PDA

View Full Version : The 2010 Cowboys FA Thread

D-Unit
08-25-2009, 04:05 PM
It sure is early to be talking about this now, but I ran into an article today that got my mind thinking...

Vince Wilfork and the Patriots seem like they are at a standstill. I believe the Pats have covered their backs for this by drafting Ron Brace. Wilfork to FA was thought to be unheard of, but from the sounds of things now, you have to wonder...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Wilfork-and-Patriots-not-close-on-contract-exten;_ylt=AnX7rI.R.kawcmC0jWsHqsBDubYF?urn=nfl,18 4659

Also Casey Hampton is a FA as well... Hmm..... Food for thought.

PACKmanN
08-25-2009, 04:09 PM
is it me or does Wilfork get fatter and fatter every year? Hampton will not leave the Steelers, they will pay up. I think Wilfork goes to Miami.

bdlyons26
08-28-2009, 05:32 PM
I know this sounds stupid but d should bring in a 30th wr in harrison to help mentor these young guys!

D-Unit
08-28-2009, 05:40 PM
I know this sounds stupid but d should bring in a 30th wr in harrison to help mentor these young guys!
That what coaches are supposed to do. Marvin is washed up. Not even Peyton could make things work for him last year.

ricowboy
09-21-2009, 07:20 PM
It sure is early to be talking about this now, but I ran into an article today that got my mind thinking...

Vince Wilfork and the Patriots seem like they are at a standstill. I believe the Pats have covered their backs for this by drafting Ron Brace. Wilfork to FA was thought to be unheard of, but from the sounds of things now, you have to wonder...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Wilfork-and-Patriots-not-close-on-contract-exten;_ylt=AnX7rI.R.kawcmC0jWsHqsBDubYF?urn=nfl,18 4659

Also Casey Hampton is a FA as well... Hmm..... Food for thought.

Forget Wilfork after the Seymour trade. He will be in NE a long time. Hampton would be nice because Ratliff could kick out to End!

D-Unit
09-21-2009, 07:38 PM
As long as Wade is the HC/DC Ratliff will stay at NT. If Cowher was the HC, he might bring us a DC with the 3-4 Zone Blitz scheme and Ratliff would then move to DE. Any other person as DC... crap, that's anyone's guess as to what happens next.

MetSox17
09-21-2009, 11:06 PM
Does New England have any other big FAs? If they don't, they'll just tag Wilfork and look to either trade or extend him. No chance in hell they let him go for free.

And Hampton... Ehh. He's old, and i don't know how much he'll have left in the tank. If he gives us a hometown discount, then maybe, but i wouldn't give him big money.

Cicero
09-22-2009, 12:57 AM
Does New England have any other big FAs? If they don't, they'll just tag Wilfork and look to either trade or extend him. No chance in hell they let him go for free.

And Hampton... Ehh. He's old, and i don't know how much he'll have left in the tank. If he gives us a hometown discount, then maybe, but i wouldn't give him big money.

Logan Mankins, Leigh Bodden, Steven Neal, and Pierre Woods are probably the other "biggest" free agents. So no they won't have to shell out a lot of money on anyone else.

2011 is going to be a more difficult year with Brady, Moss, Maroney, and Light.

ricowboy
10-04-2009, 01:17 AM
Our free agency should start with what are needs are? Any thoughts? I think we could use a better back up run stuffer at NT and depth on the o-line. Also, we have a few d-line free agents that we need to make a decision on.

Macarthur
10-05-2009, 09:44 AM
I wouldn't mind resigning Spears for a very reasonable contract. He's pretty stout against the run and he's gotten some surprising penetration this season, so far.

We have to address LT. I doubt there's anyone in FA because those guys just don't hit the market.

As for NT, I think Siavii has been pretty decent for what we're asking him (10-15 plays per game).

LizardState
10-05-2009, 11:13 AM
BTW, Brace to NE was a local pick, Brace played at BC.

Not that he's playing like he wants it this yr, but the amount of $ that they will tie up in Ware with his contract re-up is a factor here. Wasn't that also a factor in the decision to let Canty go(<--- major mistake IMO, he came cheaper than they thought b/c he was injured his last yr at UVA & overachieved his contract) ?

I think we could use a better back up run stuffer at NT and depth on the o-line.

Ratliff needs a backup, better to get him in the draft than FA, the Kris Jenkinses of this world don't become available all that often.

Same with the many "possession receivers" on the roster, I think Roy Williams is locked up for yrs, but the Hurd, Crayton & Austin contracts s/b staggered over 2-4 yrs but IDK if they are, anyone know? If not, & 2 of those 3 are let go in the next 2 yrs, better to pick up some young legs & speed there in the draft.

Another big question IDK the answer to: When is Flozell's new contract up? He may be the most overpaid OL in the NFL based on performance. If anybody should restructure to make room for an incoming FA it's him.

herniateddisc
10-05-2009, 02:42 PM
Both Jenkins and Shaun Rogers were available for well over 1 year .... we blew it.

I remember proposing we trade for one of them but no one bit.

LonghornsLegend
11-09-2009, 12:08 PM
I'd be perfectly fine just getting some solid O-line depth in FA, not sure who will be out there but when Proctor is the 1st guy to step in you need to upgrade. Maybe we can find an Igor type of DE becoming available as a stop gap before we develop a rookie.

How long is Bowen locked up? He's gotten better and better for us, I don't know how he'd fare as a starter but he plays his ass off and has been impressive in limited time.

D-Unit
11-09-2009, 12:37 PM
Both Jenkins and Shaun Rogers were available for well over 1 year .... we blew it.

I remember proposing we trade for one of them but no one bit.
Just going back a year? You're kind of late to the party then.... Those two names were discussed even dating back to the Parcells years.

D-Unit
11-09-2009, 12:42 PM
I'd be perfectly fine just getting some solid O-line depth in FA, not sure who will be out there but when Proctor is the 1st guy to step in you need to upgrade. Maybe we can find an Igor type of DE becoming available as a stop gap before we develop a rookie.

How long is Bowen locked up? He's gotten better and better for us, I don't know how he'd fare as a starter but he plays his ass off and has been impressive in limited time.
I keep hearing how much Jerry likes Doug Free. That scares me. I know most of you like him more than I do. As a full time back up, that makes me feel good. As a starter... call me questionable.

But if that is the case, and Brewster is our future RT, then we're looking at back up interior linemen. ...where we already have vets. FA wouldn't be a logical route. The draft on the other hand would.

Don't worry Sergio Render! Here we come!!! :D

M.O.T.H.
11-09-2009, 12:44 PM

Bowen is a FA but, he's played his way into a new contract. He plays so much. He plays both DE positions and DT for us. He plays almost as much as Igor. He's playing great.

D-Unit
11-09-2009, 12:46 PM
Bowen is a FA but, he's played his way into a new contract. He plays so much. He plays both DE positions and DT for us. He plays almost as much as Igor. He's playing great.
I agree, but I wonder if he's playing good enough to the point where we wouldn't be looking at addressing DE in the draft. Thoughts?

M.O.T.H.
11-09-2009, 12:51 PM
I agree, but I wonder if he's playing good enough to the point where we wouldn't be looking at addressing DE in the draft. Thoughts?

I still would like to get some fresh blood at DE. Assuming Spears is let go. I do think Bowen should be given an opportunity to start, though. So DE in the 1st round may not be the place to go. But it should be addressed somewhere, preferably earlier in the draft than later, imo.

D-Unit
11-09-2009, 12:58 PM
I still would like to get some fresh blood at DE. Assuming Spears is let go. I do think Bowen should be given an opportunity to start, though. So DE in the 1st round may not be the place to go. But it should be addressed somewhere, preferably earlier in the draft than later, imo.
I think the DE draft class is deep enough that we don't need to spend a 1st rounder on one, but the value definitely lessens. But if we don't use a first on OT, then what would we spend one on? That's where I get confused. LB? I keep going back to Jason Williams. A Safety? Hmmm... CB? Nah, first round CBs this year don't give enough separation value this year, imo. A CB in the 3rd might be just as good. Scott has us taking Cody. It's an interesting thought.

M.O.T.H.
11-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I think the DE draft class is deep enough that we don't need to spend a 1st rounder on one, but the value definitely lessens. But if we don't use a first on OT, then what would we spend one on? That's where I get confused. LB? I keep going back to Jason Williams. A Safety? Hmmm... CB? Nah, first round CBs this year don't give enough separation value this year, imo. A CB in the 3rd might be just as good. Scott has us taking Cody. It's an interesting thought.

It is tough this year. I think it will be one of OT, DE, or S at the moment. S is a real possibility, even though we have Hamlin locked up and drafted the other Hamlin. Ken's contract is one that can easily be taken care of...he's not playing at a very high level right now, so I wouldnt be shocked if he gets the ax and we go S, to team up with Sensabaugh.

