PDA

View Full Version : Preseason performers

49ersfan_87
08-27-2009, 08:14 PM
Who's performing well this preseason for your team?

For the 49ers I'll say rookie RB Glen Coffee. He's been pretty impressive in all phases of the game. He's impressed coaches even with his blitz pickups, something rookie RB's tend to struggle with. And of course, he demolished the Raiders run defense for over 120 yards in 1 half of football, on 16 carries. Granted it's the Raiders, but impressive for a rookie nonetheless.

Don Vito
08-27-2009, 08:35 PM
I really like Coffee. Nothing too impressive physically but he is old school, runs very hard. For the Pats rookie WR Julian Edelman has looked very good. He is very athletic and was a QB at Kent State, he took a punt back for a TD against the Eagles and has caught everything thrown his way. He could have a future in the slot and as a return man.

cvv84
08-27-2009, 08:43 PM
Rookies:

RB Tyrell Sutton
DE Jarius Wynn
LB Brad Jones
DE B.J. Raji - in limited action

Non-rookies:
TE Jermichael Finley
DEs Johnny Jolly, Cullen Jenkins, Michael Montgomery
LB Desmond Bishop - stud standout in our 2 preseason games

BlindSite
08-27-2009, 08:44 PM
Goodson has really been a revelation as has Munnerlyn.

I wish Irvin our 3rd rounder DT would step up but he's really been a no show from my mind.

No one else is really leaping out unfortunately, brown is showing promise, but not as much as I'd hoped to see.

M.O.T.H.
08-27-2009, 08:47 PM
QB Tony Romo
RB Felix Jones
RB Keon Lattimore
WR Sam Hurd
WR Patrick Crayton
TE Martellus Bennett
ILB Bobby Carpenter
NT Jay Ratliff
Entire starting offensive line

Splat
08-27-2009, 08:49 PM
I would say ILB Corey Mays for the Chiefs we picked him up only to play SP teams but has worked his way in to the starting line up by having a heck of a camp and flashing in games.

Don Vito
08-27-2009, 08:50 PM
I would say ILB Corey Mays for the Chiefs we picked him up only to play SP teams but has worked his way in to the starting line up by having a heck of a camp and flashing in games.

I liked Mays a lot when the Pats had him, he was a ST stud.

General Zod
08-27-2009, 09:10 PM
Troy Williamson

The Unseen
08-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Troy Williamson

you're a Jags fan?

yodabear
08-27-2009, 09:14 PM
Donnie Jones

Marino13
08-27-2009, 09:32 PM
Lex Hilliard for Miami.

Brian Hartline has looked good with his routes, and did draw two defensive penalties against Tampa, but otherwise, not much.

Sean Smith and Vontae Davis don't look bad either.

JT Jag
08-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Jaguar Veterans:
Troy Williamson
Tra Thomas

Rookies:
Terrance Knighton

tjsunstein
08-27-2009, 10:07 PM
B.J. Raji was very strong when he saw the field. I'm not sure if he can maintain that motor for the whole game but I certainly love the energy and dominance he's bringing. He required a double team against the Bills and still got a two yard push. Lined up against the guard seems unfair. Ask Eric Wood, another rookie, but nonetheless, Raji could bull rush him no problem. Something we expected out of him when taking him 9 but it's a pleasure to see it in action.

I'll keep it short and only add one player from our offense that has stepped up. Jermichael Finley. He had a strong camp and has been making plays this preseason. Really athletic for his position (TE). He's pushing Donald Lee every day for playing time and seems like he can make something happen everytime he has the ball in his hand. The only thing I haven't like out of him has been the way he carries the ball sometimes. He holds it like a defensive back from time to time.

