PDA

View Full Version : NFCN vs. AFCS

awfullyquiet
09-03-2009, 09:38 AM
which is tougher to play in this year.

discuss.

YAYareaRB
09-03-2009, 09:43 AM
Tough one. I'll go with AFC South because the talent on the teams is more balanced. In the NFC North the Lions create a HUGE drop off from 3rd place to 4th place.

wicket
09-03-2009, 09:52 AM
AFC south is tougher by a fair margin imo

stephenson86
09-03-2009, 10:00 AM
i think AFCS is the hardest division in football right now 3 teams can win it, jacksonville will be no pushover though

YAYareaRB
09-03-2009, 10:01 AM
i think AFCS is the hardest division in football right now 3 teams can win it, jacksonville will be no pushover though

These guys would like a word with you..

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/nfc_preview_080820_WIDE.jpg

stephenson86
09-03-2009, 10:06 AM

http://static.nfl.com/static/content/catch_all/nfl_image/nfc_preview_080820_WIDE.jpg

i dno, i think the AFCS has gotten stronger whereas i personally think the NFCE has gotten weaker

vidae
09-03-2009, 10:17 AM

One of these is not like the others! One of these just doesn't belong!

I'm going to go against the group here and say the NFCN. The Packers are looking strong, the Bears have some new weapons and the Vikings are still going to be able to pound the ball. Yeah, the Lions were bad last year, but they've made some nice moves in the right direction and I honestly think they'll be better than people expect this year.

YAYareaRB
09-03-2009, 10:21 AM
One of these is not like the others! One of these just doesn't belong!

I'm going to go against the group here and say the NFCN. The Packers are looking strong, the Bears have some new weapons and the Vikings are still going to be able to pound the ball. Yeah, the Lions were bad last year, but they've made some nice moves in the right direction and I honestly think they'll be better than people expect this year.

They could have God playing QB but the fact of the matter is Rod Marinelli is still there.

vidae
09-03-2009, 10:22 AM
They could have God playing QB but the fact of the matter is Rod Marinelli is still there.

I didn't think anyone questioned Marinelli as an assistant/defensive coach. He's the dline coach of Chicago, isn't he? I think that unit will actually be better with him there but I could be wrong.

awfullyquiet
09-03-2009, 10:23 AM
i dno, i think the AFCS has gotten stronger whereas i personally think the NFCE has gotten weaker

that's my opinion...

i can see all four of those teams going 8-8.... whereas the NFCN and the AFCS both have 3 legitimate contenders...

seriously. want to argue you little punks? i'll tear you to shreds.

The difference between jax and detroit is the fact that the jags are a marginally better team... in a stronger conference... i still wouldn't be surprised if they go 0-6 vs the afcs... detroit on the other hand, if chicago has a lock on a playoff spot... might let detroit have week 17... they're both, at best, 6-10 teams who'll probably get owned in their own division. if you're looking at legitimate top 3 contenders, houston, indy, tenn, vs minn, gb, and chi... i think it's a fair fight...

wicket
09-03-2009, 10:24 AM

IMO the NFCS is better than the NFCE at the moment

awfullyquiet
09-03-2009, 10:28 AM
I didn't think anyone questioned Marinelli as an assistant/defensive coach. He's the dline coach of Chicago, isn't he? I think that unit will actually be better with him there but I could be wrong.

correct, and correct.

he coached one of the best defensive lines of the decade in tampa... and he coached a team with the second worst GM in the league over the same period of time... i'd take his former experience over his latter one as a good benchmark for his performance...

that said, matt millen might be awful as a gm. he is a great guy. as much as i want to hate him for screwing over the lions... he's a great commentator, knows his stuff...

tjsunstein
09-03-2009, 10:40 AM
I want to say NFCN but I think that the AFCS has the advantage this year. Then again, I don't think as highly of the Bears and Vikings as I probably should but that comes with the territory. The AFCS has some pretty scary offenses in Indianapolis, Houston, and Tennessee and all for different reasons but they're defense is suspect where as only the Packers of the NFCN, imo, are as balanced as they should be. I still have my doubts about the Vikings offense, the Bears secondary, and the Lions as a team, though, which leaves me with more doubts about the NFCN than the AFCS.