I still dont see Ratliff moving anywhere. The guy is a freak and amazing where he is at.

LB doesnt make much sense at all...unless they get really down on Spencer and I dont see that happening, yet. We wont spend a 1st on an inside LB, either.

Unless something major happens, our 1st round pick's position is a mystery. Very hard to predict right now and probably even the day of the draft.

D-Unit
11-09-2009, 01:13 PM
It is tough this year. I think it will be one of OT, DE, or S at the moment. S is a real possibility, even though we have Hamlin locked up and drafted the other Hamlin. Ken's contract is one that can easily be taken care of...he's not playing at a very high level right now, so I wouldnt be shocked if he gets the ax and we go S, to team up with Sensabaugh.

I still dont see Ratliff moving anywhere. The guy is a freak and amazing where he is at.

LB doesnt make much sense at all...unless they get really down on Spencer and I dont see that happening, yet. We wont spend a 1st on an inside LB, either.

Unless something major happens, our 1st round pick's position is a mystery. Very hard to predict right now and probably even the day of the draft.
Bingo! That's the underlying truth of it all. This year it's tough to predict. Which also means, Jerry could get cute... and that scares me. Might try to pick up a future first, or trade down for more picks or something crazy... like trading it for a player. Shawne Merriman? haha.

I'm with you though. I would like to chop the axe on Hamlin. Crayton is also on my hit list. He's no longer our "hands guy".

I liked the way Ratliff was moved all over the place yesterday. He had great results in doing so as well. That has to continue. If it does, another NT could certainly be looked at.

Paul
11-17-2009, 09:10 PM
Any chance Nick Collins leaves GB? Just a solid Safety who I think will fit very nicely with Sensabaugh. If we come out of FA just with Collins and Wilfork I will be a happy camper.

D-Unit
11-17-2009, 09:55 PM
I'm thinking Wilfork will stay. He's the reason why NE got rid of Seymour. We'll see though. I think there's a bigger chance that Hampton leaves. He's made some comments about testing the waters and I don't know if PIT will franchise him.

Then there is the whole thing on what th heck we'll do on the DL...

As for Collins, he sounds like a solid add.

Staubach12
11-18-2009, 04:59 PM
Antoine Bethea, anyone?

herniateddisc
11-18-2009, 09:24 PM
Just going back a year? You're kind of late to the party then.... Those two names were discussed even dating back to the Parcells years.

Yes D, wayyyyyyyy back then too.

TheFan0520
12-13-2009, 10:58 PM
They need a Charles Haley-type player to put that defense over the top. Richard Seymour? Jason Taylor?

D-Unit
12-16-2009, 12:26 PM
I'll say they need a Darren Woodson first.

FreshBoy!
12-16-2009, 12:31 PM
I'll say they need a Darren Woodson first.

Pretty much. Difference between a top 10 defense and a top 3. Leave everything as is, bring in a impact safety, and Dallas has a defense that can win games.

D-Unit
01-07-2010, 02:46 PM
Barrett Ruud is an UFA. Thoughts?

Macarthur
01-07-2010, 03:00 PM
Well, Brooking has shown me that he's got at least one more year at a high level. Hopefully next year we can see if Williams is ready to take over. Brooking is a good guy for him to watch and learn from.

D-Unit
01-07-2010, 05:11 PM
Well, Brooking has shown me that he's got at least one more year at a high level. Hopefully next year we can see if Williams is ready to take over. Brooking is a good guy for him to watch and learn from.
You're right. Any upgrades to the ILB position makes most sense when done through the draft.

I picked us Perrish Cox and Daryl Washington in my latest mock that I partnered up with Dirty Thirty on. Washington that late is unlikely, but that's the way the chips fell.

I liked what I saw of Pat Angerer. What a name too. Sounds mad. Plays mad.

bluebonnet78
01-12-2010, 12:25 PM
I’m curious to see how the possibility of the Final 8 Teams plan (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/31933379.html)
and the fact that most of our FAs will be fourth or fifth year restricted players (http://www.theredzone.org/showteam.aspx?team=Cowboys) will affect our offseason spending and ultimately our drafting. The Final 8 Teams plan in particular is going to restrict what we can do. This of course is assuming that nothing changes with the CBA.

My initial guess is that jerry will take care of business and give Miles a fat contract to make sure nobody has a shot at signing him as a RFA. Of course he’ll likely resign the longsnapper. After that it gets sketchy. I think he gives offer sheets to RFAs like Bowen, Spears, Siavvii and Sensabaugh.

And who knows maybe we'll get a draft pick out of one of them if someone else wants them bad enough. Though I'd be loath to lose Sensabaugh.

Any thoughts?

D-Unit
01-12-2010, 12:38 PM
I’m curious to see how the possibility of the Final 8 Teams plan (http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/31933379.html)
and the fact that most of our FAs will be fourth or fifth year restricted players (http://www.theredzone.org/showteam.aspx?team=Cowboys) will affect our offseason spending and ultimately our drafting. The Final 8 Teams plan in particular is going to restrict what we can do. This of course is assuming that nothing changes with the CBA.

My initial guess is that jerry will take care of business and give Miles a fat contract to make sure nobody has a shot at signing him as a RFA. Of course he’ll likely resign the longsnapper. After that it gets sketchy. I think he gives offer sheets to RFAs like Bowen, Spears, Siavvii and Sensabaugh.

And who knows maybe we'll get a draft pick out of one of them if someone else wants them bad enough. Though I'd be loath to lose Sensabaugh.

Any thoughts?
I think we'll be surprised at how decent a contract Austin signs for. I think it'll get done before FA starts. If not, Jerry just might allow the market to dictate Austin's worth and then match it. Lastly, there's a chance that he'll be Franchised. I don't see a scenario that Austin leaves in any case.

I think Sensabaugh is brought back. Between he and Michael Hamlin, our SS is in decent shape. I would like to see Hamlin get more opportunities to develop though.

Spears... I don't want him back. Use that money and feed it to the Hampton/Wilfork Fund. lol. Siavii and Bowen should be cheap to bring back. Siavii hasn't shown me anything, but I guess he's useable for depth.

crisco0710
01-12-2010, 01:24 PM
Yall think Sensabaugh would get the franchise if Austin gets his contract?

D-Unit
01-12-2010, 02:10 PM
Yall think Sensabaugh would get the franchise if Austin gets his contract?
H - E - Double Hockey Sticks NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Crazy crisco. lol.

M.O.T.H.
01-12-2010, 03:13 PM
I dont really see a reason to give Miles the big bucks yet, considering every FA and their mother is going to be restricted. You're not going to lose him with a tender. They could certainly risk giving it another year before shelling out an insane amount. Dont worry, he's not going anywhere but, honestly...there is no rush. He's going to get paid regardless.

crisco0710
01-12-2010, 03:14 PM
H - E - Double Hockey Sticks NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Crazy crisco. lol.

Well I was thinking that because of how Ken Hamlin performed once he got a big contract off of his 1 year deal. I would hate for us to sign him to a real good deal only for him to under achieve while Michael Hamlin just watches. I really like Sensabaugh and wouldn't think that he would.

D-Unit
01-12-2010, 04:16 PM
Well I was thinking that because of how Ken Hamlin performed once he got a big contract off of his 1 year deal. I would hate for us to sign him to a real good deal only for him to under achieve while Michael Hamlin just watches. I really like Sensabaugh and wouldn't think that he would.
I see where you're coming from now. But Sensy should not be among the Top 5 or Top 10 paid safeties in the league.

D-Unit
01-12-2010, 04:19 PM
I dont really see a reason to give Miles the big bucks yet, considering every FA and their mother is going to be restricted. You're not going to lose him with a tender. They could certainly risk giving it another year before shelling out an insane amount. Dont worry, he's not going anywhere but, honestly...there is no rush. He's going to get paid regardless.
I guess you learned something from that Ware contract situation, eh? You though Ware was going to be paid boogles and zoogles of money, but it turned out to be fine. I have full confidence in Jerry and Stephen and their ability to keep their prized possessions.

M.O.T.H.
01-12-2010, 04:21 PM
I guess you learned something from that Ware contract situation, eh? You though Ware was going to be paid boogles and zoogles of money, but it turned out to be fine. I have full confidence in Jerry and Stephen and their ability to keep their prized possessions.

This is a different situation. Ware was expected to be signed in the off-season and that never came. And I didnt like that at all. But in the end it all went well into the season, but that's not exactly the norm.

These are completely different, though. With the whole demise of the CBA and such. Plus, their career and productivity is completely different as well. Miles will be fine, I'm not saying he's going to have a major drop off...but there really is no reason to rush into some giant contract because, of what is going on league wide with free agency.

And to be fair with Ware...I wasnt the only one throwing out outlandish numbers...his contract was a surprise to all. The fact that he's not the highest paid player in the game is surprising still.