TACKLE
08-27-2009, 10:11 PM
Oher has been a beast. His pass pro is improving every game and he's just getting after people in the run game. I love his tenacity.

http://wbal.com/apps/news/articlefiles/33598-oherbloody.jpg

RufusMcDaniel
08-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Javon Ringer is making everyone forget (for those who haven't) about Chris Henry.

wonderbredd24
08-27-2009, 10:32 PM
WR Mohammed Massaquoi - He seems like he could be very special in this league... most figured Robiskie would be ahead of Massaquoi, but that has not been the case. Massaquoi has been making spectacular catches in camp, running solid routes, and using his size (6'2" 207lbs) to his advantage).

CB Coye Francies - He was a guy who fell in the draft and is playing with a chip on his shoulder. Had an INT in preseason and showed he could hit too when he put a lick on Tyrell Sutton (who went to my highschool). In a good group of corners, Francies is making it hard to ignore his ability. He has a big frame and has used it to blanket receivers in coverage.

RB James Davis - He was a force at the beginning of camp, but fell off towards the end... until the 81 yard run against the Lions. Yes, it was 2nd/3rd teamers, but he showed a 2nd gear and broke one guy's ankles badly.

FB Lawrence Vickers - He is making his case that he's the best fullback in football.

DE/OLB Kamerion Wimbley - The guy has been all over the field in both preseason games making plays... I hope this is a sign of things to come.

DE/OLB Alex Hall - He has gotten a lot better since last year as the lanky kid out of St. Augustine. Hall has displayed good instincts against the run, as a pass rusher, and has the athleticism to cover running backs in the passing game.

DE/OLB Marcus Benard - Undrafted free agent from Jackson State just keeps making plays... he put a hit on a Green Bay QB forcing an INT as well as having a sack. I will not be surprised if he makes the team.

ILB/OLB/DE David Veikune - Despite the overwhelming difficuly of learning 2 new positions, Veikune is having success. Primarily focused on ILB, Veikune had an INT against the Packers, but he is making most of his noise in camp.

CB Eric Wright - He's a ball hawk and I really believe Eric Wright is ready to break out and be a Pro Bowl caliber player this year... he has been a terror in coverage, including picking off Matt Stafford.

S Abram Elam - He might have the most INTs of anyone in camp and some media outlets are predicting a huge season for Elam. I believe Peter King predicted he'd make the Pro Bowl, which is huge considering the field

WR/KR/PR Josh Cribbs - I was concerned that the wedge rule change would hurt Cribbs, but evidently not as he took a 95 yard kick off return agains the Lions which was called back and then had a punt return TD that was not called back. Most surprising of all for Cribbs is he actually looks like a WR now... he has a ways to go, but he can be a contributor this year as a WR and he is extremely dangerous after the catch

Brent
08-28-2009, 12:48 AM
Goodson has really been a revelation
he couldnt run between the tackles to save his life, every time, he cuts outside asap.

RaiderNation
08-28-2009, 01:05 AM
JaMarcus Russell has looked alot better so far for us. I think hes 14/20 with a TD. If he is able to have a good passing % and not turn it over to often, we should be fine.

Mario Henderson is also playing good a LT, Chaz Schilens looked great against Dallas, and the D looks alright when Nnamdi is in the game. Once hes out everything falls apart

vidae
08-28-2009, 01:22 AM

This. Dude has been amazing in games and apparently has had some good practices. Our defense overall (first team) has been playing better. Tyson Jackson is alright but our LBs are playing really well.

Woody56
08-28-2009, 01:45 AM
Jets

Leon Washington
Dustin Keller
David Clowney
O-line
Calvin Pace
David Harris

Hines
08-28-2009, 02:06 AM
Ziggy Hood. 3 sacks in 2 games.

Shahin
08-28-2009, 02:20 AM
QB Tony Romo
RB Felix Jones
RB Keon Lattimore
WR Sam Hurd
WR Patrick Crayton
TE Martellus Bennett
ILB Bobby Carpenter
NT Jay Ratliff
Entire starting offensive line

wow, cool.

Desmond Bishop from the Packers has been playing pretty well.

Rey Mauluga beasted from what i saw in the pats game.

