PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Rivlary in the NFL?

Ravens1991
08-25-2009, 10:34 PM
What 2 teams share the biggest rivlary in the NFL? There are some big ones like Ravens VS. Steelers, Colts VS. Pats, Cowboys VS. Eagles.

I would say Ravens. VS. Steelers but I am biased, so what two teams do you think have the biggest rivlary in the NFL?

d34ng3l021
08-25-2009, 10:49 PM
NFC East games probably.

Colts-Pats will always be epic though because its a showdown of 2 of the best QBs...ever (2006 AFCCG epic game). I thought the Broncos and Chargers were going to start a great rivalry between Cutler and Rivers, but we all know what happened there (maybe cutler-rodgers? throw in some stafford?).

trkaline
08-25-2009, 10:50 PM
What 2 teams share the biggest rivlary in the NFL? There are some big ones like Ravens VS. Steelers, Colts VS. Pats, Cowboys VS. Eagles.

I would say Ravens. VS. Steelers but I am biased, so what two teams do you think have the biggest rivlary in the NFL?

The only non-biased answer would have to come from a fan of neither of those teams, because the hatred you feel for you rival is so great that it will make your rivalry seem the biggest...

Thumper
08-25-2009, 10:52 PM
Giants-Eagles is huge.

yodabear
08-25-2009, 10:53 PM
Rams-49ers.......

Crickets.

Brent
08-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Rams-49ers
it's at least one of the oldest...

I'd say Eagles-Cowboys.

the decider13
08-25-2009, 10:58 PM
Broncos v Raiders, that is the only possible answer. Any of your rival games have angry snowball throwing with the rival team? No? Didn't think so.

I think the NFC east probably has the best ones, I really enjoy Eagles v Cowboys and Giants v Cowboys. Packers v Bears/Vikings is pretty good too.

traced
08-25-2009, 11:01 PM
The first game of the season: Bears vs. Packers...

senormysterioso
08-25-2009, 11:05 PM
This season at least, it's gotta be Vikings vs. Packers, with Favre going back to Lambeau for the first time and everything

trkaline
08-25-2009, 11:07 PM
The first game of the season: Bears vs. Packers...

I think for the next one to two seasons Packers-Vikes is going to be the bigger rivalry in that division.

PACKmanN
08-25-2009, 11:21 PM
I dont care what anyone has to say, its the Packers vs. Bears.

trkaline
08-25-2009, 11:34 PM

And I think Ravens-Steelers.

Brothgar
08-25-2009, 11:37 PM
Eagles Cowboys.
49ers Cowboys is another great one.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-25-2009, 11:48 PM
I think the biggest right now is the Ravens vs Steelers. Every game is nasty and full of hatred. There might be some rivals that have been around longer but I don't think any of them have the intesity as our rivalry.

aNYtitan
08-25-2009, 11:51 PM
Ravens vs. Steelers as of recently. Two teams that build around an impressive defense and a stout running game

TACKLE
08-26-2009, 12:01 AM
I think the best rivalries in the NFL are the one's in a given era between the two top dogs in the division. In the 70's, the Raiders and Steelers was an amazing rivalry becuase they were battling it out every year to see who would go to the Super Bowl. Same with the Cowboys and 49ers in the 90's and the Patriots and Colts in the 2000's. The Steelers and Ravens seem to have a rivalry like that starting. Although those rivalries may not having the same staying power as others, they are the best and most intense while they last.

Michigan
08-26-2009, 12:16 AM
Ravens-Steelers has recently been the most fun rivalry to watch. You can feel the intensity and passion on every play.

falloutboy14
08-26-2009, 12:16 AM
I'll cast my vote with Ravens v Steelers as the present favorite

2 years ago it was the Pats Colts. But I don't think it'll return to that. There are more great QBs in the league now (Brees, Warner, Rivers, Roethlisberger specifically) that the Pats Colts don't have the same luster anymore.

PS: Imagine if the league never added the Texans, and the Colts were still in the AFC east. That would have been epic.

Ravens1991
08-26-2009, 12:33 AM
I searched best NFL rivlaries and this came up

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/article/2009-05-16/ravens-steelers-moves-top-nfl-rivalries

also a good link about the history of the Ravens-Steelers rivlary

http://www.afc-north.com/rivalry/pitbal.html

ThePudge
08-26-2009, 01:10 AM
Surprised to see so many on the Steelers-Ravens bandwagon right now. Back in 2005, I remember when Steelers-Bengals was being touted as the AFC next great rivalry. The Ravens erratic nature (2005: 6-10, 2006: 13-3, 2007: 5-11, 2008: 13-3) has somewhat discredited this rivalry to me as it really takes its dips and probably peaked last season. Hell, up to last season the Bengals had taken 6 of 7 from the Ravens.

I think in the past half-decade nothing tops the Colts-Patriots rivalry in the AFC. Since 2003, the two have played three times in the playoffs and every year in the regular season. The Patriots won two out of three of the playoff matchups; I should mention that the winning team won the Super Bowl after each of those playoff victories. The regular season series since 03' is 3-3. Six out of nine of those games were separated by a touchdown or less, including the last four.

Eagles-Cowboys is as spirited a rivalry as ever. Any Eagles fan from Philly knows that there is no greater joy than beating the Cowboys twice and no greater shame than losing to Dallas in Philly. A deep hatred for Dallas is ingrained at birth and respect for "America's team" is lost on the city of Philadelphia. Though the Giants may be a more competitive rival in the present day, a bigger threat in almost every way, the rivalry remains strongest against Dallas. It's a mindset and hatred unlike any other. I am a diehard Bengals fan with very little hometown bias or even a soft spot in my heart for the Eagles, but the exposure and first-hand experience in this rivalry is not lost on me. Dallas-Philly will be the premier rivalry to true Philadelphians.

In the NFC, I don't have a whole lot of respect for any rivalry outside of the NFC East where Eagles-Cowboys, Redskins-Cowboys, and Eagles-Giants are all very good. Packers-Bears has some great history, but as of late has been hit or miss.

In the AFC, I like quite a few. Patriots-Colts is my favorite. The AFC West is too erratic year to year to even establish a great rivalry at this time. I think Colts-Titans is a good one right now with their contrasting styles. In the AFC North, right now it's Ravens-Steelers, but as I said in 2005 and 2006 it was Bengals-Steelers.

Any historians or Browns homers that want to say Browns-Steelers is still a great rivalry have to look at the facts... The Browns haven't beaten the Steelers since 2003 and are a grand total of 3-18 against their arch nemesis since their re-inception in 1999. Chiefs-Raiders is another great historical series cloaked by mediocrity in the past five to seven years.

YAYareaRB
08-26-2009, 01:54 AM
I don't think there's any games out there that can raise a crime rate quite like the Battle of the Bay.

JT Jag
08-26-2009, 03:05 AM
Jaguars-Steelers has cooled some ever since the realignment, but honestly I can't think of any other rivalry in the NFL that produces great games as consistently as matchups between those two teams.

KCJ58
08-26-2009, 03:31 AM
Indy Vs. NE i always love that matchup

stephenson86
08-26-2009, 05:47 AM
right at this moment its got to be packers vikings

OzTitan
08-26-2009, 06:07 AM
Not sure about the biggest rivalry in the NFL, a few equals to choose from.

But the Steelers are easily the most quoted team when talking rivalries. At least for the AFC. It seems almost every AFC team has some claim to rights as the Steeler's biggest rival. Something the team and fans should be proud of.

bigbluedefense
08-26-2009, 09:47 AM
The entire NFC East.

Bears vs Packers

Chiefs vs Raiders

awfullyquiet
08-26-2009, 09:57 AM
really. not mentioning the definition of rivalry in packers/bears... dear OP, is a cardinal sin.

gtfo.

over the course of history, it is the NFL equivalent (as a whole through pre 60's too) of yankees-red sox... and goes back almost as far... sure... you can all look and say 'what is the series been like the past 5 years'... but rivalries aren't that... rivalries go back to your parents generation. the deep bitter rivalry that you can't break... how, if i meet a packers fan, first thing you do is scoff at them and call them a cheese-breather... it's natural because it's so deep seated... skins/cowboys is relatively new compared to bears/pack...

tjsunstein
08-26-2009, 10:02 AM
As of late, it has been the NFC East vs. the NFC East. They're always entertaining and seem to dominate the media on Sundays. Bears - Packers is definitely up there but if we're talking about right here, right now. Biggest rivalry has to be Vikings - Packers because of the storyline.

bigbluedefense
08-26-2009, 10:02 AM
really. not mentioning the definition of rivalry in packers/bears... dear OP, is a cardinal sin.

gtfo.

over the course of history, it is the NFL equivalent (as a whole through pre 60's too) of yankees-red sox... and goes back almost as far... sure... you can all look and say 'what is the series been like the past 5 years'... but rivalries aren't that... rivalries go back to your parents generation. the deep bitter rivalry that you can't break... how, if i meet a packers fan, first thing you do is scoff at them and call them a cheese-breather... it's natural because it's so deep seated... skins/cowboys is relatively new compared to bears/pack...