D-Unit
01-12-2010, 04:28 PM
This is a different situation. Ware was expected to be signed in the off-season and that never came. And I didnt like that at all. But in the end it all went well into the season, but that's not exactly the norm.

These are completely different, though. With the whole demise of the CBA and such. Plus, their career and productivity is completely different as well. Miles will be fine, I'm not saying he's going to have a major drop off...but there really is no reason to rush into some giant contract because, of what is going on league wide with free agency.

And to be fair with Ware...I wasnt the only one throwing out outlandish numbers...his contract was a surprise to all. The fact that he's not the highest paid player in the game is surprising still.
Guess you didn't learn anything then. haha.

Interested to know who you would like the team to sign in FA... thoughts?

M.O.T.H.
01-12-2010, 04:41 PM
Guess you didn't learn anything then. haha.

Interested to know who you would like the team to sign in FA... thoughts?

I commented on it before...but we dont even know what's going to be out there right now. Damn near everyone is restricted, and we dont have any real idea who these "cap cut" guys will be.

Whatever the case is...do we really need a whole lot? We dont have any open spots on offense, and defense...maybe an end or safety? We're pretty set. Could be real quiet this year.

D-Unit
01-12-2010, 05:10 PM
I commented on it before...but we dont even know what's going to be out there right now. Damn near everyone is restricted, and we dont have any real idea who these "cap cut" guys will be.

Whatever the case is...do we really need a whole lot? We dont have any open spots on offense, and defense...maybe an end or safety? We're pretty set. Could be real quiet this year.
We've had a string of quiet offseasons now. But I expect these positions to be FA worthy. NT/DE, FS, CB, K.

I think our total needs could be: NT/DE, FS, CB, ILB, WR, C, OG, K.

But due to age and money tied into the position, the draft would be better for positions like ILB, OL, and WR.

M.O.T.H.
01-12-2010, 05:21 PM
We've had a string of quiet offseasons now. But I expect these positions to be FA worthy. NT/DE, FS, CB, K.

I think our total needs could be: NT/DE, FS, CB, ILB, WR, C, OG, K.

But due to age and money tied into the position, the draft would be better for positions like ILB, OL, and WR.

Maybe for filler...but, the only three positions that we may be looking at new starters for are probably only End, Safety, or Kicker. And after the year our defense just had, we can finally put all this Ratliff to End talk to rest, it's not going to happen.

DE: Perhaps because, Spears is an FA. He can certainly be re-signed or we can turn to Bowen just as easily, though. I'd love to tackle some depth via the draft. Hatcher blows the majority of the time...we could use some fresh faces at DE.

FS: We've all discussed the possibility of Hamlin getting the ax. I'm 50/50 on this, it could happen but, I wouldnt call it a guarantee. We could def. use an upgrade. Safety in the draft would be nice as well, despite having drafted Mike Hamlin, who is still intriguing.

CB: Realistically, this guy is a 4th corner anyway you cut it. Newman isnt getting cut and they wont give up on Scandrick yet. So, this is probably a draft position as well. Considering what we did when we had Pacman and went four-five deep with real talent, we could always take a corner fairly early, though.

ILB: Wouldnt be surprised if we dont do anything here. We have five as it is and just drafted two last season. Considering an injury hindered Williams development, I wouldn't be surprised to see us re-up Carpenter's ass for a year. Bleh. James and Brooking will still start, guaranteed, imo.

WR: Another draft position, potentially.

C/G: All we need here is depth. Davis and Gurode are going to be the starters for many a year yet. So we wont be spending big bucks here via FA. And Kosier was brilliant this year.

K: Wherever we can find one. haha. :( Dont be surprised if Folk is given another chance.

My opinion on the positions...

D-Unit
01-12-2010, 06:21 PM
Maybe for filler...but, the only three positions that we may be looking at new starters for are probably only End, Safety, or Kicker. And after the year our defense just had, we can finally put all this Ratliff to End talk to rest, it's not going to happen.

DE: Perhaps because, Spears is an FA. He can certainly be re-signed or we can turn to Bowen just as easily, though. I'd love to tackle some depth via the draft. Hatcher blows the majority of the time...we could use some fresh faces at DE.

FS: We've all discussed the possibility of Hamlin getting the ax. I'm 50/50 on this, it could happen but, I wouldnt call it a guarantee. We could def. use an upgrade. Safety in the draft would be nice as well, despite having drafted Mike Hamlin, who is still intriguing.

CB: Realistically, this guy is a 4th corner anyway you cut it. Newman isnt getting cut and they wont give up on Scandrick yet. So, this is probably a draft position as well. Considering what we did when we had Pacman and went four-five deep with real talent, we could always take a corner fairly early, though.

ILB: Wouldnt be surprised if we dont do anything here. We have five as it is and just drafted two last season. Considering an injury hindered Williams development, I wouldn't be surprised to see us re-up Carpenter's ass for a year. Bleh. James and Brooking will still start, guaranteed, imo.

WR: Another draft position, potentially.

C/G: All we need here is depth. Davis and Gurode are going to be the starters for many a year yet. So we wont be spending big bucks here via FA. And Kosier was brilliant this year.

K: Wherever we can find one. haha. :( Dont be surprised if Folk is given another chance.

My opinion on the positions...
Even though I listed CB as a possible FA target, I do agree that the draft is a better option. I just didn't want to totally eliminate it with the amount of talent in the FA crop.

D-Unit
01-13-2010, 06:20 PM
KFFL lists these guys as our UFAs, but it's not updated. Who do we need to cross off that list?

Jon Kitna
Alonza Coleman
Miles Austin
Sam Hurd
Rodney Hannah
Montrae Holland
Pat McQuistan
Stephen Bowen
Jason Hatcher
Alan Ball (RFA)
Terence Newman
Gerald Sensabaugh
Pat Watkins

M.O.T.H.
01-13-2010, 06:37 PM
All 12 of these guys become restricted...

Cowboys (12): receiver Miles Austin (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4059), defensive end Stephen Bowen, cornerback Cletis Gordon (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4085), defensive end Jason Hatcher (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3726), receiver Sam Hurd, tackle Pat McQuistan, center Duke Preston, guard Cory Procter, safety Gerald Sensabaugh, defensive end Marcus Spears, safety Pat Watkins (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3762), kicker Shaun Suisham.

And Newman signed a contract extension.

D-Unit
01-13-2010, 06:44 PM
All 12 of these guys become restricted...

Cowboys (12): receiver Miles Austin (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4059), defensive end Stephen Bowen, cornerback Cletis Gordon (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=4085), defensive end Jason Hatcher (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3726), receiver Sam Hurd, tackle Pat McQuistan, center Duke Preston, guard Cory Procter, safety Gerald Sensabaugh, defensive end Marcus Spears, safety Pat Watkins (http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=NFL&id=3762), kicker Shaun Suisham.

And Newman signed a contract extension.
Is then Kitna our only UFA?

Alonzo Coleman and Rodney Hannah aren't even on the team.

Wait... what about Curtis Johnson? Junior Siavii? Shaun Suisam? Kevin Ogletree... Are they UFAs?

LonghornsLegend
01-13-2010, 06:47 PM
I want to bring Stephen Bowen back, I mentioned that on the last page. Sensabaugh I'm torn on, I don't want to pay him like Hamlin, but damn do I want him back. Adding a centerfielder at FS who has ball skills with him at SS is deadly, Hamlin doesn't even matter anymore.

Sensabaugh has been all over the place and can find the ball, he's done great for having that damn club on his hand lol.

M.O.T.H.
01-13-2010, 06:53 PM
Is Ogletree even a FA? I have no idea what kind of deal he signed. He probably signed a multi-year UDFA contract.

Siavii, Suisham, and Johnson would be restricted.

Holland would be unrestricted.

M.O.T.H.
01-13-2010, 06:54 PM
I want to bring Stephen Bowen back, I mentioned that on the last page. Sensabaugh I'm torn on, I don't want to pay him like Hamlin, but damn do I want him back. Adding a centerfielder at FS who has ball skills with him at SS is deadly, Hamlin doesn't even matter anymore.

Sensabaugh has been all over the place and can find the ball, he's done great for having that damn club on his hand lol.

Bowen is def. coming back. He could potentially even start if Spears walks. You could just offer a fairly cheap tender to Sensy...as would be the case with most of our FAs. I personally want Sensabaugh back as well...but yeah, you dont have to sign him to a multi year deal.

D-Unit
01-13-2010, 07:05 PM
I just want to know who our UFAs (if any) are... That's the big mystery to me.

M.O.T.H.
01-13-2010, 07:13 PM
I think it's just Kitna and Holland.

LonghornsLegend
01-13-2010, 07:14 PM
Holland can go, I also wouldn't mind looking for another QB late if we see someone we like. Don't know what McGee will look like, but we need to be constantly looking for a QB to groom for a few years, I'd hate to have a talented team and then be on the QB hunt for 4-5 years.