Saints 4 Lyfe
08-28-2009, 03:28 AM
Anthony Hargrove for the Saints has turned it into another gear.

Caddy
08-28-2009, 04:25 AM
He's Back!

http://tampabaywatch.files.wordpress.com/2007/10/cadillac.jpg

Gay Ork Wang
08-28-2009, 04:27 AM
Al Afalava, the OLine and Earl Bennett

TitanHope
08-28-2009, 05:00 AM
Gerald McRath (<3) is tied for 1st in tackles with 16 and has a fumble recovery.

Javon Ringer (<3) is 9th in rushing yards with 98, is averaging 6.1 YPC, and has a TD.

Kenny Britt (<3 x2) has 6 receptions for 89 yards and a TD, ranking him 23rd.

Jared Cook (<3) is 10th in receiving yards with 120 yards on 12 receptions.

Rookies are lookin' good. :cool:

Nalej
08-28-2009, 07:23 AM
Tom Brady. Took a hit and got back up like it was nothing. The fact that it looks like he has no lingering effects from last year is all I need to get out of the Pre Season.

I haven't been able to see any of the games but what I'm curious about is how Banta Cain, Woods, Crable and Burgess are doing at that OLB spot oppisite of Thomas. That spot is our D's weakspot

BmoreBlackByrdz
08-28-2009, 08:15 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vi2Mw4kFfqc

Michael Oher has been amazing! He is a natural run blocker who mauls anyone in his way and his pass protection has done nothing but improve since the Washington game. It really looks like Baltimore has there pair of franchise Tackles set for the next decade.

Other players for the Ravens-
Paul Kruger - Didn't like the pick at first, but he has a non-stop motor and is very active, always around the ball and batted 3 passes down against NYJ.

Justin Harper - Droped 4 passes and caught 4 passes against Washington but bounced back in week 2 and caught everything throw his way, 2 for 28 I think. Battling Kelley Washington for the #4 spot.

Kelly Washington - I thought he was more of a special team stud but he has shown great chemistry with Joe Flacco and is giving Justin Harper a good challenge for the #4 spot.

Lardarius Webb
Ray Rice - mini Brian Westbrook maybe?
Joe Flacco - I doubt a sophomore slump.

Da-Phins
08-28-2009, 01:46 PM
Hartline has been doing good. He is running good routes, making some good catches but he is also dropping a couple. He had a good game against the bucs. Got 3 catches for over 70 yards and drew 2 flags. He will prob be starting on opening day.

The rookie corners Vontae Davis and Sean Smith has been playing alright. After a horrible 1st game from Davis, he has stepped it up last 2 games. Impressed by how physical he is and how good he is against the run.

Two young passrushing LB's Cam Wake and Quentin Mosses have been applying good pressure and is always around the QB.

I would have Chad Henne on this list but after lastnite, he is off of it.

HawkEye30
08-28-2009, 01:57 PM
nick reed for the seahawks, this kid has been tearing up and he has a non stop motor

jimmylishis
08-28-2009, 07:34 PM
my boy jaymar johnson is having himself one hell of an offseason. visanthe shaincoe looks primed for a pro bowl. he had a great end of last season and looks to be carrying that momentum into this season

as for the rookies asher allen has been impressive so far fighting for a nickel spot. Jasper brinkley has opened some eyes as well with his physical play.

TitanHope
08-28-2009, 11:27 PM
Ray Rice - mini Brian Westbrook maybe?

I was thinking baby MoJo Drew when I saw the Ravens/Jets game the other day.

scottyboy
08-28-2009, 11:31 PM
Ray Rice= mini god.

oh and AJ Trapasso seems to be the MVP of the pre season thus far.

TitleTown088
08-29-2009, 11:27 AM
Aaron Rodgers completed 14-of-19 passes for 258 yards and three touchdowns and added 39 yards on the ground against the Cardinals Friday night.
This offense is firing on all cylinders. The Packers are the preseason Lombardi Award winners, and Aaron Rodgers is the easy pick for preseason MVP. Rodgers is up to 27-of-38 for 458 yards and six touchdowns, he's yet to be sacked, and nine of his 12 drives have resulted in touchdowns.

