PDA

View Full Version : Merriman arrested

cvv84
09-06-2009, 12:34 PM
The days prior to the 2008 regular-season opener were dominated by discussion regarding whether Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman would be able to play due to a torn PCL.

This year, the question is whether Merriman will be able to play after allegedly assaulting a D-level television celebrity named Tila Tequila.

Merriman allegedly "choked and physically restrained" Tequila as she tried to leave his San Diego residence.

He was taken into custody at 3:45 p.m. local time and charged with battery and false imprisonment. Tequila was taken to a local hospital for treatment.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/06/shawne-merriman-busted-for-battery-false-imprisonment/

BloodBrother
09-06-2009, 12:36 PM
Well that doesn't bode well. Roid rage

bigbluedefense
09-06-2009, 12:37 PM
roid rage? hahhaa jk.

But seriously, its Tila Tequila. Id choke the ***** too.

DoughBoy
09-06-2009, 12:37 PM
Roid rage can do that to a person.

Gay Ork Wang
09-06-2009, 12:38 PM
first 3 posts about roids lol

but yea, id rather give him a medal for choking Tila Tequila

Geo
09-06-2009, 12:38 PM
Seriously, LOL. This guy is such an idiot.

And I've always maintained that not only is he not the only idiot on the Chargers defense, but imo he's also not the only one using steroids. That's my personal opinion.

At least they drafted a good guy and a good player in Larry English to replace this nimrod.

Go_Eagles77
09-06-2009, 12:39 PM
This is bizarre.

bigbluedefense
09-06-2009, 12:39 PM
I wonder if he did the lights out dance after he banged Tila Tequila.

RaiderNation
09-06-2009, 12:41 PM
More good news for raider fans!

Geo
I'd like to see him do the lights out dance in an orange jumpsuit behind bars. That's the only time I'd like to see him do it.

And then lights do go out and he gets made a *****.

Celebration.

cvv84

Isn't that known to cause cancer in the state of California?

comahan
09-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Death Sentence!

Or give him a medal.

Hmm.

JFLO
09-06-2009, 12:43 PM
Haha, after I read this, this was the first thing I thought of:

Shawne Merriman
Height: 6'4"
Weight: 260-270
Profession: Professional Football Player

Tila Tequila
Height: 5'4"?
Weight: 90-110 pounds?
Profession: Professional waste?

Nice Shawne, very nice.

CC.SD
09-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Let's go English!

Honestly if given the opportunity I'd probably choke Tila too so it's tough to pass judgment here.

bigbluedefense
09-06-2009, 12:44 PM
Merriman mustve ripped her insides out Kobe Bryant on white girl style.

I seriously don't care since its Tila Tequila. I know I'll neg repped for that, but seriously, its Tila Tequila.

senormysterioso
09-06-2009, 12:46 PM
Merriman mustve ripped her insides out Kobe Bryant on white girl style.

I seriously don't care since its Tila Tequila. I know I'll neg repped for that, but seriously, its Tila Tequila.

Dude, the roids shrink your junk.

bigbluedefense
09-06-2009, 12:47 PM
Dude, the roids shrink your junk.

if we want to get technical, it shrinks the balls. not the shaft.

this thread is going in the wrong direction haha.

FUNBUNCHER
09-06-2009, 12:49 PM

Shawne Merriman

Tila Tequila

Nice Shawne, very nice.

I need more details, this makes no sense at all. Why would Merriman beef with a bisexual elf??

Where's the upside??

If he choked her, let's be honest, Tequlia would be R.I.P.

Oh, I just re-read the OP. It looks like Shawne was messing around with that freakazoid. This is a domestic non-story IMO. If there are no signs of physical bruising, I know this is chauvinist to say, but that trick is attempting to screw with Merriman's livelihood because he pissed her off.

But I did lose a few points of respect for Merriman for bringing that skank back to his crib to kick it!!

Ewwh!

Geo
09-06-2009, 12:50 PM
Can't say it registers for me because I have no idea who she is.

But crazy stuff happens Labor Day weekend.

Too bad Merriman missed the Maryland/Cal game last night.

CC.SD
09-06-2009, 12:51 PM
I don't care how ugly or annoying she is, this probably wouldn't have occurred if Shawne cared a little less about being famous and a little more about the trophy.

No Twitter updates yet, for the record. God, more Merriman drama.

bigbluedefense
09-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Im not gonna lie. Id hit it and quit it.

Id like triple wrap my condoms and spray rubbing alcohol in that vag before I entered, but id still hit it.

Shes the type that youd smash, but then feel guilty about afterwards.

T-RICH49
09-06-2009, 12:52 PM
as a man "what a lowlife"

as a Chiefs fan " what a lowlife and :D "

JRTPlaya21
09-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Lights out Shawne.

CLong4Heisman
09-06-2009, 01:00 PM
I'd give him a raise for beating tila tequila.

Saints 4 Lyfe
09-06-2009, 01:01 PM
i'd hit it...wait what?