M.O.T.H.
01-13-2010, 07:24 PM
Two interesting ones will be what we do with Hurd and Watkins. Two excellent ST players. Our two best. They can both be brought back on the cheap.

As much as I love my boy Hurd, Garrett doesnt let him play at all. I'd like to see him make something of himself, there are better opportunities out there. The fact that he is restricted, though...probably means he'll be back. Which is just fine with me still, obviously. I just want him to get a real chance. As for Pat, who is beasting on special teams, and provides decent enough depth. It could go either way. Ball, who is also restricted, will be back, since he can play two positions and is solid on the ST unit. Then you factor in that we drafted Mike Hamlin and could afford to spend a high pick there...Watkins may not be back.

Bowen is a lock. Hatcher isnt even that good but, I'm sure he'd be back as well.

I'm not sure what happens with Spears...the coaches always seemed to like him a lot more than the fans did.

Also, I stupidly thought Carp was a FA. I know a lot of you guys want to go ILB in the draft but, I doubt it happens. We have 5 guys all signed up for next season already. Two of which were draft picks, who we like. And heck you could add Leon Williams to the list as well. James, Brooking, Carp, Williams, Hodge, Williams. Yeah, I dont see any room.

D-Unit
01-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Who is Leon Williams? Is he a lock for the 53 man roster?

The fact that we brought him in only further emphasizes the message that we're looking for ILB help.

While we do have our guys locked up, we do need to be thinking about grooming guys. Both James and Brooking are no spring chickens.

M.O.T.H.
01-13-2010, 07:30 PM
Who is Leon Williams? Is he a lock for the 53 man roster?

The fact that we brought him in only further emphasizes the message that we're looking for ILB help.

While we do have our guys locked up, we do need to be thinking about grooming guys. Both James and Brooking are no spring chickens.

No it doesnt. The guy is a good camp body. He wont make the 53, no. But the other 5 will.

James is still a pretty young guy...but anyway, we did draft Williams and Hodge...they'll continue to get groomed. And the other three in front of them are locked in, there just isnt any room.

D-Unit
01-13-2010, 07:37 PM
No it doesnt. The guy is a good camp body. He wont make the 53, no. But the other 5 will.

James is still a pretty young guy...but anyway, we did draft Williams and Hodge...they'll continue to get groomed. And the other three in front of them are locked in, there just isnt any room.
Ah.. I did some googling on Leon Williams... I remember him now. The LB from the U! Love any player from there man. I hope it works out for the best. Guy has some real natural ability. Wonder what happened in Cleveland...

As for Hodge... I say Goood luck buddy. Hardly a lock or reason why we shouldn't be drafting an ILB. Jason Williams is the only lock there. Carpenter is improving, but I don't see him moving into a starting role.

Even if we wait till the 3rd or 4th round to grab a guy like Pat Angerer... that guy has got real talent for a LB.

M.O.T.H.
01-13-2010, 07:49 PM
I wasnt the biggest Hodge fan when we took him but, the coaches apparently loved him. I saw him as not much more than a ST player, a potential ST ace. But he won our coaches over and he was supposedly great in coverage during practices. I'm sure he'll get another year to prove his worth. And I agree Bobby will never be a starter here...but his position for next year is pretty secure, with J Williams injuries hindering any real kind of substantial growth in his first year. He'll be the nickel guy again to start the year, most likely. It's just tough to see us add another, when we already have 5. And we chose to carry 3 on the active roster several times, even when Williams was healthy this year. When it appears things are set for us at a position, they normally are. Look no further than the WR and D-Line positions going untouched for years.

As for Leon...I heard he really fell out of favor when Mangini came. Mangini's dude, Barton replaced him. And he became expendable. That's not to say he was great by any means, though. Like you said, he's a good athlete for his size but, he's more of a chaser than a pursuer. Lots of tackles several yards passed the line of scrimmage.

Macarthur
01-18-2010, 04:45 PM
What does everyone think about us going after Donald Penn?

pocketaces
01-18-2010, 05:43 PM
Here's our's per DMN...

UNRESTRICTED FREE AGENT
OG Montrae Holland

RESTRICTED FREE AGENTS
WR Miles Austin
DE Stephen Bowen
CB Cletis Gordon
DE Jason Hatcher
WR Sam Hurd
OT Pat McQuistan
C Duke Preston
C Cory Procter
S Gerald Sensabaugh
NT Junior Siavii
DE Marcus Spears
K Shaun Suisham
S Pat Watkins

EXCLUSIVE RIGHTS FREE AGENT
CB Alan Ball
LB Steve Octavien

nrcirc
01-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Terrance Cody can help short yardage too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp7p6ugH6rQ&NR=1

& two blocks FGs: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NwPPSXMy2E&feature=related

Macarthur
01-19-2010, 10:31 AM
NO body have an interest in Donald Penn?

thule
01-19-2010, 10:52 AM
I'm not even looking at FA...when it's completely up to teams signing out FA....our only FA is holland...and depending on what we tender the rest of our guys...we aren't going to even have a chance to sign anyone imo.

thule
01-19-2010, 10:57 AM
I stand corrected.

Because the Cowboys made the divisional round, they will be limited in their free-agency dealing, according to the “final eight rule.” They can only sign one player with a salary of $4.925 million or more but can sign a limitless amount of free agents provided their first year base salary is not more than $3.275 million.

Had the Cowboys made the NFC championship game they would not have been able to sign a free agent unless Montrae Holland signed with another team.

D-Unit
01-19-2010, 03:39 PM
I stand corrected.
Thank goodness! Jerry has a way of working around the rules.

FA Hunting Period is reopened!!! Casey Hampton/Vince Wilfork HERE WE COME!!!

dan77733
01-21-2010, 01:18 AM
Hey guys, im obviously not a Cowboys fan but my friend Joey is and me and him were talking the other day about our respective teams (49ers and Cowboys) and what we're hoping they do in FA and the Draft.

Joey's number one want on his wish list is a KICKER who will actually be worth overpaying. I told him that I have no clue what his team is going to do regarding a kicker except for one thing - I dont see Suisham being back in 2010.

I actually mentioned something to him that I will mention here -

What about David Beuhler being your kickoff kicker as well as your kicker on FG's and XP's? He's definitely got the leg strength but like he said, how's his accuracy? Can he actually be the guy that kicks FG's and XP's or is he just a kickoff guy?

Another thing me and him agreed on is this - why do some of you want to replace Ratliff at NT? Quite honestly, as a 49ers fan who's seen his team finally have a damn good NT in Franklin after five years of looking, I dont see how replacing Ratiff would be a positive for you guys.

Hampton will be 33 in September and is nearly done and while Wilfork would be great for any 3-4 base team, I dont see him NOT being franchised by NE and quite honestly, it would be cheaper to acquire a solid 3-4 DE like you guys did a year ago in FA with Olshansky.

thule
01-21-2010, 10:27 AM
Beuhler couldn't beat out Folk or Suisham this year...what does that tell you? Maybe if he works on it more this offseason he might have a chance...but he just doesn't have the accuracy.

As for moving Ratliff...People just want a big body. It's easier to get a big body to plug the middle than it is to find an impact 5-tech. We believe Ratliff will be an impact player at NT and 5-tech....a big body just had to clog the middle 2 downs.

LonghornsLegend
01-22-2010, 11:16 PM
The Cowboys reportedly worked out free agent WR Chad Jackson this week.
At least Jackson is still trying. The No. 36 overall pick in 2006 didn't make the Broncos out of training camp last year and failed to catch on with a team in-season. Still only 24, he'll likely latch on somewhere this spring.
Source: Adam Caplan on Twitter

LOL. Didn't alot of us around here really like him? I know me and D did, probably alot more, I was all for signing him after the Pats cut him, interesting were working him out though. Whether we sign him or not, he's not even a better WR then Sam Hurd, but hey I did always like this guy so what the hell :D

M.O.T.H.
01-23-2010, 12:23 AM
Loved his combine performance much more than I ever liked the player.

herniateddisc
01-24-2010, 10:51 PM
If Chad can return a kick off past the 20 -- sign him for the 5th slot.

D-Unit
01-24-2010, 10:57 PM
LOL. Didn't alot of us around here really like him? I know me and D did, probably alot more, I was all for signing him after the Pats cut him, interesting were working him out though. Whether we sign him or not, he's not even a better WR then Sam Hurd, but hey I did always like this guy so what the hell :D

Loved Chad. Not gonna deny that. Loved his swagger. Loved his raw ability. He was a fighter. I'd love to see what he could do here.

Is it ironic or is it just me? The Cowboys have signed an ILB and now are looking at a WR. Shouldn't that be signs of us looking at areas where we have needs? *shrugs*

Say what you want about Golden Tate and ILBs in the draft... Cowboys have shown their interest.