AntoinCD
08-29-2009, 11:33 AM
As a general unit im a lot happier with the Patriots pass defense. It's still not as good as would be preferred but Wilhite had a 99yd INT for TD and there has been 10 sacks in 3 games. This from a team that had only 31 last year so that's an improvement

FUNBUNCHER
08-29-2009, 12:39 PM
Javon Ringer is making everyone forget (for those who haven't) about Chris Henry.

The Redskins will regret for a LONNNGG time not selecting Ringer over a special team LB from Nebraska.

For the Skins, QB Chase Daniel is on the verge of bumping Colt Brennan to the practice squad. Daniel is a smart, accurate, mobile(!!) QB who is battling hard to be the 3rd QB on the final roster. SO far he's thrown 2 TDs in pre.

Nevada rookie WR Marko Mitchell looks better already than studs Devin Thomas,( a physical clone of Andre Johnson) and former OU WR Malcolm Kelly.
Mitchell has scored two TDs and says he patterned his game after T.O.
He's 6'4, runs a 4.4, and so far looks like the WR steal of the draft.

DE/OLB Orakpo looks like the Skins designated pass rusher this year. In TC, he's frequently blown by pro bowler Chris Samuels, who lost roughly 25 pounds in the offseason to improve his quickness. Rak has a lineman's strength, ( in the pre game against the Steelers, he lifted one of their OTs off the ground!!) and the speed of an elite OLB.

Outside of Green Bay's BJ Raji, many think he's one of the leading candidates for DROTY.

Splat
08-29-2009, 12:59 PM
Who are some players you think can play in the NFL but will likely be cut by your team do to lack of roster space?

Chiefs - RB Dantrell Savage

TitleTown088
08-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Outside of Green Bay's BJ Raji, many think he's one of the leading candidates for DROTY.

I really doubt a 3-4 situational lineman ( Raji) is favored for DROTY.

JT Jag
08-29-2009, 01:25 PM
For the Skins, QB Chase Daniel is on the verge of bumping Colt Brennan to the practice squad.Brennan won't make it through waivers.

M.O.T.H.
08-29-2009, 01:27 PM
Who are some players you think can play in the NFL but will likely be cut by your team do to lack of roster space?

Keon Lattimore!

DoughBoy
08-29-2009, 02:34 PM

Titans - Punter AJ Trapasso

FUNBUNCHER
08-29-2009, 03:13 PM
I really doubt a 3-4 situational lineman ( Raji) is favored for DROTY.

From what I've heard, Raji will get significant playing time and will be a starter before the midway point of the season.

cvv84
08-29-2009, 03:22 PM
From what I've heard, Raji will get significant playing time and will be a starter before the midway point of the season.

Raji will be a starter from day 1. But the Packers like to rotate their lineman to keep them fresh plus Raji will shift in to DT when we're in nickel packages. OROY and DROY are all about stats and Raji isn't going to complile many sacks.

The last 6 DROY winners have been LBs and the last Dlineman to win was Julius Peppers. And before Peppers it was Jevon Kearse. The Last DT to win was back in 1994 and that was Tim Bowens.

vidae
08-29-2009, 04:57 PM
I've been impressed with Corey Mays on the Chiefs. He's not a rookie, but dude flies around the ball. Our defense has looked pretty damn good, which is an improvement from absolutely awful the last two years.

As far as Chiefs rookies, Tyson Jackson has been good so far, but he's got a lot of work to do. Succop pretty much figures to be our starting kicker unless something drastic happens too.

PalmerToCJ
08-29-2009, 05:12 PM

I wondered what happened to him. He was pretty decent as a backup for the Bengals, I actually wished we would've kept him around.