All the old school teams are the league's true rivalries. Bears/Giants go way back too.

Id say that Packers/Bears and the NFC East are the 2 deepest rivalries.

tjsunstein
08-26-2009, 10:08 AM
All the old school teams are the league's true rivalries. Bears/Giants go way back too.

Id say that Packers/Bears and the NFC East are the 2 deepest rivalries.

Raiders - Chiefs was once a big rivalry but neither seem to be able to finish over .500 on a consistent basis.

awfullyquiet
08-26-2009, 10:10 AM
Biggest rivalry has to be Vikings - Packers because of the storyline.

That i'll agree with...

When they broke up the conferences... it screwed everything up though IMO... I miss hating on the bucs and the saints...

bigbluedefense
08-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Raiders - Chiefs was once a big rivalry but neither seem to be able to finish over .500 on a consistent basis.

they still and always will hate each other though. I think if we're talking recent, you made a great suggestion that Packers/Vikings will be the main one this year.

Colts/Pats, the NFC East, Steelers/Ravens, Pats/Jets. It used to be Denver/SD when Cutler was still in town.

tjsunstein
08-26-2009, 10:19 AM
they still and always will hate each other though. I think if we're talking recent, you made a great suggestion that Packers/Vikings will be the main one this year.

Colts/Pats, the NFC East, Steelers/Ravens, Pats/Jets. It used to be Denver/SD when Cutler was still in town.

I love watching Colts - Patriots because of the magnitude of the game. It's always an important, well thought out, well played game where one mistake may be the game.

FlyingElvis
08-26-2009, 10:20 AM
The answer is definitely a moving target historically. Plenty of good ones have been mentioned and it almost always involves the dominant teams of their respective times.

Following that logic, the current best rivalry has to be . . .

Patriots Colts until Brady & Manning start to fade. Two of the most dominant teams over the last 1/2 decade (or more) and two QBs who will forever be entangled in epic GOAT arguments.

Splat
08-26-2009, 10:22 AM
I see Chiefs vs Denver as more of a rivalry now a days then Chiefs vs Raiders that being said the Div is so bad its hard to throw any of them in this topic.

bigbluedefense
08-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I love watching Colts - Patriots because of the magnitude of the game. It's always an important, well thought out, well played game where one mistake may be the game.

yeah, i love it. the chess match between Peyton and Bellichick is so enjoyable to watch.

Splat
08-26-2009, 10:26 AM
The chess match between Peyton Manning and Ray Lewis is always fun to watch as well.

Gay Ork Wang
08-26-2009, 10:27 AM
I wonder what will happen with Chicago vs Denver

Brent
08-26-2009, 10:30 AM
I wonder what will happen with Chicago vs Denver
Kyle Orton looks longingly at the Bears sideline and sheds a tiny, single tear.

BmoreBlackByrdz
08-26-2009, 10:31 AM
As a Raven fan, I love to see Baltimore and Pittsburgh go at it, but I gatta admit, Indy and New England is awesome in there own right. Baltimore and Pittsburgh is for the hard nosed, tough guys who love old school down to the wire football, and Indy and New England is for those who love high scoring finesse football.

LizardState
08-26-2009, 10:35 AM
This is a really old school rivalry: Cowboys - 49ers. Both have 5 Lombardi Trophies, both have enjoyed dominance of their divisions & Conference, then decline, then comebacks. Both have had coaching dynasties spanning an entire generation, & it dates back to the Tom Landry & pre-Bill Walsh eras, good times.

I also like the Art Modell rivalry, Browns vs. Ravens. Their 1st yr. in B-more the Ravens were just the transplanted Browns in new unis, they've evolved into their own team, still no love lost with Cleveland.

Same thing with the Texans vs. Titans sibling rivalry, the Bud Adams rivalry in the AFC South. The Titans croaked the name & legacy of the the Houston Oilers (kept most of the Oilers colors but new logo) when they moved the whole thing to Nashville b/c the Astrodome was the 1st dome & aged badly, greedhead a-hole Adams made millions on the move. The Titans have dominated their games, Houston has gradually improved from the expansion franchise cellar-dweller, never posted a winning season (8-8 is as good as it got for them). Titans were the hottest team in the NFL last season.

gsorace
08-26-2009, 10:45 AM
Once upon a time it was Redskins - Cowboys

Smooth Criminal
08-26-2009, 11:04 AM
Steelers/Ravens is alot better than it looks on paper. Most people hate that team like the Browns knowing that that is the franchise that came from Cleveland. That was a team you could actually hate.

Pittsburgh fans don't care about Cleveland. Havnt lost to them since 03.

drowe
08-26-2009, 12:08 PM
you'd just have to live here, but being a resident of Green Bay, I can attest to both the Packer/Bears and Packers/Vikings rivalries being beyond intense.

The week leading up to any of these 4 games is indescribable. like i said, you'd have to live here, but for those 4 weeks there is legit tension in the air. everyone in WI knows at least a couple Bears fans and/or at least a couple Viking fans. and for that week, it's like ya have to be careful with everything you say. any instance of misspeaking can result in a week long, heated debate. Ya almost have to be up for it. Like, make a consious decision on monday whether ya want to live and breathe NFC North football for a week, or just hang out on the sidelines and wait for the game to start.

Either way, by sunday night, it's either euphoria or straight up depression.

yourfavestoner
08-26-2009, 12:19 PM
Packers-Bears, easily.

Jakey
08-26-2009, 12:20 PM
I personally love wathing the Ravens and The Steelers go at it...the injury report after those games are always rediculous. Gotta love a hard hitting game like that.

Also the Vikings and the Packers is gonna be intense this year...cant wait to see that! :)

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-26-2009, 12:24 PM
you'd just have to live here, but being a resident of Green Bay, I can attest to both the Packer/Bears and Packers/Vikings rivalries being beyond intense.

The week leading up to any of these 4 games is indescribable. like i said, you'd have to live here, but for those 4 weeks there is legit tension in the air. everyone in WI knows at least a couple Bears fans and/or at least a couple Viking fans. and for that week, it's like ya have to be careful with everything you say. any instance of misspeaking can result in a week long, heated debate. Ya almost have to be up for it. Like, make a consious decision on monday whether ya want to live and breathe NFC North football for a week, or just hang out on the sidelines and wait for the game to start.

Either way, by sunday night, it's either euphoria or straight up depression.

Anyone can say "you just have to live here" about there rival. I mean Baltimore is ridiculous when we have a Steelers game coming up. I know I am pumped and would dare to see a Steelers fan during that week. I know our rival with the Steelers hasn't been around that long but these are teams that hate each other with a passion. All I want to see when we play the Steelers is Big Ben get trashed(Like when Bart Scott drilled him on the blindside). I have never been to Pittsburgh but I am sure it is crazy there as well. Man I am kind of pissed both our games our so late in the season. I can remember feeling exhausted after WATCHING each game last season. That is how intense those games are

drowe
08-26-2009, 12:33 PM
coincidentally, i just got a phone call.

some farmer had a goat (love any story that starts that way, right?). so, this farmer dyes the goat purple and gold and shaves the #4 in it right before taking it in to be butchered.

I am currently opperating at some cosmic combination of being a proud packer fan and wanting to move somewhere far away where livestock isn't sacrificed in the name of a middle-aged man wearing a different color shirt.

Paul
08-26-2009, 01:13 PM
I actually hate the 49ers more then I do any other team in the NFC East. It should have been a 4-peat :(. But that's just me.

TACKLE
08-26-2009, 01:18 PM
I actually hate the 49ers more then I do any other team in the NFC East. It should have been a 4-peat :(. But that's just me.

Cowboys-49ers rivalry was so intense in the 90's.

DHVF
08-26-2009, 01:29 PM

some farmer had a goat (love any story that starts that way, right?). so, this farmer dyes the goat purple and gold and shaves the #4 in it right before taking it in to be butchered.

I am currently opperating at some cosmic combination of being a proud packer fan and wanting to move somewhere far away where livestock isn't sacrificed in the name of a middle-aged man wearing a different color shirt.
Oh god, don't mention that. It happened in my hometown Tires Plus. :( Goddamn packer fans.

TitleTown088
08-26-2009, 01:42 PM
Truth.

Most people will answer with a homer one, and it would appear so, but history is on your side with this one.

I find it difficult to put the Ravens in a biggest rivalry considering they've only been around since, what? 1996?

TitleTown088
08-26-2009, 01:49 PM

http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2009-08-25-favre-goat_N.htm

crazy lady.

jsa230
08-26-2009, 01:50 PM
chicago v. green bay /thread

drowe
08-26-2009, 01:51 PM
I find it difficult to put the Ravens in a biggest rivalry considering they've only been around since, what? 1996?

oh crap.

you realized you probably just started a 2 page argument about whether the original version of the browns count as the ravens franchise or if the ravens are technically an expansion team.

tjsunstein
08-26-2009, 01:52 PM

They were the most dominant teams in the NFC, early 90's. No one was even close.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-26-2009, 01:53 PM
Truth.