BloodBrother
09-06-2009, 01:03 PM

hopefully he was wearing protection. Who knows what diseases she is infested with

JFLO
09-06-2009, 01:04 PM
Im not gonna lie. Id hit it and quit it.

Id like triple wrap my condoms and spray rubbing alcohol in that vag before I entered, but id still hit it.

Shes the type that youd smash, but then feel guilty about afterwards.

For who?

Because I would feel ashamed of myself.

Gay Ork Wang
09-06-2009, 01:07 PM
Well Shawne kinda hit it

RAVENS/WIZARDS/ORIOLES
09-06-2009, 01:09 PM
He is a dumb ass. I hope he gets suspended at least 2 weeks!!!! :)

bantx
09-06-2009, 01:15 PM
well isnt this just great, now im gonna have to choke a *****.

steelersfan43
09-06-2009, 01:31 PM
How do you guys all know who she is?

I googled her though and she looks do able

bantx
09-06-2009, 01:36 PM
oh god why would you do that.

Shane P. Hallam
09-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I don't care how ugly or annoying she is, this probably wouldn't have occurred if Shawne cared a little less about being famous and a little more about the trophy.

No Twitter updates yet, for the record. God, more Merriman drama.

Well, Twitter has been down all day today.

Shane P. Hallam
09-06-2009, 01:44 PM

She had her own TV Show.

Smooth Criminal
09-06-2009, 02:01 PM
HAHAHA Thats hilarious. Tila Tequila lol.

Smooth Criminal
09-06-2009, 02:04 PM

She had a reality show like the bachelor, only she hooked up with girls and guys. I'd say most guys know her lol

CJSchneider
09-06-2009, 02:08 PM
He was booked on battery and false imprisonment. Sounds like she wanted to leave and he got physical. Smooth move Merriman.

CC.SD
09-06-2009, 02:19 PM
Well, Twitter has been down all day today.

Merriman is a trending topic though. Maybe it's just your section of the internets.

FUNBUNCHER
09-06-2009, 02:30 PM
He was booked on battery and false imprisonment. Sounds like she wanted to leave and he got physical. Smooth move Merriman.

Neither you nor I knows exactly what happened. It's too early to speculate on anything except that he was charged with battery.

Common sense, (mine!!), says there's no WAY he hit that little elf, otherwise she'd be in an ER somewhere.

M.O.T.H.
09-06-2009, 02:41 PM
I'd feel pretty comfortable saying Roid Rage on this one as well. I wouldnt doubt he's still on something. Or perhaps he's just an ass naturally?

YAYareaRB
09-06-2009, 02:42 PM
Aaaaand there goes that career. I'm talking about Merriman because he's the only involved person with one.

bigbluedefense
09-06-2009, 02:44 PM
that Larry English pick is looking better and better. I loved that pick from the get go btw.

But I wouldn't put too much weight into this. I mean come on, as a Giants fan, I seen LT do dumb **** all the time. He still came to play and let the rhino out on Sunday.

Merriman will do the same.

awfullyquiet
09-06-2009, 02:45 PM
C48LqBf9P5Y

and peyton manning was all alone...

FUNBUNCHER
09-06-2009, 02:45 PM
Oh yeah, Merriman's the only player in the NFL who's ever used 'roids.

That makes sense.

Didn't realize there were so many closet haters on Big Shawne.

A dollar bet says the charges are dropped.

DoughBoy
09-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Neither you nor I knows exactly what happened. It's too early to speculate on anything except that he was charged with battery.

Common sense, (mine!!), says there's no WAY he hit that little elf, otherwise she'd be in an IR somewhere.

I dont think it said he hit her. Just restrained her. Still he comes off as the type of guy that would do this.

bigbluedefense
09-06-2009, 02:48 PM
Merriman is a douche off the field, but I still feel he's the best pass rushing force at rushbacker ive seen since LT.

I know Ware overtook him in the convo in most ppl's eyes, but I personally believe Merriman will take the throne back from him this year. The guy can't cover like Ware, but I still feel he's the better pass rusher.

And since I know its going to pop up since i said it, no, im not bashing Ware. I think he's a monster. I just prefer Merriman. Just one man's opinion. I think Merriman has been slept on this past season or so.

Its like just bc the guy was out for the season, we all forgot about how dominant he truly was. The guy is a beast and will show it this year. Just watch.

BloodBrother
09-06-2009, 02:53 PM
Merriman failed his shot at love

FUNBUNCHER
09-06-2009, 02:54 PM
Merriman is a douche off the field, but I still feel he's the best pass rushing force at rushbacker ive seen since LT.

I know Ware overtook him in the convo in most ppl's eyes, but I personally believe Merriman will take the throne back from him this year. The guy can't cover like Ware, but I still feel he's the better pass rusher.

And since I know its going to pop up since i said it, no, im not bashing Ware. I think he's a monster. I just prefer Merriman. Just one man's opinion. I think Merriman has been slept on this past season or so.

