PDA

View Full Version : Shaun Hill named 49ers starting QB for week 1

49ersfan_87
08-24-2009, 05:54 PM
BREAKING NEWS: Shaun Hill named 49ers starting QB for season opener Sept. 13 vs. Cardinals, coach Mike Singletary announces.http://twitter.com/MattMaiocco/status/3522068991

Shaun Hill has beaten former #1 overall pick Alex Smith in the competition.

http://www.nfl.com/players/shaunhill/profile?id=HIL586565

Shaun Hill has 21 total TD's in his career in 11 significant games played (not counting kneeldown games). This will be the first time he has begun the season as a starter, not a backup or third-string QB.

http://www.ninersnation.com/images/admin/shaunhill.jpg

PACKmanN
08-24-2009, 05:56 PM
who cares.

M.O.T.H.
08-24-2009, 05:57 PM
hahahahahahaha^^^^

But really...Boooooooooooooooooo!

YAYareaRB
08-24-2009, 05:59 PM
Haha you guys are jack offs.

Anyways.. I've been waiting for him to get the starting job from the beginning.

Nalej
08-24-2009, 06:05 PM
I don't think anyone is surprised by this.
How far Smith has fallen though. I thought he was going to be a decent starter
*shrug* I liked D. Carr also though. Ah well

bearsfan_51
08-24-2009, 06:13 PM
This will last.

YAYareaRB
08-24-2009, 06:50 PM
This will last.

If he can start and maintain a season how he finishes them.. It will.

Brent
08-24-2009, 06:58 PM
no one should be surprised.

YAYareaRB
08-24-2009, 06:59 PM
no one should be surprised.

Possibly fantasy owners.

Brent
08-24-2009, 07:00 PM
Possibly fantasy owners.
if you got Shaun Hill to be your fantasy QB, you arent that smart to begin with... or just a huge homer.

YAYareaRB
08-24-2009, 07:02 PM
if you got Shaun Hill to be your fantasy QB, you arent that smart to begin with... or just a huge homer.

I dunnoooo.. In our 20 team NFLDC Fantasy League, he went pretty early.

Brent
08-24-2009, 07:10 PM
I dunnoooo.. In our 20 team NFLDC Fantasy League, he went pretty early.
Yikes, haha, good luck with that. Hopefully I have to eat crow on this but I dont see huge numbers or many victories coming his/our way.

bearsfan_51
08-24-2009, 07:10 PM
If he can start and maintain a season how he finishes them.. It will.
This is a guy that was undrafted and sat as a 3rd stringer for over 5 years before he even saw an NFL snap. He's already 29 years old.

I applaud Hill for working his way up through the league, but I'm sure they are already scouting his replacement. I wouldn't reach that much into his limited stats.

YAYareaRB
08-24-2009, 07:13 PM
This is a guy that was undrafted and sat as a 3rd stringer for over 5 years before he even saw an NFL snap. He's already 29 years old.

I applaud Hill for working his way up through the league, but I'm sure they are already scouting his replacement. I wouldn't reach that much into his limited stats.

I didn't mean that he was the future of the franchise. Believe me, I've been scouting for other QBs for three years now. However, he's a stop gap solution and I think he'd be an excellent game manager. I think the decision came down to who can the hand the ball off better lol

senormysterioso
08-24-2009, 07:20 PM
Imagine a world where ESPN didn't get a boner for Alex Smith graduating a year early in the weeks up to the draft, and stop liking Aaron Rodgers because of the whole Tedford quarterback thing...what if?

abaddon41_80
08-24-2009, 07:25 PM
Imagine a world where ESPN didn't get a boner for Alex Smith graduating a year early in the weeks up to the draft, and stop liking Aaron Rodgers because of the whole Tedford quarterback thing...what if?

Alex Smith would be a Pro Bowl caliber QB and Aaron Rodgers would be a bust

Ness
08-24-2009, 08:48 PM
who cares.

Yet you posted in the thread. Guess you care.

tjsunstein
08-24-2009, 08:53 PM
Alex Smith would be a Pro Bowl caliber QB and Aaron Rodgers would be a bust

Looking at your sig, Alex Smith chose the wrong position to play. He should try to contribute on special teams or something. That's a hell of a hit.

locseti
08-24-2009, 09:12 PM
OMG, Im stunned.

They both looked equally bad in the Raider game, but Smith had two great plays. Maybe they should put smith on special teams.

cvv84
08-24-2009, 09:41 PM

I think its just more proof that teams need to get talent in place before either drafting or starting their potential franchise QB. I remember after Aaron Rodgers 1st year there was talk of sending him to NFL Europe. Instead he got to sit, learn the offense, develop, and when his time came he had the weapons in place to succeed.

dabears10
08-24-2009, 09:48 PM
I think its just more proof that teams need to get talent in place before either drafting or starting their potential franchise QB. I remember after Aaron Rodgers 1st year there was talk of sending him to NFL Europe. Instead he got to sit, learn the offense, develop, and when his time came he had the weapons in place to succeed.