Most people will answer with a homer one, and it would appear so, but history is on your side with this one.

As I said before there are plenty of rivalries that have been around longer but you can't deny the fact when the Ravens/Steelers play it is insane. I think our rivalry will be around for a long time and will eventually have the history as others. As of now I go Ravens/Steelers but if you are going by history than yea teams like Packers/Bears.

tjsunstein
08-26-2009, 01:55 PM
http://www.usatoday.com/news/offbeat/2009-08-25-favre-goat_N.htm

crazy lady.

That's awful.

AJHawk50
08-26-2009, 02:49 PM
I would say, Chiefs vs. Raiders...or Packer vs. Bears/Vikings. The post is biggest rivalry in the NFL, if you are saying TODAY then I would say Vikings/Packers, if you are saying OVERALL I would say the Packers/Bears.

Brent
08-26-2009, 02:53 PM
In the 80's it was just as intense. There used to be a Niners/Giants rivalry in the last 80's early 90's, too. Bears-Niners in the 80's was intense as well.

TACKLE
08-26-2009, 03:03 PM
Raiders-Steelers in the 70's was a great one too.

TitleTown088
08-26-2009, 03:34 PM
As I said before there are plenty of rivalries that have been around longer but you can't deny the fact when the Ravens/Steelers play it is insane. I think our rivalry will be around for a long time and will eventually have the history as others. As of now I go Ravens/Steelers but if you are going by history than yea teams like Packers/Bears.
Packers/Bears is every bit as intense as Steelers/ravens, if not more. It's been around for much longer.

Cheifs/ Raiders and NFC East are better I would say as well.

TACKLE
08-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Packers/Bears is every bit as intense as Steelers/ravens, if not more. It's been around for much longer.

Cheifs/ Raiders and NFC East are better I would say as well.

I don't understand why people think that the Packers/Bears is the best rivalry in the NFL. I get that they've played each other for so many years. But they've never really been great during the same times. The Packers were great in the 60's and the 90's. The Bears were bad during those times. The Bears were good in the 80's and the Packers were not. It's never really been where the Bears and the Pack are the best two teams and its a battle to see who win win the conference. In fact they've only ever met one time in the playoffs and that was in 1941. I'm sorry to Packer and Bear fans but their hasn't been that many huge, significant games to call that the NFL's best rivalry.

yodabear
08-26-2009, 04:17 PM
That's awful.

Winona, MN FTMFW!

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-26-2009, 04:28 PM
I don't understand why people think that the Packers/Bears is the best rivalry in the NFL. I get that they've played each other for so many years. But they've never really been great during the same times. The Packers were great in the 60's and the 90's. The Bears were bad during those times. The Bears were good in the 80's and the Packers were not. It's never really been where the Bears and the Pack are the best two teams and its a battle to see who win win the conference. In fact they've only ever met one time in the playoffs and that was in 1941. I'm sorry to Packer and Bear fans but their hasn't been that many huge, significant games to call that the NFL's best rivalry.

Well if all that is true then Bears/Packers are out of the conversation.

iowatreat54
08-26-2009, 04:36 PM
If Bears/Packers are out, Ravens/Steelers are out.

Since when does not being top tier at the same time = bad rivalry. The Ravens have been around for 12 years. How on Earth can you say that they qualify in a bigger rivalry than two of the oldest members of professional football? It's not like when one is good, the other is the worst team in the league. Just because both teams don't make the playoffs doesn't mean they suck.

Oh, and they haven't played eachother in the playoffs since 1941? Good info, considering in the Super Bowl era, more than one team per division could make the playoffs only since 1990, when the wild card was introduced. So yea, in 19 years they haven't faced eachother in the playoffs, but I didn't realize facing eachother in the playoffs means you can't have a rivalry.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-26-2009, 04:56 PM
I am not saying Packers/Bears isn't a big rivalry I am just saying right NOW Ravens/Pittsburgh is bigger.

iowatreat54
08-26-2009, 04:59 PM
I am not saying Packers/Bears isn't a big rivalry I am just saying right NOW Ravens/Pittsburgh is bigger.

Well I took you saying, "Bears/Packers are out of the conversation" as meaning overall, not just now.

As to the originating question, Bears/Packers is head and shoulders a bigger rivalry than Ravens/Steelers and it isn't even close. Right now, that isn't true, but as for an overall rivalry, Bears/Packers is like 100 tiers above Ravens/Steelers.

Dam8610
08-26-2009, 05:01 PM
There's a reason Colts-Pats always gets the primetime matchup during sweeps for the NFL.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-26-2009, 05:07 PM
Well I took you saying, "Bears/Packers are out of the conversation" as meaning overall, not just now.

As to the originating question, Bears/Packers is head and shoulders a bigger rivalry than Ravens/Steelers and it isn't even close. Right now, that isn't true, but as for an overall rivalry, Bears/Packers is like 100 tiers above Ravens/Steelers.

I agree completely. That is why I went out of my way to say they are a bigger rival right NOW. I know we(Ravens) are still a young team so there are plenty of rivals that would be considered bigger. I just think if the Bears/Packers were to play tommorow and the Ravens/Steelers played at the same time more people would watch the Ravens/Steelers.

Smooth Criminal
08-26-2009, 05:08 PM
Truth.

Sure they changed names, but the team and the hate has been there back since their Cleveland days. To most people, the Steelers/Browns rivalry turned into Steelers/Ravens the day they moved.

Smooth Criminal
08-26-2009, 05:09 PM
There's a reason Colts-Pats always gets the primetime matchup during sweeps for the NFL.

Yea, they draw tv ratings and have marketable players.

iowatreat54
08-26-2009, 05:10 PM
I agree completely. That is why I went out of my way to say they are a bigger rival right NOW. I know we(Ravens) are still a young team so there are plenty of rivals that would be considered bigger. I just think if the Bears/Packers were to play tommorow and the Ravens/Steelers played at the same time more people would watch the Ravens/Steelers.

I absolutely agree. I wasn't really quoting posts, but my comments were more toward Tackle who was downplaying the Bears/Packers rivalry as often meaningless games, and then your response of it being out of the conversation which I mistook as meaning overall, since Tackle was talking about overall rivalry.

As of late, Ravens/Steelers has been more relevant, but hopefully that changes. :)

TitanHope
08-26-2009, 05:16 PM
I just think if the Bears/Packers were to play tommorow and the Ravens/Steelers played at the same time more people would watch the Ravens/Steelers.

Even after the Cutler signing? Rodgers vs Cutler could be very good in the future. There's already debate on who's the better QB.

Plus, if there were a Bears/Packers, Steelers/Ravens, and Colts/Patriots game playing simultaneously, I'd say that the Colts/Patriots game gets higher ratings and more buzz leading up to it. All are great rivalries though, and intensity is subjective.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-26-2009, 05:21 PM
Even after the Cutler signing? Rodgers vs Cutler could be very good in the future. There's already debate on who's the better QB.

Plus, if there were a Bears/Packers, Steelers/Ravens, and Colts/Patriots game playing simultaneously, I'd say that the Colts/Patriots game gets higher ratings and more buzz leading up to it. All are great rivalries though, and intensity is subjective.

Yea I agree. Colts/Pats would get more views but not because of the intensity of the rivalry but because of the explosive offense you would see from both teams. People like high scoring more than good defense for some reason.

BmoreBlackByrdz
08-26-2009, 05:25 PM
wow, very little mention of the Cowboys and Redskins, isn't that a HUGE rivalry?

throwback54milkman
08-26-2009, 05:28 PM
I love Jets - Pats but they always kick our butts

TitanHope
08-26-2009, 05:33 PM
Yea I agree. Colts/Pats would get more views but not because of the intensity of the rivalry but because of the explosive offense you would see from both teams. People like high scoring more than good defense for some reason.

I disagree. I think if you polled football fans on whether or not they like smash-mouth football or shoot-out football, smash-mouth would win.

Colts-Pats has two 1st ballot HoF QB's facing off. Tom Brady has just recently broken Manning's single season TD record. The history between the two teams have matched up NFL posterboy Tony Dungy vs NFL villain Bill Belichick, and the winner of the games, especially in the postseason, has had Super Bowl implications. They're the two most successful teams this decade. Not to mention, they both used to be in the old AFC East, so they used to have division rivalry, and that still lingers. There's plenty of depth and intensity there.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-26-2009, 05:43 PM
I just don't see it being a rivalry like the Ravens/Steelers who are fighting for the division every year. I can only remember 2 games last year that was as intense as the Steelers/Ravens games(3) and those were the 2 against the Titans

tjsunstein
08-26-2009, 05:46 PM

Colts - Patriots would get the tv time over the other two because of recent success. Patriots vs. anyone but the Lions would get the call because the NFL is on the Patriots jock plus they're marketable. Everyone wants to watch the best, and that's what the Patriots are. Those two teams combine for 4 of the last 8 Super Bowl winners. Not to mention the story line that would carry. Brady vs. Manning. It has the most appeal right now to the casual fan. Two of the best teams in the AFC squaring up.