Its like just bc the guy was out for the season, we all forgot about how dominant he truly was. The guy is a beast and will show it this year. Just watch.

+1

Whenever I see him rush the passer, the word 'relentless' always comes to mind.

FUNBUNCHER
09-06-2009, 03:02 PM
Ugh!!

Just heard on the radio that skank was Merriman's GIRLFRIEND!!!!!

NOOOOoo!!!

Man, what happened to you, fam!!!???

senormysterioso
09-06-2009, 03:10 PM
Everything about Merriman screams douche to me...the lights out nonsense, the attempts at trash talking, and now Tila Tequilla??

M.O.T.H.
09-06-2009, 03:11 PM
Didn't he also have a thing with that Kendra chick who is married to Hank Baskett now? He must have a thing for reality tv. haha.

BloodBrother
09-06-2009, 03:12 PM
It's unfortunate but some of these athletes just have terrible taste in women. Alex Rodriguez is a prime example of this as well

M.O.T.H.
09-06-2009, 03:16 PM
Kate Hudson is a babe, imo.

DoughBoy
09-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Kate Hudson is hot as hell. U needz 2 get eyez tezted.

CC.SD
09-06-2009, 03:25 PM
More info:

It was a citizen's arrest by Tila.

Shawne says he was stopping her from driving drunk.

There are plenty of witnesses that are being interviewed.

TMZ has them hanging out all night.

AJ Smith sounds pissed.

So take from that whatever you will.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-beat/Merriman-Arrested-for-Allegedly-Choking-Tila-Tequila--57607562.html

DoughBoy
09-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Wow he strangled her to save us!!!! What a hero!!!!!

CashmoneyDrew
09-06-2009, 03:31 PM

Bahahaha, Shawne Merriman is a gentleman and a saint after all!

xxxxxxxx
09-06-2009, 03:38 PM
More info:

AJ Smith sounds pissed.

http://www.nbcsandiego.com/news/local-beat/Merriman-Arrested-for-Allegedly-Choking-Tila-Tequila--57607562.html

look at how chargers fan just try to defend but if it was any other team they would rip that player apart. lol

CC.SD
09-06-2009, 03:44 PM
look at how chargers fan just try to defend but if it was any other team they would rip that player apart. lol

What have I said? Those are things in the article, I don't care. Another Merriman antic, wooo.

Xenos
09-06-2009, 03:45 PM

Well to be fair, it's a he said she said situation. She doesn't have any noticeable signs of injury on her when she was taken to the hospital, so the situation could have been her just calling the police because she was pissed off at him and nothing else. She is also apparently crazy according to her myspace blog.

Though I seriously question his taste in women, just like Ben, you can't be guilty just for having poor taste.

xxxxxxxx
09-06-2009, 03:49 PM
What have I said? Those are things in the article, I don't care. Another Merriman antic, wooo.

utttt ohhhh neg rep me. hahaa

CC.SD
09-06-2009, 03:59 PM
utttt ohhhh neg rep me. hahaa

Petty of me, I know, but you were way off. I love your username though.

xxxxxxxx
09-06-2009, 04:00 PM
thanks homieeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.

Shahin
09-06-2009, 04:01 PM
Steve doesn't think this is a big deal at all.

Everyone knows you have to damn near beat a chick within an inch of her life these days for them to get off.

steve's the ******' man!

and i don't care what anybody says, i'd hit it.

YAYareaRB
09-06-2009, 04:58 PM
If that was his girlfriend then I could honestly see him trying to stop her from drunk driving. Tila is well known for her drinking and partying.

BlindSite
09-06-2009, 05:06 PM
If that was his girlfriend then I could honestly see him trying to stop her from drunk driving. Tila is well known for her drinking and partying.

Good effort trying to justify being a scum bag.

"you drivin!, am I gonna have to choke a *****?"

I wish I was tough enough to beat up women a qtr of my size.

JFLO
09-06-2009, 05:08 PM

If he needed to do that then he could have just picked her up with one hand and put her to bed.

Xenos
09-06-2009, 05:09 PM
Good effort trying to justify being a scum bag.

"you drivin!, am I gonna have to choke a *****?"

I wish I was tough enough to beat up women a qtr of my size.
Once again, you're assuming that he actually did choke her. This is a citizen arrest, which means that she could have him arrested without any proof that he did anything to her.

Xenos
09-06-2009, 05:10 PM
If he needed to do that then he could have just picked her up with one hand and put her to bed.

Maybe that's where the choking and domestic violence complaint came from. He tried to pick her up to put her to bed, but she's so small that it came off as him choking her.

DragonFireKai
09-06-2009, 05:53 PM
More info:

AJ Smith sounds pissed.

Well, to be honest, Tila Tequila's a little insidious *****, and I wouldn't be suprised if she did just call the cops in a fit of pique. I'm not a fan of Merriman, but I would give him the benefit of the doubt in this, and only this, situation.

