PDA

View Full Version : Darby and Cason released! Discuss cuts here!

WMD
09-05-2009, 01:08 PM
http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/09/reports_lions_release_billy_cu.html

Billy Cundiff too. Great news, Darby and Cason are bums.

Prowler
09-05-2009, 02:22 PM
darby was instrumental in our efforts against the run last year. how will we ever repeat our perfection without him?

SINCE1978
09-05-2009, 04:39 PM
I have never understood what the Lion's have liked so much about Cason as a RB/KR ... finally he's out.

Regarding other teams cuts: Deltha O'Neil CB & former 1st rd pick, was released by the Houston Texans today. I would give him a look since we are very thin at CB.

PACKmanN
09-05-2009, 04:40 PM
The same Houston Texans who are also thin at CB?

Calvin & Kevin
09-05-2009, 04:48 PM
Deltha O'neil is freaking ancient. I'd sooner give Demarcus Faggins a shot.

SINCE1978
09-05-2009, 05:13 PM
The same Houston Texans who are also thin at CB?

THE BLUE JAYS WILL WIN THE WILD CARD, MARK IT DOWN!

Really, were you joking with someone about this or serious? The Jays are 18.5 out of the wild card today. Oh and giving away Rios & shopping the best pitcher in the game are not moves play-off contenders make in Aug/Sept so I hope you were just showing a little Canadian bias on that one.

(lol ... just poking some fun)

As for football related matters: I was just saying CB is a position of concern for the Lions and O'Neil is a guy who has had some success in the league and may be worth a look since we have first draw on the the waiver wire.

WMD
09-05-2009, 06:40 PM
We should give Jack Ikegwuonu a shot. He was released by the Eagles, he seemed like a good enough prospect a few years ago.

Jimmy
09-05-2009, 06:42 PM
the only thing i know about cason is that he's a scrub. and he is fast in madden.

WMD
09-05-2009, 08:42 PM
Cuts::

LB Rufus Alexander
QB Brooks Bollinger
G Milford Brown
TE Carson Butler
RB Aveion Cason
WR Keary Colbert
DE Sean Conover
K Billy Cundiff
DT Chuck Darby
RB Tristan Davis
LB Zack Follett
C Dan Gerberry
TE Dan Gronkowski
WR Dane Looker
DB Calvin Lowry
T Lydon Murtha
DB Ramzee Robinson
DB Stuart Schweigert
DT Shaun Smith
LB Spenser Smith
WR John Standeford

SINCE1978
09-05-2009, 09:15 PM
We should give Jack Ikegwuonu a shot. He was released by the Eagles, he seemed like a good enough prospect a few years ago.

careful ... your XBOX might show up missing ;o)

WMD
09-05-2009, 09:18 PM
He can take my XBox as long as the 360 is still here. Not that I play that or anything.

Jack hasn't even played yet.. he missed all of last year. If all else fails, he'd at least give Drew Stanton some company on IR.

SINCE1978
09-05-2009, 09:41 PM
According to Tim Twentyman (who?) on detnews.com

A few names could surface as possible waiver claims for the Lions by Sunday's noon deadline.

Safety Bernard Pollard was waived by the Chiefs and he has some history with current Lions defensive coordinator Gunther Cunningham. Pollard has started 31 games over the last two seasons in Kansas City and is a hard-hitting strong safety who was the team's leading tackler with a career-high 98 stops in 2008.

The Vikings released former cornerback Marcus McCauley, a former third-round pick. McCauley could perhaps be an option for the Lions, who are looking for depth in the secondary. He's flashed enough potential over the last two years that he could be attractive to the Lions.

Um .... okay, I guess. Any teams previous years leading tackler (Pollard) is fine by me.

WMD
09-05-2009, 10:12 PM
I was surprised to see Bernard Pollard get cut. I wouldn't mind a Marcus McCauley pickup, either. I liked him and wanted him on the Lions two years ago.

Brodeur
09-05-2009, 10:41 PM
Avien Cason will never leave. He may seem like he's gone now but he'll be back, oh he'll be back.

DoWnThEfiElD
09-06-2009, 11:10 AM
Cutting Shaun Smith is kind of surprising.

Prowler
09-06-2009, 11:34 AM
lol they just didn't want pollard to take out cassel's knee in practice

detroitsports
09-06-2009, 12:04 PM
Follett didn't play much, and I thought Gronkowski did very well.

Im pretty sure Murtha and Colbert run about the same 40.