I would admit that the Bears/ Packers game would be the last one to get the call of those three. Only because of what has been stated earlier in this post and the "rematch" marketability (word?) of the Ravens/Steelers game from last year's playoffs.

Any time a team plays 175 times or more then they are instantly a bigger rivalry then two teams that so happen to meet in the playoffs and every now and then in the regular season (Colts-Patriots). Plus, the Bears and Packers are in the same division. Those games are instantly more intense and filled with more hatred. Believe it or not, even though the Packers were dominant in the beginning of the merger, the Bears lead the series. Oh, and the number of hall of famers that played in this rivalry against each other trumphs every other rivalry out there.

I am however surprised at the lack of mention of the Redskins and Cowboys. They have 8 super bowls between them. I think that's more than any other rivalry. Guess who they had to go through to get them at the time? Each other.

Bucs_Rule
08-26-2009, 05:56 PM
Last season Ravens/Steelers was the biggest, but they weren't really big before that. They were rivals, but you need to be competing against eachother for division crown or homefield advantage. I can't say one is the biggest based on just one season.

I'd say Colts/Pats. They have had a great rivarly for so many years. They had a down year last season, but both finished with atleast 11 wins and Brady was injured.

7-11
08-26-2009, 05:58 PM
The chess match between Peyton Manning and Ray Lewis is always fun to watch as well.

You think so? Peyton Manning has consistently handled Baltimore in the last few years. Manning v Belichick always provides much more entertaining battles.

TitanHope
I just don't see it being a rivalry like the Ravens/Steelers who are fighting for the division every year. I can only remember 2 games last year that was as intense as the Steelers/Ravens games(3) and those were the 2 against the Titans

Ravens/Titans ain't no joke, though! We hate you guys! ;)

Actually, in the first pre-game meeting for the regular season game, Keith Bulluck yelled out "We f**king hate these guys!" :D

I posted this in the AFC South forum a while back: http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AnaMLUrzlHSNCYDki4H97saE2bYF?slug=ravens steelersmovestotop&prov=tsn&type=lgns

What makes a great NFL rivalry? Familiarity, intensity, passion and good old-fashioned hatred are all key elements. The payoff, however, comes in the two teams involved combining to play consistently great football.

Tradition plays a big part, but over the years new rivalries evolve while old ones dissolve. Classics such as Bears-Packers and Cowboys-Redskins now have a different feel. Others, such as Chiefs-Raiders, 49ers-Rams and Bengals-Browns, recently have lacked luster because neither team has performed at a high level.

Here, then, are the top 10 NFL rivalries going into the 2009 season, based on competitiveness and compelling storylines:

1. Baltimore Ravens vs. Pittsburgh Steelers
In retirement, John Madden didn't leave us with enough onomatopoeia to describe all the hard-hitting, head-snapping, clock-cleaning and slobber-knocking that happens when Baltimore and Pittsburgh trade blows. The NFL's most visceral rivalry isn't for the faint of heart, stomach, mind or body. This is physical football at its best.

The defenses fly around smacking everything, but the offenses also have enough tough personalities to stand up and fight for every extra yard. Two players who come to mind immediately are Ravens linebacker Ray Lewis(notes) and Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward(notes).

The teams clearly are the class of the AFC North, and playing each other three times a season might become a habit.

2. Indianapolis Colts vs. New England Patriots
This has become the NFL's most anticipated matchup. The window for both teams to win another Super Bowl with their current core groups is closingómaybe more so for Indianapolisówhich should add desperation to the usual intensity of this game.

It also helps that Tom Brady(notes) will be back to duel with Peyton Manning(notes), and the '09 game will be in the controlled environment of Lucas Oil Stadium. The best games in the series tend to be played at Indy. This year's big twist is Jim Caldwell taking over as coach Bill Belichick's counterpart.

Don't plan anything for Nov. 15, because this year's prime-time game follows Packers-Cowboys.

3. NFC East vs. NFC East
Again, just naming Dallas-Washington from this division would be unfair. All six round-robin rivalries involving the Cowboys, Eagles, Giants and Redskins have been awesome of late as the NFC East features the league's most competitive quartet.

It's not just the unpredictable games that seem to turn on one or two plays, it's also four high-profile ownerships that wage their war with aggressive signings, drafts and trades. These owners have deep pockets and are passionate about winning. Each franchise also has huge fan bases and high-profile players and coaches.

It all makes for compelling competition, good enough to get the best time-slot treatment from Fox and NBC.

4. New York Jets vs. New England Patriots
This will be considerably different without the potential for Belichick sharing a cold handshake with Eric Mangini, but it's still good as the NFL's milder version of Yankees-Red Sox.

New England has been New York's nemesis the whole decade. The last time the Jets had a legitimate Super Bowl contender was '98; the Patriots have pretty much been Super Bowl-caliber since '01.

Under new coach Rex Ryan, the Jets are trying to build their defense in a Mangini-style, versatile 3-4 form, and several players have lined up for both teams over the years. Even though the Jets hate losing to the Patriots, their best strategy has been to copy New England's winning blueprint.

5. Denver Broncos vs. San Diego Chargers
We're going with Denver-San Diego as the AFC West's rivalry representative, because the Raiders have been so bad in recent years. The Broncos and Chargers have produced meetings filled with comebacks and controversy. It's too bad, though, that Mike Shanahan is gone from the Broncos' sideline, and that Philip Rivers(notes) no longer can bark at Jay Cutler(notes).

The Broncos have been able to slow down LaDainian Tomlinson(notes) and Antonio Gates(notes). And don't forget the convenient contrast in climates. To quote Frank Cushman in Jerry Maguire: "Hell, I'd either surf or skióI don't care."

6. Green Bay Packers vs. NFC North
The Bears remain as hated as ever, and Cutler only adds to the hatred. The Vikings are stirring the pot again with the Brett Favre(notes) talk. And the Lions keep inviting Green Bay to their Thanksgiving bash, hoping for a happier feast. You think Chicago first as the Packers' archrival, but really, it has expanded to everyone in the division.

There's something about the humble hamlet and its storied football history in a fight against three Midwest metropolises. Of course, most of Wisconsin loves the Pack, and it helps that the state is nestled around Illinois and Minnesota and just an extended right arm away from Michigan.

7. New England Patriots vs. Miami Dolphins
Even before Bill Parcells took over, Miami caused the class of the NFL problems. For some reason, the Dolphins' defense could get the better of Tom Brady. Then Parcells and coach Tony Sparano rekindled the flames last season with the "Wildcat" fires. It will be interesting to see how fun this one gets with Brady's return and the Dolphins' addition of Pat White(notes).

8. Indianapolis Colts vs. Tennessee Titans
This one also had a good comeback last season. After a few down years for Tennessee, it appeared as though Jacksonville had taken its place as Indianapolis' chief AFC South rival. Then Jeff Fisher's team snatched the division crown away. Really, this rivalry started when the division was formed seven years ago, with the Volunteers' favorite son Peyton Manning taking on a team from Nashville. It then hit an early peak when Manning and Steve McNair(notes) were named league co-MVPs in 2003. Expect a great series in '09.

9. Atlanta Falcons vs. Carolina Panthers
Although it had a little more oomph when Julius Peppers(notes) and Carolina's defense were trying to chase down Michael Vick(notes), it's still pretty good. Both teams have returned to the top of the standings. They don't get much attention from the national media, and the rivalry is overshadowed regionally by ACC and SEC football. Still, there have been good battles. In the revolving-door NFC South, these two will fight hard to stay 1-2 over New Orleans and Tampa Bay next season.

10. Green Bay Packers vs. Dallas Cowboys
It's good to see this classic coming back strong. Of course, this always will be remembered as the Ice Bowl matchup, but there also was Brett Favre and Troy Aikman in the early to mid-'90s. It was a huge hit on the NFL Network two years ago, when we saw Aaron Rodgers(notes) step into his first duel with Tony Romo(notes). This year's game is at Lambeau, as the lead-in to Pats-Colts.

Dam8610
Yea, they draw tv ratings and have marketable players.

...and most years this decade it's had the most storylines and been the biggest draw of any non playoff/Super Bowl game.

7-11
08-26-2009, 05:59 PM
wow, very little mention of the Cowboys and Redskins, isn't that a HUGE rivalry?

I believe it ended an SWDC career for one poster on this board

CashmoneyDrew
08-26-2009, 06:02 PM
I believe it ended an SWDC career for one poster on this board

Seriously? Details good sir. Details.

tjsunstein
08-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Soo, this is a list of the best rivalries since 2000? Not in the history of the NFL?

7-11
08-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Seriously? Details good sir. Details.

Oh dear that's pressure. It was when i first joined the board so it could be a bit sketchy but there was a bet between a Cowboys fan and a Redskins fan (21ST??) entailing whomever's team lost in the regular season matchup, would leave the board. Cowboys win, Redskins fan leaves.

Someone involved or actually active want to confirm or deny?

Xonraider
08-26-2009, 07:29 PM
Raiders - Refs

TitleTown088
08-26-2009, 07:49 PM
Oh dear that's pressure. It was when i first joined the board so it could be a bit sketchy but there was a bet between a Cowboys fan and a Redskins fan (21ST??) entailing whomever's team lost in the regular season matchup, would leave the board. Cowboys win, Redskins fan leaves.