Komp
09-06-2009, 05:59 PM
Hmm...they better give him a 1 game suspension until they figure this all out...lol....

I think Merriman is going to be scary good this season and if he is somehow unable to play against us on MNF that would be a blessing. It will be hard enough to hang with the Chargers considering how dysfunctional/bad we have been.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH
09-06-2009, 06:24 PM

Ware is better all-around but Merriman is definitely the better pass rusher.

Whistler6
09-06-2009, 06:55 PM
When AJ Smith told Merriman to be more like Lawrence Taylor...I think he meant on the field not off

Bucs_Rule
09-06-2009, 07:36 PM
Well to be fair, it's a he said she said situation. She doesn't have any noticeable signs of injury on her when she was taken to the hospital, so the situation could have been her just calling the police because she was pissed off at him and nothing else. She is also apparently crazy according to her myspace blog.

Though I seriously question his taste in women, just like Ben, you can't be guilty just for having poor taste.

If someone is chocked don't they usually have marks on the throat?

He does have a plausible reason for restraining her. Of course he could have made that up as an excuse, its impossible to know based on the evidence at this point.

soybean
09-06-2009, 07:40 PM
you guys all rip him for hooking up with tila tequila... news flash... he's not really a good looking guy, in fact i'd say he borderlines ape looking with a funny shaped head.

dpl85
09-06-2009, 07:41 PM
He was mad because she gave him every STD and some that haven't even been discovered yet. This dude's a joke. I'm so glad Parcells recognized his character concerns before the draft and took Ware. DeMarcus adopted a baby and Shawne beats up 90 lb Asian women when he's not injecting needles in his ass.

FUNBUNCHER
09-06-2009, 08:01 PM
you guys all rip him for hooking up with tila tequila... news flash... he's not really a good looking guy, in fact i'd say he borderlines ape looking with a funny shaped head.

Spoken like a man who really appreciates the aesthetics of a good looking dude.

LOL!

Rosebud
09-06-2009, 08:03 PM
Chocking Tila Tequila should be rewarded and not punished.

The Unseen
09-06-2009, 08:06 PM
this thread has more steroid jokes and implicit sexism than I can handle

DoughBoy
09-06-2009, 08:32 PM
He was mad because she gave him every STD and some that haven't even been discovered yet. This dude's a joke. I'm so glad Parcells recognized his character concerns before the draft and took Ware. DeMarcus adopted a baby and Shawne beats up 90 lb Asian women when he's not injecting needles in his ass.

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5643/whatutalkinboutbabynz8.gif

Whistler6
09-06-2009, 10:54 PM
So Merriman gave Tila a "shot" at love?

Cocain's a helluva drug

soybean
09-07-2009, 12:21 AM
Spoken like a man who really appreciates the aesthetics of a good looking dude.

LOL!

i just really like to point out the ugliness of some people.

mellojello
09-07-2009, 12:26 AM
Chocking Tila Tequila should be rewarded and not punished.Perhaps, but being associated with her is what he should be punished for. She has trouble maker written all over her.

Xenos
09-07-2009, 01:25 AM
Ware is better all-around but Merriman is definitely the better pass rusher.

Ware is better in coverage, while Merriman is a better pass rusher. That is true. However, what's often overlooked is that Merriman is a beast against the run as well.

Basileus777
09-07-2009, 01:29 AM
Merriman is a beast against the run as well.

He is. I'd even argue that that is the biggest difference between the two players.

Xenos
09-07-2009, 01:56 AM
Some more info

http://www.nctimes.com/sports/football/professional/nfl/chargers/article_5286937a-ba34-5454-ac38-33cd28738189.html

SAN DIEGO ---- Chargers outside linebacker Shawne Merriman was arrested on Sunday and has been accused of choking and physically restraining girlfriend and MTV reality television star Tila Tequila as she tried to leave his Poway home.

Tequila, whose real name is Tila Nguyen, signed a citizen's arrest report and has charged Merriman with battery and false imprisonment. Both charges are felonies.

San Diego County Sheriff's deputies responded to a 911 call made by Tequila at 3:45 a.m. Sunday, claiming that Merriman had thrown her to the ground, choked her and kept her from leaving the residence.

Merriman was taken into custody, transported to the Poway Sheriff's Station for questioning, taken to jail at 8:31 a.m. and released at 11:09 a.m.

Tequila, 27, was taken by ambulance to Pomerado Hospital at her own request.

"Deputies did not observe any injuries to her, but she wanted to go and that is her right," Sheriff's Department spokeswoman Jan Caldwell said.

According to Pomerado spokesman Andy Hong, Tequila was treated and released at 7:36 a.m. in good condition.

Caldwell said that alcohol was involved in the incident, and that Tequila admitted to being intoxicated. She could not speak to Merriman's level of intoxication early Sunday morning.