You are right Peyton Manning sucks. I feel like if you are going to succeed in the NFL you will if you are given time.

cvv84
08-24-2009, 09:57 PM
You are right Peyton Manning sucks. I feel like if you are going to succeed in the NFL you will if you are given time.

And who did they draft before Manning?

Marshall Faulk
Marvin Harrison
Tarik Glenn

And who did they draft after Manning?

Edgerrin James
Reggie Wayne
Dallas Clark

The Colts had a good offensive line established as well as an emerging WR and they've always had a solid TE. Not too mention the defense was above average at the time. Thanks for proving my point.

Job
08-24-2009, 10:09 PM
And how is that Nate Davis guy doing?

Brent
08-24-2009, 10:48 PM
And how is that Nate Davis guy doing?
he's a rookie, so obviously making rookie mistakes, but he's not going to be asked to contribute for at least a season or two. outside of that, cannon arm and no troubles with the offense despite people's concern about his dyslexia, which is totally a bogus concern.

locseti
08-24-2009, 10:50 PM
he's a rookie, so obviously making rookie mistakes, but he's not going to be asked to contribute for at least a season or two.

The niner fans at my fantasy draft this weekend were saying he looks better than hill and smith.

Brent
08-24-2009, 10:56 PM
The niner fans at my fantasy draft this weekend were saying he looks better than hill and smith.
That's not true. He's barely even played in practice, and when he has it's been against scrubs.

locseti
08-24-2009, 10:59 PM
I'm pretty sure they were talking about the other night against Oakland.

Brent
08-24-2009, 11:02 PM
I'm pretty sure they were talking about the other night against Oakland.
oh, so the Oakland scrubs, even better! ;)

locseti
08-24-2009, 11:08 PM
pshhh no scrubs here. We just signed Napoleon Harris. who, along with a first round pick was once traded for Randy Moss. That's how good our scrubs are. nate davis is ready to start.

Borat
08-24-2009, 11:48 PM
Can we hurry up and draft Jevan Snead please.

YAYareaRB
08-24-2009, 11:49 PM
pshhh no scrubs here. We just signed Napoleon Harris. who, along with a first round pick was once traded for Randy Moss. That's how good our scrubs are. nate davis is ready to start.

No, Nate Davis was going against other 3rd and 4th stringers. That's what he meant by scrubs.

MasterShake
08-25-2009, 12:09 AM

Hill may not be a longterm answer, but he'll have a better season than Jay Cutler...

locseti
08-25-2009, 12:10 AM
No, Nate Davis was going against other 3rd and 4th stringers. That's what he meant by scrubs.

obviously i was being facetious.

Hill may not be a longterm answer, but he'll have a better season than Jay Cutler...

are you serious?

M.O.T.H.
08-25-2009, 12:11 AM

Wut? Serious?

wogitalia
08-25-2009, 12:54 AM
I think this is the right choice, with Gore in the backfield and what could be a pretty strong defense, Hill is a natural choice.

Second to that, Hill has looked good every time he has gotten a shot for the 9ers, just seems to make the right decisions and avoid mistakes which is a pretty damn good start for a QB.

Plus I have a soft spot for him ever since a certain Madden Franchise season where he stepped up after I lost 3 other QBs for the season and lead me to a SB win...

MasterShake
08-25-2009, 02:55 AM
Wut? Serious?

100% serious, Hill will have a solid year and Cutler will be the worst trade blunder in recent memory.

locseti
08-25-2009, 03:03 AM
100% serious, Hill will have a solid year and Cutler will be the worst trade blunder in recent memory.

Child Please.

PACKmanN
08-25-2009, 07:17 AM

Rodgers wasn't NFL ready; he had the talent, but need a good QB coach and time to develop that talent.

Brent
08-25-2009, 08:20 AM
Rodgers wasn't NFL ready; he had the talent, but need a good QB coach and time to develop that talent.
I am pretty sure his point is whoever the Niners took that year, Rodgers or Smith, was doomed because the team around him was going to be one of the worst over the last 15 or so years.

Bucs_Rule
08-25-2009, 08:38 AM
From what I read the Packers were very disappointed with how Rodgers was performing in practice for the first 2 seasons. After that they saw real progress and started to get excited about him.

PACKmanN
08-25-2009, 09:40 AM
From what I read the Packers were very disappointed with how Rodgers was performing in practice for the first 2 seasons. After that they saw real progress and started to get excited about him.

imo, the Bucs should have drafted him and allowed him to develop with Gurden.

scottyboy
08-25-2009, 09:52 AM
i win for keeping him in this absurd keeper league and not trading him!

sorry longhorns legend, but I saw this coming! :D

YAYareaRB
08-25-2009, 10:33 AM
obviously i was being facetious.

I'm terrible at picking that up on message boards.