SINCE1978
09-06-2009, 02:09 PM
Marcus McCauley is now a Lion. He can help us stop Favre in week 2. Ha!!!

familyguy555
09-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Such a great cut list. I'm glad we got rid of most of those scrubs but I wish we would have kept Follett.

coordinator0
09-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Looks like you guys picked up Figurs too. Hopefully he can regain some of his confidence back in Detroit.

WMD
09-06-2009, 04:07 PM
We got Figurs? Yuck.

superman8456
09-06-2009, 04:34 PM

He didnt do that bad for the Eagles and I was pretty surprised by the cut. Will be a great pickup for any team really.

Scotty D
09-06-2009, 04:46 PM
Follett and Gronkowski made the practice squad, joining Murtha. Figurs>Cason

Maybe Next Year Millen2
09-06-2009, 05:37 PM
Lions cut Ikaika Alama Francis. Yay another 2nd round Millen pick gone lol. What a joke Millen.

We have 2 open spots on the roster with O'Connell,Cletis Gordon,IAF and Adam Jennings cut today and only McCauley and Figurs signed.

WMD
09-06-2009, 05:43 PM
2 open spots - Bernard Pollard and Kory Sheets!

Maybe Next Year Millen2
09-06-2009, 05:52 PM
Pollard, Tim Crowder was cut I believe. Terrence Taylor would be someone to look at. We have some options. Glad Mayhew is active, Millen would be on vacation or something this weekend.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
09-06-2009, 05:54 PM
DE Copeland Bryan from Buffalo and Kevin Hobbs CB from Seattle. No clue who these guys are

WMD
09-06-2009, 06:14 PM
DE Copeland Bryan from Buffalo and Kevin Hobbs CB from Seattle. No clue who these guys are

Copeland Bryan is a Defensive End. Kevin Hobbs is a Cornerback.

That's all I got.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
09-06-2009, 06:17 PM
Copeland Bryan was undrafted by Tennessee so Schwartz must know him. If he sticks, he'll move Fluellen from backup LDE to the DT rotation.

Hobbs no clue. Been on Seattle for awhile played for Auburn. 6 corners now with Buchanon,Henry,King,McCauley,Will James and Hobbs.

SINCE1978
09-06-2009, 10:47 PM
So did we do addition by subtraction with the O'Connell trade for a draft pick and Simpson acquisition for a draft pick? Curious if the picks cancel each other out, anyone know the exact draft pick # we gave up & got?

IMHO, pretty smart if Mayhew got our 3rd string QB back by week 2 (Stanton), all previous draft picks in place (assuming the give away/pick-up were equals) and acquire a S who can contribute or maybe start (in Ko Simpson).
Not a huge fan of acquiring the leagues trash so to speak, but they have been very active in flushing the Millen stink from the roster. Props for that at least.

detroitsports
09-07-2009, 12:25 AM
Does this mean DJ Boldin made the team?

Bouty100
09-07-2009, 09:56 AM
Does this mean DJ Boldin made the team?

I was wondering this too. I didn't see him listed on the roster on their website or the practice squad list, but I also don't see anywhere that shows he was cut.

Bills2083
09-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Copeland Bryan is really not that bad of a DE for us.
He really seemed to have picked it up.

He was just a victim of a numbers game at DE.

Scotty D
09-07-2009, 01:48 PM
I was wondering this too. I didn't see him listed on the roster on their website or the practice squad list, but I also don't see anywhere that shows he was cut.

If I recall Boldin correctly was one of the first guys cut.

Xiomera
09-07-2009, 04:50 PM
http://detnews.com/article/20090907/SPORTS0101/909070351/

Finally a breakdown of the guys who actually remain on the team.

EDIT: DL and CB look like huge positions of need next year in the draft.

DoughBoy
09-07-2009, 06:01 PM
Has Eric King and Daniel Loper looked good?

Xiomera
09-07-2009, 06:05 PM
Has Eric King and Daniel Loper looked good?

Pretty good, yes. King was hurt this preseason. They're not studs, but they're solid.

Scotty D
09-08-2009, 02:01 AM
http://detnews.com/article/20090907/SPORTS0101/909070351/

Finally a breakdown of the guys who actually remain on the team.

EDIT: DL and CB look like huge positions of need next year in the draft.