AntoinCD
09-03-2009, 10:43 AM
I actually have to go for the NFCN. As an overall division I think its stronger. I personally feel that 3 teams in the north could win the AFCS. Obviously Manning gets the AFCS a big vote but really after that the NFCN outranks pretty much everything. There is 2 second level quarterbacks, the best runningback, a very promising all purpose back in Forte, Megatron, Farve, a promising looking defense in Green Bay, an above average defense in Chicago, the best run defense consistently in the league and the Lions can only get better. As for the AFCS, you have Manning and the Colts passing attack, Andre Johnson and Mario Williams and DeMeco Ryans and Steve Slaton for the Texans, the defensive backs for the Titans along with Bulluck and Van Dan Bosch, and MJD. Really im not expecting big things from the AFCS this year whereas the NFCN should be a great 3 horse race with the Lions also improving

AntoinCD
09-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Also forgot to mention Freeney and Mathis and the Titans run game but my point still stands

awfullyquiet
09-03-2009, 10:49 AM
i think people forget that houston plays good defense.

Brothgar
09-03-2009, 10:50 AM
i think people forget that houston plays good defense.

True but they did lose alot of guys I liked.

drowe
09-03-2009, 10:52 AM
Hard to say. the AFC South was tough last year and everything seems to be the same this year.

The NFC North has 3 teams that were ok last year and made dramatic changes this year.

so, until they show differently, it's the AFCS

yourfavestoner
09-03-2009, 10:55 AM
I'm an AFC South fan, and I'll say the NFCN will be tougher this year. The AFC South is in for a down year IMO.

falloutboy14
09-03-2009, 11:16 AM
I think if you compare positions, the divisions come out about the same. The AFCS has the best qb, but the NFCN has #2 & 3 (Cutler & Rodgers). The AFCS has 3 of the top 5 pass-rushing DEs in the league, while the NFCN has the Williams wall & Tommie Harris inside.

Here's a question which may be worth mentioning for the arguments. 3 times since the divisions reshuffled in '02 a team has had a 12-4 record, and had to settle for a wild-card team (meaning another team in the division had a 12-4 or better record). All 3 times its been in the AFCS.

And also, since the '02 reshuffle, I'd be willing to put money on the table that the NFCN has never had a better combined record then the AFCS. If you want to say, "Well with the Lions ..." then you can take them off, and count the top 3 teams in the AFCS I bet it'd still be correct.

wicket
09-03-2009, 11:18 AM
I think if you compare positions, the divisions come out about the same. The AFCS has the best qb, but the NFCN has #2 & 3 (Cutler & Rodgers). The AFCS has 3 of the top 5 pass-rushing DEs in the league, while the NFCN has the Williams wall & Tommie Harris inside.

Here's a question which may be worth mentioning for the arguments. 3 times since the divisions reshuffled in '02 a team has had a 12-4 record, and had to settle for a wild-card team (meaning another team in the division had a 12-4 or better record). All 3 times its been in the AFCS.

And also, since the '02 reshuffle, I'd be willing to put money on the table that the NFCN has never had a better combined record then the AFCS. If you want to say, "Well with the Lions ..." then you can take them off, and count the top 3 teams in the AFCS I bet it'd still be correct.

really? Of course its something that is subjective but it feels really far fetched tbh

yourfavestoner
09-03-2009, 11:29 AM
really? Of course its something that is subjective but it feels really far fetched tbh

Freeney, Mathis, and Super Mario.

falloutboy14
09-03-2009, 11:45 AM
I was imagining Peppers & Jared Allen as the other two. I suppose Umenyora(sp) or Tuck could be in the top 5 just as easily.

Since I think Mathis is the most in question. He's averaging 10-11 sacks a season, & the man is a fumble machine. 28 FF the last 5 years. Pretty sure that's a league high over that time.

