PDA

View Full Version : Who is the best rookie of the preseason...

D-Unit
09-01-2009, 06:28 PM
So far ???

TACKLE
09-01-2009, 06:36 PM
Glenn Coffee and Nick Reed have both beasted.

FloridaSkinzFan
09-01-2009, 06:41 PM
Brian Orakpo

NY+Giants=NYG
09-01-2009, 06:55 PM
Nicks! First in yards for a rookie in this preseason. He has managed to catch the coaching staff's eye, and has elevated himself on the depth chart. So good preseason and end of TC for a guy who had a VERY slow beggining of training camp.

bigbluedefense
09-01-2009, 07:28 PM
Shady McCoy and Donald Brown have been beasting it, as well as Glenn Coffee. Orakpo on defense.

My boy Clint Sintim is lookin like pure sex, but he won't see much playing time this year bc Coughlin never starts rookies.

TitanHope
09-01-2009, 07:28 PM
I won't go as far as to say he's the best rookie so far, but 3rd RD'er Jared Cook is a man. 1st in receptions among rookies, and 3rd in receiving yards. He lines up all over the field, and his hands have been fly traps. Absolutely worth trading our 2010 2nd RD pick for.

On defense, 4th RD'er Gerald McRath is a machine. He's 1st in solo tackles, and t-2nd in total tackles - the player he's tied with is fellow Titans rookie Jason McCourty. McRath also has a fumble recovery. He's always around the ball it seems.

For the other Titans rookies, they look like an excellent crop. Combined, I'll be so bold as to say they've been the best group this preseason.

1st RD'er Kenny Britt has also been very good for us (7th in receiving yards, t-9th in receptions).

2nd RD'er SenDerrick Marks doesn't like he'll contribute immediately (great DT depth with Tony Brown, Jason Jones, and Jovan Haye has something to do with it though), but he does have 1 sack.

3rd RD'er Ryan Mouton has a TD on an INT return, and looked great before he sprained his ankle. I'll go as far as to say he's a poor man's "Gallaga" Jones, but isn't a dumbass which evens things out.

4th RD'er Troy Kropog has played LT this season, and has done well in pass-protection.

It looks like we have a good 3rd RB with 5th RD'er Javon Ringer (7th in rushing yards, 14th in YPC with nearly 6 yards per carry).

6th RD'er Jason McCourty is on his way towards becoming a true Titans CB as he's t-2nd in solo tackles, t-2nd in total tackles, and has 1 INT and 3 PD's - looks like a gem of the Draft.

Of the last 3 picks, Dominique Edison looks excellent. Ryan Durand and Nick Schommer look like they won't make the roster. Dudley Guice hasn't had much playing time, but hopefully he lands on the PS. Mitch King has played limited time, but has a forced fumble.

fenikz
09-01-2009, 07:52 PM
7 carries 46 yards 2 TD for Wells in his 1 game

vidae
09-01-2009, 08:15 PM
Quick, everyone post the rookies from their team!

Tyson Jackson is a dominator!

HawkEye30
09-01-2009, 08:18 PM
[QUOTE=vidae-KC;1775238]Quick, everyone post the rookies from their team!
QUOTE]

haha that's exactly what this is going to turn into, so of course i have to say nick reed

The Legend
09-01-2009, 08:23 PM
NICK REED Hands down

Hines
09-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Mike Wallace is playing very well. I dont know if you'd call him a rookie, but Stefan Logan is opening many eyes. Ziggy has 3 sacks.

keylime_5
09-01-2009, 08:32 PM
Michael Crabtree...oh wait.

Da-Phins
09-01-2009, 08:39 PM
Gotta be Nick Reed. He's been beasting it in every game.

PACKmanN
09-01-2009, 08:45 PM
The Packers' rookies, yeah, I said it.

09-01-2009, 08:47 PM
Nick Reed, by far. The dude even recorded an INT! A good chunk of Coffee's yard total came against my Raiders. We simply cannot stop anybody right now. Seriously.

senormysterioso
09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
The Packers' rookies, yeah, I said it.