Someone involved or actually active want to confirm or deny?

Ya it was Seantaylor21 but he came back. I forget what his new name is, but i'm pretty sure he's back.

That bet was sweeet though. Loser leaves town type deal. Too bad he didn't hold up on it.

TitleTown088
08-26-2009, 07:51 PM
Ooops . double.

TitleTown088
08-26-2009, 07:52 PM
Sure they changed names, but the team and the hate has been there back since their Cleveland days. To most people, the Steelers/Browns rivalry turned into Steelers/Ravens the day they moved.

It's a new fan base in Baltimore though...Isn't that significant?

fenikz
08-26-2009, 07:53 PM
Bears vs Packers

Gay Ork Wang
08-26-2009, 07:55 PM
Ya it was Seantaylor21 but he came back. I forget what his new name is, but i'm pretty sure he's back.

That bet was sweeet though. Loser leaves town type deal. Too bad he didn't hold up on it.

well ryanleaf#1 sorta did something like that

Brent
08-26-2009, 08:01 PM
Soo, this is a list of the best rivalries since 2000? Not in the history of the NFL?
Considering the average age of people on this forum, that is apparent.

DeepThreat
08-26-2009, 08:03 PM
Historically, Browns - Steelers has to be in the conversation. Right now it obviously isn't, just because of how much the Browns suck. But even now, there is nothing more insane than Cleveland Browns Stadium when the Steelers are in town.

Splat
08-26-2009, 08:05 PM
NFL vs first round draft picks. :)

tjsunstein
08-26-2009, 08:08 PM
Considering the average age of people on this forum, that is apparent.

I should have figured. It's all based on biased opinion then.

TitleTown088
08-26-2009, 08:12 PM
NFL vs first round draft picks. :)

Uhhhh. Why is you sig/avy polluting my screen with ginger? ;)

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-26-2009, 08:14 PM
I should have figured. It's all based on biased opinion then.

Yea it is based on what we see. I am from Baltimore the biggest rivalry we see is the Ravens/Steelers. I don't watch any game and feel exhauste afterwards other than the Ravens/Steelers. There is no right answer to this question it is just opinion.

tjsunstein
08-26-2009, 08:19 PM
But even since 2000, you feel like the Ravens vs. Steelers is a bigger rivalry than the Colts vs. Patriots?

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-26-2009, 08:25 PM
The Pats Colts might have played more meaningful games but they don't play with hatred towards each other. The Ravens and Steelers go out there wanting to hurt people. Wanting to leave with the other teams blood on there jerseys. I am sorry but there is no convincing me that a Colts/Pats game is that intense.

GB12
08-26-2009, 08:29 PM
Get the hell out of here with this Pittsburgh/Baltimore ********. It's Packers-Bears, end of story.

1. Packers-Bears
2. Cowboys-Redskins
3. Chiefs-Raiders

Hell, the Ravens aren't even the Steelers biggest rival. Steelers-Browns is a better rivalry. I'd also put Giants-Eagles, Packers-Vikings, Broncos-Raiders, and others ahead of Steelers-Ravens.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Get the hell out of here with this Pittsburgh/Baltimore ********. It's Packers-Bears, end of story.

1. Packers-Bears
2. Cowboys-Redskins
3. Chiefs-Raiders

Hell, the Ravens aren't even the Steelers biggest rival. Steelers-Browns is a better rivalry. I'd also put Giants-Eagles, Packers-Vikings, Broncos-Raiders, and others ahead of Steelers-Ravens.

That is fine because that is YOUR opinion. I have said that there are bigger rivalries in history but I am talking about as of NOW. So you get the hell out of here and this year you watch the bum Bears and the average Packers play and I will watch a war between the rivals Baltimore Ravens and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Just let me know when you hear the hits all the way in Green bay.

Thecollegedropout
08-26-2009, 08:33 PM
Wow 5 pgs and not a single mention of NYJ/MIA? No matter what the record is for EITHER team, you are guaranteed a fight and a great game no matter what. Fake Spike, Monday Night Miracle, the Leon Play in 2006, you are always guaranteed a tough hard nose game between the 2 squads and a fun game.

PACKmanN
08-26-2009, 08:40 PM
That is fine because that is YOUR opinion. I have said that there are bigger rivalries in history but I am talking about as of NOW. So you get the hell out of here and this year you watch the bum Bears and the average Packers play and I will watch a war between the rivals Baltimore Ravens and the Pittsburgh Steelers. Just let me know when you hear the hits all the way in Green bay.

I think you need to read what question was asked by Raven...

7-11
08-26-2009, 08:43 PM

Bum Bears and average Packers? You act like Baltimore are the shining beacon of consistency of the last 5 years...

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-26-2009, 08:43 PM
Oh I know the question and I have said that there are bigger rivalries. I was talking about the Ravens/Steelers rivalry and he said get the hell out like it wasn't a legit rivalry. If you read my past 9858584 post on here I say that and that I am talking about as of now.

I said average Packers to stir things up a bit. I actually think the Packers will win that division and I stand by my bum bears statement

steel man
08-26-2009, 08:45 PM
an old one would be Steelers vs Browns, but...

i think that the Ravens has taken that spot, so i would have to say

Steelers vs Ravens

and anyone that can come up with a rivalry that can have the games these two teams have had and one that can have 3 games like theses two did last year, please do because i dont think you can. players from the ravens has put out bounty's against Steelers players and the injury list after these games is crazy.

TitleTown088
08-26-2009, 08:49 PM
Considering the average age of people on this forum, that is apparent. Well, the thread isn't titled " what's the biggest rivarly of your lifetime"

Comparing Ravens/steelers to Packers/bears is almost like saying Cincinnati/ Pitt ( river city Rivalry) equal to Ohio state/ Michigan.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-26-2009, 08:53 PM
The question isn't "What's the biggets rivalry in NFL history" either. The question is the biggest in NFL so that to me means as of right now what is the biggest rival. Who the **** cares about 50 years ago.

GB12
08-26-2009, 09:02 PM
I just don't see it being a rivalry like the Ravens/Steelers who are fighting for the division every year.
Hahaha, this is ******* great. This shows how ridiculous your argument is. Not even a fan of one of the teams knows the history of the rivalry. The only time in the history of the NFL that Ravens and Steelers were fighting for the division was last year. That is unless you want to count 2001 in which the Steelers finshed ahead of the Ravens with a comfortable 3 game lead.

TitleTown088
08-26-2009, 09:08 PM
The question isn't "What's the biggets rivalry in NFL history" either. The question is the biggest in NFL so that to me means as of right now what is the biggest rival. Who the **** cares about 50 years ago.

Go take a gander of ticket prices on stubhub to a Ravens/Steeler game this season, next go Look at them to a Bears/packer game at Lambeau.

PACKmanN
08-26-2009, 09:15 PM
I bet if you ask any football fan this question, 70-80 percent of them will say the Packers and Bears.

keylime_5
08-26-2009, 09:18 PM
packers/bears, steelers/browns. too we always sucks or else the latter would be bigger nowadays.

The Dynasty
08-26-2009, 09:20 PM
I bet if you ask any football fan this question, 70-80 percent of them will say the Packers and Bears.

I would have to agree with that. Although this year will be interesting with Favre as a Viking but still it wont take away from the Bears vs Packers Rivalry that has gone on for years. With the Bears adding Jay Cutler and the Packers having Aaron Rodgers it will be a fun rivalry to watch.

tjsunstein
08-26-2009, 09:23 PM

Looking through this thread, I think they already have.

bearsfan_51
08-26-2009, 09:25 PM
The Ravens have been in the league for about 10% of its existence.

Fail.

TACKLE
08-26-2009, 09:28 PM
Raiders-Broncos should get more recognition. Those teams HATE each other.

bearsfan_51
08-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Who the **** cares about 50 years ago.

Outside of Baltimore, who cares about the Ravens?

Rivalries are about fan bases. You don't have one.

bearsfan_51
08-26-2009, 09:29 PM
Raiders-Chiefs is still bigger.

tjsunstein
08-26-2009, 09:36 PM
Packers - Bears rivalry is so big that I'm not even gonna rep bearsfan_51! I hate the Bears!

TACKLE
08-26-2009, 09:42 PM
Raiders-Chiefs is still bigger.

Agree to disagree.

the decider13
08-26-2009, 09:44 PM

True dat, there have been snowball fights between the players and fans. I think rivalry is more about teams that hate each other than teams that are the best.

Broncos v Raiders, Bears/Packers/Vikings and the NFC east are all way bigger than Ravens v anyone.

GB12
08-26-2009, 09:46 PM
True dat, there have been snowball fights between the players and fans. I think rivalry is more about teams that hate each other than teams that are the best.