"During the evening, Ms. Tequila was extremely intoxicated, inebriated and Mr. Merriman did everything he could to assist her in arranging for transportation to leave his home," Todd Macaluso, Merriman's attorney, told reporters. "At no time did Mr. Merriman assault her; at no time did Mr. Merriman keep her against her will. His intentions were nothing but good."

Tequila's attorney, Scott Leemon, said in a statement that neither Tequila nor her representatives would comment publicly about the incident.

Caldwell said there were other people at Merriman's house at the time of the alleged incident, and some had already been interviewed by detectives as of Sunday afternoon. The investigation is ongoing, and Caldwell said the district attorney's office would decide whether to pursue the case and file formal charges.

"It's up to the district attorney as to whether these charges will stick, or if other charges apply, or if any apply," Caldwell said.

Tequila was an Internet celebrity on MySpace.com and starred in her own MTV reality show, "A Shot at Love with Tila Tequila." The bisexual dating show, which ran for two seasons, featured men and women competing for Tequila's affection.

Tequila was in San Diego to attend Friday's preseason contest against San Francisco and went to Stingaree, a nightclub in downtown San Diego, with Merriman and others on Saturday night.

Stingaree released a statement Sunday saying, "Stingaree can confirm that Shawne Merriman and Tila 'Tequila' Nguyen arrived at Stingaree on Saturday evening together and joined a birthday celebration with friends already going on in the Penthouse. Merriman and Tequila stayed until closing in the early hours of Sunday morning. They seemed in good spirits throughout the evening and were enjoying themselves. There was no outward indication of any problem between the two of them."

Both Merriman, 25, and Tequila regularly update their Twitter profiles, but neither had posted anything regarding the alleged incident as of late Sunday afternoon.

While Merriman received a four-game suspension after testing positive for steroids in 2006, this is his first run-in with the law.

"It's disappointing to hear about the issue regarding Shawne Merriman," Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith said in a statement. "We'll continue to monitor the situation and let the legal process run its course."

Precedent suggests the team won't take punitive action until the legal process is complete. If nothing else, the incident is a distraction leading up to the Chargers' regular-season opener at Oakland on Sept. 14.

It will be Merriman's first regular season contest in more than a year. The three-time Pro Bowler had season-ending knee surgery after the 2008 opener and has gone through extensive rehab in an attempt to return to form.

CC.SD
09-07-2009, 02:43 AM
Statement from Merriman

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/10031914/Exclusive:-Merriman-says-he-didn't-hurt-'Tequila'

According to Merriman: "On September 6, 2009 the San Diego Sheriff's Department responded to a citizen's complaint that was initiated by Tila Nguyen (aka Tila Tequila). I was taken into custody based upon that complaint. At the time, I was concerned about her welfare given the intoxicated state she appeared to be in and I encouraged her to stay until safe transportation could be provided.

"We would all do our best to help a friend if we considered their actions to be detrimental to their personal safety. I in no way caused any harm to Ms. Nguyen, however, paramedics were called and she was examined but no injuries were reported. She was released and has since returned to Los Angeles, California. "There have been no charges filed against me. I want to thank the San Diego Sheriff's Department for their professionalism. I will continue to cooperate fully with the Department, and I look forward to clearing my name regarding these false allegations. I want to put this behind me so I can continue to focus on a successful season for the San Diego Chargers."

So maybe I'm biased but it really is starting to look like Tila is just a total nutjob. The fact that there were tons of witnesses and no marks on her helps.

DoughBoy
09-07-2009, 02:48 AM
Well it does look like Shawne is innocent, he still seems like a giant douche.

Brothgar
09-07-2009, 09:11 AM

Shawne Merriman

Tila Tequila

Nice Shawne, very nice.

He needed someone who wouldn't pop his tiny balls. Roids will do that to you.

I need more details, this makes no sense at all. Why would Merriman beef with a bisexual elf??

Where's the upside??

Oh, I just re-read the OP. It looks like Shawne was messing around with that freakazoid. This is a domestic non-story IMO. If there are no signs of physical bruising, I know this is chauvinist to say, but that trick is attempting to screw with Merriman's livelihood because he pissed her off.

But I did lose a few points of respect for Merriman for bringing that skank back to his crib to kick it!!

Ewwh!

Not everyone is a liar who accuses NFL players of $#!+. EDIT: Yeah but Merriman's side of the story actually makes alot more sense.

Brent
09-07-2009, 09:14 AM
Sounds like she wanted to leave while wasted and then drunkenly called 9-1-1 and said something was going on that wasn't. If that's true or not, we don't know for sure. Should be interesting.

"I remember my first beer..."

FUNBUNCHER
09-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I can't believe Tila ratted Shawne out to 5-0 then jetted back the next morning to L.A.

That is low down and evil, IMO.

Next time I bet Merriman let's that skank drive her ass back to wherever. If she wraps herself around a telephone pole, oh well.....

EDIT: Just heard that Tila twittered or released through her lawyer it's impossible that she was intoxicated on the night in question because despite her name, Tila claims she's allergic to alcohol!!!