Has Matthews played a down yet? Both he and Raji were out the game that I went to

T-RICH49
09-01-2009, 08:48 PM
T JAX has 1.5 sacks and has looked real good

AkiliSmith
09-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Sanchez has been pretty impressive for a rookie QB

jnew76
09-01-2009, 09:17 PM
for me it is Donald Brown. He is a perfect fit in the offense and has showed great vision and burst. Beanie Wells showed his elite skills in his first game, but I need to see more. Bernard Scott has been amazing for the Bengals and could be the first rookie RB to start this year. I have also liked Jared Cook and Lesean McCoy, but overall I have to go with Brown so far.

TACKLE
09-01-2009, 09:27 PM
I don't know how Nick Reed is so good but he is. On paper, he has no athletic ability and is small at 6'1 245. Though in his final two season at Oregon. he had an amazing 25 sacks and 42.5 TFL's. People like to say its all motor but I think its more than that. He's just a damn good defensive end with a the natural ability of getting after the quarterback.

Cicero
09-01-2009, 09:29 PM
Nick Reed = preseason MVP so far.

gpngc
09-01-2009, 09:44 PM
LeSean McCoy might be good but he has not looked very good this preseason at all.

GhostDeini
09-01-2009, 09:58 PM
Not suprised at all these RB's being mentioned. It's the easiest position to make the jump. They do afterall win most of the ROY awards. So I'ma go a different route. From what I've seen Vontae Davis has shown to be a good wrap up tackler for a rookie CB.

asdf1223
09-01-2009, 09:59 PM
Nick Reed 7 Tackles 4 Sacks, 1 fumble forced 1 pick

tjsunstein
09-01-2009, 10:20 PM
So someone made an account in Dec. '08 just to post Nick Reed's stats?

He has been impressive but I like what I see out of Beanie.

TitanHope
09-01-2009, 11:27 PM
Quick, everyone post the rookies from their team!

There are other rookies besides the Titans rooks? Is that what you're saying?

Pfft, nice try buddy. I ain't gonna fall for that one!

FuzzyGopher
09-01-2009, 11:33 PM
T JAX has 1.5 sacks and has looked real good

Woah there chief. There can only be 1 T Jax in the NFL. So your gonna have to wait until Tarvaris Jackson heads to the CFL before you can call Tyson Jackson that.

PACKmanN
09-01-2009, 11:52 PM
Has Matthews played a down yet? Both he and Raji were out the game that I went to

why do we have to waster Raji's and Matthew's time with the preseason? They're ****** beasts!

fischbowl
09-02-2009, 12:04 AM
The Sex and his two INTs in the Bears game. Not to mention he's the sex

OneToughGame
09-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Nick Reed easily.

nrk
09-02-2009, 12:20 AM
So someone made an account in Dec. '08 just to post Nick Reed's stats?

He has been impressive but I like what I see out of Beanie.

Nick Reed is obviously the only thing worth posting about!

Brent
09-02-2009, 01:21 AM
http://www4.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/San+Francisco+49ers+Training+Camp+eOJXaJLTDVgl.jpg

vidae
09-02-2009, 01:43 AM
Woah there chief. There can only be 1 T Jax in the NFL. So your gonna have to wait until Tarvaris Jackson heads to the CFL before you can call Tyson Jackson that.

So we have to wait until the end of the year?

BlindSite
09-02-2009, 04:17 AM
He plays for san fran and he's named is a drink

LizardState
09-02-2009, 08:21 AM
He plays for san fran and he's named is a drink

And wears #29 for the 9ers, a 3rd rd. steal for them so far. His name was the 1st mentioned here & he deserves the preseason ROY award. Coffee ran all over Denver & the Raiders + got good yardage vs. the Dallas starters. Great vision, good cutback ability, no ball control issue, waits for his blockers & can break the big play anytime.

In terms of team value Coffee is neck & neck with Nicks, who's going to be thrust into a starting role as a top Eli target b/c (A) he's not named Steve Smith, & (B) no Plaxico no mo in G-manland. Coffee, maybe a situational back, could become an every-down player b/c Gore had knee surgery on both knees at the U. of Miami & has that risk factor. Coffee got it done between the tackles too in the SEC West for the Tide, maybe will do it in the NFL. If he continues to have an excellent September like he did August Coffee can stir up trade rumors for still-unsigned & imprisoned by inertia Crabtree for the effective pass rusher they need desperately in EssEff.