Broncos v Raiders, Bears/Packers/Vikings and the NFC east are all way bigger than Ravens v anyone.
They shouldn't be grouped together like that. It is Bears-Packers. Packers-Vikings would make the top ten too, but you can't just lump them all together. Also Bears-Vikings doesn't belong in the discussion at all.

iowatreat54
08-26-2009, 09:53 PM
They shouldn't be grouped together like that. It is Bears-Packers. Packers-Vikings would make the top ten too, but you can't just lump them all together. Also Bears-Vikings doesn't belong in the discussion at all.

Correct. It is

1. Bears-Packers
2. Packers-Vikings
3. Bears-Favre

the decider13
08-26-2009, 09:56 PM

Soooooorrrrrrryyyyyyyy

I didn't feel like writing both games out. Slashes are much easier. I agree that Bears v Vikings isn't a good game, but both packers games definately deserve mention.

TitleTown088
08-26-2009, 10:18 PM
The ravens in the NFL's biggest rivalry. I still can't get over that.

bearsfan_51
08-26-2009, 10:31 PM
Here's what I got, and take it to heart cause I'm better and smarter than you:

1. Bears v. Packers

-The oldest rivalry, dating back to when the league was founded in 1920. The teams are in driving distance to the other, which means that a lot of Bears fans live in Wisconsin and vice versa. Big fan base, great tradition, lots of heat. The type of classic rivalry that makes the games always important no matter what the record, which is VERY rare in the NFL. Almost like a college rivalry.

2. Cleveland Browns v. Pittsburgh Steelers
-The shine has worn off here, but these fans HATE each other. The Browns have been the whipping boy for a while, but that doesn't mean Steelers fans still don't really want to beat the Browns. Another great rivalry where the fans live amongst each other. Oldest rivalry in the AFC.

3. Dallas Cowboys v. Washington Redskins
-Landry vs Allen. Landry vs. Gibbs. Staubach vs. Theisman. Gibbs vs. Parcells. Big national rivalry. Lots of history. Lots of fans. Lots of heat. Redskins beat the Cowboys in 1982 to make, and win, the Superbowl.

4. Dallas Cowboys v. Philadelphia Eagles
-Bounty bowl. Cheering when Michael Irvin was on a stretcher. Terrell Owens. Like Eagles fans, there is nothing classy about this rivalry.

5. Buffalo Bills v. Miami Dolphins
-A bit overlooked nowadays, but it wasn't that long ago that this was the rivalry in the AFC. The 1980's with Jim Kelly and Marv Levy vs. Dan Marino and Don Shula is big enough to put this one up real high. The contract of fans bases (Buffalo: cold, hearty, loyal, midwest/ Miami: warm weather, ethnically diverse, fair weather) makes this an interesting one too.

6. Oakland Raiders v. Kansas City Chiefs
-Marcus Allen epitomized this rivalry. When he left the Raiders for the Chiefs he never failed to stick it to Al Davis. A lot of players and coaches have gone back and forth in this rivalry, adding a special spice to it.

7. Dallas Cowboys v. San Fran 49'ers
-Not a lot of heat here anymore, but go back to the 80's and 90's and this was THE game. I became a fan of the NFL (and not just the Bears) in large part because of the battles between the Cowboys and Niners.

8. Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Oakland Raiders
-Look at any important AFC playoff game in the 70's and you'll see the Steelers and the Raiders. Two words: Immaculate reception.

9. Pittsburgh Steelers vs. Dallas Cowboys
-Any team that meets three times in the Superbowl is going to be on the list. The Steelers were the team of the 70's because they beat the Cowboys, a great dynasty that no nearly as many people remember. So much of the league's history goes back to this rivalry in the 70's.

10. New England Patriots vs. Indianapolis Colts
-This was a tough one because it's not very even, but the Colts did come back and beat the Pats to make it to, and beat my pathetic Rex Grossman Chicago Bears. Peyton Manning v. Tom Brady might be the best quarterback rivalry in the history of the NFL though.

Honorable mention: Jets v. Dolphins, Steelers v. Oilers/Titans, Giants v. Cowboys, Broncos v. Patriots, Packers v. Vikings, Rams v. Niners, Broncos v. Raiders

yodabear
08-26-2009, 10:33 PM
Yes, the one I mentioned got honorable mention from grandpa Bearsfan. In your faces.

Ravens1991
08-26-2009, 11:14 PM
nice list BF I think people claiming the Ravens/steelers was because they are mirror images of each other and they hate each other. But I see what you guys mean w/ the RAvens being one of the youngest franchises in the NFL.

trkaline
08-26-2009, 11:22 PM
I understand what there saying, about how our rivalry isn't like there rivalry due to time in the league but goddamn some of you Packers Fans are coming off as downright arrogrant pricks like there's a right answer to this question.

Paul
08-26-2009, 11:39 PM
I've always thought the Cowboys-Eagles rivalry was a bit one sided. Everyone knows the famous NFL Films episode where Eagles fans are taught the "cowboys suck" chant from birth, but I've never seen Cowboys fans get as passionate when it comes to the rivalry. I mean it had its moments when TO was here and the bounty game, but I think Dallas' fans get more worked up about playing the Redskins then any other team in the division.

bearsfan_51
08-27-2009, 12:22 AM
but goddamn some of you Packers Fans are coming off as downright arrogrant pricks.
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HjQkMWTuyl4/ShNYUs2BDaI/AAAAAAAAAWg/7Exq3O6hRNI/s320/yoda.jpg
Full of wisdom you are. Mmm....

Bills2083
08-27-2009, 12:28 AM
I'll go with the Ravens vs. Steelers, at least last season.

msolimani
08-27-2009, 01:26 AM
i don't see Bears-Packers as #1, sure it has the longevity but that doesnt make it the best. When I think of NFL rivalries, the first thing that comes to mind is rams-seahawks, but seriously it's Cowboys-Eagles. I have no ties to either team, I actually hate the Eagles....but that's what a rivalry is all about.

TitanHope
08-27-2009, 01:28 AM
I understand what there saying, about how our rivalry isn't like there rivalry due to time in the league but goddamn some of you Packers Fans are coming off as downright arrogrant pricks like there's a right answer to this question.

Agreed. The Packers fans speaking in absolutes is annoying.

But the Baltimore fans are just as bad with the "Yeah, but our two teams hate each other," "No other game has harder hitting than ours," "Our teams try to hurt each other," jargon. We get it. Ya'll play great defense. Steelers/Ravens games are hard fought, physical games, but ya'll (most notably, R/W/O) are over-exaggurating things big time. Ya'll ain't the only physical teams in the NFL. ;)

Brent
08-27-2009, 01:45 AM
Well, the thread isn't titled " what's the biggest rivarly of your lifetime"
You are correct, but if you go by the answers in this thread it might as well be, not that I agree with it.

star wars reference = +rep!

trkaline
08-27-2009, 02:17 AM

But the Baltimore fans are just as bad with the "Yeah, but our two teams hate each other," "No other game has harder hitting than ours," "Our teams try to hurt each other," jargon. We get it. Ya'll play great defense. Steelers/Ravens games are hard fought, physical games, but ya'll (most notably, R/W/O) are over-exaggurating things big time. Ya'll ain't the only physical teams in the NFL. ;)

A thread like this is bound for homerism as I stated the 3rd post of the thread,this is an abstract thought so your bound to have that,

G-Men88
08-27-2009, 09:56 AM
Has to be Giants-Eagles for me

bigbluedefense
08-27-2009, 10:16 AM
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Giants/49ers rivalry of the mid/late 80s. That was epic in its own right.

Giants/Eagles has always been just as huge as Cowboys/Redskins. Its hard to separate the rivalries of the NFC East, bc historically all of them hated each other and tend to be competitive at the same time frames.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-27-2009, 11:33 AM

Shut up you are just mad the Titans hard hitting team isn't being mentioned :)

killxswitch
08-27-2009, 11:40 AM
If the Colts ever got around to beating the Chargers in the playoffs there might be a little rivalry brewing.

Cowboys-Eagles and Bears-Packers are the two old-timey rivalries. Pitts vs. Balt and NE vs. IND are probably the two best current rivalries, but NE vs. IND especially won't last.

awfullyquiet
08-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Well, the thread isn't titled " what's the biggest rivarly of your lifetime"

because most here are 'short-sighted' and care only about the here/now over what the expanse of the nfl has been. the nfl is almost 3 times older than most on this board... most weren't alive when the bears won the superbowl... and it shows.

tjsunstein
08-27-2009, 11:45 AM
because most here are 'short-sighted' and care only about the here/now over what the expanse of the nfl has been. the nfl is almost 3 times older than most on this board... most weren't alive when the bears won the superbowl... and it shows.

I would guess that most of this board really started following football around 2000, myself included. Like Brent said, the average age on this board would indicate why people are picking certain rivalries.

scottyboy
08-27-2009, 11:47 AM
Tom Cable vs Rest of Raiders staff.

awfullyquiet
08-27-2009, 11:53 AM
I would guess that most of this board really started following football around 2000, myself included. Like Brent said, the average age on this board would indicate why people are picking certain rivalries.

Yes... people seem to forget everything pre-brady these days...