Didn't she used to regularly get bombed on her reality TV show??

There were people at his crib who saw everything that went down, paramedics reported alcohol was involved in the incident, so where is she coming from with this??

Xenos
09-07-2009, 12:46 PM

Now that I think about it, do those two even play the same positions? Merriman is usually the SOLB in the 3-4, while Ware is the WOLB. It's Shaun Phillips who usually lines up on the WOLB side.

bigbluedefense
09-07-2009, 01:17 PM
Now that I think about it, do those two even play the same positions? Merriman is usually the SOLB in the 3-4, while Ware is the WOLB. It's Shaun Phillips who usually lines up on the WOLB side.

Ware was almost exclusively a WILLbacker under Parcells, but Wade does a good job of moving him around. Ware lines up at both positions and RE in 4 man nickel fronts for Wade.

Im pretty sure they do the same thing with Merriman no?

EDIT: Ware lines up at RE in 4 man lines, not LE.

CC.SD
09-07-2009, 01:20 PM
Ware was almost exclusively a WILLbacker under Parcells, but Wade does a good job of moving him around. Ware lines up at both positions and LE in 4 man nickel fronts for Wade.

Im pretty sure they do the same thing with Merriman no?

Wade shifted Merriman around a lot but Cottrell basically left him on the strong side, not to mention didn't blitz him very often. 2009 will be his first year under Rivera and there have been a few articles detailing some exotic blitz packages.

bigbluedefense
09-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Wade shifted Merriman around a lot but Cottrell basically left him on the strong side, not to mention didn't blitz him very often. 2009 will be his first year under Rivera and there have been a few articles detailing some exotic blitz packages.

I didnt like what Rivera did last year when he took over. He had too many 4-3 alignments.

But then again, he didn't have Merriman. I guess we'll have to wait and see what he does. Im skeptical bc he's not a 3-4 guy, but at the same time, the talent is good enough to work regardless.

Cotrell was terrible.

bantx
09-07-2009, 01:26 PM
i dont want to hear Cotrells name ever again

DeCrunkMAn
09-07-2009, 04:47 PM
My biggest dreams would be if Merriman gets traded/released and picked up the Cowboys for a Ware/Merriman duo. Sadly that'll never happen :(

fenikz
09-07-2009, 04:52 PM
I can't believe Tila ratted Shawne out to 5-0 then jetted back the next morning to L.A.

That is low down and evil, IMO.

Next time I bet Merriman let's that skank drive her ass back to wherever. If she wraps herself around a telephone pole, oh well.....

EDIT: Just heard that Tila twittered or released through her lawyer it's impossible that she was intoxicated on the night in question because despite her name, Tila claims she's allergic to alcohol!!!

Didn't she used to regularly get bombed on her reality TV show??

There were people at his crib who saw everything that went down, paramedics reported alcohol was involved in the incident, so where is she coming from with this??

Aren't we all allergic to it? Isn't that what makes us ****** up?

Gay Ork Wang
09-07-2009, 04:55 PM
isnt she drinking champagner and taht stuff on her show? i kinda expect her to

Xenos
09-07-2009, 05:31 PM
And to the poster who said Merriman wasn't very good in coverage, I beg to differ. He may not be as good as Ware, but he's quite solid. It's just that he a monster in pass rushing. I remember when Cottrell would have Merriman out in coverage a lot in 2007, there was a game where he held Tony Gonzales in check. That was until he went to the sidelines for a breather, and Tony Gonzales scored a TD when that happened.

Staubach12
09-08-2009, 01:39 AM
He's Chris Brown plus roids. And, that is all.

Staubach12
09-08-2009, 01:40 AM

I don't care if you ARE an ape. You have got to have some standards.

FUNBUNCHER
09-08-2009, 02:17 AM
The witnesses at Merriman's crib confirm his version of events, genuises, not Tequila's.

Notice how no charges have been filed against Merriman by SDPD. Funny thing, evidence.
It will kick you in the ass everytime.

Rosebud
09-08-2009, 02:19 AM
It will kick you in the ass everytime.

Especially when it's fabricated against you...:confused:

DMWSackMachine
09-08-2009, 04:49 PM
Regardless of the guilt involved, here, Merriman has thrown away much of what he could have been.

And I strongly contest the assertion that he is a better pass rusher than Ware. That is ridiculous. Ware has taken it up another notch each of the last two years, and even before last year, in 2007, when both were healthy, Ware beat Merriman out in the sack race. And that was before he posted 20 in a season (something only 5 men have done).

Ware is the better pass rusher, the better player in coverage, the better run defender, and the better player overall. Though Merriman is no slouch, either.

Its funny because I was just thinking that he had become a little underrated after missing last year, and then I come on here and hear people talking like this. Wow.

wicket
09-08-2009, 04:54 PM

Where's the upside??