Why no mention of Pharaoh Ramses the 1st Barden here for the G-Men? All the pundits had him picked as the preseason Impact Rookie.

Rob S
09-02-2009, 08:48 AM
The Sex and his two INTs in the Bears game. Not to mention he's the sex

/thread....

dolphinfan2k5
09-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Not suprised at all these RB's being mentioned. It's the easiest position to make the jump. They do afterall win most of the ROY awards. So I'ma go a different route. From what I've seen Vontae Davis has shown to be a good wrap up tackler for a rookie CB.

Davis could always tackle, that's not the question with him. He's done a fine job, but Sean Smith is definitely outplaying him thus far.

etk
09-02-2009, 02:14 PM
This has turned into every other "best" thread in this NFL forum....

so I'll join in on the fun. Sammie Stroughter has had a great camp and preseason. He's quick, has sticky hands, covers punts and kicks and has had some nice returns. He's the "definition of a football player" (one of my favorite cliches).

Stroughter is nowhere near the best rookie of the preseason though.

Keep posting rookies from your team guys. It might ruin the purpose of the thread but some of us would like to know which rookies are doing well so far.

HawkEye30
09-02-2009, 03:12 PM
Nick Reed 7 Tackles 4 Sacks, 1 fumble forced 1 pick

not to mention he got a tip on that one punt in the broncos game, he's got nice spin move to

Babylon
09-02-2009, 04:41 PM
I think James Laurinaitis starts for the Rams, not sure about the best but that's a nice accomplishment for a rookie if it does happen.

Go_Eagles77
09-02-2009, 06:50 PM
LeSean McCoy might be good but he has not looked very good this preseason at all.
He hasn't looked good when he has defensive lineman right on top of him the second he's handed the ball, but then again neither does Brian Westbrook, or anyone for that matter. The O-Line has been really banged up and he hasn't had more than 3/5ths of the starting O-Line to run behind all preseason. When he gets the ball in open space he has been very dangerous and he's tied for 2nd among rookies (with Jeremy Maclin) in receptions.

YAYareaRB
09-02-2009, 06:52 PM
I think James Laurinaitis starts for the Rams, not sure about the best but that's a nice accomplishment for a rookie if it does happen.

Aren't him and Dominic Douglas (another rookie) the only MLBs on the team? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Babylon
09-02-2009, 07:07 PM
Aren't him and Dominic Douglas (another rookie) the only MLBs on the team? Correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't believe you're wrong. Not much depth there is there?

themaninblack
09-02-2009, 10:36 PM
Though he may not have shown up very much in the way of stats, Bernard Scott has looked amazing this preseason(aside from that fumble of course). I just hope he can keep his head on straight because the talent is DEFINITELY there.

Beans
09-02-2009, 10:49 PM
I'll agree with etk that Sammie Stroughter has been a great pickup for the Bucs

WMD
09-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I'll stick to the trend and discuss just my team. I actually haven't seen as much of the preseason as I would've liked so far.. but none of the Lions rookies have really impressed me. Stafford has looked good, but he's a rookie and I'm not expecting much this year. The only other rookie that has caught my eye would be Aaron Brown. Looks like he could be a threat to take it the distance very often, especially if we can get him in some open space.

juSO95NpIEQ

FUNBUNCHER
09-02-2009, 11:00 PM
The Lions have some young weapons for Stafford, no doubt.

Isn't Derrick Williams on the roster too??

If they go 6-10, I wouldn't shocked at all.

tjsunstein
09-02-2009, 11:30 PM
The Lions have some young weapons for Stafford, no doubt.

Isn't Derrick Williams on the roster too??

If they go 6-10, I wouldn't shocked at all.

Yes, Derrick Williams was drafted by the Lions in the 3rd round; 18th pick to be exact. Welcome to the Scott Wright's Draft Countdown forum where things like that are common sense.