I REALLY started getting into football with the 1990 season superbowl... bills vs giants... man. i loved watching jim kelly and thomas... if you're not 19, you were born after this historic event of wide right.

scottyboy
08-27-2009, 12:01 PM
Yes... people seem to forget everything pre-brady these days...

I REALLY started getting into football with the 1990 season superbowl... bills vs giants... man. i loved watching jim kelly and thomas... if you're not 19, you were born after this historic event of wide right.

i was in the womb. i consider myself there for that wonderous occassion.

bearsfan_51
08-27-2009, 12:03 PM
Giants/Eagles has always been just as huge as Cowboys/Redskins.
No it hasn't.

bigbluedefense
08-27-2009, 12:14 PM
No it hasn't.

Yes it has. The Giants and Eagles have loathed each other the same way the Cowboys/Redskins have since the beginning of Eagles franchise. And if you want to talk about fan bases and the national level of it, the Giants and Eagles have just as huge fanbases as the Cowboys and Redskins, so thats a wash too.

And that rivalry is really the only relevant NFC East rivalry of the past 15 years.

The locality of the rivalry plays a part too. NY and Philly are not far from each other, the fan bases butt heads regularly. DC and Dallas don't have the territorial rivalry that the Giants/Eagles have.

awfullyquiet
08-27-2009, 12:19 PM
The locality of the rivalry plays a part too. NY and Philly are not far from each other, the fan bases butt heads regularly. DC and Dallas don't have the territorial rivalry that the Giants/Eagles have.

but Skins/Boys has history. History is important in rivalries...

man... who remembers 2003?

bearsfan_51
08-27-2009, 12:19 PM
Yes it has.
No it hasn't.

And if you want to talk about fan bases and the national level of it, the Giants and Eagles have just as huge fanbases as the Cowboys and Redskins.
No they don't.

Which is why Cowboys/Redskins is a national rivalry. It's been a huge rivaly in spite of the fact that it hasn't been that important in the last 10 years. Cowboys/Redskins is almost always on Sunday Nights or Monday Nights because it draws huge ratings and people care about who wins the game for no other reason than bragging rights. Giants/Eagles is important to their fans, but it's probably not even the biggest rivalry for each fan base, and it's certainly not a big deal to most people outside of the NYC/Philly metro area.

Not to mention, I can't think of one Giants/Eagles game off the top of my head. I can think of 10 for the Cowboys/Redskins.

PACKmanN
08-27-2009, 12:23 PM
how about the Packers vs. Cowboys? where would that be ranked?

bigbluedefense
08-27-2009, 12:24 PM
No it hasn't.

No they don't.

Which is why Cowboys/Redskins is a national rivalry. It's been a huge rivaly in spite of the fact that it hasn't been that important in the last 10 years. Cowboys/Redskins is almost always on Sunday Nights or Monday Nights because it draws huge ratings and people care about who wins the game for no other reason than bragging rights. Giants/Eagles is important to their fans, but it's probably not even the biggest rivalry for each fan base, and it's certainly not a big deal to most people outside of the NYC/Philly metro area.

Not to mention, I can't think of one Giants/Eagles game off the top of my head. I can think of 10 for the Cowboys/Redskins.

The Giants don't have as big of a fan base as DC? Thats news to me. Id say our fan base is bigger than theirs if anything.

Giants/Eagles are regularly on national tv. Have always been. In fact, every NFC East division game is almost always a national game. And always will be bc of the sheer # of fans of each team. They'll always generate huge ratings. Thats why the media is NFC East dominated.

And how do you not know of one Giants/Eagles game off the top of your head when theyve been the only relevant NFC East playoff teams of the past 10 years?

Theyve regularly battled for bragging rights of the East for a national audience for quite some time now.

awfullyquiet
08-27-2009, 12:32 PM
The Giants don't have as big of a fan base as DC? Thats news to me. Id say our fan base is bigger than theirs if anything.

i think the jets say hi too bbd.

the skins have the largest stadium in the nfl for a reason.

bigbluedefense
08-27-2009, 12:36 PM
but Skins/Boys has history. History is important in rivalries...

man... who remembers 2003?

I think to exclusively classify them as the biggest rivalry in the East is not accurate though. The Skins have just as much rivalry with the Giants. Their glory years in the 80s, their biggest rival were Parcells Giants. Nobody gave a damn about Landry's Cowboys in the 80s.

Rivalries grow tense during times when your team is successful, and you have a common enemy that is also successful that hinders your overall success. Thats why rivalries like the Giants/Redskins of the 80s, or Giants/Eagles of 00s, hold merit to me, bc it intensifies the hatred.

The Cowboys/Redskins don't have any more history than the Giants/Eagles. Its just that people perceive it to have more history bc of the # of SB victories between the 2 teams are greater.

But none of those SB victories ever came during a time when the Cowboys and Redskins were intense rivals. The Skins sucked in the mid 90s, and the Cowboys real rivalry of the 70s were the Steelers.

In the 80s when Washington was successful, the Giants were their biggest rival.

The Redskins/Cowboys rivalry is overrated.

bigbluedefense
08-27-2009, 12:39 PM
i think the jets say hi too bbd.

the skins have the largest stadium in the nfl for a reason.

The Jets have a big fan base too. You're right. But the Giants still have more fans than DC. The tri-state is still much larger than the DC area. Even if the Jets account for 35% of the population's fanbase, the Giants still would have more fans.

The Giants have been in the same stadium for the past 30 or so years, so its not fair to compare them based on that. Next year, Giants stadium will be just as big if not bigger than DC's.

The overall worth of the franchise will dramatically change after the new stadium as well.

I personally loved the old Skins stadium, that would rock back and forth.

scottyboy
08-27-2009, 12:44 PM
being a yung'in, I can't comment much on the histories of rivalries and such, but I think the hatred betweenthe cities of philly and NY is so great, being involved in it like BBD and I are, make it seem like a huge rivalry.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-27-2009, 12:47 PM
The old heads are going to say old rivalries are bigger because they remember how intense it WAS but new rivals have come and they are just as intense if not more.

bigbluedefense
08-27-2009, 12:49 PM
being a yung'in, I can't comment much on the histories of rivalries and such, but I think the hatred betweenthe cities of philly and NY is so great, being involved in it like BBD and I are, make it seem like a huge rivalry.

its almost not even a Giants/Eagles thing, its almost a tri-state vs philly thing.

I know Jets fans that hate the Eagles bc its Philly. I know Eagles fans who hate the Jets bc theyre NY.

I know a guy from CT who hates anything Philly. I hate anything Philly. I got coworkers from Philly who hate anything NY.

Its deeper than just football in a way.

It even goes beyond football and plays a role in other sports too. The 2 areas just hate each other. You think Maverick fans give a damn about the Sixers? Hell no. But Sixers fans and Knicks fans definitely don't get along.

I think that intensity of the hatred makes it equal to Cowboys/Redskins.

bigbluedefense
08-27-2009, 12:50 PM
The old heads are going to say old rivalries are bigger because they remember how intense it WAS but new rivals have come and they are just as intense if not more.

New rivalries don't have generations of hatred in em. Its not even an argument honestly.

You don't have families of teams from grandparents, to parents to children who all intensely hate the other team the same way with new rivalries.

bearsfan_51
08-27-2009, 12:51 PM

Rivalries aren't just about intensity. Intensity can fade. Rivalries are also about tradition, important games, fan hatred/mutual respect, and longevity.

If the Steelers are Ravens weren't both good right now it wouldn't be a big deal at all. The intensity is based almost entirely on what is at stake during the game.

This is why college sports have better rivalries. Most pro fans are fickle. They don't care about tradition and they don't stick with teams when they are bad. That's why the list has the same 3-4 teams.

bearsfan_51
08-27-2009, 12:58 PM
its almost not even a Giants/Eagles thing, its almost a tri-state vs philly thing.

I know Jets fans that hate the Eagles bc its Philly. I know Eagles fans who hate the Jets bc theyre NY.

I know a guy from CT who hates anything Philly. I hate anything Philly. I got coworkers from Philly who hate anything NY.

Its deeper than just football in a way.

It even goes beyond football and plays a role in other sports too. The 2 areas just hate each other. You think Maverick fans give a damn about the Sixers? Hell no. But Sixers fans and Knicks fans definitely don't get along.

I think that intensity of the hatred makes it equal to Cowboys/Redskins.
Because you live in the NYC metro area. It's not important anywhere else.

bigbluedefense
08-27-2009, 01:03 PM
Because you live in the NYC metro area. It's not important anywhere else.

Yeah, but neither is the Cowboys/Redskins rivalry. Except for Cowboys and Redskins fans who don't happen to live in their respective local areas.

Which btw, there are TONS of Giants and Eagles fans dispersed throughout America as well, so I still don't see your point in that.

Youre not local, and youre not a Cowboys or Skins fan. Youre telling me you give a damn about their rivalry? I'm pretty sure you don't. Im pretty sure Joe the Vikings fan doesn't give a rats ass about it either. It only means something to the fans of the teams, the rest of the country is merely intrigued by it.

