PDA

View Full Version : Pats cut QB Kevin O'Connell

proshoota25
08-31-2009, 01:57 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/trainingcamp09/news/story?id=4432734

pretty surprising.... he has looked awful in the preseason games thoo.... andrew walter i guess is our backup now... what do you think?

DiG
08-31-2009, 06:53 AM
awful is an understatement. i didnt see the other games but he was miserable against the skins. but at the same time hes still really young and you guys did take him in the third round so that is surprising to see him get cut. i checked and his numbers against cincy werent that bad.

etk
08-31-2009, 08:58 AM
2 days ago someone asked me who the Patriots backup QB was and I said O'Connell

....lol

DJC
08-31-2009, 09:04 AM
They're defiantly going to be trading for a back-up now. Im really hoping its McCown.

FlyingElvis
08-31-2009, 09:25 AM
Walter will be the #2 with the hopes that Hoyer can develop into a solid backup with a longshot chance at more. I think the play of Hoyer is the real reason O'Connell got the ax. When an undrafted rookie looks better than the second year, 3rd round pick you know you're in trouble.

etk
08-31-2009, 10:08 AM
They're defiantly going to be trading for a back-up now. Im really hoping its McCown.

I was hoping it would be Leftwich, but since that's not an option I hope it's McCown as well.

JJ still has starting potential down the road and I'd like to keep him to compete with Freeman.

Don Vito
08-31-2009, 10:33 AM
O'Connell looks the part, but I guess the staff didn't envision him making too much progress. Didn't even make it through his second preseason as a third round pick, usually don't see that too much as far as QBs are concerned. I don't know if Walter is a good enough option as a #2, I would not be suprised to see us make a deal.

FlyingElvis
08-31-2009, 10:40 AM
Rumors already abound . . . AJ Feely.

We shall see.

Crickett
08-31-2009, 10:41 AM
Rumors already abound . . . AJ Feely.

We shall see.

Before week 6? :confused:

HeavyLeggedWaistBender
08-31-2009, 10:48 AM
Anyone else think they cut him so that Denver could sign him?

Orton leaving with a splint on his index figer, Brandstater (who i thought played well) might be too young and Ingle Martin is Ingle Martin...

nepg
09-02-2009, 08:08 AM
Brandstater is a Pat Hill guy, so McDaniels is good with him.

O'Connell being cut is very surprising. I thought he looked OK against the Redskins. The first INT was actually a really nice throw that hit Baker right in the shoulder. I guess they see more potential in Hoyer.

Walter will be a great backup for the Pats. I can't wait to see him in extended action this week.

nepg
09-03-2009, 11:24 AM
Somewhat confusing that O'Connell took the Lions job. A lot of competition there that won't involve him.