Ewwh!

my thought

Xenos
09-08-2009, 09:58 PM
Regardless of the guilt involved, here, Merriman has thrown away much of what he could have been.

And I strongly contest the assertion that he is a better pass rusher than Ware. That is ridiculous. Ware has taken it up another notch each of the last two years, and even before last year, in 2007, when both were healthy, Ware beat Merriman out in the sack race. And that was before he posted 20 in a season (something only 5 men have done).

Ware is the better pass rusher, the better player in coverage, the better run defender, and the better player overall. Though Merriman is no slouch, either.

Its funny because I was just thinking that he had become a little underrated after missing last year, and then I come on here and hear people talking like this. Wow.
That's because Cottrell had Merriman out in coverage for half the season.

doingthisinsteadofwork
09-08-2009, 11:09 PM
He should have been arrested for going out with her hes a football star surely he could do alot better than that hell even I can do better than Tila Tequila.

wogitalia
09-09-2009, 12:14 AM
I get the feeling that her show has somehow made her a lot less attractive to people.

I know nothing about her personally, but she is aesthetically appealing and she is very much not my type. If she was a normal girl though, I'd hit it.

CC.SD
09-09-2009, 12:39 AM

This comes off pretty insecure to me, it's not a D Ware thread. Also, who cares?

FUNBUNCHER
09-09-2009, 01:55 AM
Neither Merriman or D Ware are significantly better or worse than the other, IMO. Both of them are elite 3-4 OLBs, 1-2 however you wanna rank them.

Parcells picked Merriman over Ware because he thought Ware was a little more fluid and less stiff through the hips, but anyone can see that assessment was mistaken.
Like CC.SD said, no one is dissing Ware, but this still happens to be a thread about Merriman's performance off the field, not on, no need to take cheap shots on Big Shawne's play.

wicket
09-09-2009, 02:09 AM
I get the feeling that her show has somehow made her a lot less attractive to people.

I know nothing about her personally, but she is aesthetically appealing and she is very much not my type. If she was a normal girl though, I'd hit it.

http://static.thehollywoodgossip.com/images/gallery/tila-tequila-picture.jpg
http://lifesizestatue.com/images/lg04alien02017.jpg
this is the reason i dont find her attractive

Brothgar
09-09-2009, 08:54 AM

QFT I'd hit it if there wasn't a chance of picking up every VD known to man.

DMWSackMachine
09-09-2009, 02:29 PM
That's because Cottrell had Merriman out in coverage for half the season.

It's funny. That used to be Cowboys fans' excuse back in the Parcells days.

This comes off pretty insecure to me, it's not a D Ware thread. Also, who cares?

Excuse me? So you guys are allowed to have a circle jerk about your clearly inferior player on the general board without any response? I'm not the one that brought it up, nor do I wish to even discuss it at this point in time (although I will be making my annual comparison thread at some point this season...as long as its worth talking about) but the stuff you guys were spouting warranted a response. Ware has clearly moved ahead of Merriman as a player, even compared to Shawne's peak, and I'm sure the vast majority of posters share the sentiment.

If there was a thread about Reggie Bush and Kim Kardashian, and some random Bush lover took the thread on a tangent about him being so great and better than DeAngelo Williams, though all recent evidence suggests otherwise, it would get a response and warrant it.

In fact, you are the one who sounds insecure. I merely stated the fact, but throwing a rock at your glass house has you a little worried, it appears. Just made the obvious rebuttal to the "Merriman is better than Ware in X ways." None of what was said is true.

And don't think just because BBD started it that its ok. He's notorious for a) being a contrarian and arguing the less popular notion and b) unassumingly and skillfully provoking me in a way that can never be pinned on him :)

FUNBUNCHER
09-09-2009, 02:34 PM
Merriman>>>Ware 24/7.

DMWSackMachine
09-09-2009, 03:36 PM
Romo>>>>>Brady 24/7

I guess that makes it true, eh?

Gay Ork Wang
09-09-2009, 03:38 PM
Romo>>>>>Brady 24/7

I guess that makes it true, eh?
it does. true story.

FUNBUNCHER
09-09-2009, 03:41 PM
Are you canadian, DMW??
Eh?

Xenos
09-10-2009, 12:02 AM

Excuse me? So you guys are allowed to have a circle jerk about your clearly inferior player on the general board without any response? I'm not the one that brought it up, nor do I wish to even discuss it at this point in time (although I will be making my annual comparison thread at some point this season...as long as its worth talking about) but the stuff you guys were spouting warranted a response. Ware has clearly moved ahead of Merriman as a player, even compared to Shawne's peak, and I'm sure the vast majority of posters share the sentiment.

If there was a thread about Reggie Bush and Kim Kardashian, and some random Bush lover took the thread on a tangent about him being so great and better than DeAngelo Williams, though all recent evidence suggests otherwise, it would get a response and warrant it.

