him IMO anyways). However I do worry about what kind of pass-rush we will be able o get from our line if it is (and most likely wold be) Suggs, Ngata, Gregg, and Pryce. I guess I'm just mainly worried about Pryce still being able to get a pass-rush from the outside.

America
08-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Even if it is the "base D", it really shouldn't make a difference anyway. Mattison will throw in a bunch of the same packages to keep the offense guessing. Suggs could always just pick his hand up, and then there's a 34 front.

And since it's preseason, Mattison said he wasn't going to do anything special, just keep a base defense. 43 is as base as it gets so maybe this "suggestion" is just a temporary thing.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-24-2009, 11:34 AM
I would be happy with Suggs/Ngata/Gregg/Pryce on the line and Ray/Goodon/Johnson as the LB's

dcarey20
08-24-2009, 11:57 AM
Not too surprising considering Gregg is back and Bannan was far too good last season to decrease his role. Both of those guys clogging the middle should do wonders for our linebackers.

With that said, we've also got an abundance of capable linebackers, so I wouldn't expect the 4-3 to be the only look you'll see. I still think Mattison will show alot of different looks much like Rex did. There's far too much depth and talent at linebacker for him not to.

Ravens1991
08-24-2009, 12:18 PM
I agree w/ Dcarey we still will shake things up a bit and have surprises for the teams like Rex had.

But I figured this would happen because Gooden is better suited for a 4-3 OLB and w/ Ray losing 15 pounds I thought we might do it.

trkaline
08-24-2009, 12:36 PM
With our versitility we can pretty much run any scheme we damn well please, I can't wait to see our D in the regular season.

EdReedUnstoppable
08-24-2009, 01:57 PM
To me this really isn't much of a change. Yes we used a 3-4 base, but if you look at the game tape our D has always been all over the place. We've run 4-3/3-4/46/cover 2 and combinations of those in every game we've played since I can remember. Thats why we have so many versatile players, because thats what our defense has been, and will continue to be.

However if we did run a straight up 4-3 defense our DL would be Suggs, and Pryce on the ends and a rotation of Ngata/Gregg/Bannan/McKinley/Edwards in the middle and thats an insanely talented DLine. I think Kruger would be the main DE backup, the LBs would be Ray inside, and combos of TGood/Johnson/Barnes/McClain outside, which is also pretty dam talented.

BmoreBlackByrdz
08-27-2009, 10:07 AM
To me this really isn't much of a change. Yes we used a 3-4 base, but if you look at the game tape our D has always been all over the place. We've run 4-3/3-4/46/cover 2 and combinations of those in every game we've played since I can remember. Thats why we have so many versatile players, because thats what our defense has been, and will continue to be.

However if we did run a straight up 4-3 defense our DL would be Suggs, and Pryce on the ends and a rotation of Ngata/Gregg/Bannan/McKinley/Edwards in the middle and thats an insanely talented DLine. I think Kruger would be the main DE backup, the LBs would be Ray inside, and combos of TGood/Johnson/Barnes/McClain outside, which is also pretty dam talented.

well put, the only problem I have if they run a straight up 4-3 base, is that I think the pass rush will suffer, I doubt Pryce is an ideal 4-3 DE at his age, I think he'd be better at DT in a 4-3. If they do go with a 4-3, I'd rather Kruger be in there, or at least someone who can generate a better pass rush that Pryce.(not to take anything away from Pryce)

EdReedUnstoppable
08-28-2009, 11:07 AM
well put, the only problem I have if they run a straight up 4-3 base, is that I think the pass rush will suffer, I doubt Pryce is an ideal 4-3 DE at his age, I think he'd be better at DT in a 4-3. If they do go with a 4-3, I'd rather Kruger be in there, or at least someone who can generate a better pass rush that Pryce.(not to take anything away from Pryce)

I gotta slightly disagree, because if you watch Paul Kruger OT's devour him and shut him down with ease. He's really not gonna provide any pass rush at all from a DE position. He needs to be an OLB so that he has to beat a TE, or a FB or a RB, because he cannot beat tackles in the NFL. Pryce is not ideal 4-3 DE, but even at his age he gives us much more pass rush at 4-3 DE than Kruger does.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-28-2009, 11:15 AM
I gotta slightly disagree, because if you watch Paul Kruger OT's devour him and shut him down with ease. He's really not gonna provide any pass rush at all from a DE position. He needs to be an OLB so that he has to beat a TE, or a FB or a RB, because he cannot beat tackles in the NFL. Pryce is not ideal 4-3 DE, but even at his age he gives us much more pass rush at 4-3 DE than Kruger does.

I agree with this completely. Kruger showed he can be very effective as an outside linebacker this preseason. He has been getting a lot of pass rush and he looked pretty good in coverage.

coordinator0
08-28-2009, 12:44 PM
I agree with this completely. Kruger showed he can be very effective as an outside linebacker this preseason. He has been getting a lot of pass rush and he looked pretty good in coverage.

Yep. He has a ways to go physically if the team wants him to be a defensive end.