I hope that Kicker works out.

Biggest need in FA is NT/DE.

thule
02-18-2010, 02:15 PM
Closer to home, the Cowboys' Stephen Jones announced yesterday that his team did not plan to spend lavishly when the free agent market opens next month.

dmn blog post this

Pryme
03-11-2010, 02:57 PM
O.J. Atogwe-DB- Rams Mar. 11 - 1:16 pm et

Rams FS O.J. Atogwe will reach unrestricted free agency on June 1 if the team does not sign him to a long-term deal, guarantee a 2010 contract of $7 million, or trade his rights.

The predicament has to do with Atogwe's right of first refusal tender. Currently a restricted free agent, Atogwe can be signed to an offer sheet until April 15. If he fails to draw an offer, Atogwe can force the Rams' hand on the $7 million guaranteed, knowing that the team will lose his rights by June.
Source: Santa Rosa Press-Democrat

O.J. Atogwe-DB - Rams Mar. 11 - 11:27 am et

Restricted free agent FS O.J. Atogwe is reportedly "on the Cowboys' radar."
It doesn't say much for Ken Hamlin's standing with the club. Atogwe offers superior playmaking ability while Hamlin remains a prime candidate for release with $6 million due this season.
Source: Dallas Morning News

Awwwwwwwwww HELLLLLLL YESSSSS! Atogwe would put us over the top as a defense. Cut Hamlin and give Atogwe all that money!!!

This would also allow us to go almost completely BPA for the draft. Atogwe was my top target for the boys as soon as they gave him the low tender and I can't wait to see what happens! MAKE IT HAPPEN JERRUH!

D-Unit
03-11-2010, 07:43 PM
O.J. Atogwe-DB- Rams Mar. 11 - 1:16 pm et

Rams FS O.J. Atogwe will reach unrestricted free agency on June 1 if the team does not sign him to a long-term deal, guarantee a 2010 contract of $7 million, or trade his rights.

The predicament has to do with Atogwe's right of first refusal tender. Currently a restricted free agent, Atogwe can be signed to an offer sheet until April 15. If he fails to draw an offer, Atogwe can force the Rams' hand on the $7 million guaranteed, knowing that the team will lose his rights by June.
Source: Santa Rosa Press-Democrat

O.J. Atogwe-DB - Rams Mar. 11 - 11:27 am et

Restricted free agent FS O.J. Atogwe is reportedly "on the Cowboys' radar."
It doesn't say much for Ken Hamlin's standing with the club. Atogwe offers superior playmaking ability while Hamlin remains a prime candidate for release with $6 million due this season.
Source: Dallas Morning News

Awwwwwwwwww HELLLLLLL YESSSSS! Atogwe would put us over the top as a defense. Cut Hamlin and give Atogwe all that money!!!

This would also allow us to go almost completely BPA for the draft. Atogwe was my top target for the boys as soon as they gave him the low tender and I can't wait to see what happens! MAKE IT HAPPEN JERRUH!
What do you guys like most about Atogwe? What are his weaknesses?

Pryme
03-12-2010, 09:57 AM
What do you guys like most about Atogwe? What are his weaknesses?

The guy is just a straight up PLAYMAKER! He created 24 turnovers in the past two seasons playing in 28 games. Solid tackler and does well in coverage. He's a great all around player with tremendous turnover causing game changing ability. He's 29 years old, however other than age, I'm not aware of any outstanding weaknesses and I have no idea what the Rams were thinking by not tagging him higher. I think they were just trying to be cheap but it may have back fired on them and Atogwe might be insulted and want out. In that case, come to DALLAS!!!

thule
03-12-2010, 06:24 PM
His name has been brought up in multiple threads with multiple reactions...feel free to use the search feature to get our thoughts in this thread.

Also just to add some information.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/3EEF851A7185B2EF862576E4001432EC?OpenDocument

The Rams' offseason conditioning program begins Monday, and Atogwe will not be in attendance. In fact, barring a change in contract status, Atogwe will be a no-show at all team activities this spring and summer, according to league sources.

Atogwe and his agent have declined comment since the Rams last week tendered Atogwe at $1.226 million, the lowest possible tender as a restricted free agent for someone with Atogwe's experience level in the NFL.

Those who know Atogwe say he's not angry, that he gets it — he understands this is the business side of the NFL. Nonetheless, those close to Atogwe say he isn't sure what to make of the Rams' low tender offer and wonders if the Rams might be dangling him as potential trade bait.

M.O.T.H.
03-13-2010, 09:04 PM
I still dont think he's going anywhere. Everyone is saying the Rams are just sitting back and waiting for the market to set his contractual value, before they sign him. It's easier than dealing with his agent, who wants to get his player paid an outlandish amount, after a down injury plauged year.

They could have easily put a tender on him where they would have received compensation, if they were to lose him. They chose not to, on their best defensive player...the odds are good that he'll be returning to St. Louis.

thule
04-02-2010, 02:56 PM
With the release of Hamlin I went digging to see if any progress had gone into OJ and the Rams...found a good article breaking it down.

http://miamiherald.typepad.com/rollout/2010/03/do-you-like-safety-oj-atogwe-get-in-line-and-wait-until-june-1.html

Now, for the more in-depth explanation: The Rams are currently trying to reach a long-term deal with Atogwe. Those negotiations aren’t likely to intensify until sometime between April 15 (the deadline for teams to submit offer sheets on restricted free agents) and May 31 (the last day for teams with RFAs to offer acceptable tenders).

But there’s a catch. If the Rams can’t reach a long-term deal, and they want to keep Atogwe, they’ll have to give him an acceptable tender that pays him 110 percent of his 2009 salary with all of the same conditions as the previous contract.

Since he had a $6.3 million guaranteed salary last season, that means the Rams would once again need to guarantee him $6.93 million – an excessive cost that can be avoided by a long-term deal.

So when April 15 hits, the pressure will be on the Rams to reach a new deal within 45 days or else Atogwe will become an unrestricted free agent, able to sign with any other NFL team, including the Dolphins.

D-Unit
04-02-2010, 03:20 PM
Atwoge to Dallas is still a far fetched idea imo.

M.O.T.H.
04-02-2010, 03:25 PM
I dont think there is anyway they'll let him get away. The whole reason they did this was to let the market dictate his true value and it hasnt worked all that well yet.

thule
04-02-2010, 03:31 PM
I dont think there is anyway they'll let him get away. The whole reason they did this was to let the market dictate his true value and it hasnt worked all that well yet.

If they can't reach a long term deal...I find it hard to believe they are going to pay him almost 7 million. Like the article says NFL teams know this and thus that is why noone has came biting. However after the draft things will heat up.

I also still think we are looking at Bethea. I'm not sold that we don't look to address this in the FA market yet.

bluebonnet78
04-02-2010, 08:49 PM
curious if Dallas might consider Mike Gandy as a backup to Free. More likely though Dallas will draft a tackle as backup or would just move over leonard davis in the worst case scenario

M.O.T.H.
04-02-2010, 08:51 PM
curious if Dallas might consider Mike Gandy as a backup to Free. More likely though Dallas will draft a tackle as backup or would just move over leonard davis in the worst case scenario

There's probably a good possibility that we grab a tackle in FA now. We dont have a swing tackle anymore. And I doubt any tackle we bring in through the draft will be ready for such a role.

I at least hope we get a veteran, because the depth is scary across the entire line.

D-Unit
04-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Thursday is deadline day for Rams safety Oshiomogho Atogwe ... at least for the time being.

As a restricted free agent, April 15 is the deadline for NFL players to sign an offer sheet and present it to their original teams.

There has been little interest in Atogwe since the league year began March 5. Early on, there was some reported interest from the Dallas Cowboys, but that never materialized.

Unless there is permission from their teams, once April 15 passes, restricted free agents are not allowed to negotiate with other teams. However, there can be discussions of potential trades.

Atogwe was tendered at the lowest level for his years of experience -- $1.226 million – and would have no required compensation if there was an offer sheet that the Rams elected not to match.

If the day passes without an offer sheet, June 1 becomes the next key date. By that day, the Rams have to decide whether to issue a new tender at 110 percent of his 2009 salary of $6.342 million, when he was the team’s franchise player.

If no long-term agreement is reached between the Rams and Atogwe by then, the new tender would be at $6.976 million. If that tender is not offered, Atogwe would become an unrestricted free agent.

http://www.globe-democrat.com/news/2010/apr/15/thursday-deadline-atogwe-receive-offers-other-team/

D-Unit
04-24-2010, 05:37 PM
49ers
Chris Maragos, S, UW
Patrick Stoudamire, DB, W. Illinois
Jared Perry, WR, Missouri

Bears
Freddie Barnes, WR, Chicago
Desi Cullen, P, UConn (Tryout)
Mike Mayberry, LB, Indiana

Bengals

Bills
John Destin, CB, Tulsa
Naaman Roosevelt, WR, Buffalo
Donald Jones, WR, Youngstown St.