Andre Brown looked incredibly shifty in that highlight. How has he looked on a down to down basis? Like WMD, I haven't caught as much preseason ball as I would have liked to.

gpngc
09-02-2009, 11:40 PM
Yes, Derrick Williams was drafted by the Lions in the 3rd round; 18th pick to be exact. Welcome to the Scott Wright's Draft Countdown forum where things like that are common sense.

Andre Brown looked incredibly shifty in that highlight. How has he looked on a down to down basis? Like WMD, I haven't caught as much preseason ball as I would have liked to.

LOL

Brown looked like a fast player running against slow scrub players in wide open space in that highlight.

The Dolphins went from 1-15 to 11-5 so 6-10 isn't surprising at all. It's not even like they were that terrible at 0-16, they had a few fourth Q leads and definitely have the talent to compete. It's not like they were blown out every single Sunday. Dare I say 8-8.

FUNBUNCHER
09-02-2009, 11:44 PM

Excuse me for not knowing every draft pick for all 32 teams in 2009.:confused:

tjsunstein
09-02-2009, 11:47 PM
LOL

Brown looked like a fast player running against slow scrub players in wide open space in that highlight.

The Dolphins went from 1-15 to 11-5 so 6-10 isn't surprising at all. It's not even like they were that terrible at 0-16, they had a few fourth Q leads and definitely have the talent to compete. It's not like they were blown out every single Sunday. Dare I say 8-8.

You're getting way too ahead of yourself if you believe 8-8. Maybe in the 2010-2011 season if everything clicks but they still have a little dilemna at quarterback and a defense that needs to step up if they want any shot at more than 4 wins.

Bills2083
09-02-2009, 11:59 PM
I'll stick to the trend and discuss just my team. I actually haven't seen as much of the preseason as I would've liked so far.. but none of the Lions rookies have really impressed me. Stafford has looked good, but he's a rookie and I'm not expecting much this year. The only other rookie that has caught my eye would be Aaron Brown. Looks like he could be a threat to take it the distance very often, especially if we can get him in some open space.

juSO95NpIEQ

what round was Brown drafted in?

and btw, my fellow Bills fans have already ended this thread.
The Sex is the best.

WMD
09-03-2009, 12:42 AM
what round was Brown drafted in?

and btw, my fellow Bills fans have already ended this thread.
The Sex is the best.
6th Round pick

Brent
09-03-2009, 12:50 AM
Aaron Brown
I loved him at TCU, I hope he kicks ass for Detroit. Totally underrated.

d34ng3l021
09-03-2009, 01:00 AM
6th Round pick

The only reason he got those 2 TDs were because of #42. On the first play, he took one of the worst angles I have ever seen. So out of place. And the 2nd TD he gets juked out of his shoes.

Aaron Brown looks good though.

killxswitch
09-03-2009, 07:38 AM
It seems like this is turning into a "what are notable rookies on your team doing" thread, so here's my report on Colts rookies:

Donald Brown - Drawn a lot of comparisons to Maurice Jones-Drew, he's breaking tackles well and runs with some power. He makes a cut and goes. He and Addai should be good compliments to each other. The OL hasn't given him as many chances to actually run as you would like.

Fili Moala - He's improving but he hasn't looked very good so far. Gets too tall and pushed out of the play, which was a criticism at USC I believe. He's playing like he thinks he's still bigger and stronger than everybody. He's playing like a rookie. It's to be expected.

Austin Collie - Will probably be the WR3, in the slot. He reminds a lot of people of Brandon Stokely in his hey day.

Terrance Taylor - Hasn't done anything to distinguish himself, but hasn't sucked either. Will probably make the team.

Curtis Painter - Has shown significant improvement in each preseason game. I would much prefer him to Sorgi as the QB2. Rolls out too much and still skips passes in front of the receiver sometimes, but has also thrown some bullets into small windows, sometimes on the run.

Pat McAfee - Looks like Scifres on occasion. Not all his punts are bombs but he can really get it up in the air. He is an upgrade and worth the price paid to get him.

LizardState
09-03-2009, 12:23 PM
I'll agree with etk that Sammie Stroughter has been a great pickup for the Bucs

Browns CB Coye Francies told me at SJSU that Stroughter was the best WR he had ever covered, or try to cover in his yr. at Oregon St.