PDA

View Full Version : who are some returners that also start?

superman
08-30-2009, 10:28 AM
i'm watching the jets game now and see leonard returning and just got curious. plus it could be helpful for fantasy leagues that count return yards.

lenard- ss & pr
hester- wr & pr
bess- wr & pr
j stewart (gets enough carries)- hb & kr
josh wilson- cb & pr/kr?

wonderbredd24
08-30-2009, 10:39 AM
Josh Cribbs continues to see more and more playing time at WR

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
08-30-2009, 10:44 AM
Leon Washington has been far outplaying Thomas Jones this pre-season, although it could mean the end of his KR/PR days if he starts.

The Dynasty
08-30-2009, 10:51 AM
Im pretty sure Leodis McKelvin falls under this category. Percy Harvin could be considered depending on if he wins the 2nd WR position.

RaiderNation
08-30-2009, 10:56 AM
Johnnie Lee Higgins can be a #3 or maybe a #2. better fit in the slot though

aNYtitan
08-30-2009, 11:55 AM
Leon Washington has been far outplaying Thomas Jones this pre-season, although it could mean the end of his KR/PR days if he starts.

I don't think so. He is an electrifying return man because of the skills that make him an effective RB. But he does not have the body to be a full time RB, he will probably always have to split carries with someone

Saints 4 Lyfe
08-30-2009, 12:04 PM
Reggie Bush.

kalbears13
08-30-2009, 12:07 PM
Jerious Norwood had the job last year, I don't know how much he'll have this year. So did Steve Breaston. Both those guys were beasts for me in the league I was in with return yards but Breaston got removed from return duties late last season though.

Malaka
08-30-2009, 12:28 PM
Hixon on the Giants last year was the starting WR when Plax was out and a return man, I don't about this year.

Bills2083
08-30-2009, 12:42 PM
Leodis McKelvin for the Bills.

derza222
08-30-2009, 12:52 PM
I don't think so. He is an electrifying return man because of the skills that make him an effective RB. But he does not have the body to be a full time RB, he will probably always have to split carries with someone

I'm sure he will always split carries, particularly in this offense because there is so much emphasis on running the ball and we have three backs. But given he is the best of the three and I think will be able to help out Sanchez the most in the passing game, he should have the opportunity to start and get the most touches of the three. In that case, given how important he is on the offense anyway and we have other explosive players on the team that are capable of returning kicks at the very least, somebody else should probably take over the KR duties.

Perhaps if Alllison makes the team he can take over some of the KR duties and get eased in. Washington really is playing like the best running back on the team by far, so hopefully he gets more touches and gets extended so he can stay with this team for a long time. But it would be a shame to have him get injured returning a kick or give him a couple less touches on offense when there are other explosive returners on the team, albeit perhaps not as good as he is. But NYJ returners have always looked good, Justin Miller was fantastic before he got hurt and Washington took over. I'm sure Allison would do a great job as well if he took over the KR duties with Washington getting more touches on offense, and to be quite honest I'd be very happy if that happened.

KCJ58
08-30-2009, 01:56 PM
Ted Ginn Jr. returned some Punts & kicks I don't how many he'll get this year

aNYtitan
08-30-2009, 02:49 PM
Ted Ginn Jr. returned some Punts & kicks I don't how many he'll get this year

What happened with Ginn Jr.? Has he worked out for the Fins?

BlindSite
08-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Ginn was always going to be a three year project, I guess this season will tell us for sure.

I don't know why teams are so reluctant to have the best man doing the job. Realistically there's not that much more of a chance of getting injured running back a kick. In fact I'm pretty sure any returned I've seen get injured recently got hurt in TC playing with the second teams, or got hurt blocking or something else, not running back a kick.

GB12
08-30-2009, 07:23 PM
Tramon Williams started 9 games last year and will be a fulltime starter once Al Harris is done.

dolphinfan2k5
08-30-2009, 08:35 PM
Well this last week, when all the starters are supposed to be starting and playing, Ginn returned two kickoffs, so I'm hopeful that means that he will be returning kicks in the season. We had just cut the guy we'd been trying there the previous two weeks though.

I don't know if I'd consider Bess a starter either. Our depth chart is very unclear right now after Ginn. Right now Brian Hartline is the other starter.

Da-Phins
08-30-2009, 09:22 PM
Well this last week, when all the starters are supposed to be starting and playing, Ginn returned two kickoffs, so I'm hopeful that means that he will be returning kicks in the season. We had just cut the guy we'd been trying there the previous two weeks though.

I don't know if I'd consider Bess a starter either. Our depth chart is very unclear right now after Ginn. Right now Brian Hartline is the other starter.

The guy's name was Chris Williams. Its a damn shame he isnt on the team anymore. He looked like he could be a good returner. He was fast and hit the holes hard and quick in the return game, but the only problem is that he couldnt catch a ball clean to save his life. Almost every kickoff or punt he caught it would bounce off his hands and he'd had to catch it again.