Broncos
Clint Gresham, LS, TCU
Nathan Overbay, TE, Eastern Washington
Jaron Baston, DT, Missouri
Browns

Buccaneers
Jevan Snead, QB, Ole Miss
Rico McCoy, LB, Tennessee

Cardinals
Alfonso Smith, RB, Kentucky

Chargers
Jeremy Williams, WR, Tulane
Nic Richmond, OT, TCU
Brandon Lang, OLB, Troy
Marcel Thompson, WR
Richie Brockel, TE, Boise State

Chiefs

Colts
Brandon James, KR, Florida

Cowboys
Matt Nichols, QB, Eastern Washington
Phil Coast, C, Maryland

Dolphins

Eagles

Falcons
Colin Peek, TE, Alabama
Bear Woods, LB, Troy.
Rafael Bush, DB, Sc. State.
Ryan Wolfe, WR, UNLV

Giants
Ayanga Okpokowuruk, DE, Duke
Nate Collins, DL, Virginia
Duke Calhoun, WR, Memphis

Jaguars
Aaron Morgan, DE, ULM
Chris Hawkins, CB, LSU
Kevin Haslam, OT, Rutgers

Jets
Donovan Warren, CB, Michigan
Charlie Tanner, OG, Texas
Lions
Mike Moore, WR, Georgia

Packers
Quinn Porter, RB, Stillman
Frank Zombo, DE, CMU

Panthers
Kurtis Gregory, OG, Missouri
Matt O'Hanlon, S, Nebraska

Raiders
Trent Guy, WR, Louisville

Rams
Brandon McRae, WR, Mississippi State
Simoni Lawrence, LB, Minnesota

Ravens
Curtis Steele, RB, Memphis
Mike McLaughlin, LB, Boston College
Morgan Cox, S, Tennessee
Prince Miller, CB, Georgia
Josh Morris, DB, Weber St.

Redskins

Saints
Jason Beauchamp, LB, UNLV

Seahawks
Rob Rose, DT, Ohio State
Quintin Hancock, WR, Tennessee

Steelers
Damon Cromartie-Smith, S, UTEP

Texans
Aaron Webster, S, Cinci
Isiaih Greenhouse, FB, NW St.

Titans
Dane Fletcher, DE, Montana State
Stafon Johnson, RB, USC

Vikings
Ryan Perriloux, QB, JSU

D-Unit
04-24-2010, 09:00 PM
Add CB Bryan McCann, SMU to that list for us. 5'10, 185. Ran a 4.28 40.

pocketaces
04-24-2010, 09:12 PM
Here are some preliminary reports on players the Cowboys are signing as undrafted rookie free agents (UDFAs). We'll update if and when more names roll in.

Matt Nichols, QB, Eastern Washington -6'2", 219

PROFILE:

A solid 3-year starter who has played in some big games against some pretty decent defenses and done well.
Has a bit of gunslinger mentality. Can pinpoint the ball. Let's it fly. Leaves nothing on the field and is a competitor's competitor.

OK size and arm strength. Intelligent and football smart. Will work. Has a little magic in his game.
Runs hot and cold. Has been a bit undisciplined at times. May need to be groomed for longer than you have patience for. Not imposing in any sense. Sometimes exhibits a tad too much swagger.

Story on Nichols' signing:

If Nichols can earn a third-string spot, he gets his contract. However, even if he fails, then there remains the chance that he could still wind up on the Cowboys’ practice squad and earn over $60,000 there.

Being on the practice squad means that he wouldn’t be eligible to partcipate in an NFL game. However, the Cowboys or any other team has the option of plucking him from the practice squad onto a 53-man NFL roster at any point in the season.

Dallas has had some success turning practice squad signal-callers into actual pro quarterbacks. Current Carolina Panthers starting quarter Matt Moore was a former Cowboys practice squad player.

Grandell said that Nichols is expected to be the only free-agent quarterback signing by the Cowboys.

Phil Costa, C, Maryland - 6'3, 300

U of Maryland PROFILE:

An intelligent, versatile player who was the leader of the offensive line as a senior ... a hard-nosed player with good feet ... a two-year starter ... played mostly guard until his senior season when he started at center ... one of the Terps' top reserve linemen in 2006 and 2007 ... emerged as the starting right guard as a junior ... played in 40 career games, including 30 starts (13 at RG/five at LG/12 at center) ... started the final 24 games of his career ... a two-time Academic All-ACC performer ... one of the strongest players on the team during his career ... owns the all-time record among Terps' offensive linemen in the clean (435 in 2008) and is second all-time in the vertical jump (35.5 inches in 2007) among offensive linemen ... also has the third-best strength index (748 in 2008) in school history (among offensive linemen).

Story that he signed with Dallas.

Barry Church, S, Toledo - 6'2", 219

NFL.COM PROFILE:

Church has been an outstanding safety for the Rockets over his four seasons. He has an excellent combination of size and strength for the position. Church is best coming downhill attacking the line of scrimmage. He is a tough, competitive player that is better closer to the line of scrimmage. He has good vision to leverage the ball and excels at filling the alley, as well as reacting to patterns in the passing game. He lacks great range, speed and lateral agility in coverage and this could limit his effectiveness at the next level. Church has the physical stature, toughness and instincts to be an impact player on coverage units (special teams) with a chance to work into a starting safety position.

Chris Gronkowski, FB/TE, Arizona - 6'1", 242

SI PROFILE:

Positives: Undersized tight end/H-back with marginal upside for the next level. Displays good blocking vision, nicely redirects to defenders and works hard. Fluid moving about the field, and does an adequate job catching the ball.

Negatives: Marginal strength at the point of attack and struggles handling linebackers.

Analysis: Gronkowski has been a marginally productive player in college. He will have an uphill climb to make it at the next level and must quickly produce on special teams.

Lonyae Miller, RB, Fresno State - 5'11", 221

From NFL.COM PROFILE:

Miller is a good-sized running back with adequate running skills. He will show a good burst through the hole but will get ahead of his blockers at times, as well. He tends to run a bit erect and will take some shots that a more compact runner can deflect with shoulder pads. He is not very interested in blocking when asked to stay in and pick up the blitz and is not as punishing a runner as he could be. Needs work on finishing his runs. He has enough wiggle to go with good speed and a good burst through the hole to warrant consideration as a late draft pick.

Terrell Hudgins, WR, Elon - 6'1", 237

PROFILE:

Strengths:

Power, size, ball skills, plays fast, a durable, consistent, sure-handed receiver who can make all the catches: the routine as well as circus-style football catches, including one at Chattanooga that made ESPN's SportsCenter where he pinned a pass thrown short to the back of a defender and secured it with one hand. He scored a touchdown on the play.

Weaknesses:

Speed, he is likely to run in the mid 4.6 range at the combine/pro day. But he might run slower and a move to H-back simply because he doesn't have the height of a Ramses Barden type to stay at WR in the NFL. He caould also refine his cutting and accelerating out of his breaks.

Phoenix14News story on Hudgins signing with the 'Boys.

[UPDATE]: From Todd Archer's tweet:

Chet Teofilo, G, Cal - 6'3", 329

SI's PROFILE:

Positives: Highly considered offense lineman who struggled as a senior in 2009. Bends his knees, blocks with leverage, and keeps his feet moving. Immediately gets his hands into opponents, stays square, and jolts defenders with good hand punch. Makes solid use of blocking angles, and anchors at the point of attack. Fights hard throughout the action.

Negatives: Stiff, lacks balance and struggles to finish. Nonexistent as a senior and barely saw the field.

Analysis: Teofilo displayed flashes of ability after moving to the offensive line prior to his sophomore season. He has the size and skill to play in confined quarters at guard if he gets his game back on track.

[UPDATE II]: From NFL.com:

Will Barker, RT, Virginia - 6'7", 320

SI PROFILE:

Positives: King-sized position blocker best in a small area. Blocks with good lean, a wide base, and stays square. Patient in pass protection, effectively gets his hands into defenders, and easily moves them from their angle of attack. Makes good use of angles, displays solid awareness, and keeps his feet moving. Controls defenders once engaged in a block and rarely gives up an inch.

Negatives: Exploited by speed rushers, struggles with his footwork and cannot slide off the edge. Rumbles about the field and ineffective in motion. Gets lazy with his hands and will do a bit of leaning on opponents.

Analysis: Barker has been a durable lineman at Virginia and possesses the size to play at the next level. He's a limited athlete with marginal upside yet could be an effective backup on the strong side if he improves his strength and learns to consistently block with proper fundamentals.

Hat tip to Key19 for the FanPost.