CashmoneyDrew
09-03-2009, 12:30 PM

A Healthy KVB is nothing to sneeze at either.

thenewfeature06
09-03-2009, 12:50 PM
NFCN. The pack is back, bears finally have a franchise qb and will be solid on defense again, Lions will eventually get better...and then the vikes have the best running back in the league along with a fantastic defense..Dungy is gone is Indy which IMO will hurt the colts, jacksonville i honestly have no idea how they will play and i think the titans will take a step or 2 back but houston will take a step forward

drowe
09-03-2009, 12:54 PM

yup. i went back and looked. it was never close

i just added up total number of wins of the 4 teams in each division for each year. didn't go through the work of taking the lions out of the equation because really..it wasn't even close.

2008-yup. having some wins from the lions would've helped.
North-25
South-38

2007-wow. AFCS was beastly this year.
North-35
South-42

North-30
South-34

North-29
South-32

North-29
South-33

North-31
South-34

North-25---really. the packers had half the wins.
South-31

AntoinCD
09-03-2009, 03:43 PM

Freeney and Mario are givens but I wouldn't put Mathis there.

I would say in no order;

Freeney, Mario, Allen, Peppers, Abraham, Osi, Tuck all above Mathis.

TitanHope
09-03-2009, 04:03 PM
yup. i went back and looked. it was never close

i just added up total number of wins of the 4 teams in each division for each year. didn't go through the work of taking the lions out of the equation because really..it wasn't even close.

It wouldn't be fair to discount the Lions. The Texans were a friggin' expansion team.

Brothgar
09-03-2009, 05:57 PM
It wouldn't be fair to discount the Lions. The Texans were a friggin' expansion team.

Yeah but we had Matt Millen as our GM which is 10X worse than being an expansion team.

xxxxxxxx
09-03-2009, 07:03 PM
why is this a discussion? the NFCE is 10x worse than both..

datchapin
09-03-2009, 07:09 PM
I'm going with the AFCS. Last yr. was a down yr. for the Jags. they were totally plagued by injuries. Before that though they were the most physical smash mouth team in the south. Last couple of yrs. the Titans have become a better team, (taking VY out, sadly made them better.) The Colts, y'know every year I think this is the yr. they fall off, yet every yr. they turn out a good team so you know what I'm not dicounting them yet. My team, is also a better team this yr. So in the south any of them could take it and 2 others might have a shot at the playoffs with the other close behind.

The north, I respect the Vikings, but I don't think Favre will make them that much better, he takes to many risks and that line hasn't really been known for it's pass blocking. (I don't really like them cuz' Allen took out our QB last yr. in a bad play and Favre almost took out another guy this yr. in another bad play. That aside I won't deny their a good team.) However the Vikes will only fare as well as their QB's so who knows. The Bears and Packers are both improved, they would definetely contend in the south. The Lions look improved, but I'm not buying until they show up in the regular season.

Looking at the schedule we both play the NFC west, yay, I hope. However the NFCN plays the AFCN, and we play the AFCE. I hope the south does good.

All that being said, I'm surprised the NFCE wasn't mentioned.

datchapin
09-03-2009, 07:11 PM
Yeah but we had Matt Millen as our GM which is 10X worse than being an expansion team.

Oh yeah, we had Charlie Casserly and Dom Capers heading up our team.

Why is it I suddenly feel sad.

GB12
09-03-2009, 09:35 PM
Hahahaha. Post fail.

why is this a discussion? the NFCE is 10x worse than both..Another post fail?

TitanHope
09-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Oh yeah, we had Charlie Casserly and Dom Capers heading up our team.

Why is it I suddenly feel sad.

Casserly picked Mario Williams over Reggie Bush and Vince Young before he was fired, so at least he left ya'll with a going away present! :D

Brothgar
09-03-2009, 09:56 PM
Another post fail?

Could be a typo the e and the w are close together which would make it a proof reading fail.

stephenson86
09-04-2009, 08:59 AM
A Healthy KVB is nothing to sneeze at either.

and jacob ford and william hayes :D

7-11
09-07-2009, 01:21 AM
I want to see Matt Schaub injury free for 25 minutes and some resemblance of a secondary before i rate Houston as highly as some of you guys...seriously i think i saw the word contender next to their name.