PDA

View Full Version : Surprise move -- Lions release

BcLion
09-02-2009, 11:45 AM
Surprise move -- Lions release CB Keith Smith
by Tom Kowalski
Wednesday September 02, 2009, 10:28 AM

The Detroit Lions released cornerback Keith Smith.ALLEN PARK -- To make room for recently acquired quarterback Kevin O'Connell, the Lions have released cornerback Keith Smith.

Given the problems of the secondary -- especially being light going into the final preseason game tomorrow -- it's a surprising move. Smith was Detroit's best downfield on-ball defender last year, but he never stepped up in training camp this season.

Smith was out for an extended period of time with a groin injury and head coach Jim Schwartz said he wasn't consistent when he returned. Smith was a third-round draft pick in 2004 and now that he's gone, linebacker Ernie Sims (first round, 2006) remains the only player still with the Lions was drafted in the five span of 2002-2006. That's a total of 39 draft players.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
You may be wondering why I posted this article about Kieth Smith and thought why does this deserve its own thread.

He doesnt.

Reread that last paragraph, specifically "Smith was a third-round draft pick in 2004 and now that he's gone, linebacker Ernie Sims (first round, 2006) remains the only player still with the Lions was drafted in the five span of 2002-2006. That's a total of 39 draft players."

1 out of 39 players for four years drafting?

That is criminal.

trkaline
09-02-2009, 11:59 AM
And that is why they are a horrible orginization and horrible football team.

Xiomera
09-02-2009, 12:13 PM
Who exactly are our corners?

Henry, Buchanon, King, ...

Are any of them even healthy? haha

FlyingElvis
09-02-2009, 12:20 PM
That's pretty crazy. Quite the legacy left in Millen's wake. :rolleyes:

On another note: How does Tom Kowalski get by with such shoddy writing? At the very least an editor should lose their job for allowing a sentence as broken as this one to reach the public --> "Smith was a third-round draft pick in 2004 and now that he's gone, linebacker Ernie Sims (first round, 2006) remains the only player still with the Lions was drafted in the five span of 2002-2006."

Fixed in the hopes that just one person learns the value of decent writing --> Smith was a third-round draft pick in 2004 and now that he's gone linebacker Ernie Sims (first round, 2006) remains the only player still with the Lions drafted in the five year span of 2002-2006.

P-L
09-02-2009, 01:42 PM
On another note: How does Tom Kowalski get by with such shoddy writing?The content of his articles usually bothers me more than his grammar.

SINCE1978
09-02-2009, 05:30 PM
The content of his articles usually bothers me more than his grammar.

Why is this a surprise? Killer says so?
Nothing against Smith as a person but the more Millen-steeped players I see hit the road the better! I mean Smith had started only 4 games in 5 seasons and that was on a bottom 3rd ranked defense each of those years. Plus he is coming off a 14 tackle performance in 2008, ouch. A special teams & nickle contributor I'll give you that, but another healthy disappointment for a 3rd rd selection imho.

Babylon
09-02-2009, 05:43 PM
When you get rid of someone off an 0-16 team i dont think you should be too surprised. I actually see some wins this year and not just a couple.

Brothgar
09-03-2009, 06:45 AM
The Lions replaced Keith Smith with Cletis Gordon off from waiver wire today.