PDA

View Full Version : Chan Gailey fired

vidae
08-31-2009, 10:53 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/08/31/source-chiefs-chop-chan-gailey/

A source within the otherwise impenetrable walls of One Arrowhead Drive advises that the Chiefs have fired this morning offensive coordinator Chan Gailey.

Gailey survived the initial purge of assistant coaches after Todd Haley was hired in February.

Kind of shocking and weird. Two weeks before the season and they fire our OC? Hrm.

Apologies if this should go in just team boards, but it's kind of a big deal.

tjsunstein
08-31-2009, 11:06 AM
I just saw this on ESPN.com. I don't think it's that big of a surprise, more so the timing than anything. I figured Haley would want full control over the offense.

vidae
08-31-2009, 11:10 AM
I just saw this on ESPN.com. I don't think it's that big of a surprise, more so the timing than anything. I figured Haley would want full control over the offense.

I agree, but why keep him on at all if you wanted control?

The weirdest thing is, reports are that Cassel will be out 2-4 weeks and Gailey made the offense work with Thigpen in.. so the day you find out Thigpen potentially starts for a month is the day you fire the guy who made the offense work with him?

Just seems kinda weird to me, the timing of it all.

PACKmanN
08-31-2009, 11:12 AM
I understand Haley wants full control, but why fire this guy? He isn't a big name coach so i doubt he is making much...

Splat
08-31-2009, 11:16 AM
I don't agree with this move the OL is the problem not the OC.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-31-2009, 11:18 AM
I'd bet there is more going on behind the scenes to lead to this. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fighting or argument somewhere along the line. But instead of handling it like Cable did, Haley just chose to fire him. Probably a philosophical difference between the two, or Haley probably took some playcalling power away, which could result in this.. Either way, I bet there is a lot more that happened to lead to this all of a sudden.

tjsunstein
08-31-2009, 11:40 AM
I'd bet there is more going on behind the scenes to lead to this. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a fighting or argument somewhere along the line. But instead of handling it like Cable did, Haley just chose to fire him. Probably a philosophical difference between the two, or Haley probably took some playcalling power away, which could result in this.. Either way, I bet there is a lot more that happened to lead to this all of a sudden.

Absolutely no doubt about that. I don't think Haley or anyone in that organization would just fire the guy out of nowhere with the season kicking off two weeks away. Vidae also has a great point. He made this offense work with Thigpen last year. It would make sense to keep him around. I'd have to wait to find out the motives until making a judgement call.

NY+Giants=NYG
08-31-2009, 12:34 PM
Absolutely no doubt about that. I don't think Haley or anyone in that organization would just fire the guy out of nowhere with the season kicking off two weeks away. Vidae also has a great point. He made this offense work with Thigpen last year. It would make sense to keep him around. I'd have to wait to find out the motives until making a judgement call.

That's coaching at all levels though. The industry is quite fickle, and cliquey, like middle school. So and so hates the HC at this school or program, while is very close with a HC from another. That's one thing fans, at all levels, of the game don't see. It's very catty, for a lack of a better word, so I am not surprised when I see something like this. Even when on my staff when I coached, there was some issues about liking each other, and this was D3. Add NFL sized egos and money to the equation, and I am sure it's a lot worse. But one thing is for sure in the NFL, the coaches do take care of each other. It's like one big fraternity in it's own right.

Basileus777
08-31-2009, 12:34 PM
I agree, but why keep him on at all if you wanted control?

The weirdest thing is, reports are that Cassel will be out 2-4 weeks and Gailey made the offense work with Thigpen in.. so the day you find out Thigpen potentially starts for a month is the day you fire the guy who made the offense work with him?

Just seems kinda weird to me, the timing of it all.

Croyle is going to start over Thigpen anyway.

Haley hasn't been happy with the way the offense has performed this camp and pre-season. That's probably a big factor here.

Splat
08-31-2009, 12:35 PM
Croyle is going to start over Thigpen anyway.

I would think so to he fits the system better and has had a better camp.

Basileus777
08-31-2009, 12:42 PM
I would think so to he fits the system better and has had a better camp.

Being able to take a snap from behind center certainly doesn't hurt. I can't see Haley wanting to run Gailey's spread offense from last year.

Now hopefully Baltimore won't kill Brokie and he can survive until Cassel is back.

Splat
08-31-2009, 12:44 PM
There is a good chance both will play even if Cassel was ready to go I would think about holding him out and give him another week off.

T-RICH49
08-31-2009, 12:52 PM
why did'nt they chop the offensive line coach too.they're the real source of my offensive frustration

Basileus777
08-31-2009, 01:05 PM
Haley has taken over as OC and QB coach.

Apparently Chan Gailey will remain with the team in some capacity...his role is currently being discussed.

Stash
08-31-2009, 02:13 PM
I thought I heard he was just stripped of his play calling duties, but I'm not sure.

Splat
08-31-2009, 02:52 PM
http://www.kcchiefs.com/news/2009/08/31/access_training_camp_blog__short_week_big_distract ion/

GAILEY RELEASES STATEMENT

“There’s never great timing for situations like this. However, Todd has to do what’s best for the team and for the future of the Chiefs. I respect that. It didn’t work out for us, but I certainly think that he has a very fine offensive mind and I feel very fortunate to have worked for the Chiefs these past two years.

“I look forward to seeing how I might be able to help the franchise in the near future in other areas.”

vidae
08-31-2009, 04:58 PM
Interesting. Everything I read/heard on tv pointed directly to his firing. Wonder what's going on there now.

Calvin & Kevin
08-31-2009, 07:20 PM
Maybe Haley intended to take over as OC all along but kept Gailey on during camp and preseason to help do the work of installing the offense, evaluating players, and all the other hundred little tasks that gotta get done before the season starts. Now that it's almost here, Haley moves him out so he can take over the primary game planning and play calling for the regular season. Just a thought.