[UPDATE III]: Rashaun Greer, WR, Colorado St. - 6'0", 200

SI PROFILE:

Positives: Productive possession receiver with marginal upside for the next level. Extends his hands, offers the quarterback a big target, and uses his frame to box out defenders. Gets up and fights for the reception, possesses good eye/hand coordination, and wins out in battles. Adjusts to the errant throw then looks the ball into his hands.

Negatives: Does not display naturally soft hands and unnecessarily lets the pass get inside him, doing too much body catching. Slows into routes, gets choppy footed and struggles to separate from defenders. One speed receiver who does not beat opponents vertically.

Analysis: Greer looked as though he had the makings of a potential fifth receiver on the NFL level after his junior season, yet his play slid back last season. He must play extremely well in camp this summer from the get go to have any chance of making a final roster.-

From BTB's site

E-Man
04-24-2010, 09:58 PM
Thanks for the updates D. You are definitely the man.

D-Unit
04-24-2010, 10:24 PM
Thanks. I like the teamwork too. Nice job pocketaces!

D-Unit
04-24-2010, 10:35 PM
We also got Barry Church! I think this guy might stick. Definitely thought he was a draftable player. I'm glad we found somebody to compete at SS. If it can't be Reshad Jones, then Barry Church will have to do. :p

http://media.scout.com/Media/Image/80/805223.jpg

UTPATS
04-24-2010, 10:36 PM
This is the best group of fans out there! Damnn proud to be a Cowboys' fan!

D-Unit
04-24-2010, 10:46 PM
This is the best group of fans out there! Damnn proud to be a Cowboys' fan!
Our niche is that we have a close knit family-like group of guys who all have a mind of their own. We have our fair share of spats like any family does... but we are very forgiving. Even banned guys find their way back, because we really don't hold grudges... as Bob can atest. lol. There are much MUCH bigger Dallas fanbase forums, but our little team forum is perfect for a guy me who doesn't want to sift through 20 new threads a day on topics that don't deserve their own threads, or topics that are repetitive. We welcome new posters anytime and try to treat them "as one of the guys" from the get go.

D-Unit
04-24-2010, 10:53 PM
lgxa5UZ_HpU

kinda feel bad for him that he didn't get drafted.

Im_a_Romosexual
04-24-2010, 11:02 PM
Like Barry Church a lot. 4 time 1st team MAC IIRC

edit: any decent kickers left?

D-Unit
04-25-2010, 03:17 AM
Sooo... as far as I've been following...

Lonyae Miller, RB, Fresno St.
Matt Nichols, QB, Eastern Washington
Terrell Hudgins, WR, Elon
Chris Gronkowski, FB, Arizona
Phil Costa, C/OG, Maryland
Bryan McCann, CB/KR, SMU
Will Barker, OT, Virginia
Barry Church, S, Toledo
Danny McCray, S, LSU
Rashaun Greer, WR, Colorado St.
Chet Teofilo, OG, Cal
Junior Aumavae, NT, Minnesota St.-Mankato 6-2, 328

STOKED ABOUT AUMAVAE!!! THERE'S MY NOSE TACKLE BOYZZZZ!!!

http://www.northernsun.org/sportpics/MSU_Aumavae_Junior.jpg
http://www.msumavericks.com/images/2009/11/9/rp_primary_Aumavae_II_vs._Bemidji_State.JPG

Trogdor
04-25-2010, 11:27 AM
Meh. I think we found another penetrating NT in Lissemore.

Similiar size as Ratliff and moves extremely well. The idea of having two disruptive, penetrating NTs and not losing that ability to blow plays up early has me drooling.

Don't get me wrong I like Aumavae as well but he's more of a standard 3-4 NT. =)

Need to take a look at Tony Washington he has some potential provided his much reported 'incident' is behind him. Very upset about Ciron Black signing with the Steelers... considered him one of the higher ceiling guard prospects =(

pocketaces
04-25-2010, 12:51 PM
the Dallas Cowboys have picked up two more undrafted free agents: Cal offensive tackle Mike Tepper and South Florida punter-kicker Delbert Alvarado.

Alvarado concentrated on punting the last two seasons and had a net average of 40.5 yards in 2009, As a freshman in 2006, he made a 56-yard field goal. He is likely a ``camp leg,'' brought in to protect punter Mat McBriar from over-extending himself as he returns from knee surgery.

Tepper is intriguing because of his size and experience. He is listed at 6 feet 7 and 319 pounds. Tepper moved to left tackle for Cal last season and played well enough in the new role to make first team all-PAC 10.

Per DMN

Go Cowboys
04-25-2010, 02:24 PM
Anyone here anything about Hunter Lawerence? I would like us to grab him just in case.

LonghornsLegend
04-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Dolphins signed Vince Oghobaase, what a great find. I would of loved a guy like him.

LonghornsLegend
04-25-2010, 05:12 PM
Anyone here anything about Hunter Lawerence? I would like us to grab him just in case.

Won't happen, as much as I'd like to. I don't think he was drafted but for some reason we took this guy instead: Delbert Alvarado, PK, South Florida

Don't know much about him atm.

herniateddisc
04-25-2010, 05:37 PM
Won't happen, as much as I'd like to. I don't think he was drafted but for some reason we took this guy instead: Delbert Alvarado, PK, South Florida

Don't know much about him atm.

Alvarado stinks.

thule
04-25-2010, 06:34 PM
Pretty sure we are going to use Alvarado as a extra leg as a punter for McBriar

Trogdor
04-25-2010, 08:25 PM
He's also another strong leg. He's hit a 56 yd FG in his career. My bet is also on him being a camp leg. But we've read from the start that Buehler will be given every shot to win the job but they also like Connor Hughes. If he can work himself back into the rhythm he had at UVA he'll give Buehler a run for his money for the placekicking duties.

JoeyHeisman
04-25-2010, 11:50 PM
Just learned that we signed UDFA Lorenzo Washington from Alabama. I'm a HUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGEEEE fan. I think he's going to stick with the team, at the very least as a practice squad player. The guy is nothing but motor and hustle.

LonghornsLegend
04-26-2010, 12:27 AM

Not sure I understand this, want to explain? A back-up punter? McBriar needs to be the only one punting the ball ever for us, and he's not really old at all.

Speaking of ST's, I hope all the work Buehler has done to become a FG kicker doesn't hinder his leg strength and the amount of touchbacks he had. That was truly a blessing for us the way he could boom a kickoff into the endzone, I don't want to ruin that. That aspect alone is worth a roster spot, he's the type of guy who can lead the league in touchbacks for a very long time and starting a team off on the 20 without any chance at a return is valuable.

thule
04-26-2010, 01:48 AM
Not sure I understand this, want to explain? A back-up punter? McBriar needs to be the only one punting the ball ever for us, and he's not really old at all.

Speaking of ST's, I hope all the work Buehler has done to become a FG kicker doesn't hinder his leg strength and the amount of touchbacks he had. That was truly a blessing for us the way he could boom a kickoff into the endzone, I don't want to ruin that. That aspect alone is worth a roster spot, he's the type of guy who can lead the league in touchbacks for a very long time and starting a team off on the 20 without any chance at a return is valuable.

We always bring in a camp leg to keep McBriar fresh...it's not to take his spot on the roster

herniateddisc
04-26-2010, 01:52 PM

So he is a fluffer.

Trogdor
04-26-2010, 06:49 PM
So he is a fluffer.

Yup. And the fact he can kick FGs only increases his fluffiness. :D He'll be extremely busy in rookie camp (only K/P) and then will act as a workload protector for Mcbriar, Buehler, and Hughes.

D-Unit
04-27-2010, 01:06 AM
http://www.msumavericks.com/images/2009/11/9/rp_primary_Aumavae_II_vs._Bemidji_State.JPG

I'm really pulling for Junior boy! He just got a 3 year deal from us. ... I dunno... How often do UDFAs get 3 year deals??? Good sign I think! :D

http://www.kens5.com/sports/92061909.html

bluebonnet78
04-27-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm really pulling for Junior boy! He just got a 3 year deal from us. ... I dunno... How often do UDFAs get 3 year deals??? Good sign I think! :D

I can't find much scouting info on the guy, but he definitely has that Casey Hampton like physique that seems ideal for NT. And A 3 year deal shows high interest in keeping him as a practice squad guy at the very least. As training camp unfolds, I'll be curious to see how things progress between him, Lissemore, and Siavii. We did pretty good finding a NT in the 7th round a few years back, so you never know.

Trogdor
04-27-2010, 11:35 AM
I can't find much scouting info on the guy, but he definitely has that Casey Hampton like physique that seems ideal for NT. And A 3 year deal shows high interest in keeping him as a practice squad guy at the very least. As training camp unfolds, I'll be curious to see how things progress between him, Lissemore, and Siavii. We did pretty good finding a NT in the 7th round a few years back, so you never know.