I love the sleepers on our D-line in Cohen, Hill, Copeland, and Hunter. Gotta love how we used the waiver wire all off-season. Most recently the Ronald Curry for Orien Harris (who made the team, Curry cut by the Rams) and flipping O'Connell for any kind of compensation. Plus I think Figurs the best returner we've had since Eddie Drummond hahahahaha.

tblain1
09-08-2009, 11:35 AM
Cuts::

LB Rufus Alexander
QB Brooks Bollinger
G Milford Brown
TE Carson Butler
RB Aveion Cason
WR Keary Colbert
DE Sean Conover
K Billy Cundiff
DT Chuck Darby
RB Tristan Davis
LB Zack Follett
C Dan Gerberry
TE Dan Gronkowski
WR Dane Looker
DB Calvin Lowry
T Lydon Murtha
DB Ramzee Robinson
DB Stuart Schweigert
DT Shaun Smith
LB Spenser Smith
WR John Standeford

So much for the amazing Zack Follett. I remember someone was preaching his gospel during the draft. I guess he makes the practice squad, which is good.

Scotty D
09-08-2009, 02:42 PM
So much for the amazing Zack Follett. I remember someone was preaching his gospel during the draft. I guess he makes the practice squad, which is good.

The LBs are where we made the biggest leap in talent this year. He had no where to go.He had some promising plays in the pre-season. I like having him on the practice squad all year, it should really help him get acclimated and increase his chances of making the team next year. I mean really what is his ceiling? special teams ace and back up LB? I think sliding Murtha, Gronkowski, and Follett to the practice was either very lucky or they knew they wouldn't lose them. I mean thats three draft picks out of this year's class if they get claimed. I bet we still see those three this year on the 53 man when someone gets injured.

tblain1
09-09-2009, 02:49 PM
The LBs are where we made the biggest leap in talent this year. He had no where to go.He had some promising plays in the pre-season. I like having him on the practice squad all year, it should really help him get acclimated and increase his chances of making the team next year. I mean really what is his ceiling? special teams ace and back up LB? I think sliding Murtha, Gronkowski, and Follett to the practice was either very lucky or they knew they wouldn't lose them. I mean thats three draft picks out of this year's class if they get claimed. I bet we still see those three this year on the 53 man when someone gets injured.

I'll give you that. 2/3 our LBs were revamped with successful starters off last years squad. I just remember someone talking about jumping off a building during the draft if we didnt take him in a specific round.

Agreed about the Lions being lucky but I would also add that it doesn't say much about your draft if three of your picks were free to be had and no one wanted them. Hopefully they pan over the next year.

Scotty D
09-09-2009, 07:41 PM
I'll give you that. 2/3 our LBs were revamped with successful starters off last years squad. I just remember someone talking about jumping off a building during the draft if we didnt take him in a specific round.

Agreed about the Lions being lucky but I would also add that it doesn't say much about your draft if three of your picks were free to be had and no one wanted them. Hopefully they pan over the next year.

Seattle claimed Murtha and the Jets claimed Gronkowski, but they claimed multiple players and blah blah blah some how we didn't lose them. So those guys were wanted. But yeah I agree with you.

Maybe Next Year Millen2
09-09-2009, 08:00 PM
I think Follett injury hurt him making the roster. There was one spot open. Darnell Bing made the final roster. Foote,Sims,Peterson,Levy,Dizon,Bing. Guess Follett was a different position than Bing.

D-Unit
09-09-2009, 08:06 PM
You cut Billy Cuntsniff?!!!!!!1111 For shame... For shame.

SINCE1978
09-10-2009, 10:59 PM
I love the sleepers on our D-line in Cohen, Hill, Copeland, and Hunter. Gotta love how we used the waiver wire all off-season. Most recently the Ronald Curry for Orien Harris (who made the team, Curry cut by the Rams) and flipping O'Connell for any kind of compensation. Plus I think Figurs the best returner we've had since Eddie Drummond hahahahaha.

Currently watching Titans v. Steelers and my observation is not 1 of those 4 D-lineman you love would start for either team. This is an area of weakness that will be exposed often this year unfortunately.

Does anyone know the exact pick we obtained for the O'Connell trade?
Or what pick we gave up for Ko Simpson?

Brodeur
09-29-2009, 07:14 PM
Avien Cason will never leave. He may seem like he's gone now but he'll be back, oh he'll be back.

http://www.mlive.com/lions/index.ssf/2009/09/lions_cut_carson_butler_give_a.html

The Lions brought in running backs Aveion Cason and Kenny Watson for workouts...

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH GO AWAY! Also, Chuck Darby's worthless ass is back.

SINCE1978
09-29-2009, 09:08 PM
McCauley was cut to make room for Darby. What sense does that make?
We are paper thin in the secondary as it is and of the 11 guys mentioned being brought in, 6 were DB's ... wtf???
I guess I'm gun-shy in putting trust in our GM after being burned so many times in the past ...

BRAVEHEART
09-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Why wont Cason go away?

Notredameleo
09-30-2009, 09:20 AM
Idk, the only thing that Cason is semi-decent at is catching out of the backfield...Thats it!!!