In fact, you are the one who sounds insecure. I merely stated the fact, but throwing a rock at your glass house has you a little worried, it appears. Just made the obvious rebuttal to the "Merriman is better than Ware in X ways." None of what was said is true.

And don't think just because BBD started it that its ok. He's notorious for a) being a contrarian and arguing the less popular notion and b) unassumingly and skillfully provoking me in a way that can never be pinned on him :)

And they were right about that as well. Parcells did have Ware out in coverage more than Wade. That's not surprising that Ware is doing better under Wade considering the year that Merriman had under him when he was the DC of SD. We'll see how they do this year under hopefully equal footing. If Merriman is 100% back from his injuries, I can see a tight race between the two.

cvv84
09-11-2009, 06:27 PM
The case against Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman has been closed, only five days after he allegedly battered and falsely imprisoned a reality star whose 15 minutes of fame might finally have run out.

According to 10News, the San Diego County District Attorney has concluded that there is "insufficient evidence to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that any crime was committed." (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/11/judgment-day-comes-merriman-case-closed/)

Settled but not a good thing to have happen during your contract year.

D-Unit
09-11-2009, 06:30 PM
And they were right about that as well. Parcells did have Ware out in coverage more than Wade. That's not surprising that Ware is doing better under Wade considering the year that Merriman had under him when he was the DC of SD. We'll see how they do this year under hopefully equal footing. If Merriman is 100% back from his injuries, I can see a tight race between the two.
I don't know if Ware will ever get 20 sacks again, but I know Merriman won't.

CC.SD
09-11-2009, 07:06 PM

Actually it is completely impossible to know that.

I'm not a fan of generalizations but seriously, give it a rest Cowboy fans. I love you guys most of the time, but the whole Ware/Merriman thing is sooooo boring at this point. And too often the slightest compliment to Merriman sprouts up a slew of 'zomg ware is betterzz' comments. Just let them both wreck quarterbacks. On the field, I doubt any Bolt fan would trade Merriman for Ware, and I am just as sure that the opposite is true.

Saints-Tigers
09-11-2009, 07:15 PM
Sacks are a pretty circumstantial stat. Guys that rank high year in and year out should get credit, but hitting a super high mark doesn't necessarily make you better. Unless you think Mike Strahan is the greatest pass rusher of all time.

Shiver
09-11-2009, 07:55 PM
Actually it is completely impossible to know that.

I'm not a fan of generalizations but seriously, give it a rest Cowboy fans. I love you guys most of the time, but the whole Ware/Merriman thing is sooooo boring at this point. And too often the slightest compliment to Merriman sprouts up a slew of 'zomg ware is betterzz' comments. Just let them both wreck quarterbacks. On the field, I doubt any Bolt fan would trade Merriman for Ware, and I am just as sure that the opposite is true.

We will see what you say when San Diego lets him go next off-season.

bantx
09-11-2009, 08:11 PM

Shawne Merriman's rookie year, he didn't start till his 7th game and that year he got 10 sacks.

2nd year he only played 12 games and he recorded 17 sacks

3rd year 15 games 12 sacks

I don't think Merriman getting 20 sacks is impossible, I dont think it is impossible playing in the AFC west.

D-Unit
09-11-2009, 08:12 PM
Shawne Merriman's rookie year, he didn't start till his 7th game and that year he got 10 sacks.

2nd year he only played 12 games and he recorded 17 sacks

3rd year 15 games 12 sacks

I don't think Merriman getting 20 sacks isnt impossible, I'd think its very possible playing in the AFC west.
Now I know why you have that avy! It hypnotizes people first then when they read your posts, they believe it! ahahaha.

So you in my new league or no?

bantx
09-11-2009, 08:13 PM
Now I know why you have that avy! It hypnotizes people first then when they read your posts, they believe it! ahahaha.

So you in my new league or no?

When is the draft? because I'm pretty busy this weekend.

Xenos
09-11-2009, 09:09 PM
There's more chances of it not happening IMO especially with the charges dropped against Merriman. More than likely, we'll keep franchising like the Ravens did with Suggs. Also alot of it will not only depend on how he plays this season, but what the Cowboys give Ware as well.

CC.SD
09-12-2009, 03:29 AM

I will still be bored by the Merriman/Ware debate. When Merriman does walk, it will be because AJ Smith hates him.

bigbluedefense
09-12-2009, 10:20 AM

haha :) Trust me, I had no intention of purposely trying to ruffle your feathers. To be honest, I have no real reason to believe what I believe. Its more of a hunch. I just think Merriman is gonna go ape **** this year. He goes against worse olines.

Like I said, I really have no legit reason. Its just a hunch. He's gonna let the ogre out this year. I also like his pass rush moves more, bc he uses his hands more. But again, theres no quantifiable reason why I feel this way. I just do. *shrug*

Xenos
09-12-2009, 05:00 PM
I will still be bored by the Merriman/Ware debate. When Merriman does walk, it will be because AJ Smith hates him.
Right now I think there's a bigger chance that Cro gets let go before Merriman.