Da-Phins
08-30-2009, 09:26 PM
What happened with Ginn Jr.? Has he worked out for the Fins?

He's improving every year and this year he looks poise to breakout. Its like night and day compared to how he looked as a rookie to how he looks now. He use to be just fast and not quick. Only thing that was going good for him was straight line speed and his hands. Now he has improved getting off the line, his route running, he is going in the middle finally to catch the balls and now he is adding some quickness in his game. Still needs to work on being consistent though.

WMD
08-30-2009, 09:29 PM
Tramon Williams started 9 games last year and will be a fulltime starter once Al Harris is done.
I thought Will Blackmon was your #1 return man, no?

MasterShake
08-30-2009, 09:41 PM
I think as of now Desean Jackson is still returning punts because Maclin has been Mr. Dropsie.

GB12
08-30-2009, 09:47 PM
I thought Will Blackmon was your #1 return man, no?
Will Blackmon will be the primary returner this year, but Williams will be back deep with him on kicks. Williams has also been our punt returner and kick returner in the past.

I thought that counted enough for the purpose of this thread. If it's just #1s then I guess take him off.

WMD
08-30-2009, 10:06 PM
Will Blackmon will be the primary returner this year, but Williams will be back deep with him on kicks. Williams has also been our punt returner and kick returner in the past.

I thought that counted enough for the purpose of this thread. If it's just #1s then I guess take him off.
Oh I don't care what the point of the thread was. I'm just trying to get some inside info for my Fantasy league which rewards for Return Yards.

superman
08-31-2009, 05:15 AM
oh yeah i remember blackman was pretty valuable last year

ShutDwn
08-31-2009, 05:30 AM
Ginn was always going to be a three year project, I guess this season will tell us for sure.

I don't know why teams are so reluctant to have the best man doing the job. Realistically there's not that much more of a chance of getting injured running back a kick. In fact I'm pretty sure any returned I've seen get injured recently got hurt in TC playing with the second teams, or got hurt blocking or something else, not running back a kick.

It is just tiring if you have to do an extra few sprints a game and take some pretty big hits too. A starter is already taking a good amount of snaps, teams don't like overloading them if they don't have to.

Watch out for Mike Goodson, he is going to get carries and catches this year for the Panthers, and he is returning kickoffs. If this kid gets any daylight, he is insanely shifty and fast. The new wedge rules do hurt that position though. I think he could return one or two. But I'd wait until its easy to see how the Panthers will use Deangelo, Stewart and Goodson.

I don't really know of any others out there

DiG
08-31-2009, 06:28 AM
i dont know that i consider what randel el does with punts returning but hes starts at wr too at this point.

DMWSackMachine
08-31-2009, 06:47 PM
In our IDP league that counts 1 point per 25 return yards of any type, Terrence McGee was the Tiger Woods of all IDP players for three straight years. Good tackle guy, got a decent amount of deflections and picks, wasn't quite good enough in coverage to discourage a lot of traffic going his way, and basically got 1 point for every time his team allowed a score, all in addition to the fact that he was a terrific returner that occasionally took one to the house and/or had a big return.

If Leodis McKelvin has a similar set of abilities (and we've seen his dynamic ability as a returner quite a few times) then he could be the #1 IDP player in any format that counts return yardage. You have no idea how much of an advantage it is to have a defensive player scoring 12 ppg when the next best player (Ray Lewis in his prime) is getting 10 ppg and most DBs are averaging 7ish.

Take it for what its worth.

D-Unit
08-31-2009, 06:55 PM
Oh I don't care what the point of the thread was. I'm just trying to get some inside info for my Fantasy league which rewards for Return Yards.
Oh don't we all know what leage that is.... :D

WAR LEAGUE FTW!!!!

Saw Devin Thomas returning kicks...

Saw Laurence Maroney returning kicks...

Oh yea, btw... they're on my team because I did my research right. That's why I'm the champ! :p

WMD
09-01-2009, 01:12 AM
Oh don't we all know what leage that is.... :D

WAR LEAGUE FTW!!!!

Saw Devin Thomas returning kicks...

Saw Laurence Maroney returning kicks...

Oh yea, btw... they're on my team because I did my research right. That's why I'm the champ! :p
Stop stalking me! :(

jsa230
09-01-2009, 01:18 AM
Bills dst

I dont know if tramon williams will be returnings kicks or not but the packers dst is not bad to have. on offense ted ginn off the top of the head

FloridaSkinzFan
09-01-2009, 11:55 AM
Reggie Bush and Wes Welker

superman
09-01-2009, 07:10 PM
welker still returns?

Bengalsrocket
09-01-2009, 07:33 PM
welker still returns?

He did punts last year right?

tjsunstein
09-01-2009, 10:23 PM
Would you really consider Bush the starter, though? Pierre Thomas doesn't start for them?

the decider13
09-01-2009, 10:39 PM
His Royalness, Eddie Royal