And since all NFC East rivalry games are nationally televised, and have been for quite some time, I don't see how the average fan is anymore intrigued by the Cowboys/Redskins than they are of the Giants/Eagles.

bearsfan_51
08-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Youre not local, and youre not a Cowboys or Skins fan. Youre telling me you give a damn about their rivalry? I'm pretty sure you don't. Im pretty sure Joe the Vikings fan doesn't give a rats ass about it either.
Definitely am. There are few rivalries I turn into, but Cowboys/Redskins is one of them. There's a reason it always gets primetime billing.

Every game in the NFC East is an important rivalry-esque game, I'll definitely give you that, but you're underatting how big Cowboys/Redskins is, which is surprising to me considering how much you know the history of the NFL.

eaglesalltheway
08-27-2009, 01:34 PM

In my lifetime, for me, I'd have to say the Eagles Giants Rivalry is the biggest. I am less than 25 miles from New Jersey's border with Eastern PA, and right smack in the middle north/south wise. I'd bet the distance to New York and Philly is within 20 miles of eachother from where I live, and there is a definitive split in my area. There are a lot of Eagles fans, but there are some big time Giants fans as well, I'd say in my area, Giatns fans make up at least 30% of the fans in this area. There are mostly Eagles fans, but you'd see Giants fans at Eagles training camp, that shows how close they are. But for me I'd say the biggest rivalry of the last 10 years or so has to be Eagles/Giants, though a nod for Pats/Colts in that time span has to be up there too, if not passing it. If they were division rivals, it wouldn't even be close, but I'd say those are the two Rivalries that stick out the most in my mind, with an honrable mention going to Steelers/Ravens.

bigbluedefense
08-27-2009, 01:38 PM
Definitely am. There are few rivalries I turn into, but Cowboys/Redskins is one of them. There's a reason it always gets primetime billing.

Every game in the NFC East is an important rivalry-esque game, I'll definitely give you that, but you're underatting how big Cowboys/Redskins is, which is surprising to me considering how much you know the history of the NFL.

But all the East rivalries get prime time billing. Hell, the first game of the season for us is Giants/Redskins, and its on at 4 on Fox nationally. Thats just how it is, the NFC East as a whole is one big rivalry, its very difficult to separate them.

In the 80s, as a very young fan, I hated the Skins the most out of anybody. In the early 90s, I hated the Cowboys more than you wouldn't believe. Then it shifted to and stayed with the Eagles since then. Its like, I hate all of them, but my intensity of hatred fluctuates between them. Thats just how the NFC East is for the most part.

Im not denying that its a huge rivalry, I just don't know if we can say its any more intense than the other East rivalries. I will say this, nothing is more intense than Bears/Packers, without a doubt. But when we're talking NFC East, I think all 4 teams and their fans pretty much hate each other equally, with the tiebreaker going to the teams who are currently successful.

And for national intrigue, I may be wrong in my assumption, but I think a Titan from Tennessee isn't any more intrigued by Redskins/Cowboys as he is Eagles/Giants. Youre a fan with historical perspective, but fans like yourself are the minority, not the majority.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-27-2009, 01:46 PM
The biggest rivals are Ravens/Steelers Ravens/Redskins/ Ravens/Browns Ravens/Terps Ravens/Wizards.

Bengalsrocket
08-27-2009, 02:12 PM
I think we all just have different views of what makes an NFL rivalry good. Some people like the tradition, some people like the emotion & others like the level competition.

I think Packers / Bears has all three of those, but lacks the national spotlight. Meanwhile, Ravens / Steelers has emotion and competition but doesn't have a great tradition (in 2005 people were saying the Bengals / Steelers would be a great rivalry, Ravens weren't even in the picture). Maybe in a few more years that rivalry will grow into something special.

As far as the NFC East goes, I would put Giants / Eagles second to Cowboys / Redskins. Giants & Eagles have both been more competitive lately, and have "The Miracle at the Meadowlands" game between them. However, Redskins / Cowboys over the course of the NFL have been way more competitive and in my opinion are the greatest rivalry.

bigbluedefense
08-27-2009, 02:14 PM
That just reminded me, how can we forget about the Browns vs the Bengals?

Paul Brown vs Paul Brown!

i can't believe we missed that one.

tjsunstein
08-27-2009, 02:17 PM
That just reminded me, how can we forget about the Browns vs the Bengals?

Paul Brown vs Paul Brown!

i can't believe we missed that one.

It's obvious how we missed it. This board is short sighted when it comes to this topic.

Jughead10
08-27-2009, 02:18 PM

I'd say they are really about equal. At one point Cowboys/Skins was greater but the inconsistency and generally the Redskins being a joke has allowed Giants/Eagles to be right there with them. Giants/Eagles is on primetime just as much if not more than Cowboys/Skins. And they've met in the playoffs three times since the turn of the century. And the rivalry defintely has history. The Miracle at the Meadowlands?

And like BBD said. When the Skins were in their glory days in the 80's, the Giants were just as big of their rival as the Cowboys were. The Skins and Giants were the teams meeting in the playoffs. That takes a little away from it in my opinion.

Also the fact that Philly and NY are just much better sports towns in general, and that rivalry crosses into all sports. Like BBD said also.

Jughead10
08-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Expansion and the new scheduling format has taken away from some of the more historical rivalries. Such as the Cowboys and Steelers can play only once every 4 years.

bigbluedefense
08-27-2009, 02:27 PM
I hate Philly so much, I don't even like Bill Cosby.

Bill Cosby.

Oh and screw Will Smith too.

Borat
08-27-2009, 02:32 PM
I miss the 49ers/Cowboys rivalry. It's faded recently with the new scheduling and the fact that the 49ers have sucked balls for a few years now.

bearsfan_51
08-27-2009, 02:33 PM
But the Cosby show was set in Manhatten.

bigbluedefense
08-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Yeah, but he's still from Philly.

Paul
08-27-2009, 03:06 PM
Not sure if 22 is considered an "old head" on this board, but Pit v. Bal wouldn't make my list of best rivalries.

msolimani
08-27-2009, 03:44 PM
Not sure if 22 is considered an "old head" on this board, but Pit v. Bal wouldn't make my list of best rivalries.

I agree, maybe if it keeps up for a a few more years at that pace it could be worth mentioning

bearsfan_51
08-27-2009, 03:54 PM
The Steelers and Ravens need some serious playoff showdowns to really mean something. You need memorable and important games. Nobody remembers regular season games outside of hardcore fans.

TACKLE
08-27-2009, 03:58 PM
The Steelers and Ravens need some serious playoff showdowns to really mean something. You need memorable and important games. Nobody remembers regular season games outside of hardcore fans.

And this is my biggest problem with the Bears-Packers rivalry being regarded as the clear #1.

bearsfan_51
08-27-2009, 04:02 PM
And this is my biggest problem with the Bears-Packers rivalry being regarded as the clear #1.
Yeah that's definitely understandable.

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
08-27-2009, 04:02 PM
I don't think the Ravens and Steelers are the biggest ever just think they have a really good rivalry going.

Ravens1991
08-27-2009, 06:01 PM
yea we only had 2 playoff games and lets not talk about who won :(:(

but I think we have a intense rivlary in the making. A couple of years ago in a meaningless game w/ our playoff spot already locked up we played all our starters through OT just to beat PITT. Thats how much we hate them

But I understand why you guys dont have it at the top because of age

yodabear
08-27-2009, 06:05 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_HjQkMWTuyl4/ShNYUs2BDaI/AAAAAAAAAWg/7Exq3O6hRNI/s320/yoda.jpg

Awesome......thats right BF51 was influenced by me.

TitleTown088
08-27-2009, 11:01 PM

Here's what I got, and take it to heart cause I'm better and smarter than you:

Not bear fans though... :)

I agree though. Packer fans are arrogant pricks who speak in absolutes. But we're usually right. I mean look at how right we were about Favre. ahahaha. I don't know if there is enough crow in North America for that one. What a bastard.

bearsfan_51
08-27-2009, 11:35 PM
Not bear fans though... :)

I agree though. Packer fans are arrogant pricks who speak in absolutes. But we're usually right. I mean look at how right we were about Favre. ahahaha. I don't know if there is enough crow in North America for that one. What a bastard.

Oh I'm arrogant as ****, everyone knows that.

JRTPlaya21
08-27-2009, 11:39 PM
Redskins v Cowboys ftw! But really as of late the Colt v Patriots & Steelers v Ravens have had some epic games. Chargers & Pats had some classics too. Also can't leave out Philly & the Giants.

BoneKrusher
08-27-2009, 11:44 PM
Steelers/Ravens for awesome defense!

Brent
08-28-2009, 01:01 AM
Oh I'm arrogant as ****, everyone knows that.
It's true, he talked about dating strippers in college, if that isnt arrogant, I dont know what is. :)

Hines
08-28-2009, 02:11 AM
If the Browns didn't suck so much, I would say Steelers-Browns. Steelers-Ravens are getting there, but it'll take a few more years IMO.

KINGGS
08-30-2009, 04:16 PM
All the obvious ones have been mentioned...

Bucs V. Panthers