For the Bengals Chad Johnson and Chris Henry are looking as good as they've ever looked. Keith Rivers is also playing extremely well as is our entire defensive line.

Maualuga led the team in tackles last game and Michael Johnson has been impressive rushing the passer.

Jakey
08-29-2009, 05:22 PM
The Redskins will regret for a LONNNGG time not selecting Ringer over a special team LB from Nebraska.

For the Skins, QB Chase Daniel is on the verge of bumping Colt Brennan to the practice squad. Daniel is a smart, accurate, mobile(!!) QB who is battling hard to be the 3rd QB on the final roster. SO far he's thrown 2 TDs in pre.

Nevada rookie WR Marko Mitchell looks better already than studs Devin Thomas,( a physical clone of Andre Johnson) and former OU WR Malcolm Kelly.
Mitchell has scored two TDs and says he patterned his game after T.O.
He's 6'4, runs a 4.4, and so far looks like the WR steal of the draft.

DE/OLB Orakpo looks like the Skins designated pass rusher this year. In TC, he's frequently blown by pro bowler Chris Samuels, who lost roughly 25 pounds in the offseason to improve his quickness. Rak has a lineman's strength, ( in the pre game against the Steelers, he lifted one of their OTs off the ground!!) and the speed of an elite OLB.

Since when has Devin Thomas and Malcom Kelly been studs? At least since they left college! :D

Malaka
08-29-2009, 05:50 PM
Maualuga led the team in tackles last game and Michael Johnson has been impressive rushing the passer.

How good has he been doing in general, I liked him a lot during the draft process and I am really interested in how he's doing. I was in shock when he fell to third round, I would have loved the Giants to pick him up and groom him under Tuck and Osi.

Has he been playing harder, you know, not disappearing? That was my only concern about him, his lack of stats was a huge myth... since when is 27 tackles, 9 sacks and 1 INT unproductive for a DE, with barely any help on that Georgia Tech D?

Saints-Tigers
08-29-2009, 05:53 PM
Saints offense looks great. Glad to see Shockey is coming back stronger and more confident.

Malaka
08-29-2009, 06:01 PM
Saints offense looks great. Glad to see Shockey is coming back stronger and more confident.

I have always loved Shockey, now that he's had a another year under the system if he manages to stay healthy, I expect him to be one of the most productive TEs in the NFL especially with Drew Brees throwing the rock.

TitleTown088
08-29-2009, 07:38 PM
Raji will be a starter from day 1. But the Packers like to rotate their lineman to keep them fresh plus Raji will shift in to DT when we're in nickel packages. OROY and DROY are all about stats and Raji isn't going to complile many sacks.

He's behind Jolly and Jenkins at DE and Pickett at NT.
He'll see time at DE and NT in nickel for sure, but he's not "starting".

TitleTown088
08-29-2009, 07:50 PM
Wow, nice catch by Vincent Jackson.

MooshooGawd
08-30-2009, 12:35 AM
For the Bengals...

Rookies

Rey Maualuga - It's only been two games, but he's running around and hitting people just like he did at USC. He's a hammer.

Tom Nelson - He's an UDFA from Illinois State. He's gone from a long shot to make the squad to what appears to be a lock to make the squad. He's made plays at CB, S, and as a Punt Returner. He's got a forced fumble, a sack, and a 40 some yard punt return.

Bernard Scott - He's shown a knack for making something out of nothing. I'd like to know what his 40-time was, because this dude is fast.

Notable Vets

Chris Henry - Fantasy football players take note: Chris Henry is going to have a monster year. Through three preseason games, he's got 3 TD's and over 200 yards receiving...and that's without Carson Palmer.

Chad Ochocino - Playing like the Chad of old. He's having fun out there. He's catching the ball and making plays.

Pat Sims - He's just been a monster; straight-up unblockable at times.

Dede Dorsey/Brian Leonard - These two are fighting for the 3rd RB job, and it's a tight race. They've both looked really good.