Yeah physically he is gifted. Provided he performs he should have a good shot at making the roster. Haven't been impressed with Siavii so here's to hoping we found a diamond in the rough to backup Ratliff.

Trogdor
04-27-2010, 01:50 PM
My favorite sleeper TE signed with us! :)

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02VO6nk423boj/610x.jpg

Cowboys | Scott Sicko agrees to terms
Comment (0) Tweet! Share on Facebook
Tue, 27 Apr 2010 10:21:17 -0400

Undrafted rookie free-agent TE Scott Sicko (New Hampshire) has agreed to terms with the Dallas Cowboys, reports agent J.R. Rickert via Twitter. Sicko has previously said he was done playing football after not being selected in the NFL Draft.

Read more: http://www.kffl.com/hotw/nfl#ixzz0mKKWemv4

Smart, athletic, and nice size (6-4 251 lbs). In his last three years at UNH he caught 158 passes for 1,995 yards and 23 touchdowns. Great hands and has potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo1fWhkzGk0 (bad quality sorry)

Couple mentions of him being a possible H-Back. We went after him extremely hard and kept after him even when he said he was going to hang his cleats up and continue his education (he's an extremely smart kid).

thule
04-27-2010, 02:47 PM
Yup. And the fact he can kick FGs only increases his fluffiness. :D He'll be extremely busy in rookie camp (only K/P) and then will act as a workload protector for Mcbriar, Buehler, and Hughes.

I don't buy that he'll be doing any place kicking for us. Buehler and Hughes will be all about the reps this offseason it's the same reason we aren't bringing in a veteran at this point.

TheFinisher
04-27-2010, 03:39 PM

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/02VO6nk423boj/610x.jpg

Smart, athletic, and nice size (6-4 251 lbs). In his last three years at UNH he caught 158 passes for 1,995 yards and 23 touchdowns. Great hands and has potential.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo1fWhkzGk0 (bad quality sorry)

Couple mentions of him being a possible H-Back. We went after him extremely hard and kept after him even when he said he was going to hang his cleats up and continue his education (he's an extremely smart kid).

Love this kid, I saw him play as a Junior. He's deceptively fast ( I believe he ran a low 4.5 on his pro day), with great hands and body control. He lined up a bit as a wideout at UNH as well so he's versatile. Interesting player to watch heading into camp.

D-Unit
04-27-2010, 04:30 PM
Yeah physically he is gifted. Provided he performs he should have a good shot at making the roster. Haven't been impressed with Siavii so here's to hoping we found a diamond in the rough to backup Ratliff.
Yeah Siavii has been underwhelming to say the least. He hasn't done enough to warrant a solid roster spot. I'm hoping some good competition will play out and that the best man will actually win it. Aumavae FTW!

D-Unit
04-27-2010, 04:35 PM
I dunno anything about that Sicko kid. But those are some impressive stats. As a #4 TE, I can't see why he couldn't make the team. Witten, Bennett and Phillips are the only locks. Question is... will we carry 4? We have in the past. This is where having your kicker do both FGs and Kickoffs pays off.

C'mon Buehler!!! Don't let us down!

I love Buehler... lead the lead in Touchbacks last year with 26. WooT!

M.O.T.H.
04-27-2010, 07:21 PM
Why would we carry 4 TEs? That'd just be a major waste. The only way he'd make the team is if he shows he can be a well-rounded enough H-Back, and push Deon Anderson off the roster. Pretty much what Harbor would have done. Bennett/Phillips line up back there a lot as well.

D-Unit
04-27-2010, 07:55 PM
Why would we carry 4 TEs? That'd just be a major waste. The only way he'd make the team is if he shows he can be a well-rounded enough H-Back, and push Deon Anderson off the roster. Pretty much what Harbor would have done. Bennett/Phillips line up back there a lot as well.
So you're saying that if they kept him on the roster (and it seems like they really do)... then they wouldn't line him up at TE? That that wouldn't be a position he ever played? C'mon man...

Sure, they'd have to make him a versatile player, but I'm sure he'd still be listed as a TE.

We run a lot of 2 TE sets... Having 4 on the roster isn't mind boggling.

As for Deon, I think the coaches soured on him towards the ending of last year. He was used less and less as the year progressed.

M.O.T.H.
04-28-2010, 06:05 AM
What I'm saying is his position would be undefined. I meant that we wouldnt keep 4 TEs and a FB. Sicko would have to play FB/TE. if we picked up Harbor he would have been an "H-Back" and Anderson would be off the team, same goes for Sicko.

Trogdor
04-28-2010, 06:52 AM
Cowboys, Montrae Holland Agree To 2-Year Deal

There's the veteran backup. From what I've heard thus far we plan on using Davis as the emergency swing tackle. I hate the idea of replacing two guys on the line (T and RG) rather than simply having a capable backup =/

As far as Sicko from everything I've seen from him he's perfectly capable of filling the H-back role. I think C. Gronk is going to give Deon Anderson enough of a competition in either case.

bluebonnet78
04-28-2010, 09:30 AM

looks like a nice pick up. for the sake of posting excessive info i looked up what CBS Sports has on him--a wonder he didn't get drafted at some point even if the draft was loaded at TE. -----

The 6-foot-4, 251-pound Sicko ran a 4.53 in the 40-yard dash, did 22 reps of 225lbs on the bench press, posted a 35-inch vertical jump and 10.2 broad jump. Those numbers would have placed him in the Top 10 in all four events among tight ends participating at the Scouting Combine last month. Sicko's 40 time and broad jump would have put him second only to Dickerson, who was the top performing tight end in Indianapolis... Sicko is coming off a tremendous senior season where he was the Wildcats' leading receiver with 57 catches for 725 yards and nine touchdown catches. "We were lucky to have some very good tight ends and Scott is as multiple as we have ever had as far as things we asked him to do," New Hampshire tight ends coach Brian Barbato said. "His adaptability from the blocking game to pass catching has been a great weapon for what we like to do on offense." Barbato added that Sicko is one of the best people he has ever met and a very coach-able kid.

D-Unit
04-28-2010, 11:22 AM
S Darren Sharper starting to make visits - Jags up first. Miami, Dallas, Washingtin could be possibilities. Saints want him back, too

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5142146

Go Cowboys
04-28-2010, 12:45 PM
S Darren Sharper starting to make visits - Jags up first. Miami, Dallas, Washingtin could be possibilities. Saints want him back, too

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5142146
That sounds like it would be pretty nice, he still can play some ball, proved that last year. Could be the ballhawking free safety that we have needed.

LonghornsLegend
04-28-2010, 12:48 PM
I'd love Sharper on a 2 year deal, and hope that by year two AOA is ready to challenge him for a spot. Sharper I think would be great for a year rental though. Let him and Ball battle it out, but he does great when he can roam and play deep centerfield.

I don't think Ball sucks, but I would absolutely love to bring in Sharper and see if he still has it. Good news is that if Jerry wants him, or wants an upgrade, I truly believe he'll outbid everyone to get him(which shouldn't be that much anyway). Saints may want him, but if they were paying anything decent he would have signed already.

Trogdor
04-28-2010, 05:16 PM
I'd love Sharper on a 2 year deal, and hope that by year two AOA is ready to challenge him for a spot. Sharper I think would be great for a year rental though. Let him and Ball battle it out, but he does great when he can roam and play deep centerfield.

I don't think Ball sucks, but I would absolutely love to bring in Sharper and see if he still has it. Good news is that if Jerry wants him, or wants an upgrade, I truly believe he'll outbid everyone to get him(which shouldn't be that much anyway). Saints may want him, but if they were paying anything decent he would have signed already.

All of that. Except I think Ball is too 'safe'. He plays as deep as Hamlin did. Everything has to be in front of him and while he won't get torched every often he will almost never make a play either. I would love Sharper on a 2 year deal... I just believe he's looking for his last payday and will be looking for more years.

ricowboy
04-28-2010, 09:20 PM
So you're saying that if they kept him on the roster (and it seems like they really do)... then they wouldn't line him up at TE? That that wouldn't be a position he ever played? C'mon man...

Sure, they'd have to make him a versatile player, but I'm sure he'd still be listed as a TE.

We run a lot of 2 TE sets... Having 4 on the roster isn't mind boggling.

As for Deon, I think the coaches soured on him towards the ending of last year. He was used less and less as the year progressed.

I would not be surprised to see the staff feature Bennett in the preseason for a trade. If Sicko is as good as advertised. Being from the northeast and hearing the rumblings from NH, the kid is a player! Drafting Dez, emergance of Ogletree and Phillips has made Bennett very expendable with the talent at WR and TE. At WR we have Dez, Miles, RW, Crayton, Ogletree and Hurd. That is pretty deep! At TE we have Witten, Bennett, Phillips and Sicko. The depth is a nice problem to figure out!